UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Football

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-24-2008, 11:05 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Finally - A Welcome Stadium Deal

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/con...ill_bring.html
Advertisement
Old 03-25-2008, 09:30 AM
Colonel

Flyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the rough
Another logo?

Great news 69'r. You da man when it comes to Welcome Stadium appropriation news.

Surprised that the field turf money was not part of the State's portion. Now besides "Welcome" and "DPS" and "UD" logos, we'll have a "Kettering" to deal with.

Keep us posted. Guess I'll be there on a Friday night this April!

Last edited by Flyer Gramps; 03-25-2008 at 09:53 AM..
Old 03-25-2008, 09:58 AM
Just off the Jet

FLYERNKY is on a distinguished road
This is awesome news!! Long overdue. The players deserve to play on a field surface that is not ancient. That olsd astroturf was unsafe.
Now can they just put "DAYTON" in the endzones. You can keep the name but please make it look like a college stadium. For the money to be spent, do it right.
Do we get a new scoreboard as well?
Old 03-25-2008, 02:20 PM

Thanked 4,600 Times in 2,847 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Good News,....better than expected

It sounds as if Welcome will be turned into a first rate facility for our top-notch football team,....and will be icing on the cake for our Sports Complex. Even a jazzy exterior renovation, apparently. I wonder if the work will be accomplished by this fall,....hopefully the FieldTurf, at least.

Detroit Flyer, where are you?....if anyone will have a comment on this development it should be you.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:20 PM
Brigadier General

The Chef will become famous soon enoughThe Chef will become famous soon enough
It will look a lot better, but...

I doubt DetroitFlyer will be happy.

Exhibit A: The Artist renderings.

No mention of UD anywhere.

Exhibit B: UD's President takes a stand. UD has no interest in buying Welcome, EVER!

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/con..._ud_has_n.html
Old 03-25-2008, 08:58 PM

UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Thoughts for Chef (and DF)

The guys that run UD are very, very smart and savy; they oversee an institution that makes wise financial decisions with long term impact.

These are the same folks that bought the ~ 30 acres upon which the Sports Complex is situated; and they are the ones that invested heavily to create the Complex on the land. And, the President now goes out of his way to make clear that UD has never had an interest in owning WS and never will. Duh! Let's think about that.

The fact is that if UD "owned" WS it would not have access to tax payer's dollars for capital improvements and/or operational expenses. It might not have been able to attract the money that Kettering is providing for the FieldTurf, although that's not certain.

The present arrangement is win-win for all concerned. The City has access to all that UD does well; UD has use of what will soon become a very nice venue for football located with the confines of the Sports Complex, without having to pay for it. What could be better?

It does seem. however, that there should be some evidence that WS is a college stadium, at least on game days. And there can be, easily. If the UD logo is not permanently affixed to some wall, somewhere, ...there is no reason why the stadium cannot be emblazoned with UD flags/banners on game days. Maybe it is already; I don't know.

And, it would be nice to see some sort of logo on the field for UD games. Removable logos are used on BB courts; perhaps that's not possible on a football field. But, we all know that NFL fields and large college stadiums that are used for bowl games have logos at mid-field that are not permanent.

I am confident that something will be done to address this issue. Much more important is the fact that the Flyers will be using a facility with renovated locker rooms, concession and rest room areas, a dandy press box, a FieldTurf surface (very important) and an array of interior and exterior aesthetic improvements,.....to the tune of several million,....that will make our stadium among the best in non-scholie FSC football.

It's overdue;....but, what's not to like?
Old 03-25-2008, 10:30 PM
Colonel

Flyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the rough
Thanks Chef, your pictures sure took a lot of wind out of the "sleek design" statement for the exterior of the stadium. And I agree, DF will not be happy. On a State-wide high school forum somebody referred to "putting lipstick on a pig". I wouldn't go that far but I was dead nuts early this morning pointing out another logo for the field. For the life of me I cannot fathom why "WELCOME" is necessary in both end zones or any end zone. It's the name of the stadium not the field or who plays there or the city it's in!

Anyway, it will always be this way since there is a possibility that the DPS can't sell it (part of the original land title), that UD doesn't want to spend more on a football faciltiy and this is a way for both to get State and other monies.

IMO, the University should step up with some way to make it look like a college game with signs, flags, decorations. I wrote before how I saw the Metrodome changed from a pro Viking site to a U of M college site in four hours - ads, signs and field changed.

The turf would be a big help even though we fans have to look at DPS and now a very busy end zone. Hard to not think mid-major when this is the big news.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:07 PM

Thanked 17,095 Times in 5,100 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
meadowdale soccer program must be excited?

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Old 03-26-2008, 09:07 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,452 Times in 781 Posts
DetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Yipee!!!!!

The pictures of the proposals are about enough to make me puke!

This appears to be about the second worst outcome that could have been expected. ( The first being nothing happening at all ). Frankly, if the news is accurate as reported, Dr. Curran has done a huge disservice to our excellent football program in my opinion. We will continue to be the only team in the PFL, if not all of college football, that plays in a stadium that has no significant reference to our proud university. Trust me, a stray flag or a vague portable reference to UD on game day is a far cry from having our logo somewhere, ( anywhere ) in the stadium! Maybe it is not too late to request toilet seats with the UD logo in the renovated bathrooms....

