UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 01-13-2019, 05:49 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 1,302 Times in 674 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
UMass observations

A few observations

1. 3 ball was there today. If Josh is hitting one, that's a good sign. Davis and Crutcher did not disappoint
2. Pipkins can score. We couldn't stop him in the 1st half. Did a better job in the second half
3. Holloway is a mountain. Good thing he likes to dribble and pass. If he just turned and shot, he'd get fouled a lot and probably scores more
4. Mikesell has zero confidence in his shot right now. His only good play as a backdoor cut
5. Cohill may have an outside shot, but it isn't from deep in the corner. He looks like his form is a little off.
6. Game was closer than it should have been given how well we shot the ball.
7. Josh was a monster to start the game.
8. Why didn't the refs review the elbow to Josh's face?
9. Why didn't the Flyers get the ball to Toppin low when Pipkens was on him one possession.
10. Where was Toppin for most of the game? He did a few things well, but seemed to play too far outside.
11. We set really high screens today, which makes it harder to pick and roll
12. Good win overall. 3-0 to start conference play is great.
Mad Props to TXFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
SeasonTicketFan (01-13-2019)
Advertisement
Old 01-13-2019, 06:52 PM
Major

66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of
Very glad we won, but, Lord in Heaven, we should have wiped up the floor with these jokers and blown them back to Amherst. During the last time out I had to sit down and blow into my hands to relieve my hyperventilation. Yikes! I've barely recovered from Weds.
What is the deal with lack of rebounding? Why do they never follow their shots or at least leave one player to go up for the ball? Drives me nuts!
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to 66flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CvilleFlyer (01-13-2019), jack72 (01-13-2019), UACFlyer (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 07:09 PM

Thanked 10,133 Times in 5,867 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 66flyer View Post
Very glad we won, but, Lord in Heaven, we should have wiped up the floor with these jokers and blown them back to Amherst. During the last time out I had to sit down and blow into my hands to relieve my hyperventilation. Yikes! I've barely recovered from Weds.
What is the deal with lack of rebounding? Why do they never follow their shots or at least leave one player to go up for the ball? Drives me nuts!
Amen, amen. Getting beat on the boards by 11, and offensive rebounds by 5 just about gave this game away. Major failures by Cunningham, Toppin, Mikesell and Landers.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
66flyer (01-13-2019), CvilleFlyer (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 07:14 PM

Thanked 2,378 Times in 810 Posts
The Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond repute
UMass isn’t going to strike fear into anyone, but they’re marginally better than their record. Five of their nine losses are by five points or less, and they have some decent players, particularly Pipkins. They had Saint Louis beat on the road and imploded in the last minute. If Holloway didn’t have to suck oxygen every three minutes, they could cause some teams fits. I’d have taken a one-point win and been happy given the way they always play us.

I thought AG coached circles around McCall. McCall’s substitution patterns were odd, and he backed off that zone a little too quickly. It was giving us trouble. AG, I thought, made great use of his timeouts, and he told his players to foul with the game on the line, knowing we had some to spend. I think that last foul disrupted whatever UMass hoped to run, and Pipkins had to settle for that long missed three.

So no, this wasn’t the best team we’ll see this year, but I’m happy we were able to finish this with a W. Our pathetic work on the boards, though, is a legitimate gripe.

I’m also happy with our sophomore backcourt. Davis is now back up over 35% from three, and Crutcher — after two straight goose eggs from three — is back over 41%. And Josh? Shooting 50% percent from downtown, but don’t let it go to your head big fella.

Last edited by The Fly; 01-13-2019 at 07:18 PM..
Mad Props to The Fly For This Totally Excellent Post:
JimBo (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 07:23 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,858 Times in 719 Posts
sheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond repute
When you play seven deep, you maybe shouldn't crash the boards as hard. It was partially because of that that we had two fouls to give in the last 13 seconds. That was big in a game that we knew would likely come down to the last possession.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to sheg For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (01-13-2019), redbengal (01-13-2019), runnerup (01-13-2019), San Diego Flyer (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 07:37 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
With respect to 10 above, I believe Toppin played like a freshman today and did against GW too. He needs to play with a little more poise and composure. I also thin UMass is better than their record indicates.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-13-2019), mikeymo85 (01-14-2019), SeasonTicketFan (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 07:42 PM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
I also thin UMass is better than their record indicates.
Watched them play SLU the other day. That game was nearly the same, they made a run, but couldn't get it done in the last 3-4 minutes. They may be better, but haven't figured it out.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:22 PM

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
What a difference a year makes?

