UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Poll Results: Will he or won't he get drafted?
Yes, he has the talent and upside to offset the risk of wasting a pick 32 30.77%
No, because there are 60+ better players 34 32.69%
Yes, but only because of his name 29 27.88%
No, because his attitude and maturity are lacking 9 8.65%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-12-2018, 11:12 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,872 Times in 6,979 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Will Kostas Antentumpkdusypemkfhuyupo get drafted?

The 2018 NBA Draft is June 21st...vote away...
Old 06-12-2018, 06:31 PM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I voted #1, but only because I could not vote #1/3. If Lew Alcindor had a younger 6"11" brother with good promise, but underdeveloped, someone would have taken chance on him.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:40 AM

rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
29 say 'yes'
23 say 'no'

So far...

Voting is open until Draft Day...June 21st.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:53 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,328 Times in 1,078 Posts
longtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
I voted #1, but only because I could not vote #1/3. If Lew Alcindor had a younger 6"11" brother with good promise, but underdeveloped, someone would have taken chance on him.
You’re right- and that someone likely would have been John Wooden. And he would have gone on to greatness. Had wooden coached Kostas, he would never seen another minute after his first technical for trash talking.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-14-2018, 07:15 AM

Update

Yes = 36

No = 28
Old 06-14-2018, 07:50 AM
Major

superfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond repute
Good poll. I believe 3 and 4 are incorrect answers.

If he does not get drafted it will be because there are 60+ better players. In a world where Johnny Manziel gets drafted, attitude and immaturity are not keeping someone from getting drafted. Legal troubles..maybe, but not attitude and immaturity.

If he gets drafted it will not be "solely" because his last name. If he was under 6' tall and slow it wouldn't matter what his last name was. If he gets drafted it will be because of his "talent and upside"...a big part of that upside IS his last name, but the talent part is needed to at least get in the discussion. Nobody gets drafted "solely" on last name, but it is a factor.

I voted for #2, but am hoping he gets drafted. Heck, I root for Andre Iguodala and rooted Antonio Daniels just because their brother went to UD. I will certainly root for a former UD player even if they didn't have a great career here.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to superfan99 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bucketnight (06-18-2018), Lifelong Flyer Fan (06-14-2018), MNFats (06-14-2018), Radar (06-15-2018), rollo (06-14-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 08:11 AM

SF99, when I first typed the Poll, I only included 2 options 'Yes' and 'No' and just before I hit the 'post poll' button, I remembered how finicky, moody, entitled, curious and perfect my fans, followers, minions and wannabees can be, so I decided to break down the Yes/No options to include some basic reasoning. I darn near made 6 options of 3 Yes and 3 No, but that would have watered down the reasoning and I made the Royal decision to keep it at 4. Is it perfect? No. But I am, so I hit the 'post' button.

I have mixed feelings about Kostas getting drafted. The Flyer in me hopes he does and it helps our image/recruiting. The coach/competitor in me hopes he doesn't because it sends the message that you can have a crappy attitude, not work hard, ignore coaching and you can still reach great heights.

Had he stayed at UD for 2018-19 and then taken a shot at the NBA, he'd have 100% of my support. But I just don't like the (lack of) effort he gave UD in the short time he was here...academically and athletically.

Ultimately, I hope he makes an NBA roster at some point. I don't think he's a puck-*ss loser like #35 and the twin terrors, so I don't harbor any anger toward him. Just disappointment that he didn't give us all he had knowing both parties would have benefitted greatly from a little more focus.

King Rollo the Longwinded...OUT!
Gazoo (06-14-2018), MikeFlyer (06-14-2018), MNFats (06-14-2018), superfan99 (06-14-2018), TXFlyerFan (06-14-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 08:17 AM
Major

superfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond repute
I agree completely Rollo. He has left us with the unsettling feeling of "what could have been". If he had worked hard, fully bought in to the program and coaches, and stayed 1 more year...I believe he would have been a success and one of the all-time fan favorites.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:51 AM

My first Roundtable addition since May '13

Originally Posted by superfan99 View Post
I agree completely Rollo. He has left us with the unsettling feeling of "what could have been". If he had worked hard, fully bought in to the program and coaches, and stayed 1 more year...I believe he would have been a success and one of the all-time fan favorites.
For your loyal support of the King and clear understanding that an open mind is as valuable as an open wallet, and that a sense of awareness is necessary in the off-season forums, I do hereby request that you, Superfan99, kneel before thy King so that Queen Rollo may bestow upon you the greatest and most Honorable postition afforded to the Flyer Nation.

From this day forward, through receipt of this Insignia, may the name Superfan99 be spoken and henceforth recognized as a deserving and respected member of the Order of the Golden Testicles. I dub thee Knight;

Rise, Sir Superfan99!
superfan99 (06-14-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 09:00 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
For your loyal support of the King and clear understanding that an open mind is as valuable as an open wallet, and that a sense of awareness is necessary in the off-season forums, I do hereby request that you, Superfan99, kneel before thy King so that Queen Rollo may bestow upon you the greatest and most Honorable postition afforded to the Flyer Nation.

