User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 01-29-2018, 12:50 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,206 Times in 542 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Reality

Dayton is one of the least experienced teams in the country in returning minutes played.

Dayton is playing a top 10 strength of schedule according to RPI.

Dayton has a new coach, and new system.

They are not going anywhere this season unless they win the tournament.

Those are all facts that we all know.

At this point, winning regular season games is meaningless, so long as they stay in the top ten in the conference (preferrably top 4). Everything else is a learning exercise for those 3/4 days in March. If you truly do learn more from losses than wins, bring on the losses, they sure didn't seem to learn much from their win over VCU.
11 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDGutter2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ChampCar (02-02-2018), cralford (01-30-2018), CvilleFlyer (01-29-2018), Flyer14 (01-30-2018), GoFlyer (01-29-2018), Jeff (01-29-2018), m21eagle45 (01-29-2018), MNFats (01-29-2018), NYCFLYER (01-30-2018), OSU Flyer (01-29-2018), PalmBeachFlyer (01-30-2018)
Advertisement
Old 01-29-2018, 01:06 PM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Winning the A10 tourney would be awesome but for me at least this season is showing improvement as team and for the young guys over the course year especially down the stretch.
Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
steverino015 (01-29-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 01:39 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Reality; this team presently does NOT have the horses to be good or consistent. Need the players back who have not played this year, another couple recruits, plenty of progress by at least a couple of the freshman and some better coaching recognition by this staff.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to steve For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-29-2018), Southwest (01-29-2018), steverino015 (01-29-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 01:41 PM
1st Lieutenant

sabo2 is a name known to allsabo2 is a name known to allsabo2 is a name known to allsabo2 is a name known to allsabo2 is a name known to allsabo2 is a name known to all
I think the team is a little better than I expected. Before the season started I commented that the coach should be judged on if the team is better at the end than at the beginning. I think the team is better. This year we have an inexperienced team, very short and with little bench support. We do have some shooters which gives us a punchers chance in tourney, however, rebounding and defense usually win out and we don't have that.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to sabo2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-29-2018), UDGutter2 (01-29-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 01:45 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sabo2 View Post
I think the team is a little better than I expected. Before the season started I commented that the coach should be judged on if the team is better at the end than at the beginning. I think the team is better. This year we have an inexperienced team, very short and with little bench support. We do have some shooters which gives us a punchers chance in tourney, however, rebounding and defense usually win out and we don't have that.
UD was definitely thinking they'd get far more out of a rising player in Williams in his all around game (still hurt?) and never thought that Koustas after 20 games would still be this far behind and unable to even stay on the floor.
Mad Props to steve For This Totally Excellent Post:
steverino015 (01-29-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 02:19 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,086 Times in 640 Posts
steverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond repute
oh and I bet my bottom dollar UD never figured that Kostas or Svoboda would be non performing to this level at this point in the season... the injuries... they are, record wise, right where I thought they would be.. what bothers me the most, is how after a great win, they can act like deer caught in headlights on the very next game. I know, it was away but just when I think a streak is around the corner, they lay an egg.
Mad Props to steverino015 For This Totally Excellent Post:
steve (01-29-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 09:30 PM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDGutter2 View Post
Dayton is one of the least experienced teams in the country in returning minutes played.

Dayton is playing a top 10 strength of schedule according to RPI.

Dayton has a new coach, and new system.

They are not going anywhere this season unless they win the tournament.

Those are all facts that we all know.

At this point, winning regular season games is meaningless, so long as they stay in the top ten in the conference (preferrably top 4). Everything else is a learning exercise for those 3/4 days in March. If you truly do learn more from losses than wins, bring on the losses, they sure didn't seem to learn much from their win over VCU.
Get your point.

However, winning is important, and not guaranteed. Creating a culture of winning (the right way) is paramount. Great coaches always focus on this.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:39 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,993 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Generally agree with just about everything in this thread. The reality is, even if Archie had stayed, this team was going to look radically different than the ones we had seen for the past 3-4 seasons. No Scoochie meant no experienced point guard to direct the offense. No Kyle meant no “junkyard dog” attitude on D. And so on. So, things were going to look different regardless. But that doesn’t mean we should “accept” where we are. Improvement is still sorely needed.

The two biggest problems I see at this point in this season are (a) the variance from top to bottom in terms of player development, and (b) the inconsistency in effort from game to game.

To address the first: we have some players who are generally exceeding my expectations at this point. In particular, Crutcher has come a long way since the Ball State game, and Darrell is shooting lights-out compared to the last 2 seasons. By contrast, X is just now starting to resemble the guy who made valuable contributions last year (maybe his back was more of a problem than I thought), and Crosby seems to have backslid after showing progress earlier in the season. Too much player-to-player variation in terms of skill development.

To address the second: I understand that young teams will be inconsistent. But to see a team that was as locked-in as the one that beat VCU play so flat against St. Joe’s, then come back 2 games later to will-out a victory over Davidson only to give-up down the stretch against SLU, well, it’s frustrating and disappointing. It’s going to take a concerted, unified effort from players and coaches alike to overcome this inconsistency.

Was a down year foreseeabile? Yes. But that doesn’t mean anyone should accept the result as if it’s completely unavoidable. Effort can be a great equalizer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
steverino015 (01-30-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 06:27 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,328 Times in 1,078 Posts
longtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond repute
I am sensing that some players have given up on AG. They should all remember at this point of the season; “it’s not how you start, it’s how you finish”. I really believe that the number 4 seed in the A10 standings is up for grabs. That mean potentially gel as a team at the right time, get hot for 3 games and you still make the dance. Besides RI, this team has played with and beaten teams at the top of the standings. Its not too late...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-30-2018, 08:53 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 1,302 Times in 674 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Old 01-30-2018, 10:18 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,558 Times in 941 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by longtimefan67 View Post
I am sensing that some players have given up on AG. They should all remember at this point of the season; “it’s not how you start, it’s how you finish”. I really believe that the number 4 seed in the A10 standings is up for grabs. That mean potentially gel as a team at the right time, get hot for 3 games and you still make the dance. Besides RI, this team has played with and beaten teams at the top of the standings. Its not too late...
Posted via Mobile Device
Wow! Probably spider sense. Who then? And what evidences this?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-30-2018, 01:03 PM
Colonel

Flyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant future
It seemed more at St Louis that they had given up on each other -
and themselves.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:23 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,763 Times in 928 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
The loss of Mikesell was downplayed. The return of an improved (or even baseline) X was assumed. Both of those sentiments proved incorrect and costly.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:47 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 1,650 Times in 838 Posts
Canonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond repute
Reality is that the team is a reflection of this board right now ... bipolar. :-) Just wish they could figure out a way to string together a two game win streak at this point.
Old 01-30-2018, 02:18 PM
Just off the Jet

funkymonkey15 will become famous soon enough
It is a bummer watching this program at times, especially all the years of success we have had with Archie. I think we have a good team once these guys get experience. Give us 2-3 years, with new recruits that AG brings in and some of the freshman players we have now, I think we will be a top 3 team in the conference again
Old 01-30-2018, 02:24 PM
1st Lieutenant

big jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud ofbig jordan has much to be proud of
The team this year has zero guys who can use the dribble consistently to create their own shot or one for others. Zero guys with a handle. It’s the root cause of our turnovers, along with inexperience. I’m not expecting much next year either unless this changed with experience and Cohill. Turnovers and stagnant offense will doom the team most days
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to big jordan For This Totally Excellent Post:
bryan (01-30-2018)