Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Football

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 10-19-2014, 09:15 AM
Captain

Scout86 has a spectacular aura aboutScout86 has a spectacular aura aboutScout86 has a spectacular aura about
San Diego

Looking forward to the warmer weather, yesterday was awful at Welcome
Mad Props to Scout86 For This Totally Excellent Post:
mwflyer (10-19-2014)
Advertisement
Old 10-20-2014, 08:22 AM
1st Lieutenant

Always Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of light
So is this our 'make or break' game for the season? I like that our confidence has to be high going in. Hopefully we remain confident but not cocky. We will need to play four quarters of ball at a high level Saturday. Love the weapons we showed Saturday. Granted Morehead may now be at the bottom of the PFL, but we showed SD they need to be ready for many looks. The last two games, Will has really improved with mobility. A definite bonus to his game. We now have 3-4 RB's that can contribute. Both the D and O lines are subbing and keeping guys fresh with little or no drop off. Special teams has tightened it up. Like the change with Patrick Benton doing KO's. Seemed to get them deeper. Hope they stick with it. I'm hoping for a fantastic game. Last time the wife checked, scheduled for low 80's. Kind of high for SD this time of year. Based on the past issue of the UD magazine, sounds like the SD alumni club is up and clicking. Hope they make a good showing in support of the Flyers.
Mad Props to Always Proud For This Totally Excellent Post:
Scout86 (10-20-2014)
Old 10-20-2014, 08:34 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,452 Times in 781 Posts
DetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
I think you can count on strong support from the San Diego alumni. Should be an epic game!
Mad Props to DetroitFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Scout86 (10-20-2014)
Old 10-20-2014, 10:35 AM
Lieutenant General

DetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Now, the real work begins....

In our games to date, the combined record of the teams we have played is 11 wins, 32 losses. We have only played one team with a winning record, (Duquesne at 4-3), and we got soundly thumped. Robert Morris, Davidson, (a game we barely won), and Marist have one win each.... Georgetown and Morehead State have two wins.

In looking at the rest of the season, the teams we have yet to play have a combined record of 18-16. Next up in San Diego on their turf. San Diego currently sits at 5-1! San Diego is currently 3-0 at home.

We all knew our schedule was backloaded this season, but the backloading is very, very significant. We will have to play much better than we have to date or the rest of the season could look like the Duquesne game. Like it or not, Bardo is going to need to run. I hope he has been healing during the first stretch and is ready to go all out for the remaining of the season. If not, our prospects are dim. We need more than an occasional 3 or 10 yard run. We need him to be able to run the distance like he did last year, (50+ yards). Of course we need our regular running game to stay strong. Hopefully with JJ back, we will be an absolute force in the running game the rest of the season! Defense has been playing better, but as mentioned above the level of competition has not been that great. I still worry that our defensive line does not get much pressure on many downs and our defensive backs do not seem to possess the ability to ever look back for a pass when covering a deep route. Against good QB's and receivers, (the rest of our schedule), that either results in long completions or pass interference. I'm not certain what we can do about our defensive state, so I think our success the rest of the way will be with the offense. We have to finish drives and score and of course minimize the three and outs.

It all starts Saturday night in California. Our "playoff" games are now every week for the rest of the year. Lets MAKE IT HAPPEN FLYERS!!
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DetroitFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Always Proud (10-20-2014), PIONEER 8 (10-20-2014), Scout86 (10-20-2014)
Old 10-20-2014, 10:56 AM
Captain

Scout86 has a spectacular aura aboutScout86 has a spectacular aura aboutScout86 has a spectacular aura about
My wife and I are leaving Thursday morning....does anyone know if I bring the dayton flag pole...is there anywhere in the visitors section to put it during the game ? Are the seats across from San diego ? Mountable ?
Old 10-20-2014, 12:57 PM
Colonel

Flyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Scout86 View Post
My wife and I are leaving Thursday morning....does anyone know if I bring the dayton flag pole...is there anywhere in the visitors section to put it during the game ? Are the seats across from San diego ? Mountable ?
photos being gathered for an email soon!
Old 10-20-2014, 12:57 PM
Captain

PIONEER 8 has a spectacular aura aboutPIONEER 8 has a spectacular aura aboutPIONEER 8 has a spectacular aura about
Scout, going on memory again but as I recall the stadium is a bit of a horseshoe (it is in a canyon) and most of the fans sit on the San Diego sidelines because the seats on the "visitor" side are actually the more expensive reserved seats. It is a great setting for a game but I don't have any idea about how to "plant the UD flag."
Old 10-20-2014, 02:02 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,082 Times in 469 Posts
Piqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant future
My memory from one trip to USD game is that all seating is on one side.
That was some years ago
GO UD!
Old 10-20-2014, 02:16 PM
1st Lieutenant

