Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 01-14-2017, 02:27 PM
Captain

UDSpud is a jewel in the roughUDSpud is a jewel in the roughUDSpud is a jewel in the rough
Archie to OSU ?

Sorry I can not link this. In CBS SPORTS - college football - teams - Ohio State ( under Big team ) is a 1/13/2017 247 Sports "Friday chat transcript"
with Alex Gleitman. Most of this is football, as expected, but about 1/2 down (using grey bar on far right) is a question regarding Motta replacement. Then there is a large picture of Archie. Mr. Gleitman names him as his choice to be the next OUS basketball coach. Gleitman does imply Brad Stevens could get the job if willing to leave the Boston Celtics.

IMO, I would like to think that he will stay in Dayton, but might seriously consider OSU and Pitt (still near family) for a better conference and recruiting.
Mad Props to UDSpud For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (01-14-2017)
Advertisement
Old 01-14-2017, 02:34 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,557 Times in 3,702 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDSpud View Post

IMO, I would like to think that he will stay in Dayton, but might seriously consider OSU and Pitt (still near family) for a better conference and recruiting.

It was rumored that Archie passed over the Pitt job when it was available last spring
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
bhflyer5 (01-16-2017), Flyer 86 (01-14-2017), FLYER5 (01-14-2017)
Old 01-14-2017, 02:39 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
Doubt it. When archie came to ud both he and his wife talked about how great it was to be at a school where bball was #1.
Old 01-14-2017, 02:45 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDBrian View Post
Doubt it. When archie came to ud both he and his wife talked about how great it was to be at a school where bball was #1.
Yeah, that doesn't calm me. A new Coach gets introduced, he's going to have a list of positives that apply to his new job. UD being a basketball school is an obvious one. That doesn't mean he wouldn't give up that one positive for others.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:04 PM
General

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
Yeah, that doesn't calm me. A new Coach gets introduced, he's going to have a list of positives that apply to his new job. UD being a basketball school is an obvious one. That doesn't mean he wouldn't give up that one positive for others.
I am not saying it couldn't happen, but I don't think Archie wants to be the "red-headed step-child" in any program. He knows that basketball is an afterthought at tOSU.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:14 PM
Brigadier General

FLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond repute
Alex is a hard worker and a pretty credible source and good writer. But his strength is recruiting football. Don't have to look far to see it in his basketball prediction. I mean Brad Stevens to tOSU? You don't go to tOSU from the Celtics in the real world imo. I still don't see Archie going to the Bucks. I agree it could be a good fit but I don't see it happening. If he does he'll shake up the B1G.

Edit: I still think Archie holds out for the ACC. That could mean some longevity at UD. I just don't see him taking that next-tier job. Not implying that OSU is next-tier as far as money but I think Archie makes the leap to the big time. I was convinced when he didn't go home to coach, and bring back Pitt to relevance. Now tOSU has 5 times the money that Pitt has to throw at Archie but I still think he holds out for a basketball school in the ACC because it's a fit. I just see Archie as the square peg in the round hole in the B1G. Jmo.

Last edited by FLYER5; 01-14-2017 at 08:32 PM..
Mad Props to FLYER5 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (01-16-2017)
Old 01-14-2017, 08:57 PM
2nd Lieutenant

XTOWNFLYER will become famous soon enough
I don't think tOSU but, if Pitino would leave the Louisville, color him gone. That's a top 5 job.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to XTOWNFLYER For This Totally Excellent Post:
bhflyer5 (01-26-2017), FLYER5 (01-14-2017)
Old 01-14-2017, 09:38 PM
Colonel

Atlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud of
That question and answer article was from Bucknuts web site on Archie, Shawn and Stevens
Old 01-14-2017, 11:28 PM
Colonel

TerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Atlantic 10 View Post
That question and answer article was from Bucknuts web site on Archie, Shawn and Stevens
Buckeye fans are delusional.... no chance for any of those 3!
Old 01-15-2017, 01:26 AM
Major

Flyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by XTOWNFLYER View Post
I don't think tOSU but, if Pitino would leave the Louisville, color him gone. That's a top 5 job.
I don't think Archie has enough "Slime Begone" to take that job. He has too much class and wants to build his own dynasty. When he interview he showed up with a phone book size binder which outlined his plan. He is only 1/5 of the way in.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:24 AM
Colonel

Atlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by FLYER5 View Post
Alex is a hard worker and a pretty credible source and good writer. But his strength is recruiting football. Don't have to look far to see it in his basketball prediction. I mean Brad Stevens to tOSU? You don't go to tOSU from the Celtics in the real world imo. I still don't see Archie going to the Bucks. I agree it could be a good fit but I don't see it happening. If he does he'll shake up the B1G.

Edit: I still think Archie holds out for the ACC. That could mean some longevity at UD. I just don't see him taking that next-tier job. Not implying that OSU is next-tier as far as money but I think Archie makes the leap to the big time. I was convinced when he didn't go home to coach, and bring back Pitt to relevance. Now tOSU has 5 times the money that Pitt has to throw at Archie but I still think he holds out for a basketball school in the ACC because it's a fit. I just see Archie as the square peg in the round hole in the B1G. Jmo.
Since Pitt is a ACC job and he declined, it has to be NCState. The question is will that school give him time or will he be on the hot seat in 3 years
Old 01-15-2017, 08:43 AM
Brigadier General

FLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond repute
Unless it's down the road. Pitt is hard to gauge being the hometown team imo. I mean there's no doubt in my mind that Duke and UNC rank above Pitt on his list but he might have reservations about using them as a stepping-stone to get one of those jobs. I could see it either way. He goes to Pitt, raises them to prominence then leaves for his everybody's dream job. Or...him avoiding them altogether to avoid hard feelings down the road.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:20 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,119 Posts
BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
Archie isn't going to a football school. Pitt,UOS and NC State are all football schools. Louisville basketball brings in coin but not like the football team. And you will always play second fiddle to UK.

Archie is King here and the only game in town. He's got a 75 mile long leash. Mark Few does it, Gregg Marshall is doing it. Why can't Archie?

