Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2023, 01:18 PM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I want AG to succeed as Dayton's coach. I think most everyone would agree he's a good defensive coach and recruiter.

Why not rebuild/retool the offense in the offseason. If you need to bring a new assistant to help install than so be it.

There's 12 seasons of data points that AG's offense isn't getting it done outside of having a lottery pick.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
bcross (01-23-2023), Beatty Town Coach (01-24-2023), CT Flyer (01-23-2023), Jack D (01-23-2023)
Advertisement
Old 01-23-2023, 01:21 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,328 Times in 1,078 Posts
longtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flyer016 View Post
Disagree. X is in the Big East due to the recent sustained success they've had. Dayton and X were effectively on equal footing in the 2000s, and we know who had more success. If Thad Matter or Sean Miller lay an egg, I strongly doubt they're in the Big East.

Why is Butler in the Big East? They had less status than Dayton until they really started cooking with Stevens.

It is very much a "What have you done for me lately?" industry. Dayton simply hasn't done enough (save the Archie Miller years).
As long as X is in the Big East, Dayton will never be in it. Dayton hasn't been on equal footing with X since the early to middle 70's at best.
Old 01-23-2023, 01:23 PM
Major General

longtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
I want AG to succeed as Dayton's coach. I think most everyone would agree he's a good defensive coach and recruiter.

Why not rebuild/retool the offense in the offseason. If you need to bring a new assistant to help install than so be it.

There's 12 seasons of data points that AG's offense isn't getting it done outside of having a lottery pick.
Better recruiting IS the key to better success. Do you think coach K or Bill Self builds their offenses around 3 star recruits?
Old 01-23-2023, 01:26 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,145 Times in 598 Posts
bcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by longtimefan67 View Post
Better recruiting IS the key to better success. Do you think coach K or Bill Self builds their offenses around 3 star recruits?
And if better recruiting only leads to 1 NCAA appearance in 6 seasons, what does that say about the coaching?
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to bcross For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (01-23-2023), m21eagle45 (01-23-2023), OSU Flyer (01-23-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 01:27 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CoffeeCan View Post
The UD basketball program reminds me of how the Cubs were looked at before they won the World Series

Very loyal fan base
Rich history
Legendary players
Great place to watch a game
A great year or two sandwiched by several average years
Wait til next year mentality
I guess Jake Arrieta would be their Obi Toppin as the player nobody saw coming?
Old 01-23-2023, 01:33 PM
General

OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Assuming UD doesn't win the A10 tourney (hopefully they do)

Mark Schmidt and the Bonnies will have been to the NCAAs twice in the last 6 years since AG took over with lower rated recruits, fewer resources, drastically worse facilities and a program that every objective level is below UD

AG had the highest rated recruit in UD history and potential first round pick. Real possibility he doesn't parlay that into a tourney bid
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (01-23-2023), m21eagle45 (01-23-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 01:44 PM
Major General

Assuming UD doesn't win the A10 tourney (hopefully they do)

Mark Schmidt and the Bonnies will have been to the NCAAs twice in the last 6 years since AG took over with lower rated recruits, fewer resources, drastically worse facilities and a program that every objective level is below UD

AG had the highest rated recruit in UD history and potential first round pick. Real possibility he doesn't parlay that into a tourney bid
Yes that is possible; he'd join such outstanding players like Brian Robert and Jim Paxson just to name a few of outstanding/NBA quality players that never made an NCAA - assuming he leaves after this year. I don't think he will. That "highest rated recruit in UD history" is on record saying that the 19-20 got his attention and directly led him to eventually considering/going to Dayton. Nobody knows what happens over the next 6 weeks other than the players.

Everyone goes on and on railing me for AG's "one great season", meanwhile the previous coach got us there 4 straight. Yes, true statement. How many believed Dayton had a realistic chance of advancing in any of those 4 appearances to the Final 4? Me, not one time. At best in any of those years I hoped for a sweet 16. One year Dayton made the Final 8 and was very fortunate to do so - which is how it is as a Cinderella team.
Old 01-23-2023, 02:04 PM
1st Lieutenant

foolishpride is a jewel in the roughfoolishpride is a jewel in the roughfoolishpride is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by flyerfanatic86 View Post
I have plenty of ideas of coaches that would do better, but if I throw them out here then it becomes a debate about their merits and shifts focus from the problem that needs to be addressed first. Acknowledging that Grant probably isn't the guy is the first step a weird number of people are struggling to admit.

And really, I'm in no position to "fix it" even if I do have all the answers. That's on Neil. And again, if he can't, then why is he the one in that seat?
Chris Mack?
Old 01-23-2023, 03:25 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,324 Times in 443 Posts
Runnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by udscott View Post
This is becoming embarrassing, first 2 years not his guys, next 2 years Covid, last year all freshman, this year injuries, excuses have to stop folks PLEASE
Posted via Mobile Device

Dude, we get it already.

Pretty sure every poster here already knows your opinion... yet after every loss, you feel the need to post another anti-Grant post?

What is your goal in continuing these same posts before the season is even completed?

Are you trying to rile up the other posters, to get them to join you on the anti-Grant bandwagon?

Or is it something more personal, like Grant cut you during walk-on tryouts?

Either way... when Grant spoke of "mental health issues", I originally thought he was speaking of his players and coaches - but now I'm thinking he may have been talking about you.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Runnin' Rebel For This Totally Excellent Post:
longtimefan67 (01-23-2023), Monster Man (01-23-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 03:32 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,413 Times in 670 Posts
flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by foolishpride View Post
Chris Mack?
That would be hilarious and probably better than Grant as far as success is concerned. But I'd prefer... other options.
Old 01-23-2023, 03:34 PM
Brigadier General

flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
Yes that is possible; he'd join such outstanding players like Brian Robert and Jim Paxson just to name a few of outstanding/NBA quality players that never made an NCAA - assuming he leaves after this year. I don't think he will.
If he doesn't, I worry what the odds are that he transfers someplace willing to drop a very large bag of cash in his lap and that has proven consistent results when it comes to developing NBA players.
Old 01-23-2023, 03:52 PM
General

Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
If he doesn't, I worry what the odds are that he transfers someplace willing to drop a very large bag of cash in his lap and that has proven consistent results when it comes to developing NBA players.
No matter what happens, I doubt seriously he is a Flyer next season. It just makes sense that if he's not NBA ready, that he considers that he's learned all there is to learn from Grant and to move to another coach who has a better track record of developing NBA players.

