UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-04-2016, 08:51 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,140 Posts
ruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond repute
Archie Not Leaving for Any of Jobs Anticipated Opening Up

http://www.campusrush.com/college-ba...641474440.html

Good article. Funny to see fans of UNLV, Memphis, Missouri, Rutgers, Illinois, G Tech, OK St, Washington, etc. think they will get Archie.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ruechalgrin For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (03-11-2016), Tony T 71 (03-05-2016)
Advertisement
Old 03-04-2016, 08:57 PM
Colonel

MikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant future
I like seeing Danny Hurley's name mentioned in multiple spots. As far as I'm concerned, the sooner I don't have to watch his consistent crying the better.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to MikeF For This Totally Excellent Post:
66flyer (03-11-2016), C-time (03-04-2016), flyerfanatic86 (03-07-2016), JimBo (03-10-2016), moville (03-04-2016)
Old 03-04-2016, 09:18 PM
Captain

Angry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud of
I like Danny Hurley. He is one tough SOB and his players do play hard for him. Next year his team should reap the awards of an outstanding year.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:45 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,563 Times in 944 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
Many of these are potential graveyard jobs, just ask BG. Archie would be wise to go while his stock is high if he can find a "terminal job", one that he can stay in for as long as he wants to. Not sure any of these offer that in terms of a great place to live and the opportunity for consistent success. Most seem to be middling jobs in their conferences, sort of like being the Richmond of the A10. Not often able to compete at the highest level of the conference, but not the dregs. Still, I don't know when his stock will be higher. Next year we lose our best player and Arch has yet to deliver a conference championship. May make a few of these seem attractive.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:08 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,396 Times in 713 Posts
Beatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond repute
He already has a career show-stopper terminal job. Seriously, if he wants a forever position, he has it; just keep performing, and he will never have to worry about it...done deal. Best arena, best fans, best area of the country for college hoops, substantially above average conference, and seven figure compensation package. There is really no school on that list that can offer anything really more.

Last edited by Beatty Town Coach; 03-04-2016 at 10:11 PM..
10 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Beatty Town Coach For This Totally Excellent Post:
AC91 (03-04-2016), Bill McPeek (03-10-2016), cobra8u (03-06-2016), CT Flyer (03-04-2016), Flyer 86 (03-05-2016), ihflyer (03-28-2016), T-Bone 84 (03-04-2016), TMPH66 (03-04-2016), TommyGola (03-04-2016), UD62 (03-05-2016)
Old 03-04-2016, 10:48 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 3,077 Times in 1,230 Posts
NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Angry John View Post
I like Danny Hurley. He is one tough SOB and his players do play hard for him. Next year his team should reap the awards of an outstanding year.
We'll have to agree to disagree as I don't equate whining with toughness nor would I consider a middle of the pack finish in the A10 as outstanding and I just don't like Hurley!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to NCkevi For This Totally Excellent Post:
JimBo (03-10-2016), TerryK_67 (03-04-2016)
Old 03-04-2016, 11:51 PM
Captain

Angry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud ofAngry John has much to be proud of
He fights for his kids and they play hard for him. Injuries decimated Rhody this year. Watch out next year.
Mad Props to Angry John For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (03-05-2016)
Old 03-05-2016, 08:04 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Flyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond repute
Only non-graveyard job there is Rutgers. They are 0-32 since playing in the Big 10. Win your first game in the Big 10 for Rutgers and they will shower you with anything you want and can possibly desire or ever. You will have already moved the program forward.

Just kidding. Archie, don't leave.
Mad Props to Flyer68 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-05-2016)
Old 03-05-2016, 11:36 AM

Thanked 6,193 Times in 4,215 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
It is surprising that schools are still giving out these very generous/one-sided contracts, such as with Oklahoma State and Memphis. These contracts seem like a great way to really hurt a program badly for quite a while if things go south.

Memphis owes their coach $10 million no matter what under any seperation scenario: resigns, fired, etc., even if he leaves for another school. OSU owes their coach $7 million.

This is similar to what happened at GT with Hewitt, Hewitt had an annual perpetually-renewing contract extension clause in his contract. GT owed Hewitt approximately $7 million when they fired him.

From the article:

Memphis: Memphis faces the quandary of firing Josh Pastner and paying him more than a $10 million buyout. Pastner's contract reportedly doesn't have offsets, meaning that he'll get virtually every dime, even if he gets another job. (This editorial in the Commericial Appeal gives great perspective to the degree of irresponsibility of the contract.)

If he's fired, Pastner's deal could be remembered as one of the worst contracts in the history of college sports. (Even Charlie Weis' agent is blown away how lopsided the deal is against the school.) Memphis is in a terrible spot, as it can't afford to fire Pastner but realistically can't afford not to with rapidly dwindling attendance. It will be borderline untenable financially to fire him. It would be just as awkward to keep him amid a season filled with garish losses to UT Arlington, East Carolina, Tulane and USF. The best solution here is if Pastner can find another job and the university allows him to walk. Pastner has a poor reputation as a tactician. Can an athletic director sell a coach to a fan base that a school is willing to consider paying $10 million to go away?

Oklahoma State: The Cowboys will owe Ford $7.2 million when they fire him, a tribute to the astonishingly short-sighted 10-year extension the school gave him in 2009. Were that many people lining up for Travis Ford?

