Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 12-10-2018, 11:08 PM
Major

Donniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant future
So, What are the expectations

I'm a NEXT year guy. However, I think this team has played very well so far.
So what do you think about their A-10 chances? I have gone from 6th to 3rd.
Comments?
Best to all and hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Donniex3Era For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-14-2018), Justin (12-12-2018)
Advertisement
Old 12-11-2018, 01:02 AM
General

Thanked 2,909 Times in 1,405 Posts
frisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, 3rd would not be a bad finish.

We go to the NIT, and beat X in the first round by 69, en route to winning the championship against Marquette.

The NIT will be stacked with big east teams this year, but no matter. We will bring home the trophy!
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to frisco flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (12-13-2018), Flyer 86 (12-14-2018), jack72 (12-11-2018), Justin (12-12-2018), NYCFLYER (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 05:13 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
I believe that is fairly reasonable given what we have seen so far. But...6th is reasonable as well if we have any further roster limitations.

In any event, my expectations are that they do better than last year record wise, and compete at a much higher level.
Old 12-11-2018, 09:03 AM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I think we get an A10 top 4 seed IF no one else goes down with injury. But that really is a big IF. With the extended minutes taking the longer term toll, we could be seeing walkons on the court if that should happen. In which case we are toast.
Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-14-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 10:18 AM
Colonel

Buckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud of
I had to explain to a non-Dayton fan that we are 2 wins and 4 losses in our last 6 games. I mentioned that one of those wins was against a very bad team. The other person was not impressed.

So, I tried to nimbly recover by saying that we lost to some really good teams.

That excuse resulted in a smirk. The response was, but aren’t you suppose to play really good teams?

I had to concede that this record does not look so good from the outside looking inward.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-11-2018, 10:46 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,316 Times in 1,328 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I have already said I think the Flyers and VCU, although picked lower in preseason standings, will be right there battling in the top four again as they have most of the last five years. I also thought URI would be there again too but after seeing them live I have my doubts on them. I see the top four in the league being very close and coming down to the final weekend as to who will win the regular season title and I think the Flyers will be right there with a chance.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (12-11-2018), Flyer 86 (12-14-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 12:09 PM

Thanked 6,618 Times in 3,024 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Buckleyma View Post
I had to explain to a non-Dayton fan that we are 2 wins and 4 losses in our last 6 games. I mentioned that one of those wins was against a very bad team. The other person was not impressed.

So, I tried to nimbly recover by saying that we lost to some really good teams.

That excuse resulted in a smirk. The response was, but aren’t you suppose to play really good teams?

I had to concede that this record does not look so good from the outside looking inward.
Posted via Mobile Device

I guess you didn't mention that we lost to a Top 5 team, a Top 10 team on the road, a Top 25 team, and a Top 50 team, and kept all of the games close, and beat a Top 50 team.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:24 PM
General

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
From the beginning I've been in the NIT camp for this year, with an outside chance at NCAA at-large if we get a few lucky bounces.

We didn't get the lucky bounces.
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
ruechalgrin (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 01:35 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,558 Times in 941 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
I guess you didn't mention that we lost to a Top 5 team, a Top 10 team on the road, a Top 25 team, and a Top 50 team, and kept all of the games close, and beat a Top 50 team.
We’ll lead the country in moral victories. Mane we can hang a banner for that!

Anything less than a 20 win season and some post season success is unacceptable.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-11-2018, 02:59 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
Top 4 A10 finish.
Mad Props to priceg75 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-12-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 03:53 PM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Compete in every game in A10 play. Take the intensity and competitiveness the team showed in Atlantis and since into league play.

The dream would be to go undefeated at home.

It seems like every Dayton team and under every coach that I can remember has some inexplicably bad road losses and road games where they just didn't show up.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:06 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,229 Posts
NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
and we only have 4 players who played D1 basketball last season
Mad Props to NCkevi For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (12-13-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 11:30 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NCkevi View Post
and we only have 4 players who played D1 basketball last season
And only 5 who had EVER played D-I ball, 3 of whom totaled less than 60 minutes of game action prior to last season. Yes, we’re still young, at least for 1 more year.