Always Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of light
For what it is worth.

http://www.usdtoreros.com/facilities...o-stadium.html
Old 10-20-2014, 04:53 PM
Captain

PIONEER 8 has a spectacular aura aboutPIONEER 8 has a spectacular aura aboutPIONEER 8 has a spectacular aura about
Should be a real battle and a tough test. By all statistical categories the teams are very evenly matched. We don't tend to play well out there so it will take a reversal of our past performances for us to bring home a win. We played one of our worst games in recent out there two years ago and we played the best game in the past several games against them at home last season. We will need something near the effort of last year to get a win this year.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:08 PM
Captain

NEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really nice
Voted for a win and a great game!!

http://www.ncaa.com/game/football/fc...yton-san-diego
Mad Props to NEOFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Scout86 (10-21-2014)
Old 10-21-2014, 07:00 PM
Captain

FBUD is a jewel in the roughFBUD is a jewel in the roughFBUD is a jewel in the rough
Thoughts on San Diego

On offense. Starting QB has been hurt, but may be back. Not too much difference between starter and back-up. Primary running back (Cal transfer) is very good and 2nd to Connor in PFL...He may play with a chip on his shoulder. The offensive line has 2 preseason all conference, but is thin and not great as they lost much experience from last year. The receivers are very good and San Diego has depth at that position.

On defense. They lead the PFL against the pass. They are 7th in rushing defense and scoring defense.

On special teams. Kicker is very good and has not missed. They cover kicks well. Punt returner leads the PFL (also great receiver). He does fumble occasionally.

Intangibles. Dayton got whooped 2 years ago in SD...we did not travel well. SD may have last years only loss in the PFL on their mind in Dayton. It is supposed to be hot that day (mid 80s), but I am sure cooler at kick-off time.

Keys to victory:
  1. Offense: Control the clock. Run first & set-up the play action and other passes
  2. Offense: Dominate the line of scrimmage
  3. Defense: Stop the run with good pursuit and hard tackles
  4. Defense: Put immense pressure on the QB
  5. Special teams: Win field position
  6. Special teams: Do not give up a big play. It is OK to punt out of bounds.
  7. Other: Stay rested and hydrated throughout the day
  8. Other: Stay focused and play 60 minutes

Note: All stats are for PFL only games
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FBUD For This Totally Excellent Post:
DetroitFlyer (10-21-2014), Flyer Gramps (10-21-2014), PittsburghFlyer (10-22-2014)
Old 10-22-2014, 07:47 PM
Colonel

Flyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the rough
Good Luck to all!!!

Game notes are up........http://daytonflyers.com/documents/20...GO.pdf?id=2165

Good Luck & Good Flying to all the parents & fans who are traveling this week to San Diego.

Be sure to take in the Friday night workout & get to the downtown harbor, maybe for lunch at that waterfront restaurant next to the Midway Aircraft carrier. Watch out for that sun!
Mad Props to Flyer Gramps For This Totally Excellent Post:
FBUD (10-24-2014)
Old 10-23-2014, 09:32 AM
Captain

On our way to San diego, dowd is not listed but I was told he's playing....and maybe yenger as well, would certainly allow us to give players a rest on some downs.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Scout86 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer Gramps (10-23-2014), PittsburghFlyer (10-23-2014)
Old 10-23-2014, 03:26 PM
Captain

FBUD is a jewel in the roughFBUD is a jewel in the roughFBUD is a jewel in the rough
Sunny and 80.
GDF!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FBUD For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer Gramps (10-23-2014), Scout86 (10-23-2014)
Old 10-23-2014, 03:26 PM
Colonel

On our way to San diego, dowd is not listed but I was told he's playing....and maybe yenger as well, would certainly allow us to give players a rest on some downs.
3:30 EDT....Are you there yet? flag up?
Mad Props to Flyer Gramps For This Totally Excellent Post:
Scout86 (10-23-2014)
Old 10-23-2014, 05:29 PM
1st Lieutenant

proudpapa will become famous soon enoughproudpapa will become famous soon enough
We spent the day at the Grand Canyon yesterday. Today we are at the Calico Ghost Town on our way to L.A. We will be there tomorrow. GDF!
Posted via Mobile Device
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to proudpapa For This Totally Excellent Post:
DetroitFlyer (10-23-2014), FBUD (10-24-2014), Flyer Gramps (10-23-2014), PittsburghFlyer (10-23-2014), Scout86 (10-23-2014)
Old 10-23-2014, 07:27 PM
Captain