Last edited by ud2; 03-05-2016 at 11:59 AM..
Old 03-05-2016, 01:12 PM
Colonel

Bill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud of
I could see Archie leaving for a NC, Louisville, or Kentucky, but none of the others are an upgrade from his current position.

I saw Ken Rice (Monmouth) noted a couple of times. I view him an "up & comer" and liked the way he dealt with us in Orlando.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:03 PM

Thanked 15,917 Times in 6,998 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NCkevi View Post
I just don't like Hurley!
Originally Posted by Angry John View Post
I like Danny Hurley.
Love him or hate him, Rutgers just fired their coach and Hurley is #1 on their list.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:58 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,703 Times in 1,669 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Bill202 View Post
I could see Archie leaving for a NC, Louisville, or Kentucky, but none of the others are an upgrade from his current position.

I saw Ken Rice (Monmouth) noted a couple of times. I view him an "up & comer" and liked the way he dealt with us in Orlando.
King Rice.
Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
jerseyflyer09 (03-11-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 05:12 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,248 Times in 1,129 Posts
Bat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond repute
I don't know why anyone would want the Rutgers job. They've seldom been any good and their facilities are second rate. Barring a miracle, they will remain a second tier club in the Big Ten for years to come. IMHO, Hurley could do a lot better if he waits a while and he has a good thing going at Rhoddy.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:17 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,198 Times in 584 Posts
Bill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond repute
Hurley to the "Banks of the Old Raritan"?.........his roots are in New Jersey. RU athletics are a MESS!
Old 03-10-2016, 11:44 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,020 Times in 479 Posts
Flyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant future
I recently got to attend the UD game at URI. I'd never been before but came away very impressed. Never been to that part of the country, but with the program he's got, the quality of the school, the quality of life, the good facilities, i think he has a chance to be a perennial top 3 or 4 programs in the A10 which is the equivalent of getting to the NCAA almost every year. He had some bad luck this year. I'd be very wary of Rutgers. He can build a much better program at URI over the next three years and have a much better pick of jobs.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:27 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,357 Times in 1,347 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
My guess is Hurley is getting a bit antsy because his brother, who was his assistant, has already landed a P5 job. My guess is he'll stay one more year at URI because EC Mathews will be back and they have a chance to be very good next year. Then I think you'll see him leave for a P5 job.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:33 AM
1st Lieutenant

jerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to behold
Hurley was offered Rutgers before...I believe after his first year at URI. He turned it down and got a big raise. Now 4 years into his tenure he still hasn't made the tournament (not all on him, of course) and Rutgers is no longer in the American but the BIG...I think he looks at that opportunity differently. I think he's a very good coach and would have URI at a very high level in this league (probably would have this year if not for the injuries mentioned plenty of times). I'm 50/50 if he stays or goes to RU if offered. RU is in a good recruiting ground where he has plenty of connections of course and in one of the best conferences in existence...he's gonna take a look
Mad Props to jerseyflyer09 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (03-11-2016)
Old 03-11-2016, 10:09 AM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
http://hoopdirt.com/job-tracker-2016-coaching-changes/

Here is a list of the coaching changes so far for d1, d2, d3, naia, and juco.

I would think that some of Archie's assistants will start to be mentioned for some of these jobs.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:28 AM

Thanked 10,188 Times in 5,912 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Never been to Rutgers, but they are said to have very poor facilities and commitment.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:06 PM

Stanford fires Johnny Dawkins.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-.../story/1756825

Former UD assistant Dan Hipsher out at Texas Rio Grande Valley.

http://hoopdirt.com/di-dirt-sources-...grande-valley/

Trent Johnson out at TCU.

Last edited by ud2; 03-15-2016 at 04:13 PM..
Old 03-16-2016, 07:19 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Flyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond repute
In NJ newspaper today - Rutgers to offer Dan Hurley at Rhode Island a 6 year contract but did not say amount. Word is the Hurley is "mulling his options" because he feels he has a NCAA bound team coming back next year. Hurley turned Rutgers down three years ago because of poor facilities etc. and while the commitment to improve the facilities etc. has been made, nothing has been done about it since he last turned Rutgers down.

Reportedly after Hurley, Rutgers is looking at GWU's Lonergan because he improved the Vermont and GWU programs. However, because he is from Maryland, the paper said that he may use Rutgers as a bargaining chip with GWU.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:34 AM
Major General

kiefaber455 is infamous around these partskiefaber455 is infamous around these partskiefaber455 is infamous around these partskiefaber455 is infamous around these partskiefaber455 is infamous around these partskiefaber455 is infamous around these partskiefaber455 is infamous around these partskiefaber455 is infamous around these parts
Reportedly after Hurley, Rutgers is looking at GWU's Lonergan because he improved the Vermont and GWU programs. However, because he is from Maryland, the paper said that he may use Rutgers as a bargaining chip with GWU.[/QUOTE

Yeah, he'd have a long way to travel to get kicked out of one of his daughter's basketball games.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to kiefaber455 For This Totally Excellent Post:
MikeF (03-16-2016), Radar (03-16-2016), rollo (03-16-2016)
Old 03-16-2016, 09:03 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,198 Times in 584 Posts
Bill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer68 View Post
In NJ newspaper today - Rutgers to offer Dan Hurley at Rhode Island a 6 year contract but did not say amount. Word is the Hurley is "mulling his options" because he feels he has a NCAA bound team coming back next year. Hurley turned Rutgers down three years ago because of poor facilities etc. and while the commitment to improve the facilities etc. has been made, nothing has been done about it since he last turned Rutgers down.

