Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 12-13-2015, 12:57 AM
Major

FlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to behold
Hey Archie, it DOES matter to be a top 25 team

There's not much I don't like about Archie, but his comments about not wanting to be a top 25 team, rather be the hunter..blah blah blah. Hey Archie, we the fans want to be consistently in the top 25. It matters to US. His players follow his lead, and making a statement like that is ridiculous. It almost leads them into playing poorly right when they are about to be or have just been ranked. Act like you should be there. We are at the point where we shouldn't shy away from being a ranked team. As soon as we beat Vandy, and I read that comment I just shook my head. I'm more than sure his brother doesn't say crap like that.

Stop with that talk..it's just going to bite you in the rear.
Mad Props to FlyerinChicago For This Totally Excellent Post:
Archie MillerLite (12-13-2015)
Advertisement
Old 12-13-2015, 01:23 AM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FlyerinChicago View Post
There's not much I don't like about Archie, but his comments about not wanting to be a top 25 team, rather be the hunter..blah blah blah. Hey Archie, we the fans want to be consistently in the top 25. It matters to US. His players follow his lead, and making a statement like that is ridiculous. It almost leads them into playing poorly right when they are about to be or have just been ranked. Act like you should be there. We are at the point where we shouldn't shy away from being a ranked team. As soon as we beat Vandy, and I read that comment I just shook my head. I'm more than sure his brother doesn't say crap like that.

Stop with that talk..it's just going to bite you in the rear.
I agree with it matters. But all the other reasons aside it matters because the sooner you enter it, the sooner you can climb within it and the higher you climb within it, the less likely one loss is going to knock you completely out of it.

This season the perfect storm hit for us to enter it. We had a lot of winnable games that would have kept us climbing up through the top 25 and put us in a very stable position. Last season we got stuck having to go to Davidson right after we entered. This season was much different and I have a very sour feeling of a blown opportunity.

And the bottom line why climbing as high as possible when you can is so important, because every loss afterwards doesn't send you as far down the ladder as when you don't. So to summarize, we need to get as far up the food chain as possible so we're not playing another game at UD arena after senior night like last season.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:27 AM
Major

FlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
I agree with it matters. But all the other reasons aside it matters because the sooner you enter it, the sooner you can climb within it and the higher you climb within it, the less likely one loss is going to knock you completely out of it.

This season the perfect storm hit for us to enter it. We had a lot of winnable games that would have kept us climbing up through the top 25 and put us in a very stable position. Last season we got stuck having to go to Davidson right after we entered. This season was much different and I have a very sour feeling of a blown opportunity.

And the bottom line why climbing as high as possible when you can is so important, because every loss afterwards doesn't send you as far down the ladder as when you don't. So to summarize, we need to get as far up the food chain as possible so we're not playing another game at UD arena after senior night like last season.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-13-2015, 01:30 AM
Major

Agree completely. It was Illinois State the year before. As soon as we enter,
the door shuts. I'm assuming our RPI will still be higher than 75% of the teams
in the top 25. Very frustrating.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-13-2015, 01:42 AM
General

Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FlyerinChicago View Post
Agree completely. It was Illinois State the year before. As soon as we enter,
the door shuts. I'm assuming our RPI will still be higher than 75% of the teams
in the top 25. Very frustrating.
Posted via Mobile Device
I think it's been different in the past. Those other teams that let things get away right after entering, were just not that good at that point in time as was shown in subsequent games after those immediate losses. I wasn't shocked by the loss to Illinois St. on the road. I also didn't have as high of hopes entering those seasons as I did this one. Now people can say "this team might prove to not be that good also" but my expectations were from before the season started, not after it began and we cracked into the ratings. Then to add that we're getting our stud senior back(I think), if we had just won 2 more games that we were supposed to we were on our way to those expectations. I'm irritated. But I'll get over it. It was another painful lesson for our team. And a painful kick in the butt to me lol

I think Arch's comments about not wanting to be in the top 25 were just a poor choice of words to say we shouldn't put that much stock into it this early in the season. I certainly don't think he meant to convey we're better off losing this game to avoid it. I doubt the team let those words effect them psychologically.

