Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 12-01-2018, 08:00 AM
1st Lieutenant

FlyerE is on a distinguished road
DJ vs Band

Anyone else feel like the momentum is lost when the DJ comes on after a big play? Miss St called a timeout in the first half right after a Mikesell dunk. Loudest the arena was all night to that point. DJ comes on playing some 80’s song and the atmosphere in the arena immediately dies. I think back to all other big games at the arena and in the past that time out would have led right into Willie and the band rocking the fight song and adding to the atmosphere. Atmosphere is what makes UD Arena a difficult place to play. The DJ does not maintain the momentum.
Posted via Mobile Device
8 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FlyerE For This Totally Excellent Post:
Alberto Strasse (03-09-2019), Beatty Town Coach (12-02-2018), flyerfanatic86 (12-03-2018), jack72 (12-01-2018), Lifelong Flyer Fan (12-01-2018), NYCFLYER (12-03-2018), UDGutter2 (12-02-2018), wes (12-02-2018)
Advertisement
Old 12-01-2018, 08:59 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Preach! I’ve been saying that since the Purnell era. Admittedly, I’m a bit biased, as I’m a member of the Band Alumni. But I’ve also been coming to UD basketball games since the days of George Jackson and Ken May, when I was the age of the kids on the video boards during the timeouts. I’ve seen some great wins over the years (ND 1974; DePaul 1984; X 1990), and in nearly every case, momentum played a role in the win. And nothing kills our team’s momentum like taking a crowd of over 13,000 out of the game, and shutting them (us) up.

I don’t begrudge the DJ himself. He’s a decent guy, who’s just doing what he’s paid to do. And I realize the University needs to give air time to sponsors who’ve paid for that air time. But when our guys go on a 8-0 run to go from 7 points down to a 1 point lead, and the opponent calls a timeout to regroup (in effect, surrendering), what makes more sense: having your very-capable pep band play the school fight song? Or having a DJ (ANY DJ) play “Cotton-Eyed Joe” (or “Whip/Nae-Nae”, or something from “Wham”, or...)?

I think of it this way: when Lincoln wanted to defeat the Confederacy during the Civil War, he eventually settled on Grant as his top General because Grant didn’t back down from anyone, and he pursued his enemy until he had beaten him into submission. He didn’t just win a battle and stop. He kept going until he won the whole God-forsaken War. When “they who are smarter than us” at The Arena don’t allow Willie and the Pep Band to do what they’re there to do, and sustain the momentum into (and through) the timeout, “they who are smarter than us” are winning a battle and stopping. That’s not how you win the war.
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (12-01-2018), wes (12-02-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 11:59 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,488 Times in 763 Posts
N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
Band. All game. Every game. Period.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to N2663R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Radar (12-04-2018), TheDuke2003 (12-07-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 12:46 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 17,097 Times in 5,101 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
This may be sacrilegious to say, but I dont think the UD fight song is all that adrenaline inspiring. It reminds me more of a song in a parade. I dont mind hearing it, but you're never going to do your best bench press to the riff and find it a buzzkill at times. Hail to the Victors, Fight On, or the Victory March its not. The Arena needs variety. Whether the right songs are being played is another discussion. Im okay with retiring Cotton Eye Joe and anything from the Jock Jams boxed set. But Im not sure playing the UD fight song at every TO when the Flyers are on a roll is a sound decision either.

Commence throwing the rotten fruit at me.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
fuz_forward (12-03-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 02:11 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,395 Times in 712 Posts
Beatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond repute
I have to agree more band and less Disc rider.

Hey Chris, how about Go Dayton Flyers cheer?

Plus I have to disagree with your assessment of the fight song impact. It seems to me the fight song does have substantial impact on the fan base.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:26 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Class of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
This may be sacrilegious to say, but I dont think the UD fight song is all that adrenaline inspiring. It reminds me more of a song in a parade. I dont mind hearing it, but you're never going to do your best bench press to the riff and find it a buzzkill at times. Hail to the Victors, Fight On, or the Victory March its not. The Arena needs variety. Whether the right songs are being played is another discussion. Im okay with retiring Cotton Eye Joe and anything from the Jock Jams boxed set. But Im not sure playing the UD fight song at every TO when the Flyers are on a roll is a sound decision either.

