User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 05-09-2023, 11:34 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,413 Times in 670 Posts
flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Swampy Meadows View Post
Given Mike’s aversion to classwork I would sincerely doubt that he is in good academic standing which is required to transfer.
Posted via Mobile Device
And the great reporter is basing this on what? He maintained eligibility throughout the season last year, so let's not trash a kid without something supporting it beyond "kid doesn't like school work."
Mad Props to flyerfanatic86 For This Totally Excellent Post:
springborofan (05-09-2023)
Advertisement
Old 05-09-2023, 01:18 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,559 Times in 2,452 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
According to this site, Mike entered the portal today.

https://www.on3.com/transfer-portal/...sketball/2023/
Old 05-09-2023, 01:34 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,358 Times in 2,463 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by frisco flyer View Post
Good luck to the young man.

The best thing that could happen to him right now is for his dad to get a full time job away from basketball. The guy is gifted with size and he has skill, but I can’t help but think he is being over-managed by someone with unrealistic expectations.
X100

Should have entered the portal immediately. Scholarships still available, but…and maybe he had to get his GPA in order so he couldn’t? Anyway…I would expect him to be on a college roster somewhere next year. And, if it’s someplace with a notable coach, like Pitino at St Johns, his dad can save-face which is probably important in their country.
Old 05-09-2023, 01:45 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Mike might have real trouble transferring eligibility to another university.
Old 05-09-2023, 02:27 PM

Thanked 15,876 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Unless the rules have changed in the last 6 years...

Originally Posted by flyerfanatic86 View Post
And the great reporter is basing this on what? He maintained eligibility throughout the season last year, so let's not trash a kid without something supporting it beyond "kid doesn't like school work."
To be academically eligible as a freshman, you need to be a full time student.

To be academically eligible as a sophomore, you need to be full-time and have a 1.7 gpa as a freshman.

To be academically eligible as a junior, you need to be full-time and have a 1.8 gpa as a sophomore...and a 1.9 as a junior and 2.0 to graduate.

GPAs are applicable only after the academic year is over. So any freshman who knows he's leaving at the end of the year doesn't need a GPA...they just need to have passed all their 1st semester classes and be enrolled as a full-time student in the 2nd semester.

UD has attendance policies tied to eligibility that many others don't, but the fact remains that to complete your freshman season, you don't need to do much except attend...especially in the 2nd semester.
Bucketnight (05-09-2023), TXFlyerFan (05-09-2023)
Old 05-09-2023, 03:08 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,484 Times in 810 Posts
FlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post

To be academically eligible as a sophomore, you need to be full-time and have a 1.7 gpa as a freshman.

To be academically eligible as a junior, you need to be full-time and have a 1.8 gpa as a sophomore...and a 1.9 as a junior and 2.0 to graduate.

GPAs are applicable only after the academic year is over. So any freshman who knows he's leaving at the end of the year doesn't need a GPA...they just need to have passed all their 1st semester classes and be enrolled as a full-time student in the 2nd semester.

UD has attendance policies tied to eligibility that many others don't, but the fact remains that to complete your freshman season, you don't need to do much except attend...especially in the 2nd semester.
1.7 is a very low bar. Standard load is 5 courses for 15 credits. Drop the hardest, because 12 credits is full-time. If one is an easy A (probably not that hard to find), then either C/D/F or D/D/D on the other 3 classes gets you to a 1.7.

No matter how much a student dislikes school, it wouldn't surprise me to hear that they have at least a 1.7. If they are attending classes (which is apparently a UD basketball requirement), I'd be surprised if they didn't get a 1.7 even with no outside study/homework.
Mad Props to FlyingArrow For This Totally Excellent Post:
TXFlyerFan (05-09-2023)
Old 05-09-2023, 03:14 PM

rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
They take 6-12 hrs each summer so they can take a lighter load (12 hrs) during the actual academic year. And I doubt that Electronic Media is full of organic chem or calculus classes.
TXFlyerFan (05-09-2023)
Old 05-09-2023, 03:15 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,316 Times in 1,328 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute

Kevin Durant supposedly never attended a class his frosh year at Texas. When he was mulling his options to go pro (which I think he and everybody knew he would) he said he was contemplating staying one more year because he loved the college experience so much. Then someone told him he'd actually have to attend classes if he stayed, he said "in that case I guess I'll go pro now..."
Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
TXFlyerFan (05-09-2023)
Old 05-09-2023, 03:17 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,488 Times in 763 Posts
N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by lhsgolf19 View Post
Update from Mike

Jonathan Givony @DraftExpress

Dayton's Mike Sharavjamts will enter the NCAA transfer portal, he told ESPN. "Mongolian Mike" says he's leaning towards turning pro, but wants to explore collegiate portal options in case he withdraws from the NBA draft on May 31. Will attend next week's G League Elite Camp.
I'm assuming he got some "professional feedback" that did match what his dad was telling him . . .

