UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Poll Results: The shot goes in 1/2 second after the halftime horn...what's your call???
It's good, count the basket! Good lord, it's a 3rd grad game! 9 40.91%
Wave it off...after the buzzer is after the buzzer...apologize and move on. 13 59.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-22-2019, 02:21 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,877 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
You Make the Call - count the basket or not?

Since IAFlyer posted a YMtC, I'll post one too. It happened this weekend and I got an earful of BOOOOOOOs for my call!

3rd grade boys....the score is Blue 16, White 4 with just a few seconds left in the 2nd qtr. White throws the ball in and a kid chucks up a 3-pointer (4.....3......2....) and he missed everything. White teammate catches the ball (...1.....HORN!...), shoots and (clearly after the horn goes off) scores! Or did he???

Rollo the Royal Ref has the call and doesn't hesitate! And the fans start BOOOOing like I just cost My Flyers a win against _avier.

The reaction was so strong that I had to go to the scorers table and explain my call to the coaches and scorekeepers.

What call would you make????

I'll explain my call at 2:30 Wednesday.

Last edited by rollo; 01-22-2019 at 02:24 PM..
Advertisement
Old 01-22-2019, 02:56 PM

Thanked 10,134 Times in 5,868 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Everyone knows that most refs are not really blind, but most are deaf. What horn? The basket is good.
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
SLUFLYER (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 03:14 PM
General

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
White teammate catches the ball (...1.....HORN!...), shoots and (clearly after the horn goes off) scores! Or did he???
My vote is predicated on what you wrote. So start with the assumption that the ball was still in his hand after the horn, not some scenario where you're trying to say the ball left his hand but had not gone through the hoop.

Not everyone gets a trophy. If you'd like to score, kid, shoot it before the horn goes off. You'd have 10 teary-eyed kids on the other team screaming about it being unfair just to play to the crowd.

It's not about you, Enrico Pelazzo.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:17 PM
Major

TheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to behold
If the ball is in his hands when the clock hits 0.0 then no shot.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:27 PM

rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
My vote is predicated on what you wrote.
I see where I may have mislead the masses...my narrative is 100% correct. The horn went off before the kid let go of the shot. The actual poll question implies the shot may have been released before the horn...it wasn't.

The order was: missed shot....catch...horn...shot (GOOD?!?!)
Old 01-22-2019, 03:32 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,152 Times in 2,713 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
If it were me the basket is GOOD!
Old 01-22-2019, 03:45 PM
Captain

MikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to behold
Should the rules change because they are 3rd graders?
Old 01-22-2019, 04:00 PM
Captain

shwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant future
Clearly go to the monitors.... you should went into the stands to talk to some angry mother that had it recorded on their phone. Then you can show them on video how they don't now the rules.

Last edited by shwag33; 01-22-2019 at 04:03 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shwag33 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (01-22-2019), Gazoo (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 04:21 PM
Major

TheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to behold
I'd vote for option B, but I wouldn't apologize. Happened to my kid's 2nd grade team. Wife had the video and all. Ball was still on his fingers as the clock hit 0 on what would have been a game winning 3 point heave at the buzzer in overtime. As a parent I can't believe he called it off as close as it was (arms were even already fully extended), but as a basketball fan I have to admit it was the right call. We lost by 3 in the 2nd OT.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:46 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,557 Times in 3,702 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
I see where I may have mislead the masses...my narrative is 100% correct. The horn went off before the kid let go of the shot. The actual poll question implies the shot may have been released before the horn...it wasn't.

The order was: missed shot....catch...horn...shot (GOOD?!?!)
I have been in enough local gyms to know at times the horn and clock are not synced. My guess is you had a visual on the clock, which in your opinion had not hit zero when it left the kids hand.

Or your getting soft (snowflake cough cough) in your old age and handing out participation trophies to every kid who makes a basket
Old 01-22-2019, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by MikeFlyer View Post
Are you being facious? Have you ever seen a 3rd grade basketball game? Or any other sporting event?
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to rollo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (01-23-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 10:52 PM

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
The rules don't change, but the interpretation by the good officials does.

I have coached 3rd on up. The good officials consistently use the game to teach. If you called every traveling, carry, double dribble, pulled pivot, etc...it would be even worse to watch and nothing would get accomplished. I will say that at the 2-3 grade you would see a violation of some sorts half of all possessions. Let alone kids toes hitting the stripe on free throws.

As the kids get older, so does the officials interpretation of calls. As it should. And in our division, coaches understand this. Yes, we may complain at times, but try to quickly remind ourselves these are young kids and VERY rarely does the quality of officiating have an impact on the outcome of these games.