As far as my expectations are concerned, I still think 20-11 overall (pre-Brooklyn) and a top 4 finish in the conference are realistic objectives, as long as we have no major injuries (knock wood).
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by T-Bone 84; 12-11-2018 at 11:38 PM..
Old 12-12-2018, 09:16 AM
Captain

Justin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant future
I still think we can go undefeated. 24-0.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Justin For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-14-2018), UDGutter2 (12-12-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 09:18 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I still think we can go undefeated. 24-0.
My expectation is that won't happen.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:34 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
I'm Stcking With My Prediction

18-13 overall and 9-9 in the A-10. Dayton fans have traditionally over rated the Flyers and disrespected the A-10 programs. While this year's team has played well so far they are learning to win close games against good competition. They upset Butler and lost the remainder. SLU, Davidson, VCU, St. Joes and Rhodey can give the Flyers all they can handle at home or on the road. They will be close games. UD must learn how to win close games. They will have a chance this weekend against Tulsa to show the Flyer Faithful the progress they are making. This team has a short roster and a long schedule ahead of them.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Alberto Strasse For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (12-13-2018), Figgie123 (12-12-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 09:55 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,329 Times in 1,078 Posts
longtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond repute
This team is still trying to find its rhythm and it hurt with Jerry going down as he was starting to really play well. Also hurt that even by necessity, Frankie had to step in after sitting 6 games so he’s behind the curve. If they can finish well (8-5 or better) - then they carry confidence and momentum into league play and even a top 1-2 finish is possible. But if injuries pile up- it will be a long year. Still believe as of right now that a NCAA bid is possible. Regardless, this team still finishes with over 19 wins.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-12-2018, 10:51 AM

Thanked 1,302 Times in 674 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alberto Strasse View Post
18-13 overall and 9-9 in the A-10. Dayton fans have traditionally over rated the Flyers and disrespected the A-10 programs. While this year's team has played well so far they are learning to win close games against good competition. They upset Butler and lost the remainder. SLU, Davidson, VCU, St. Joes and Rhodey can give the Flyers all they can handle at home or on the road. They will be close games. UD must learn how to win close games. They will have a chance this weekend against Tulsa to show the Flyer Faithful the progress they are making. This team has a short roster and a long schedule ahead of them.
If we go 9-9 in the A10, then we will have significantly underperformed compared to how we played Top25 teams this year.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TXFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (12-12-2018), Justin (12-12-2018), UDGutter2 (12-12-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 12:54 PM
Colonel

udscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by longtimefan67 View Post
This team is still trying to find its rhythm and it hurt with Jerry going down as he was starting to really play well. Also hurt that even by necessity, Frankie had to step in after sitting 6 games so he’s behind the curve. If they can finish well (8-5 or better) - then they carry confidence and momentum into league play and even a top 1-2 finish is possible. But if injuries pile up- it will be a long year. Still believe as of right now that a NCAA bid is possible. Regardless, this team still finishes with over 19 wins.
Posted via Mobile Device
NCAA bid ? seriously we have lost to every better team we have played except Butler and their just good not really good, Our offense and defense is both ranked 100+, our RPI is like 60-80 (I kno its not the rpi no more) and were 5-4 and have zero top 30 wins, and you say an NCAA bid is still possible
Old 12-12-2018, 01:54 PM

Thanked 1,302 Times in 674 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by udscott View Post
NCAA bid ? seriously we have lost to every better team we have played except Butler and their just good not really good, Our offense and defense is both ranked 100+, our RPI is like 60-80 (I kno its not the rpi no more) and were 5-4 and have zero top 30 wins, and you say an NCAA bid is still possible
All you have to do is win the A10 tournament, so yeah, an NCAA bid is still possible. I'm beginning to question your competence.
Mad Props to TXFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDGutter2 (12-12-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 01:58 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
You can't be this big of a schmuck.. I take that back. You ever heard of either winning the A10 or the A10 tourney, son?
Old 12-12-2018, 02:00 PM

Thanked 10,133 Times in 5,867 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
We have lost to 4 top 30 teams, and beaten everyone else. Far too early to draw a definitive conclusion on our NCAA bid chances. The reality in the A10 is we have to finish third or higher, or win the tourney. This team can do it, but time will tell.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:01 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,283 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
I would think if we ended up at 25-6 or so we would be in the mix for a bid ( not at all sure that is possible though). As stated, win the tournament, and no doubt exists
Old 12-12-2018, 03:14 PM
General

OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I think we're still alive for the NCAAs. Besides the obvious of taking caring business with the games left on the schedule I think how viable a bid is comes down to how some teams perform the rest of the way.