Last edited by Smitty10; 12-13-2015 at 01:51 AM..
Old 12-13-2015, 10:36 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 1,650 Times in 838 Posts
Canonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond repute
I'm betting Archie has a pretty good idea as per what his players respond to, and young teams typically have to learn to deal with adversity and success. Early season is best spent getting players to play the right way especially with young guys and new pieces.
Mad Props to Canonball For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (12-14-2015)
Old 12-13-2015, 10:41 AM
2nd Lieutenant

Archie MillerLite is just really niceArchie MillerLite is just really niceArchie MillerLite is just really niceArchie MillerLite is just really nice
The complex of being scared of success, even still after the great last two years is alive and well in flyer nation. You would think the mindset would change, instead it's the same old BS.

I want to be ranked every **** year! Wouldn't you rather be a 4-7 seed come March instead of life support 11 seeds? It all starts with being ranked. That's how deep runs are built every year!

That being said, this team will be ranked if the win their next four, come Monday January 4. And that should be the short term goal, period.
Old 12-13-2015, 11:22 AM

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
Of course everyone wants to be ranked. No one has a goal of not being ranked, including Miller. But in the scheme of things, that's not one of the highest priorities right now. Would you rather be ranked now, develop no one and leave an uncertain rotation, leading to a late season collapse. Just like no one plays to not be ranked, no one plays for early season rankings either. It's about March
Posted via Mobile Device
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDDoug For This Totally Excellent Post:
Canonball (12-13-2015), FLYER5 (12-14-2015), springborofan (12-13-2015), TA111 (12-13-2015)
Old 12-13-2015, 01:16 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
Archie's Right

It is about March not December.
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Alberto Strasse For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bill McPeek (12-14-2015), Bob G (12-16-2015), ClaytonFlyerFan (12-13-2015), Figgie123 (12-13-2015), FLYER5 (12-14-2015), SeasonTicketFan (12-13-2015)
Old 12-13-2015, 01:22 PM

Thanked 6,173 Times in 4,203 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Going to take another 3-4? weeks maybe of no more losses to start sniffing the rankings again.

Maybe beat Furman, Miami, Arkansas, Duquesne, and UMass and sit at 12-2 and maybe get ranked.

Last edited by ud2; 12-13-2015 at 01:31 PM..
Old 12-13-2015, 01:49 PM
General

Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,408 Posts
frisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Archie didn't say categorically that he doesn't like for us to be ranked. He said he would rather not see this team at this time be ranked. I agree with him. We are not a top 25 quality team at this time of the season, and I don't think we can be one without Pierre coming back and playing quality minutes. The team now is not as resilient and tough as the last two years, and without Pierre we are going to have more ups and downs through conference play than any of us likes.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:52 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,165 Times in 2,722 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
Ever hear of "coach-speak"?
Mad Props to cj For This Totally Excellent Post:
SeasonTicketFan (12-13-2015)
Old 12-13-2015, 02:38 PM
2nd Lieutenant

Archie MillerLite is just really niceArchie MillerLite is just really niceArchie MillerLite is just really niceArchie MillerLite is just really nice
Not just coach, attitude of Flyer Nation. Get ranked and stay ranked, stop being scared of being hunted. It will feel so good when we are used to Dayton being ranked over 50% of a season every season. Then, finally we can get multiple games per year against real opponents into our arena/neutral because them losing won't hurt their perception come March.

Break the status quo, become the hunted and thrive. No more underdog crap, we need to take the next step while Archie is here - just like X did with Miller handing it off to Mack. This begins now, it cannot wait any longer. This program should want to be ranked come January 4, throughout the winter into March and open next season in the pre-season poll. Time to put on our big boy pants and stop hiding!

