UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 12-09-2018, 10:34 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 2,377 Times in 809 Posts
The Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond repute
A little perspectve

I’m not happy the Flyers lost yesterday, and particularly with the way they wilted under pressure at the start of the Auburn game. The turnovers — many forced, some not — made us look like scared rabbits. But they did regain their composure, played with resolve, made Auburn weather a couple of impressive second-half runs, and played to a somewhat respectable score on the road to the No. 8 team in the nation.

Look, Virginia, Oklahoma, Mississippi State and Auburn are a combined 32-3. THIRTY-TWO AND THREE. Three of those teams are ranked, and the forth may be soon. We were competitive in — even had a chance to win — three of those games. This from a team with a second-year coach, starting three players he didn’t recruit, with only eight healthy scholarship players, who was picked to finish sixth or worse in a league that is woeful this year.

I mean, I’m not sure what some of you expected, but this is huge progress in my book. We have a sophomore backcourt, a freshman stud big and we’re competing with some of the best teams in the nation. Is the sky really falling?

I’m disappointed in our missed opportunities, but who pre-season even thought they WERE opportunities?

I’m not throwing in the towel. We have another tough game in Tulsa but ought to finish 9-4 or 8-5 in the non-conference. THAT is what most knowledgeable fans would have expected. And by then, we’ll enter A-10 play as a tough out for anyone.

As for Grant ... well, I think he’s building something. He still perplexes me at times (why didn’t we spend our fouls earlier yesterday?) and delights me other times (we actually switch up our defenses from time to time, to good effect). But his recruiting is undeniably good, he has his players’ attention, and he’s built an “us” over “me” culture. He’s earned another year or two of patience.

In my book, this has been a fun season to date. Barring further injury, it may even turn into the kind of year where even skeptics admit we’re ahead of schedule.

Last edited by The Fly; 12-09-2018 at 10:37 AM..
36 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to The Fly For This Totally Excellent Post:
AlumUD (12-10-2018), Bat'71 (12-09-2018), BeckysTXA (12-09-2018), Buster Goode (12-10-2018), ChampCar (12-10-2018), Chris R (12-09-2018), Cityengr (12-09-2018), CJ2etc (12-09-2018), ClaytonFlyerFan (12-09-2018), CT Flyer (12-10-2018), DJ '96 (12-10-2018), Fairborn Fan (12-09-2018), Flyer 79 (12-09-2018), Flyer Dave (12-09-2018), fuz_forward (12-10-2018), GoFlyer (12-09-2018), IAFlyer (12-11-2018), Kansas City Flyer 99 (12-10-2018), Larymike (12-10-2018), longtimefan (12-09-2018), MNFats (12-10-2018), Muckem333 (12-09-2018), NYCFLYER (12-09-2018), PalmBeachFlyer (12-09-2018), Radar (12-09-2018), ruechalgrin (12-11-2018), Runnin' Rebel (12-09-2018), SeasonTicketFan (12-09-2018), sheg (12-09-2018), tirebiter (12-09-2018), TommyGola (12-09-2018), UD90 (12-09-2018), udflyerfan (12-09-2018), UDGutter2 (12-09-2018), upperarlingtonflyer (12-09-2018), Viperstick (12-09-2018)
Advertisement
Old 12-09-2018, 10:58 AM

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
The Butler win has been the highlight of the season. The dunk fest and demolishing of Detroit was fun.

In the past, UD has played a lot of poor games against top 25 teams. I am disappointed in the four losses, but happy to see the team at least competitive. In all four games, you felt there was at least a chance to win.

The defense is much improved. It was painful to watch the defense last year.

The surprise player has been Toppin. He can get a lot better.