Last year's loss to UMass at UD Arena was ugly. UD did not play a perfect game, but played to win and made plays down the stretch. They were not doing that last year. UMass had our number last year.

I was worried about 3 point shooting going into A10 play. Jordan Davis shot very well the last two games and helped open the game up early. He had a great first half! He and Jalen opened up the offense with their threes. Hard to defend if those two are hitting threes.

Jordan also did a good job on Pipkins. Pipkins made some baskets when Jordan was switched off via a pick. Pipkins might the best shooting guard in the A10. He can stroke the 3 ball.

I wish free throw shooting was better. Jalen has improved his late game free throw shooting and his 3 pointer with a minute left , basically changed the game and help win it.

Toppin showed some freshman moments again. He will have up and down games. This was a down game.

I was disappointed with rebounding. UMass is athletic, but not enough to get so many rebounds.

I like Anthony's substitution and use of timeout so much better this year. His mixing of defenses can set teams off balance. Smart play to use one of the fouls with 10 seconds left.

Not a pretty win, but in the A10, many are not. Still a win, where last year it was a loss!
Old 01-13-2019, 08:25 PM
Academy Doolie

UD Rugby will become famous soon enoughUD Rugby will become famous soon enough
Anyone else notice in the first half when the Flyers scored and the UMass player rolled it to his teammate to inbound, then the player just picked it up and started dribbling? Refs completely missed that call. That should've been a violation along with quite a few other obvious missed calls throughout the night..
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to UD Rugby For This Totally Excellent Post:
mikeymo85 (01-14-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 08:35 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,223 Times in 585 Posts
CvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
A-10 teams are going to play zone on us so we better learn from todays game. Everytime Obi and Josh handled the ball at the top of the key it seemed a turnover ensued. They need to stay underneath and let Jalen, Jordan and Ryan handle the ball and do the dribbling. When Obi gets the ball he often thinks he can drive clear to the basket and he must realize he is not a point guard and leave the driving to the guards. Often he is out of control and can't make up his mind if he wants to pull up and shoot a short jumper or try to penetrate clear to the basket and both decisions have recently led to missed shots!

I know Josh made 2 open 3 pointers early in the game which was ok because he didn't put the ball on the floor first! Obi is a good passer and he should look for the open man more when he gets the ball on offense. When he gets it down low he should go hard to the basket to try and draw a foul or pass it back out to a teammate for an open three.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:43 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UD Rugby View Post
Anyone else notice in the first half when the Flyers scored and the UMass player rolled it to his teammate to inbound, then the player just picked it up and started dribbling? Refs completely missed that call. That should've been a violation along with quite a few other obvious missed calls throughout the night..
Posted via Mobile Device
About 3,000 people at The Arena noticed it, as there was a fair deal of commotion after that play. There was also a lot of booing after Obi took a shot to the head during a scrum for a loose ball. Stripes seemed to tighten-up on the whistles a bit after that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-13-2019, 08:46 PM

SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
and Joey Gruden was at the game!
Old 01-13-2019, 09:22 PM
General

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
Posted via Mobile Device
They also missed a clear traveling call. Then the ball was kicked out for a three in the left corner that tied the game.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:57 PM
1st Lieutenant

Wallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant future
I thought Umass is quite a bit better than their record. They are very physical. Pipkins is an offensive stud. Holloway isn't great but he's just so big and we have no one close to his size (and no one to go to off the bench if we get in foul trouble). He's got 100lbs on Josh. Bad matchup, You just have to focus on him a lot which open up other things. Pierre is a good shooter.

Sure we could have played better but a win is a win.