Also, in this new environment of NIL and immediate transfer eligibility, the Flyers have to determine how they want to recruit. Because getting 2 and dones probably isn't going to work. 1 and 2 and dones usually come from top 15 recruits, not 50. So they give you a lot more early on and a chance to go far. Do they want senior leadership, well in the new world they only get that from transfers that aren't good enough to play pro after their junior seasons.

It was so simple a couple years ago. The big schools got the 1 and 2 and dones and the Dayton's got the great equalizer which was seniors that spend 4 years in the system. Now instead of 1 and 2 and dones, the big schools can pilfer from the Daytons.

If we go for more DaRons, chances are we get their two development years and the P5 will get the payoff.

Last edited by Smitty10; 01-23-2023 at 04:03 PM..
Old 01-23-2023, 03:58 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,763 Times in 928 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
I think the fact that we are still "debating" anything tells you all you need to know. There is apparently no limit to the number of season-hopes-crushing losses this fan base is willing to accept.
Old 01-23-2023, 03:58 PM
Major General

Yep, that's the world we live in now. NIL is in the process of ruining NCAA sports in my opinion (if it hasn't been irrevocably broken already) because basically what the "big boys" have done all along, now anybody can legally do - and they are. What's now left is that every player you have can leave and go somewhere anytime they want no matter how happy they may currently be just because they get an "Offer they can't refuse". I guess this is where "quality" of player character becomes even more important. You can potentially lose all 5 of your starters that it may have taken 2-3 years to attain just because some other team has boosters with unlimited pockets.
Old 01-23-2023, 04:22 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by hawkoooo View Post
I think the fact that we are still "debating" anything tells you all you need to know. There is apparently no limit to the number of season-hopes-crushing losses this fan base is willing to accept.
Lots of ups and downs this season; mostly downs in the form of injuries which led to a slow start and lots of adjustments without your primary pg. All that really matters for this team is to be playing well by the end of the season. Losses don't matter at this point as much as getting the team to play well as projected before the season began. If that happens between now and then, they'll get a first round bye, possibly 2 round A10 bye and win 3 and make the dance.

Losses in the context of "there aren't any injuries, the team is sliding and nobody cares" is one thing, but having a legit reasons for it is another. One could almost argue that had they played without Mali and Kobe at GW, they may have played better due to continuance of how they played without them but they gotta get back in at some point. Season Crushing loses are irrelevant at this point unless it's in the A10 tournament.
Old 01-23-2023, 05:03 PM
Brigadier General

Yep, that's the world we live in now. NIL is in the process of ruining NCAA sports in my opinion (if it hasn't been irrevocably broken already) because basically what the "big boys" have done all along, now anybody can legally do - and they are. What's now left is that every player you have can leave and go somewhere anytime they want no matter how happy they may currently be just because they get an "Offer they can't refuse". I guess this is where "quality" of player character becomes even more important. You can potentially lose all 5 of your starters that it may have taken 2-3 years to attain just because some other team has boosters with unlimited pockets.
If he leaves it won't be because of the "quality" of his character. He turned down money this season to return. It will be because he doesn't believe this coaching staff can get him to the next level and another coach will. DaRon has shown repeatedly it isn't about the money, it's about the league. People better not dump on him if that's where this ends up.

I'm still hoping he's a first round pick from the University of Dayton. Half of the people on this board saying he isn't NBA ready like to brag about how they don't watch the NBA because they can't stand the style of play.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to flyerfanatic86 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Marysville Flyer (01-26-2023), TX Flyer (01-24-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 05:26 PM
General

If he leaves it won't be because of the "quality" of his character. He turned down money this season to return. It will be because he doesn't believe this coaching staff can get him to the next level and another coach will. DaRon has shown repeatedly it isn't about the money, it's about the league. People better not dump on him if that's where this ends up.

I'm still hoping he's a first round pick from the University of Dayton. Half of the people on this board saying he isn't NBA ready like to brag about how they don't watch the NBA because they can't stand the style of play.
So where do you stand. You're throwing shade at people saying he's not NBA ready, do you think he is? Because I don't follow the NBA and I don't think he's half as ready as Obi looked. And if he does pick it up and starts walloping on this pathetic conference, he better get us to the NCAA tourney and wallop on better quality before an NBA team considers picking him in the 1st round.

Let's keep in mind that a lot of NBA 1st round draft picks don't come from college anymore.
Old 01-23-2023, 05:56 PM
Colonel

udscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Runnin' Rebel View Post

Dude, we get it already.

Pretty sure every poster here already knows your opinion... yet after every loss, you feel the need to post another anti-Grant post?

What is your goal in continuing these same posts before the season is even completed?

Are you trying to rile up the other posters, to get them to join you on the anti-Grant bandwagon?

Or is it something more personal, like Grant cut you during walk-on tryouts?

Either way... when Grant spoke of "mental health issues", I originally thought he was speaking of his players and coaches - but now I'm thinking he may have been talking about you.
Maybe if AG could beat the #168th ranked team in the country then we would not have had this post, do u realize our best wins this year off the top of my head are Wyoming, Duquesne, and Fordham LMAO
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-23-2023, 06:12 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,488 Times in 763 Posts
N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flyer016 View Post
Disagree. X is in the Big East due to the recent sustained success they've had. Dayton and X were effectively on equal footing in the 2000s, and we know who had more success. If Thad Matter or Sean Miller lay an egg, I strongly doubt they're in the Big East.

Why is Butler in the Big East? They had less status than Dayton until they really started cooking with Stevens.

It is very much a "What have you done for me lately?" industry. Dayton simply hasn't done enough (save the Archie Miller years).
As long as X is in the Big East, Dayton will never be in it. Dayton hasn't been on equal footing with X since the early to middle 70's at best.
Disagree. X is in the Big East because they begged Marquette to let them in. X was winning, true, but they were (and to some extent still are) in shaky financial shape and the BE was concerned about their long term viability. As for the future, I think outside forces (TV, cable, streaming services, etc) will have a far greater voice than X will. This is about $$$$, nothing else.
Old 01-23-2023, 06:14 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Let me re-phrase that to "building a program without the drama associated with the previous coach". Building a program that isn't constantly embarrassing from off court antics.
Revisionist history.

For clarification...a school like UD needs more than 6 seasons to build a program?

The program has been here.

Last edited by shocka43; 01-23-2023 at 06:16 PM..
Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
m21eagle45 (01-23-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 06:21 PM

shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Some of these posts make me think some are just happy to wake up in the morning versus accomplishing something over the course of the day.
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
bcross (01-24-2023), ClaytonFlyerFan (01-25-2023), Clear Prop (01-23-2023), hawkoooo (01-24-2023), m21eagle45 (01-23-2023), TXFlyerFan (01-23-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 07:00 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,556 Times in 3,701 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post
Some of these posts make me think some are just happy to wake up in the morning versus accomplishing something over the course of the day.
Typical attitude of the younger generation, the struggle is real.