Last edited by SeasonTicketFan; 12-09-2018 at 11:57 AM..
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (12-09-2018), Flyer 86 (12-09-2018), ruechalgrin (12-11-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 11:15 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,086 Times in 640 Posts
steverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond repute
I dont like the way they ended the first half, down by 19 at halftime... but, I did like the way they cut that lead in the 2nd half from 19 to six... but Auburn was too much... this is one tough non conference schedule for us and should do well to prepare us for the Atlantic 10
Old 12-09-2018, 11:43 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,282 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Although this year's OOC is tough, wait til next year, although we will be at full strength and should be able to compete.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:47 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,461 Times in 612 Posts
UD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond repute
Finish 9-4 in non-conference. Win 12-14 in this depleted A10 and see what happens in March.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:28 PM

Thanked 10,124 Times in 5,860 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UD62 View Post
Although this year's OOC is tough, wait til next year, although we will be at full strength and should be able to compete.
We have the one tourney, but who else do we play next year?
Old 12-09-2018, 12:38 PM
1st Lieutenant

TheSixthMan is a name known to allTheSixthMan is a name known to allTheSixthMan is a name known to allTheSixthMan is a name known to allTheSixthMan is a name known to allTheSixthMan is a name known to all
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
We have the one tourney, but who else do we play next year?
Colorado in Chicago
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to TheSixthMan For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 02:59 PM

Thanked 17,094 Times in 5,099 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
One thing I have been happy to see from Grant is the willingness to be flexible. If you rewind all four losses + the win over Butler, Grant had the willingness to go to zone when man-to-man was getting torched. Oklahoma in particular torched our man. But zone in all of those games proved to be our best defense. Again last night vs Auburn, man-to-man was getting lit up. Grant went to zone and we clawed back in the game.

We never saw this from Archie. Archie was a great defensive coach, but if man-to-man was getting torched (and at times it did like every defense) there was absolutely no way he was ever going to try a zone. Not happening. Of the times I can think of Archie playing zone it was never two possessions in a row. Maybe once every 2-3 games he would go zone out of a timeout. That was it. If man was getting shredded, his message was "well just play man to man better".

Sometimes thats just never going to work. Whether Grant is making this adjustment himself or Donnie Jones et al are suggesting it to him, it tells me he's either seeing what we see (something not working and changing it), or is willing to take the advice of his assistants and not just be a "yes" person.

We have vastly inferior talent to Virginia, Oklahoma, Miss. State, and Auburn. Their guards are all better and their bigs are all better. All four can EASILY make the second weekend of the NCAAs -- at least two are Final Four favorites. Who knows what the upside of Oklahoma and Miss State are, but the Sooners look like the real deal.

Somehow we kept all four games quite competitive -- under 10pts with 6-7 minutes to go. In at least two of them we had the lead in the 2nd half. These are not just teams "better" than us. They are "way better".

We have basically 7 guys we can play - I cant think of a single guy on our roster that would start for the teams we lost to. They might get some PT, but start? Doubtful. These are elite teams with elite guards a bigs.

Not that I endorse everything Grant does, but so far I have seen some pretty good coaching. We should have gotten pasted by 25 by at least two of these opponents. Some of the turnovers are inexplicable, and some of our man-to-man is at times incorrigible, but Jordan Sibert and Kyle Davis aint out there.

If you look at our offensive efficiency, its pretty darn good which is even more impressive against the defenses we faced. We shot almost 50% against Auburn! Ball security was our downfall. Some of that is coaching perhaps, but some of that is also roster limitations.

Not ready to anoint Grant to sainthood just yet. But nowhere near ready to throw him into the cauldron of fire either. So far we havent lost any games due to poor coaching. But we did win one because of excellent coaching -- Butler. He flat out abused LaVall Jordan in that game -- Butler wasn't prepared.

I like a coach that understands the definition of insanity and is willing to try something else. Had we stayed in man against Auburn the final spread may have been 40. Because he was willing to accept his team's weakness and go in another direction, we got it to 6pts in the second half.

