Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 04:42 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,914 Times in 1,084 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Archie vs. Anthony - Revisited

Now that we have progressed through 11 games in the 2017-18 season (I counted the exhibition) what do you think the differences would have been IF Archie was still the head coach?

We know what we have seen with AG as coach. Again, “What would have happened if Archie was in charge?”

First the new players.

Under Archie we would see Jordan Pierce, Jordan Davis, Svoboda and N Carter plus M Wright.

It appears that J Pierce would still be limited in Archie’s system. How about Carter? I don’t know much about him.

We know that M Wright would most likely play a good portion of minutes judging from his performance over in the state of Colorado. But if we had Wright under Grant wouldn’t you think that it would be the same as if Wright was playing for Archie?

Remember Archie really stressed deeeefense! Who here now as constructed with the above 5 freshmen and the returners would suffer in that important aspect under AM? Would Svoboda see much court time?

Now last year’s players.

Would we see much of Trey Landers? He wasn’t much of an on court player under Archie. What did AM see that made Archie think Trey didn’t quite fit in his system? It seems under coach Grant, Landers has displayed more confidence than what I remember from last year. Did Archie squash Landers confidence?

DD was also somewhat limited in his shot confidence under Archie. Although if I remember his defense improved under Archie last year, DD just didn’t seem to exhibit much confidence in any other aspect of his game. I think he earned playing time based purely on his defense.

Crosby is another enigma from last year. Although he shows some flashes from last year being a turn-over machine (at least early in this season), he has been able to put together a few games where he plays well. Is it because Anthony has given him back his confidence? Archie wouldn’t put up with turnovers or lapses in defense, whereas Grant has allowed some of that during a game. Don’t you think?

After all Crosby was ready to get out of town shortly after AG’s arrival and I think Anthony talked him into staying. What was said?

Does Anthony have a more personable approach to his players? Has that made a difference? Is he allowing his players to ‘play the game’. He seems willing to leave a player in after a mistake or decision gone wrong whereas Archie yanked his players real quick. Nothing hurts the flow of a game for a player then when you have to look over your shoulder to see if the coach is PO’ed about something you just did. Do you think Anthony’s approach has helped in player confidence? I do.

Archie showed tremendous ability to manage a team with adversity. Faced with the injuries this year’s team has seen, would we be in any better position (.500) under AM? X out for what a month, Kostas injury over the summer and delayed game shape starting the season. Landers ankle injury. (Or would he not have sustained it under Archie as he doesn’t get to play many minutes?)

And what about the unexpected loss of Sam Miller. He seemed to be in Archie's dog house more than anyone. This would seem to be a wash as he is an unlikely player either way.

Obviously, Anthony has had to face these same injuries (along with loss of a scholly player in Miller) and I think he has done about the best he could under the circumstances.

In the final analysis I can’t quite see Archie doing much better this year. Having all his recruits in house lets’ say Wright is the go to guy. What does that do for DD? Does Wright average equal DD’s? If so that’s a swap (consider DD being in single digit averages under AM, IIRC). Josh C is ... well Josh. How do you get more than what Cunningham is providing now? How about Jordan Davis? How does that work into playing alongside a Wright?

Does the 2 Davis’s playing together as they are now much different than if it was Wright and Jordan Davis in this Archie led scenario?

So is the major difference between AM and Grant their system differences? They would have almost the same set pieces with the same injuries and schedule.

I say we would be facing almost the same results (+/- 1 game). I am assuming that last years players, in particular, Landers, DD and Crosby under Archie in this scenario would perform much as they were performing last year. Maybe that is a lot to assume. But maybe not.

This is not meant to be a knock on either coach. Just the contemplation of what is and what may have been under AM as HC.

I think Anthony Grant will be successful. I think Archie will be successful where he is.

Go Flyers!
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to NJFlyr71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bonziflyer (12-20-2017), FLYER5 (12-19-2017), skip69 (12-20-2017)
Advertisement
Old 12-19-2017, 05:09 PM
Brigadier General

FLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond repute
I think Archie would have this team looking much better at the same point. Been dying to answer that question..
Mad Props to FLYER5 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-20-2017)
Old 12-19-2017, 05:11 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Just what we need - another sh!t storm thread starter.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:15 PM
Brigadier General

FLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond repute
You don't have to participate, Felicia
Closed Thread