If Kansas,Duke,Kentucky or North Carolina come calling no one would blame him if he jumped. I just can't see him leaving except for one of those 4 schools.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:33 AM
2nd Lieutenant

XTOWNFLYER will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Atlantic 10 View Post
Since Pitt is a ACC job and he declined, it has to be NCState. The question is will that school give him time or will he be on the hot seat in 3 years
NC State is a middle of the road program in that conference. Arch might be an NC State grad but, the challenges to compete would be huge. Arch might be a loyal guy but, taking that job could end up being a career wrecker. No, I don’t think Archie will leave for anything less than “top Shelf”, and conference affiliation alone won’t cut it. After all, Georgia Tech is in the ACC right. With that said let’s look at the situation. From a family standpoint I think anything west of the Mississippi is out. That leaves the B1G, Big Least, SEC and the ACC.

Big East: No job in the Big East is bigger that he could build here. OUT

B1G: Indiana, Mich St., tOSU, I just don’t think he is a Big Ten guy. He is loyal to Matta not the OSU.

SEC: If Kentucky comes calling, who could blame him.

ACC: Duke, North Carolina, Louisville, NC and Duke could have anyone they choose. I’m not sure either of those programs would want an NC State guy and let’s face it, Arch might not be a big enough fish yet.

Louisville: With Pitino on his last legs, the university will want to avoid the scandal factor and get a straight up guy. They will want a proven winner and recruiter. It’s still close enough to home to drive and a top 5 program where basketball is king. In my opinion it's Louisville that has the best chance of stealing Arch away and I don’t think, from a purely logical standpoint, any of us could really blame him for taking that job.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:46 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,133 Times in 5,867 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Don't underestimate the power of going to your alma mater. Don't underestimate the power of coaching at your wife's alma mater and home state. NC State is not a football school, other than be default. Their boosters would give anything to compete with the other two schools. NC State has won and has competed. They are a top tier school based on past performance, league and location. They now get recruits UD can never get, just not enough. If NC St goes looking, Archie may be gone.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by jack72; 01-15-2017 at 09:57 AM..
Old 01-15-2017, 10:14 AM

Thanked 1,650 Times in 838 Posts
Canonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond repute
I'm going to go out on a limb and say I have no idea what Archie will or will not do :-) I hope the powers that be do everything in their power to keep him in the fold.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Canonball For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (01-15-2017), TerryK_67 (01-15-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 11:22 AM
1st Lieutenant

CJ43 is a jewel in the roughCJ43 is a jewel in the roughCJ43 is a jewel in the roughCJ43 is a jewel in the rough
Always felt that the 2017 offseason would be the year Archie leaves. I think Archie is really close with this class and we obviously lose a lot next year. Also always felt that he would go to tOSU. They have the ability to get recruits that UD can not get, he has ties with the school, and its close to home.

Hoping that I'm wrong and that he stays and turns Dayton into a Gonzaga like program.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:35 AM
Captain

PerrymanFan is a jewel in the roughPerrymanFan is a jewel in the roughPerrymanFan is a jewel in the rough
I'm not a fan of Ohio State anything, but no way can we assume Archie wouldn't seriously consider that job. He will be #1 on their list and they will pursue him harder than any school he has already turned down. They're not currently a top tier program, but they're only a couple years removed from it. And assuming Izzo retires in the next 5 years, there's potential for Archie to be the class of the conference.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:03 PM

Thanked 15,876 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
When OSU is 1-9 or 0-10 in the BIG, Archie-to-OSU rumors will be national news. Check out their schedule...it's going to happen.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:37 PM
General

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
Matta has a good recruiting class coming next year...and it is a different kind of recruiting class, as these high school seniors can actually put the ball in the basket. Matta's problem is he recruits a lot of big, highly athletic players, none of whom can shoot a 15-foot jump shot!
Old 01-15-2017, 02:44 PM
General of the Air Force

ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Can someone explain Matta's offense he runs on at least 1/2 of their possessions? At times I feel like I am watching a pick up game with a bunch of guys who have never played together.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:52 PM

Thanked 6,125 Times in 4,170 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
They will not fire Matta for back-to-back non-NCAA seasons IMO...hopefully this is all just baseless speculation.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thad...oaching_record
Old 01-15-2017, 03:53 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by rollo View Post
When OSU is 1-9 or 0-10 in the BIG, Archie-to-OSU rumors will be national news. Check out their schedule...it's going to happen.
Nice prediction, 0-10 not happening!
Old 01-15-2017, 04:28 PM

Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,139 Posts
ruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond repute
I root for Ohio State, Louisville, Indiana, and Michigan.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:40 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 10,038 Times in 2,599 Posts
lhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ruechalgrin View Post
I root for Ohio State, Louisville, Indiana, and Michigan.
Beilein is not getting fired at UM, don't worry about them
Old 01-15-2017, 04:53 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,283 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
OSU 72 MSU 67. He won't be leaving today

Last edited by UD62; 01-19-2017 at 09:31 AM..
Old 01-15-2017, 05:07 PM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CJ43 View Post
Always felt that the 2017 offseason would be the year Archie leaves. I think Archie is really close with this class and we obviously lose a lot next year. Also always felt that he would go to tOSU. They have the ability to get recruits that UD can not get, he has ties with the school, and its close to home.

Hoping that I'm wrong and that he stays and turns Dayton into a Gonzaga like program.
Used to think that way. But I think he's pumped about the new recruits. Our quality of inbound players keeps improving. He may be headed to the Gonzaga model.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:45 PM
2nd Lieutenant

ortez52 is just really niceortez52 is just really niceortez52 is just really niceortez52 is just really niceortez52 is just really nice
Red face

Originally Posted by P errymanFan View Post
I'm not a fan of Ohio State anything, but no way can we assume Archie wouldn't seriously consider that job. He will be #1 on their list and they will pursue him harder than any school he has already turned down. They're not currently a top tier program, but they're only a couple years removed from it. And assuming Izzo retires in the next 5 years, there's potential for Archie to be the class of the conference.
We can consider him staying here if we take him at his word.Makes a great salary.great fan support.Well, be some changes in the Arena in the near future either a major overhaul or a knew Arena.Has said he wants to stay until his daughter finishes High school.Archie has turned down some major jobs in the last couple of years. And people who know the money at UD no they can match any salary.Well he leave some day ? Yes, but i dont see him going to a school was basketball is not king.And I think he has a couple of dreams schools he would leave for.The talk I have heard his father thinks this is a great place and told Archies brother to stay at Xavier.And I also believe someday we will be going to another conference. Archie has stuck to his word and I think he remembers UD took a chance and stayed with him after that first rough start, Didn,t he sign an extension with a not so hot record at the time
Old 01-16-2017, 08:35 AM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,927 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
I'm sorry but if I'm Archie and I have the Greek Freak's little brother becoming eleigible next fall, I am not going anywhere.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Swampy Meadows For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (01-16-2017), Justin (01-19-2017), UDGutter2 (01-16-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 08:51 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Swampy Meadows View Post
I'm sorry but if I'm Archie and I have the Greek Freak's little brother becoming eleigible next fall, I am not going anywhere.
I'd feel better if it was like NCAA football and he had to stick around 3 years...
Old 01-16-2017, 09:06 AM
Major General

steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDBrian View Post
Many moons ago and many coaching "growth spurts" for AM ago...The guy is a big-time coach and there is plenty of room and space for AM at OSU and there's ZERO doubt in my mind he could prosper there..The Miller's have obviously gotten use to the Midwest life.Do they love it here? I have no real idea and being concerned about their daughter finishing her initial schooling here still does not answer that question for me...