Last edited by Archie MillerLite; 12-13-2015 at 03:11 PM..
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Archie MillerLite For This Totally Excellent Post:
FlyerinChicago (12-13-2015), flyhi524 (12-13-2015), redbengal (12-13-2015), Smitty10 (12-13-2015)
Old 12-13-2015, 09:00 PM

Thanked 4,302 Times in 1,764 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Archie's comments are directed at the team more than the fans and pollsters. He knows there are weaknesseses in the team.

The problem with college players can be overconfidence. Archie is trying to keep their egos in check. They can also be tentative when things go poorly. One of the coaches told me that they work hard to lift the players when they are down and reduce their egos when they are doing well.

The two losses this year show that they have work to do to become a stay a top 25 team. There is a lot of work to do and there are a lot of games to be played.

You don't become top 25 by proclaiming it. You do it by winning.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (12-14-2015), Runnin' Rebel (12-14-2015)
Old 12-14-2015, 08:27 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,248 Times in 1,129 Posts
Bat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond repute
IMHO, this Post is an over reaction and misinterpretation of what AM meant: it's NOT that he doesn't want the team to be ranked, it's that he doesn't believe we're a top 25 caliber team at the moment. He sees our flaws everyday at practice, he watches tape, he analyzes our opponents, he's worked with some of the best coaches and has been involved with top programs and he knows what needs to be accomplished to be a top program; we're not there yet.

He doesn't want our kids to get too far ahead of themselves in thinking they're better than they are...it makes his job that much tougher if they do. We've got a lot of new faces and new line-ups and AM knows there is work to be done for the kids to come together and be a top competitor on the national stage. IMHO, it's not that he doesn't think we can break into the National rankings, but that he knows we have work to do to get there.
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Bat'71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bob G (12-16-2015), Canonball (12-16-2015), Garson (12-15-2015), roamp (01-08-2016), TerryK_67 (12-14-2015), TMPH66 (12-14-2015)
Old 12-14-2015, 09:01 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,285 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Ever hear of "coach-speak"?
Yep, that's exactly what Archie's comments were -- "coach speak!"

And now the fans are giving their "fans speak"...especially the long suffering fans/alum who've yearned to be ranked early and often. Archie knows that being ranked opens doors to recruits, etc., not to mention his own coaching stock. And I'm confident he would be able to manage his players and stoking the fire to keep them motivated to STAY ranked if/when that happens.
Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
FlyerinChicago (12-14-2015)
Old 12-14-2015, 09:16 AM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Sucks to have to stew in a loss for a week and wait to get the taste out of your mouth...Utah, Vanderbilit, Oregon, Gonzaga, and Cincinnati, all ranked near the bottom of the top 25 last week, all lost. UD might have been ranked this week.

Last edited by ud2; 12-14-2015 at 09:20 AM..
Old 12-14-2015, 12:41 PM

Oh what could have been, beat Chattanooga, get ranked, and they could possibly have stayed ranked for the rest of the year.
Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (12-14-2015)
Old 12-14-2015, 02:06 PM

GW got ranked this week.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:07 PM

Was just curious about the recent history of UD being ranked in the AP poll for more than 2 weeks: 2003 UD was ranked for 5 weeks, 2004 UD was ranked for 3 weeks, and 2008 UD was ranked for 4 weeks.

http://collegepollarchive.com/mbaske...6#.VnBlO_krKM8
Old 12-15-2015, 02:55 PM
Major

udflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond repute
What Archie said...

And I'm paraphrasing...

He didn't want to be ranked now because all it does is give us a chance to tell the team how good they are and continuously blow smoke into the nether regions.

Direct quote..."they're not that good right now"
Old 01-04-2016, 02:32 PM
2nd Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Archie MillerLite View Post
The complex of being scared of success, even still after the great last two years is alive and well in flyer nation. You would think the mindset would change, instead it's the same old BS.

I want to be ranked every **** year! Wouldn't you rather be a 4-7 seed come March instead of life support 11 seeds? It all starts with being ranked. That's how deep runs are built every year!

That being said, this team will be ranked if the win their next four, come Monday January 4. And that should be the short term goal, period.