There are some minor quibbles with not giving fouls late against Auburn, etc, but these are minor. Fouling 88% foul shooters from one of the top 3 backcourts in the country isnt much of a solution either.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
12 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Alberto Strasse (12-09-2018), BeckysTXA (12-09-2018), CJ2etc (12-09-2018), CvilleFlyer (12-09-2018), Graphicsguy (12-09-2018), JimBo (12-10-2018), lhsgolf19 (12-09-2018), Lowd&ProUD (12-12-2018), ruechalgrin (12-11-2018), SeasonTicketFan (12-09-2018), The Fly (12-09-2018), Viperstick (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 03:00 PM

Thanked 6,617 Times in 3,024 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UD62 View Post

Do you know something about the schedule we don't know? We know we have an exempt tournament which won't be as tough as this year, Colorado, and probably a Mountain West team. I don't see how next season's schedule could be as tough as this season.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (12-09-2018), UACFlyer (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 03:17 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,748 Times in 790 Posts
Marysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Maui field appears very comparable to this year’s to me.
Mad Props to Marysville Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
ruechalgrin (12-11-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 04:21 PM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
At the 10 minute mark we were down 9-19 and looked like the Washington Generals. The game finished 72-82 so we basically played them even the last 30 minutes. Now, that's a little bit of fools gold because on occasion they turned us into a their highlight reel. And those two guards were on overdrive. But we never quit, and the same effort would beat two-thirds of the A10. Some of the too many turnovers were due to their quick hands. Some were gifts to them.

I can't help but think that after starting the season against all these ranked teams, the A10 will be a bit more friendly. And we have some games left in ooc that will help our confidence.

Obi showed he can play against that caliber of opponent and excel at it. Not bad for a Freshman.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lowd&ProUD (12-12-2018), tirebiter (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 05:00 PM
Colonel

tirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond repute
Very disappointed in the way we looked in the 1st half. Passes to nowhere, dribble off the foot, lazy passes, sloppy execution, confused, deer in headlights. We were heading for a 98-57 beat down.

But then in the 2nd half we woke up. Outscored Auburn by 9 (40-31) and got more into a groove. Now I'm sure Auburn coasted a bit with a big lead, but that 2nd half restored my faith.

I'm betting that we look back at that 2nd half as a turning point - a growing up. And I'm still expecting a long string of wins from this point on. Starting with Tulsa. The Flyers are tougher now after this game.

Just everybody stay healthy!
Mad Props to tirebiter For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 08:41 PM
General

Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,372 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Similar to my post after the Miss St game, there's nobody here who is worthy of being thrown under the bus. Grant and staff doing good work. Young talent playing with heart. No player is a wasted scholarship and looks out of his league. Bigs doing what they can with what they've got. Generally have played relatively smart basketball (it's never perfect).

The fact that they're tantalizing you with almost-wins says more about how far ahead expectations they are than it does about them not being any good.
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (12-09-2018), IAFlyer (12-11-2018), ruechalgrin (12-11-2018), San Diego Flyer (12-10-2018), sheg (12-09-2018), UD62 (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 08:46 PM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by steverino015 View Post
I dont like the way they ended the first half, down by 19 at halftime... but, I did like the way they cut that lead in the 2nd half from 19 to six... but Auburn was too much... this is one tough non conference schedule for us and should do well to prepare us for the Atlantic 10
I agree with the original post. But this is worth noting. The team has consistently had issues int he last 5 minutes of each half. Focus efforts in the phase of the game will go a long way.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Jeff For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-09-2018), tirebiter (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 09:19 PM
Colonel

Buckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud of
The Auburn bigs did not beat us. The Auburn guards beat our two sophomore guards who played a lot of minutes last year plus our one freshman guard. So, it wasn’t that we were mis-matched or over-matched; just out played at the skill positions. Our three guards still have some learning to do.
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Buckleyma For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-09-2018), Justin (12-10-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 10:37 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,763 Times in 928 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
I cant think of a single guy on our roster that would start for the teams we lost to. They might get some PT, but start? Doubtful.
I don't think there are a ton of teams out there that wouldn't start a RS SR Cunningham. His had a bit of a rough start, but on paper he'd start on the vast majority of D1 teams, including some of the good teams we've played this year.

Toughest non-con in my relatively short fandom ('09 grad). We always have a really tough one (thanks Neil), but when you win that first game of a holiday tourney your schedule can get a massive bump. Btw, the schedule isn't getting any easier. Tulsa will be a load and Ga. Southern will be very tough.