Enjoy the next couple years, when you hit the big 50 it is all down hill.
Old 01-23-2023, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post
Typical attitude of the younger generation, the struggle is real.

Enjoy the next couple years, when you hit the big 50 it is all down hill.
Not far brother.
Old 01-23-2023, 08:47 PM
Major General

I’ve accomplished plenty in my life- but my happiness isn’t all-encompassing on the success of the Flyers. I want them to win but don’t brood for days when they lose or constantly criticize the coach. If you want a coaching change, you’ll get your wish eventually. I’ve sat through at least 20+ years following the Flyers at various time coached by a coach I didn’t care for. It happens, cope.
Old 01-23-2023, 09:51 PM
Colonel

Furio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant future
https://247sports.com/college/notre-...ame-203326841/

Potential candidate list for the notre dame job.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Furio For This Totally Excellent Post:
longtimefan67 (01-24-2023), UDEE79 (01-24-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 07:55 AM
Major General

Originally Posted by Furio View Post

Careful, you're about to explode a bunch of brains on this board.
Mad Props to longtimefan67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (01-24-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 08:44 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,324 Times in 443 Posts
Runnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting... no mention of Anthony Solomon, currently their Associate head coach.
Mad Props to Runnin' Rebel For This Totally Excellent Post:
SeasonTicketFan (01-24-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 10:06 AM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
So where do you stand. You're throwing shade at people saying he's not NBA ready, do you think he is? Because I don't follow the NBA and I don't think he's half as ready as Obi looked. And if he does pick it up and starts walloping on this pathetic conference, he better get us to the NCAA tourney and wallop on better quality before an NBA team considers picking him in the 1st round.

Let's keep in mind that a lot of NBA 1st round draft picks don't come from college anymore.
I'm no NBA scout, but I can picture him being a very good defensive player in the NBA with upside offensively. He won't have to deal with double/triple teams like he does now, but he's also going to go up against guys that are just as big/bigger than him, which is my biggest concern right now. But he's still young and has plenty of room to continue to grow stronger.

So idk if he will be drafted, and I have very little insight into other players he's competing with for those spots outside of the top few obvious lottery picks. But I don't think it's an absurd notion if he gets picked.
Old 01-24-2023, 10:16 AM
Major General

I'm no NBA scout, but I can picture him being a very good defensive player in the NBA with upside offensively. He won't have to deal with double/triple teams like he does now, but he's also going to go up against guys that are just as big/bigger than him, which is my biggest concern right now. But he's still young and has plenty of room to continue to grow stronger.

So idk if he will be drafted, and I have very little insight into other players he's competing with for those spots outside of the top few obvious lottery picks. But I don't think it's an absurd notion if he gets picked.
Kostas got picked like #59 - of course I know big brother had something to do with that 2nd round pick but Daron is MILES above Kostas in terms of development and work ethic so I'd say it's very possible he's a first rounder this year.
Old 01-24-2023, 10:24 AM

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Runnin' Rebel View Post
Interesting... no mention of Anthony Solomon, currently their Associate head coach.
I was under the impression that Anthony Solomon went to Notre Dame in the hopes of lining to be Brey’s successor. He knew Bret was going to retire soon.

These articles are always speculative and really lack inside information early on.

Most coaching hidings use search firms.
Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (01-24-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 10:55 AM
General

Fair enough. But keep in mind there's a risk here that he might not want to take. It sure looks like he's still got a lot to learn pre-NBA. Entering the draft and falling to the 2nd round is a real possibility. He has to weigh that risk as to would he want to take a chance this year and fall to 2nd round(which lots of time is comparable to being a 6th round pick in the NFL) or stay in college one more year hopiing to increase his chances as a first rounder next season. My opinion is he's better off playing another season in the NCAA(remember, Obi was 22 years old when he was drafted, while DaRon is still only 20). Of course, as said, if he does choose to stay in college, I think it's a no-brainer for him to transfer to P6.
Old 01-24-2023, 12:38 PM
General

@sullymygoodname
Found this stat interesting this morning:

Over the last 6 seasons, here's UDs record through the first 20 games:

2018: 10-10
2019: 13-7
2020: 18-2
2021: 12-8
2022: 13-7
2023: 13-7

The last UD team before that with less than 14 wins through 20 games? 2014 (13-7)

@sullymygoodname
We can remain hopeful for lightning in a bottle to strike in March (the month where miracles happen), but its not debatable that 5 out of 6 years going 13-7 or worse is simply not going to cut it at Dayton. If the 20 year drought ends in this years A10T, all will be forgiven.
Old 01-24-2023, 02:37 PM
Colonel

Furio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant future
2014 at that point in the season the wolves were calling for AM head.
Then they made the ncaa tourney and got to the elite 8.
Old 01-24-2023, 03:12 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,395 Times in 712 Posts
Beatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, but without the fake case against Kavanaugh, he graduates the previous year, and he is not on the 2014 team. Consequently, UD does not get in the NCAA Tournament, and they certainly do not make that tourney run without him. Not even remotely close!
Old 01-24-2023, 03:28 PM
Brigadier General

Beatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond repute
As for coach Grant, his offense suffers because he has moved too far away from traditional collegiate offense. His spacing is horrible. Holmes shouldn't spend the better half of positions out top on the three-point arc. Occasionally for a wrinkle, yes, and/or if the Flyers were running great pick and rolls, but that is not happening. When he gets the ball in the post, he is often waiting too long to make his move and beat his man; and, when the double and triple team comes, not enough good options are being presented by the remaining offensive players to make the opponent regret the commitment of two and three players. There is no slasher to the middle, and/or a strong cutter to the rack, largely because Grant's offense is not spaced properly, and players have not been instructed well on getting into scoring positions. Where are the kickouts on the same side, and where is the "OPPOSITE" SIDE SHOOTER...that just is not happening or available.
Mad Props to Beatty Town Coach For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (01-24-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 03:28 PM

Thanked 1,650 Times in 838 Posts
Canonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond repute
He's still the coach because he's a UD guy, a fine example for the players, and represents community above all the other stuff. That said it's been hard to remain positive given what is on paper versus the record. Hope they solve their yips or whatever they got because it's about to be February. Everybody needs to be matching Camara's energy and edge. That's for certain.