Good luck to the young man.

The best thing that could happen to him right now is for his dad to get a full time job away from basketball. The guy is gifted with size and he has skill, but I can’t help but think he is being over-managed by someone with unrealistic expectations.
Bingo . . .

Originally Posted by Swampy Meadows View Post
Given Mike’s aversion to classwork I would sincerely doubt that he is in good academic standing which is required to transfer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Good question. If he stopped going to class once he declared he was leaving, I would assume that limits his options. Thanks, dad! MM will be back in Mongolia before the 4th of July.
Mad Props to N2663R For This Totally Excellent Post:
longtimefan67 (05-10-2023)
Old 05-09-2023, 03:24 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,001 Times in 493 Posts
Flyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
Kevin Durant supposedly never attended a class his frosh year at Texas. When he was mulling his options to go pro (which I think he and everybody knew he would) he said he was contemplating staying one more year because he loved the college experience so much. Then someone told him he'd actually have to attend classes if he stayed, he said "in that case I guess I'll go pro now..."
Bob Knight used to yell and scream about the fact that a kid who knew he was going to go pro, literally did not have to attend a single class to be eligible and that the NCAA still played this game where they talked about the student part of student athlete being important.

I guess I agree that you shouldn't berate kids or throw chairs and stuff, but looking at the world today and the sense of entitlement people have, I sure would take a little infusion of Bob Knight into society.
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyers98 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ChampCar (06-01-2023), CT Flyer (05-09-2023), longtimefan67 (05-10-2023), rollo (05-09-2023), ud2 (05-10-2023), UD62 (05-09-2023)
Old 05-09-2023, 11:49 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan View Post

Is there a chance that (a) he fulfilled enough requirements to leave UD in good academic standing, and/or (b) the program did all it could to help him keep his options open? I can see Grant (and/or others who support the program, ex. academic advisors) doing that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-10-2023, 08:15 AM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute

I clicked on this and noticed some - less than half - have NIL Value listed. It’s a very wide range from a couple thousand to over $200k. Does anyone know if this is what these players earned last year? They would have just done taxes, so would have been able to provide the amounts.

If so it has Mike at $55,000. If that’s what he got, I’m curious as to how fans feel about that. I will repeat, I like the player, but feel his dad is way out over his skis…and I’ll leave it at that.
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
longtimefan67 (05-10-2023)
Old 05-10-2023, 09:07 AM
Lieutenant General

CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BeckysTXA View Post
I clicked on this and noticed some - less than half - have NIL Value listed. It’s a very wide range from a couple thousand to over $200k. Does anyone know if this is what these players earned last year? They would have just done taxes, so would have been able to provide the amounts.

If so it has Mike at $55,000. If that’s what he got, I’m curious as to how fans feel about that. I will repeat, I like the player, but feel his dad is way out over his skis…and I’ll leave it at that.
I assumed that that is the minimum amount they are looking for to transfer to another school.
Old 05-10-2023, 09:15 AM

I assumed that that is the minimum amount they are looking for to transfer to another school.
Possibly, but then it’s odd amounts…like $6.7k, $17.2k. Why not even numbers? ($7k, $17k).

That’s why I lean towards this might be what they got this past year, but have no idea.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (05-10-2023), FlyingArrow (05-10-2023)
Old 05-10-2023, 10:13 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,749 Times in 791 Posts
Marysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BeckysTXA View Post
Possibly, but then it’s odd amounts…like $6.7k, $17.2k. Why not even numbers? ($7k, $17k).

That’s why I lean towards this might be what they got this past year, but have no idea.
Seems like a good conclusion. I think giving a kid like Mike $55K or worse yet entering the portal with a price tag attached to your name all the while hanging on to notions of amateur athletics and student-athlete ms is the farce that makes me sick.

I’m happy for the kids to a large degree but wish it would be recognized for what it is becoming - minor league professional sports.
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Marysville Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
longtimefan67 (05-10-2023), UD62 (05-10-2023)
Old 05-10-2023, 10:53 AM

SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Entering the portal so late sound like his family has not been thinking through their strategies very soundly.
Old 05-10-2023, 10:59 AM

I’m just curious how fans feel about an athlete they “fund” that then jumps ship. Not saying this is Mike, because we do not know what that $55k number represents. It’s easy as some have posted that players leaving must be a problem with the HC. Maybe not in this brave new world of NIL sweepstakes. Seeing the number was to be honest, shocking, and as noted above…no other word than sickening.

It’s been reported a few athletes are saying they want more NIL money so they are entering the portal. But I bet there are a lot more with those motives that haven’t been reported on. The NIL money comes from fans. So you give a 4-star recruit $55k his freshman year. He wants $175k in year 2 to stay or he is going to the portal. It’s what people do every day in the business world when they change jobs. Yet with student athletes it just seems like extortion/dirty. And yet NIL Value is right there on the portal.

