Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-20-2008, 02:49 PM
1st Lieutenant

DickB 309 has a spectacular aura aboutDickB 309 has a spectacular aura about
Team demeanor

A couple of events in the last few games have caused me to appreciate our team even more. One of the Wofford players did a defiant fist bump against his chest after a breakaway dunk and again last night, one of the Delaware St. players apparently made an obscene gesture to the student section (and was harrassed the rest of the game by the students). To me, these antics, as well as holding your hand to your ear to hear the "silenced" crowd, taunting and others are unsportsmanlike and have no place in college sports. It's one of the reason I'm not a big fan of pro sports, where this type of personal exhibition is part of the game (see Ocho-Cinco).

I appreciate the fact that our guys hustle, play as a team and rarely, if ever lose their tempers or seek personal attention. I assume that this is due to the quality of student-athletes we recruit and to the way they are coached. I hope this continues.

Does anyone else agree with this or am I just showing my age here?
Mad Props to DickB 309 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (11-21-2008)
Advertisement
Old 11-20-2008, 02:59 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,285 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Agree.

And I think it says more about how they are coached. Displaying any of the antics you mention would happen just once -- they would then be granted a courtside seat from that point on.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:07 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,197 Times in 584 Posts
Bill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Agree.

And I think it says more about how they are coached. Displaying any of the antics you mention would happen just once -- they would then be granted a courtside seat from that point on.
Agreed. That is one reason I admire Joe Paterno. I don't ever recall on of his players act inappropriately. Heck, his teams have no award symbols on their helmets or names on the back of their jerseys, nothing to draw special attention to one player. That fact that our players behave as they do is because of BG. As one football coach has said......"I don't want them to look like they have never been there before." Comment was made concerning how some players behave after they score a TD
Old 11-20-2008, 03:10 PM
Captain

GetFlyeredup is infamous around these partsGetFlyeredup is infamous around these parts
Hasn't Penn State's football team over the last few years suffered numerous player arrests and other violations? I don't know about on the field, but off the field Penn State football is not the model to follow (recently anyways).
Old 11-20-2008, 03:26 PM
2nd Lieutenant

addicted2flyers
Yeah i think penn state did have a problem this year, but i believe joe pa handed out what was considered pretty solid punishments based on the crime.

I also agree with coaching. However, a few players who had off the court problems come to mind: Plummer, Chris Spears, and Desmond after he left. These players were recruited by us, but didn't last long enough to benifit from a positive influence, wherever its coming from.

Also our leaders on the court for as long as I have been here, have not been arrogant show-boaters, meaning those that follow will not be either.
Mad Props to addicted2flyers For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClearTheRunwayForWLJ (11-20-2008)
Old 11-20-2008, 03:29 PM
Captain

cbusflyer12 is on a distinguished road
Back to the Flyers

I completely agree with the class of athletes that we recruit. There is really sense this year that everyone cares about each other. You can tell that they are friends and would do anything for each other. They are also incredible unselfish. I love celebration and I hate taunting. I loved it when they jump and salute during warm-ups and after big plays.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:16 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,603 Times in 2,849 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Penn State

As for on-court demeanor, coaching is the key, no doubt.

As for using Penn State as an example,....whoa! In recent years dozens, not a few, PSU players have been arrested. It has been suggested that the program is out of control and that JoePa is the coach in name only.

Joe Pa is creating a headache for the university administration. He is old and infirm and way past the age at which he can recruit and coach effectively. Be he is "Penn State", an icon if ever there was one. Perhaps his upcoming surgery will provide a reason for him to exit gracefully.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:34 PM
Just off the Jet

CbusFlyer2010 is on a distinguished road
Student Section

Yes, however, I don't see how the student section making comments like "You suck jackass" is really much better than the other players taunting our fans. It would be helpful if our students would show as much class as the players have.
Mad Props to CbusFlyer2010 For This Totally Excellent Post:
daytonflyers (11-20-2008)
Old 11-20-2008, 07:49 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 1,650 Times in 838 Posts
Canonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond repute
For me team demeanor looks fuzzy. But that's only because I have to watch online and it's hard to tell what's actually happening. Ground truth is nice too read.