From this day forward, through receipt of this Insignia, may the name Superfan99 be spoken and henceforth recognized as a deserving and respected member of the Order of the Golden Testicles. I dub thee Knight;

Rise, Sir Superfan99!
Be careful supperfan99. Ever hear of NXIVM?
You know what initials are used to brand the members - K R.

If Rollo invites you to his house for an "induction" ceremony - run the other way.
Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
cj (06-14-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
Be careful supperfan99. Ever hear of NXIVM?
You know what initials are used to brand the members - K R.

If Rollo invites you to his house for an "induction" ceremony - run the other way.
The Palatial Estate is offended...unless you were referring to the garage.
Radar (06-15-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 10:16 AM

San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
For one reason or another, 37 fans think he will be drafted. Which basically means they give him a shot.

As far as number 2, never in the history of the draft have the best 60 players been selected in the first 60 picks.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (06-14-2018), MNFats (06-14-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 12:19 PM
Major

Rise, Sir Superfan99!

Thanks Rollo. This is a "major award". I am almost as excited as the dad in Christmas Story was when he won the leg lamp.
Mad Props to superfan99 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (06-14-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by superfan99 View Post
Thanks Rollo. This is a "major award". I am almost as excited as the dad in Christmas Story was when he won the leg lamp.
You should be honored...and welcome to the 1%! I'll teach you the secret handshake later. It goes something like this...

Gazoo (06-14-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 01:05 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,557 Times in 2,451 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
This analysis has him slotted at #31
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...ft-projections
Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (06-14-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan View Post
From the link:

"Kostas is an efficient scorer and elite shot-blocker; perhaps he'll also end up a late bloomer like his older brother, Giannis."

"late bloomer"? Giannis? He lots of things but one he's not is a 'late bloomer'! Talk about Fake News...

At 19 he averaged 6.8 pts and 4.4 rbs in the NBA!
At 19, Kostas was a redshirt at UD.

At 20, Giannis averaged 12.7 pts/6.7 rbs...
At 20, Kostas averaged 5.2 pts/2.9 rbs for UD

At 21, Giannis averaged 16.9 pts/7.7 rbs...
At 21, Kostas is TBD.

At 23, the royal late bloomer - Giannis - is arguably a Top 5 NBA talent. What G-League team will employ Kostas when he's 23 and on the verge of budding (which for the uninitiated is what happens before blooming)?

How on rollo's green earth can Giannis be considered a late bloomer?

Dennis Rodman was a late bloomer.
JJ Reddick is a late bloomer...
Kyle Korver is a late bloomer...

Kostas might become a late bloomer, and if he does it 100% won't be 'like his older brother'...

UGH!

Last edited by rollo; 06-14-2018 at 02:42 PM..
Old 06-14-2018, 02:44 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,367 Times in 537 Posts
MNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan View Post
They are giving him a 76% chance of having a role in the NBA (All-Star, Starter, Role Player).

I think I've been one of the more "pro-Kostas" folks here the last few months...and 76% seems waaaaaaaaay too high. I would have put it at 30% - 40% tops. Still worth a late round pick.

I'm not even sure 1st round picks have a 76% success rate...
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to MNFats For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (06-29-2018), flyerfanatic86 (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 07:22 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
From the link:

"Kostas is an efficient scorer and elite shot-blocker;
I'm having trouble just wrapping my head around this!

Did he block shots? Yup. Elite? Unless they changed the definition...uh, not yet. He had more turnovers than blocks!

Scorer? Hmmm...5.3ppg. Perhaps since he avg'd just 15 mins/game.

And let's not forget those 3 rebs/game.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (06-15-2018), rollo (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 07:53 AM

Yes = 46
No = 38

6 more days of voting...
Old 06-18-2018, 08:26 AM

Yes = 50
No = 39.

The Draft is Thursday...
Old 06-18-2018, 08:40 AM
Major

cralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond reputecralford has a reputation beyond repute
The 2018 NBA Draft is June 21st...vote away...
Yes he will!
Old 06-18-2018, 09:31 AM

Kostas' chances in the draft have never been about stats. It's about all the peripheral things that would influence a GM to take a "flyer" based on size, heritage, age and potential.

You know how I despise the word "lock", but I give Kostas a 50/50 chance this week.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:18 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,484 Times in 810 Posts
FlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond repute
I think his chances are better than 50/50. He has really high upside. Most of the players who get drafted in the second round will either not play in the NBA or play at a replacement-level. Kostas has a chance to be a star... maybe unlikely and a long way to go. But why draft someone else who won't be better than the best G-League player when you could go for someone who has a chance to make an impact? Some team will think that way. #31 seems high, though. My guess is #45-50.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:21 PM

Thanked 6,122 Times in 4,168 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Unfortunately, I give KA about a 1% chance of getting drafted. I'm sorry, I just do not see this happening at all. There are so many great players that he is competing against, the competition is fierce. He needs a lot more seasoning.

