Comment

Article Tools Display Modes
Watching and Waiting
Watching and Waiting
Jim Meadows
Published by Swampy Meadows
03-23-2008
Watching and Waiting

BEVERLY HILLS (MI) -- Happy Easter! While we are waiting for Monday night to roll around, why don't we all chew on some of this:

-- If this ain't the most useful website for any sports fan, I don't know what is: Sports Illustrated has (wisely) opened up their vault and made available every single article that has ever appeared in SI:

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/

There are something like 92 different articles that mention "Dayton" in them, but some of those are "Faces in the Crowd" items about people from the Gem City.

-- The most touching UD story was written by Seth Davis and concerned OP having to inform Tony Stanley that his mom had died, right before a game in the Maui Invitational in 2000. Here's a direct link to that one:

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.c...1268/index.htm

-- Dr. Jack Kevorkian has just announced that he is going to run for a seat in Congress from my district in Michigan.

Wait for it.

Wait for it.

I'm just dying to vote for him!

-- Let's see: UD, a school from the Atlantic 10 which has a sucky long-term deal with CSTV, makes it to the NIT and so the ESPN Family of Networks has to decide where to show the Flyers' games. Can you say the equally distribution-challenged "ESPNU?"

Coincidence? I don't think so.

-- If you get tired of all the negativity that can sometimes permeate the free UD Pride MB, there is a place you can go to escape:

Pride Plus.

For a modest membership fee you help to keep this place running and get to talk Flyer Hoops without being bombarded by trolls, Xavier fans or the like.

-- Okay, so I'm a die-hard Red Sox fan, I'll be the first to admit it. But answer me this: why would a supposed national publication like USA Weekend allow some NY Yankmee fanboy named Bryan Tucker to pen drek like this and then publish it:

http://www.usaweekend.com/08_issues/...r-red-sox.html

This crap is listed as "Humor." If that is what it is really supposed to be, I ain't laughin', cowboy.

-- Meanwhile, the Spankees have announced that front row seats in the new Yankee Stadium will go for a mere $2,500 each. Since nobody goes to a ballgame by themselves, that makes it $5,000 for the pair or $405,000 for the season...for baseball tickets! Now that, my friends, is comedy! What is even funnier is that all 120 of them are already sold out.

-- The defending World Series Champs open the MLB season Tuesday morning at 6:05AM on ESPN2 in the Tokyo Dome, with homeboy Dice K doing the pitching honors for the Sawx. Yup, I'll be up and watching.

-- Interesting article on how BG almost became the coach of our next NIT opponent:

http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2...c323466560.txt

Tip of the hat to Matt Schwade for the heads up on this one.

-- The latest stop on the "Tiger Woods Victory Tour" this weekend is taking place at the Blue Monster course at Doral. I played it, as well as the White Shark track, when I was in Miami on business several years ago and it was hard to determine which one was the more masochistic 18. My dad used to vacation every winter at Doral and he enjoyed fly fishing in the many lakes that dot the courses almost as much as he did the golf.

-- Is this cool or what: an exploding star that burst half-way across the universe, 7.5 billion light years away from us and was actually visible to the naked eye:

http://news.aol.com/story/_a/distant...21184809990001

As Alan Parsons asked on his album "The Time Machine" if someone was standing on that star and looking back at us here on Earth, right before the explosion happened "which of those is now?" Only problem with that query is that according to the article, the Earth hadn't even been formed yet!

-- I really hope that UD gets to play tOSU on Wednesday -- Go Flyers!

That's it "From the Swamp."
You can email me at: swampy@udpride.com
Article Tools
By udx2 on 03-23-2008, 05:09 PM
Thank you for providing this collection of material.

Spending a holiday weekend away from home allows time to review things like the Sports Illustrated archive. Great material.

The only point where I disagree is your comment about Bryan Tucker. I thought he was right on. Now I may be slightly prejudiced because I grew up in New Jersey and remain completely devoted to the YANKEES. I was hardly alone at UD in my YANKEES devotion because in the late 60s and early 70s it seemed like a good third of UD came from NY or NJ. "Seemed" is the operative term. Maybe we were just a tad louder and more noticeable.

Hope you have a great Easter.
By Swampy Meadows on 03-23-2008, 06:30 PM
UDx2:

My problem with Bryan's piece is that:

a) it appeared in a national pub. NY Post? Fine. USA Weekend? I got issues.

b) it ain't funny.
By Gem City on 03-24-2008, 11:03 AM
Axis of Evil

As a life long Reds Fan, I was unable to stomach reading yet another Red Sox vs. Yankees article.

If the Yankees are the Evil Empire, then the Red Sox are part of the Axis of Evil. Ah, two franchises that have managed to ruin the game of baseball as we know it. Thank you Red Sox and Yankees for reducing baseball to an off season spending spree.
By Medford on 03-24-2008, 12:39 PM
Swampy, I may have missed it, but I couldn't find a way to link directly to this whole story from the front page.

I couldn't find it, but is there an article from UD's NCAA finals appearance in that SI link? Seems like I must have missed things as you make it sound like you could do a search by all things Dayton. I couldn't find that search, but only spent a few minutes.

agree on the yankees-redsox things. Sure I understand its huge to a lot of people who have a strong passion for the rivalry, but its just one more thing in the long list of things that have annoyed me at ESPN the last 4-8 years. Used to have a great central package w/ a bunch of highlights and solid analysis. Now it seems like they focus all their effort on a limited number of highlights, half-assed analysis by some "pretty" boy with out much of a clue and some trumped up idea like "who's now"

ESPN used to be must watch television for me in highschool and especially in college. I'd fall asleep with it on many nights, and watch it again when waking up. Now I only catch it when its convienent, and realize that even when UD was ranked, the chaces of UD getting much coverage on sportscenter was only slightly better than the local JV hockey team getting some pub in the DDN.

anyhoo, thanks for the SI link, it looks pretty cool.
By Swampy Meadows on 03-24-2008, 02:50 PM
Medford:

Here is the direct link to the 1967 UCLA/UD story, written by Frank Deford:

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.c...9690/index.htm
Comment

Article Tools