So when do we start seeing NIL contracts for top recruits that lay out a 4-year payment plan with clauses that only let the student athlete out if they go to the NBA, graduate, etc, but locks them into staying at the school for tge duration of the contract. The problem is I think that becomes like a coaching contract where the new NIL deal can buyout a contract.

But, maybe this is a solution. The NCAA could pass a bylaw stating a school can not recruit a kid under contact. The student athlete can not leave a school until their NIL contract is completed - with obvious exceptions like any NBA job, graduation, coaching change, etc. I think that structure would hold up in court. Contract law would come into play and that’s very settled law.

I think these Co-Ops or whatever they are being called now, when they start adding up the money paid to SAs that jump ship, and the constant need to raise more money with bigger and bigger demands, their lawyers drafting contract will advise them to put in exit clauses where they get paid back if the contract is broken.
Old 05-10-2023, 11:48 AM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
The number from On3 I believe is estimate of what they think a player's NIL value based on social media followers and other factors, not what they actually received in NIL
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (05-10-2023), Canonball (05-10-2023)
Old 05-10-2023, 11:58 AM
Lieutenant General

Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
The number from On3 I believe is estimate of what they think a player's NIL value based on social media followers and other factors, not what they actually received in NIL
That's what I read somewhere earlier. Makes sense to me .RJ's NIL value was listed at 22,000. Hard to believe Mike would have made that much more than RJ, certainly not through the collective (although personal merchandise sales in Mongolia could have boosted it).
Old 05-10-2023, 08:01 PM
Major

podcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant future
That's what I read somewhere earlier. Makes sense to me .RJ's NIL value was listed at 22,000. Hard to believe Mike would have made that much more than RJ, certainly not through the collective (although personal merchandise sales in Mongolia could have boosted it).
I thought international players could not make money via NIL?
Old 05-10-2023, 08:06 PM
Lieutenant General

Mike was born in Phoenix Arizona. Doesn't matter where he grew up, he is a US citizen. And international players may earn all they can while they are out of the US.

Last edited by Lifelong Flyer Fan; 05-10-2023 at 08:21 PM..
Old 05-11-2023, 07:36 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,558 Times in 941 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future

Hunter Dickerson said he made less than $10k last year. Seems there is a bug discrepancy between actual and value. I’d be surprised if RJ actually get more than a few thousand.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-11-2023, 08:36 AM
Major

Bucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by maddog07 View Post
Hunter Dickerson said he made less than $10k last year. Seems there is a bug discrepancy between actual and value. I’d be surprised if RJ actually get more than a few thousand.
Posted via Mobile Device
I think you are missing a 0 unless you were looking at an article that had more info than the one I saw. His quote was that he make "less than 6 figures".

https://theathletic.com/4507307/2023...asketball-nil/
Old 05-11-2023, 10:10 AM
Lieutenant General

maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Bucketnight View Post
I think you are missing a 0 unless you were looking at an article that had more info than the one I saw. His quote was that he make "less than 6 figures".

https://theathletic.com/4507307/2023...asketball-nil/

“The people hating on me would leave their job right now for a $10,000
increase.... I got less than six figures at Michigan for the year.

Yes, I misinterpreted his statement.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-31-2023, 05:32 PM
Major

flyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant future
Mike has withdrawn from the draft, per Jeff Goodman. Considering Pittsburgh, Memphis, Indiana, and Nebraska as transfer destinations.

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/sta...21604735631364
Old 05-31-2023, 06:16 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,086 Times in 640 Posts
steverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond repute
on the same link, if I scroll down on players who have
yet to decide to withdraw from the draft, DaRon is there
as is Malachi Smith? Is this our Malachi Smith?
Old 05-31-2023, 06:18 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flyer016 View Post
Mike has withdrawn from the draft, per Jeff Goodman. Considering Pittsburgh, Memphis, Indiana, and Nebraska as transfer destinations.

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/sta...21604735631364
It sounds like the voice of reason has finally found its way to his head. He may be a fine pro prospect someday, but that day is not on the 2023 calendar. I hope he lands someplace where he can build on his strengths, shore-up his weaknesses, and make the most of his potential, both in basketball and in life.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-31-2023, 06:21 PM
General

OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by steverino015 View Post
Gonzaga formerly at Wright State and UTC
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
steverino015 (05-31-2023)
Old 05-31-2023, 06:21 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 10,037 Times in 2,598 Posts
lhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by steverino015 View Post
Gonzaga, he played last year after transferring in from UT Chattanooga
Mad Props to lhsgolf19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
steverino015 (05-31-2023)
Old 05-31-2023, 07:37 PM

Since he’s not going pro, can we change the title of this thread?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-01-2023, 12:52 AM

Thanked 17,096 Times in 5,101 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
What did the transfer ultimately buy Mike? I doubt its playing time unless its USF? Dayton probably would have brought in one less guard had he stayed. Same system (maybe this is his issue), familiar coaches and faculty/campus. I wish him unlimited success but he's starting over in a lot of ways. Perhaps he felt that was precisely what he needed.