Btw ---- people laughed but what did good Ol' MillerLite say?? Ranked by Jan. 4??? Thank Ya Thank Ya. Now let's capitalize on it, no one be scared. Our paper numbers are ridiculous win the next 4 and Dayton will be a top 16 team in the rankings.
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Archie MillerLite For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (01-04-2016), Levelbest (01-04-2016), rollo (01-04-2016), Runnin' Rebel (01-04-2016), ud2 (01-04-2016), UDEE79 (01-04-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 03:10 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,008 Posts
Buster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond repute
Btw ---- people laughed but what did good Ol' MillerLite say?? Ranked by Jan. 4??? Thank Ya Thank Ya. Now let's capitalize on it, no one be scared. Our paper numbers are ridiculous win the next 4 and Dayton will be a top 16 team in the rankings.
However, that won't happen though. Our record post-ranking is atrocious.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:46 PM
General

Thanked 5,457 Times in 2,385 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Buster Goode View Post
However, that won't happen though. Our record post-ranking is atrocious.
75%: we go 1-1 with a loss to a horrible LaSalle.
24%: we go 0-2.
1%: we win both.

No, not being serious, but it sure feels that way.

I will continue to say I want us to be ranked all the time. Get used to it, not have it be a special occasion worthy of great discussion.

Let's build a new tradition of lamenting that every time we crack the top 15 we lose and drop down into the 20-25 range again. Then build on that.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (01-04-2016), Levelbest (01-04-2016), swish61 (01-04-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 03:50 PM
Just off the Jet

Catman94 has a spectacular aura aboutCatman94 has a spectacular aura about
Dayton has 2 easy, 3 tough, then 5 more easy games. If we win five, we can win ten and that is what we need to get Top 16 and stay in even if we lose in the next three which are more difficult.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:01 PM

Thanked 6,634 Times in 3,033 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Catman94 View Post
Dayton has 2 easy, 3 tough, then 5 more easy games. If we win five, we can win ten and that is what we need to get Top 16 and stay in even if we lose in the next three which are more difficult.
No road game is "easy."
Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (01-04-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 04:10 PM
General

Thanked 4,343 Times in 2,135 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
According to RPI forecast, UD is favored to win all of their next 10 games, the closest predicted win is the game @ Fordham (57% chance of winning at the moment)

UD is then a slight dog in the next 2 games (@ Rhody, @ SJU)

Win the next 10, and by virtue of the nature of the polls, UD will be spot a top 15 ranking, perhaps even top 10. Certainly much easier said than done, @ Bonnies is always tough, and they are pretty good to boot, GW at home is going to be tough, Davidson burned UD last year, etc....
Old 01-04-2016, 04:33 PM
Colonel

Levelbest has much to be proud ofLevelbest has much to be proud ofLevelbest has much to be proud ofLevelbest has much to be proud ofLevelbest has much to be proud ofLevelbest has much to be proud ofLevelbest has much to be proud ofLevelbest has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post

I will continue to say I want us to be ranked all the time. Get used to it, not have it be a special occasion worthy of great discussion.

Let's build a new tradition of lamenting that every time we crack the top 15 we lose and drop down into the 20-25 range again. Then build on that.
Sing it loud brother!!!
Old 01-04-2016, 04:43 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
to infinity and beyond...
Old 01-04-2016, 04:59 PM

Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,139 Posts
ruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Medford View Post
According to RPI forecast, UD is favored to win all of their next 10 games, the closest predicted win is the game @ Fordham (57% chance of winning at the moment)

UD is then a slight dog in the next 2 games (@ Rhody, @ SJU)

Win the next 10, and by virtue of the nature of the polls, UD will be spot a top 15 ranking, perhaps even top 10. Certainly much easier said than done, @ Bonnies is always tough, and they are pretty good to boot, GW at home is going to be tough, Davidson burned UD last year, etc....
We are favored in all but 3-4 games the rest of the season, but UD unlikely to go 25-5. Just a quick primer for all of those not into sagarin, kenpom, etc.