Last edited by Canonball; 01-24-2023 at 03:31 PM..
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Canonball For This Totally Excellent Post:
Beatty Town Coach (01-24-2023), Marysville Flyer (01-26-2023), Viperstick (01-25-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 03:47 PM
General of the Air Force

ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Beatty Town Coach View Post
As for coach Grant, his offense suffers because he has moved too far away from traditional collegiate offense. His spacing is horrible. Holmes shouldn't spend the better half of positions out top on the three-point arc. Occasionally for a wrinkle, yes, and/or if the Flyers were running great pick and rolls, but that is not happening. When he gets the ball in the post, he is often waiting too long to make his move and beat his man; and, when the double and triple team comes, not enough good options are being presented by the remaining offensive players to make the opponent regret the commitment of two and three players. There is no slasher to the middle, and/or a strong cutter to the rack, largely because Grant's offense is not spaced properly, and players have not been instructed well on getting into scoring positions. Where are the kickouts on the same side, and where is the "OPPOSITE" SIDE SHOOTER...that just is not happening or available.
Too add to this, when he does get the ball in the post, typically 5 seconds or less is all the remains on the shot clock, so no time for any of the options you outlined above.
Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (01-24-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 04:09 PM
Brigadier General

True Clayton, but then if Holmes has the ball on the block with five seconds left, two other players should be crashing the boards, while the other two are constantly looking for the open space to spot up; and they should be screaming with arm movements for the ball.

When a team with this much basic size and greater length and height than most of their opponents, be constantly getting out rebounded, and giving up massive points in the paint?????? Unbelievabllllleeeee!!!! The only two things that can explain this, are coaching and effort. Simple.

Last edited by Beatty Town Coach; 01-24-2023 at 04:12 PM..
Old 01-24-2023, 04:17 PM
Colonel

bcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond repute
2014 at that point in the season the wolves were calling for AM head.
Then they made the ncaa tourney and got to the elite 8.
We can bring up the the 2014 season year after year, but until AG can turn things around and reach the NCAA tournament, why would we expect this year to be different?
Old 01-24-2023, 04:56 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,596 Times in 750 Posts
CoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond repute
Let's say that CAG wanted to revamp the offense. Would it even be possible to make that happen now that we have seven weeks remaining
Old 01-24-2023, 05:13 PM
General

Let's say that CAG wanted to revamp the offense. Would it even be possible to make that happen now that we have seven weeks remaining
I think it would have to be an offseason project, preferably bringing an assistant to orchestrate
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-24-2023, 06:34 PM
General of the Air Force

I think it would have to be an offseason project, preferably bringing an assistant to orchestrate
Posted via Mobile Device
Short term solution...Get rid of his slow down/stop sign he gives Mike.

I have even noticed a few times when we are being pressed, we break the press and might have a 3 on 2 situation, and we still do not attack, instead we hold the ball on the wing and wait to set up the defense.

Last 5 minutes of the game, quit trying to milk the clock that results in a crappy shot as the shot clock goes off. I can not stand the conservative end of game approach that lead to blown leads (and I am not just talking about UD or basketball, I see it in football and from other teams as well)
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (01-24-2023), FLYER5 (01-27-2023), Jeff (01-24-2023), m21eagle45 (01-24-2023), Marysville Flyer (01-26-2023), rollo (01-24-2023)
Old 01-24-2023, 07:29 PM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute

I have even noticed a few times when we are being pressed, we break the press and might have a 3 on 2 situation, and we still do not attack, instead we hold the ball on the wing and wait to set up the defense.

Last 5 minutes of the game, quit trying to milk the clock that results in a crappy shot as the shot clock goes off. I can not stand the conservative end of game approach that lead to blown leads (and I am not just talking about UD or basketball, I see it in football and from other teams as well)
Agree we need to pick up the pace to an extent. I had made the point that perhaps Holmes was getting worn down as the last 10 games have been nothing but pound the ball inside. My observation was that picking spots/taking advantage of fast breaks or opportunities as you point out, night save a little wear on both Holmes & Camara. The risk with all out running is increasing turnovers. Which, when we run like crazy, flow like water.

The more I think of it, and I may be wrong, is that the years with Crutcher/Obi, were highlighted by some really good ball movement - not consistently pounding it in. There was an effort to get Obi the ball inside, but not 100%. There were times where you just watched the movement and went - "wow". The offense has slowly morphed (perhaps over the past two years) as a walk it up, side handoff practice. The past 10 games we really have pounded it inside.

I just cant help but wonder has the the manner the offense has been coached changed into something that is too predictable and easily defended.
Old 01-24-2023, 07:59 PM

Just think we had Anthony Solomon....
Old 01-24-2023, 10:52 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,314 Times in 1,327 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Agree we need to pick up the pace to an extent. I had made the point that perhaps Holmes was getting worn down as the last 10 games have been nothing but pound the ball inside. My observation was that picking spots/taking advantage of fast breaks or opportunities as you point out, night save a little wear on both Holmes & Camara. The risk with all out running is increasing turnovers. Which, when we run like crazy, flow like water.

The more I think of it, and I may be wrong, is that the years with Crutcher/Obi, were highlighted by some really good ball movement - not consistently pounding it in. There was an effort to get Obi the ball inside, but not 100%. There were times where you just watched the movement and went - "wow". The offense has slowly morphed (perhaps over the past two years) as a walk it up, side handoff practice. The past 10 games we really have pounded it inside.

I just cant help but wonder has the the manner the offense has been coached changed into something that is too predictable and easily defended.
The offense was slow prior to 2019 too.
Old 01-24-2023, 11:28 PM
General

So let me get this straight. You and especially Rollo(who liked your post) both think CAG is a great coach. Yet he can't see that the offense needs to be sped up but you two do.
Old 01-24-2023, 11:59 PM

Thanked 17,093 Times in 5,099 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
I would have loved to see us pick up the pace when we were down to basically 6.5 guys and Brady Uhl was coming off the bench. I would have popped some serious popcorn for that.

With numbers again however, its back on the table. We'll see what AG elects to do.

My tell-tale number is 37% from the arc. When we make perimeter shots we tend to win because it soften up the entire halfcourt inside and outside. Deuce can't get doubled as much because shooters are keeping defenses honest. When we're bricking however, they dare us and we often build a beautiful granite monument to the great outhouses of the modern world. Atlantis was a three-game expose' on what zero outside shooting can do to your chances. GW another example. Deuce and Camara can't charge Utah Beach alone.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Canonball (01-26-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 12:05 AM

Thanked 1,302 Times in 674 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
I would have loved to see us pick up the pace when we were down to basically 6.5 guys and Brady Uhl was coming off the bench. I would have popped some serious popcorn for that.

With numbers again however, its back on the table. We'll see what AG elects to do.