What Dayton needed was guys that can get to the rim and knock down threes.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bill McPeek (06-01-2023), Canonball (06-01-2023), FLYER5 (06-01-2023), Jeff (06-01-2023), Tony T 71 (06-01-2023), UDTradition (06-01-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 01:11 AM
General

Thanked 2,909 Times in 1,405 Posts
frisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I hope things work out for him, but I think Mike is at least two years away from a realistic shot at the NBA.
Old 06-01-2023, 06:37 AM
General

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
I hope things work out for him, but I think Mike is at least two years away from a realistic shot at the NBA.
Yes, and even that makes some huge assumptions.

This whole episode tells me his head is not screwed on straight. Very troubling. But not our problem anymore.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
longtimefan67 (06-07-2023), UDTradition (06-01-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 08:50 AM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
What did the transfer ultimately buy Mike? I doubt its playing time unless its USF? Dayton probably would have brought in one less guard had he stayed. Same system (maybe this is his issue), familiar coaches and faculty/campus. I wish him unlimited success but he's starting over in a lot of ways. Perhaps he felt that was precisely what he needed.

What Dayton needed was guys that can get to the rim and knock down threes.
100% agree the system fit was a big issue. Mike was always pushing, AG holding his hands out to slow the offense down. With Holmes back, you can bet the pace will not change this year.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Jeff For This Totally Excellent Post:
CoffeeCan (06-01-2023), flyer016 (06-01-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 08:50 AM
Colonel

ChampCar is a splendid one to beholdChampCar is a splendid one to beholdChampCar is a splendid one to beholdChampCar is a splendid one to beholdChampCar is a splendid one to beholdChampCar is a splendid one to beholdChampCar is a splendid one to beholdChampCar is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post

This whole episode tells me his head is not screwed on straight. Very troubling. But not our problem anymore.

My guess is that his dad has an inflated opinion of his current skill - reminiscent of another former Flyers point guard who's name rhymed with Dayton.
Mad Props to ChampCar For This Totally Excellent Post:
Tony T 71 (06-01-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 09:04 AM
Major

flyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant future

Agree that he's not close to an NBA player right now. There wouldn't be a single possession where he wasn't targeted on defense.

Think you go too far on the second piece. He appears to have an overbearing Dad, but Mike displayed a good attitude and seemed committed all year long.

I think he'll look better in a more up-tempo system. The shot has got to come around though.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to flyer016 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (06-01-2023), flyerfanatic86 (06-01-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 01:33 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by ChampCar View Post
My guess is that his dad has an inflated opinion of his current skill - reminiscent of another former Flyers point guard who's name rhymed with Dayton.
The other guard was light years ahead of Mike. 5 points and and a couple of assists a game while playing starters minutes. Unless he materially improves over the summer there is no way he gets those minutes at the programs he’s reportedly considering. When he left he was at best an average MAC player.
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to maddog07 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyers98 (06-02-2023), rollo (06-01-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 03:41 PM
Colonel

Buckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud of
247 Sports shows an article about the top 10 small forwards left on the portal. 9 of the ten, have signed and the only one who has not obtained a new position is Mike Sharavjamts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-01-2023, 04:03 PM
Brigadier General

N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Buckleyma View Post
247 Sports shows an article about the top 10 small forwards left on the portal. 9 of the ten, have signed and the only one who has not obtained a new position is Mike Sharavjamts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Just a guess, but I'm thinking his academics may be an/the issue. I think he stopped going to class right around the end of the season, and I'm guessing UD is not willing to go out on a limb for him in that regard.
Old 06-01-2023, 04:58 PM
General

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
Mike will likely end up in a sub-A10 conference, and even then, his playing time may be limited. He needs to work on his strength and try to improve his footspeed.
Old 06-01-2023, 07:51 PM
Major

Bucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond repute
Mike is currently listed as the overall number 11 player left in the portal in the new ranking on The Athletic.

https://theathletic.com/4366021/2023...ortal-ranking/

Very balanced and relatively lengthy write up. Touched on the major points, the system was too slow for his style, very skilled, defensive liability. Hinted that the portal might just be a fall back option in case a professional opportunity somewhere isn't an option.

