UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 01-27-2019, 11:11 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Fordham coach speaks

Let me just say that this coach has a tough job facing reporters after a beat down like yesterday at the hands of the Flyers. His approach is the polar opposite of Dan Burt. But neither style can change the results.

He was effusive in his praise of the Flyers. Maybe more than we deserved at times. He was searching for words to describe how to deal with Obi and basically was at a loss to come up with anything. Very complimentary how we spread the scoring and threw a kiss at our guards and FRANKIE by name! Said our defense in the first half gave them no way to get inside.

https://bleacherreport.com/fordham-basketball

Interesting how he held it together while reflecting, as Chris said, how many close losses they have had. And then take a whooping like we put on them to go to 9-11 on the year.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
FIFO28 (01-27-2019), Justin (01-29-2019), Lifelong Flyer Fan (01-27-2019), UDTradition (01-28-2019), wes (01-29-2019)
Advertisement
Old 01-27-2019, 05:53 PM
Major

66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of
Thanks for this link. I tried to get some Fordham feedback after the game, only to find out that the fan board I usually check had been shut down due to too many nasty posts.
I agree that it was very cool to hear the coach praise Frankie along with Josh and Obi.
Old 01-27-2019, 06:15 PM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
good to see there are still reporters covering Fordham
Old 01-29-2019, 07:49 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Flyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond repute
I have been to Fordham basketball games v. UD and others with Fordham graduates. We lost there when Tony Stanley was playing, The gym hurts recruiting badly. The campus is very nice and near the Italian Arthur Avenue section but the surrounding areas are not great.

They have had different coaches with experience with the same lack of result. Bob Hill, the ex-pro, was a disaster. The present coach is from Eastern Kentucky, I think. Maybe they should try a successful high school coach from the area who knows the metropolitan high school scene.

The A10 wanted Fordham in the league to give it a New York metropolitan area presence in the same way the Big 10 took in Rutgers. With A10 affiliation, it would be good if Fordham could recruit at least one or two top 100 recruits from the NY, NJ, Conn. areas. However, their recruiting competition is St. Johns, Seton Hall. Even from Catholic HS programs of which there are many in the area. They get no publicity in NY newspapers because they have no success. Seems like 9-11 is a successful year for Fordham so far.

Was nice of the coach to compliment our players. Maybe factor that none of our coaches, past or present, demeaned Fordham or its gym.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:35 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,956 Times in 534 Posts
shapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond repute
In 1994 Fordham left the (then) non-scholarship Patriot League and joined the A10.

In the 24 seasons since then, they have a winning A-10 record in 2 seasons. Both were over a decade ago when Whittenburg was their head coach. They have won 4 or fewer conference games in 16 of those 24 season. They have fired all five of their coaches.

Perhaps the Patriot League is a better fit for Fordham. Of course now that the Patriot League offers scholarships, that may be over their head also.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shapanud For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (01-29-2019), jack72 (01-29-2019), Radar (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 10:39 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
In 2013, the A10 chose to not have the bottom 4 teams play in the A10 tournament in Brooklyn. Not just play the first game at a campus site but rather not play at all. On March 9, 2013, Fordham went on the road and beat Saint Bonaventure. Earlier that day the Flyers had lost to GW in OT. A win would have kept the Flyers out of the bottom 4. By virtue of losing, the Flyers needed Fordham to win in order to play in Brooklyn. The Flyers went on to lose to Butler in their first game in Brooklyn. However, I am forever indebted to Fordham because they spared me the embarrassment of going to watch a tournament that my team did not qualify to play in.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerdube (01-30-2019), superfan99 (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 12:04 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,693 Times in 2,511 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
In 2013, the A10 chose to not have the bottom 4 teams play in the A10 tournament in Brooklyn. Not just play the first game at a campus site but rather not play at all. On March 9, 2013, Fordham went on the road and beat Saint Bonaventure. Earlier that day the Flyers had lost to GW in OT. A win would have kept the Flyers out of the bottom 4. By virtue of losing, the Flyers needed Fordham to win in order to play in Brooklyn. The Flyers went on to lose to Butler in their first game in Brooklyn. However, I am forever indebted to Fordham because they spared me the embarrassment of going to watch a tournament that my team did not qualify to play in.
I remember it well. I believe that was AM’s second year as coach (just for a little perspective).
Mad Props to TA111 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 12:48 PM
1st Lieutenant

Wallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant future
Fordham has had some good players go through there recently. Chartouny was a stud, Sengfelder was solid, Paschal was a stud. They just can't seem to keep any of them around long enough to form a cohesive unit.