Originally Posted by Flyer Gramps View Post
3:30 EDT....Are you there yet? flag up?
Got in at 12 gramps but we drove north to wine country where we use to live (temecula ) ....we're staying here tonight and heading back in the a.m., flag will be up
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Scout86 For This Totally Excellent Post:
DetroitFlyer (10-23-2014), FBUD (10-24-2014), Flyer Gramps (10-24-2014), PittsburghFlyer (10-23-2014)
Old 10-24-2014, 09:55 AM
1st Lieutenant

Been out here since Wednesday visiting family and friends. Stadium about 15-20 minutes from team hotel. Easy to get to. Son said they were preparing hard this week. Team flight was around 7:00 this morning with a 4:30 wakeup call. A 3 hour layover in Dallas is odd. Game day weather is 80. Its been upper 80s -90s last few days. If you have a free day, visit the Midway aircraft carrier and stay downtown in the Gas Lamp district. Has any and everything you can imagine.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Always Proud For This Totally Excellent Post:
FBUD (10-24-2014), Flyer Gramps (10-24-2014)
Old 10-24-2014, 10:08 AM
Colonel

Another Parent Heard from

Originally Posted by Always Proud View Post
Been out here since Wednesday visiting family and friends. Stadium about 15-20 minutes from team hotel. Easy to get to. Son said they were preparing hard this week. Team flight was around 7:00 this morning with a 4:30 wakeup call. A 3 hour layover in Dallas is odd. Game day weather is 80. Its been upper 80s -90s last few days. If you have a free day, visit the Midway aircraft carrier and stay downtown in the Gas Lamp district. Has any and everything you can imagine.
Was looking at Google satellite maps of the harbor reliving the Midway & lunch at the Fish Market next door when my computer signaled your post on the Pride site. Enjoy, enjoy....if the Friday workout is late afternoon, be sure to go & get some sunset photos. Can't imagine having to wait all day Saturday for the game to start! Go Flyers!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyer Gramps For This Totally Excellent Post:
Always Proud (10-25-2014), FBUD (10-24-2014)
Old 10-24-2014, 07:13 PM
Captain

Reply disappointed in the location of the team hotel, should have looked on the map.....no where near downtown?
Old 10-25-2014, 01:34 AM
1st Lieutenant

proudpapa will become famous soon enoughproudpapa will become famous soon enough
Finally walked through the door and ran straight into Will Bardo in the hallway. Called Branden to tell him who I ran ran into. He advised that they better not come back with anything but a "W". Sounds good to me.
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to proudpapa For This Totally Excellent Post:
DetroitFlyer (10-25-2014), Flyer Gramps (10-25-2014)
Old 10-25-2014, 08:42 AM
1st Lieutenant

Reply disappointed in the location of the team hotel, should have looked on the map.....no where near downtown?
Its only like 9 miles down 163 depending on where you want to go. May have to jump on 5 for a little bit.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:40 PM
Colonel

13-0

1+ qtr...2 UD FG's

USD punting 5th time...oh. oh blocked for UD TD!

very uninspired football by 22 offensive players

For the QB's, the tooooo passes came back into play tonight...

Last edited by Flyer Gramps; 10-25-2014 at 09:56 PM..
Old 10-25-2014, 10:04 PM
Colonel

Halloween is next week guys!!!

Both Special Teams have even joined the party!

I'll check the World Series for a while.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:22 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Is this game live or a rerun from a few weeks back

Certain I've seen this before.
Mad Props to Avid Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer Gramps (10-26-2014)
Old 10-25-2014, 11:44 PM
Colonel

NovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to behold
Ugly game by both. Darn I wanted this win.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:45 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,283 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
We can beat the pretenders, have trouble with the contenders. All our wins are against teams with losing records. Still can have a reasonably successful season, but any thoughts of post season are pretty much gone.
Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Old 10-26-2014, 09:06 AM
Lieutenant General

Epic Fail. Should have been a comfortable win, but it looked like the Flyers played with a bad hangover after a long night of partying.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DetroitFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer Gramps (10-26-2014), PittsburghFlyer (10-26-2014)
Old 10-26-2014, 10:34 AM
Lieutenant General

UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer View Post
Epic Fail. Should have been a comfortable win, but it looked like the Flyers played with a bad hangover after a long night of partying.
How do you figure it should have been a comfortable win? after a 13-0 start we got outscored 40-16, inability to score touchdowns in the red zone was a problem, as it has been for years. defense couldn't stop them at all after the first few series. We got our butt kicked plain and simple. Some teams are just better than we are. Our record over the past few years show that. For whatever reasons we are simply not the program that coaches Carter and Kelly had.
Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Old 10-26-2014, 12:59 PM
Lieutenant General