Last edited by ud2; 06-18-2018 at 05:23 PM..
Old 06-18-2018, 05:44 PM
Major General

longtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
Unfortunately, I give KA about a 1% chance of getting drafted. I'm sorry, I just do not see this happening at all. There are so many great players that he is competing against, the competition is fierce. He needs a lot more seasoning.
I know the NBA seems to draft players based on "potential", but when I see what Chris Wright did at UD, factor in CW's shortcomings vs what he brought game in and game out, shear athleticism, etc...then compare those accomplishments to what KA "did" at UD....based on what they both displayed... No way in h3ll does KA get a 2nd round draft pick.

But he does have that long last name and I suppose that is worth something.
Mad Props to longtimefan67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 07:44 AM

Yes 57
No 43
Old 06-19-2018, 08:51 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,993 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
An article in today’s DDN (from the wire; not Jablonski or Archdeacon) about KA and his draft prospects. Generally pretty well-balanced, but I threw-up in my mouth a little when I saw a quote from KA saying NBA teams would be impressed with how hard he works on his game.

Uh...they might want to ask CAG about that. Just saying, “caveat emptor”.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 11:56 AM

Thanked 1,302 Times in 674 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 View Post
An article in today’s DDN (from the wire; not Jablonski or Archdeacon) about KA and his draft prospects. Generally pretty well-balanced, but I threw-up in my mouth a little when I saw a quote from KA saying NBA teams would be impressed with how hard he works on his game.

Uh...they might want to ask CAG about that. Just saying, “caveat emptor”.
Posted via Mobile Device
Not sure he's not accurate on that statement. He probably was working on "his" game, it's just that "his" game may not have been the game Grant wanted him to be working on. Having a mis-alignment on vision of your role isn't necessarily uncommon and can lead to friction. I'm sure in his mind, he was working on the things he believed would help him prep for NBA and not necessarily what would help him with UD.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by TXFlyerFan View Post
Not sure he's not accurate on that statement. He probably was working on "his" game, it's just that "his" game may not have been the game Grant wanted him to be working on. Having a mis-alignment on vision of your role isn't necessarily uncommon and can lead to friction. I'm sure in his mind, he was working on the things he believed would help him prep for NBA and not necessarily what would help him with UD.
Well, if he was working on his 3-pointers, FTs, leadership or strength, he gets a royal 'F'.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:47 PM
General

Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,372 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Well, if he was working on his 3-pointers, FTs, leadership or strength, he gets a royal 'F'.

Unfair. Think how bad he would have been if he had NOT been working on those things. Comparatively he did excellent.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:27 PM

TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
He might have been honing his skills in NBA2K17. I mean, nothing prepares you for the NBA like EA Sports.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TXFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (06-20-2018), Justin (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 01:51 PM

Thanked 10,123 Times in 5,859 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
If Kostas was working hard the last two years, then he really does not have much talent, and is all size, span, speed and last name.
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 03:01 PM
Colonel

MNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think anyone in the NBA is kidding themselves over what he is. And nobody is wasting a pick based on a last name. There is potential there, and a late 2nd round pick is a good time to get the rights to that potential. Little to no risk for the team. Send him away for a couple of years and see what happens. Here is the blurb from Sports Illustrated (they have him going 56th):

Giannis’s younger brother (obviously) seems likely to be drafted in the second round, with the added factor that he can play overseas to develop for a couple years given his Greek passport if he agrees to it. He has serious athletic tools, but a highly questionable feel for the game that limits his upside.

Seems pretty accurate.
Mad Props to MNFats For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (06-20-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 12:44 PM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
UD NBA draft picks:

https://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/c...n/16/nba-draft

UD NBA draft pick players' stats in the NBA:

https://www.basketball-reference.com...college=dayton

Last edited by ud2; 06-21-2018 at 12:46 PM..
Old 06-21-2018, 01:41 PM
Colonel

Tonight's the night. I'll be watching (of course, I watch every year, so nothing new there)

I asked Jeeves for all of the two round mocks out there and grabbed the first handful the search returned. By no means a scientific study.

Looking at 11 mock drafts, 9 of the 11 have Kostas being drafted (the holdouts being NBADraft.net which is my personal favorite and Walter Football - he also does basketball!)

The interesting thing is that of the 9 saying he will be drafted, they have a ceiling of the 54th pick and a floor of the 59th pick. Which means either these guys know something, or we have a serious case of "group think" on our hands. So if nothing else, this tells me that if you only want to tune in tonight to see if he gets drafted, there is like a 20 minute window you need to watch.

