Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-12-2020, 09:30 PM
Colonel

Flyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud of
Could we be looking at May madness?

please know the following references some potential political activity. I’m not telling people my opinion, I am merely presenting information as I hear it and this information could very much affect the playing of the sport we all love. I realize the Ivy League live in a very different world than the rest of us, but they were the first domino to fall in March. They just canceled their winter season. https://thecomeback.com/ncaa/the-ivy-league-has-canceled-its-winter-sports-season-the-first-division-i-conference-to-do-so.html
The SEC has four football games Canceled this weekend. Ohio State Maryland is canceled. pac12 games are in jeopardy. Cases are spiking wildly nationwide. Not to mention, we have a president coming into office who’s new COVID-19 task force says a 4 to 6 week paid shut down would bridge the gap to wide vaccine availability. Many conferences have not released there basketball schedule yet. I am no fortuneteller, but don’t be surprised to see the following happen.
1. Delays happened to where the college football playoff is not played until mid to late January*
2. as cases continue to spike currently, schools begin to freak out and pause team related activities until students have been off-campus for two weeks. Most schools will not return to in person classes after Thanksgiving, so that means we are looking at somewhere around December 5.
3. Teams will be lucky to get in four or five nonconference games, factoring in any required quarantining from state teams are coming to or going from. looking at you South Dakota
4. People get together with relatives around Christmas time once again causing spikes in cases.
5. Students come back to campus in mid January and again, team activities are paused.
6. Assuming no nationwide shut down, we finally get going with some semblance of a routine season in early February.
7. Not enough games are played by most teams by the beginning of March to really get a handle on setting up a good tournament. Power five or not.
8. The weather begins to warm up, cases go down, and perhaps some restrictions are loosened allowing larger crowds at events.
9. The NCAA somehow manages to book domes for all games from the field of 64 through the final four. These domes would be able to hold roughly 20% of their normal capacity. That would be about the number of people inside a typical arena for the first and second round games.
Remember, they need both the television and ticket revenue so this cannot fail for a second year.
Bottom line, when all of this is figured out, it’s the early part of May and we are hopefully watching the fliers win some tournament games.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to Flyerferd For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (11-13-2020)
Advertisement
Old 11-13-2020, 09:48 AM
General

Thanked 5,386 Times in 2,348 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Not an unreasonable thought. As Coach K said, we can't afford to have this canceled again. Which to repeat my thought: is the problem with college athletics.
Old 11-13-2020, 11:29 AM
Colonel

Flyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
Not an unreasonable thought. As Coach K said, we can't afford to have this canceled again. Which to repeat my thought: is the problem with college athletics.

Yep. I could see everybody just going to a regional site. Mid west is Indianapolis, south could be New Orleans, east could be Atlanta, West could be Phoenix. All 16 teams just go directly to that site. Four games Thursday with one side of the bracket, four games Friday on the other side of the bracket, two games Saturday, two games Sunday, and then you resume as usual. Nobody has to move anywhere between weekends. All teams that would’ve normally made the NIT get to be alternates in the event a team has to bail out because of too many positive tests.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-14-2020, 04:25 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,479 Times in 757 Posts
N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
Rick Patino just came out in favor of a May Madness. The fact that he thinks it’s a good idea is all I need to know that I don’t like it.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to N2663R For This Totally Excellent Post:
1in25 (11-14-2020), Cardsflyer (11-15-2020), jack72 (11-15-2020)
Old 11-14-2020, 05:38 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,192 Times in 539 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
Ahem,. . .

May-Hem.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDGutter2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Class of 73 Alum (11-15-2020), flyerfanatic86 (11-16-2020), frisco flyer (11-14-2020), Lifelong Flyer Fan (11-14-2020), SC_Flyer (11-14-2020)
Old 11-15-2020, 06:59 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,096 Times in 5,841 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by N2663R View Post
Rick Patino just came out in favor of a May Madness. The fact that he thinks it’s a good idea is all I need to know that I don’t like it.
Of course Slick Rick wants May Madness, his team is currently having Covid problems.