We could have been up 20-0 and crusing. Instead, we turn a first and goal at the 5 into 0 points then let San Diego go down and score a TD. Complete change in momentum.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:07 PM
Colonel

NovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to behold
Time to move on, we are a better team than what played last night.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:15 PM
Lieutenant General

We could have been up 20-0 and crusing. Instead, we turn a first and goal at the 5 into 0 points then let San Diego go down and score a TD. Complete change in momentum.
I agree, we were in the red zone 4 times and scored on 3, we only got 12 points, had to settle for 3 points on two occasions and none on one. It is what we have done for the last few years. Shoulda, coulda, woulda can be used to explain almost all losses. Fact remains we have 5 wins against teams with losing records and two losses against teams with winning records. We gave up 40 points, really hard to win when we do that. We do have a real opportunity to end up 9-2 or 8-3, that is an improvement, however as I have stated, we just don't seem to be the program we were in the past.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:31 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 17,099 Times in 5,101 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
I was listening in the car coming home from UD Mens soccer last night and when we failed to score up 13-0 when we had it 1st and goal at the 5yd line, I said "that may lose the game for them."

Gotta make hay when you get in the red zone. Especially inside the 5. And we basically missed a PAT to salvage the FG. Just didnt like the mojo at that point.

Up until that point however, I thought Mike Kelly was going to need to check himself into the hospital given how excited he was getting. I couldnt even understand what Larry and Mike were saying on the radio -- just lots of yelling and hot diggidys.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Old 10-26-2014, 02:55 PM
Lieutenant General

Yea, Mike does get a tad excited when the Flyers do something good.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:06 AM
Just off the Jet

Low Man Wins is on a distinguished road
Epic fail. Uninspired football. Playing like they're hung over. Ugly football.
I've read these blogs for awhile and have seen posts like this in the past; I continue to shake my head at such judgments that sully the effort and dedication of these players nad felt compelled to weigh in.

The first 20 minutes was a tremendous display of effort and focus by the Flyers; they were dominating the preseason favorite to win the PFL. As is usually the case in big games, turnovers and what you do with them spells the difference.
Someone can check me bu tI believe SD scored TDs off of every one of our turnovers; we either didn't score or too often settled for FGs.
I thought it was a tremendous display of character by UD to open the 2nd half. After dominating early and then going into the half down, 14-13, they could have pressed and lost their composure on the road but came out and once again dominated. Give credit to SD for responding themselves.
A "neutral" fan observed in the 4th quarter that it was a very entertaining game - and it was. No one was hungover or failing or playing ugly. We did make mistakes at critical times and SD took advantage of ours more than we did with theirs.
Posters need to stop clucking with comparisons to some past standard that isn't realistic in today's balanced and highly competitive PFL.
This offense is predicated on a dynamic, dual threat QB - and Will has been injured since game 7 last year. It's a huge factor. It is very difficult to find the QB with the skill set to make this offense work; we were lucky to stumble into Steve V or the recent history would have been dramatically worse. Bardo is still playing at less than 100% and it really limitsthe offense.
And consider our defensive line lost a starter and the secondary has been decimated by injuries. The thinning out of the depth is showing up in the 4th quarters.
This was a "circle the date" game since August - so it's a tough, tough loss but some of this criticism is inaccurate and unfair to the team
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Low Man Wins For This Totally Excellent Post:
FlyerIllini (10-27-2014), PIONEER 8 (10-27-2014), PittsburghFlyer (10-27-2014)
Old 10-27-2014, 07:18 AM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Low Man Wins View Post
Epic fail. Uninspired football. Playing like they're hung over. Ugly football.
I've read these blogs for awhile and have seen posts like this in the past; I continue to shake my head at such judgments that sully the effort and dedication of these players nad felt compelled to weigh in.

The first 20 minutes was a tremendous display of effort and focus by the Flyers; they were dominating the preseason favorite to win the PFL. As is usually the case in big games, turnovers and what you do with them spells the difference.
Someone can check me bu tI believe SD scored TDs off of every one of our turnovers; we either didn't score or too often settled for FGs.
I thought it was a tremendous display of character by UD to open the 2nd half. After dominating early and then going into the half down, 14-13, they could have pressed and lost their composure on the road but came out and once again dominated. Give credit to SD for responding themselves.
A "neutral" fan observed in the 4th quarter that it was a very entertaining game - and it was. No one was hungover or failing or playing ugly. We did make mistakes at critical times and SD took advantage of ours more than we did with theirs.
Posters need to stop clucking with comparisons to some past standard that isn't realistic in today's balanced and highly competitive PFL.
This offense is predicated on a dynamic, dual threat QB - and Will has been injured since game 7 last year. It's a huge factor. It is very difficult to find the QB with the skill set to make this offense work; we were lucky to stumble into Steve V or the recent history would have been dramatically worse. Bardo is still playing at less than 100% and it really limitsthe offense.
And consider our defensive line lost a starter and the secondary has been decimated by injuries. The thinning out of the depth is showing up in the 4th quarters.
This was a "circle the date" game since August - so it's a tough, tough loss but some of this criticism is inaccurate and unfair to the team
Chime in 30 years from now when you have some appreciation for UD football history. This was an EPIC FAIL and I stand by that assessment 100%.