The Big East looks pretty wide open and Butler is adding a Duke transfer Jordan Tucker at semester break. If they finish in the top 3 of their league that's gonna end up being a pretty nice win.

St. Louis is sitting at 7-2 with wins over Seton Hall, Butler and Oregon State. They've got nationally ranked Houston and Florida State left on their OOC. Depending on what they do in those games the Billikens could be a rare high quality win in league play.

Davidson is 8-1 against a soft schedule and only has one tough game left (North Carolina) before A10 play. Gonna be real tough to beat the Tar Heels in Chapel Hill but if they could find a way to pull that out they suddenly start to become a high quality win.

VCU beat Temple on a neutral court and won at Texas. Not sure how much mileage they'll get from those wins. They've got Wichita State and Charleston left in their OOC

If Dayton, VCU, St. Louis and Davidson can create some real separation in league play from the rest of the conference the possibility exists for getting 5 relatively high quality wins.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:21 PM

San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I would think that the A10 road games will be very tough. They have had time to scout us in depth. They have the passion of the home court. We might be single digit favorites in many of those road games, or not favored at all. It will be a great challenge to win half of the A10 road games.

IMO we are staring at double digit losses for the season. I certainly hope I'm wrong.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:31 PM
General

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
I would think that the A10 road games will be very tough. They have had time to scout us in depth. They have the passion of the home court. We might be single digit favorites in many of those road games, or not favored at all. It will be a great challenge to win half of the A10 road games.

IMO we are staring at double digit losses for the season. I certainly hope I'm wrong.
I don't care the coach or the team for the Flyers it always seems like winning on the road in A10 play is never easy.

One thing that might things different for this team is how tough and physical they are. That and the defense hopefully travel
Old 12-12-2018, 08:26 PM
Lieutenant General

maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
Didn’t travel to Auburn.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-12-2018, 08:33 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by maddog07 View Post
Didn’t travel to Auburn.
Posted via Mobile Device
Point taken, but with the way Auburn’s guards were hitting from downtown, not many defenses would have stopped them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-12-2018, 08:43 PM
General

Don't lose to Fordham
Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (12-13-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 09:02 PM
1st Lieutenant

Lowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by maddog07 View Post
Didn’t travel to Auburn.
Posted via Mobile Device
Last time I checked, Auburn wasn't in the A-10.

10-point loss at Auburn after that start has me more optimistic than pessimistic about what we'll do in A-10 play.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:15 PM
Colonel

udscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by steve View Post
You can't be this big of a schmuck.. I take that back. You ever heard of either winning the A10 or the A10 tourney, son?
Come on Man U can’t seriously sit there and type and truly believe what your typing, if you truly believe that we can seriously win the a-10
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-12-2018, 09:22 PM
General

Come on Man U can’t seriously sit there and type and truly believe what your typing, if you truly believe that we can seriously win the a-10
Posted via Mobile Device
2004 St. Joe's isn't suiting up
Old 12-12-2018, 10:49 PM
Major

Donniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
I think we're still alive for the NCAAs. Besides the obvious of taking caring business with the games left on the schedule I think how viable a bid is comes down to how some teams perform the rest of the way.

The Big East looks pretty wide open and Butler is adding a Duke transfer Jordan Tucker at semester break. If they finish in the top 3 of their league that's gonna end up being a pretty nice win.

St. Louis is sitting at 7-2 with wins over Seton Hall, Butler and Oregon State. They've got nationally ranked Houston and Florida State left on their OOC. Depending on what they do in those games the Billikens could be a rare high quality win in league play.

Davidson is 8-1 against a soft schedule and only has one tough game left (North Carolina) before A10 play. Gonna be real tough to beat the Tar Heels in Chapel Hill but if they could find a way to pull that out they suddenly start to become a high quality win.

