User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-12-2015, 08:00 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,687 Times in 927 Posts
bobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond repute
Mandarin Chinese Audio

The Flyers basketball schedule indicates there will be "audio" for all the games, as well as "Mandarin Chinese Audio."

Um, yeah, I'd like Wonton Soup and an Egg Roll with that, please.

Is this for real?
Mad Props to bobber For This Totally Excellent Post:
31770 (11-13-2015)
Advertisement
Old 11-12-2015, 08:13 PM
Major

Iguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to behold
Yes there is a group of Chinese students announcing on a rotating basis:

http://daytonflyers.com/news/2015/10...030151908.aspx
Mad Props to Iguomaniac For This Totally Excellent Post:
ruechalgrin (11-13-2015)
Old 11-12-2015, 08:21 PM
Captain

Cityengr is a name known to allCityengr is a name known to allCityengr is a name known to allCityengr is a name known to allCityengr is a name known to allCityengr is a name known to all
Originally Posted by bobber View Post
The Flyers basketball schedule indicates there will be "audio" for all the games, as well as "Mandarin Chinese Audio."

Is this for real?
Yes! Lengthy Archdeacon article in today's DDN sports section about it. Graduate student boyfriend/girlfriend duo doing it along with two other two person teams. Appeals to the nearly 700 Chinese students at UD and back to the homeland fueled by the popularity of Yao Ming's emergence in the NBA back in 2002.
Mad Props to Cityengr For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (11-15-2015)
Old 11-12-2015, 08:49 PM
Captain

LI2UD2PA is a name known to allLI2UD2PA is a name known to allLI2UD2PA is a name known to allLI2UD2PA is a name known to allLI2UD2PA is a name known to allLI2UD2PA is a name known to all
This is potentially the "real deal". UD has staked their claim with China for their "diversification" program. I am not as supportive of it as my daughter is in admissions for a top 35 program and claims there are many issues with the Chinese students language skills and assimilation. Could work for recruiting but UD needs to take a re look at that aspect of recruiting.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:22 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,355 Times in 586 Posts
College B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Originally Posted by Cityengr View Post
Yes! Lengthy Archdeacon article in today's DDN sports section about it. Graduate student boyfriend/girlfriend duo doing it along with two other two person teams. Appeals to the nearly 700 Chinese students at UD and back to the homeland fueled by the popularity of Yao Ming's emergence in the NBA back in 2002.
The Arch article was great! The kids interviewed sounded excited and despite some of the academic "problems" associated with some of these young Chinese students (assimilation, allegations of not being as "truthful" as they could be on occasion, etc.) I'm all for expanding into China and admitting there students "IF" they want to be here and earn there grades!

Lots of advantages both strategically/financially for the University as well this kind of an "added" benefit!
Old 11-13-2015, 02:15 PM
Colonel

NorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
I can only see more pluses than minuses for doing our best to welcome them here. It will build bridges and more opportunities for the University and students on both sides of the pond.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:24 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Like with any group, "they" are all not alike. We had a girl from Shanghai, live with is for half her senior year in high school. She is now a junior at Virginia Tech and very much wants to assimilate into life in the US. She thought it was a lot of fun when her school's football team won a real big game early last season. I think it is real interesting that someone at VT talked her into doing a study abroad program in Germany this year.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:45 PM
1st Lieutenant

Dillomernda is a glorious beacon of lightDillomernda is a glorious beacon of lightDillomernda is a glorious beacon of lightDillomernda is a glorious beacon of lightDillomernda is a glorious beacon of lightDillomernda is a glorious beacon of light
As a student that has attended all but 1 of the home games while school has been in session the past two years, I recall only seeing Chinese kids in the student section with me about half the time. I can't imagine that most Chinese kids even care to listen to the broadcast or basketball in general until we reach March.

Just this past exhibition game, I was sitting in a seat and saw Dr. Dan sitting with some Chinese kids across the way. Him and the Chinese kids seemed to have an awkward thing going on as none of them seemed to be having a conversation with one another, at least the times that I looked to see what they were up to. Also, they seemed disinterested in the game as well.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:00 PM
Captain

31770 is a jewel in the rough31770 is a jewel in the rough31770 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by bobber View Post

Is this for real?
I'm having Chinese takeout while watching the game... do i get points and a fortune cookie????

<------ chewing... not what you think....
Old 11-13-2015, 07:27 PM
General

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
者,德也;行於萬物者,道也;上治人者,事也;能有所藝者,技也。技兼於事,
Old 11-13-2015, 09:52 PM
Colonel

tirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond repute
Cool

Originally Posted by TommyGola View Post
者,德也;行於萬物者,道也;上治人者,事也;能有所藝者,技也。技兼於事,
google translates this as:

Who is also Germany; the line in all those who, way too; the treatment of people who do also; can be Geisha, technology also. Technology and in business,

?

Must be very deep haiku... I'm going to have to meditate on that one...
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to tirebiter For This Totally Excellent Post:
bobber (11-13-2015), Dillomernda (11-13-2015)