AM loves OSU, is a huge football fan, knows the midwest now and Columbus is another couple hours closer to his hometown where pops could more readily come to all his home games if that's also important to AM...Not sure any of us outside of maybe a couple here on the site really know for a fact what is floating the boat for Archie and what his aspirations might be but the OSU job is a very very very good job...
Old 01-16-2017, 11:13 AM
Colonel

ClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant future
In addition to being a UD alum, I'm a life-long Buckeye fan as well, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

I look at it like this: If OSU did not have a football program, I think that it would widely be considered a strong basketball school that has struggled to live up to expectations in recent years. From time-to-time, publications or individuals put out all-time college basketball rankings, and Ohio State is consistently in the top 15, occasionally even in the top 10 depending on the observer or metric. Short of great recent success, the program has a strong collection of banners to back up a claim of being a "basketball school."

In reality, however, obviously football is king in Columbus. But because of football, all other programs, including basketball, have resources that few, if any, other schools can compete with. The facilities are top-notch and the program is flush with the kind of cash that can attract top assistants and personnel to make any coach's job easier. The right person could be wildly successful coaching Buckeyes hoops. It simply comes down to a question of ego, because the shadow cast by the football program will always be long.

Unless Archie legitimately believes that an offer from Duke, North Carolina, Kansas or Kentucky is on the horizon, the net positives of an Ohio State offer probably outweigh the net positives for any offer he might see. All of that said, I certainly hope he stays at Dayton and develops a Gonzaga/Mark Few situation there.

In terms of Thad Matta, I think that this will be his last year regardless of how the rest of the season plays out. From what I have read and understand, they will not "fire" him, but he there is a strong likelihood that there will be a mutual agreement to have him resign.

Last edited by ClevelandFlyer05; 01-16-2017 at 11:16 AM..
Mad Props to ClevelandFlyer05 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (01-16-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 11:24 AM

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
Didn't realize Matta was going to be fired
Old 01-16-2017, 11:28 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,956 Times in 534 Posts
shapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond repute
I have no idea how strong Archie's feelings are for his alma mater, but unless things turn around in Raleigh that job may be open soon.

NC State lost at home to Ga Tech by 10 four days after losing at BC. They are 1-4 in the ACC and outside of UNC (they lost by 51), they haven't played most of the top teams in the conference.

Gottfried has brought in plenty of big-time recruits but after going to the NCAA the first 4 years, they were 5-13 in conference last year and look to be going nowhere this year. As this 33 page thread on an NC State message board shows, the fan base is quickly growing tired of Gottfried and Archie is certainly the name mentioned most often as the fan base's choice as next coach.

http://www.scout.com/college/north-c...t?s=178&page=3

I love the graph someone did on page 3 of the thread that shows the conference finish by year for Miller and Gottfried. Both have been at their schools 6 years and the divergence of the two programs that has taken place the last 2 years is rather striking.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:04 PM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by shapanud View Post
I have no idea how strong Archie's feelings are for his alma mater, but unless things turn around in Raleigh that job may be open soon.

NC State lost at home to Ga Tech by 10 four days after losing at BC. They are 1-4 in the ACC and outside of UNC (they lost by 51), they haven't played most of the top teams in the conference.

Gottfried has brought in plenty of big-time recruits but after going to the NCAA the first 4 years, they were 5-13 in conference last year and look to be going nowhere this year. As this 33 page thread on an NC State message board shows, the fan base is quickly growing tired of Gottfried and Archie is certainly the name mentioned most often as the fan base's choice as next coach.

I love the graph someone did on page 3 of the thread that shows the conference finish by year for Miller and Gottfried. Both have been at their schools 6 years and the divergence of the two programs that has taken place the last 2 years is rather striking.
33 pages of posts generated since Wednesday...wow.

How does Herb Sendek feel about NCSU?

They fired Sendek after 5 straight NCAAT appearances.

Sendek at NCSU:

Archie played there from 1998-2002.

NC State Wolfpack (Atlantic Coast Conference) (1996–2006)

1996–97 NC State 17–15 4–12 8th NIT Second Round
1997–98 NC State 17–15 5–11 8th NIT Second Round
1998–99 NC State 19–14 6–10 5th NIT Second Round
1999–2000 NC State 20–14 6–10 6th NIT Semifinal
2000–01 NC State 13–16 5–11 7th
2001–02 NC State 23–11 9–7 T–3rd NCAA Second Round
2002–03 NC State 18–13 9–7 4th NCAA First Round
2003–04 NC State 21–10 11–5 2nd NCAA Second Round
2004–05 NC State 21–14 7–9 T–6th NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2005–06 NC State 22–10 10–6 4th NCAA Second Round

NC State: 191–132 (.591) 72–88 (.450)

Last edited by ud2; 01-16-2017 at 12:12 PM..
Old 01-16-2017, 01:30 PM

Thanked 6,618 Times in 3,024 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
How does Herb Sendek feel about NCSU? They fired Sendek after 5 straight NCAAT appearances.
I don't believe he was fired. He simply left for Arizona State. The fans were getting restless, but I'm pretty sure he wasn't fired. He left under similar circumstances as BG.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:48 AM
General of the Air Force

OSU has won 2 straight since you made your prediction. Keep up the good work at keeping Matta in Columbus and Archie a Flyer!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
NJFlyr71 (01-19-2017), UD62 (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 08:54 AM

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
He may step away but they are not going to fire him.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:37 AM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ClevelandFlyer05 View Post
In terms of Thad Matta.... From what I have read and understand, they will not "fire" him, but there is a strong likelihood that there will be a mutual agreement to have him resign.
Agree he wouldn't deserve that. But exit clauses often have something to do with it. There would be a negotiation.

