User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 01-07-2017, 08:42 AM
General

Thanked 5,463 Times in 2,388 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
RI game summary

I don't see one, so here's my summary.

The refs suck. If you were at the game without the benefit of replay, you saved yourself a heart attack. I replayed a number of calls like KP's "foul" call when we would have taken a 9 point lead. It's was officially horse s***. So was Mikesell's travel, KD's "tripping" call, and a number of other calls. The refs wanted to be the stars of the show tonight.

SS is officially back to shooting the ball well. Thank goodness. When it was clear that ever pass was an opportunity for the refs to take over the game he just decided to dribble until he got a shot. Better than a TO even if it was a bad shot, and most were not.

Pollard thought he was automatically the star of the show because it was his birthday. He started the game with a series of "WTF?" moments. That continued into the 2nd half. He finally settled down and had some key plays.

DD: poor DD just can't get out of his own way. But played hard on D.

KD continues to be the heart of the team. Defense, 50/50 balls, breakouts, deflections, where would we be without him?

Mikesell gets a raw deal on his defensive rep. His arms are so long he can hang back and still challenge shots. But he's not quite strong and athletic enough yet. Several replays showed that tipped rebounds where KD got the 50/50 ball were started by him causing havoc.

XW just couldn't find a rhythm. But didn't play badly.

Crosby had a bad game. He was just in the wrong place so many times. A couple good trips and many bad trips. In the end 2 assists and a steal with 2 TO doesn't look bad, but it was pretty bad.

Sam again played limited minutes in a game where he was a bad matchup. Nothing against Sam, just not a good matchup game for him.

How we ever won this game without Cooke, Cunningham, DD and Crosby playing like freshman. . . thank you Archie Miller. If that man ever buys a steak in the city of Dayton I will be disappointed.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
big jordan (01-07-2017), fuz_forward (01-09-2017), ruechalgrin (01-07-2017), SeasonTicketFan (01-07-2017)
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2017, 09:22 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,302 Times in 1,764 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Crowd was very loud with energy even without students

Might be the most important win of the year for UD. So far.

Game started badly URI up 7-0 to start. Slow starts continue. Pollard trying too hard at first and URI height inside bothered UD as the floor spread later in the game, UD adjusted well

Seniors all stepped up in the absence of Cooke.

This team creates offense from m defense. They are so so in half court offense, but they produce volumes of steals and turnovers that turn into baskets. Defense to offense carries them.

I wish the team shot FTs better.

E.C. Matthews was scoreless at halftime I believe. He shot well in the second half. URI shot the 3 ball lights out and had a lot of assists. They are a good team.

Fans were as angry at stripes as I have ever seen. I taped the game and want to watch the replay. I thought it was a physical game and the refs were struggling to maintain control of it in the second half. Most of the disputed calls were at the URI end and I did not have a good view. Kyle Davis was severely passed a couple of times.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:52 AM

Thanked 10,505 Times in 4,706 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
The refs were as bad as we have seen this year. But calls were equally bad for both sides. Many times there were bodies on the floor with no whistle. Rugby scrums.

There should have been many more And 1's for both teams.

Xeyrius made the offensive tip-out that was huge at the end.

At least 3 guys tried mid-range jumpers. Scoochie and Kendall made them.

Mikesell is a savvy player. It's easy to see why Coach likes him. He will continue to
fill up the stat sheet as he gets stronger.

Pollard had two soft free throws near the end that should have gone in, but didn't.
Could easily have been 4/5. Looking good at the line. Hope he stays with it. He shows no signs of that lingering injury that seemed so mysterious. We would be up a creek without him.

Crosby can get to the rim when he wants to. I yearn for the day that he learns how to finish.

Darrell's 3pt try was all the way down and came out. Made 2 needed ft's at the finish. Other than that he single-handedly kept RI in the game.