Commence throwing the rotten fruit at me.
Allow me to be the first to hurl a rotten tomato at the back of your noggin! Are you serious? 45 years my days at UD I still get pumped when I hear it, especially after a UD run against a quality opponent. Buzzkill ????....I laugh in you general direction.
Mad Props to Class of 73 Alum For This Totally Excellent Post:
TerryK_67 (12-02-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 07:05 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,206 Times in 542 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
I dont think its band over DJ or vice versa, but song choice seemed to be haphazard Friday night.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:17 AM
1st Lieutenant

FlyerE is on a distinguished road
The loudest I’ve ever heard the Arena was when B-Rob and gang knocked off Pitt. By FAR the loudest I’ve ever heard the Arena because the fans were engaged in what was happening. While I do vividly recall the Dayton Flyers chants that night, I do see what Gutter is saying. I’m partial to the band, but if DJ Jay were more strategic in song choice this may be a moot point. FWIW I do think the lack of high level fan interaction on Friday really contributed to the outcome.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to FlyerE For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (12-02-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 10:56 AM

Thanked 10,132 Times in 5,867 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
After 51 years of UD basketball, that Fight Song still sends chills up my spine and gets me excited. However, it is not about whether it gets Chris or me excited, it is all about what gets the players excited. Hard to believe these players, who have only heard this song for a few years, would not be inspired by it.
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
skip69 (03-15-2019)
Old 12-02-2018, 12:36 PM
General of the Air Force

T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FlyerE View Post
The loudest I’ve ever heard the Arena was when B-Rob and gang knocked off Pitt. By FAR the loudest I’ve ever heard the Arena because the fans were engaged in what was happening. While I do vividly recall the Dayton Flyers chants that night, I do see what Gutter is saying. I’m partial to the band, but if DJ Jay were more strategic in song choice this may be a moot point. FWIW I do think the lack of high level fan interaction on Friday really contributed to the outcome.
Posted via Mobile Device
“The fans were engaged in what was happening.” That’s the difference between a big crowd and a home court advantage. You can have 13,000 people in a venue, but if they’re quiet as churchmice, then all you have is a big crowd of people. However, if that same group of 13,000 is engaged in the event, and immersed in the environment, then you have a home court advantage. It’s up to “they who are smarter than us” to promote that engagement. When it happens (as it did against Pitt when B-Rob was here, and against Notre Dame when Smitty was draining fade-aways in 1974), we can beat d@mned near anyone. When it doesn’t (as was the case on Friday), you might as well be playing the game during Christmas shopping at the mall, because all you have is a big crowd.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
skip69 (03-15-2019)
Old 12-02-2018, 01:14 PM

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Sponsor stuff isn't on called timeouts for the most part...just media.

I have too noticed the vibe of the arena fall off during called timeouts during crucial parts of the game. Unfortunately, unless it is something to the effect of House of Pain, many of the retread songs that the sweaters enjoy do nothing to amp up the arena. I could do without hearing music that does nothing but get someone out of their seat to dab or floss.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
m21eagle45 (12-03-2018), Monster Man (12-02-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 01:26 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,608 Times in 694 Posts
Monster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post
Sponsor stuff isn't on called timeouts for the most part...just media.

I have too noticed the vibe of the arena fall off during called timeouts during crucial parts of the game. Unfortunately, unless it is something to the effect of House of Pain, many of the retread songs that the sweaters enjoy do nothing to amp up the arena. I could do without hearing music that does nothing but get someone out of their seat to dab or floss.
Cotton-eyed Joe? Painful to listen to that tired crap and it killed the arena vibe.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:21 PM
Brigadier General

N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
First - Chris, rotten veggies coming your way!