Obi has become a focus for defenses. He will need to adjust a bit. He's a freshman, he will be fine.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:00 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
Posted via Mobile Device
I yelled out about it, but in the 400's no one can hear you scream.
8 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to priceg75 For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (01-14-2019), Gazoo (01-14-2019), MikeFlyer (01-14-2019), SeasonTicketFan (01-13-2019), superfan99 (01-14-2019), The Fly (01-13-2019), TheDuke2003 (01-14-2019), UD Rugby (01-15-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 10:43 PM

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TXFlyerFan View Post
9. Why didn't the Flyers get the ball to Toppin low when Pipkens was on him one possession.
10. Where was Toppin for most of the game? He did a few things well, but seemed to play too far outside.
11. We set really high screens today, which makes it harder to pick and roll
There were a handful of misses today on mismatches. The reason for pretty much all three of the above were because of the ball pressure that UMass was putting on our backcourt.

The ball pressure prevents any easy passes to guys like Obi in the paint. The assists came off of good P&R action to Cunningham or simply getting penetration.

The high screens were because UMass forced the offense to run further from the basket.

UMass was physical and set the tone. UD answered, but the gameplan from UMass was pretty simple...
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CvilleFlyer (01-14-2019), jack72 (01-14-2019), SeasonTicketFan (01-13-2019), TXFlyerFan (01-14-2019), wes (01-14-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 11:01 PM

I thought UMass was physical, but too physical. They committed 8 more fouls than UD, but it felt like many more. The refs let them play. There were a lot of no calls on UD shots especially in the first half.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:13 PM
Colonel

TerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond repute
They were certainly the aggressor on defense and yet were not whistled for a foul until over 10 minutes were played...… absolutely mugged Jalen and Josh all night long......
Old 01-13-2019, 11:50 PM
Colonel

pmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond repute
Biggest observation for me is that we have a shooting guard again! It's fantastic to see JD shooting with confidence again.
Mad Props to pmcmullen For This Totally Excellent Post:
MikeFlyer (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 12:12 AM
General

TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by pmcmullen View Post
Biggest observation for me is that we have a shooting guard again! It's fantastic to see JD shooting with confidence again.
Yes it is! We would without question be 1-2 without him. I personally had lost faith in him as a player...how foolish of me.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:35 AM
Captain

Rick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud of
JDavis is merely regressing to the mean, people. Or is that progressing? Last year, he shot 40% from the arc, so it stood to reason that he'd eventually stop shooting 15%.

I'm just glad he's getting back to his "true self" now, and not waiting till next season (which is sort of what happened with DDavis a few years ago: 40% as a frosh, sub-30% as a soph, and back to 40% as a junior and senior)....

Speaking of "not waiting till next season": there's a lot of Scoochie in Jalen Crutcher, right down to the "starts stealing minutes at PG during his freshman year and is even starting by the end of it." But Scooch did not really develop any touch for the 3-pt shot until his junior season, as I recall.

Crutcher has total confidence in his long ball at this point, and rightly so. That actually puts him a year or so ahead of Scoochie in that department; if his swagger and leadership continue to develop, too, it's gonna be a fun next 2 years.

I do not want to be counting on the 3 point shot to win games going forward, but I will not turn up my nose at that being the mechanism by which we won this one. A 3-0 start to the conference season is always great, and seeing forward progress from individual players -- as well as in terms of the team mindset -- is even greater.
Mad Props to Rick Scaia For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 01:08 AM
General

Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,050 Posts
Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TXFlyerFan View Post
A few observations
. . .
6. Game was closer than it should have been given how well we shot the ball.
. . .

Free throw shooting and rebounding almost killed us.

BeckysTXA (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 01:34 AM
Colonel

tirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond repute
Seemed to me that Obi had several times where he passed out of the high post and then broke to the basket hoping for a return feed, and it never happened. I wish they could use Obi more efficiently on pick and rolls.