We are doing a creditable job of committee rebounding. 8 guys average between 3 and 5 rebounds/game. Rebounding was even last night.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
fuz_forward (01-09-2017), ruechalgrin (01-07-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 10:03 AM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
I certainly have to agree regarding the inept officiating. Jeffrey Anderson was the worst of the bunch. He was seeing things nobody else saw all night. He was really bad. Perhaps the worst call of the night was his offensive foul on Iverson for hooking with 3:30 left. Right in front of me and really weak. I got the impression he was trying to show off his prowess all night by being inept.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cityengr (01-07-2017), CT Flyer (01-07-2017), ruechalgrin (01-07-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 10:05 AM

San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
The one that got me was the foul on KP for "undercutting". The kid jumped on Kendall's back and KP was trying to get away.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (01-07-2017), Gazoo (01-07-2017), ruechalgrin (01-07-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 10:08 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,043 Times in 451 Posts
Whacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond repute
Hurley's game plan defensively was to pressure the ball out past the three-point line and make the Flyers score in the paint. Martin forced Kendall into a lot of tough shots in the 1st half. Dayton struggled to get clean looks and Rhody length bothered them around the rim.

Archie struggled to find a good lineup that wasn't bleeding at one end or the other. Later in the 1st half around the 7 min mark with Crosby, Scooch, Pollard, Xeyrious and KD they got a nice stretch they cut into the 8 point lead. Archie came out in the second half giving them a dose of their own medicine - spreading them out and attacking the rim very successfully. Scooch was masterful as always keeping the defense off balance getting to the rim, knocking down pull-ups and setting up his teammates.

Offensively, well, I still don't know what Rhody was trying to do. Last year they spread Dayton out and repeatedly beat them off the dribble for shots close to the rim or kick outs. This year Dayton's defense did a superlative job switching on the perimeter and the backside rotations were as good as I've seen from this team this year. And Hurley had no answer except to continue his Pageant Mom routine on the officials.

Rhody has a roster full of big wings and stretch 4s and defensively they can switch just about everything, but on the other side of the ball they didn't really have a playmaker. EC has clearly lost that explosive first step after his knee injury last year and they appeared allergic to feeding Martin in the post with any regularity.

The shot Scoochie made around the 2 minute mark to push the lead back to 5 was set-up by Pollard dragging his man out of the lane and giving Scooch a lane to drive. The driving lay-up by Pollard at the end to put them back up by 3 was a beauty. He hadn't gone left and finished with his left all night and did a great job using his body to shield the shot. He took what the defensive was giving with a great finish.

Scooch is the ultimate safety blanket - I am really going to miss watching him play. He is so smart and in control - like a conductor directing an orchestra. The change of pace dribble, how he thoroughly understands and uses angles to his advantage, the body control and ability to finish - UD Arena is his house.

I thought Crosby and Xeyrious gave the team a real boost on the defensive side and they seem to be embracing that role. Crosby had his usual struggles with when to pass and when to shoot, but that is eventually going to work out with experience.

Mikesell made some great cuts against the overplaying defense and came up with a huge tip in. As mentioned by someone else, he's doing a nice job of mixing it up inside and getting tips even if not corralling the rebound himself.

Archie had some great OTAs, specifically thinking about Scooch's 3 from the corner in the 1st half when they were struggling to score. Flyers spent the whole game trying to get over the hump and seemed to shoot themselves in the foot every time they almost took back the lead.

Finally around the 7 minute mark in the 2nd half Scoochie got a steal converted to a Pollard dunk to go up 1. Not a bad spot for Rhody to take a TO. Instead they get a contested jumper and another run out by Flyers to go up 3 and the place is roaring. Great place for a TO, but Hurley just sits on it knowing next stoppage of play is the media TO. They take a long three and Flyers get another run out where Mikesell gets fouled. After media he makes one and Flyers go up 4. Rohdy takes a contested three and the Flyers convert into 2 D Davis FTs to go up 6 - a lead they never relinquished.