Reportedly after Hurley, Rutgers is looking at GWU's Lonergan because he improved the Vermont and GWU programs. However, because he is from Maryland, the paper said that he may use Rutgers as a bargaining chip with GWU.
My "Deep Throat" has told me Hurley wants a 6 year contract at @ 2 million per year. He also has a 1 million buyout from URI. The present AD , Hobbs, is from Seton Hall.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:07 AM
1st Lieutenant

jerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to behold
agreed on Hurley

Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
I like seeing Danny Hurley's name mentioned in multiple spots. As far as I'm concerned, the sooner I don't have to watch his consistent crying the better.
I agree. You don't need to like his style but the more good coaches we have in this league the better. Hope he stays, they could be really good next year.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:51 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 10,129 Times in 2,615 Posts
lhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond repute
Hurley not going to Rutgers

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein · 2m2 minutes ago

BREAKING: URI's Dan Hurley has removed his name from consideration for the Rutgers head coaching vacancy, sources told @CBSSports.

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein · 1m1 minute ago

Dan Hurley's commitment to the kids at Rhode Island was ultimately the deciding factor in his decision, sources told @CBSSports.
Mad Props to lhsgolf19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-16-2016)
Old 03-16-2016, 12:00 PM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
It would seem to me that the Rutgers job is a dead end job. What are the chances they ever compete for a B1G title or how often could they make the dance? Northwestern comes to mind.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:59 PM

jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Do not like Hurley, but he is a good coach and great for the A10. Glad he is staying.

Maybe Rutgers hires BG.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:18 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by lhsgolf19 View Post
Hurley not going to Rutgers

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein · 2m2 minutes ago

BREAKING: URI's Dan Hurley has removed his name from consideration for the Rutgers head coaching vacancy, sources told @CBSSports.

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein · 1m1 minute ago

Dan Hurley's commitment to the kids at Rhode Island was ultimately the deciding factor in his decision, sources told @CBSSports.
I had this reaction to learning that Danny Hurley is not leaving the A10 and that I will have to continue to watch him:

His brother's reaction was not totally dissimilar in learning that he won't also be joining a power conference:

Mad Props to priceg75 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (03-16-2016)
Old 03-20-2016, 03:17 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,956 Times in 534 Posts
shapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond repute
Pitt job open?

If Jamie Dixon goes to TCU and the Pitt job is available, I wonder who Pitt will pursue?

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...o-coach-at-tcu
Old 03-20-2016, 03:26 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,119 Posts
BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by shapanud View Post
If Jamie Dixon goes to TCU and the Pitt job is available, I wonder who Pitt will pursue?

That one would have me a little concerned.....
Mad Props to BRob2Perryman3 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-20-2016)
Old 03-20-2016, 03:56 PM
Brigadier General

FLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by shapanud View Post

If he leaves for what amounts to be a downgrade it sounds like Pitt is letting him walk. Kudos to them. If it happens and Archie doesn't take it, I will be elated. That might be his dream job, contrary to popular belief here. I see him at Pitt before I see him at tOSU like some do here.
Mad Props to FLYER5 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-20-2016)
Old 03-20-2016, 04:33 PM
Colonel

Atlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by FLYER5 View Post
If he leaves for what amounts to be a downgrade it sounds like Pitt is letting him walk. Kudos to them. If it happens and Archie doesn't take it, I will be elated. That might be his dream job, contrary to popular belief here. I see him at Pitt before I see him at tOSU like some do here.
I believe they will go after older brother first, if money is no object for Pitt. I believe he would leave the Pac12 for the ACC. Plus he played for Pitt

Last edited by Atlantic 10; 03-20-2016 at 05:00 PM..
Mad Props to Atlantic 10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (03-20-2016)
Old 03-20-2016, 05:11 PM
General

Thanked 4,349 Times in 2,139 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
Pitt would have to go after Sean first, 1st he's a grad, 2nd, he's proven more.
Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (03-20-2016)
Old 03-20-2016, 05:22 PM
Lieutenant General

CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Medford View Post
But if Sean doesn't go......
Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (03-20-2016)
Old 03-20-2016, 06:18 PM
General

Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
If Sean doesn't go, then I would assume Archie would be next on their list, though there is the chance that neither brother wants to coach in their home town, sometimes going back home doesn't work out for the best (Ken Griffey Jr)
Old 03-20-2016, 06:28 PM
Brigadier General

FLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond repute
I agree.
I still see Archie coaching there though from the hometown angle. Restore it to the undisputed best in-state program. The younger brother who left after big brother stayed and played at the local university, only to return home as coach of that team.....? Dad is a legend in PA. Don't get me wrong, I hope it's not a destination for him. But it could be a viable? option if a vacancy does present itself.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:43 PM
Brigadier General

Archie coaching there would make no sense if Sean wants the job. That is a given.
Thing is it's not a step up from where Sean is coaching. I know it would have no bearing on the draw from coaching the home team, but it is a business. Sean making the jump to UofA would take a cut in pay I would think to coach Pitt. Not that his recent records don't warrant a....cut.