More detail just from what I remember:
First two scoring drives stall resulting in field goals. Not an epic fail, but certainly a fail when playing on the road against a good team with the PFL title and playoff bid on the line.
First and goal at the 5, up 13-0. Drive stalls again – EPIC FAIL. Attempt and miss a 20 yard, yes 20 yard field goal. ZERO points scored. EPIC FAIL.
Defense then allows long TD drive bringing the score to 13-7. EPIC FAIL.
Don’t even remember when, but FBS transfer return man fumbles kickoff giving USD great field position. Defense gives up another TD. EPIC FAIL.
Quarterback throws two interceptions, defense gives up a TD after each one. EPIC FAIL.
Dayton points scored off of turnovers – 0. San Diego points scored off of turnovers – 20. EPIC FAIL.
Seven yard punt, yes, seven stinking yards. EPIC FAIL.
The mistakes far outweighed the good plays. It is very hard to believe that this team was focused on the task at hand. Good teams play well in big games. Our Flyers played poorly and got their butts whipped! EPIC FAIL.
PFL title hopes all but gone. EPIC FAIL.
Talent wise, we should have and could have won this game. Lack of focus and poor execution resulted in far too many mistakes to win on the road against a good team. EPIC FAIL.
I am also not interested in hearing about a reported injury to our QB. If he cannot run, he should not play! He has never been and never will be a great passing QB, period. He is very inconsistent in the throwing game. For three seasons, we put up with it because he could run. Look up his rushing yards against USD. EPIC FAIL.
I do not even know anymore how many QB’s we have on the roster, but if our current gimpy QB is the best we have then the coaches deserve an EPIC FAIL.
We had a chance to do something special in California on Saturday evening. Instead, we played like the team was hung-over and did not have the focus and desire necessary to win the big game. EPIC FAIL.
These comments are just from memory. I do not want to go back and look up more stats or game summaries as I am going to do my level best to forget this missed opportunity.

Last edited by DetroitFlyer; 10-27-2014 at 08:42 AM..
Old 10-27-2014, 11:15 AM
Lieutenant General

Chime in 30 years from now when you have some appreciation for UD football history. This was an EPIC FAIL and I stand by that assessment 100%.

More detail just from what I remember:
First two scoring drives stall resulting in field goals. Not an epic fail, but certainly a fail when playing on the road against a good team with the PFL title and playoff bid on the line.
First and goal at the 5, up 13-0. Drive stalls again – EPIC FAIL. Attempt and miss a 20 yard, yes 20 yard field goal. ZERO points scored. EPIC FAIL.
Defense then allows long TD drive bringing the score to 13-7. EPIC FAIL.
Don’t even remember when, but FBS transfer return man fumbles kickoff giving USD great field position. Defense gives up another TD. EPIC FAIL.
Quarterback throws two interceptions, defense gives up a TD after each one. EPIC FAIL.
Dayton points scored off of turnovers – 0. San Diego points scored off of turnovers – 20. EPIC FAIL.
Seven yard punt, yes, seven stinking yards. EPIC FAIL.
The mistakes far outweighed the good plays. It is very hard to believe that this team was focused on the task at hand. Good teams play well in big games. Our Flyers played poorly and got their butts whipped! EPIC FAIL.
PFL title hopes all but gone. EPIC FAIL.
Talent wise, we should have and could have won this game. Lack of focus and poor execution resulted in far too many mistakes to win on the road against a good team. EPIC FAIL.
I am also not interested in hearing about a reported injury to our QB. If he cannot run, he should not play! He has never been and never will be a great passing QB, period. He is very inconsistent in the throwing game. For three seasons, we put up with it because he could run. Look up his rushing yards against USD. EPIC FAIL.
I do not even know anymore how many QB’s we have on the roster, but if our current gimpy QB is the best we have then the coaches deserve an EPIC FAIL.
We had a chance to do something special in California on Saturday evening. Instead, we played like the team was hung-over and did not have the focus and desire necessary to win the big game. EPIC FAIL.
These comments are just from memory. I do not want to go back and look up more stats or game summaries as I am going to do my level best to forget this missed opportunity.
DF, in your mind there has never been a game that the Flyers should not have won. ISU and YSU, poor play on our part, never a thought that we just were not good enough. Looking at the 30 year history that you mention, it isn't a hangover or anything like that. We simply are not the caliber of team that played for most of those 30 years. Given that we still have a good shot at 9-2 or 8-3 I would say that we are a bit better than the teams of the last 3 or 4 years. QB has been a ? for the last few years, but that is part of the status of the overall program. We are not dog meat, simply not the power we once were. It was a missed opportunity, but in the end SDU was better than we were. The idea that we are 'more talented' than SDU is also up for debate given the 40 they put up on us and our inability to score in the red zone. Conner is a talent, beyond that we seem ordinary.