The last few sentences:

... He’s a boom-or-bust player that has real defensive deficiencies right now, and I’d recommend that he only goes to uptempo, well-spaced offensive situations that allow him to get the most out of his skill level. Still, he’s worth ranking because the upside if he gets into the right environment is very real.
Mad Props to Bucketnight For This Totally Excellent Post:
SeasonTicketFan (06-01-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 08:24 PM

The slow system was constantly highlighted as an issue; however his major defensive shortcomings limited his playing time quite a bit last year. Opponents went at him every time he was in the game. Part of his defensive issues was strength. Not just foot movement.
Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (06-01-2023)
Old 06-02-2023, 09:58 AM
General

Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Think you go too far on the second piece. He appears to have an overbearing Dad, but Mike displayed a good attitude and seemed committed all year long.
Originally Posted by N2663R View Post
Just a guess, but I'm thinking his academics may be an/the issue. I think he stopped going to class right around the end of the season, and I'm guessing UD is not willing to go out on a limb for him in that regard.
If he stopped going to class, and I have zero knowledge of that, then I did not go too far in stating that his head isn't screwed on straight.
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyers98 (06-02-2023)
Old 06-02-2023, 10:55 AM
Colonel

Flyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond repute
The other guard was light years ahead of Mike. 5 points and and a couple of assists a game while playing starters minutes. Unless he materially improves over the summer there is no way he gets those minutes at the programs he’s reportedly considering. When he left he was at best an average MAC player.
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree that there is no comparison between Staten and Mike when they both left. Staten's dad may have been a problem, but I don't think he was wrong about his son's talent. My recollection is that he played quite well at WVU which at the time was a step up in conference and program. Mike's dad ultimately might not be wrong either, but he is wrong right now.
Old 06-02-2023, 11:13 AM
General

Originally Posted by Flyers98 View Post
I agree that there is no comparison between Staten and Mike when they both left. Staten's dad may have been a problem, but I don't think he was wrong about his son's talent. My recollection is that he played quite well at WVU which at the time was a step up in conference and program. Mike's dad ultimately might not be wrong either, but he is wrong right now.

Mike is better than Staten, IMO. Staten was quicker and a better defender, Mike will be a better scorer, passer, floor general, rebounder, shot blocker, and never in his lifetime as good of a defender.
Old 06-02-2023, 11:49 AM
Colonel

Mike is better than Staten, IMO. Staten was quicker and a better defender, Mike will be a better scorer, passer, floor general, rebounder, shot blocker, and never in his lifetime as good of a defender.
Agree to disagree. I will always remember Staten driving baseline and posterizing someone's PF, Mike would have been broken in 2 if he tried that, and perhaps more importantly he would never have tried it.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyers98 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (06-02-2023), UDEE79 (06-07-2023)
Old 06-02-2023, 12:12 PM
Major

Key words being will be but I would change it to "could be". Staten's floor was definitely higher than Mike's but I think Mike's ceiling is so much higher than Staten's that given the choice, I would take Mike all day.
Mad Props to Bucketnight For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (06-02-2023)
Old 06-06-2023, 04:21 PM
Colonel

Furio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant future
https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/sta...C-6eifnZ8uAAAA

down to san fran, nebraska, and memphis for mike
Old 06-06-2023, 07:46 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Furio View Post
https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/sta...C-6eifnZ8uAAAA

down to san fran, nebraska, and memphis for mike
If the tweet is correct, and Memphis is out, I’m guessing that the state of Nebraska and the city of San Francisco would be eye opening experiences for Mike and his family.
Old 06-06-2023, 08:17 PM
General

Originally Posted by N2663R View Post
If the tweet is correct, and Memphis is out, I’m guessing that the state of Nebraska and the city of San Francisco would be eye opening experiences for Mike and his family.
That's two vastly different college experiences
Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (06-07-2023)
Old 06-07-2023, 12:39 AM

Thanked 2,415 Times in 1,074 Posts
UDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyers98 View Post
Agree to disagree. I will always remember Staten driving baseline and posterizing someone's PF, Mike would have been broken in 2 if he tried that, and perhaps more importantly he would never have tried it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WEGS--KcZ8
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDEE79 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (06-07-2023), Flyers98 (06-07-2023), rollo (06-07-2023), Runnin' Rebel (06-07-2023)
Old 06-07-2023, 08:57 AM
Colonel

The Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by UDEE79 View Post
"He just tommy hawked that one, baybee." I miss Bucky.

That was the #1 play on Sports Center. There was another dunk in that game that also made the top 10. I can't remember who it was though.
Old 06-07-2023, 09:11 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,328 Times in 1,078 Posts
longtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by The Gem View Post
"He just tommy hawked that one, baybee." I miss Bucky.

That was the #1 play on Sports Center. There was another dunk in that game that also made the top 10. I can't remember who it was though.
Chris Wright, just a few minutes later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONNcRlEh_RM
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to longtimefan67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (06-07-2023), Runnin' Rebel (06-07-2023), The Gem (06-07-2023)
Old 06-07-2023, 09:30 AM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Bucketnight View Post
Key words being will be but I would change it to "could be". Staten's floor was definitely higher than Mike's but I think Mike's ceiling is so much higher than Staten's that given the choice, I would take Mike all day.
Staten was definitely more D1 ready when he was a frosh than Mike, but, although it is yet to be seen, it does seem like Mike could have a higher ceiling...only time will tell.
Old 06-07-2023, 10:16 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,206 Times in 542 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by longtimefan67 View Post