I'm going on record with 55 to the Hornets. He then spends 2 years in the G league. After that he gets his call up and limited minutes off the bench. What happens after that? Almost anything is a possibility. If you put odds on him being an All Star in 8 years or selling hot dogs at Bucks games, probably the same odds.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:55 PM
General of the Air Force

CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MNFats View Post
If you put odds on him being an All Star in 8 years or selling hot dogs at Bucks games, probably the same odds.
I don't know about that, the Bucks are very very selective when hiring vendors.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
MNFats (06-21-2018), TA111 (06-21-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 02:38 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,229 Posts
NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute
I can say with 100% confidence that no one named Kostas Antentumpkdusypemkfhuyupo will be drafted
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to NCkevi For This Totally Excellent Post:
MNFats (06-21-2018), TA111 (06-21-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 03:04 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
I'm a Sherlock Holmes Fan

and I know the difference between Sherlock Holmes and his brother.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:46 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,082 Times in 469 Posts
Piqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant future
Not drafted, he might be great someday.
But there are so many so far more developed.
He made big mistake leaving with 3 yrs left.
Where's he going to dev his skills? . Not in some
weak league overseas and not ready for G League
Old 06-21-2018, 06:05 PM

The interesting thing is that of the 9 saying he will be drafted, they have a ceiling of the 54th pick and a floor of the 59th pick. Which means either these guys know something, or we have a serious case of "group think" on our hands. So if nothing else, this tells me that if you only want to tune in tonight to see if he gets drafted, there is like a 20 minute window you need to watch.
7pm to 11pm on ESPN, seems like it usually runs past 11...teams have less time on the clock in round 2 IINM.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:20 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

IndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
I agree someone takes a chance and his name is called. My guess is mid 50's.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-21-2018, 06:36 PM
General of the Air Force

T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
I say he goes somewhere between 54 and 60, to a team seemingly on the upswing, like the 76ers, who already have a good, young core, and don’t need immediate help,
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-22-2018, 12:01 AM

#60 To the Mavericks?
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TXFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (06-23-2018), San Diego Flyer (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 12:02 AM
Colonel

Last pick to the 76ers. Wooooooooooo! Free publicity!
Mad Props to MNFats For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyhi524 (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 12:03 AM
General of the Air Force

#60 To the Mavericks?
Nope. To the 76ers. Holy crap! I called it!
Posted via Mobile Device
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (06-22-2018), Flyer 86 (06-23-2018), ud2 (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 12:05 AM

yeah, I don't know where the Twitter post had Mavs at #60 unless they traded the pick but yes, 76ers
Old 06-22-2018, 12:06 AM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
so that's what it's like to see a Dayton player drafted
Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud2 (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 12:07 AM

Actual tweet from the Mavericks official Twitter account has them selecting Kostas so no idea what's going on
Old 06-22-2018, 12:09 AM
1st Lieutenant

dUDe will become famous soon enoughdUDe will become famous soon enough
I predict he won’t play a minute in the league.
Mad Props to dUDe For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (06-23-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 12:10 AM
General

OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Bobby Karalla

Verified account

@bobbykaralla
47s47 seconds ago
More
The Mavs have acquired the draft rights to Ray Spalding and Kostas Antetokounmpo in exchange for the draft rights to Shake Milton.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:11 AM
General

somehow the last pick of the draft seems fitting
Old 06-22-2018, 12:13 AM
Captain

flyhi524 is a glorious beacon of lightflyhi524 is a glorious beacon of lightflyhi524 is a glorious beacon of lightflyhi524 is a glorious beacon of lightflyhi524 is a glorious beacon of lightflyhi524 is a glorious beacon of light
Last pick, first pick. The Dayton Flyers just had a player drafted into the NBA! Soak it in
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to flyhi524 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (06-22-2018), San Diego Flyer (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 12:16 AM
General

Originally Posted by flyhi524 View Post
Last pick, first pick. The Dayton Flyers just had a player drafted into the NBA! Soak it in
this could very well be the highlight of Dayton basketball for the next couple years
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Dillomernda (06-22-2018), ud2 (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 12:18 AM
1st Lieutenant

Lowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud of
On ESPN2, Fran Fraschilla was able to use his classic line in describing Kostas...

"He's a couple years away from being a couple years away."
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Lowd&ProUD For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (06-22-2018), Gazoo (06-22-2018), Jack D (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 01:05 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,484 Times in 810 Posts
FlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond repute
Mavs get Doncic and Kostas. European invasion.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:40 AM
Major General

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
this could very well be the highlight of Dayton basketball for the next couple years
LOL- I doubt it
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to longtimefan67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (06-22-2018), Lifelong Flyer Fan (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 06:56 AM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by dUDe View Post
I predict that this will be debated ad nauseam.
Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 08:59 AM

yeah, I don't know where the Twitter post had Mavs at #60 unless they traded the pick but yes, 76ers
Fake News is the order of the day.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:03 AM

I'm not going to say you were wrong, but somebody had to be in the 1%. Fate.
Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud2 (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 09:05 AM

I had that exact same thought last night.

The crow is a little salty.

Good luck to Kostas, I wish him the best.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (06-22-2018), OSU Flyer (06-22-2018), San Diego Flyer (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Lowd&ProUD View Post
On ESPN2, Fran Fraschilla was able to use his classic line in describing Kostas...

