UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Poll Results: You have a split-second to make the call...what is it?
Goaltending...2 pts 2 6.90%
Basket Interference...2 pts 6 20.69%
Technical for smacking the backboard...2 FTs and the ball 1 3.45%
Technical and Goaltending...2 pts, 2 FTs and the ball. 0 0%
Technical and Basket Interference...2 pts, 2 FTs and the ball 3 10.34%
No call 17 58.62%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-08-2018, 09:07 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,876 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
You Make the Call - Smacking the backboard

I reffed an AAU tourney this past weekend and here's a YMtC to ponder...

It's an up and down game...fast paced, little defense and even less fundamentals. Kids at the AAU level love to show off their dribbling skills and deep 3's, and rarely like to show off their defensive skills...which makes the royal ref sad because we all know you win with defense (except the Cavs...they win with LeBron!).

So Joey-the-Cherrypicker takes off deep after a shot. His teammate grabs the miss and throws it deep for a layup. Little does Joey know that James-the-Swatter is on his tail. Joey goes in for the layup and at the last second, sees the Swatter and double pumps.

The double pump was a little strong and went higher off the backboard than planned...but Swatter went for it anyway and with as much energy and effort as possible, went for the rejection...but missed!

Because Swatter missed the ball, there was a very loud 'WHACK' as his palm smashed against the backboard. Because Joey was a little intimidated and tossed the ball too high, the shot completely missed the rim...a very embarrassing airball!

You're the ref....what's your call....

Last edited by rollo; 05-08-2018 at 09:12 AM..
Advertisement
Old 05-08-2018, 09:46 AM

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
No call...had contact been made with the ball...it "may" have been a goaltending depending on the upward or downward flight of ball.

If backboard is slapped due to a play on a ball or incidental contact...no call...

If a backboard is slapped out of frustration or some other unsportsmanlike play such as showboating...tech.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
cj (05-08-2018), Figgie123 (05-08-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 10:34 AM

Thanked 1,302 Times in 674 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Now that I've re-read, I would change my call to no call. I missed the part about it being an air-ball. I think if the ball had hit the backboard and then the player hits the backboard, then my guess is basket interference, but since it was an air ball, probably no call. And I'm probably wrong at my normal 50% pace.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:53 PM
General

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TXFlyerFan View Post
Now that I've re-read, I would change my call to no call. I missed the part about it being an air-ball. I think if the ball had hit the backboard and then the player hits the backboard, then my guess is basket interference, but since it was an air ball, probably no call. And I'm probably wrong at my normal 50% pace.
I read it to say the shot hit high on the backboard, but too strongly to fall gently into the rim.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:55 PM
General

Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
I say it's like grabbing the rim, even if the shot may not have gone in either way you can't grab it and then leave it to the ref and his protractor to figure out the angle of decent. It still rattles the rim so I say basket interference.

Plus, intentionally slapping the backboard forcefully like that doesn't happen purely by accident. Judgement call, but based on the description ("with as much energy and effort as possible") it sounds to me like rollo is saying he smacked it on purpose, which is a T.

If it wasn't deemed to be on purpose in the moment I would say no T.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:18 AM
General

Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
I say it's like grabbing the rim, even if the shot may not have gone in either way you can't grab it and then leave it to the ref and his protractor to figure out the angle of decent. It still rattles the rim so I say basket interference.

Plus, intentionally slapping the backboard forcefully like that doesn't happen purely by accident. Judgement call, but based on the description ("with as much energy and effort as possible") it sounds to me like rollo is saying he smacked it on purpose, which is a T.

If it wasn't deemed to be on purpose in the moment I would say no T.
So I assumed the intent was on purpose, and that it rattled the rim, so I got it right!
Old 05-08-2018, 03:22 PM

Thanked 1,302 Times in 674 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
I read it to say the shot hit high on the backboard, but too strongly to fall gently into the rim.
It reads a bit odd. On one hand it says too high off the backboard but then says embarrassing air ball. I always considered an air ball something that didn't touch backboard or rim as opposed to not just touching rim. Maybe my definition is wrong.
Old 05-08-2018, 01:08 PM
Captain

Larymike is a name known to allLarymike is a name known to allLarymike is a name known to allLarymike is a name known to allLarymike is a name known to allLarymike is a name known to all
Him slapping the backboard didn't alter the ball movement so no call.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:13 PM
1st Lieutenant

88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of
Total guess on basket interference only. No T because it was not intentional. No goal tending because he didn't touch the ball. I'm thinking if the ball is above the rim, the defense can't touch the rim, net, backboard, etc... The shot does not have to be a shot that will go in - it just has to have a chance...

... and I'm ready for the King smackdown.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:05 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,223 Times in 585 Posts
CvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Basket interference 2 points because as a defender you can’t touch the backboard, the rim or the net on an attempted shot! The referee can’t tell if the shot has a chance to go in or not! A shot is a shot even if it is a lousy attempt.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:49 AM

shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CvilleFlyer View Post
Basket interference 2 points because as a defender you can’t touch the backboard, the rim or the net on an attempted shot! The referee can’t tell if the shot has a chance to go in or not! A shot is a shot even if it is a lousy attempt.
You can while making a basketball play on the ball. If you swat to block a shot and come into contact with the backboard, it is perfectly legal unless the ball is on the rim.