I remember that, it was New Years, and with all the football going on Dayton had 2 Top 10 Plays that day.
Old 06-07-2023, 10:28 AM
Brigadier General

Marysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Staten was definitely more D1 ready when he was a frosh than Mike, but, although it is yet to be seen, it does seem like Mike could have a higher ceiling...only time will tell.
Physically and defensively for sure. Offensively, not at all. Assists were very good for a frosh, but his shooting was offensive much of the year.
Old 06-07-2023, 10:54 AM
Colonel

Originally Posted by UDEE79 View Post
That's the one. Thanks!
Old 06-07-2023, 03:20 PM
Colonel

The Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by longtimefan67 View Post

Yup, that's the other one. It was merely a tomahawk though.
Old 06-09-2023, 06:30 PM
Brigadier General

Well, Mike . . .
Old 06-09-2023, 06:50 PM
Lieutenant General

The On 3 site removed USF yesterday from the possible schools, leaving Nebraska and Memphis. I have no idea what the basis was because I do not have a subscription.

https://hilltophoops.home.blog/2023/...top-5-schools/
Old 06-09-2023, 07:52 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 10,037 Times in 2,598 Posts
lhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond repute
Per ESPN

Dayton transfer Mike Sharavjamts has committed to San Francisco, he told ESPN. Chose them over Nebraska & Memphis. Former ESPN 100 recruit averaged 5.6 PPG. Will be the starting PG, also feels at home with the diversity of the city, specifically the Mongolian & Asian communities.

He expects the latter point — his nickname (“Mongolian Mike”), his familiarity with the community — will help open up NIL opportunities for him.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to lhsgolf19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (06-09-2023)
Old 06-09-2023, 08:43 PM
Major

FlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to behold
Tough academics at SF…
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-09-2023, 10:12 PM
Brigadier General

Jack D is a name known to allJack D is a name known to allJack D is a name known to allJack D is a name known to allJack D is a name known to allJack D is a name known to all
Good luck Mike
Old 06-09-2023, 10:26 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by lhsgolf19 View Post
Per ESPN

Dayton transfer Mike Sharavjamts has committed to San Francisco, he told ESPN. Chose them over Nebraska & Memphis. Former ESPN 100 recruit averaged 5.6 PPG. Will be the starting PG, also feels at home with the diversity of the city, specifically the Mongolian & Asian communities.

He expects the latter point — his nickname (“Mongolian Mike”), his familiarity with the community — will help open up NIL opportunities for him.
Posted via Mobile Device
So despite the experts here that said he isn’t a PG even when he was, it looks he once again returns to that role at a 2nd school.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-09-2023, 10:43 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,086 Times in 640 Posts
steverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond repute
good luck Mike,
now back to the 2 scholarships thread for anything
new...not holding my breath....)
Old 06-10-2023, 09:48 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,429 Times in 754 Posts
Hyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Anybody that has lived in SF (I have) knows that Richmond, the Wharf and the Tenderloin are worlds apart. May not look that way on a map, but this is like saying Oakwood, the Oregon District and East Dayton are alike.

Provide any anecdotal observations you'd like, but people continue to pay the very top dollar to live in SF.

Again, hope Mike has a great experience as a Don. The press release was very clear that he was going to be a PG, and I hope the system fits his expectations.

They've went through a run of successful coaches recently. Kyle Smith left for Washington State after three seasons. Todd Golden left for Florida after three seasons. This will be the second season under Chris Gerlufsen.

The WCC is tough. Gonzaga is a monster. Saint Mary's has been really great under Randy Bennett. Santa Clara's been reasonably good under Herb Sendek. Steve Lavin is now running the San Diego Torreros. Lorenzo Romar is at Pepperdine. Loyola Marymount is not an easy out under Stan Johnson.
I didn’t realize that USF suspended the program after some NCAA violations. I guess it has never rebounded since. Before the suspension, they still had an All American. It’s just crazy that they went from National Championships to 500 fans at games. Wow.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-11-2023, 06:57 PM
Major

UDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant future
Why are we talking about a player who is gone? Yawn.........

I guess we are all bored because of inactivity?
Old 06-11-2023, 07:00 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by UDTradition View Post
Why are we talking about a player who is gone? Yawn.........

I guess we are all bored because of inactivity?
I wish him nothing but the best. He did nothing to harm the program. I’ll be following him closely at SFU to see if he develops into the player we hoped he’d develop into when he was here.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-11-2023, 10:39 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,484 Times in 810 Posts
FlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Marysville Flyer View Post
I wish him nothing but the best. He did nothing to harm the program. I’ll be following him closely at SFU to see if he develops into the player we hoped he’d develop into when he was here.
Posted via Mobile Device
Leaving kind of harms the program... if you expected him to turn into a really good player here. I expected him to, and I think he probably will at USF. Too bad he won't do that in a Dayton uniform.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FlyingArrow For This Totally Excellent Post:
Jeff (06-12-2023), UDTradition (06-12-2023)
Old 06-12-2023, 08:43 AM

*or maybe I do...