Meanwhile, Jordan Davis is stepping up big time!
Old 01-14-2019, 06:21 AM
Colonel

TerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Rick Scaia View Post
….
I do not want to be counting on the 3 point shot to win games going forward......
19 threes is way too many... you live by the trey (like we did yesterday), you can easily die by the trey. Sooner or later we will hit that dreaded cold streak and then we got nothing!
Old 01-14-2019, 06:41 AM
General of the Air Force

T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TerryK_67 View Post
They were certainly the aggressor on defense and yet were not whistled for a foul until over 10 minutes were played...… absolutely mugged Jalen and Josh all night long......
Yeah, the first half was absolutely ridiculous in that regard. #20 for UMass should have brought a saddle, with the way he was riding Jalen. Fortunately, the zebras started calling the game tighter in the second half, and I think AG used more on-ball picks and screens as the game went on, to help create space for ball handlers. I don’t think AG necessarily wanted to run ball screens that often, but if that’s the only way to create space for your guys, then you do what you have to do.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-14-2019, 06:58 AM
General of the Air Force

One last note, on officiating. One referee in particular seemed to be making more than his share of bad calls and no-calls in UMass’s favor in the first half. It urinated me off enough that I went to the game summary to see who officiated yesterday’s game, then Googled each name until I found the right guy. His name is Tony Chiazza, and I found him through his Twitter account, on which he seemed to be willing to stoke a feud with Chris Mullin of St. John’s.

I realize it’s a free country, but when a referee has a Twitter account and uses it to criticize college basketball coaches, that doesn’t really help foster an image of someone who can do his job in an unbiased way.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-14-2019, 07:03 AM
Captain

Don is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to behold
19 threes is way too many... you live by the trey (like we did yesterday), you can easily die by the trey. Sooner or later we will hit that dreaded cold streak and then we got nothing!
Dead-on! We WILL NOT shoot 58% (or whatever we shot) regularly. I expect we will see a regular diet of collapsing zones the rest of the way to (or at least try to) hold down Josh and Obi. It could be a roller-coaster season depending on if we're hot or not from outside. I sure would like us to have at least one more scoring threat on the floor and I'm becoming convinced Ryan is not, and may never be, such a threat. Neither yet is Dwayne or Frankie.

It's sweet when we shoot like today but could be pretty bitter if we only shoot 40% from outside and the Josh/Obi combo only scores 25.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:13 AM
General

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute

Huh??

Not only is that entirely routine for a college basketball team, it is almost dead on our average per game. 311 attempts in 16 games is 19.4375 per game.

And our opponents have taken 418, which is 26 per game, which you could argue is somewhat inflated by the fact that they're losing, so they'll shoot more 3's to try to catch up, but not 7 more.

Just scanning the top 3P% teams, almost no one is in the teens, they're in the 20's.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas.../stat/3-points

Sorting by 3PA: tied for #303 on the list is Dayton at 19, meaning almost every other team takes 20 or more per game.

But other than that, yeah, I agree with you.

Last edited by Gazoo; 01-14-2019 at 08:16 AM..
8 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (01-14-2019), flyer016 (01-14-2019), Glen Clark (01-14-2019), JimBo (01-14-2019), MikeFlyer (01-14-2019), Sarge (01-14-2019), SeasonTicketFan (01-14-2019), UDGutter2 (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 08:38 AM
General of the Air Force

CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
Huh??

Not only is that entirely routine for a college basketball team, it is almost dead on our average per game. 311 attempts in 16 games is 19.4375 per game.

And our opponents have taken 418, which is 26 per game, which you could argue is somewhat inflated by the fact that they're losing, so they'll shoot more 3's to try to catch up, but not 7 more.

Just scanning the top 3P% teams, almost no one is in the teens, they're in the 20's.

Sorting by 3PA: tied for #303 on the list is Dayton at 19, meaning almost every other team takes 20 or more per game.

Let me add, the other teams are going to play D and give up the 3 ball. Sometimes you have to take what's available. Make enough and you win.
Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 08:48 AM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,463 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 View Post
One last note, on officiating. One referee in particular seemed to be making more than his share of bad calls and no-calls in UMass’s favor in the first half. It urinated me off enough that I went to the game summary to see who officiated yesterday’s game, then Googled each name until I found the right guy. His name is Tony Chiazza, and I found him through his Twitter account, on which he seemed to be willing to stoke a feud with Chris Mullin of St. John’s.