VCU beat Temple on a neutral court and won at Texas. Not sure how much mileage they'll get from those wins. They've got Wichita State and Charleston left in their OOC

If Dayton, VCU, St. Louis and Davidson can create some real separation in league play from the rest of the conference the possibility exists for getting 5 relatively high quality wins.
NCAA not going to happen unless we get the auto bid IMHO
Old 12-12-2018, 10:52 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Lowd&ProUD View Post
Last time I checked, Auburn wasn't in the A-10.

10-point loss at Auburn after that start has me more optimistic than pessimistic about what we'll do in A-10 play.
Based on that our “respectable” losses to UVA, OK and Miss St, should make one really buoyant. The 10 point loss was far worse, we were never really in that game. I on the other hand am less excited about wins against the likes of LaSalle, Fordham, and a host of other bottom feeders. We need to be able to swim with bigger fish.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-12-2018, 11:21 PM
General

Thanked 1,267 Times in 785 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
Im.looking for Top 3 to 4
Mad Props to Flyer 86 For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 11:06 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Posted via Mobile Device
Don't give me this "come on man s___t". Simply pointing out the conceivable ways this can happen regardless of my feelings whether they can or can't. You, son, need to learn to rationalize and think before you hit the submit button, thus, the reason you really are a schmuck.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:38 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,086 Times in 640 Posts
steverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond repute
if a team wins the Atlantic 10 tournament, do they get an automatic bid?

Is that correct?

there is NO atlantic 10 team better than some of these teams we have been playing..

they may have as much chance as this site does in ever seeing a positive message from you, but yes it is possible..
Mad Props to steverino015 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 11:40 AM

Thanked 6,125 Times in 4,170 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
NIT this year seems like a reasonable expectation if we are shooting for the NCAAT next year. Building up year by year. I am not buying UD being a big rebuilding job when AG took over. Not when Archie got us into the NCAAT with 7? scholarship players and walk-ons. And not after 4 straight NCAAT appearances. I am sure that the VCU fans are expecting at least the NIT this year in hc Rhoades 2nd year.

Last edited by ud2; 12-13-2018 at 11:45 AM..
Old 12-13-2018, 11:44 AM
Lieutenant General

UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
NIT this year seems like a reasonable expectation if we are shooting for the NCAAT next year. Building up year by year. I am not buying UD being a big rebuilding job when AG took over. Not when Archie got us into the NCAAT with 7? scholarship players and walk-ons.
You have got to be kidding.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:48 AM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UD62 View Post
You have got to be kidding.
Which part do you object to? Be specific please.
Old 12-13-2018, 11:55 AM

81% of the poll takers in the below poll are expecting the NIT or NCAAT this year. I think my expectations are right in line with what the large majority of poll takers on here are expecting.

http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32479
Old 12-13-2018, 12:07 PM
Colonel

Originally Posted by steverino015 View Post
if a team wins the Atlantic 10 tournament, do they get an automatic bid?

Is that correct?

there is NO atlantic 10 team better than some of these teams we have been playing..

they may have as much chance as this site does in ever seeing a positive message from you, but yes it is possible..
sure there is positive quotes, but im a realist, im not like 75% of the pride members on here who see everything in red and white glasses, I just get annoyed when people make comments that are so far fetched, just because we played a tough schedule and lost does not mean were gonna go 16-2 and win the a-10, 20-11 would be a very successful year this year, but for someone to sit there and type were gon win the a-10 this year is just being unrealistic
Old 12-13-2018, 12:10 PM
Colonel

Originally Posted by steve View Post
Don't give me this "come on man s___t". Simply pointing out the conceivable ways this can happen regardless of my feelings whether they can or can't. You, son, need to learn to rationalize and think before you hit the submit button, thus, the reason you really are a schmuck.
the discussion was not about ways it could happen, the discussion was about him saying "were gonna win the a-10 this year"
Old 12-13-2018, 12:23 PM

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
I hate to agree with UDScott, because his comments tend to be on the glass is empty side of the debate. UDScott would have UD finishing near last in the league or lower.