Again, only the Miss. St. game really bothered me because we were at home and just wilted. We really needed that win, like really. 9-4 against a top-25 non-con isn't too shabby, but we have a long way to go.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to hawkoooo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Buster Goode (12-10-2018), CT Flyer (12-10-2018), Flyer 86 (12-09-2018), Gazoo (12-10-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 11:22 PM
General

Thanked 1,266 Times in 784 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Buckleyma View Post
The Auburn bigs did not beat us. The Auburn guards beat our two sophomore guards who played a lot of minutes last year plus our one freshman guard. So, it wasn’t that we were mis-matched or over-matched; just out played at the skill positions. Our three guards still have some learning to do.
Posted via Mobile Device
THIS. THOSE guards KILLED AND SHELLACKED US. end of story. I finally also got a good look at Crutch and Davis this year. Jordan played okay. Obi was dynamic the last ten minutes.

Crutch and others way too unsure. Fir those of you who said Jalen is like Scoochie 2.0.... he does things to fill a stat box sure. But Scooch won us games. By either a key outside dagger, or a key drive.

Or he created consistently and moved the ball to Siebert, Pierre or the other Chicago big. He Made Ws happen!

Jalen is def not there.

Last edited by Flyer 86; 12-09-2018 at 11:24 PM..
Old 12-09-2018, 11:23 PM
General

Thanked 1,266 Times in 784 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
POLLARD, that is
Old 12-10-2018, 12:31 AM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
No doubt I think most people are happy with how well the team competed against 2 potential P5 conference champs and 2 other NCAA teams. Saturday Oklahoma ran a rebuilding Wichita St team out of the gym

I think the sense of frustration is even if this team wins 13-14 games in A10 play that some second half offense droughts against Oklahoma and Mississippi St could be the difference between the NIT and a tourney bid. Getting back to the tourney sooner rather than later keeps the momentum Archie built going and opens up doors in recruiting/scheduling.

UD isn’t as talented as Oklahoma, Sip St, Virginia but it could have won those games

This isn’t a knock on Cohill or Jordan Davis but I’m impressed the team is where it’s with they’re doing on the offensive end right now. I thought Jordan was going to be the 2nd best player going into the season. Without Baby D monopolizing the ball this year I thought he was going to move into his own. Watching him last year he really good shot (better looking than Crutcher), nice midrange game and had some ability to attack the basket. Cohill I thought was going to be able to hit the ground running more than he has this so far offensively

Agree with Chris R and others about mixing up the defense with zone. I think especially important in coference play
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-10-2018, 02:26 AM

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
This season will hopefully shake up fine when it is all said and done. The schedule would have been tough even with some of the really good teams from the past few years. It is what it is.

Once again, it all boils down to A10 play. At this point in time, no one in March will say that we have a bad loss. If we hold serve and win the games we should, the season will be looked upon as being a decent one. I am not stating that this team is NCAA material, because I don't think we have the depth to be...but it isn't unrealistic to think that it may happen. These guys are playing really good teams fairly tough.

Last year the A10 was down and it is under performing this year. If UD doesn't take advantage of the conference in a down year, shame on them. They have to take care of business in 2019.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Buster Goode (12-10-2018), Gazoo (12-10-2018), redbengal (12-12-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 08:05 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,608 Times in 694 Posts
Monster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond repute
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-10-2018, 08:21 AM
General

Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,372 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post
This season will hopefully shake up fine when it is all said and done. The schedule would have been tough even with some of the really good teams from the past few years. It is what it is.

Once again, it all boils down to A10 play. At this point in time, no one in March will say that we have a bad loss. If we hold serve and win the games we should, the season will be looked upon as being a decent one. I am not stating that this team is NCAA material, because I don't think we have the depth to be...but it isn't unrealistic to think that it may happen. These guys are playing really good teams fairly tough.

Last year the A10 was down and it is under performing this year. If UD doesn't take advantage of the conference in a down year, shame on them. They have to take care of business in 2019.