The rule depends on where the ball is. If the ball is in the air and there is an attempted block as the ball is in the air and a defenders hand hits the backboard, there is no violation as the ball has to be in the cylinder or rim.

Ball on rim or cylinder, you have issues. Ball outside cylinder or rim, no issue.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:38 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,206 Times in 542 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post
You can while making a basketball play on the ball. If you swat to block a shot and come into contact with the backboard, it is perfectly legal unless the ball is on the rim.

The rule depends on where the ball is. If the ball is in the air and there is an attempted block as the ball is in the air and a defenders hand hits the backboard, there is no violation as the ball has to be in the cylinder or rim.

Ball on rim or cylinder, you have issues. Ball outside cylinder or rim, no issue.
While I will take your word for the rule, you should know it better than i, I respectfully disagree with the rule. It would be very difficult to bank a shot in off of a shaking backboard.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by UDGutter2 View Post
While I will take your word for the rule, you should know it better than i, I respectfully disagree with the rule. It would be very difficult to bank a shot in off of a shaking backboard.
There may be an exemption if the basket moves to cause a ball to not go in as there is if the net or rim is grabbed and doesn't reset to level prior to the ball getting there.

Regarding the comments posed reference the quoted incident, the slap of the backboard was a result of a player trying to block a shot. It is virtually impossible for an airborne defender to stop a hand/arm motion on a block attempt if the offensive player throws up an errant shot. The D shouldn't be penalized due to poor O play. It would be as if a player went to pin a layup and the offensive player threw it over the backboard...O shouldn't be rewarded.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:44 AM

There may be another interpretation that Rollo can educate us on too...
Old 05-10-2018, 10:56 AM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I say if his slap hit the board above the box, stop play and immediately offer him a scholarship.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (05-10-2018), IAFlyer (05-14-2018), rollo (05-10-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 12:44 PM

rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
I'll just say this: The backboards at Beavercreek HS's main gym are as tightly secured as any I've ever seen because this kid hit it hard and nothing shook...not even a little.

As Shocka shared, as long as you smack the backboard during a legitimate attempt to block a shot, it's legal and 'no-call' is proper. I'm not going to get involved with the details of 'goaltending' and/or 'basket interference' because they don't apply IN THIS SITUATION.

A couple years ago I was at a tournament where a kid did the same thing and the entire backboard shook back and forth causing an easy layup to roll off the rim. His attempt to block the shot was legit, but it was on a basket that was lowered from the ceiling and loose enough that a 'smack' made it move. In that case, you blow the play dead and count the basket. But only because he affected the play.

King Rollo the Rule Interpreter...OUT!
shocka43 (05-10-2018), TXFlyerFan (05-10-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 05:16 PM
1st Lieutenant

88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of
Hmmm... by this rule, the backboard only has to "vibrate", which if it was hit that hard, it vibrated. If the ball was in the cylinder, which extends up above the rim, I would interpret differently than the king, but then again, that's why i'm an armchair ref (and that's an older rule book, so it could have changed). I defer to the King.

"Violations- Basket Interference. (Rule 9-17.2.5). Basket interference occurs
when a player causes the basket or backboard to vibrate when the ball is on or
within the basket or the backboard and/or is on or in the cylinder."

Originally Posted by rollo View Post
I'll just say this: The backboards at Beavercreek HS's main gym are as tightly secured as any I've ever seen because this kid hit it hard and nothing shook...not even a little.

As Shocka shared, as long as you smack the backboard during a legitimate attempt to block a shot, it's legal and 'no-call' is proper. I'm not going to get involved with the details of 'goaltending' and/or 'basket interference' because they don't apply IN THIS SITUATION.

A couple years ago I was at a tournament where a kid did the same thing and the entire backboard shook back and forth causing an easy layup to roll off the rim. His attempt to block the shot was legit, but it was on a basket that was lowered from the ceiling and loose enough that a 'smack' made it move. In that case, you blow the play dead and count the basket. But only because he affected the play.

King Rollo the Rule Interpreter...OUT!

Last edited by 88flyer; 05-10-2018 at 05:21 PM..
Old 05-10-2018, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by 88flyer View Post
Hmmm... by this rule, the backboard only has to "vibrate", which if it was hit that hard, it vibrated. If the ball was in the cylinder, which extends up above the rim, I would interpret differently than the king, but then again, that's why i'm an armchair ref (and that's an older rule book, so it could have changed). I defer to the King.

"Violations- Basket Interference. (Rule 9-17.2.5). Basket interference occurs
when a player causes the basket or backboard to vibrate when the ball is on or
within the basket or the backboard and/or is on or in the cylinder."
I'm tellin' ya...the backboard didn't vibrate. It was like a brick wall. Not that it mattered...therefore:

NO CALL!
88flyer (05-11-2018)