User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 10-21-2008, 10:42 PM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,571 Times in 5,078 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
Nice Video of Huelsman

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I look at Huelsman as a big recruiting success for BG a few years ago. I wasn't sure what to expect from him when we secured him, but he is turning into our best post threat since KW and Finn. And he stopped the defensive bleeding we had when we were getting shoved around under the rim before he arrived.

Last edited by Fudd; 10-22-2008 at 01:26 AM..
Advertisement
Old 10-22-2008, 12:54 AM
Major

Flyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond repute
Totally surprised that he can't shoot a layup with his left had!
Old 10-22-2008, 10:11 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 4,000 Times in 1,176 Posts
THirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for posting the video, Fudd. I think Kurt could be a big key to our success this year. He's gone up against a lot of tough centers in the last two years - Aaron Gray, Tyler Hansbrough, DeJuan Blair, etc. and has done fairly well. Hopefully, he's now at a weight and strength level that will allow him to be effective without being hurt all year.

Kurt is a good example of the type of player Dayton has to have to be successful. He's probably played many more minutes in his first two years than BG envisioned when recruiting him (some guy named Desmond was supposed to be our starting center this year). But, he's had time to learn, to grow, to gain experience, and now as an upperclassman, we're counting on him to produce.

A lot will depend on how we run our offense. I think we need 8-10 ppg from Kurt on a more consistent basis, and we need more defensive boards from him. I know he does a good job of anchoring the defense and blocking his own guy out, but he needs to go and get the ball more, if we're going to be successful. If he's the one coralling the rebound, that frees up the faster, more athletic guys to get out on the break and fill the lanes. If Wright is grabbing the rebound, he can't also be streaking up the sideline for an alley-oop dunk that forces a timeout from the bewildered opposing coach.

Oooh, Flyer hoops. I can almost taste it.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:37 AM
General

Thanked 1,268 Times in 786 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by THirt View Post
Thanks for posting the video, Fudd. I think Kurt could be a big key to our success this year. He's gone up against a lot of tough centers in the last two years - Aaron Gray, Tyler Hansbrough, DeJuan Blair, etc. and has done fairly well. Hopefully, he's now at a weight and strength level that will allow him to be effective without being hurt all year.

Kurt is a good example of the type of player Dayton has to have to be successful. He's probably played many more minutes in his first two years than BG envisioned when recruiting him (some guy named Desmond was supposed to be our starting center this year). But, he's had time to learn, to grow, to gain experience, and now as an upperclassman, we're counting on him to produce.

A lot will depend on how we run our offense. I think we need 8-10 ppg from Kurt on a more consistent basis, and we need more defensive boards from him. I know he does a good job of anchoring the defense and blocking his own guy out, but he needs to go and get the ball more, if we're going to be successful. If he's the one coralling the rebound, that frees up the faster, more athletic guys to get out on the break and fill the lanes. If Wright is grabbing the rebound, he can't also be streaking up the sideline for an alley-oop dunk that forces a timeout from the bewildered opposing coach.

kurt seems to be one of those guys that gets 4 points for 2 games, then 14/15 later on. in principle i agree- would use 8-12 from him.

keeps the other team honest, and opens up outside for kickouts.

totally agreed re defensive boards, should see 5-7 eZ. and one reason is so others can start the break. not sure u can plan who gets rebounds, but i'm fairly certain there are some boxing out /zone/3 man schemes where he's one of the main three contending for the boards.

a problem and good thing about our boards last year, is that any position 1-5 (well maybe not BR) could get rebounds. meaning we were agressive from all angles an dplayers. if guys like little/kurt/3rd big are main contenders, it opens up the marcus' and 1 and 2 guards and chris to fill lanes and move.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:42 AM
General

Thanked 1,268 Times in 786 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by THirt View Post

on video, it's a learned move both the reverse and the initial going into the lane.

he better learn to get it to one dribble sometimes and quicken his timing. while he's good at protecting the ball the deliberate slow penetration to hole is l o n g g g . May be good enuf for college . if he can quicken it up, he could score 12-15 more often.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:02 AM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,927 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
Flyer 2:

One of the oldest drills in the book--alternately shooting layups/hookshots from the left and then the right.

It's called the "Mikan Drill" after Big George, the first dominant college big man, who played college hoops 60 years ago at Minnesota.