My tell-tale number is 37% from the arc. When we make perimeter shots we tend to win because it soften up the entire halfcourt inside and outside. Deuce can't get doubled as much because shooters are keeping defenses honest. When we're bricking however, they dare us and we often build a beautiful granite monument to the great outhouses of the modern world. Atlantis was a three-game expose' on what zero outside shooting can do to your chances. GW another example. Deuce and Camara can't charge Utah Beach alone.
Hard to hit 37% when you are the 254th ranked team at 3pt % and have one guy, who only plays part time, who shoots over that %.
Mad Props to TXFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
shocka43 (01-25-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 07:50 AM
Major

flybye is infamous around these parts
Here is the new offense... Pressure!! We have depth now and we are good at it! Rip the cover off and let the boys fly around. We are a Boring team that has lost its mojo. 4 straight games outrebounded and out hustled on Sat!! Let them go!!! Conference stinks play with force and pressure! Boring style get them going !
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to flybye For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (01-25-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 08:19 AM

Thanked 15,872 Times in 6,979 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
So let me get this straight. You and especially Rollo(who liked your post) both think CAG is a great coach.
Never said that. For the record, he's a very good coach and a better person.

Yet he can't see that the offense needs to be sped up but you two do.
As of a couple games ago, UD had the #1 scoring offense in the A10, so they were getting the ball up and down the court quickly. It's apparent (to me) that Grant's decision to slow down the offense coincided with Malachi and Elvis returning and it doesn't take a genius to believe that Grant doesn't want Malachi and/or Elvis to re-injure themselves by pushing the ball this soon.

Give it a few more games and we'll see them speed up.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to rollo For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (01-27-2023), longtimefan67 (01-25-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 08:25 AM
Major

I don’t think so, it’s all about who they are playing . Teams have figured out the post scoring so Grant has to adjust. The better teams VCU and Lol GW shut down the middle. Tape is out. Now this is an awful Rhody team there bigs are really bad let’s see if we can get Daron going . If the 3s don’t fall have to pick up the pace with pressure ! When you get outrebounded it hard to run..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2023, 08:27 AM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Beatty Town Coach View Post
Yes, but without the fake case against Kavanaugh,
Big yikes
Old 01-25-2023, 08:29 AM
Major

Also.... we have zero penetration. Mike can’t get in the lane . Notice no ally opps lately. Have to hand keys back to Mali when ready.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2023, 08:50 AM
Major General

Originally Posted by flybye View Post
Here is the new offense... Pressure!! We have depth now and we are good at it! Rip the cover off and let the boys fly around. We are a Boring team that has lost its mojo. 4 straight games outrebounded and out hustled on Sat!! Let them go!!! Conference stinks play with force and pressure! Boring style get them going !
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm sure that intense pressure is just what the doctor ordered for Kobe's knee; he'll thank you later after surgery in the off-season...

BTW, I listened in Monday night to the WHIO AG show at 7pm. Mali was on the show, Larry asked him point blank and Mali already mentioned his deferment of surgery to the off season so he's already in a delicate position. I'm assuming Kobe is maybe in a similar situation with his knee considering the brace he wears.

Last edited by longtimefan67; 01-25-2023 at 08:53 AM..
Mad Props to longtimefan67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (01-25-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 09:08 AM
General of the Air Force

So let me get this straight. You and especially Rollo(who liked your post) both think CAG is a great coach. Yet he can't see that the offense needs to be sped up but you two do.
So let me get this straight. You want to continue to take 8 1/2 seconds to slowly dribble the ball up the court, then make 5 passes around the perimeter including two to Holmes at the top of the key, then with 5 seconds left in the shot clock either pass to a wing for a desperation off balance shot or go into the post for Holmes being double teamed.

The A-10 says thank you, easiest team in the world to scout as is.

When I (and I assume others) say speed it up, we are not talking run and gun. We just want something to keep the sweater vest crowd from dozing off watching the first 25 seconds of each possession.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
m21eagle45 (01-25-2023), st marys (01-26-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 09:12 AM
Colonel

We've played at one of the slowest tempos in the NCAA all season. If anyone is too hurt to keep up with the snail's pace we play at, they probably shouldn't be playing at all.
Mad Props to bcross For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (01-25-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 09:15 AM
Lieutenant General

CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bcross View Post
We've played at one of the slowest tempos in the NCAA all season. If anyone is too hurt to keep up with the snail's pace we play at, they probably shouldn't be playing at all.
We've played at one of the slowest tempos in the NCAA since AG got here, save the 29-2 team.
Old 01-25-2023, 09:52 AM

Thanked 17,093 Times in 5,099 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
For whatever its worth:

In the 13 wins we're shooting 36% from three point range.
In the 7 losses we're shooting 25% from three point range.

Not only do we shoot better from trey in our wins, we make 1.5 more a game on 2.5 fewer attempts. That's 5-7 points right off the top depending on how the substituted 2pt attempts go down.

In our best seven offensive performances (not necessarily total points or winning but just overall play), we were 6-1. We shot a collective 43% from three point range in those contests:

7-16 (N) Wyoming
7-16 SELA
8-20 Duquesne
6-13 @Davidson
10-20 St. Joseph's
6-14 @Fordham
7-20 (N) BYUast

Now some of this is a self-fulfilling prophecy: you shoot better you win more games. But there's no doubt we've suffered a stark contrast in shooting well and shooting poorly with no consistency or middle ground. BYU is the only game we've lost where we shot solid from the arc -- all other things dismissed. Its a weathervane for this team that points to W when we are solid from the perimeter and L when we aren't. My secondary target metric is turnovers.

We lost the BYU game because we couldn't defend in the 2nd half and overtime after building a 25pt lead.

Overall we're shooting .466 overall and .323 from trey. The overall FG is very good, the three point line is still bad but a lot better than it was. Our opponents are shooting .381 overall and a miserable .272 from the arc -- we'll try to forget Kenny Powers going gonzo on us and BYU bombing us into oblivion after halftime. So percentage-wise, we're winning the battle of shooting accuracy even though it doesn't feel like it a lot of times.

Turnovers for easy transition baskets the other direction are likely making up this spread in shooting percentage. Our opponents have taken an unthinkable 20% more shots because we're committing 20% more turnovers....we're getting beat on volume and lot of those extra shots are easy transition baskets we did not have a chance to defend conventionally. Its even more painful because of the pace of play. When you're scoring in the 80s, 16-18 turnovers is tolerable, but there aren't enough possessions to make up for those blank possessions when our pace is so slow. Especially when you commit three turnovers in a row in 25 seconds to end a game.