"He's a couple years away from being a couple years away."
Funniest quote of the draft.
Flyer 86 (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 09:33 AM

Thanked 6,616 Times in 3,023 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute

Love this optimism!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
OSU Flyer (06-22-2018), UDTradition (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 10:16 AM
Major General

He got selected #60 based soley on his last name big brother accomplishment. If his last name was Smith he wouldn’t have been selected.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-22-2018, 10:37 AM
General

Thanked 4,319 Times in 2,123 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
His brother/name may have helped but its not like it was the only reason he got drafted. He has traits that NBA teams desire, length, leaping ability, he can put the ball on the floor a bit for a man his height, etc... He has a long way to go in order to compete on the NBA level, but for a league that routinely drafts and stashes players in the 2nd round, and is just figuring out how to use the G-League as a real minor league development system a team could do a lot worse than draft a kid with the kind of God-given abilities that Kostas has. Its a "lottery ticket" for sure, and one that comes with the added benefit of providing that extra "chip on the table" when Giannis hits free agency in a couple of seasons.

At the end of the day, a player for UD got drafted for the first time in a "longggggggg" time. If he was helping work the basketball camp last week as someone posted, then there can't be that bad of blood between he and the coaching staff. Be happy for him and the program, wish him well and perhaps if he finds success, no matter how small some deem the possibility, it will reflect well on UD and CAG down the road.
8 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
bigudfan (06-22-2018), Flyer 86 (06-22-2018), flyerfanatic86 (06-25-2018), IndianaFlyer (06-22-2018), Justin (06-22-2018), OSU Flyer (06-22-2018), San Diego Flyer (06-22-2018), superfan99 (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 11:07 AM

UD NBA draft picks:

https://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/c...n/16/nba-draft
Updated!...lol...looks and feels good!

What does the * mean? Not a senior?

Last edited by ud2; 06-22-2018 at 11:10 AM..
Old 06-22-2018, 11:08 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,763 Times in 928 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Medford View Post
His brother/name may have helped but its not like it was the only reason he got drafted. He has traits that NBA teams desire, length, leaping ability, he can put the ball on the floor a bit for a man his height, etc... He has a long way to go in order to compete on the NBA level, but for a league that routinely drafts and stashes players in the 2nd round, and is just figuring out how to use the G-League as a real minor league development system a team could do a lot worse than draft a kid with the kind of God-given abilities that Kostas has. Its a "lottery ticket" for sure, and one that comes with the added benefit of providing that extra "chip on the table" when Giannis hits free agency in a couple of seasons.

At the end of the day, a player for UD got drafted for the first time in a "longggggggg" time. If he was helping work the basketball camp last week as someone posted, then there can't be that bad of blood between he and the coaching staff. Be happy for him and the program, wish him well and perhaps if he finds success, no matter how small some deem the possibility, it will reflect well on UD and CAG down the road.
Poppycock. Those traits are rationalizations for drafting him, not why he was drafted. He was drafted because of his name. Period. There are literally thousands of better and more deserving players out there. He is a bench warmer from a mediocre (at best) A10 team.

I'm as happy as anyone that he was drafted and I hope he becomes a perennial all-star, but that doesn't mean we have to play pretend.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:30 AM
General

Thanked 4,319 Times in 2,123 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
It may have been a big reason, but lets not act like if I changed my last night to Jordan I'd get drafted anytime soon. There are a ton of players who put up much better numbers, for much better teams, but many of those players don't have the length, athletic combo to succeed in the NBA at any point. I love what Josh Cunningham brings to the Flyers, and wouldn't trade his production next year for whatever Kostas would have provided for the Flyers next year, but Josh's body type, and athletic ability leave very, very little chance of working against NBA players.

Kostas already has the height, leaping ability and length that are needed to impact the game. If he had Josh's strenth and work ethic, he'd be a shoe in. Its a gamble, but that is typical of many late 2nd round NBA picks. How many euro's have been drafted, stashed overseas and never see an NBA arena because they don't develop like they hoped. With the G-League and what it has morhped into, there is a much better path for NBA teams to take a risk on a kid with the unteachable skills that Kostas has and hope that they can develop the teachable aspects of the game and turn him into a useful NBA player.

So perhaps there are a 1,000 kids who put up better stats, perhaps worked harder, perhaps cared about their education more, there are not 1,000 draft eligible kids with a better shot at sticking to an NBA roster some day no matter their last name. At the end of the day, size and athletic ability matter a ton in the NBA. The NBA doesn't care about what you did in college, nor who hard you studied (to an extent) they care about what they think they can mold you into over the next 2-3 seasons.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
John C. (06-22-2018), Lifelong Flyer Fan (06-22-2018), Lowd&ProUD (06-22-2018), San Diego Flyer (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 11:41 AM
1st Lieutenant

UD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud of
I predict you are very very wrong.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UD_Earl For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (06-23-2018), San Diego Flyer (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 12:36 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 3,076 Times in 1,229 Posts
NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by hawkoooo View Post
Poppycock. Those traits are rationalizations for drafting him, not why he was drafted. He was drafted because of his name. Period.
If all you need is the right name why wasn't Jeffrey Jordan drafted?
Mad Props to NCkevi For This Totally Excellent Post:
IndianaFlyer (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 12:55 PM
Major

UDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant future
What a buzz-killer. I predict that this will not be the last buzz that you'll kill.
Mad Props to UDTradition For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 01:01 PM
Lieutenant General

Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Updated!...lol...looks and feels good!

