Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 09-25-2008, 12:50 PM
Major

UDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these parts
I was reading some posts when I read these.....

"Temple and Dayton could both struggle early given what they lost from last season. I know Dionte Christmas is the guy who got the pub, but Mark Tyndale was the Owls glue. They'll miss his defense, leadership and overall toughness. Brian Roberts was one of the best players EVER in the Atlantic 10 and the Flyers will have to look elsewhere when the shot clock is running down. They can be competitive as we get into February but it will be a tough transition for both teams.

I expect Temple to be a team that gets better later in the season. Fran Dunphy will have this team playing it's best ball (like last year) by March. Dayton will be an NIT team if they're lucky."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"When push comes to shove, I find it really difficult to put Brian Roberts on the list of greatest players ever in Atlantic Ten history. Yeah he scored a ton of points, but he never won a league championship and he never appeared in the NCAA Tournament. He was great, but I don't consider him one of the best players ever to come from the Atlantic Ten (Marcus Camby, David West, Jameer Nelson etc.).

As for Temple and Dayton... I can see Dayton struggling because of the lack of Roberts more than Temple struggling because of lack of Tyndale. Dayton's other guards besides Roberts have been underwhelming (other than Marcus Johnson, at times). Temple, on the other hand, obviously has Dionte Christmas, their leading scorer last year, as well as other guards who played a significant role last year. Lavoy Allen could be a major "x" factor for Temple this season. He had a good freshman campaign and should continue to blossom this season. The most important position in basketball is the guard position, and Temple has that, Dayton really does not, yet. Plus, Temple has the momentum coming off a championship season. Dayton still has to live with their injury laden/collapse last season. A deep NIT run, however, could make Dayton hungry for bigger and better things.

Bottom line though, I really don't expect Temple to struggle too much. I really don't expect Dayton to do so either, but if I had to pick one over the other to struggle, it's much easier to see Dayton starting slow."

Do you guys think we will struggle? I don't think we will struggle one bit. We have a good schedule for our guys to play with (Auburn, Marquette) I think the people who posts these might want to do a little more home work. Wright, Johnson,Little will all step up and we have a great big man in Kurt Hulesman.

Last edited by UDF4N4LIF3; 09-25-2008 at 12:52 PM..
Advertisement
Old 09-25-2008, 12:59 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,409 Times in 577 Posts
anthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond repute
I don't see anything wrong with those comments. For UD, as always, it comes down to the PG play. Can London turn in a consistent year, or can the new kid Lowry step in and lead this team on the court? Those are my biggest questions with this team, and if the answer is "yes", then this team will do just fine. I haven't seen this Lowry kid play at all, and I've yet to see London turn into a consistent starting PG at the Div. 1 level. So, I have to see it to believe it.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:02 PM
Major

UDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these parts
Theres nothing wrong with the comments, But they were done by Xavier fans.....
Old 09-25-2008, 01:13 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,877 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Unleash the hounds...

If we continue to insist on passing the ball around for 32 seconds before looking for a shot, we'll struggle. So would UNC, KU, X and UCLA.

If we fast break and attack the basket regularly, I see no reason why we shouldn't earn 25+ wins.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:29 PM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
If we continue to insist on passing the ball around for 32 seconds before looking for a shot, we'll struggle. So would UNC, KU, X and UCLA.

If we fast break and attack the basket regularly, I see no reason why we shouldn't earn 25+ wins.
Gotta rebound to run - that's what CW brings to the game more than anything.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:36 PM
Colonel

as_4 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by UDF4N4LIF3 View Post
But they were done by Xavier fans.....
And?

They seem right on if you ask me.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:47 PM

Thanked 1,650 Times in 838 Posts
Canonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond repute
Not much wrong at all ... standard fair really. It just depends on how fast this years team can define roles and how quickly they gel ... particularly at PG. Don't be suprised if BG coaches this team to somewhere between 18 - 22 w's.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:19 PM
Major

Originally Posted by Canonball View Post
Not much wrong at all ... standard fair really. It just depends on how fast this years team can define roles and how quickly they gel ... particularly at PG. Don't be suprised if BG coaches this team to somewhere between 18 - 22 w's.