Winning the A10 is not a given. Top 4 is not given. Today's sophisticated scouting, the home court advantage, UD's short bench and imbalanced scheduled all can work against them.

I will say this. UD has shown this year that they can play with ANY team in the A10 on ANY given night. Unfortunately, most teams in A10 do not play to their potential on any given night, especially on the road. That usually includes UD.
Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
udscott (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 12:39 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
Which part do you object to? Be specific please.
"I am not buying UD being a big rebuild job when AG took over". AM picked a good time to become a Hoosier. He left almost nothing ( except problem players, an overmatched PG and a "Future NBA player" who did almost nothing for the Flyers, (but was said to big on potential) Fortunate that the house was cleaned as soon as it was.
Old 12-13-2018, 12:53 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,414 Times in 671 Posts
flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UD62 View Post
"I am not buying UD being a big rebuild job when AG took over". AM picked a good time to become a Hoosier. He left almost nothing ( except problem players, an overmatched PG and a "Future NBA player" who did almost nothing for the Flyers, (but was said to big on potential) Fortunate that the house was cleaned as soon as it was.
This is all assuming Archie's freshman class didn't show up to campus. McKinley Wright would have helped a lot at PG, and there would've likely been fewer issues getting buy in from players that Archie had recruited and coached already. I don't fault him with leaving "almost nothing." Crap happens during coaching changes.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:20 PM
Colonel

Flyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud of
I’m going to put my expectations into a couple of chunks. We will know what kind of team this is by how we do in our next seven games. Tulsa on a neutral floor, home against Western Michigan, Presbyterian, Georgia Southern, Richmond, at George Washington which is one of those games we have been known to epically drop, and then home against Massachusetts who we lost to last year. If we want to do anything at all in the spring of 2019, winning all of these games is essential. I expect us to split the next two road games at VCU and Bonaventure, and then win the next four George Mason, at Fordham, Saint Joe’s , and Duquesne. If we can have an eight and one conference record heading into the game at St. Louis, I think anything will be possible. We drop games at George Washington, at VCU, and at Saint Bonaventure, this could be a long year, as that will mean we haven’t learned how to win away games against crappy competition . At this point, when all is said and done, I’m thinking we wind up about 22 and nine 13 and 5 in conference, hopefully putting us in the 3rd to 4th range heading to Brooklyn.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to Flyerferd For This Totally Excellent Post:
OSU Flyer (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 01:30 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyerferd View Post
I’m going to put my expectations into a couple of chunks. We will know what kind of team this is by how we do in our next seven games. Tulsa on a neutral floor, home against Western Michigan, Presbyterian, Georgia Southern, Richmond, at George Washington which is one of those games we have been known to epically drop, and then home against Massachusetts who we lost to last year. If we want to do anything at all in the spring of 2019, winning all of these games is essential. I expect us to split the next two road games at VCU and Bonaventure, and then win the next four George Mason, at Fordham, Saint Joe’s , and Duquesne. If we can have an eight and one conference record heading into the game at St. Louis, I think anything will be possible. We drop games at George Washington, at VCU, and at Saint Bonaventure, this could be a long year, as that will mean we haven’t learned how to win away games against crappy competition . At this point, when all is said and done, I’m thinking we wind up about 22 and nine 13 and 5 in conference, hopefully putting us in the 3rd to 4th range heading to Brooklyn.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'd take the above and book a March flight to Brooklyn.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:42 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by flyerfanatic86 View Post
This is all assuming Archie's freshman class didn't show up to campus. McKinley Wright would have helped a lot at PG, and there would've likely been fewer issues getting buy in from players that Archie had recruited and coached already. I don't fault him with leaving "almost nothing." Crap happens during coaching changes.
Have to deal with what is, not what could have been. MW didn't come, we still ended up with a pretty good replacement. AG had to deal with reality, underpreforming guard, two players that decided they didn't want to participate, and an underperforming big man. ud2 stated he doesn't believe AG had a major rebuild, I'm of a different opinion.
Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
JimBo (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 02:47 PM
Colonel

Originally Posted by SeasonTicketFan View Post
I hate to agree with UDScott, because his comments tend to be on the glass is empty side of the debate. UDScott would have UD finishing near last in the league or lower.