I realize it’s a free country, but when a referee has a Twitter account and uses it to criticize college basketball coaches, that doesn’t really help foster an image of someone who can do his job in an unbiased way.
Posted via Mobile Device
This is almost unreal and then I remembered we live in a era where people post videos of themselves committing crimes, so I guess not so shocking. Stupid, but not shocking.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (01-14-2019), Justin (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 08:49 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
A Good Win On a Bad Day

Happy for the win but this effort will get UD blown out at VCU. They were out-rebounded and out hustled the entire second half. UD must understand they cannot put it on cruise control on the home floor. General Grant never once tried full court ball pressure with Holloway on the court to increase the pace and initiate a fast break tempo for the Flyers. We allowed the 6'10
400 lbs. behemoth to play at a snails pace and he almost beat us. UD was lucky to win so we'll take it and hope to get better soon. UD regressed from #68 to #70 on the Pomroy Index
following the UMASS game.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:00 AM
Captain

MikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to behold
Not that I care, but if I was Holloways coach, I would sit him til he lost 50-70 lbs. He could be a great player at the correct weight.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:03 AM
Captain

Justin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant future
Good game, tough win. Obi should have been pulled and evaluated after the hit to his head, disappointed he wasn't at least subbed out.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:04 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,145 Times in 598 Posts
bcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond repute

Posted via Mobile Device
Are you referring to Not Tony Chiazza? It's a parody account.

Last edited by bcross; 01-14-2019 at 09:10 AM..
Old 01-14-2019, 09:06 AM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alberto Strasse View Post
We allowed the 6'10 400 lbs. behemoth to play at a snails pace and he almost beat us.
Holloway played for 14 minutes, went 5-5 from the field, and fouled out. He was not a factor in this game. I expected more touches by Holloway, but he was almost always taken out after short bursts.
  • Started the game, taken out just before the first half 16 minute time out. Jumper and a block. UD was up 10-6. 4 minutes at -4
  • Entered at 11:07 first half, down 21-13, gets a jumper, a layup, 2 fouls (1 offensive/turnover) and is taken out at 08:50, 23-17. 2 minutes, +2. Done for the first half.
  • Starts second half down 38-33. Offensive foul at 17:44, and taken out down 43-38. 2+ minutes, +/-0.
  • Enters game at 08:27 down 61-55. Gets a layup, and sits down at 5:46, even at 63-63. 2.5 minutes, +6. (Crutcher misses layup, 2 Lander FTs, missed layup and jumper by Cunningham, missed 3 by Cohill, then UD timeout)
  • Reenters at 5:03, still tied at 63. Gets a defensive rebound, and a turnover, and is pulled at 3:26, down 65-63. 1.5 minutes, -2.
  • Enters at 1:52, down 67-65. Hits a jumper and is pulled at 1:10 even at 67. (Offense/Defense with Baptists, it seemed.) 42 seconds, +2.
  • Enters at 0:56, down 70-67. 2 fouls, fouling out at 0:01, down 72-67. 55 seconds. -2.

I don't see how Holloway, in those short spurts, had any effect on this game. Heck, for the Mikesell haters out there, they actually put Mikesell to guard Holloway instead of Toppin when Cunningham sat once.

Last edited by Figgie123; 01-14-2019 at 09:11 AM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (01-14-2019), Gazoo (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 09:25 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute

Posted via Mobile Device
This guy NEVER gives UD TBOTHD on any calls or even makes correct calls..I've seen at least 3 of his games and he's really clueless..
Old 01-14-2019, 09:29 AM
Major General

steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
And for you folks worried about Obi leaving after this year this past game should tell you all you need to know. He has ZERO low post game (not just this past game) and will be facing big guys (not necessarily 400 lbs.) but long guys even overseas....

Granted(no pun intended), AG is not utilizing him down on the blocks, but he has to slow down on the offensive end and try NOT to make every play a highlight reel...Obi is such a good passer that UD could get some nice looks with him passing the ball out of the low blocks if/when teams decide to try to double him...
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to steve For This Totally Excellent Post:
CvilleFlyer (01-14-2019), IAFlyer (01-14-2019), rollo (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 09:45 AM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
We shot 15% (3/20) and won by 24 against Richmond.