What does the * mean? Not a senior?
Only other player on that list with a * is Johnny Davis. It must mean left college before exhausting their eligibility.

What I don't understand is why Steve's name is on there for 2019. He would have been a senior eligibility wise this academic year, and they have JR. And why do they have FL Gulf Coast listed at his school??
Old 06-22-2018, 02:02 PM
1st Lieutenant

Lowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud ofLowd&ProUD has much to be proud of
Crossed my mind earlier today that Kostas might not have even liked that he was drafted at #60.

Were the Bucks ready to sign him if he went undrafted? If so, wouldn't that have been preferable?

If the Bucks weren't planning on signing him, now that would be telling.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:29 PM

Crossed my mind earlier today that Kostas might not have even liked that he was drafted at #60.
I totally believe his agents were working the phones and would not have been worried if he had not been drafted. He would have been in somebody's camp. Would he have made their squad? Anybody's guess.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:43 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,558 Times in 941 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
Does getting drafted guarantee any money?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-22-2018, 02:48 PM
General

Originally Posted by maddog07 View Post
Does getting drafted guarantee any money?
Posted via Mobile Device
only 1st round
Old 06-22-2018, 03:03 PM
Lieutenant General

Were the Bucks ready to sign him if he went undrafted? If so, wouldn't that have been preferable?

If the Bucks weren't planning on signing him, now that would be telling.
Video of Giannis and Kostas posted by Giannis after the selection. Seems pretty happy to me.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BkUwUj6l...y=giannis_an34
Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lowd&ProUD (06-23-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 03:18 PM
General

Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,372 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Medford View Post
It may have been a big reason, but lets not act like if I changed my last night to Jordan I'd get drafted anytime soon. There are a ton of players who put up much better numbers, for much better teams, but many of those players don't have the length, athletic combo to succeed in the NBA at any point.

Odessa Junior College has 3 guys on the roster 6'11" or taller.

Now, I'm not saying any of the 3 have the length / athletic combo. I'm saying it ain't THAT hard to find length / athletic combo when you have the whole world to pick from, and you're only searching to 2 attributes.

If you want length / athletic / strong / can shoot / can avoid fouling once a minute, it gets much harder. If you think you can teach shooting and defense to KA but can't compensate for someone else's athletic ability who can shoot, I'd say KA is a perfectly good draft pick.

I'm not rooting against him (I'm indifferent), but he's got a long way to go.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:23 PM
General

Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
Odessa Junior College has 3 guys on the roster 6'11" or taller.

Now, I'm not saying any of the 3 have the length / athletic combo. I'm saying it ain't THAT hard to find length / athletic combo when you have the whole world to pick from, and you're only searching to 2 attributes.

If you want length / athletic / strong / can shoot / can avoid fouling once a minute, it gets much harder. If you think you can teach shooting and defense to KA but can't compensate for someone else's athletic ability who can shoot, I'd say KA is a perfectly good draft pick.

I'm not rooting against him (I'm indifferent), but he's got a long way to go.
Disagree that finding that height and athleticism isn't that hard. That's why Kostas was drafted

the vast, vast majority of big guys have Matt Cooper or worse athleticism
Old 06-23-2018, 10:07 AM
General

Thanked 1,266 Times in 784 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
There are players who are solid upon arriving like Ayton and Bagley and some others. Then there are others who have greater or higher ceiling, and aren't super solid or near that at draft time.

I think Kostas falls into that high ceiling , just like the Knicks Knox picks. (Say that 5 times fast!). The issue is how quickly and can he reach into the higher stratosphere.

He also has the advantage of playing pickup with NBA'ers with his brother the last 2 to 3 years in the offseason. Personally , I think it's 50-50 he makea a contrib in the next 2 to 3 years to a team.

With length and his pedigree, his position is the only one (6 9" and taller big) where those things matter. Most guards have to "earn their way" - brother or not.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:41 AM
1st Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Flyer 86 View Post
Personally , I think it's 50-50 he makea a contrib in the next 2 to 3 years to a team.
I'm thinking 50/50 that he makes a team in 2-3 years.

I'll say longer than 2 years with worse odds at actually contributing. (I'll define contributing as being in the rotation most every night he's healthy.)

I have to say that I'm rooting for him a little harder after hearing he was participating at one of our camps recently.
Mad Props to Lowd&ProUD For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (06-29-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 06:58 PM
Colonel

Originally Posted by hawkoooo View Post
Poppycock. Those traits are rationalizations for drafting him, not why he was drafted. He was drafted because of his name. Period.
Because with millions of dollars at stake, NBA teams love to waste draft picks on players they know aren't any good because of his name...