Fordham might get better, but there's zero evidence to suggest that they will. I'd love for the A10 to kick them out, along with LaSalle at the least. The thing is even from Fordham's perspective its a pretty easy case to make that they would really be better served in a lower conference. Getting beaten up year after year can't be helpful.
Mad Props to Wallage For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 02:05 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Flyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond repute
On January 20, 2017 in The Washington Post, John Feinstein wrote an article about Fordham's basketball history back to 1971 when it was coached by Digger Phelps. Worth reading.

I was at the game in Madison Square Garden when Fordham lost in overtime to #2 Marquette, who had Dean Memminger and Jim Chones. One of the best basketball games I ever saw. Truth is if game had been played on a neutral court, I think Marquette would have won handily.

In his article, Mr. Feinstein calls Rose Hill gym, "one of college basketball's hidden gems..." I am not so sure about that.

The A10 has a vested interest in Fordham doing well or at least being representative but how much longer can that hope go on. A10 has teams in Philadelphia, Massachusettes, Washington, DC, Rhode Island, NY State. How can it not have one in metropolitan area to draw attention to the league. With alumni in the area, all those other A10 teams would draw well when playing Fordham. Being unsuccessful, Fordham has not been able to play in MSG or Barclay center on a regular, if at all, basis.

With Fordham's history, it's a shame.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:44 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer68 View Post
On January 20, 2017 in The Washington Post, John Feinstein wrote an article about Fordham's basketball history back to 1971 when it was coached by Digger Phelps. Worth reading.

I was at the game in Madison Square Garden when Fordham lost in overtime to #2 Marquette, who had Dean Memminger and Jim Chones. One of the best basketball games I ever saw. Truth is if game had been played on a neutral court, I think Marquette would have won handily.

In his article, Mr. Feinstein calls Rose Hill gym, "one of college basketball's hidden gems..." I am not so sure about that.

The A10 has a vested interest in Fordham doing well or at least being representative but how much longer can that hope go on. A10 has teams in Philadelphia, Massachusettes, Washington, DC, Rhode Island, NY State. How can it not have one in metropolitan area to draw attention to the league. With alumni in the area, all those other A10 teams would draw well when playing Fordham. Being unsuccessful, Fordham has not been able to play in MSG or Barclay center on a regular, if at all, basis.

With Fordham's history, it's a shame.
Step 1: Remove/Replace Fordham in the A10. Easier said than done I know.
Step 2: Fordham, lose the gym. Turn it over to the undergrads for Yoga classes or Sunday Mass.
Step 3: Build something resembling a Div 1 facility. Another Trent Arena will do, just ask GW, SJU and LaSalle.
Step 4: Dayton bolts for greener conference pastures, Fordham gains re-entry into A10.
Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
SeasonTicketFan (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 03:04 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,182 Times in 579 Posts
Bill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond repute
Having an on campus is not the answer. Seton Hall's on campus facility, Walsh Gymnasium, is nothing to write home about. However, The Hall plays their home games at the Pru Center in Newark, not far from their campus in South Orange. St. John's also doesn't have a great on campus facility either, but they play their "bigger" profile games at Madison Square Garden. That being said both St. John's and Seton Hall's on campus facilities are better than Fordham's. Also Providence and Georgetown don't play in an on campus facility and Nova plays their "bigger" games off campus. Fordham has played some of their home games outside of Rose Hill in the past. I remember attending a Fordham - UD game there a few years ago as part of a double header at Madison Square Garden....St. John's - Cincinnati in the other game. Fordham has also played games at the Meadowlands, or whatever it now called. Problem is they just don't draw enough to warrant renting those facilities. It is cost prohibitive.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:56 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

So much for Rose Hill being "one of college basketball's hidden gems."
Old 01-29-2019, 05:00 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer68 View Post
So much for Rose Hill being "one of college basketball's hidden gems."
It's so hidden that not even their own fans know where it is.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:30 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,316 Times in 1,328 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
It's so hidden that not even their own fans know where it is.
Well it was old out on Saturday...oh that's right 60% of the crowd were UD fans.