As much as I dislike his mannerisms on the court, salted with the recognition that he was all things X at one time, he has done nothing to warrant the stigma of being "fired". At whatever time it happens, it's likely to be a mutually agreeable parting based on a consistent lack of progress in the program over time.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:46 AM

rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post
OSU has won 2 straight since you made your prediction. Keep up the good work at keeping Matta in Columbus and Archie a Flyer!
A Vegas buddy once told me to never bet against a desperate team. OSU is proving him right.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:37 AM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Unless it's football halftime against Clemson.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (01-19-2017), Canonball (01-19-2017), PerrymanFan (01-19-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 07:49 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,223 Times in 585 Posts
CvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond repute

Wake Forest won its first away game in the ACC in the past three years yesterday at North Carolina State 93-88! The Wolfpack is now 2-5 in the conference and is at Duke Monday evening and at Louisville next Sunday! It doesn't get any easier as they have played the bottom tier and all remaining games are against the top tier of the ACC. It is possible they could go 2-16 in conference. Let us all root for them the rest of the way as their fan base would be demanding a change if Mark Gottfried doesn't right the ship and keep from finishing with a 13-18 record!
Mad Props to CvilleFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (01-22-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 09:36 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,223 Times in 585 Posts
CvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
I was rooting extra hard for North Carolina St. tonight as they defeated Duke at Cameron Indoor Arena for the first time in 22 years 84-82! They almost gave it away in the last minute as their star, Dennis Smith Jr. missed four free throws.

For the time being, Mark Gottfried's job is probably safe. Here's hoping they get quite a few more victories in the ACC conference the rest of the way! In Archie we trust!
Old 01-23-2017, 11:16 PM
Colonel

shapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CvilleFlyer View Post
I was rooting extra hard for North Carolina St. tonight as they defeated Duke at Cameron Indoor Arena for the first time in 22 years 84-82! They almost gave it away in the last minute as their star, Dennis Smith Jr. missed four free throws.

For the time being, Mark Gottfried's job is probably safe. Here's hoping they get quite a few more victories in the ACC conference the rest of the way! In Archie we trust!
In case anyone doubts the interest NCSt fans have for Archie (even after tonight), there is a thread on page 1 of their message board titled "2017 Dayton Flyers season thread"

http://www.scout.com/college/north-c...-season-thread
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shapanud For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (01-24-2017), CT Flyer (01-24-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 07:04 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CvilleFlyer View Post

I'm not sure last night's win is a job saver if in fact Gottfried's job in in jeopardy. NC St sits solidly in 11th place in the ACC with a 50+ blowout at the hands of their neighboring Tarheels and losses to Boston College and GT. He does seem to live a charmed life and more often than not gets the Wolfpack to the NCAAs despite avg'ing 10+ losses per season, whether it's just enough top 20 wins or a deep run in the ACC tournament. He has a talented team, no doubt, which makes some of his losses all the more perplexing.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:17 PM
Captain

Windy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud of
The season for coach firings is nearing. I spent some time in Kansas City. It looks like Mizzou is going to be hiring a coach this year. Mizzou hasn't won a road game in 4 years.Assuming Matta steps down I think AM becomes their lead target. The OSU boards speculate on Chris Jent but I don't see that happening. It's really AM's decision and he's the one that will determine if he wants the gig. It never hurts having Urban Meyer guiding the football program as it puts OSU in press while the new coach builds the program. Personally, I like the tradition of basketball at schools like IU, Louisville and Georgetown much better. When the day that day comes I wonder if UD would consider hiring from within. AM's bench of coaches with Griffin, Kuwik, and Ostrom is impressive. They clearly have done their home on recruits and brought in some great hardworking talent. I bring this up only because Butler did a great job with hiring from within with success going from Collier to Matta to Lichliter, to Stevens. I'm not as close to program as some here so I'm interested to know if any of assistants would keep continuity with success.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:33 PM

ruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Windy City Flyer View Post
The season for coach firings is nearing. I spent some time in Kansas City. It looks like Mizzou is going to be hiring a coach this year. Mizzou hasn't won a road game in 4 years.Assuming Matta steps down I think AM becomes their lead target. The OSU boards speculate on Chris Jent but I don't see that happening. It's really AM's decision and he's the one that will determine if he wants the gig. It never hurts having Urban Meyer guiding the football program as it puts OSU in press while the new coach builds the program. Personally, I like the tradition of basketball at schools like IU, Louisville and Georgetown much better. When the day that day comes I wonder if UD would consider hiring from within. AM's bench of coaches with Griffin, Kuwik, and Ostrom is impressive. They clearly have done their home on recruits and brought in some great hardworking talent. I bring this up only because Butler did a great job with hiring from within with success going from Collier to Matta to Lichliter, to Stevens. I'm not as close to program as some here so I'm interested to know if any of assistants would keep continuity with success.
There is close to a zero percent chance Archie goes to Missouri, Washington, Illinois, Georgetown, etc. Why would Archie turn-down Alabama, Tennessee, Vandy, Pitt, FLA, etc. and go to one of these schools.

We should all be worried about Louisville, Michigan (St.), Ohio St, and Indiana. Archie will not get recruited for a top 5 program like Duke, Kansas, NC, etc. But the sweet spot for Archie would be schools that are like 5-15 nationally and where Archie has a chance every year to compete for the national championship.

Seriously, almost no chance goes to Missouri, Illinois, Georgetown, Washington, etc.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ruechalgrin For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (01-26-2017), jack72 (01-27-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 05:41 PM
Captain

FlightClub.33.32.15.1 is a name known to allFlightClub.33.32.15.1 is a name known to allFlightClub.33.32.15.1 is a name known to allFlightClub.33.32.15.1 is a name known to allFlightClub.33.32.15.1 is a name known to allFlightClub.33.32.15.1 is a name known to all
There is close to a zero percent chance Archie goes to Missouri, Washington, Illinois, Georgetown, etc. Why would Archie turn-down Alabama, Tennessee, Vandy, Pitt, FLA, etc. and go to one of these schools.

We should all be worried about Louisville, Michigan (St.), Ohio St, and Indiana. Archie will not get recruited for a top 5 program like Duke, Kansas, NC, etc. But the sweet spot for Archie would be schools that are like 5-15 nationally and where Archie has a chance every year to compete for the national championship.