Last edited by FLYER5; 03-20-2016 at 06:49 PM..
Old 03-20-2016, 06:59 PM
Colonel

Atlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud of
I don't know what Dixon is getting at Pitt, but Miller is making over 3 mill at UA. Archie is making in the 2.5 area after the deal put together by some big donors last year. It depends on what Pitt wants to spend.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:16 PM

3 million for a school in that league is a piece of cake. Does Sean and the family want to give up the great weather?
Old 03-20-2016, 07:23 PM
General

Thanked 3,924 Times in 2,156 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Pitt you've got a lot a competition to get into the top half of that league. UNC, Duke, Syracuse and Louisville have hall of fame coaches. Virginia is rolling under Bennett. Miami under Coach L and Notre Dame are competitive programs. NC State and Florida St land McDonald's AAs, Brownell has Clemson competitive and Buzz Williams has Virginia Tech on the come up.

Not many off nights in that in conference and I'm not sure Pitt is one of the 6 best jobs in that league
Old 03-20-2016, 09:42 PM
General

OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
TCU is reportedly “closing in” on a deal with Pittsburgh coach Jamie Dixon http://on.si.com/1Plp0rh
Old 03-20-2016, 10:52 PM
General

Thanked 2,830 Times in 1,553 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
Something I don't understand is this - I don't think Jamie Dixon has set the world on fire at Pitt...why would TCU be willing to increase his pay?
Old 03-20-2016, 11:09 PM
General

Originally Posted by TommyGola View Post
Something I don't understand is this - I don't think Jamie Dixon has set the world on fire at Pitt...why would TCU be willing to increase his pay?
He's an alumn and that's probably the homerun hire for them
Old 03-20-2016, 11:38 PM
Major General

DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TommyGola View Post
Basketball has always been a complete afterthought but TCU wants to change that. And Jaime Dixon is a huge name that would excite TCU alumni and breathe life into the program. Has he set the world on fire at Pitt? If you are defining that in terms of deep NCAA runs then probably not, but would TCU sign up for all those Tourney appearances? Heck yes they would. So a big name and track record of success is worth a whole lot of money to them. I think he would be a great hire for them if they could get him. And honestly even if Dixon declines he is probably doing his alma mater a huge favor by even considering it as on some level it puts a little shine on a job that is probably not real widely coveted.
Old 03-20-2016, 11:49 PM
Major

FlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to behold
Archie quoted less than a WEEK ago saying he's very, very happy at Dayton and looking
to bring the program to an even higher level. So why is there this thread? Are you people deaf, dumb
and blind?
Actually, I should say why are people still saying Archie may take
this job, that job....I highly doubt any other top 25 rpi
fans are going in and on like this. We've arrived, and have
a great coach. He's not going anywhere...enjoy

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by FlyerinChicago; 03-21-2016 at 12:53 AM..
Old 03-21-2016, 12:07 AM
Major

podcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant future
Sean Miller would be Pitt's first choice.
Kevin Willard would be number 2 and the one most likely getting the Pitt job.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to podcast411 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Atlantic 10 (03-21-2016), rollo (03-21-2016)
Old 03-21-2016, 12:54 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FlyerinChicago View Post
Archie quoted less than a WEEK ago saying he's very, very happy at Dayton and looking
to bring the program to an even higher level. So why is there this thread? Are you people deaf, dumb
and blind?
Posted via Mobile Device
None of the above. You believe what you want but most people realize what a coach says one day may differ the next. Example, Thad Matta, happy at Xavier no intentions of leaving, great recruiting class coming in etc, as he drove to Columbus that same day and was spotted on tOSU campus. Next day he announced was taking the HC job at tOSU.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Avid Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Dogdaddy (03-21-2016), mikeymo85 (03-21-2016)
Old 03-21-2016, 01:36 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 3,077 Times in 1,230 Posts
NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DallasFlyer View Post
Basketball has always been a complete afterthought but TCU wants to change that. And Jaime Dixon is a huge name that would excite TCU alumni and breathe life into the program. Has he set the world on fire at Pitt? If you are defining that in terms of deep NCAA runs then probably not, but would TCU sign up for all those Tourney appearances? Heck yes they would. So a big name and track record of success is worth a whole lot of money to them..
I'm still not convinced he's a name that generates exciement. I believe over the past 5 seasons he's 1-3 in the NCAAs, 0-1 in the NIT and CBI champs
Old 03-21-2016, 01:54 AM
General

compared to their stature that's about as proven a coach as they can get
Old 03-21-2016, 07:08 AM
Lieutenant General

and blind?

Posted via Mobile Device
Example two: Steve Alford a few years ago signed like a 10 year extension at New Mexico and said he was happy and the extension was proof that he and the university were on the same page and he wasn't going anywhere. Within days he was signing on with UCLA. And don't forget Rick Pitino a long time ago saying he loved it at Providence and would not be going anywhere only to accept the Knicks job days later, an episode that PC fans still feel duped about.