He has physical tools that are rare. Is it a family trait? It is. But he has it. now he just has to learn to play basketball - and the Mavs think they can teach him. If they didn't, they would not have drafted him. Period.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:21 PM

Thanked 6,616 Times in 3,023 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Because with millions of dollars at stake, NBA teams love to waste draft picks on players they know aren't any good because of his name...

He has physical tools that are rare. Is it a family trait? It is. But he has it. now he just has to learn to play basketball - and the Mavs think they can teach him. If they didn't, they would not have drafted him. Period.

Sure, he has some physical tools, but so do a lot of players around the world. Do you really think he would have been drafted if he had a different last name? I doubt it. The guy averaged 5 points a game off the bench for UD. They probably wouldn't even know who he was if he had a different last name. He has some physical tools, some potential, and a great last name.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:53 PM
Captain

Kevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud ofKevinob15 has much to be proud of
Everybody treats the last name as a negative thing. If I’m an nba team I look heavily into this as you’re always wanting to know how a player is going to develop physically. With Kostas you already have insight into what his genetics will give him the potential to develop into so yes I do draft this kid because of his name in a positive way because there is already a prediction advantage.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-23-2018, 10:17 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,461 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Cuban can invest in KA in hopes he has what Giannis has. But I think one important point is never factored into the equation. One brother has what it takes to play in the NBA. What’s forgotten is another brother did not. I don’t consider two games an NBA success story.

Time will tell if KA can develop or not. He is not ready today.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:21 AM

I predicted the Mavs would take Kostas. They have done this before. And one reason it made sense is because they also drafted Barry Larkin, oops, I mean Shane Larkin (with the help of Atlanta). Point is, in the insanely rich NBA names count. We shouldn't blame it on the offspring. His career NBA stats mirror what KA did at Dayton last season. Go Figure.

And acutally there is a 5 minute highlight of Kostas' best shots of the season, and even though it might have been against the Washington Generals it is impressive to see his speed down the court and his contorted finishes like a rubber man. The draftors are armed with some clips that trump common sense if you're bending in that direction to start with.

I think Kostas will have the same opportunity Larkin had. It remains to be seen what he will do with it.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:00 PM

I predicted the Mavs would take Kostas. They have done this before. And one reason it made sense is because they also drafted Barry Larkin, oops, I mean Shane Larkin (with the help of Atlanta). Point is, in the insanely rich NBA names count. We shouldn't blame it on the offspring. His career NBA stats mirror what KA did at Dayton last season. Go Figure.

I think Kostas will have the same opportunity Larkin had. It remains to be seen what he will do with it.
Yeah, but Larkin was a first rounder with a guaranteed contract, the team had a lot more invested in him than they will invest in KA, thus Larkin got/will get more of a chance to prove himself than KA will.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:53 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,145 Times in 598 Posts
bcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BeckysTXA View Post
Cuban can invest in KA in hopes he has what Giannis has. But I think one important point is never factored into the equation. One brother has what it takes to play in the NBA. What’s forgotten is another brother did not. I don’t consider two games an NBA success story.

Time will tell if KA can develop or not. He is not ready today.
Thanasis is also 4-5 inches shorter than his brothers.
Old 06-24-2018, 02:03 PM

Yeah, but Larkin was a first rounder with a guaranteed contract, the team had a lot more invested in him than they will invest in KA, thus Larkin got/will get more of a chance to prove himself than KA will.
I'm not sure what your logic is. The Mavs were stuck with a horrible mid-first round pick AND with a guaranteed pile of money. It only took them one year to figure it out. Larkin has done nothing in 5 years with 5 teams including playing one year for Bastonia. Total bust to date.
He is about out of chances.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:15 PM
Colonel

Furio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant future
Shane Larkin has raked in 6 million dollars in 4 years in the NBA.
http://www.spotrac.com/nba/boston-ce...cash-earnings/

Being a bust is one heck of a pile of cash in the NBA
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Furio For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (06-29-2018), Justin (06-25-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Furio View Post
Shane Larkin has raked in 6 million dollars in 4 years in the NBA.
http://www.spotrac.com/nba/boston-ce...cash-earnings/

Being a bust is one heck of a pile of cash in the NBA
Well, that simply is a condemnation of all pro sports today. Tons of TV money is being sprinkled over marginally talented athletes for an obscene number of years that is, TADAA,
guaranteed.

The Larkin name has served him well. Kostas may reap the same, much to the chagrin of his detractors.

It's great work if you can find it.
Flyer 86 (06-29-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 11:29 PM

I'm not sure what your logic is. The Mavs were stuck with a horrible mid-first round pick AND with a guaranteed pile of money. It only took them one year to figure it out. Larkin has done nothing in 5 years with 5 teams including playing one year for Bastonia. Total bust to date.
He is about out of chances.
The point is that I think your example is not relevant. You are equating Larkin with KA. They are 2 completely different situations. The only similarity is having famous last names.