Seriously, almost no chance goes to Missouri, Illinois, Georgetown, Washington, etc.
Got to take a look at the facilities too. If they have an arguable top 15 basketball facility in the nation, you got to think that would play a big part too, as that is a big recruiting tool. Georgetown just did theirs in the past coupe of years and is one of the nicest in the nation. If that's in place, Archie can use it as a recruiting tool. Recent success helps, but if the success is that recent, that job probably wouldn't be opening up either.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by FlightClub.33.32.15.1 View Post
Got to take a look at the facilities too. If they have an arguable top 15 basketball facility in the nation, you got to think that would play a big part too, as that is a big recruiting tool. Georgetown just did theirs in the past coupe of years and is one of the nicest in the nation. If that's in place, Archie can use it as a recruiting tool. Recent success helps, but if the success is that recent, that job probably wouldn't be opening up either.
Archie will not go to Georgetown.
Mad Props to ruechalgrin For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (01-26-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 06:16 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,119 Posts
BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
Archie is a Dayton Flyer. Nothing tells me he's leaving. Maybe my head is in the sand.

Why would you leave when you are King?
Mad Props to BRob2Perryman3 For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDGutter2 (01-26-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 06:29 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,206 Times in 542 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
I'm with Brob2, Archie is not going anywhere, unless the relationship sours. Don't see that happening any time soon.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:43 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Relationship does not have to sour for AM to leave. We all thought Jabir was going to retire at UD then for reasons (health/more family time) he ups and leaves. Never know what is happening in a coaches life that could change the dynamics and it don't have to be basketball related.

Having said that, I too agree don't seen AM leaving before his daughter graduates from HS. Morgan wasn't all that thrilled when AM took the Dayton job as she preferred bigger cities, thats when he was making a mere 600k per year. Now with well over 3m she can afford to take as many trips to bigger cities all she wants. I believe she is content in Dayton for now.

As far as replacement goes, if AM did leave chances are he'd take his assistants with him. Even if UD hired one of the assistants he would more than likely not have his other assistants with him so the continuity would no longer be there. He'd be starting over.

Now that UD is back so to speak on the national level they may be willing to pony up for a seasoned veteran named coach.

Don't see Louisville as an attractive job, too much baggage may be facing penalties etc. Besides it isn't a Nike school.

Just my .02 cents.....keep the change.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:52 PM
1st Lieutenant

dannardo is a jewel in the roughdannardo is a jewel in the roughdannardo is a jewel in the roughdannardo is a jewel in the rough
Aren't the Millers in C-bus all the time for gymnastics?
Old 01-26-2017, 08:09 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Flyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond repute
If and when Archie goes, it will be because he earned it and deserved it and has every right to take advantage of what he has done for himself and family. Can't criticize him for that.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:49 PM
Colonel

312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all
My guess is Archie leaves after this year:

1) Looks to be a number of good openings (as others have discussed).

2) UD is not going to be very good next year. If you think they are - list the starting five next year and then rethink it.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:32 PM
General of the Air Force

Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 312to937 View Post

2) UD is not going to be very good next year. If you think they are - list the starting five next year and then rethink it.
Don't matter how many openings there are their is a 5m buyout if you are not in his 3 picks.

As for how good or not the flyers will be, I'd at least wait till next season to evaluate the teams prospects. Players mature and emerge as leaders over a full season and we have a good incoming class, whats there not to like. With Archie still at the helm he will mold the team into another winner and NCAA participant. Not a rebuilding year, reloading.
Mad Props to Avid Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud2 (01-26-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 10:12 PM

Thanked 2,378 Times in 810 Posts
The Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond repute

I might be on an island here, but I think Dayton will be fine next year. As everyone knows, the big question is point guard. But I think Cunningham, Mikesell and Willams are penciled in as starters next year, and that's a formidable front line. I know these are just rumblings right now, but I've heard Kostas could be an impact player from day one, particularly if his weight and strength continue to progress. And if Sam Miller stays, you have some experienced bench depth. And Pierce gives us five fouls, if nothing else. Ditto Naz, assuming he's not groomed as a taller shooting guard.

So it's all about the backcourt. Can Baby D ever find his shot? I don't know, but he's found himself defensively, and that counts for a lot. That leaves us Crosby and a freshman, McKinley Wright. That's scary, but if MK is as good as advertised, i could see him ready to make some noise by the end of OOC play. There isn't much experience on the bench -- freshman Jordan Davis and soph Trey Landers -- but Archiie still has a scholarship to give. Let's see how that plays out.

I would expect that lineup to struggle a bit early on, but I can see them contending for a top three A-10 finish next year given the exodus of talent from some of the other teams in the league.

And as always, Archie is the X factor. If he stays, it's because he thinks he can make hay with that lineup. Who bets against Archie's ability to develop players these days?
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to The Fly For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (01-27-2017), fuz_forward (01-27-2017), Glen Clark (01-30-2017), John C. (01-26-2017), Swampy Meadows (01-27-2017), ud2 (01-26-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
As far as replacement goes, if AM did leave chances are he'd take his assistants with him. Even if UD hired one of the assistants he would more than likely not have his other assistants with him so the continuity would no longer be there. He'd be starting over.
That was not a problem for Xavier and probably Butler also, I do not think it will be a problem for UD.

Seems that the other 2 assistants, that did not get the hc job, usually leave to follow the previous hc to the new school...the new hc usually brings in his own assistants.

Last edited by ud2; 01-26-2017 at 10:59 PM..
Old 01-26-2017, 11:00 PM
Colonel

TerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond repute
I am not seeing Rat Face being ready to resign at The OSU, nor do I see them firing him.... so this topic appears extremely remote......
Mad Props to TerryK_67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDGutter2 (01-27-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 11:27 PM

longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
The only reason Archie would leave is the same reason his brother left X, for a chance to compete for a National Championship every year. Realistically he does not have that opportunity at UD. Yes, Sean has not made a Final Four at Arizona, but he has a much better opportunity to do it than Archie does at UD. Archie could eventually become frustrated that he simply can't recruit the quality talent to UD that he could to a top P-5 school. Being in the Big East would help, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen.
Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
UD62 (01-27-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 11:44 PM
Colonel

Bill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
The only reason Archie would leave is the same reason his brother left X, for a chance to compete for a National Championship every year. Realistically he does not have that opportunity at UD. Yes, Sean has not made a Final Four at Arizona, but he has a much better opportunity to do it than Archie does at UD. Archie could eventually become frustrated that he simply can't recruit the quality talent to UD that he could to a top P-5 school. Being in the Big East would help, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen.
Maybe he can make UD "Gonzaga East".
Mad Props to Bill202 For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDGutter2 (01-27-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 07:26 AM

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
It's nice to have the problem that AM is desirable to other schools...but when reality comes into play...he has a family to raise and I am willing to bet that plays a big part.