Last edited by UD62; 10-27-2014 at 11:19 AM..
Old 10-27-2014, 12:00 PM
Colonel

A New View Joins On

Welcome Low Man Wins to the Forum.

Your post was very passionate as were those from "the other side of the fence". Suspect you are a parent & if so, it is great to have you here where only a few years ago it was only alums. I have no dog in the fight but became hooked & passionate too about UD football a few years ago.

After the first Qtr of botching good football play by USD & failure to cash in very much by UD, I knew that there were some larger, talented & fast players among that Torrero group & they might just show up later. So I went to bed at halftime very much worried that the game would get tougher for the Flyers.

I too think it was a disappointing loss not necessarily Epic since our record out there is not so great. But there's no sympathy here for QB play or 4th qtr tiredness.

It will be a chore to post wins with Butler & Drake but let's get it done anyway.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:18 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by UD62 View Post
DF, in your mind there has never been a game that the Flyers should not have won. ISU and YSU, poor play on our part, never a thought that we just were not good enough. Looking at the 30 year history that you mention, it isn't a hangover or anything like that. We simply are not the caliber of team that played for most of those 30 years. Given that we still have a good shot at 9-2 or 8-3 I would say that we are a bit better than the teams of the last 3 or 4 years. QB has been a ? for the last few years, but that is part of the status of the overall program. We are not dog meat, simply not the power we once were. It was a missed opportunity, but in the end SDU was better than we were. The idea that we are 'more talented' than SDU is also up for debate given the 40 they put up on us and our inability to score in the red zone. Conner is a talent, beyond that we seem ordinary.
Eliminate the myriad of mistakes on Saturday and we win. USD is not massively more talented than our Flyers. Go look at the game stats if you do not believe me.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=400559268

Look at those stats, take away 4 turnovers, a missed chip shot FG, and a 7 yard punt and tell me we should not have won this game....

The biggest difference was MISTAKES by the Flyers. You cannot defeat a good opponent at their house while committing multiple turnovers, leaving points on the field, and not capitalizing when the opportunity presents itself. A focused and well prepared team simply does not make those mistakes.

As has already been pointed out, the overall talent level in the PFL has continued to improve year over year. Yes, PFL teams have caught up in the talent war with our Flyers, largely by following our model. The margin for error, (Davidson), is far, far less than it has ever been since the league was formed. That does not mean that we do not have enough talent. The talent has to perform at the level of their capability, and on Saturday, multiple parts of our team simply did not do that, and we lost.

2014: Bardo- 7 carries, MINUS 11 yards.... If cannot run, he shoud not play!

2013: Dayton wins. Bardo -17 carries, 136 yards, 2 TD's.

Last edited by DetroitFlyer; 10-27-2014 at 12:25 PM..
PIONEER 8 (10-27-2014)
Old 10-27-2014, 01:05 PM

Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
I thought we blocked a punt for a TD?

Old 10-27-2014, 01:14 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
I thought we blocked a punt for a TD?
One for a TD and one for a short field that we did capitalize on. Two great plays completely overshadowed by big mistakes at other times in the game.

Last edited by DetroitFlyer; 10-27-2014 at 01:16 PM..
Old 10-27-2014, 01:18 PM

Thanked 4,600 Times in 2,847 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
But, DF,...

Eliminate the myriad mistakes on Saturday and we win..... The biggest difference was MISTAKES by the Flyers. You cannot defeat a good opponent at their house while committing multiple turnovers, leaving points on the field, and not capitalizing when the opportunity presents itself. A focused and well prepared team simply does not make those mistakes.....
Minimizing mistakes is part of what defines a "good" team. There is a talent component to avoiding mistakes...whether it's HS, college or the NFL. Better, more talented teams make the fewest mistakes.

The Flyers don't make mistakes on purpose, or because they're unprepared or poorly coached, or not well trained....any more than the Raiders or Jets do. Frequent self-defeating mistakes are made by players that are not as good as the ones that don't make mistakes.
Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
UD62 (10-27-2014)
Old 10-27-2014, 01:19 PM
Just off the Jet

I do have an appreciation for UD football history - it's a big part of why my son chose to attend.