Playing the fight song or any song during the time outs probably has little impact on the players. They are catching their breath and listening to AG's instructions. The music during time outs is for the benefit of the crowd. And let's face it, it's not called the sweater center for nothing. The fight song gets the majority of the crowd pumped up and on their feet. My one issue is that the DJ music is so loud that when it is followed by a song by the band, you can hardly hear the band. The band will never be able to play as loud as the DJ music. It's something I never noticed until last year when the sound system was upgraded. As a side note, I know I've heard the LSU "Neck" song a couple of times this year - which I personally like, but given where that song can go ( see the YouTube videos) I'm surprised they play it at all.

Overall, Willie Morris and the band do an outstanding job. We should be proud of what we have and we should showcase their talent as much as possible!
Mad Props to N2663R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Radar (12-04-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 10:14 PM

shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by N2663R View Post
Overall, Willie Morris and the band do an outstanding job. We should be proud of what we have and we should showcase their talent as much as possible!
They do...which is why they need to be getting the crowd in it...or switch up to some more modern DJ tunes...I am guessing DJ Jay is pretty limited on what he can play for 1. Approval from UD and 2. Rights costs to play the songs
Old 12-03-2018, 09:20 AM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
After 51 years of UD basketball, that Fight Song still sends chills up my spine and gets me excited. However, it is not about whether it gets Chris or me excited, it is all about what gets the players excited. Hard to believe these players, who have only heard this song for a few years, would not be inspired by it.
Florida has a chant they fire up at every opportunity. It's a bit corny but it does keep the fans engaged because they all chime in and keeps the focus on the field or court. TV time outs are so long and often they can really kill momentum. Need something to stoke the mood.

SMU has a brassy tune that they play loud and often. Especially when the opponent calls time out so they can't hear themselves think it's so loud. Can really get on your nerves sometimes. Mixed bag.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:53 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
...SMU has a brassy tune that they play loud and often. Especially when the opponent calls time out so they can't hear themselves think it's so loud. Can really get on your nerves sometimes. Mixed bag.
That’s why “Neck” is such a great tune for the Pep Band to play at times like that. It’s nothing but LOWD and brassy, and the crowd participation part of it helps keep the fans (especially the Red Scare) stoked.
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (12-04-2018), shocka43 (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 11:09 PM

Neck is the best...everyone can't help but get the head bobbin to that one.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:52 AM
General of the Air Force

If you get the chance, go on YouTube and search for Southern University’s version of Neck. The orchestration is very similar to what our Pep Band does, but they have around 35 tubas pumping out the bass line, and about a dozen trumpets who can scream like Maynard Ferguson in his prime.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-04-2018, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 View Post
If you get the chance, go on YouTube and search for Southern University’s version of Neck. The orchestration is very similar to what our Pep Band does, but they have around 35 tubas pumping out the bass line, and about a dozen trumpets who can scream like Maynard Ferguson in his prime.
Posted via Mobile Device
First time I heard it I asked Willie if it was from a hyphenated SWAC school...he said yep. lol
Old 12-04-2018, 09:31 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

TX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I just YouTubed neck and I don’t get it?
Old 12-04-2018, 09:46 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,557 Times in 3,702 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Ditch the DJ and when the band needs a break, break out the old organ from Hara Arena hockey days
Old 12-04-2018, 10:23 AM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by TX Flyer View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPsAZpNuaGk

"Suck that tiger d***, b****!"
Old 12-04-2018, 10:24 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,858 Times in 719 Posts
sheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TX Flyer View Post
The LSU students put a crude twist on the lyrics instead of "hey, oh, talkin out the side of your neck." It's not something you'd want said to your daughter.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:13 PM
Colonel

Buckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud of
I love the Flyer fight song. What’s not to love about it? It distinguishes us from anyone else. If you are not with us then you are against us. Got a chip on our shoulder and going to take it back at you. I have visions of the players running into the arena with that fight song playing. Is it the best song in the world? Maybe not, but it uniquely identifies us. It is ours!
Posted via Mobile Device
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Buckleyma For This Totally Excellent Post:
MikeFlyer (03-15-2019), Radar (12-07-2018), TerryK_67 (12-06-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 09:23 AM
Major

TheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to behold
There is a place for both, just need to be more strategic. If the Flyers are on a roll and the opposing team calls a timeout to try to regroup, that's when the band needs to be playing the fight song getting everyone on their feet and keeping the arena rocking through the timeout. If it's the under 12 minute timeout on the floor after an errant pass goes out of bounds and no one has scored in the last 2 minutes, then yeah, DJ is fine there.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:39 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,597 Times in 750 Posts
CoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond repute
Give me a band any day over a DJ. It is one of the pure differences between college and pro sports. Nothing like a student pep band.
(Yes, I know some pro sports have bands and some colleges have DJs but you get my point)
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CoffeeCan For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (12-07-2018), flyerfanatic86 (12-07-2018), jack72 (12-07-2018), Radar (12-07-2018), rollo (12-07-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 10:15 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Lose the DJ, period. Willie is creative and can do more with our pep band than most schools.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:28 AM
Major

66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of
My favorite song at a game, when we are winning, is We Will Rock You. I was disappointed not to hear it on Tues.
Mad Props to 66flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (12-07-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 10:50 AM
Colonel

sheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond repute
We Will Rock You could have been played with about 11 minutes to go in the first half on Tuesday.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:34 AM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by sheg View Post
The LSU students put a crude twist on the lyrics instead of "hey, oh, talkin out the side of your neck." It's not something you'd want said to your daughter.
Heard last night that our Pep Band has been banned from playing “Neck” for reasons similar to this. Too bad. It’s a screaming tune that gets The Arena rocking (and, speaking as an Alumni Band member, it lets us play music with the same feel as what we played when we were students).
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-08-2019, 10:04 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,559 Times in 2,452 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Did our students chant something crude to it? I don't recall hearing anything out of line.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:04 AM
General of the Air Force

Yes, I heard it from a current member of the Band, who was at a meeting with me. She described the phrase as being pretty off-color, and while I probably said worse when I was a student, I didn’t do it in unison with 50+ other people at a nationally-televised sporting event. And while I have a reputation as a heckler, I try to keep it clean enough for network TV.

So yeah, a handful of bad apples have to spoil the barrel for the rest of us.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by T-Bone 84; 03-09-2019 at 10:09 AM..
Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (03-09-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 11:33 AM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 View Post
Heard last night that our Pep Band has been banned from playing “Neck” for reasons similar to this. Too bad. It’s a screaming tune that gets The Arena rocking (and, speaking as an Alumni Band member, it lets us play music with the same feel as what we played when we were students).
Posted via Mobile Device
Too bad. That's a great piece that gets the crowd going. Should be able to come up with a "clean" chant to make it work.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:21 PM

Thanked 15,876 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
How about 'Money, Money' from Billy Idol?

Ohhhh, never mind...
CT Flyer (03-09-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 12:42 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,182 Times in 579 Posts
Bill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
I'm in the class of 71' and the UD Fight Song "brings tears to me eyes!" By the way, my 5 year old granddaughter has the "go Dayton Flyers" cheer down pat!
Old 03-15-2019, 01:37 AM
Captain

skip69 is just really niceskip69 is just really niceskip69 is just really niceskip69 is just really nice
Wink

Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post
Neck is the best...everyone can't help but get the head bobbin to that one.
Back in '90 , I believe, someone took the flyer men cheerleaders under his? wing and taught them how to dance at timeouts. Combined with the song used, elevated the noise to near record levels.

This combination was electric. It was both funny, yet got everyone involved. Miss it even today, but always get charged up over our fight song.
Mad Props to skip69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
MikeFlyer (03-15-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 07:48 AM
Colonel

Back to life, back to reality
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to sheg For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-15-2019), Glen Clark (03-15-2019), MikeFlyer (03-15-2019)