Add the win % for the next 4 games for example to get expected wins and losses. Sagarin or Ken will say that more accurate over long periods of time like the rest of the season. For example, next 4 game win % according to kenpom.com = 86% + 83% + 81% + 71% = 321%. So expected won loss over next 4 games is 3.21 wins and .79 losses.

Both kenpom and sagarin have most likely scenario Dayton going 23-7 which would mean 13-5 in A-10 play.
Mad Props to ruechalgrin For This Totally Excellent Post:
SeasonTicketFan (01-04-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 05:04 PM
2nd Lieutenant

The short term goal again is to win the next 4 games. Getting Dayton to a 15-18 ranking, that way if they lose one or two they continue to stay ranked.

If they can pull off the next four and don't have any back to back losses the rest of the year - they should be ranked come Brooklyn.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:06 PM
Brigadier General

forego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile

I like the thread; I like the flow, and as a fan I want it all.

Still, I PREFER Archie's eye on sorting out, putting it together, and peaking when it matters.

Getting in, being tournament ready, and doing an elite eight suits me just fine.
Mad Props to forego1 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-08-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 05:44 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,563 Times in 944 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
The concept of not wanting to be ranked strikes me as being absurd. Accordingly, we'd really hate to be number 1 then!!!!!
Mad Props to maddog07 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (01-04-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Medford View Post
Maybe you move up 2-3? spots every week that you don't lose...10 wins in a row should maybe be around top 10 or better with a 21-2 record.

I think UD will win the next three, UMass, LaSalle, Davidson...GW at home looks tough.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:49 PM

Thanked 4,302 Times in 1,764 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Ranking is important if:
1) You deserved to be ranked
2) Your players' don't get big egos and think they are better than they really are
3) It helps recruits better players
4) It gives more exposure to the program especially during selection Sunday. (Face it, name teams get preferences).
5) Development can get more contributions from alumni and supporters.

Given the way the team has played at times, I think Archie worries about #1 and #2
Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-08-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 05:57 PM

Thanked 6,634 Times in 3,033 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by maddog07 View Post
The concept of not wanting to be ranked strikes me as being absurd. Accordingly, we'd really hate to be number 1 then!!!!!
One is the loneliest number.
Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-08-2016)
Old 01-04-2016, 06:00 PM
Captain

UDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant future
Something about the LaSalle game just screams let down to me. The loss there at the end of last season was brutal. I fully expect to beat UMass at home with a great crowd, and I think the team will be riding high into LaSalle and drop one on the road to a lesser team just like every other year. Hope I'm wrong.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:53 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,221 Times in 549 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
to infinity and beyond...
Uh, isn't infinity a really, really, really large number? I thought the goal was to get to the smallest number in the polls. Lol
Old 01-04-2016, 08:40 PM
General

Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,408 Posts
frisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond repute
The short term goal again is to win the next 4 games. Getting Dayton to a 15-18 ranking, that way if they lose one or two they continue to stay ranked.

If they can pull off the next four and don't have any back to back losses the rest of the year - they should be ranked come Brooklyn.
I think the short term goal is to beat the Minutemen. We can overlook no one. We are top dog in the A10, and now we are ranked! We will get everybody's best shot. We cannot sleepwalk through any wins in the A10, we have to earn each and every one. That means one W at a time.

The price of success!
Old 01-04-2016, 09:49 PM
1st Lieutenant

UD94 is a splendid one to beholdUD94 is a splendid one to beholdUD94 is a splendid one to beholdUD94 is a splendid one to beholdUD94 is a splendid one to beholdUD94 is a splendid one to beholdUD94 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by UDFlyer23 View Post
Something about the LaSalle game just screams let down to me. The loss there at the end of last season was brutal. I fully expect to beat UMass at home with a great crowd, and I think the team will be riding high into LaSalle and drop one on the road to a lesser team just like every other year. Hope I'm wrong.

LaSalle is battling Saint Louis for worst team in the conference. Gotta think we win that one going away.

Hey everyone....CHEER UP!!! We are ranked and Archie will get the guys ready for EVERY game. Oh yeah, and a guy named Pierre just might be helpful too!
Old 01-07-2016, 04:46 PM

Thanked 4,603 Times in 2,849 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Sure does matter...