Why aren't P5 schools lining up and begging MMike to sign with them? Is his NIL too expensive for them? Are the P5s afraid they'll only have him for 1 season? Is MMike the first future Pro to have to transfer down in order to prove his greatness? I don't get it*!
Old 06-12-2023, 08:50 AM
General

Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
It means he'll be dipping his toe in to get feedback on what he needs to do to become NBA material. He'll be at another college program next season. The decision he makes as to which program might actually be steered by recommendations of NBA scouts.

I knew when his father made all those tweets then deleted them that was a lighter version Juwan Staten, but no, the Pollyannas continued to say it was totally different.

The fact he is totally disqualifyiing a return to UD while leaving open the possibility of going into the portal tells you all you need to know.

This is why I'm so happy that AG is returning. Once Deuce and/or Camara leave, he will be sleeping in the bed of crap that he made.

We need a poll as to what's more like next year a 16-15 season or a 15-16 season.

rollo, the NBA scouts steered him to SF. You wouldn't understand, it's all far too complex for you and AG.
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (06-12-2023)
Old 06-12-2023, 02:52 PM
Lieutenant General

Really??

Mike a better floor general? As a freshman JS led the A 10 in assists, was 30th in the nation and # 2 among frosh. Mike averaged a pitiful 2.6 assists while having Deuce and Camara to hand off to. But he didn’t get many assists because he couldn’t wait to get rid of the rock.

Mike will be a better scorer? JS put up 1560 career points. It’s fair to assume Mike will improve. If he doesn’t, for your statement to come true he’ll need to play another 8 years! Last year Mike tallied 178. He’ll need to average about 15 a game for the next 3 years to surpass Staten and it’s highly unlikely. Mostly because he can’t shoot. JS’s career Fg% was .427. Mike is a modest .388. Mike contributed a woeful 2 baskets per game. JS has averaged more steals, rebounds, gets fouled more and shoots a better Ft percentage. About all Mike does better is shoot the 3 and he shot the worst % among those with material attempts for the Flyers at just 31%.

Blocks? Mike had 11. BFD!
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to maddog07 For This Totally Excellent Post:
springborofan (06-12-2023)
Old 06-12-2023, 08:31 PM
General

Really??

Mike a better floor general? As a freshman JS led the A 10 in assists, was 30th in the nation and # 2 among frosh. Mike averaged a pitiful 2.6 assists while having Deuce and Camara to hand off to. But he didn’t get many assists because he couldn’t wait to get rid of the rock.

Mike will be a better scorer? JS put up 1560 career points. It’s fair to assume Mike will improve. If he doesn’t, for your statement to come true he’ll need to play another 8 years! Last year Mike tallied 178. He’ll need to average about 15 a game for the next 3 years to surpass Staten and it’s highly unlikely. Mostly because he can’t shoot. JS’s career Fg% was .427. Mike is a modest .388. Mike contributed a woeful 2 baskets per game. JS has averaged more steals, rebounds, gets fouled more and shoots a better Ft percentage. About all Mike does better is shoot the 3 and he shot the worst % among those with material attempts for the Flyers at just 31%.

Blocks? Mike had 11. BFD!
Posted via Mobile Device
JS as a healthy freshman started 33 of the 35 games and played 1,018 minutes. His backup played nearly as many minutes as Mike (Josh Parker).

Mike started 20 games and played 739 minutes. Absolute numbers will, of course, be heavily skewed because Mike was not college ready as a freshman, a point I not only concede but that IS the point.

You mentioned JS's career 42% FG% (solidly unimpressive). But what you somehow failed to mention that JS was 38.8% as a freshman, including an astonishing 4-26 as a freshman from 3 and a 60% FT shooter. Comparatively, Mike was 38.8% (the same) and 31.5% from 3 -->> better than JS's career % from 3, dismal as Mike's freshman year was. Mike was also 68% FT shooter as a freshman, which you compare to JS's career numbers while conveniently forgetting to check JS's freshman #'s.

Mike had more blocks as a freshman than JS had in his career. The point is potential, not performance to date.

C'mon man. That's not a good faith effort to compare the 2. That's cherry picking. You forgot to mention JS was taller than Mike . . . because Mike was about 8 years old when JS played.
Old 06-12-2023, 08:38 PM
General

Originally Posted by CJ#4 View Post
Hi Gazoo, we obviously have different opinions on some cities. No biggie, and here’s a parting thought.
Beyond the “bad areas” issue, you said, “I trust you understand the point that as a whole cities can be better or worse than others.”
When it comes to giant cities with so many factors to consider, I guess I’d consider it more as a “different strokes for different folks” thing, rather than trying to say A is objectively better/worse than B, like a math problem. But for those who do want to rate A as good and B as bad, I will say that I don’t see Ohio cities pop up on “best cities” in the USA or the world lists often, but I definitely do see Chicago and San Fran and NYC on some of those lists.
I’m sorry you had bad experiences with NYC and Chicago and San Fran and Vermont. Here’s hoping the Buckeye state treats you better.
Personally, I’m looking forward to Wrigley and Oak Street Beach and Twin Anchors and Lincoln Park in a few weeks when we’re back in Chicago.
(And UD-Northwestern in November)

Go Flyers!