For a turnover-prone team, its a definite risk to want to speed up play. Since it's a 3-4 game season now however, one could argue its a risk well worth taking to find something that works w/more bodies back. I'm open to any idea that works. If it doesn't you were stupid to even suggest it -- thats how we roll around here.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Old 01-25-2023, 10:01 AM
General

Agree with Clayton that picking up the pace doesn't mean some wild run and gun scheme. In 2015 when the roster was decimated, the Kenpom tempo rating was 229. This year it's 330. So it's definitely possible to player faster than this with a diminished roster

In the George Washington game when they were trying to mount a comeback, it's hard to claw back in when they're playing slow and limiting their possessions

Last edited by OSU Flyer; 01-25-2023 at 10:04 AM..
Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Jeff (01-25-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 10:17 AM
Lieutenant General

Is it possible that the offensive system itself is prone to turnovers and that playing at a better pace may actually help with the turnover problem?
Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Jeff (01-25-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 10:18 AM
General

This is not a good team in a halfcourt offense. The 2020 team had guys that make the extra pass that would take a good look to a great look. This team doesn't have the guys with the passing ability or the offensive basketball IQ to do that

If the easy buckets from Holmes aren't falling then things get dicey. There's a lack of shooters and guys who can create/attack the basket on the roster

Teams can win playing slow (Virginia, Houston) but they all have great execution in their half court offenses.

Playing slow and being forced to execute a halfcourt offense without shooters or lot of gifted offensive players is a tall task
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CvilleFlyer (01-25-2023), Jeff (01-25-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 10:21 AM
Major

Great post Chris... now tonite is fools gold.. Rhody is so bad... let’s see if our boys show some energy and enthusiasm! .... Rhody is also a poor shooting 3... they dive to the basket and try to get to the foul line where they shoot really well. Good guards and an awful front court... Wear out here guards and we win easy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2023, 10:28 AM
General

Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
Is it possible that the offensive system itself is prone to turnovers and that playing at a better pace may actually help with the turnover problem?
I don't think it would make much of a difference. The turnovers seem like they're coming from the bigs in the halfcourt offense

When Archie was here they'd push the pace on a defensive rebound and take advantage if they had the numbers and work the offense if it wasn't there.

UD's 330/360 teams in tempo this year. Picking up the pace doesn't mean the mean the team is going to some wild run and gun offense
Old 01-25-2023, 10:38 AM
Major

Agree.. part of pace are guards who can get in the lane. Mali and Elvis can do it... not great at it but have shown they can. I also would run more sets for both Kobys. Brea has a tough game Sat but we need more shots from him.. 40 percent 3 point guy.... right guys have fun o shoot the 3s. Watch the D on Camara.. they are baiting him to shoot.. Teams will take there chances on him.. notice he is wide open... for a reason.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2023, 10:47 AM
Lieutenant General

UD's 330/360 teams in tempo this year. Picking up the pace doesn't mean the mean the team is going to some wild run and gun offense
I agree and I am not advocating for some wild run and gun offense. I'm advocating for a more open offense that is not so paint by the numbers that guys just throw passes that become turnovers because that's where the next pass in the offense is "supposed" to go. The offense needs more reads based on how the defense reacts.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CvilleFlyer (01-25-2023), OSU Flyer (01-25-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 10:49 AM
Colonel

Originally Posted by rollo View Post

As of a couple games ago, UD had the #1 scoring offense in the A10, so they were getting the ball up and down the court quickly. It's apparent (to me) that Grant's decision to slow down the offense coincided with Malachi and Elvis returning and it doesn't take a genius to believe that Grant doesn't want Malachi and/or Elvis to re-injure themselves by pushing the ball this soon.

They were more efficient, but they weren't going at a faster pace.

Possessions (Efficiency)
DUQ- 68.8 (1.003)
@DAV- 61.1 (1.129)
STJ- 62.2 (1.223)
@FOR- 70.0 (1.172)
VCU- 67.0 (0.925)
DAV- 65.6 (1.037)
@ GW- 70.8 (0.975)

The offense at it's best and worst has been a lot of watching and playing off Daron. Everything appears great when he is putting up 20-30 pts/gm, but take him away and we don't know what to do.
Mad Props to bcross For This Totally Excellent Post:
OSU Flyer (01-25-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 10:52 AM

TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
Maybe, but from what I've seen, too many of the turnovers are simply due to carelessness, soft passes, and passes where players simply can't catch the ball. Amzil and Camara are notorious for lazy passes that are picked off. At least Mike, for the most part, is trying to make plays. They may not be good plays, but it's not just a lazy pass.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TXFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
CvilleFlyer (01-25-2023), m21eagle45 (01-25-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 12:32 PM
General

So let me get this straight. You want to continue to take 8 1/2 seconds to slowly dribble the ball up the court, then make 5 passes around the perimeter including two to Holmes at the top of the key, then with 5 seconds left in the shot clock either pass to a wing for a desperation off balance shot or go into the post for Holmes being double teamed.

The A-10 says thank you, easiest team in the world to scout as is.

When I (and I assume others) say speed it up, we are not talking run and gun. We just want something to keep the sweater vest crowd from dozing off watching the first 25 seconds of each possession.
Umm, did I say that? See, I wasn't attacking your strategy, I was asking why a great coach can't see it?
Old 01-25-2023, 01:19 PM
Brigadier General

hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TXFlyerFan View Post
Maybe, but from what I've seen, too many of the turnovers are simply due to carelessness, soft passes, and passes where players simply can't catch the ball. Amzil and Camara are notorious for lazy passes that are picked off. At least Mike, for the most part, is trying to make plays. They may not be good plays, but it's not just a lazy pass.
Our boys LOVE a good lazy pass up top.
Old 01-25-2023, 01:33 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,223 Times in 585 Posts
CvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Great post Chris... now tonite is fools gold.. Rhody is so bad... let’s see if our boys show some energy and enthusiasm! .... Rhody is also a poor shooting 3... they dive to the basket and try to get to the foul line where they shoot really well. Good guards and an awful front court... Wear out here guards and we win easy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Almost all of the posts on this thread have suggested we pick up the pace. I agree that something needs to be changed because the scouting report is out on the Flyers and the truth is we are too predictable! The further we get into the shot clock the slower our passes seem to get which leads to turnovers. Turnovers are to be expected but, like Chris stated, our opponents are taking an unthinkable 20% more shots because we're committing 20% more turnovers! This means that a turnover should be looked at as a 4 point swing, maybe a 5 point swing if a three pointer is made like at the end of the VCU game!