If PR matters, then being ranked matters. The sports section of most local papers every day reviews games of Top 25 teams, with a short para about each. With the Flyers at #25 that means last nights UMass game received its "short para". That's good PR.

Making the Top 25 and the dance regularly, consistently, matters enormously for Dayton basketball. It's not easy to do even one year. Pulling it off consistently year after year establishes ("restablishes") the Flyer brand. That's what peers like X, Gonzaga, Villanova,....have been able to do. We're on the right track.

Absent that #25 spot,..nada.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-08-2016), ud2 (01-07-2016)
Old 01-07-2016, 04:53 PM
General of the Air Force

CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UACFlyer View Post
If PR matters, then being ranked matters. The sports section of most local papers every day reviews games of Top 25 teams, with a short para about each. With the Flyers at #25 that means last nights UMass game received its "short para". That's good PR.

Making the Top 25 and the dance regularly, consistently, matters enormously for Dayton basketball. It's not easy to do even one year. Pulling it off consistently year after year establishes ("restablishes") the Flyer brand. That's what peers like X, Gonzaga, Villanova,....have been able to do. We're on the right track.

What is a "local paper"?
Old 01-07-2016, 04:53 PM
General

Agree with everything you said except one. Nova? They've been an established somewhat mid-pack powerhouse for a long, long time. Have an NCAA championship and a runner up to their history.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:04 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 4,000 Times in 1,176 Posts
THirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond repute
This is a small thing, but I typically listen to NBA radio on SiriusXM on the way to work every morning. Today, I got to hear that Dayton was victorious during the sports update at the top of the hour. Being ranked is fun.
Posted via Mobile Device
7 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to THirt For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-08-2016), flyerfanatic86 (01-08-2016), Gazoo (01-08-2016), jack72 (01-07-2016), Jeff (01-08-2016), ruechalgrin (01-07-2016), San Diego Flyer (01-07-2016)
Old 01-07-2016, 05:30 PM

UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Huh?

What is a "local paper"?
A "local" paper is one with relatively limited circulation covering a "local" area.

USA Today, the New York Times, the Wall St. Journal are not local papers. The "local" paper I was referring to covers a few towns east of the CT river in greater Hartford.....a locale where a percentage (small) of the residents think they may have heard of Dayton Ohio at one time or another in their lives. There are dozen, or so, such papers in CT; they all have sports pages.

A paper with a somewhat larger circulation but still "local" is the Hartord Courant covering the Greater Hartford "local" area.

Papers like that cover only local sports...they pick up all the rest from the wire services. That's how a team like the Flyers gets coverage when it cracks the Top 25.... AP provides coverage for use by local media.

C'mon `80,...you know all this stuff.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:16 PM
General of the Air Force

A "local" paper is one with relatively limited circulation covering a "local" area.

USA Today, the New York Times, the Wall St. Journal are not local papers. The "local" paper I was referring to covers a few towns east of the CT river in greater Hartford.....a locale where a percentage (small) of the residents think they may have heard of Dayton Ohio at one time or another in their lives. There are dozen, or so, such papers in CT; they all have sports pages.

A paper with a somewhat larger circulation but still "local" is the Hartord Courant covering the Greater Hartford "local" area.

Papers like that cover only local sports...they pick up all the rest from the wire services. That's how a team like the Flyers gets coverage when it cracks the Top 25.... AP provides coverage for use by local media.iio

C'mon `80,...you know all this stuff.
I know, I was just being me ( a wise a$$) I actually read the local paper every day but on the iPad but I would say most of my friends don't. I wonder what the numbers look like as far as demographics and local newspaper readership. A friend is pretty high up at the Cleveland Plain Dealer and he does not paint a pretty picture.

I like not having to use the drop down menu on ESPN website to go from top 25 to A10 to get to the Flyer box score.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:26 PM

Interesting...