I always say to give teams that didn't play all those P5 schools a chance, we already know how good the 0.500 team from the B10 or ACC is. But this year I can't complain about it if we're left out. We had a chance. Even if we win 13 games in the A10 and claim "we're better at the end of the season than the beginning" we have to understand we had our chance.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
shocka43 (12-10-2018), UDGutter2 (12-10-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 08:29 AM

Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting that we're shooting 50% from the floor and allowing 41% defensively. Those numbers are better than the Elite 8 squad. There's a bit more to both sides of the ball than that and efficiency wise we're not quite there with the 2014 team, but we've also played an extremely tough schedule so far this year.

Three of the losses are to Top-25 RPI teams. The fourth loss is to 8-1 nationally ranked Miss. State. In six seasons, Archie won a grand total of one Top-25 RPI non-con regular season game (Gonzaga in Maui) despite more talent.

Grant's teams tend to have some more spurtability than Archie's -- both offensively and defensively. We can get on runs and then allow teams to get on runs. The emotional roller coaster of that sometimes makes things feel better or worse than they really are.

Im making no endorsement or indictment of either Archie or Anthony -- just posting the data. Future performance of any team is always subject to change.

2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-11-2018), Flyer69ers (12-10-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 09:40 AM

San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Those two guards were like a pair of Chris Paul's. The fact that our guards are "only Sophomores" is not relevant. Davis and Crutcher have some upside but they are hardly Final Four material like Brown and Harper. We did as well as we could do given all the circumstances.

Look closely at our second half.

We owned the Tigers the second half, 40-31. We out-shot them. We out rebounded them.

Their guards were held to 6/17 shooting. We cut our turnovers to 7. They only shot two free throws the second half.

What made the second half ugly for us was their highlight reel of give-and-go and ally-oop dunks. The SEC Network announcers made it seem worse. Bruce Pearl was not happy about their second half in any way. He knew his team quietly got taken.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CvilleFlyer (12-10-2018), Flyer 86 (12-11-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 10:29 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
What made the second half ugly for us was their highlight reel of give-and-go and ally-oop dunks. The SEC Network announcers made it seem worse. Bruce Pearl was not happy about their second half in any way. He knew his team quietly got taken.
I had to hit the mute button. I could not take those announcers.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (12-10-2018), Sea Bass (12-10-2018), TerryK_67 (12-10-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 10:36 AM

Thanked 10,124 Times in 5,860 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
My favorite was when Landers was on a breakaway slam and the TV switches to a shot of Pearl before showing the end of the dunk. Seriously?
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Graphicsguy (12-10-2018), redbengal (12-12-2018), rollo (12-10-2018), San Diego Flyer (12-10-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 10:50 AM

Thanked 1,302 Times in 674 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
The only thing that matters is winning the A10. This team has proven they can play with just about anyone. Yes, we could have really helped ourselves with a couple more wins, but no one can take it away from us if we win the A10 tournament, regardless of OOC W/L.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TXFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (12-10-2018), m21eagle45 (12-10-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 11:44 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,008 Posts
Buster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
(why didn’t we spend our fouls earlier yesterday?)
I was yelling about this too. That's in excusable, however, I think that should fall on the assistants. I believe that is something they should be following and coaching the players on more.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:44 PM

Thanked 1,650 Times in 838 Posts
Canonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond repute
Don't know who coined the phrase but you are never as good or as bad as you think you are, which seems appropriate for this squad right now. Question is how does the coaching staff deal with the obvious short comings on the team so that come February and March they are competing for a league title. Moral victories (competing well) are nice I guess, but outside of the Butler win I'm not sure what the OC play tells a committee other than the Flyers weren't that competitive against the top 25 (0-3) and top 50 (1-4). Otherwise, IMO, the Flyers hopes for tournament play will hinge on finishing 1-3 in league play (3 may not be enough).