Larkin was a concensus mid-first round pick per the experts and the mock drafts, it was not a reach to draft Larkin in the mid-first round, he deserved to be a mid-first round pick: ACC POY, 2nd team All-American.

Last edited by ud2; 06-24-2018 at 11:37 PM..
Old 06-25-2018, 09:17 AM

You are equating Larkin with KA. They are 2 completely different situations. The only similarity is having famous last names.
Their celeb names are exactly my point. The experts were wrong on Larkin. During and after his initial contract he showed very little. His name carried him to 5 years. Maybe if his name was Shane Antetokounmpo he would get another 5. My point is names count for more than they should, whether it be the initial draft, contract, or extension. The name can buy time and money.

But it's also wrong to blame the kid. It's a sports phenomenon.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:42 AM
1st Lieutenant

There are plenty of brothers and sons of star athletes that don't get drafted or placed on teams. They just don't hit everyone's radar like the ones that do.

You either have the goods or you don't. Kostas was arguably the most gifted athlete in this draft along with Lonnie Walker and Zhaire Smith.

Raw, yes. But he has things you can't "coach up".

Shane Larkin was a legitimate big-time stud in college. The success rate on mid first rounders turning into stars isn't terribly high. Donovan Mitchell is the exception, not the rule. Shane's potential achilles heel was always lack of size, not being over-hyped because of last name.

If the Mavs drafted Kostas because of his last name, I believe it was with an eye on luring Giannis in free agency down the road. And that would only make sense if they thought Kostas could be on the team at that time.
Mad Props to Lowd&ProUD For This Totally Excellent Post:
MNFats (06-25-2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 11:17 AM

Thanked 1,650 Times in 838 Posts
Canonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond repute
I stand corrected. Good luck Kostas.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:37 AM
Colonel

Their celeb names are exactly my point. The experts were wrong on Larkin. During and after his initial contract he showed very little. His name carried him to 5 years. Maybe if his name was Shane Antetokounmpo he would get another 5. My point is names count for more than they should, whether it be the initial draft, contract, or extension. The name can buy time and money.

But it's also wrong to blame the kid. It's a sports phenomenon.
Shane Larkin didn't get 5 years in the league because his dad was a good shortstop 20 years ago. I suppose next your're going to tell me all of the ACC coaches voted him ACC player of the year as a Sophomore because they are all huge Reds fans.

Teams bring him in because they think he can play a role with them. It isn't more complicated than that.

Did Kostas get more attention going into college because of his last name? Absolutely.

Did Kostas get a combine invite because of his last name? Sure seems like it.

Did he get drafted because of his last name? No. Teams aren't in the business of wasting draft assets because they like a guys name. They knew they were drafting something you can't teach. They are hoping they can teach him the rest.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to MNFats For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (06-25-2018), m21eagle45 (06-25-2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 03:20 PM

Did he get drafted because of his last name? No. Teams aren't in the business of wasting draft assets because they like a guys name. They knew they were drafting something you can't teach. They are hoping they can teach him the rest.
That is total BS. The scales tipped his direction on the 60th and last pick solely because Donnie Nelson could look at films of Giannis Antetokounmpo when he entered the NBA at a tender age and dream of what could be with a non-guaranteed contract for his brother. Period. The name was the clincher at #60. Cuban is no dummy.

It's the sole reason no one was fighting over him for the first 59 picks.
Gazoo (06-26-2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 03:22 PM
General of the Air Force

That is total BS. The scales tipped his direction on the 60th and last pick solely because Donnie Nelson could look at films of Giannis Antetokounmpo when he entered the NBA at a tender age and dream of what could be with a non-guaranteed contract for his brother. Period. The name was the clincher at #60. Cuban is no dummy.

It's the sole reason no one was fighting over him for the first 59 picks.
http://larrybrownsports.com/basketba...giannis/451034
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Justin (06-25-2018), San Diego Flyer (06-25-2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 04:04 PM
Colonel

And the last paragraph debunks SDF's theory. The whole thing only works if Kostas is on the team in 3 years.

Which, if he is, that's a steal at #60.

If he's not, then the whole theory is garbage.

Here is that paragraph:

"Of course, Giannis is not eligible to become a free agent until 2021, which casts some doubt on if Kostas will still be on the team by then (since second-round picks are not bound by rookie scale contracts like first-rounders are). However, the 20-year-old big has wild upside (not to mention wild physical attributes), so the Mavs have incentive to keep him around on multiple fronts."
Old 06-25-2018, 05:43 PM

I think that writer ran out of catchy stories. Signing Kostas for three years so brothers can play together is lunacy.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:09 PM
Colonel

I think that writer ran out of catchy stories. Signing Kostas for three years so brothers can play together is lunacy.
Exactly - which is why the theory that they drafted him to get his brother down the road doesn't make sense.

The only way it does make sense is if he is on the team in 3 years - in which case - great pick at #60.