Now I'm not saying Archie will do that but I think it's naive to think it's not a possibility.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:10 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

OSU Flyer:

You mentioned above about the heavy competition in the ACC and there are no nights off when league play starts. You are 100% correct and I think if Dixon takes the TCU job, he recognizes that and is getting out of town early. If he builds up the TCU program, he can pat himself on the back at the expense of Pitt. I can't see Sean Miller leaving a program always on top for Pitt, which appears to be competitive but struggling. I really can't see Archie leaving and being faced with having to re-build another program unless the money is too great and he really wants to go home. He is ready to move us to the next level. Maybe Pitt would want a local coach to convince Pgh kids to stay home. However, everyone seems to agree that Pitt is the job opening most feared by us. I hope he stays.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:20 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,119 Posts
BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
Jamie Dixon's reason for leaving and Sean Miller's reason for passing on the job are the same....look at the pathetic showing of Pitt fans in St. Louis. Heard Weber State had better representation. And Missouri ain't exactly down the street for Ogden, Utah
Old 03-21-2016, 08:22 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,740 Times in 1,012 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
and blind?

Posted via Mobile Device
One would have to have been dropped here from mars over the last 30 plus years and quite naive to actually believe that these words, in general, mean anything and that they should be etched in stone? I will guarantee you that AM will NOT be the UD coach for his entire coaching career and that he also won't be here between now and the next 3 years and whether he gets offered the Pitt/OSU/ or any other job he'll precipitate that decision by saying EXACTLY the same words he said a week ago........

Last edited by steve; 03-21-2016 at 08:55 AM..
Old 03-21-2016, 09:22 AM
General

I guess we are forgetting another native son, though forgetting probably isn't the right word, as we realize there is little chance that Cal leaves UK to return home, but if you are Pitt and you have an opening, you have to at least leave a message for his agent.

anyhoo, Dixon has been there a long time, I want to say like 14 seasons or something. Returning home kind of makes sense, he'll get 5 additional seasons guaranteed, while you can sense people in Pitt growing weary. I'm sure he'd only make the move if the money is right as well.

Last edited by Medford; 03-21-2016 at 09:26 AM..
Old 03-21-2016, 10:17 AM
Major General

I guess we are forgetting another native son, though forgetting probably isn't the right word, as we realize there is little chance that Cal leaves UK to return home, but if you are Pitt and you have an opening, you have to at least leave a message for his agent.
If you are calling Calipari, then I suppose you are calling Sean Miller too.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:54 AM

Mick Cronin, at UC, leading candidate for UNLV? Any truth to this?
Old 03-21-2016, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
Mick Cronin, at UC, leading candidate for UNLV? Any truth to this?
Hard to believe the numbers work for getting Cronin or any good coach.
ww.cincinnati.com/story/sports/college/university-of-cincinnati/2016/03/20/report-unlv-interested-ucs-cronin/82046578/
Old 03-21-2016, 01:30 PM
General

CBS Sports Radio Verified account ‏@CBSSportsRadio 24m24 minutes ago According to @JonRothstein, it seems like Jamie Dixon could be on his way out from Pittsburgh. http://tikiandtierney.radio.cbssports.com/2016/03/21/rothstein-jamie-dixon-has-said-its-time-to-move-on-from-pittsburgh/?cid=twitter_CBSSportsRadio …
Old 03-21-2016, 01:57 PM
General

TCU, Pitt’s Dixon closing in on deal, sources say

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/...e67273737.html
Old 03-21-2016, 02:09 PM
Major

FlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by steve View Post
One would have to have been dropped here from mars over the last 30 plus years and quite naive to actually believe that these words, in general, mean anything and that they should be etched in stone? I will guarantee you that AM will NOT be the UD coach for his entire coaching career and that he also won't be here between now and the next 3 years and whether he gets offered the Pitt/OSU/ or any other job he'll precipitate that decision by saying EXACTLY the same words he said a week ago........
I guess my point is, if Archie was let's say 45 years old, started head coaching at SW Idaho State, bounced around a few other jobs and then landed here 5 years ago, then yes..I'd be petrified that he has one foot out the door...and yes I get coach speak.

That said, he's 37 years old, Dayton gave him his first job (loyalty) and he likely has 20-30 more years of coaching ahead of him. His name will very likely always be named in top 20 circles-and he'll have his pick of some jobs- but I personally think he wants to see how far he can bring this program (as he has said-naive of me I know).

Now if he feels in a few years that he has reached his ceiling, or there is a university scandal or the program drops from injuries and defections etc., sure he will very likely leave. As crazy as it sounds to you conspiracy theorists, I think he's here for at least a few more years and to constantly mention him for the next big time opportunity (OSU is anything but that) is
"naive".
Old 03-21-2016, 03:58 PM
Major General

steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
I guess my point is, if Archie was let's say 45 years old, started head coaching at SW Idaho State, bounced around a few other jobs and then landed here 5 years ago, then yes..I'd be petrified that he has one foot out the door...and yes I get coach speak.

That said, he's 37 years old, Dayton gave him his first job (loyalty) and he likely has 20-30 more years of coaching ahead of him. His name will very likely always be named in top 20 circles-and he'll have his pick of some jobs- but I personally think he wants to see how far he can bring this program (as he has said-naive of me I know).

Now if he feels in a few years that he has reached his ceiling, or there is a university scandal or the program drops from injuries and defections etc., sure he will very likely leave. As crazy as it sounds to you conspiracy theorists, I think he's here for at least a few more years and to constantly mention him for the next big time opportunity (OSU is anything but that) is
"naive".
Fair enough and valid points on your end....My only real disagreement is you gotta strike while it's hot and he's certainly been the flavor of the month(s) these past couple years.....