We shot 43% (10/23) and won by 6 against GW.

We shot 58% (11/19) and won by 5 against UMass.

Raise your hand if you would like to just shoot 6/15 (40%) every game.

Well, it doesn't work that way. The common denominator in those three games is 3 W's.
We found a way to win with all aspects of the game contributing in whatever way is necessary. You can say we will live and die with rebounding, foul shooting, defense, turnovers, et al., but in truth it's the sum of the parts that yields W's in the long run.
Our team is finding it's way to victories by compensating for deficiencies in some area by overachieving in others.

We are proving to be resilient regardless of having a bad night in one or two areas.

Here are a few examples of the good and bad:

Assists/gm = #21 in the nation.
FG% = #6 in the nation
TO/gm = #60 in the nation
Rebounds/gm = off the charts poor (but 3.2 better than our opponents)

Point here is that no two W's are earned the same way, and we seem to be figuring that out.
12 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (01-14-2019), CT Flyer (01-14-2019), CvilleFlyer (01-14-2019), Gazoo (01-14-2019), JimBo (01-14-2019), Larymike (01-14-2019), MikeFlyer (01-14-2019), Muckem333 (01-15-2019), rollo (01-14-2019), Runnin' Rebel (01-14-2019), The Fly (01-14-2019), UDGutter2 (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 09:48 AM
Captain

GoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
So once again, we do not hear from UDScott . . . maybe he is in the 400 level and can't be heard either. . . .the crowd is too loud when we win. . . .
Mad Props to GoFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 09:57 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute

Posted via Mobile Device
Agree!
Thank God Roger Ayers was part of this crew...very good official and provided much needed balance yesterday. UMass, to their credit, plays defense much like Huggs old UC teams. They're in your grill so much you can't possibly call everything. But the fact that we were in the bonus in the 2nd half before we committed our 2nd team foul was an indication we were getting our fair share of calls.
Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
IAFlyer (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 10:17 AM
Major

TheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to behold
A-10 Play so far

Richmond: 72-48
GW: 72-66
UMass: 72-67

If you want consistency, apparently 72 is the magic number.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TheDuke2003 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (01-14-2019), Figgie123 (01-14-2019), Gazoo (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 10:24 AM

Thanked 10,133 Times in 5,867 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
A few other points:

Pipkins was only 8-21 and 3-9 on threes. We (Davis) did a great job on him. He was tired at the end when he needed to be a factor.

Holloway was 5-5 on layups, but fouled out in 14 minutes of play. The guy is a bull in a china shop. Not sure why we did not pass over the top of him more, instead playing Obi outside the three point line, creating more pressure on our exterior players. I guess coach thought we needed to pull their big guys away from the basket to create easy cutting lanes, which never happened much, but did with Landers at the end when it counted.

Our free throw shooting at 67% was marginal and will cost us a game this year.

The way to beat a zone is not just three point shooting, it is much more, like passes to the high post and quick swings to the weak side, penetration and finding the soft spots in the zone after the defense has swung to the ball. We ran a clinic a few games ago against a bad zone without shooting a bunch of threes. Yesterday our zone offense was stagnant and confused, and had little penetration, or quick ball swings.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Alberto Strasse View Post
Happy for the win but this effort will get UD blown out at VCU. They were out-rebounded and out hustled the entire second half.
UD was out rebounded but not outhustled in my opinion. The offense went flat in the second half, but the defense stayed pretty constant. Umass hit some 3s early but then cooled off. They are among the best 3 point shooting teams in the league. Some of their 3s were impressive. Pipkins got points on mismatches. Mikesell and Toppin could not keep up with him.

I thought they played very hard in the second half especially the last 3 minutes. That has routinely been a problem the last two years.

UMass did a number on UD last year. They played an ugly physical brand of ball that kept them in the game. They were whistled 19 times but should have been whistled about 25 or more.

UDs thin bench contributes to team challenges at times, especially the ability to press and play physical.