Up 29-26 with less than 5 minutes to go on the road; the offense couldn't get the necessary 2 extra first downs to close it out - and then we shank the punt. If there is an epic fail, it was that sequence.

So I wouldn't call it "getting our butts kicked".

We lost a game we simply could not lose - it's very frustrating.

UD62 you know your Flyer football; so what is it?
- lack of "intestinal fortitude" from the players, as you seem to suggest? Or
- coaching?
- play calling?
- recruiting?
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Low Man Wins For This Totally Excellent Post:
DetroitFlyer (10-27-2014), Flyer Gramps (10-27-2014), PIONEER 8 (10-27-2014)
Old 10-27-2014, 01:21 PM
Just off the Jet

Sorry - meant DF, not UD62.
Or you both can weigh in!
Old 10-27-2014, 01:28 PM

One for a TD and one for a short field that we did capitalize on. Two great plays completely overshadowed by big mistakes at other times in the game.
I agree. Im just saying thats points off turnovers we scored on. So we did not goose egg that stat.

Old 10-27-2014, 01:57 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
I agree. Im just saying thats points off turnovers we scored on. So we did not goose egg that stat.
I do not think that blocked punts count as a "turnover". The box score lists one turnover for USD, a fumble. Maybe blocked punts just count as the ball being turned over by downs? Our turnovers were of the classic variety, two interceptions and two fumbles....
Old 10-27-2014, 02:01 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Low Man Wins View Post
Sorry - meant DF, not UD62.
Or you both can weigh in!
I believe coaching and recruiting come closest to the answer. I coached football for 25 years and had been involved in blowouts and close games every year. To question the fortitude and desire of the players is a cope out. Easy to go that route when things don't go our way. Little tougher to say that the other team was just better than we were. Some of the best games my players played were in games where they were overmatched and didn't stand much chance of winning, and in the end didn't win. We are not head and shoulders better than most teams in the PFL, hence our mid pack finishes the last few years. It quite frankly pi**es me off when someone questions the fortitude and "epic fail" when we lose.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:08 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by UACFlyer View Post
Minimizing mistakes is part of what defines a "good" team. There is a talent component to avoiding mistakes...whether it's HS, college or the NFL. Better, more talented teams make the fewest mistakes.

The Flyers don't make mistakes on purpose, or because they're unprepared or poorly coached, or not well trained....any more than the Raiders or Jets do. Frequent self-defeating mistakes are made by players that are not as good as the ones that don't make mistakes.
The discussion was on talent. Kacsor has fumbled a few times this season. That does not mean he is not very talented, it means that he lost focus and did not take care of the ball. A kid that transferred from an FBS program to UD to play his final year as a graduate student is certainly talented. So why does he fumble a kickoff return? FOCUS. USD came ready to play, (eventually), the Flyers did not. In almost any game of closely matched teams, the team that makes the fewest mistakes typically wins. Why do teams make mistakes some weeks and not others? Level of competiton, maybe.... But as I said, go look at the stats for this game. Take away the mistakes and the final score and you would most likely guess that the Flyers won based on the remaining data. How a team cannot be focused for a game that has a PFL title and potential playoff bid on the line is a question for the coaches, players and captains. Far too many foul-ups on Saturday to ever make me believe we brought our "A" game! I completely forgot about the botched extra point.... USD certainly made their share of mistakes, (two blocked punts and a fumble), but the Flyers managed to out-mistake them, resulting in a loss. Extremely disappointing because we should have won with just slightly better execution and fewer mistakes. Unfortunately, every game counts and the result of this one is that the Flyers will be sitting at home again this season watching Jacksonville or maybe San Diego playing in the FCS playoffs.
PIONEER 8 (10-27-2014)
Old 10-27-2014, 02:11 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by UD62 View Post
I believe coaching and recruiting come closest to the answer. I coached football for 25 years and had been involved in blowouts and close games every year. To question the fortitude and desire of the players is a cope out. Easy to go that route when things don't go our way. Little tougher to say that the other team was just better than we were. Some of the best games my players played were in games where they were overmatched and didn't stand much chance of winning, and in the end didn't win. We are not head and shoulders better than most teams in the PFL, hence our mid pack finishes the last few years. It quite frankly pi**es me off when someone questions the fortitude and "epic fail" when we lose.
I really do not care if FACTS p*ss you off. The number of mistakes made by the Flyers on Saturday were an EPIC FAIL. Maybe you can make yourself feel better by giving everyone on the team a participation trophy!
Old 10-27-2014, 02:23 PM
Captain

Just watched the film and I have to give San Diego coaches credit. They had a very good game plan on defense. They crowded the line to make it tough for us to run and played soft on the corners which limited our ability to go over the top. Result was they largely forced us to dink and dunk down the field and we were not consistent enough to do so. Connor broke two long runs but was otherwise bottled up. We got two TDs off of blocked punts and one off of a flanker pass (great call and great execution by the way).