I agree that our boys should come out at the beginning of games with more energy and enthusiasm. This can be done by picking up the pace and taking care of the ball. The opposition may be confused and feel like they may have to change their game plan. There is no substitute for making shots. I think making quicker and sharper passes will lead to making a better percentage of our three pointers.
Old 01-25-2023, 01:54 PM
General

Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
For whatever its worth:

In the 13 wins we're shooting 36% from three point range.
In the 7 losses we're shooting 25% from three point range.

Not only do we shoot better from trey in our wins, we make 1.5 more a game on 2.5 fewer attempts. That's 5-7 points right off the top depending on how the substituted 2pt attempts go down.

In our best seven offensive performances (not necessarily total points or winning but just overall play), we were 6-1. We shot a collective 43% from three point range in those contests:

7-16 (N) Wyoming
7-16 SELA
8-20 Duquesne
6-13 @Davidson
10-20 St. Joseph's
6-14 @Fordham
7-20 (N) BYUast

Now some of this is a self-fulfilling prophecy: you shoot better you win more games. But there's no doubt we've suffered a stark contrast in shooting well and shooting poorly with no consistency or middle ground. BYU is the only game we've lost where we shot solid from the arc -- all other things dismissed. Its a weathervane for this team that points to W when we are solid from the perimeter and L when we aren't. My secondary target metric is turnovers.

We lost the BYU game because we couldn't defend in the 2nd half and overtime after building a 25pt lead.

Overall we're shooting .466 overall and .323 from trey. The overall FG is very good, the three point line is still bad but a lot better than it was. Our opponents are shooting .381 overall and a miserable .272 from the arc -- we'll try to forget Kenny Powers going gonzo on us and BYU bombing us into oblivion after halftime. So percentage-wise, we're winning the battle of shooting accuracy even though it doesn't feel like it a lot of times.

Turnovers for easy transition baskets the other direction are likely making up this spread in shooting percentage. Our opponents have taken an unthinkable 20% more shots because we're committing 20% more turnovers....we're getting beat on volume and lot of those extra shots are easy transition baskets we did not have a chance to defend conventionally. Its even more painful because of the pace of play. When you're scoring in the 80s, 16-18 turnovers is tolerable, but there aren't enough possessions to make up for those blank possessions when our pace is so slow. Especially when you commit three turnovers in a row in 25 seconds to end a game.

For a turnover-prone team, its a definite risk to want to speed up play. Since it's a 3-4 game season now however, one could argue its a risk well worth taking to find something that works w/more bodies back. I'm open to any idea that works. If it doesn't you were stupid to even suggest it -- thats how we roll around here.

Turnovers surely cause a disparity in shots taken. But what about offensive rebounds. It might not explain it over the full season, but lately it seems we're giving up way too many. And as many 3s as we've missed this season, it sure seems like that should help our Offensive rebounding(because missed 3s tend to bounce over the defenders that are boxing out and counted on for D. rebounds) but it sure seems we don't get to those either.
Old 01-25-2023, 02:03 PM
General of the Air Force

Umm, did I say that? See, I wasn't attacking your strategy, I was asking why a great coach can't see it?
But I do see it
Old 01-25-2023, 02:13 PM
General

But I do see it
wow, that gave me a great idea. But we have to run it by UDSCOTT to see what he thinks of you.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (01-25-2023), Figgie123 (01-25-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 03:30 PM
General

Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Posted via Mobile Device
Just had to temp fate?
Old 01-25-2023, 03:35 PM
Brigadier General

CoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond repute
I do not feel confident on the road now, I dont care what Rhodys record is. I am concerned.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CoffeeCan For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (01-27-2023), hawkoooo (01-25-2023), rollo (01-25-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 03:40 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Never said that. For the record, he's a very good coach and a better person.

Not so sure it was as much about getting up and down the court as it was they were hitting their 3 ball at a clip over 40-45% for 6-7 straight games. Opened up the inside for Holmes to like the 1st rounder they were talking about.
Old 01-25-2023, 03:53 PM
Brigadier General

I do not feel confident on the road now, I dont care what Rhodys record is. I am concerned.
Couldn't agree more. I was pretty surprised to see the line open at almost double digits.
Old 01-25-2023, 04:37 PM
General

It's pretty much A10 tournament or bust now. If we win this game like we should and most likely will, great. But if we lose it, it'll be fun to see how some that have been whining about AM to prop up AG respond.

Make no mistake, I'm rooting for a Flyers victory. But I have a feeling certain posters here already have posts typed and ready to cut and paste taking shots at AM after we win.
Old 01-25-2023, 05:35 PM

Thanked 6,122 Times in 4,168 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
I don't agree about him being a great defensive coach. 3 of his 6 seasons here have not been good defensively. Although 3 out of the last 4 years have been good or great defensively. Are we grading him on his first 2 years here? Is it fair to grade him on his first 2 years here?

https://barttorvik.com/team-history.php?team=Dayton

Last edited by ud2; 01-25-2023 at 05:38 PM..
Old 01-25-2023, 07:14 PM

Thanked 15,872 Times in 6,979 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
I like the pace tonite.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2023, 09:09 PM
Colonel

zmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud of
In what world is AG a “Very good coach”?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2023, 09:17 PM
General

Originally Posted by zmz723 View Post
In what world is AG a “Very good coach”?
Posted via Mobile Device
The same one that he's a better coach than Archie Miller. It's just that that world hasn't been discovered yet.
Old 01-25-2023, 09:29 PM

Neil better be asking questions or the whales should be asking if he wants to relocate.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Beatty Town Coach (01-26-2023), flyerfanatic86 (01-26-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 10:16 PM
1st Lieutenant

Buckeye has a spectacular aura aboutBuckeye has a spectacular aura about
AG doesn't seem to have the ability to make in game adjustments. Every game, we build a lead and lose it. He got outcoached tonight, again.

Dayton is overrated defensively. In man, Brea, Amzil, and Mike are complete liabilities. The other teams know this and exploit it.
Old 01-25-2023, 10:32 PM
General

Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
AG doesn't seem to have the ability to make in game adjustments. Every game, we build a lead and lose it. He got outcoached tonight, again.