There are some nice pieces in place to be competitive in the A10 and I like the fight this team seems to have they just need to turn the corner a bit. 4-0 finish to OC play would be a good idea (when isn't it?)!
Old 12-10-2018, 01:03 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,043 Times in 451 Posts
Whacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond repute
I've been pleasantly surprised by the competitiveness in the non-conference. If they bring the same effort to the A10 slate AND apply some of the lessons learned in the tough losses, there is no reason they shouldn't win the league. I really want this year's squad to learn how to get conference road wins this year so they are loaded for bear next year.
Mad Props to Whacker For This Totally Excellent Post:
Wallage (12-10-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 01:28 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,316 Times in 1,328 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Hopefully what the OOC losses have done is teach this team what it takes to win games. It is true they are still losses and in reality do not help our resume in the eyes of the committee. But internally there is a lot to be gained as a team with the competitive losses which in turn will hopefully lead us to winning lots of games in the A10 and competing for both a regular season and tournament championship.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:41 PM
Colonel

312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
Those two guards were like a pair of Chris Paul's. The fact that our guards are "only Sophomores" is not relevant. Davis and Crutcher have some upside but they are hardly Final Four material like Brown and Harper. We did as well as we could do given all the circumstances.

Look closely at our second half.

We owned the Tigers the second half, 40-31. We out-shot them. We out rebounded them.

Their guards were held to 6/17 shooting. We cut our turnovers to 7. They only shot two free throws the second half.

We did not own them in the second half. They got bored/lost interest at times, and we kept hustling. We cut it down to six with 13 minutes left. They woke up and three + minutes later they were up 18 again (same lead as halftime). They could name the score that night.

That said, overall I'm ok with where the Flyers are at now based on the competition.

But hopefully we can all agree that there are no more "happy to come within 10 point" games on the schedule from here on out?
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to 312to937 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (12-10-2018), Flyer 86 (12-11-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 04:03 PM
Major

flybye is infamous around these parts
Great post. Boys didn't quit but Auburn relaxed as what happens with big leads many times. We are clearly competitive but cannot rely on hitting the on switch when we get to conference. We have to learn to play for 40 min with intensity and find a go to player or players at crunch time. Tulsa will be very similar to SLU in there approach, not great offense but long and very tough on D. Of the OCC Butler where we played 38 great min and Tulsa will be very close to the better A10 teams. VCU more like OU but not as talented at center. Teams have the film, they will cut off Jalen and make it tough for him, others have to step up and want and demand that ball. Too many times not looking to attack. I like the unselfishness but there comes times you have to take over and attack . Cohill had a very good first half and we need him to do more on offense. OBI simply needs more min and Josh more demanding of the ball. I would like to see Trey come in as the 6th man with a ton of energy, Archie did that with Vee, not an easy discussion but would help the team.
We have to find 4 road wins and protect home court with perhaps only 1 or 2 losses to get a bye. But no more moral victories.Need to beat Tulsa!
Old 12-10-2018, 04:19 PM
Lieutenant General

CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I love how when we are on the losing end the score only got close because the other team "relaxed". "got bored", "lost interest", "coasted a bit", etc. When we have a big lead and the other team makes a run at us its "the other team played better than us at the end", "we were lucky to hold on as we were outplayed", etc. Is it possible that for a few stretches in the game against Auburn we were just outplaying them? Granted in the big picture they outplayed us but I think at times we showed we could play with them, it wasn't just them laying down for us. If all the talk of the NET and trying to keep the score close is true then why wouldn't Auburn have completely buried us if they could do what they wanted with us so the NET was better for them?
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-11-2018), Gazoo (12-10-2018), IAFlyer (12-11-2018), Lifelong Flyer Fan (12-11-2018), San Diego Flyer (12-10-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 04:29 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
CT Flyer - Are you going to be at the game Sunday? If so, get us a win.
Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (12-11-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 05:08 PM
General

OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
Interesting that we're shooting 50% from the floor and allowing 41% defensively. Those numbers are better than the Elite 8 squad. There's a bit more to both sides of the ball than that and efficiency wise we're not quite there with the 2014 team, but we've also played an extremely tough schedule so far this year.