I'm thinking somewhere around 24-25 wins....You do know we have a future top 15 pick NBA player on this team right? And marcus johnson is very very good. Little can have a monster season as a starter...And hulesman plays good against every big man.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:17 PM

Canonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond repute
You do know that our potential starting PG turns the ball over more than he assists right?
Old 09-25-2008, 09:42 PM
Brigadier General

FlyerFanatic08 has a spectacular aura aboutFlyerFanatic08 has a spectacular aura aboutFlyerFanatic08 has a spectacular aura about
if we dont win 20+ games this season, with the schedule we have...it will be a disappointment.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:03 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FlyerFanatic08 View Post
if we dont win 20+ games this season, with the schedule we have...it will be a disappointment.
I agree. 20 wins minimum, that increases with good point guard play and increases even more if someone other than Marcus can make three pointers.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:00 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I know this don't count for a whole lot but UD finished 3rd of all A-10 teams last year with its overall W L record. That tells me they have the capability of finishing in the top 3 in the A-10 baring any repeat injuries.

While a lot depends on guard play I am of the belief that players mature into their roles and LW and company will be ready come A-10 time. Should see a whole new team in the conference play than teams of last 5 years.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:34 AM
Major

Originally Posted by Canonball View Post
You do know that our potential starting PG turns the ball over more than he assists right?
You do know players get better as they Mature? I am not huge on London Warren but I think he can step up and play excellent basketball, He stepped up some games last season with double figure scoring and double figure rebounds. I think we will be just fine. London will make mistakes but he will also make up for mistakes. He gives 110% everytime and you can't ask for much more then that! And when our "Shooting" Poing Guard comes in (Lowery) our offense will be even better.

I believe we can do it!

"We Are UD"
Old 09-26-2008, 08:12 AM
Major

FlyerYouBetcha is just really niceFlyerYouBetcha is just really niceFlyerYouBetcha is just really niceFlyerYouBetcha is just really nice
I give 110 percent, too, but I'm 49, weigh 220, and am slow as a tree. So London giving 110 percent doesn't impress me. He has to have the ability in every area of the game in order to go with it. For example, giving 110 percent while shooting 51 percent at the free throw line is not good -- but giving 110 percent while being on defenders like white on rice is good. Prediction: If our point guard (s) makes 70 percent in free throws, and is able to make the three at least once a game on average, we go to the NCAA, no problem. If it's the same LW as last year, and no improvement with Lowery, we don't.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:16 AM

Thanked 15,877 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Brilliant!!!

Originally Posted by FlyerYouBetcha View Post
If our point guard (s) makes 70 percent in free throws, and is able to make the three at least once a game on average, we go to the NCAA, no problem. If it's the same LW as last year, and no improvement with Lowery, we don't.
I wholeheartedly agree....point guard play will determine out success.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:27 AM
Major

Well if Lowery or Warren don't step up lets give Thomas a chance. And if he does'nt step up wellll it's not lookin to good. We may have to experiment with Paul Williams as PG.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by FlyerYouBetcha View Post
but giving 110 percent while being on defenders like white on rice is good.
Cracked me up with this quote.

LW does give us the spark and the D .... but that's not what we're talking about. He's got to figure out how to run the offense efficiently. That means limiting turnovers, getting the ball to the hot players, recognizing when to put it in overdrive and when to slow down, and oh yes ... hitting more than half of your freebies.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:38 AM
Brigadier General

The Chef will become famous soon enoughThe Chef will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by UDF4N4LIF3 View Post
Theres nothing wrong with the comments, But they were done by Xavier fans.....
I cannot comment on anything for which the source is not shared. If xubrew posted these comments, I'd have a different reaction than if another _avier fan had posted it. Who posted these comments and where were they posted?