Dayton is overrated defensively. In man, Brea, Amzil, and Mike are complete liabilities. The other teams know this and exploit it.
So you're saying that 6'6 and 6'8 guard and a 6'9 small forward can't keep up with players that are smaller and quicker than they are? Who knew? Maybe a new, fresh, out of the box idea would be to not have only 2 scholarship players 6'2 or under on your roster.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
bcross (01-26-2023), C-time (01-26-2023), m21eagle45 (01-26-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 10:36 PM
Colonel

zmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud ofzmz723 has much to be proud of
That’s crazy talk. This team needs more 6’8 transfers who don’t leave the bench
Posted via Mobile Device
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to zmz723 For This Totally Excellent Post:
bcross (01-26-2023), C-time (01-26-2023), m21eagle45 (01-26-2023), pattylarceny (01-26-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 10:44 PM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Neil better be asking questions or the whales should be asking if he wants to relocate.
Because of Archie, this loss obviously carries more sort of 30,000 foot-view negative program momentum weight. The optics are just really bad. A preseason top 25/projected 5 seed team just lost to a 6 win RI team, that hasn't made the ncaat or nit in the last four years and has a new head coach in his first year. Objectively we should win this game 99% of the time. We were down 13 points for a couple/few stretches of this game too, we had to claw back into this one.

Last edited by ud2; 01-25-2023 at 10:52 PM..
Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Beatty Town Coach (01-26-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 10:47 PM

So you're saying that 6'6 and 6'8 guard and a 6'9 small forward can't keep up with players that are smaller and quicker than they are? Who knew? Maybe a new, fresh, out of the box idea would be to not have only 2 scholarship players 6'2 or under on your roster.
That cuts both ways, but we don't have our guards post up against smaller players, negating our size advantage on offense.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TXFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
bcross (01-26-2023), jack72 (01-26-2023), Jeff (01-26-2023), m21eagle45 (01-26-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 10:52 PM
Brigadier General

Im just concerned that if we dont make a run in Brooklyn its bye bye to Holmes and Camara...maybe more.

But hey, that would be two more schollys that can lay vacant all next year in keeping with tradition
Old 01-25-2023, 10:57 PM
General

Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
Because of Archie, this loss obviously carries more sort of 30,000 foot-view negative program momentum weight. The optics are just really bad. A preseason top 25/projected 5 seed team just lost to a 6 win RI team, that hasn't made the ncaat or nit in the last four years and has a new head coach in his first year. Objectively we should win this game 99% of the time. We were down 13 points for a couple/few stretches of this game too, we had to claw back into this one.
This one's not optics. RI is bad. GW had two guys that can score. Blowing leads in OOC play and losing at home in the when up 7 with less than 2 minutes isn't optics...it's just bad. We were a top 25 pick at the beginning of the year, with nearly the entire team back.
Old 01-25-2023, 11:01 PM

Im just concerned that if we dont make a run in Brooklyn its bye bye to Holmes and Camara...maybe more.

But hey, that would be two more schollys that can lay vacant all next year in keeping with tradition
Holmes is gone, that's not even really an issue at this point. Won't be shocked if Mike transfers. Camara may be gone, Amzil too. Mali has offseason surgery and misses another summer of development. We may be trying to field a team completely from the portal next year. But hey, maybe it's Richard's time to shine.
Old 01-25-2023, 11:16 PM

The NIT is looking iffy. Torvik has us as the 26th team out now after tonight's loss. There are 32 NIT teams. Last year 11 of those 32 were conference regular season standings winners who lost in their conference tournaments. 32-11=only the first 21 out getting in. So we are out right now. Not what we were expecting this year.
Old 01-25-2023, 11:26 PM
Colonel

I can’t think of a worse offense for Mike to play in given his skillset. His dad agrees too according to twitter
Posted via Mobile Device
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to zmz723 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (01-26-2023), Jeff (01-26-2023), TX Flyer (01-25-2023)
Old 01-25-2023, 11:49 PM
General

btw, Archie is now 3-0 vs Anthony Grant. two 5 point victories and a 12 point victory when Grant's team was ranked 16th(overrated, there's a pattern here).

Archie Miller is the first former Flyers' coach to beat the Flyers. Which by the way makes Anthony Grant the first coach to lose to a former Flyers coach while coaching the Flyers. Congrats AG.

I also believe that Anthony Grant is the only future Flyers' coach to lose to the Flyers(did they ever play against Oliver Purnell before he got here?)

Anthony Grant btw, is tied with Brian Gregory for worst record by a coach of Dayton vs Dayton at 0-2(so many similarities, especially the excitement of watching them both coach offenses. By the way, all 4 of those losses came to, ready for this? Archie Miller.

Folks, there's no doubt in my mind that RI now has the better coach. Our program is falling fast because there's really nothing right now to hang our hopes on for the future.

Last edited by Smitty10; 01-26-2023 at 01:46 AM..
Old 01-26-2023, 12:02 AM
Colonel

You’re forgetting the Nice Guy factor though. That’s all that matters according to some on here
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-26-2023, 12:13 AM
General

Originally Posted by zmz723 View Post
You’re forgetting the Nice Guy factor though. That’s all that matters according to some on here
Posted via Mobile Device
Archie is the only Dayton coach to ever walk up to me and thank me for supporting the program by showing up in Maui to root them on. Very nice guy.
Old 01-26-2023, 12:13 AM
General

The tragedy of all this is that’s there blueprint for what UD can be

Now we have to suffer excuses about barometric pressure
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-26-2023, 12:30 AM
General

@parlaypyle

Bottom 200 KenPom losses in their Dayton coaching careers:

Gregory: 3 (8 years)
Miller: 3 (6 years)
Grant: 12 (5.5 years)

Rhode Island is #216

This is also the third time in 6 seasons where Grant has had 3 sub-200 losses in one season.
Posted via Mobile Device
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CoffeeCan (01-26-2023), m21eagle45 (01-26-2023), NJFlyr71 (01-26-2023)
Old 01-26-2023, 06:22 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,993 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
@parlaypyle

Bottom 200 KenPom losses in their Dayton coaching careers:

Gregory: 3 (8 years)
Miller: 3 (6 years)
Grant: 12 (5.5 years)

Rhode Island is #216

This is also the third time in 6 seasons where Grant has had 3 sub-200 losses in one season.
Posted via Mobile Device
This is a very disturbing statistic to me. It means, under Grant, we’re losing games we have no business losing, which spells “underperformance”. And we still have 10 games to play in the regular season alone, in a down year for the conference, so that total could easily become 5 or 6 before the end of the year. That’s indefensible.

I’ve been a vocal supporter of Coach Grant since Day 1, but outcomes like this can’t be allowed to continue. I imagine we’ve all heard about Einstein’s definition of “insanity”. Well, we’re there. Something must change.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-26-2023, 07:13 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,912 Times in 1,082 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
This one's not optics. RI is bad. GW had two guys that can score. Blowing leads in OOC play and losing at home in the when up 7 with less than 2 minutes isn't optics...it's just bad. We were a top 25 pick at the beginning of the year, with nearly the entire team back.
Which again demonstrates the fallacy of leaning on paper mache structures. It is the underneath part that really matters.

Many teams are mentioned but few are chosen.
Closed Thread