His ship isn't going to sail and get away from him. He could realistically stay here for some time, through good and bad seasons, and decide to set up camp at a top tier school when it is comfortable for his family and not skip at beat.

There isn't a window for AM to beat feet out of Dayton. The timetable is up to him. He leaves when he feels like he wants to leave, not when the right school comes knocking with an offer.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:26 AM
Major General

Without knowing AM real well, I'd bet the 3-5 mm per year he could get with a better resume going into a new job might have something to say about it as well...Do I know this? No I don't, but do you know it's not an important issue?
Old 01-27-2017, 08:55 AM
Major

FlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post
It's nice to have the problem that AM is desirable to other schools...but when reality comes into play...he has a family to raise and I am willing to bet that plays a big part.

His ship isn't going to sail and get away from him. He could realistically stay here for some time, through good and bad seasons, and decide to set up camp at a top tier school when it is comfortable for his family and not skip at beat.

There isn't a window for AM to beat feet out of Dayton. The timetable is up to him. He leaves when he feels like he wants to leave, not when the right school

comes knocking with an offer.
A. Archie is in the midst of making Dayton a top-tier school (that's been his focus)
B. What's with the continuous OSU talk? Since when are they a desired top end basketball
program? Must be all those national championship banners? Please.
C. There's already a lame Archie isn't going anywhere thread. Do the defeatist
now need two of them? Let's beat VCU and keep the focus there.
Posted via Mobile Device
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FlyerinChicago For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (01-27-2017), BRob2Perryman3 (01-27-2017), jack72 (01-27-2017), UDGutter2 (01-27-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 09:12 AM

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flyerinchicago View Post
C. There's already a lame archie isn't going anywhere thread. Do the defeatist
now need two of them? Let's beat vcu and keep the focus there.
posted via mobile device
dafuq?
Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (01-27-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 02:56 PM
Captain

tlangs98 is just really nicetlangs98 is just really nicetlangs98 is just really nicetlangs98 is just really nice
Originally Posted by FlyerinChicago View Post
A. Archie is in the midst of making Dayton a top-tier school (that's been his focus)
B. What's with the continuous OSU talk? Since when are they a desired top end basketball
program? Must be all those national championship banners? Please.
C. There's already a lame Archie isn't going anywhere thread. Do the defeatist
now need two of them? Let's beat VCU and keep the focus there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Regarding B..

OSU presents a better opportunity for Archie than Dayton. It pains me to say it but it is true. In the last 10 years they have 2 final 4s, a final 8, and 2 sweet 16s. They also won a first round game twice, were ousted in the first round twice, and won the NIT. They have had several lottery picks and a national player of the year.

He was also an assistant under Thad so it will always come up when Matta's seat gets warm. Is Ohio State a basketball blue blood? Not at all but they have extremely deep pockets and have been relevant on the national stage for over a decade.
Mad Props to tlangs98 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (01-27-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 06:51 PM
Colonel

ClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by tlangs98 View Post
Regarding B..

OSU presents a better opportunity for Archie than Dayton. It pains me to say it but it is true. In the last 10 years they have 2 final 4s, a final 8, and 2 sweet 16s. They also won a first round game twice, were ousted in the first round twice, and won the NIT. They have had several lottery picks and a national player of the year.

He was also an assistant under Thad so it will always come up when Matta's seat gets warm. Is Ohio State a basketball blue blood? Not at all but they have extremely deep pockets and have been relevant on the national stage for over a decade.
Correct, as I mentioned upthread, the right coach could have ample success at Ohio State with the combination of tradition, resources, and facilities that are unmatched by all but 10-15 other schools. Even if Ohio State is not a "basketball school" by definition because the program is overshadowed by football, coaching hoops for the Buckeyes is still an extremely attractive job.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:02 PM
General of the Air Force

To me the most important thing would be to be able to get into the NCAA year in and year out. He can do that at UD like Stevens did at Butler.

Archie is the type coach who can mold a player into being his best, not all coaches can do that and that is why some coaches are successful only if they have the blue chippers.

Continue to make NCAA appearances and they will come (Blue Chippers).
Old 02-01-2017, 09:44 PM
Colonel

Perhaps the name of this thread needs to be changed to "Archie to NC State?"

NC St loses at home to Syracuse to fall to 3-7 in the conference. They have 8 games left in the season and right now it looks like they will be underdogs in all 8 games. It will take a number of upsets to avoid being the in bottom 3-4 teams of the ACC this year. Gottfried 's seat is getting very warm.

A few points in the NC State job:

- Their AD is 67 years old and has 1 yr left on her contract. The consensus among NC State fans seems to be that she will retire after her contract is up. So does the school want to let her hire a new coach and then have a new AD come in? Or would they rather just wait a year and have a new AD bring in their own coach?

- I think the NC State job has the potential to be more attractive than some people realize for this reason: Duke and UNC will both have new coaches in the next 3-5 years. Who knows what that will mean for the programs. Obviously both have great traditions, but neither has a set "coach-in-waiting". Either/Both program(s) could wiff on the next hire (see Dorehty, Matt) and create a nice opening for NC State.

- And of course, how much affinity does Archie have for the NC State? It's not one of the top 10 jobs in the country, but for most people being an alum of the school would count for something.

As for UD, the biggest issue with Archie leaving this year (for any job) is what happens to all the recruits? UD will certainly let them out of their LOI if they ask (remember Gibson and Henton). This would leave quite the void in the program with how many players UD has have leaving if they lose any number of players from next year's class.

Obviously it all a hypothetical discussion, but you have your head in the sand if you don't think a number of major programs are going to come hard for UD in the coming years. And I know he's turned down programs in the past, but these have the chance at being bigger name programs (OSU?, NC State?, L'ville?) than anything he's been offered so far.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shapanud For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (02-01-2017), FLYER5 (02-02-2017), frisco flyer (02-01-2017), jack72 (02-02-2017), Sticks 'n Stearns (02-02-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 10:04 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,244 Posts
C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
A few points in the NC State job:

- Their AD is 67 years old and has 1 yr left on her contract. The consensus among NC State fans seems to be that she will retire after her contract is up. So does the school want to let her hire a new coach and then have a new AD come in? Or would they rather just wait a year and have a new AD bring in their own coach?
For any potential coach this could be a reason for them not to take the job. Coaches want to work for the AD who hired them because that AD has something invested in you. Once you're working for an AD who didn't hire you it's much easier for them to move on from you and go get the coach they want if you struggle at all.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:09 PM

Archie is not going to NC State. He is not going to Washington, Illinois, G'Town, K State, or any other non top 15 program.

