» Advertisement
Comment

Article Tools Display Modes
Las Vegas Redux and Other Musings
Published by Swampy Meadows
10-08-2014

SOMEWHERE IN THE AIR HEADED TO LAS VEGAS (NV) -- “From the Swamp” is coming to you once again while in transit to that den of scum and villainy, Lost Wages. Regular readers will recall that “FTS” originated from here this time last year, as I’m once again headed to the annual HR Tech Show at Mandalay Bay. For some unknown reason I bothered to check the Weather Channel 10 day forecast -- 90s every day and 0% chance of precip -- it’s the desert stupid!

Some thoughts while cruising at 35,000 feet:

-- Hey, maybe I’ll run into fellow ex-Bostonian Bill Simmons while here. Simmons is on a three week involuntary vacation from ESPN for calling NFL head dude Roger Goodell “a liar” over the Ray Rice affair in a Grantland podcast. BS then dared TWWL to discipline him. Challenge accepted!

-- Speaking of Grantland, wordsmith extraordinaire Charles P. Pierce gives new meaning to the term “curmudgeon” and I mean that in the best possible sense of the word.

-- A recent True Team tweet congratulated the winners in various drills and included the name “J Gruden” on the list. No, the former Flyer backup QB and ESPN announcer isn’t suiting up for Archie. It appears that Jon’s nephew Joey (son of former Bengal assistant and current Redskins head coach Jay) may have been added to the UD practice squad. The Googles tell us that Joey attended Cincinnati Sycamore HS last year and was considering Dayton, but as a walk-on for the football team. With a rash of injuries to an already depleted squad, the coaching staff needs bodies.

-- Regular viewer of Las Vegas-based “reality” shows like Pawn Stars, American Restoration and Counting Cars and Rick, Rick and Danny all seem like regular dudes. Having said that, NFW will I go visit their shops while here. Can you imagine how many goobers show up unannounced at their respective doors every day?

-- Wonder if the bookies here have established the odds for various teams to win the NCAA Men’s Basketball Championship next spring? Not a gambling man but it will be interesting to see what line UD goes off at, no?

-- Would love to have the chance to spend fifteen minutes with Kendall Pollard at a Flyer practice sometime. In watching a brief video from one of their recent sessions, he is still shooting his jumpshot (and presumably his FTs as well) from way behind his head. Doing so contributes to the inaccuracy of his shot, not to mention it will allow a defender extra time to block it. KP needs to keep the ball in front of him and stroke it in one fluid motion. There are just too many moving parts to his shot as it is currently configured, much more so than even Devin Oliver. Kendall needs to watch Jordan Sibert launch a few threes and do likewise.

-- One of life’s little quandaries: if you are remodeling your bathroom, should you bother to clean it before the contractor comes to demolish it? And if not, how long do you let it go?

-- Nice to see that Don Donoher’s players held a 25th reunion recently with their former coach. (Presumably, it was for the 25th anniversary of DD’s “retirement” from UD, right?) Ironically, Coach Donoher also served as Flyer mentor for a quarter of a century, taking over for Tom Blackburn in 1964.

-- How are all you Bengal fans liking Tom Brady now?

-- Had the opportunity a few weeks ago to get a pair of free tickets to one of two upcoming Pistons pre-season games: Chris Wright and the Milwaukee Bucks on October 9th or some meaningless game on the 23rd. Knew that I would still be in Vegas on the 9th so went with the latter. Good thing, too: CW won’t be with the Bucks. Meanwhile, turns out the tilt on the 23rd is with the Philadelphia 76ers, which is obviously where fellow Flyer Chris Johnson landed after being jettisoned by the Celtics. That works!

-- Margarinalization: The act of being fooled into thinking that “I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter” is.

-- UD is getting lots of positive media support from writers at ESPN, CBS Sports and elsewhere to have Dayton continue as the site for the First Four. The video that the U produced is a powerfully persuasive argument for the NCAA to do so. The other site being considered? Sioux Falls, SD. Really?

-- Are traffic roundabouts a national phenomenon or is it just a local thing in Michigan? Grew up with (and hated) rotaries in Boston and now they have followed me westward. Ironically, the intersections where they have been installed have seen a dramatic increase in the very traffic accidents (granted, mostly fender-benders) that they were intended to eliminate.

-- Been called a lot of things when playing pickup basketball, but never this: a young guy who served in the Armed Forces told me that I looked like a Marine Colonel. Musta been the haircut.

That’s it “From the Swamp.”
You can email me at: swampy@udpride.com
Article Tools
Comment

Article Tools