The game really turned when we did not get any points with first and goal at the 5 and leading 13 to 0. If we punch that in it would be very hard for them to come back. Clearly the momentum changed at that point. I really credit our kids for coming back to take the lead after giving up 20 straight points. I think that showed a lot of character by the Flyers. In the end we again only got three points after having first and goal at the 10. Then the defense gets a stop and we get the ball back with the lead and 7 minutes to go. We got one first down and then got a little conservative on the play calling in my opinion. San Diego was making it tough for us to run all night so I think we could have taken them up on their dink and dunk offer to get one or two more first downs. The 7 yard punt at that point was a killer.

Bottom line is that you can't have 4 turnovers and a below average kicking game and beat a good team on the road. It will be interesting to see how the team responds after this loss. None of the 4 remaining games are a gimmie (even Valpo can put up a lot of points).

I think SD loses this week at Drake and if Jacksonville beats Marist (at Marist) I don't see them losing either of their last two so we are likely playing for second if that is the case.

Last edited by PIONEER 8; 10-27-2014 at 02:32 PM..
Mad Props to PIONEER 8 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Low Man Wins (10-27-2014)
Old 10-27-2014, 02:36 PM

Im not sure if a blocked punt counts as a TO. It might not. But, the result is very similar. Most blocked punts dont end up as TDs the other way. So, that was a great special teams play.

But it obviously wasnt enough.

Im not a Flyer football die-hard like some of you, but from a 30,000ft view of things based on knowing UD football for 30yrs, it just seems like the last 10 years or so that UD has lost its defensive identity more than anything else. UD used to give you 14pts a game and that was it -- no matter who we played. Now it seems like we give up 25-35 a game. I just dont ever remember UD football being so generous on defense.

Even in the old days of running triple option where points were sometimes hard to come by against other good defensive teams, we'd still win 17-10 against the top teams.

Unless you can keep the points down, you are always rowing uphill. There's a reason Oregon has not won a national title and Bama, LSU, FSU, Auburn, etc have.

Old 10-27-2014, 02:52 PM
Lieutenant General

I really do not care if FACTS p*ss you off. The number of mistakes made by the Flyers on Saturday were an EPIC FAIL. Maybe you can make yourself feel better by giving everyone on the team a participation trophy!
I repeat, questioning the fortitude of the team is a cope out. Neither of us will be changing our minds any time soon, so I'm done

Last edited by UD62; 10-27-2014 at 03:15 PM..
Old 10-27-2014, 03:03 PM
Captain

Bottom line is that we should never be willing to accept anything other than championships. If the other schools in the PFL are catching up with us then we need to find a way to step it up and put some distance between us. Based on geography and high school football; Dayton, Jacksonville and San Diego should be at the top of the conference each year (maybe Stetson as well once they get established). The other schools are fighting an up hill battle. Not saying we should win the conference every year but we should be contenders every year.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to PIONEER 8 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (10-27-2014), Flyer Gramps (10-27-2014), jmitch (10-28-2014), Low Man Wins (10-27-2014), mwflyer (10-27-2014)
Old 10-27-2014, 03:23 PM
Captain

As a parent of a player I know that they don't wake up every day and say what can I F up today and when they walk on the field I know they don't say what can I F up right now, the kids played their hearts out ....there's always going to be a winner and there's always going to be a loser but the boys run the plays that are called ....and yes once the balls snapped they have to be ready to improvise...trust me, those players feel worse than any of us ever will. You win as a team and you lose as a team nobody should be pointing fingers at each other..... I for one saw tears in my sons eyes when he came out of the dressing room....I'll never forget that look.....and I told him today...I'm proud of you .....you played your butt off....mistakes happen so it's okay to be disappointed crap we all are but it's okay ...just make sure you all stay together as one and hit the field again come Saturday as we'll be there as always being loud and annoying.

Last edited by Scout86; 10-27-2014 at 03:26 PM..
11 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Scout86 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Chris R (10-27-2014), FBUD (10-27-2014), Flyer Gramps (10-27-2014), FlyerIllini (10-28-2014), Lifelong Flyer Fan (10-27-2014), Low Man Wins (10-27-2014), mwflyer (10-27-2014), PIONEER 8 (10-27-2014), PittsburghFlyer (10-29-2014), proudpapa (10-29-2014), UD62 (10-27-2014)