Kurt will be even more effective if he can develop moves from both sides of the hoop.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:42 PM
Captain

chicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud of
No left hand?

Just because he shot a couple of lay ups with his right hand on the left side of the basket doesn't mean he can't shoot a left handed lay up.

I guarantee that KH does the Mikan drill daily in the off season in his individual sessions. This drill is usually used as a warm up for post players and is a vital part of their development.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:30 PM
2nd Lieutenant

TC88 is infamous around these partsTC88 is infamous around these partsTC88 is infamous around these partsTC88 is infamous around these partsTC88 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Swampy Meadows View Post
Flyer 2:

One of the oldest drills in the book--alternately shooting layups/hookshots from the left and then the right.

It's called the "Mikan Drill" after Big George, the first dominant college big man, who played college hoops 60 years ago at Minnesota.

Kurt will be even more effective if he can develop moves from both sides of the hoop.
I'm pretty sure he played his college hoops at DePaul in Chicago. You're probably confusing that with his days playing for the Lakers.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:14 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
If only our opposition 5's would all be 5'10". Oh well.

KH was the poster boy for the word "project". Looking today how he has progressed and filled out is impressive.

If he lays one up from close in and misses I think I'm going to scream. He should have some dunk moves this close to the rim.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:48 PM
Commander in Chief

Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think KW has the hops to consistantly dunk on other bigs. He doesn't get up quick enough. I think he is most effective when he uses his shoulders to keep his defender too far away from his shooting hand to block or alter the shot. He does that with the right hand all the time and scores on quality bigs that way. If he could hit it (baby hook) with his left, he would be really hard to stop. He has great shooting touch from 8 feet or less, even when he has a guy trying to get physical with him. You can really see how much weight he dropped. I think his issue with the extra weight was shin splints. This year, with increased emphasis on running, he probably needed to drop anyhow.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:58 PM
General

Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
I don't know, I hate to call him a project. KH was never and never will be projected as a first round draft pick, but from day 1 he's been both a contributor and hard worker. I know that's a lot like saying "she has a good personality" but at the 5 spot "hard worker" really is enough to get you far. How much do you really hope for from our center position as a freshman / sophomore? More than KH has delivered??

He's just about everything UD can hope for in a center. Who are the best centers out of the A-10 in the last 15 years?

->Last year the highest ranked center was on the A-10's all conference 3rd team!
->The year before Rashaun Freeman was on the first team, but no other center was on the 2nd team, 3rd team, or even received honorable mention!!
->Do we have to go back to Marcus Camby, who was really a PF?

I'm sure there have been some good ones over the years, but really, it's a guard's league. Box out, play defense, make most of your layups and FT's, and you've got a shot at being all-conference.

Last edited by Gazoo; 10-22-2008 at 05:06 PM..
Old 10-22-2008, 05:09 PM

ClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these partsClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these partsClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these parts
After the video ends ... you see little video boxes underneath ...

Click on Luke Hendricks reverse dunk, hahaha.

Luke can fly ............ Flyght club member no. 4.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:42 PM
Major

UDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ClearTheRunwayForWLJ View Post
After the video ends ... you see little video boxes underneath ...

Click on Luke Hendricks reverse dunk, hahaha.

Luke can fly ............ Flyght club member no. 4.

Yea....NO. The only member I see getting into club 40 is Devin Searcy.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:49 PM
Commander in Chief

Chris Johnson looks like a candidate to me.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:49 PM

Thanked 4,600 Times in 2,847 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Average!

Teams with starting centers that are "contributers" and "hard workers" finish with 8-8 records in the A-10.

To achieve the program goals that have become so elusive the Flyers need a big man that dominates the paint at both ends of the floor. Anyone that has ever seen ND's Luke Harangody play knows exactly what I mean.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:17 PM
Commander in Chief

I would say average was a good description of Kurt last year, but that was a big step up from the Cripe days IMO, and he was just a sophomore. I think he is about to break into the realm of above average and maybe "good" big man as an upperclassman. I don't see him ever dominating, but we can sustain a very good team over the years by having upperclassmen continuously ready for the postion like Searcy and Benson and then Kavanaugh will be. If we land Payne, we might be looking at something special at that position eventually.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:22 PM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
I don't know, I hate to call him a project. KH was never and never will be projected as a first round draft pick, but from day 1 he's been both a contributor and hard worker. I know that's a lot like saying "she has a good personality" but at the 5 spot "hard worker" really is enough to get you far. How much do you really hope for from our center position as a freshman / sophomore? More than KH has delivered??