Three of the losses are to Top-25 RPI teams. The fourth loss is to 8-1 nationally ranked Miss. State. In six seasons, Archie won a grand total of one Top-25 RPI non-con regular season game (Gonzaga in Maui) despite more talent.

Grant's teams tend to have some more spurtability than Archie's -- both offensively and defensively. We can get on runs and then allow teams to get on runs. The emotional roller coaster of that sometimes makes things feel better or worse than they really are.

Im making no endorsement or indictment of either Archie or Anthony -- just posting the data. Future performance of any team is always subject to change.
I wonder how much the FG% comes from Cunningham, Obi and more shots closer the basket versus jump shooting
Old 12-10-2018, 06:42 PM
Major

Both happen... we played better in the second half and they let up. 4 loses in 5 games time to step up. Winnable game Sunday.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-10-2018, 06:48 PM

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
I had to hit the mute button. I could not take those announcers.
I did the same.
Mad Props to Sea Bass For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (12-10-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 08:58 PM

Off/Def FG% Margin Last 13yrs at UD:

18-19 +7.7%
17-18 +1.1%
16-17 +5.2%
15-16 +5.6%
14-15 +4.4%
13-14 +2.8%
12-13 +4.1%
11-12 -1.0%
10-11 -0.4%
09-10 +5.0%
08-09 +2.4%
07-08 +3.9%
06-07 +1.3%

Off/Def FG% Margin in A10 (SOS rank)

DAY +7.7% (2)
FOR +6.5% (14)
DAV +5.9% (11)
SLU +4.7% (5)
SBU +3.6% (13)
MAS +3.3% (10)
RIC +3.0% (12)
VCU +2.7% (1)
GMU +0.1% (9)
SJU -0.1% (4)
URI -0.4% (3)
DUQ -0.5% (6)
GWU -4.4% (8)
LAS -10.5% (7)

3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
ChrisInVenice (12-10-2018), San Diego Flyer (12-11-2018), wes (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 12:58 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
My favorite was when Landers was on a breakaway slam and the TV switches to a shot of Pearl before showing the end of the dunk. Seriously?
When that happened, I yelled “WHAT THE HE!! ARE YOU DOING?!?!” at the TV screen. Fortunately, they switched back in time to see the flush.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-11-2018, 09:17 AM

The SEC is very competitive in most sports, but...their fans and talking heads have a serious case of superiority complex to the point of being nauseous on occasion. The SEC Network feeds that hourly 24/7.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:28 AM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
CT Flyer - Are you going to be at the game Sunday? If so, get us a win.
I will be there and I have to say over the last few years we have done better in New England games then in the '00's and early 10's. I hope there are plenty of other UD alum in attendance too. I have heard from a few NY alum friends that will also be there. GO FLYERS!!!
Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 11:05 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,956 Times in 534 Posts
shapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 312to937 View Post
That said, overall I'm ok with where the Flyers are at now based on the competition.

But hopefully we can all agree that there are no more "happy to come within 10 point" games on the schedule from here on out?
According to Kenpom, UD will be a favorite in 12 of their next 13 games (+3 @VCU) and never more than a 4 point underdog in any game the rest of the season (@SLU & @Davidson).
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shapanud For This Totally Excellent Post:
312to937 (12-11-2018), IAFlyer (12-11-2018), rollo (12-11-2018), San Diego Flyer (12-11-2018), TA111 (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 11:28 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 312to937 View Post
We did not own them in the second half. They got bored/lost interest at times, and we kept hustling. We cut it down to six with 13 minutes left. They woke up and three + minutes later they were up 18 again (same lead as halftime). They could name the score that night.

So I guess most teams that get out-rebounded in a half/game are bored or just lost interest? What about 50/50 balls? I got news for you..Both of those stats are about effort, desire,energy and hustle..One team can certainly make the other team "look" that way but it's not the reason.