The whole game you just felt like if the Flyer's could hang around they'd make the plays at the end to wrap it up. It's just what they do. These seniors have been in just about every scenario imaginable.

Last edited by Whacker; 01-07-2017 at 10:11 AM..
8 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Whacker For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-07-2017), flyerfanatic86 (01-09-2017), ruechalgrin (01-07-2017), San Diego Flyer (01-07-2017), SeasonTicketFan (01-07-2017), springborofan (01-07-2017), TommyGola (01-07-2017), ud69 (01-07-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 10:10 AM

Thanked 15,916 Times in 6,997 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
The one that got me was the foul on KP for "undercutting". The kid jumped on Kendall's back and KP was trying to get away.
I tend to sometimes and occasionally defend officials, but that call left me speechless.
CE80 (01-07-2017), Fairborn Fan (01-07-2017), Figgie123 (01-08-2017), flyerfanatic86 (01-09-2017), fuz_forward (01-09-2017), Gazoo (01-07-2017), Lifelong Flyer Fan (01-07-2017), ruechalgrin (01-07-2017), ud2 (01-07-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 10:10 AM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
To me that was tied with the scramble for the loose ball that they caused on Mathews and the foul called on KD. KD never touched Mathews. Makes me wonder if the Refs got their bets down when it was UD -4.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (01-07-2017), ruechalgrin (01-07-2017), San Diego Flyer (01-07-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 10:16 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,244 Posts
C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
Anderson was doing his best Teddy TV impersonation all night.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (01-07-2017), ruechalgrin (01-07-2017), ud69 (01-07-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 10:32 AM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe above all, a masterful coaching job by Archie and staff. He really concentrated on putting a defensive team on the floor. How else can you explain Baby D with so many minutes - and he did play good defense.

I thought everybody did an outstanding job of hedging and recovering. Our rotations underneath were really good. The hedging was as much containment by the hedger as it was full out hedging. So many things have to go right to hedge properly - work hard over the screen, hedge without fouling, hands and arms up to prevent the quick pass, rotation underneath on the player rolling to the bucket, second and third rotation to cover the shooter in the corner. If you watch closely it is a bit of a ballet.

We gave up a few more 3s than I like, but we never really got torched inside - a weak area for our small squad.

No Big Steve, no Josh, no CCIII, no Kostas, no problem. I don't know if Archie is doing it with smoke and mirrors but getting 2 wins this week sans Cooke was huge.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ruechalgrin (01-07-2017), San Diego Flyer (01-07-2017), SeasonTicketFan (01-07-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 11:04 AM
General

Thanked 5,463 Times in 2,388 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
One of the key plays of the game was when the RI player fell as he was catching the pass to start the offense. He grabbed the ball and called a TO. Why a key play? Because they only had 1 TO after that. As UD was making their run RI wanted to call a TO but couldn't because it would have been their last.

I forgot about the play where they called the foul on KD when the replay showed him making zero contact. I find it hard to blame an official when they miss a call. There's a lot going on at any given time. But when they make a call that simply didn't exist, I have to ask what the heck they are doing blowing the whistle.

On the KP undercut call, that was another clear WTF moment. So apparently if you run into the scrum and leap over someone's back and then fall awkwardly that's a guaranteed way to get a foul on the other team? Boxing out is illegal if the other player jumps in the air over your back??

Man, I was really fired up at the refs last night.
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
ruechalgrin (01-07-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Whacker View Post
The whole game you just felt like if the Flyer's could hang around they'd make the plays at the end to wrap it up. It's just what they do. These seniors have been in just about every scenario imaginable.
Bingo. They have playmakers, but their DNA is closing in the last 5 minutes with a lock down defense and opportunistic run outs. They have done it for years. To me it just goes back to the junk yard dog mentality in the closing minutes of Schooch, Kyle, Kendall and Charles.

"It's just what they do"??? There's a GEICO ad somewhere in there.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:34 PM

Thanked 6,180 Times in 4,207 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
...but that call left me speechless.
I'm speechless...lol.