You never know you run into a bad academic gig, you get some big injuries and you might take a hit for a couple years and the next Archie rises up, or the schools that you "put on the list" that almost every coach has entered into his new contract get filled up...

I have no real idea outside of anyone here but I'd wager that Ohio State is at the top and that Pitt would be very intriguing to him being from where he's from, dad down the road, and the ACC conference...
Old 03-21-2016, 04:00 PM
General of the Air Force

lhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond repute
Jon Rothstein
✔ ‎‎@JonRothstein

BREAKING: TCU has hired Pitt's Jamie Dixon as its next head basketball coach, sources told @CBSSports.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:02 PM
General

buckle up
Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer14 (03-21-2016)
Old 03-21-2016, 04:11 PM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,948 Times in 2,944 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette look at Dixon and TCU, pre-announcement:

http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/...mie-Dixon.html

I particularly like #7:

Please remember in every coaching search: EVERYBODY IS LYING TO YOU.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:21 PM

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,005 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
interesting read. Doesn't sound like Pitt is interested in investing heavily in their basketball program. I found it interesting that Chris said the Pitt representation in St Louis was abysmal, no more fans there than Weber State.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:23 PM

Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
Jeff Borzello ‏@jeffborzello
For what it's worth, I don't think Archie Miller is taking Pitt either. Not sure it's even a top-half job in the ACC.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:23 PM

Not worried about this. If Archie leaves, he leaves. It's going to happen eventually. Right now UD is well positioned no matter what happens.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:32 PM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,948 Times in 2,944 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
Glanced at the "Users Online" # for the UD Pride MB and it is at game thread levels (125+) at 4:30 PM on a Monday afternoon.

Not that anyone is worried about Archie taking the Pitt job or anything.
Mad Props to Swampy Meadows For This Totally Excellent Post:
SLUFLYER (03-21-2016)
Old 03-21-2016, 05:22 PM
Major

podcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant future
http://www.cardiachill.com/2016/3/21...thers-2016-acc
Old 03-21-2016, 05:23 PM
Major

http://www.cardiachill.com/2016/3/20...ing-candidates
Old 03-21-2016, 05:31 PM

Brad Underwood of SFA may be the current hot babe. He takes some of the glow off of Archie.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:54 PM

rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
*rhetorical

The coach at UNI might be the hottest name in college basketball had they not choked yesterday. As it stands, does anyone even know his name*?
Old 03-21-2016, 05:59 PM
Major

Fan4allUDSports is a name known to allFan4allUDSports is a name known to allFan4allUDSports is a name known to allFan4allUDSports is a name known to allFan4allUDSports is a name known to allFan4allUDSports is a name known to all
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
Brad Underwood of SFA may be the current hot babe. He takes some of the glow off of Archie.
So it is a good thing we lost? Because I don't think we would have lost to Middle Tennessee State. If that is the case would Archie be at a higher level? Either way I think he is here for at least 1 more year and potentially 3 depending on how the 2019 class pans out.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:18 PM

Thanked 17,171 Times in 5,125 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Pitt had the worst fan attendance in St. Louis. Even worse than MTSU and Weber State. What Dixon did there was nothing short of miraculous, but even miracles come to an end. The Pitt job is mid- to lower-tier for that conference.

It's certainly behind:
ND, Syracuse, Louisville, Duke, UNC, NC State, Miami, Florida State, and Virginia in terms of location and upside. Maybe on par with Clemson, Ga Tech, and Virginia Tech. Maybe better than Boston College, Wake Forest. Petersen Events Center is okay. It's not the Yum! Center or PNC Arena.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
"Yeah....220, 221, whatever it takes." - Jack Butler (Mr. Mom)
Old 03-21-2016, 06:28 PM
Major General

Tell you what though...
If current Pitt AD Scott Barnes does manage to hire Archie Miller, you want to know who I'm blaming?

ALL THE IDIOTS FROM DAYTON WHO SENT HIM HATE EMAIL!

http://www.udpride.com/forums/showth...353#post400353
Old 03-21-2016, 06:39 PM
Colonel

Originally Posted by rollo View Post
The coach at UNI might be the hottest name in college basketball had they not choked yesterday. As it stands, does anyone even know his name*?
Jacobson
Old 03-21-2016, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Atlantic 10 View Post
Jacobson
Since you don't know, 'Rhetorical' means don't answer.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:31 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Class of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to behold
KDKA news report just had a phone interview with Dixon. He stated he and the players pushing former Pitt standout and current assistant coach Brandin Knight for the job. A sportscaster then speculated Sean Miller may be a target. No mention of Archie...yet.

Last edited by Class of 73 Alum; 03-21-2016 at 07:34 PM..
Old 03-21-2016, 07:34 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
If Sean Miller Takes the Pitt Job

Archie will be high on Arizona's list to replace him.
Mad Props to Alberto Strasse For This Totally Excellent Post:
Viperstick (03-22-2016)
Old 03-21-2016, 07:54 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

There is no better truth in the coaching search or maybe in life than Everybody Is Lying to You. "I am never going to leave here at good old Sucker U. Thank you and it's great to be the new coach here a Sucker U-2."