If and when he leaves, Archie is waiting for a top 15 program (and he will not be offered top 5 like NC, Duke, Kansas, KY, etc.). Worry about Indiana, Michigan State, Ohio St, Louisville, etc. Programs 5-15 that can compete every year for a national championship.

Sean did not go back to Pitt and Archie is not going back to NC State. Competing for a national championship is really motivating, but being at best the third best team in the state is not.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:05 AM

Archie is not going to NC State. He is not going to Washington, Illinois, G'Town, K State, or any other non top 15 program.

If and when he leaves, Archie is waiting for a top 15 program (and he will not be offered top 5 like NC, Duke, Kansas, KY, etc.). Worry about Indiana, Michigan State, Ohio St, Louisville, etc. Programs 5-15 that can compete every year for a national championship.

Sean did not go back to Pitt and Archie is not going back to NC State. Competing for a national championship is really motivating, but being at best the third best team in the state is not.
Why are you so sure?

Sean was already at Arizona when Pitt came open.

Last edited by ud2; 02-02-2017 at 11:07 AM..
Old 02-02-2017, 11:19 AM
Major

66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of
The first I heard of the NC ST possibility was on the Fordham fan page on
Tues. Evidently, there is a blog about it, begging for him. The success he's had here will be hard to duplicate right away anywhere else, so I'm hoping he stays a long time. I don't see the program declining any time soon.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:20 AM
Major General

The only reason, imho, he would not go back to NC state is being guaranteed 4 losses a year (to NC and Duke) at least in his first 2-3 years there....Imo (as you should have stated), it has nothing to do with them not being a top 15 program. AM played there, his wife is from around there, and I doubt very very much you have any idea how important/unimportant just those two reasons might be in deciding where he might like to coach..

Last edited by steve; 02-02-2017 at 11:23 AM..
Mad Props to steve For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (02-02-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 12:12 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 66flyer View Post
The first I heard of the NC ST possibility was on the Fordham fan page on
Tues. Evidently, there is a blog about it, begging for him. The success he's had here will be hard to duplicate right away anywhere else, so I'm hoping he stays a long time. I don't see the program declining any time soon.
As someone with family in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area, I can tell you that the talk of getting Archie back at his alma mater is very real...and growing with each loss.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:55 PM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,927 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
Does Archie Miller strike anyone as the kind of guy that would walk away from the returning players, the incoming freshmen and, oh yeah, the 6'11" dripping-with-potential younger brother of one of the most talented players in the NBA today?

No, he does not.

Archie may leave someday but it's not going to be this year.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Swampy Meadows For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (02-02-2017), FlyerBob (02-03-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 01:10 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,316 Times in 1,328 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Does Archie Miller strike anyone as the kind of guy that would walk away from the returning players, the incoming freshmen and, oh yeah, the 6'11" dripping-with-potential younger brother of one of the most talented players in the NBA today?

No, he does not.

But won't that be the same situation every year?
7 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Buster Goode (02-03-2017), ClaytonFlyerFan (02-02-2017), Figgie123 (02-03-2017), FLYER5 (02-03-2017), jack72 (02-02-2017), SLUFLYER (02-02-2017), ud2 (02-03-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 01:15 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Yes if a coach has no returning players or incoming freshmen it would probably be a good time to leave. SMH
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (02-02-2017), SLUFLYER (02-02-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 01:37 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
We can only hope but it makes perfect sense for AM to leave after this year should the right opportunity come. Losing 4 senior starters who will probably /possibly go down as the greatest class in history depending on how this season ends is how most coaches would probably dream of going out.

If that job arises he's not 100% sold on then he's got some real studs to deal with next year at UD but pups are pups and inexperience is just that, as well, so his patience will be tested again but entirely for a different set of circumstances other than the cards he's been dealt in other years...
Old 02-02-2017, 03:46 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,558 Times in 941 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
l'll go with:

My guess is Archie leaves after this year

UD is not going to be very good next year. If you think they are - list the starting five next year and then rethink it.
Cunningham
Kostas
Williams or RM
Baby D
a 5th year, High end Juco or MW

Seems like we'd be competitive although here are certainly unknowns.
Mad Props to maddog07 For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDGutter2 (02-02-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 03:51 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by steve View Post
We can only hope but it makes perfect sense for AM to leave after this year should the right opportunity come. Losing 4 senior starters who will probably /possibly go down as the greatest class in history depending on how this season ends is how most coaches would probably dream of going out.

If that job arises he's not 100% sold on then he's got some real studs to deal with next year at UD but pups are pups and inexperience is just that, as well, so his patience will be tested again but entirely for a different set of circumstances other than the cards he's been dealt in other years...
Yep. If he's going to leave, after this season makes all the sense in the world. Archie is not making lateral moves though. It's a matter of timing and opportunity lining up. With the timing of this senior class going, our best hope is that the dream opportunity doesn't come this offseason. And if it doesn't come this offseason, that might just keep Archie here for awhile.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:58 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by maddog07 View Post
Cunningham
Kostas
Williams or RM
Baby D

Youth and uncertainty is not the best recipe for success. Archie will make it work if he's here of course, but it's not like he's staring at an NCAA championship contender with that roster. He's staring at some really good, but pretty raw pieces with questions aplenty.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:46 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DallasFlyer View Post
Youth and uncertainty is not the best recipe for success. Archie will make it work if he's here of course, but it's not like he's staring at an NCAA championship contender with that roster. He's staring at some really good, but pretty raw pieces with questions aplenty.
But to a certain degree, I think dealing with the above is what makes Archie tick.
Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FlyerGuyer (02-02-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 05:10 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute

No, he does not.

The majority of coaches don't seem like the kind of guy who would walk away from returning players and incoming freshmen. Some coaches maybe give off a bit of sleazy, unloyal, used car salesman stigma. But the fact is, EVERY coach (from a head coach on down) who takes another job at another school IS walking away from current players and incoming freshmen.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SLUFLYER For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (02-03-2017), m21eagle45 (02-03-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by maddog07 View Post
Cunningham
Kostas
Williams or RM
Baby D

At pg, if Jaaron Simmons wants to leave OU as a grad transfer he would be a great pick up. He is averaging 13.5 points and 7 assists per game. Maybe he would want to come home to Dayton.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:10 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,206 Times in 542 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
No, not a championship contender next year, depending on point guard, but the following years could be special.