Winning the A10 is not a given. Top 4 is not given. Today's sophisticated scouting, the home court advantage, UD's short bench and imbalanced scheduled all can work against them.

I will say this. UD has shown this year that they can play with ANY team in the A10 on ANY given night. Unfortunately, most teams in A10 do not play to their potential on any given night, especially on the road. That usually includes UD.
I think were going 20-11 this year, those are my expectations, next year we need to contend for an ncaa spot
Mad Props to udscott For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 04:15 PM
Brigadier General

steverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond repute
sure there is positive quotes, but im a realist, im not like 75% of the pride members on here who see everything in red and white glasses, I just get annoyed when people make comments that are so far fetched, just because we played a tough schedule and lost does not mean were gonna go 16-2 and win the a-10, 20-11 would be a very successful year this year, but for someone to sit there and type were gon win the a-10 this year is just being unrealistic
oh, believe you me, it is a tough road for sure... but, I dont call these moral victories because they arent.. but if we finish in the top r4 for the season, lets say.. i dont think it unreasonable that we could win out..
now, injuries can change that... but for me, i need to see how combative we are in conference play.. I dont dismiss the idea of the Flyers winning the tournament this year.. there, I typed it again... now I cant see so one couold say I hit the wrong keys!! lol, just kidding, I had my Windows magnifyer set at 5x normal, so I hit the correct keys...
Im pretty sure!..)
in fact, barring injuries I'll predict it rightt now, Flyers winning the atlantic ten tourbnament in a huge surprise... bam!lll) how cool would that be?
Old 12-13-2018, 04:21 PM
Brigadier General

having just predicted the Flyers winning the conference tournament, I dont want anybooty coming back and reminding me I have earned zero, no points in the predict the score contest.. apples and oranges, peeps....)
Old 12-13-2018, 04:33 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

mikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud of
Expect 21 wins, NIT
Hope A10 auto bid
Mad Props to mikeymo85 For This Totally Excellent Post:
steverino015 (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 05:37 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,325 Times in 444 Posts
Runnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond repute
I expect...

Crutcher to show Auburn game was a fluke, and end up with best assist-ratio in the A10 this year.

Cunningham to dominate league play, finish 1st team A10.

Toppin to gain minutes as season goes on, and become freshman of year in A10.

Davis to pick up his shooting percentage, by attacking the basket (as he was earlier in the year).

Mikesell to be the glue, and provide whatever is needed for the team on game-by-game basis.

Trey to be Trey... and provide leadership and attitude night in and night out (every practice, every game).

Dayton to finish in top 3 of the A10.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Runnin' Rebel For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-14-2018), steverino015 (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 07:28 PM
Colonel

tirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think it's unreasonable to entertain the idea that the Flyers could win the A-10 outright. I know it's early, and we will know a lot more after the Tulsa game, but as of today, Sagarin has the A-10 ranked thusly:

67 Dayton
73 Davidson
76 VCU
87 St Louis
91 St Joseph's
97 Rhode Island
133 Massachusetts
158 Duquesne
162 St Bonaventure
173 George Mason
191 Richmond
228 Fordham
268 LaSalle
270 George Washington
9 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to tirebiter For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (12-13-2018), Flyer 86 (12-14-2018), frisco flyer (12-14-2018), jack72 (12-14-2018), OSU Flyer (12-14-2018), rollo (12-14-2018), Runnin' Rebel (12-14-2018), steverino015 (12-13-2018), UDGutter2 (12-14-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 10:14 AM

Think "entertaining the idea" is about the right level of our chances to win the A10. Over the years we have been ranked in polls, we have not met that challenge of a high ranking and it's attendant expectations well. We have been more successful sneaking up on good opponents.

That said it is nice to have any poll recognize our upside. We have to grow up some time.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:11 PM
General

I think there difference between this year and the past is this is the worst the conference has been since Dayton joined.

St. Louis, Davidson and VCU don't look so far to be at the level of a Rhode Island last year or some of the other prior league contenders
Old 12-14-2018, 02:03 PM

Nor does URI appear to be like the Rhody of last season. One game above .500 and playing West Virginia next.

But it is what it is and our future is presented with a good opportunity.