He's just about everything UD can hope for in a center. Who are the best centers out of the A-10 in the last 15 years?

->Last year the highest ranked center was on the A-10's all conference 3rd team!
->The year before Rashaun Freeman was on the first team, but no other center was on the 2nd team, 3rd team, or even received honorable mention!!
->Do we have to go back to Marcus Camby, who was really a PF?

I'm sure there have been some good ones over the years, but really, it's a guard's league. Box out, play defense, make most of your layups and FT's, and you've got a shot at being all-conference.

That was probably a little too much of a dose of reality about KH. But how does one define "project"? We recruit projects on a regular basis. I guess when we are forced to play 5's as Freshmen, which has been often lately--Ashman, Finn, Alvarez, Adedeji, Huelsman-- it seems like they never get to "season" before facing the "fires". We have not had the luxury of easing these guys into battle so to me they all have that project look the first couple of years. Thankfully we are now into Kurt's Junior year and it looks good for him.

The question of "how much do you really hope for from a center position as a Freshman/ Soph ?" is one to reflect on. I wish we would get to the place where we don't need to watch every one of them mature for two years. And maybe this is the year with Searcy and Benson in line. Perhaps they will be prepared and matured to take on the starting center role rather than 20 to 25 minutes of OJT for two years.

My wish would be that when Huelsman graduates, either Benson or Searcy steps in and plays like KH will as a Junior. If they don't, folks will be clamoring for Kavanaugh and here we go again.

I agree, having been cast into the starting center role for his first two years, KH has served us as well as could be expected. I'm just glad we are filling the pipeline with 5's that get to ease into the job.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:17 PM

ClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these partsClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these partsClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these parts
UD Fan ... its called sarcasm.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:59 PM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,927 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
TC88:

As Ed McMahon used to say on The Tonight Show "You are correct sir."

Oldtimers moment.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:09 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Fudd View Post
I don't think KW has the hops to consistantly dunk on other bigs.
KW! I'd take another year of him in a flyer uni.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:27 PM
Commander in Chief

Haha, I guess I am having KW flashbacks. I meant KH.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:34 AM
Major

number21 has a brilliant futurenumber21 has a brilliant futurenumber21 has a brilliant futurenumber21 has a brilliant futurenumber21 has a brilliant futurenumber21 has a brilliant futurenumber21 has a brilliant futurenumber21 has a brilliant futurenumber21 has a brilliant futurenumber21 has a brilliant futurenumber21 has a brilliant future
Kurt was turrible (Sir Charles) most of the year. He had a couple games that I thought would be break out games and than layed an egg the next couple of games. When he gets it in the post he is so delibirate with his dribbling that the double can come. Kurt need to recognize where the double is coming from and deliver a pass to the open man. I think he is going to be needed at some point and I hope the big guy can become at least an option on offense. I have been harsh on this dude in the past but he is a Flyer and I hope he can develope and contribute this year.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:16 AM
General

Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UACFlyer View Post
Teams with starting centers that are "contributers" and "hard workers" finish with 8-8 records in the A-10.

To achieve the program goals that have become so elusive the Flyers need a big man that dominates the paint at both ends of the floor. Anyone that has ever seen ND's Luke Harangody play knows exactly what I mean.

There were 3 teams from the A-10 that made the NCAA tournament last year. IIRC, their centers were:

_avier: Jason Love, 6'9", 6 PPG, 5.5 RPG, 0.5 assists
St. Joe: Ahmed Nivins, 6'9" F plays center for them, averages 14 PPG
Temple: Sergio Olmos, 7'0", 5.8 PPG, 3.6 RPG, 0.9 assists

KH: 6'10", 5.9 PPG, 4.0 RPG, 0.8 assists

There seems to be more than 1 path to success.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:49 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
I really believe that BG messed up Kurt with the added weight.KH just does not carry it well and it has affected his skill and mobility.I believe the young man has shed 20-25 pounds and I believe he can and will be a huge asset to this team this year.I am looking at about 8 and 5 a game from him which would be great.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:00 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,414 Times in 671 Posts
flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
For those at the game (since the game wasn't televised most of the first half), one of my favorite plays last season was when Kurt managed a dunk against Pitt. Totally unexpected, and it just seemed to be a sign of things to come.