Does the team that holds another team to a very low FG % really deserve the credit or did the opponent just shoot bad? Usually a combination of both as the defensive team gets credit for great D and the offensive team just shot poorly..
Mad Props to steve For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 01:21 PM
Major

We are a strong team. Our first 7 as good as anyone in the A10, we should win in Brooklyn with this group. We should not as a top program take any solace in a 10 pt loss and 4 losses in 5 games. NO doubt they are together and tougher, now the staff and the team need to beat Tulsa and use that as a turning point. Crutcher, warrior, good on offense, Played a poor game and needs to work on his defense all the time. But a dangerous weapon. JD, needs to be more consistent, shoot the 3 better. Love his defense and getting to the basket this year. Trey, slow start, rebounding well , but also needs to shore up his D. Josh, can be so good, need his motor for the whole time he is in. But showed us vs better athletes at Auburn, he can shove them around. Would like to see more of that emphatic dunk we saw in second half. OBI, more min...play him more. Dwayne, love this kid needs to attack and gain confidence on Offense. We need points out of him. Ryan, keep doing what he he is doing!!! Frankie....Give me one 3 a game and hold your own on D when in there. Gonna win in Brooklyn!!! Need everyone to find a way to get there and support the boys!!!
Old 12-11-2018, 02:44 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,858 Times in 719 Posts
sheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think a team that goes 7.5 deep (hopefully 8 deep in the near future) is going to win three games in three days in Brooklyn (and especially not four in four). UD's path to the NCAA this year will require 24 or maybe even 25 wins:

9-4 non-con (tough order with Tulsa and Georgia Southern ahead)

13-5 conference (with only acceptable losses)

2-1 conference tournament

That's a tall order, and there is zero room for personnel issues. Can they do it? Yes. Will they? It's in the realm of possibilities. But a lot of things will need to go right and maybe a player or two needs to elevate their game. JD4, Cohill, and Landers all have room to step up their offensive games IMO.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to sheg For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (12-11-2018), Figgie123 (12-11-2018), jack72 (12-12-2018), OSU Flyer (12-11-2018), San Diego Flyer (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 03:32 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,690 Times in 2,510 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
As I’ve said for many years now-it’s a marathon, not a sprint. I remember back in 2014 when the elite 8 team lost 4 of its first 5 conference games, many here were barking for Archie’s firing. Many things can, and often do, change the trajectory of a season. With that being said, this seems to be a tough minded team. The key will be for them to stay healthy, and Cohill and Frankie to provide solid minutes off the bench.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:44 PM
General

Originally Posted by sheg View Post
I don't think a team that goes 7.5 deep (hopefully 8 deep in the near future) is going to win three games in three days in Brooklyn (and especially not four in four). UD's path to the NCAA this year will require 24 or maybe even 25 wins:

9-4 non-con (tough order with Tulsa and Georgia Southern ahead)

13-5 conference (with only acceptable losses)

2-1 conference tournament

That's a tall order, and there is zero room for personnel issues. Can they do it? Yes. Will they? It's in the realm of possibilities. But a lot of things will need to go right and maybe a player or two needs to elevate their game. JD4, Cohill, and Landers all have room to step up their offensive games IMO.
Gonna need a good draw in the A10 tourney to pull it off
Old 12-11-2018, 03:52 PM
Major

Good draw has a lot to do with regular season. Get the right seed and be healthy...Hell Davidson only used 7 guys and won last year as a lowere seed and beat The number one.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to flybye For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (12-12-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 03:55 PM
General

With Matos down, Cohill needs to be able to play a lot of minutes off the bench since he's it for guard/wing players on the bench
Old 12-11-2018, 07:45 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,761 Times in 1,129 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
With Matos down, Cohill needs to be able to play a lot of minutes off the bench since he's it for guard/wing players on the bench
I think Cohill is going to have a breakout game very soon. His confidence is rising. The talent is there.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to springborofan For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (12-12-2018), OSU Flyer (12-11-2018), San Diego Flyer (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 09:27 PM
General

Originally Posted by springborofan View Post
I think Cohill is going to have a breakout game very soon. His confidence is rising. The talent is there.
yep, absolutely agree. I think in one of the buy games against Western Michigan, Presbyterian or Georgia Southern he gets going and turns a corner

He's one of the big keys in my book for the rest of the season. The opportunity is there for him to be a contributor