I think the old saying was "Believe 100% of what you see and nothing of what you read."

In Pittsburgh I think Pitt is on the bottom of the sports calendar and attendance after the Steelers, Penguins, Pirates and I think Dixon knows that the days of Pitt basketball are over for now and it's time to get out of town. Even Duquesne seems to be rebounding ahead of Pitt.

What better way to find out about Archie than to call Sean because I definitely believe his input and recommendation had something to do with Archie at Dayton.

Call to Sean Miller: "you interested?" No, but call my brother, Archie."

I would also believe that, if he is a former Pitt standout and a current assistant who knows the players, the recruiting pipeline etc., that Knight would be the best place to start and end. How's that for redirecting the process away from Archie.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:57 PM
1st Lieutenant

Flyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud of
Funny how things work out sometimes. I seem to recall that Dixon interviewed for the Wright State job and didn't get it. Then Howland left for UCLA and Dixon was elevated from Pitt assistant to top job.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:37 PM
General

Thanked 2,341 Times in 1,412 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
Pitt had the worst fan attendance in St. Louis. Even worse than MTSU and Weber State. What Dixon did there was nothing short of miraculous, but even miracles come to an end. The Pitt job is mid- to lower-tier for that conference.

It's certainly behind:
ND, Syracuse, Louisville, Duke, UNC, NC State, Miami, Florida State, and Virginia in terms of location and upside. Maybe on par with Clemson, Ga Tech, and Virginia Tech. Maybe better than Boston College, Wake Forest. Petersen Events Center is okay. It's not the Yum! Center or PNC Arena.
That's really amazing. Not long ago, they had a really good run, including all of LeVance Fields nine years of eligibility. Then again, when I was at Dayton in the early 80's X was no different than Miami.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:42 PM
General of the Air Force

Gary Parrish Verified account
‏@GaryParrishCBS

BREAKING: Stephen F. Austin’s Brad Underwood has agreed to become Oklahoma State’s next head coach, @CBSSports has learned. Story coming.
Mad Props to lhsgolf19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Atlantic 10 (03-21-2016)
Old 03-21-2016, 08:52 PM
Just off the Jet

Rita 1 has a spectacular aura aboutRita 1 has a spectacular aura about
I don't think Archie goes to Pitt. Why would he coach at a school in the ACC that is not his Alma mater? I think he stays at least one more year. That is just my two cents.
Mad Props to Rita 1 For This Totally Excellent Post:
SLUFLYER (03-21-2016)
Old 03-21-2016, 09:21 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,472 Times in 1,290 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Jeff Goodman reporting that Sean Miller will not be going to Pittburgh.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:25 PM
1st Lieutenant

Pikaar Modeling Agency is a glorious beacon of lightPikaar Modeling Agency is a glorious beacon of lightPikaar Modeling Agency is a glorious beacon of lightPikaar Modeling Agency is a glorious beacon of lightPikaar Modeling Agency is a glorious beacon of lightPikaar Modeling Agency is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post

It's certainly behind:
Better chance of winning a national title at UD or Pitt? Better chance of winning consistently and making $2million for the next 20 years at UD or Pitt?
Old 03-22-2016, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Pikaar Modeling Agency View Post
Better chance of winning a national title at UD or Pitt? Better chance of winning consistently and making $2million for the next 20 years at UD or Pitt?
Question #1...Pitt...going to be real tough to win a title at UD, I am just being honest...being in the ACC helps Pitt there IMO.

Only UMass? has made the Final 4 from the A10.

Question #2...UD...ACC is brutal...so many good teams to try to stay ahead of.

What was Pitt like before Howland turned them around?

Last edited by ud2; 03-22-2016 at 12:26 AM..
Old 03-22-2016, 08:07 AM
Captain

224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
Question #1...Pitt...going to be real tough to win a title at UD, I am just being honest...being in the ACC helps Pitt there IMO.

Only UMass? has made the Final 4 from the A10.

Question #2...UD...ACC is brutal...so many good teams to try to stay ahead of.

What was Pitt like before Howland turned them around?
Technically VCU and GM made the final 4. While they didn't do it as members of the A10 at the time, it wasn't like it was 40 years ago. All very recent.

Is it harder to make it to the final 4 as the top of the A10 or #7 in ACC...this will be an age long debate.

We went to the E8 in 2014. If you took out the top 5-6 programs in ACC -- UL, Duke, UNC, Cuse, UVA -- how many have made the E8 in the past 10 years? ND did it last year I remember, but after that it's a toss up...

IMO Dayton is the better gig

EDIT: a quick look back through the brackets over the past few years showed no acc teams outside of those 5 I mentioned reaching the E8 (exception ND in 15), while in the A10 X and UD did it, and comparable programs like Butler, VCU, Davidson, Whichita St all had runs.

Last edited by 224; 03-22-2016 at 08:24 AM..
Mad Props to 224 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud2 (03-24-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 08:33 AM
Major General

Originally Posted by 224 View Post
Technically VCU and GM made the final 4. While they didn't do it as members of the A10 at the time, it wasn't like it was 40 years ago. All very recent.

Is it harder to make it to the final 4 as the top of the A10 or #7 in ACC...this will be an age long debate.