I know, I was just being me ( a wise a$$) I actually read the local paper every day but on the iPad but I would say most of my friends don't. I wonder what the numbers look like as far as demographics and local newspaper readership. A friend is pretty high up at the Cleveland Plain Dealer and he does not paint a pretty picture.

I like not having to use the drop down menu on ESPN website to go from top 25 to A10 to get to the Flyer box score.
Re the comment by your Plain Dealer friend....."paper" newspapers everywhere are taking a beating these days. I understand why...but at the same time, I don't. Personally, I can't imagine satisfaction from reading a magazine, book, newspaper, etc, by looking at a screen.

To each his own, I suppose.
Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Canonball (01-08-2016)
Old 01-08-2016, 08:51 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,248 Times in 1,129 Posts
Bat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond repute
Well, newspapers have been plagued by changing technology, demographic shifts, alternative news sources and lifestyle changes. Newspapers (and magazines) have had a hard time adapting their revenue models to reflect these new dynamics and as a result many have folded (no pun intended.) Moreover, some of the ways print media have reacted to revenue short falls, such as cutting back on content and raising prices, have been counter productive...providing less value at a higher cost. In order to boost revenues, Print media may need to simply cut pricing drastically, perhaps going so far as some neighborhood circulars by offering free content, to dramatically ramp up circulation in order to attract more advertising dollars. An in-depth analysis of all the issues confronting print media and possible methods of counteracting them would make for an interesting case study at the Undergraduate or Graduate B-school level. It would definitely call for a multi-disciplinary approach to problem solving.*

*Wow, methinks this Thread just got hijacked...sorry, now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Last edited by Bat'71; 01-08-2016 at 08:53 AM..
Old 01-08-2016, 09:41 AM
General

Thanked 5,457 Times in 2,385 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
75%: we go 1-1 with a loss to a horrible LaSalle.
24%: we go 0-2.
1%: we win both.

No, not being serious, but it sure feels that way.

Prove me wrong, Archie.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (01-08-2016), flyerfanatic86 (01-08-2016)
Old 01-08-2016, 09:51 AM
General of the Air Force

Re the comment by your Plain Dealer friend....."paper" newspapers everywhere are taking a beating these days. I understand why...but at the same time, I don't. Personally, I can't imagine satisfaction from reading a magazine, book, newspaper, etc, by looking at a screen.

I was the same way regarding actual paper but then the PD starting cutting home delivery to 4 days per week so I had to read it on the ipad the other days anyway. There really is not much in there. I read it in about 10 minutes when I have my morning bowl of cereal.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:53 AM

Thanked 1,650 Times in 838 Posts
Canonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond repute

I love getting the morning paper. If only for the crossword.
Mad Props to Canonball For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (01-08-2016)
Old 01-08-2016, 12:29 PM
Major

66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of
I always read the sports section first, then make myself read the first two sections before the Life with the puzzles. Costs too much to skip anything, especially since I don't watch the depressing TV news much.
RE: being ranked--I have mixed feelings. It's great being ranked, but over the years, it's also been a curse due to losing soon after. Maybe this is the year they break the jinx.
Win at LaSalle, come home for two more wins and move up far enough so that if we lose one, we don't fall all the way out. Just hoping!
To those of you bemoaning "ugly" games even though we win. I hope you appreciate the "prettiness" of a 30 pt. win over a normally better A10 team. SOMETHING must make you happy now and then.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to 66flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (01-09-2016), Glen Clark (01-08-2016), John C. (01-08-2016), UACFlyer (01-09-2016)
Old 01-08-2016, 11:58 PM
Major

ScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud of
I really really really want to break the top ten, or at least rank higher than we did in OP's last year. Have we sniffed such a high top 25 ranking since?
Old 01-09-2016, 07:08 AM
General

Thanked 1,269 Times in 787 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ScottyExpress View Post
I really really really want to break the top ten, or at least rank higher than we did in OP's last year. Have we sniffed such a high top 25 ranking since?
Think we were ranked 14th for a minute Chris Wright's early in career

Then 19th a few years ago. Also for about 10 seconds before we blew the pooch.