That's fine, all good. It's just that there can, actually, be cities that go downhill. Like NYC back when Guliani wasn't widely known to be totally crazy, and NYC went from a well-deserved reputation as a ****hole to become a really cool low-crime city. It's just that now it's slipped back.

NYC, Chicago, SF, they're not going to completely implode. It's just the absolute-ism from some people that "SF is as great as it's ever been, will never get worse on any objective measure, actually it's completely perfect, and anyone who says otherwise doesn't live there" type hyperbole from some people can't be rationally true. Cities step forward, and step back.
Old 06-12-2023, 08:45 PM

Thanked 17,096 Times in 5,101 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
I deleted a bunch of posts about urban blight and crime stats. We have a forum for that kind of stuff and this ain't it. Keep it about Mike.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
GoFlyer (06-12-2023), SeasonTicketFan (06-12-2023), Skans (06-13-2023), The Gem (06-13-2023), tirebiter (06-12-2023)
Old 06-12-2023, 10:12 PM
General

Mike kind of fits into the positionless basketball trend. I was never quite sure what position he envisioned himself playing vs. what maybe UD wanted him to do

Did he want to be a full time PG? That could have played a role in him leaving with a healthy Mali
Old 06-12-2023, 10:29 PM
Lieutenant General

JS as a healthy freshman started 33 of the 35 games and played 1,018 minutes. His backup played nearly as many minutes as Mike (Josh Parker).

Mike started 20 games and played 739 minutes. Absolute numbers will, of course, be heavily skewed because Mike was not college ready as a freshman, a point I not only concede but that IS the point.

You mentioned JS's career 42% FG% (solidly unimpressive). But what you somehow failed to mention that JS was 38.8% as a freshman, including an astonishing 4-26 as a freshman from 3 and a 60% FT shooter. Comparatively, Mike was 38.8% (the same) and 31.5% from 3 -->> better than JS's career % from 3, dismal as Mike's freshman year was. Mike was also 68% FT shooter as a freshman, which you compare to JS's career numbers while conveniently forgetting to check JS's freshman #'s.

Mike had more blocks as a freshman than JS had in his career. The point is potential, not performance to date.

C'mon man. That's not a good faith effort to compare the 2. That's cherry picking. You forgot to mention JS was taller than Mike . . . because Mike was about 8 years old when JS played.

Cherry picking? Mike did nothing well for us other than bring the ball up. He didn’t score, didn’t have many assists, was not a rebounder or thief, shot a poor percentage and was abysmal on defense. Staten was a hall of fame performer.

Still the jury is out on Mike with three years to go. We can revisit this in the future. But so far, there is no comparison.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-13-2023, 07:17 AM
General

Cherry picking? Mike did nothing well for us other than bring the ball up. He didn’t score, didn’t have many assists, was not a rebounder or thief, shot a poor percentage and was abysmal on defense. Staten was a hall of fame performer.

Still the jury is out on Mike with three years to go. We can revisit this in the future. But so far, there is no comparison.
Posted via Mobile Device
JS averaged 8 ppg as a freshman. (Mike averaged 5.)

JS was 4-26 from 3 and shot 60% from the FT line.

If those are HOF numbers, we need a new definition of HOF.

I'm not saying you don't have a point. You do. Because JS came in ready and Mike didn't, it's a major gamble to declare Mike will be better. I'm not guaranteeing that. I'm saying I think it has a good chance of happening. And by "it" I mean by the time Mike is 4 years into his career he'll be better than JS was at that point. Not cumulatively based on career stats.
Old 06-13-2023, 07:51 AM

Staten had balls. That's the major difference between the two.
Old 06-13-2023, 09:32 AM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Staten had balls. That's the major difference between the two.
Had a dad that wanted to run the team for Gregory also. Remarkable how legendary this guy has become.
Old 06-13-2023, 11:54 AM
Colonel

Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Had a dad that wanted to run the team for Gregory also. Remarkable how legendary this guy has become.
His dad was a jerk. He was a good basketball player. Two things can be true at the same time. He was also objectively better than Mike as a freshman. Mike may end up being the #1 pick in the draft someday, who knows. At this point in their respective careers however I don't think there is a question as to who played better for UD.

It always amuses me that people let their personal feelings on another issue cloud their judgment on something fairly objective. The example I always give is when people say "Taylor Swift sucks." I don't particularly like her, or her music but unless you just know nothing about music, she pretty clearly does not suck.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyers98 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (06-13-2023), flyerfanatic86 (06-13-2023), Kool-ade Flyer (06-13-2023)