I'll say this again, Archie really seems quite a bit like his dad.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:19 PM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Was in Chicago Tuesday afternoon listening to ESPN 1000. Guys were offering their opinion on teh next Illini head coach. (they assume the current guy is toast). Guess who.....yep, Archie, Archie, Archie......
Old 02-02-2017, 10:25 PM
General of the Air Force

Was in Las Vegas about this time last year and all they talked about was how they were going to take Archie from Dayton. Even had signs on billboard, take notice Dayton we are coming after your coach.

They had no clue as to what Archie was making at Dayton, that was just another hopeful/unrealistic fan base.

Some were totally shocked he wasn't interested and stayed at Dayton.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:09 PM
Major

flyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant future
At pg, if Jaaron Simmons wants to leave OU as a grad transfer he would be a great pick up. He is averaging 13.5 points and 7 assists per game. Maybe he would want to come home to Dayton.
Where is this talk of Jaaron Simmons coming from? I get that these boards are for speculation and what not, but what gives anybody reason to believe that Simmons would leave an upper table MAC team where he has cart blanche and the trust of his coach to join a brand new team (albeit in his hometown)? It's a lateral move with a bunch of added question marks.

Take off them Flyer-colored glasses.
Mad Props to flyer016 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (02-03-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by flyer016 View Post
Where is this talk of Jaaron Simmons coming from? I get that these boards are for speculation and what not, but what gives anybody reason to believe that Simmons would leave an upper table MAC team where he has cart blanche and the trust of his coach to join a brand new team (albeit in his hometown)? It's a lateral move with a bunch of added question marks.

(1) You said: "these boards are for speculation."

(2) You also said: Dayton is "his hometown."

(3) There were some comments (speculation) on the OU board that they were afraid he might leave after this season.

(4) It is not a "lateral move" to go from a one bid conference to one of the top teams in a conference which normally gets 3 or 4 bids.

Last edited by longtimefan; 02-03-2017 at 12:05 AM..
Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud2 (02-03-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 03:08 AM
General

Thanked 4,320 Times in 2,124 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
I have no idea if Simmons is looking to switch schools nor if he's even on pace to graduate, but OU is 5-4 in the MAC. The only shot they've got at the dance this year is to win their tournament. UD would be a step up.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:52 AM
Major General

Simmons, imho, is NOT going to transfer for the 3rd time especially when he's at the top of his game, at a school that is up around the top in their conference annually, under a new coach that has implemented his system and one Simmons is excelling in to a school for one year and having to learn an entirely new system with no 100% guarantee he even starts since nobody here even knows if AM would even be interested in him or if the kid could pickup the system. Yes, speculation only and interesting conversation but probably 0% this would happen..

Last edited by steve; 02-03-2017 at 08:56 AM..
Old 02-03-2017, 09:03 AM
Major General

And to go one further he may not even be dealing with a NCAA tourney team next year. Losing a ton of experienced and excellent players, in a conference that will, imho, be much better next year, along with at least three players-to-be that must improve far more going into their 3rd year than they have into their 2nd year..Unlike last year where the freshman did not need to contribute, they'll certainly need at least a couple of the freshman players coming in to contribute rather mightily.....
Old 02-03-2017, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Medford View Post
I have no idea if Simmons is looking to switch schools nor if he's even on pace to graduate, but OU is 5-4 in the MAC. The only shot they've got at the dance this year is to win their tournament. UD would be a step up.
Agree...every player wants to play in the NCAAT.

You see good players on good teams do the 5th year transfer thing all the time.

Last edited by ud2; 02-03-2017 at 09:10 AM..
Old 02-03-2017, 09:18 AM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute

A lateral move? You have got to be kidding right? A10 is always a top 5-8 conference even in a bad year like this. The A10 gets 3-6 teams into the dance a year. The MAC gets 1. They lose their conference tournament they are NIT at best.

I did my undergrad at UD, grad school at a MAC school and worked at a MAC school athletic department for 2 years. A10 is a huge step up from the MAC.
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (02-03-2017), ClaytonFlyerFan (02-03-2017), CT Flyer (02-03-2017), flyerfan4life (02-03-2017), ruechalgrin (02-03-2017), SLUFLYER (02-03-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 10:55 AM

Thanked 10,133 Times in 5,867 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Not sure what OU has coming back next year, but UD would appear to be much more than a point guard away from being a sure tourney team.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
Not sure what OU has coming back next year, but UD would appear to be much more than a point guard away from being a sure tourney team.
OU has 2 seniors in their starting 5.

As for Simmons to UD...he had a chance to come here out of Alter but either he didn't want us or UD didn't want him.

He had another chance to come here when he transferred from Houston, but either he didn't want us or UD didn't want him.

Assuming he graduates in May, what has changed that would make him want us or have UD want him?
jack72 (02-03-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 11:34 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,008 Posts
Buster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond repute

No, he does not.

At some point, every coach is going to walk away from returning players and incoming freshmen whether it be for perceived greener pastures or retirement. After this year makes the most sense for AM to move. I'd give it a 60% chance he leaves after this year.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:35 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
OU has 2 seniors in their starting 5.

As for Simmons to UD...he had a chance to come here out of Alter but either he didn't want us or UD didn't want him.

He had another chance to come here when he transferred from Houston, but either he didn't want us or UD didn't want him.

Assuming he graduates in May, what has changed that would make him want us or have UD want him?
Both situations are probably different, now and then.

Then, either Simmons or Archie were looking for something different. Now, this whole 5th year transfer stuff really allows for players to find a soft landing spot in an effort to play in the Dance and for teams/coaches to snag a player as a stop-gap to a solution/recruit that maybe hasn't worked out, at least not yet.
Mad Props to SLUFLYER For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (02-03-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Buster Goode View Post
At some point, every coach is going to walk away from returning players and incoming freshmen whether it be for perceived greener pastures or retirement. After this year makes the most sense for AM to move. I'd give it a 60% chance he leaves after this year.
Well, how about Archie to NCSU, and Kostas and some or all of UD's 2017 recruits follow him? It can happen, Sean went to Arizona, and 1 or 2 X recruits followed him.
Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (02-03-2017)