Last edited by Flyer 86; 01-09-2016 at 07:12 AM..
Old 01-09-2016, 08:23 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
Archie's goal is to be #1 at the end of the season, I think we can all agree that iis also every fan's goal.

For recruiting it would seem that victories in the ncaa tournament far outweigh early season rankings
Mad Props to UDBrian For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (01-09-2016)
Old 01-09-2016, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Flyer 86 View Post
Think we were ranked 14th for a minute Chris Wright's early in career

Then 19th a few years ago. Also for about 10 seconds before we blew the pooch.
Yes, they were ranked as high as #16 in OP's final year, 2003, and BG holds the "modern" era record at #14 in 2008.

Blackburn and Donoher were ranked highly many times in the 50's, 60's, and 70's.

http://collegepollarchive.com/mbaske...9#.VpESQhUrKM8
Old 01-09-2016, 10:07 AM

Thanked 10,172 Times in 5,900 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Big week for ratings. Away game at LaSalle, Davidson Tuesday and GW on a short turnaround Friday. Hard to win 3, but with the two tough ones at home, possible.
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (01-09-2016)
Old 01-09-2016, 04:13 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,262 Times in 666 Posts
FlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond repute
Absolutely classic Dayton: Ranked and then lose to the RPI # 271 team within the week. Some things never change.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FlyerGuyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (01-10-2016), pmcmullen (01-09-2016), redbengal (01-09-2016), UACFlyer (01-09-2016)
Old 01-09-2016, 04:19 PM
Major

Originally Posted by FlyerGuyer View Post
Absolutely classic Dayton: Ranked and then lose to the RPI # 271 team within the week. Some things never change.
It's the most difficult place for our team and me and my staff to play," Miller said. "We've had some real ugly ones up there where we've laid an egg, particularly last year with a chance to win a conference championship and didn't get the job done."

At least Archie let his players and staff know there was a very solid chance of a loss today.
Old 01-09-2016, 04:21 PM
Major General

kiefaber455 is infamous around these partskiefaber455 is infamous around these partskiefaber455 is infamous around these partskiefaber455 is infamous around these partskiefaber455 is infamous around these partskiefaber455 is infamous around these partskiefaber455 is infamous around these partskiefaber455 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ScottyExpress View Post
They're not going to sniff top 25 until maybe next year after the LaSalle loss
Old 01-09-2016, 04:27 PM
Brigadier General

forego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond repute
ha, ah , ha, ha where is the shoot myself symbol ?
Old 01-09-2016, 04:28 PM
Colonel

pmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond repute
Talked himself right into not being a Top 25 program. What an epic choke job. I've never seen a team try so hard to lose a basketball game.
Old 01-09-2016, 05:11 PM

Thanked 10,172 Times in 5,900 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
It did not matter today who took the shots or who played defense. They all stunk. Turnovers, bad shooting, no movement, not covering their man on defense, poor clutch free throw shooting and absence of coaching. We have seen the bottom, and it is us.
Old 01-09-2016, 05:12 PM

But didn't we know it?

Originally Posted by pmcmullen View Post
Talked himself right into not being a Top 25 program. What an epic choke job. I've never seen a team try so hard to lose a basketball game.
To even the most loyal, well informed Prider....how much of your own money would you have bet on a Flyer win today....knowing what we all know....first week cracking the Top 25....first game! Doom.

Really good teams demonstrate consistency. Of course they lose at times, sometimes against teams they should beat. But, for really good teams that's a rarity. Dayton has already demonstrated that it's good enough to beat really good teams. Unfortunately, we've also demonstrated that we can be beaten by poor or just average teams...not in a blue moon...but all too often. Indeed, a win or two against poor or average teams could just as easily been a loss.

I'm disgusted...disgusted that I let myself become so emotionally invested in a game played by kids whose minds already are probably on other things,...like what am I going to do tonight?

After the UTC loss we had to win four or five in a row to suck the pollsters and fans into thinking we were a Top 25 team. After La Salle it will take another four or five in a row to win them back. That won't be easy.

Consistent we ain't.