We went to the E8 in 2014. If you took out the top 5-6 programs in ACC -- UL, Duke, UNC, Cuse, UVA -- how many have made the E8 in the past 10 years? ND did it last year I remember, but after that it's a toss up...

IMO Dayton is the better gig

EDIT: a quick look back through the brackets over the past few years showed no acc teams outside of those 5 I mentioned reaching the E8 (exception ND in 15), while in the A10 X and UD did it, and comparable programs like Butler, VCU, Davidson, Whichita St all had runs.
No idea who/what is a better gig but you make very valid points......
Old 03-22-2016, 08:44 AM
Major

Bill Elwood has a spectacular aura aboutBill Elwood has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
Example two: Steve Alford a few years ago signed like a 10 year extension at New Mexico and said he was happy and the extension was proof that he and the university were on the same page and he wasn't going anywhere. Within days he was signing on with UCLA. And don't forget Rick Pitino a long time ago saying he loved it at Providence and would not be going anywhere only to accept the Knicks job days later, an episode that PC fans still feel duped about.

You're right CT, these contracts don't mean a thing. Same with today's swirlings about Cronin and UNLV - he just signed a seven year extension less than two years ago!
Mad Props to Bill Elwood For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-22-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 09:36 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Class of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to behold
Pgh sportstalk show had Jon Rothstein on this morning . He downplayed Archie as a candidate...stating why would you leave one of the top 2 programs in the A10 for what is now a bottom 4 job in the ACC
Mad Props to Class of 73 Alum For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-22-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
So now Underwood takes the OK St job. Great program and area. So I guess Archie is once again the hottest babe.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:56 AM

Thanked 4,302 Times in 1,764 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Bill Elwood View Post
You're right CT, these contracts don't mean a thing. Same with today's swirlings about Cronin and UNLV - he just signed a seven year extension less than two years ago!

In contract law, they do mean something. The contracts have buyouts when either party terminates early. Normally, the hiring school will pay the buyout amount for the coach. That buyout money can be put to good purpose.

UD used the buyout money from GT to pay for the recruiting expense for Archie.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Atlantic 10 (03-22-2016), flyerfanatic86 (03-22-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 10:02 AM
Major General

Originally Posted by Class of 73 Alum View Post
Pgh sportstalk show had Jon Rothstein on this morning . He downplayed Archie as a candidate...stating why would you leave one of the top 2 programs in the A10 for what is now a bottom 4 job in the ACC
It does seem like the best circumstances to move would be to go to a program that has it rolling (keep it rolling) or a program that has unrealized potential and low-to-realistic expectations (TCU). Pitt is not rolling and has pretty lofty expectations so that makes it a tough gig.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:13 AM

CBS college basketball insider Jon Rothstein joined “The Fan Morning Show” Tuesday to talk about Pitt beginning their search.

However, he has a message for Pitt fans – don’t expect Sean Miller to be Dixon’s replacement.

“I can tell you, by talking to somebody very close to Sean last night, that Sean feels that Pitt is a great place to visit, but barring something unforeseen…Sean Miller doesn’t have interest in leaving Arizona to come back to his alma mater,” Rothstein said. “So now, if you’re a resident of western Pennsylvania, it’s best that you turn the page from that chapter.”

Rothstein also doesn’t expect Archie Miller to take over the Pitt’s head coaching duties.

“Archie Miller, right now, is in a situation where he has become the new Shaka Smart of the Atlantic 10,” Rothstein said. “Dayton is a perennial top 25 or top 30 program. He’s obviously been given certain resources at Dayton, which he’s very comfortable with. So, I think Archie Miller, too, isn’t a slam dunk to leave Dayton, anyway…He has a program in place to already be at the level which Pitt is trying to get to.”

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2016/...pQrj-U.twitter
9 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Sea Bass For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bat'71 (03-22-2016), chicago92 (03-22-2016), CJ2etc (03-22-2016), flyhi524 (03-22-2016), Furio (03-22-2016), LI Flyer (03-22-2016), Runnin' Rebel (03-22-2016), San Diego Flyer (03-22-2016), SC_Flyer (03-22-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 12:27 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

I think Pitt will test the outside coach interest and then give it to the man who wants the job, knows the team, the city and the league - Dixon's assistant. Unless the assistant follow Dixon to TCU.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:42 PM

Nice arena on campus, basically on the outer edge of downtown, Dixon did well but stalled a little...kind of feels like what happened at Texas with Shaka's predecesser, Rick Barnes...good fan support at Pitt too, tough league though.

10,012 fans per home game in 2015...good, but not great/elite support.

Arena seats 12,508.

Last edited by ud2; 03-22-2016 at 01:03 PM..
Old 03-22-2016, 12:46 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,221 Times in 549 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
Rumor from Pitt's Rival forum:

https://pittsburgh.forums.rivals.com...arizona.71541/
Old 03-22-2016, 01:01 PM
Colonel

Danny Hurley name has come up for Pitt job
Old 03-22-2016, 01:14 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by UDGutter2 View Post
Rumor from Pitt's Rival forum:

https://pittsburgh.forums.rivals.com...arizona.71541/
There's that one and the one that Sean Miller is already on the Pitt campus.

https://pittsburgh.forums.rivals.com...-campus.71559/

Of course, I'm sure someone somewhere will say they saw Archie in PA today too.