I can imagine in this case, with the losing team getting shellacked and the inability for kids to score at this age, you can count the bucket and move on and many parents, and coaches would understand. Unfortunately, if it is called as it should...no shot...Rollo still gets an earful either way. I can't remember the order of importance...but as the kids get older it is red light on scoreboard, clock, horn...something like that...may have it wrong. Tournament formats are hard on officials with games typically having a briefcase clock on a scorers table versus one on the wall. You almost have to go with the horn as you can't watch play on the court and view the clock.

At these ages, parents need to realize they are spectators during the hour long games. Not coaches, not officials, not parents (unless your kid gets hurt). Be a spectator during the game, coach and parent your kid after the game...and address issues with coaches at the appropriate time.

College officials have the luxury of the blowing of the whistle electronically stopping the clock and being able to activate it with a switch on their belt. They also have the luxury of backboard lights, multiple horns, multiple clocks, etc...Youth officials...good luck with a scoreboard working at times.

Last edited by shocka43; 01-22-2019 at 11:03 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (01-23-2019), Gazoo (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 07:10 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Since the question is: "what call would you make?" the answer is easy...basket is good!

Good refs take into account time and situation...
Old 01-23-2019, 09:10 AM
Captain

MikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to beholdMikeFlyer is a splendid one to behold
Are you being facious? Have you ever seen a 3rd grade basketball game? Or any other sporting event?
Posted via Mobile Device
I'll assume you mean factious. No I don't watch 3rd graders. I am old, seen and played lots of sports, rules are rules.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:48 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,858 Times in 719 Posts
sheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond repute
If you allow the basket to count, you harm Blue's defensive efficiency numbers and therefore their NET. It could affect their seeding in the CYO tournament. It could be the difference between going to the First Four at Corpus Christi or playing closer to home at Holy Angels on the second weekend.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to sheg For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (01-23-2019), CT Flyer (01-23-2019), Gazoo (01-23-2019), IAFlyer (01-23-2019), MikeFlyer (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 11:01 AM

I'll assume you mean factious. No I don't watch 3rd graders. I am old, seen and played lots of sports, rules are rules.
Actually I meant 'facetious' because I thought you were joking.

My call will be explained at 2:30 after the poll closes.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:38 PM

Final Poll: 13 say wave it off; 9 say count it.

I royally applaud the 9 UDPriders who have a heart, soul and understanding of the entire role an official has when reffing a game.

I'm not going to lecture the masses here, I'm only going to say what I've told any number of CYO parents as they scream at me for not calling a dragged foot (travel) or missed dribble (double dribble or palming) in a blow-out game; "Only a complete *sshole would call that".

FWIW, the white coach was very appreciative of the break and the blue coach laughed at the parents who boo'd me and completely agreed with the call. As I told him, that may be the 'only basket he's scored all year' or it may be the 'only basket his grandparents will see' him make. With everyone in total agreement, the 2nd half went great, Blue won by a lot and some kid - as a White parent told me - was going to get ice cream from his parents for the ride home. (shouldn't I get some, too???)

(FWIW, if the basket would have been a difference maker, I'd have waved it off. )

King Rollo the Hell of a Nice Guy....OUT!

Last edited by rollo; 01-23-2019 at 02:46 PM..
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to rollo For This Totally Excellent Post:
cj (01-23-2019), ClaytonFlyerFan (01-23-2019), jack72 (01-23-2019), MikeFlyer (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 03:11 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Final Poll: 13 say wave it off; 9 say count it.

I royally applaud the 9 UDPriders who have a heart, soul and understanding of the entire role an official has when reffing a game.

I'm not going to lecture the masses here, I'm only going to say what I've told any number of CYO parents as they scream at me for not calling a dragged foot (travel) or missed dribble (double dribble or palming) in a blow-out game; "Only a complete *sshole would call that".

FWIW, the white coach was very appreciative of the break and the blue coach laughed at the parents who boo'd me and completely agreed with the call. As I told him, that may be the 'only basket he's scored all year' or it may be the 'only basket his grandparents will see' him make. With everyone in total agreement, the 2nd half went great, Blue won by a lot and some kid - as a White parent told me - was going to get ice cream from his parents for the ride home. (shouldn't I get some, too???)

(FWIW, if the basket would have been a difference maker, I'd have waved it off. )

King Rollo the Hell of a Nice Guy....OUT!
A kindler, gentler Rollo?
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
MikeFlyer (01-23-2019), rollo (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 03:14 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,557 Times in 3,702 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
A kindler, gentler Rollo?
Rollo, MAGA!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
MikeFlyer (01-23-2019), rollo (01-23-2019)