I agree that this is a weak rebounding team that does not chase down rebound hard enough. The thin bench could contribute to that. When Archie had only 7 players they never attempted to offense rebound.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (01-14-2019), Glen Clark (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 10:33 AM
Major General

Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Agree!
Thank God Roger Ayers was part of this crew...very good official and provided much needed balance yesterday. UMass, to their credit, plays defense much like Huggs old UC teams. They're in your grill so much you can't possibly call everything. But the fact that we were in the bonus in the 2nd half before we committed our 2nd team foul was an indication we were getting our fair share of calls.
Yep, UMASS came out hard and physical to start that 2nd half especially and forced UD further back from the hoop than where they like to start their normal half-court. UD simply was not ready for this. I like Crutcher alot but, imo, he's not a true PG from the sense of being able to shake guys and get to the rack. Not many of those guys but we needed alot better dribble penetration to split the D in that 2nd half and we could have had some easy backdoor buckets and dunks. That high screen 23-25 feet from the hoop simply was NOT the answer.

Miksell got schooled badly defensively the times he had to guard anybody his size or smaller. He did a nice job when he doubled down to guard the post entry to their BIG and helped out nicely from the weakside as well as a few nice boards.

THANK GOD for a much-rejuvenated and confident Jordan Davis because even a very average JD yesterday and UD loses..The kid is moving very well, coming off screens for better looks, putting the ball on the floor and playing in-your-face D..

Last edited by steve; 01-14-2019 at 10:41 AM..
Old 01-14-2019, 10:40 AM
General

Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,050 Posts
Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tirebiter View Post
Seemed to me that Obi had several times where he passed out of the high post and then broke to the basket hoping for a return feed, and it never happened. I wish they could use Obi more efficiently on pick and rolls.

Meanwhile, Jordan Davis is stepping up big time!

Once, Obi got the ball on the low blocks and was immediately double-teamed. He hit Davis with a bullet pass for a wide open three. Nice!

Bob G (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 10:49 AM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Another nice feel-good moment was post-game when Massachusetts Coach McCall gave a nice embrace to Rodney Chatman, his former recruit at Chattanooga.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (01-14-2019), jack72 (01-14-2019), SeasonTicketFan (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 11:32 AM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,570 Times in 5,078 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Figgie123 View Post
Holloway played for 14 minutes, went 5-5 from the field, and fouled out. He was not a factor in this game. I expected more touches by Holloway, but he was almost always taken out after short bursts.
  • Started the game, taken out just before the first half 16 minute time out. Jumper and a block. UD was up 10-6. 4 minutes at -4
  • Entered at 11:07 first half, down 21-13, gets a jumper, a layup, 2 fouls (1 offensive/turnover) and is taken out at 08:50, 23-17. 2 minutes, +2. Done for the first half.
  • Starts second half down 38-33. Offensive foul at 17:44, and taken out down 43-38. 2+ minutes, +/-0.
  • Enters game at 08:27 down 61-55. Gets a layup, and sits down at 5:46, even at 63-63. 2.5 minutes, +6. (Crutcher misses layup, 2 Lander FTs, missed layup and jumper by Cunningham, missed 3 by Cohill, then UD timeout)
  • Reenters at 5:03, still tied at 63. Gets a defensive rebound, and a turnover, and is pulled at 3:26, down 65-63. 1.5 minutes, -2.
  • Enters at 1:52, down 67-65. Hits a jumper and is pulled at 1:10 even at 67. (Offense/Defense with Baptists, it seemed.) 42 seconds, +2.
  • Enters at 0:56, down 70-67. 2 fouls, fouling out at 0:01, down 72-67. 55 seconds. -2.

I don't see how Holloway, in those short spurts, had any effect on this game. Heck, for the Mikesell haters out there, they actually put Mikesell to guard Holloway instead of Toppin when Cunningham sat once.
My favorite Holloway play of the game was his "reverse bulldozer" where he saw a Umass guard poised to drive down the RH side of the lane, so he maintained eye contact with the guard and put his 400 lb butt in reverse to literally plow a path down the lane for a lay-up by the guard driving in his wake.

He was called for a moving screen/charge, but the sight of it entertained me.
7 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Fudd For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (01-14-2019), jack72 (01-14-2019), longtimefan (01-14-2019), Muckem333 (01-15-2019), rollo (01-15-2019), SeasonTicketFan (01-14-2019), tirebiter (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 11:35 AM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,570 Times in 5,078 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
UMass was super-physical. It was like the Jarvis coached foreign born GW games of the mid-nineties. I thought it might get out of hand at points during the 1st half.

I think other teams look at our lack of lane physicality as a possible weakness to exploit this year. They want to force us to beat them from outside by concentrating on Josh and Obi.

Last edited by Fudd; 01-14-2019 at 11:41 AM..
Old 01-14-2019, 01:59 PM

Thanked 6,618 Times in 3,024 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Fudd View Post
My favorite Holloway play of the game was his "reverse bulldozer" where he saw a Umass guard poised to drive down the RH side of the lane, so he maintained eye contact with the guard and put his 400 lb butt in reverse to literally plow a path down the lane for a lay-up by the guard driving in his wake.

He was called for a moving screen/charge, but the sight of it entertained me.

He looked like a huge bowling ball plowing through the pins!
Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
SeasonTicketFan (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 02:12 PM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
UMass was super-physical. It was like the Jarvis coached foreign born GW games of the mid-nineties. I thought it might get out of hand at points during the 1st half.

I think other teams look at our lack of lane physicality as a possible weakness to exploit this year. They want to force us to beat them from outside by concentrating on Josh and Obi.
February 26th we go to UMass. That should be a real scrum.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:15 PM
General of the Air Force

Isn't this what always happens? The team will less talented players, plays more physical. Not going to beat their opponent with finesse, so knock the opposition off their game.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (01-14-2019), SeasonTicketFan (01-14-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 10:34 PM
General

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Huh??

Now 43, THAT'S a lot of 3's.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...meId=401082680
Old 01-15-2019, 12:55 AM
General

Thanked 2,909 Times in 1,405 Posts
frisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Don’t forget, we are one of the most efficient offenses in the country, with an impressive field goal percentage, powered by Cunningham and Toppin. The problem is everybody in the conference knows this, and A10 teams are starting to pack the lane and dare us to shoot the three, mainly because outside shooting is statistically our biggest offensive weakness. Alas, no sooner had teams started doing this than Jordan Davis got red hot and Crutcher found his stroke again, and we killed it from the outside the last two games. If we keep shooting it well from outside, teams will have to defend us inside and out, and this will lead to a more balanced attack.
Mad Props to frisco flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
MikeFlyer (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 04:09 AM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Holloway has a career in professional wrestling if basketball doesn’t work out
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-15-2019, 08:07 AM
General

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
The guy is a beast! Frankly, he moves well for a man his size and he has a nice touch around the bucket.
Mad Props to TommyGola For This Totally Excellent Post:
TerryK_67 (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 08:23 AM
Captain

MikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to behold
Posted via Mobile Device
I think he has a career in sumo if basketball doesn't work out.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to MikeFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (01-15-2019), CT Flyer (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 09:36 AM
Major General

Posted via Mobile Device
Listed him at 310...Hummmm..I bet once he puts the right leg down on the scale he's tipping closer to 375 plus....
Old 01-15-2019, 10:18 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,316 Times in 1,328 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute

Especially when you only make 9!
Old 01-15-2019, 10:26 AM

Thanked 15,876 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Listed him at 310...Hummmm..I bet once he puts the right leg down on the scale he's tipping closer to 375 plus....
Listing him at 310 is the biggest Fake News story of the century!
Old 01-15-2019, 11:47 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute

Well Barrett took 17 of them. So 26 for the rest of the team is not that inordinate. Syracuse's zone can do that to you though.

What an anomaly of a box score. Williamson and Barrett combine for 50 shots. Barrett shoots 17 treys, making only 4 and another player goes 0-10 from behind the arc. 86 of Duke's 91 points come from 4 players.

I love to see Duke lose, particularly on their home court, but can't take much satisfaction that came from a bubbliciously Syracuse team who now will hold the most impressive win that any team can lay claim to on Selection Sunday.
Mad Props to SLUFLYER For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (01-15-2019)