It is simply beyond comprehension to see a school like Valpo invest in their football stadium, or Drake, or reportedly Jacksonville, or Campbell, or, the list goes on, while UD is still held to the mercy of a public school system.... In fact, UD's investment in the stadium appears to be next to nothing.... A "discount" for HS teams to play in the Arena? Please.... We have treated this whole process like we are Antioch University, on the verge of closing the doors....

It will be nice to have a decent, safe playing surface for our boys, and it will help in recruiting! To be honest, any update all all will be an improvement.

I am very disappointed in Dr. Curran taking what appears to be the easy way out....

Happy? No! Resigned? I guess.... Maybe I'll get fired up enough to send ole Dr. Dan a note so he knows very clearly how at least one fan feels....

A couple of other observations:

1. UD will run the parking concessions and maintain the parking lots.... Does that mean that UD will now start charging to park for football games? Maybe we can put a UD logo in the parking lot....

2. I saw it reported that DPS owns the land / parking lots around the arena and stadium. I have also heard that UD owns the lots. Which one is correct?
Old 03-26-2008, 09:30 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DetroitFlyer View Post
2. I saw it reported that DPS owns the land / parking lots around the arena and stadium. I have also heard that UD owns the lots. Which one is correct?
Perhaps they are both correct. In real estate the land owner does not always own the mineral rights. So maybe DPS owns the land under the pavement but not the pavement or the painted lines
Old 03-26-2008, 09:45 AM
Colonel

Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
Perhaps they are both correct. In real estate the land owner does not always own the mineral rights. So maybe DPS owns the land under the pavement but not the pavement or the painted lines
Great news Avid. If we own the pavement, then UD logos can be all over the lot!!!

DPS can have all the water under the lot and under the practice field too. The more this unfolds the more it reminds me why I hate politics so much.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:52 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Politics.....uurrrrgh! Agree with you there.

In reality can't believe UD isn't interested in owning the stadium but it is the proper thing to say at this time so non UD tax payers don't get bent out of shape for the state to spend money on something that would or could be owned in the future by a private party (and Catholic to boot).
Old 03-26-2008, 11:51 AM
Brigadier General

For the record, I'm not disappointed. Frankly, I'm glad an arrangement that results in an improved stadium for the team to play in has been achieved. I don't think this is the second worst possible outcome. We're getting something for almost nothing here in my view. Honestly, I would have been more displeased if the announcement made was that UD was buying the stadium from DPS.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:28 PM
Lieutenant General

DetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDetroitFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
It figures....

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...08skyline.html

And who exactly will play the first game in a renovated Welcome Stadium? Suffice it to say it will not be the Flyers. What a surprise....

Yep, we got exactly what we "paid" for, the ongoing privledge of playing football games in a high school stadium.

Yep, no way UD could afford one of those fancy stadiums like say Drake, Campbell, Butler, San Diego, Morehead State, Valparaiso, need I continue?
Old 03-26-2008, 01:20 PM

Wait and see....

I think you guys should wait and see the final outcome before getting too upset. UD, Curran, Kissell are the ones responsible for outstanding athletic facilities across the board. Why in the world would they demand less for football?

I'm betting that on game days WS will be a stadium that we'll all be proud of,....indeed, I'll bet no other PFL stadium will come close.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:57 PM
Lieutenant General

You have not been to....

Originally Posted by UACFlyer View Post
I think you guys should wait and see the final outcome before getting too upset. UD, Curran, Kissell are the ones responsible for outstanding athletic facilities across the board. Why in the world would they demand less for football?

I'm betting that on game days WS will be a stadium that we'll all be proud of,....indeed, I'll bet no other PFL stadium will come close.

Drake, or San Diego. I have been to both. Drake is simply amazing. Parking is a problem, but the stadium is absolutely Division I all the way. Drake is my vote for best in the league! USD's stadium fits their campus to a tee. It is not massive, ( 7000+ or so if I remember right ), but it is a nice, college stadium that USD OWNS and MAINTAINS!!!!!

I have not been to Davidson, but I hear it is top notch as well. Campbell is building a brand new stadium on their campus.... Brand new.... Welcome has a LONG way to go to be considered the best facility in the PFL.... A renovated facility might get it into the top half, but best in the league, I have serious doubts.... We shall see.

The comments I have heard do not lead me to be very optimistic.... It sounds like UD is happy to sit by while the taxpayers of Ohio foot the majority of the bill to renovate this community treasure, paid for with the pennies of our children in the 1940's, ( tear in my eye ).... I fully expect to walk in this fall and be greeted with the DPS logo, the Welcome logo, the Kettering Medical logo, while struggling to see any hint of UD unless I gaze over towards the arena....

I hope I am wrong and that I will be surprised, but I'm not going to hold my breath!
Old 03-26-2008, 02:30 PM
Captain

TD Flyer has a spectacular aura aboutTD Flyer has a spectacular aura aboutTD Flyer has a spectacular aura about
http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...08skyline.html

And who exactly will play the first game in a renovated Welcome Stadium? Suffice it to say it will not be the Flyers. What a surprise....

Yep, we got exactly what we "paid" for, the ongoing privledge of playing football games in a high school stadium.

Yep, no way UD could afford one of those fancy stadiums like say Drake, Campbell, Butler, San Diego, Morehead State, Valparaiso, need I continue?
DF, you can add to your list, Toledo Central Catholic High School. Yes that is high school, a school one tenth of the size of UD, with a fraction of the income stream.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:39 PM
Captain

TD Flyer has a spectacular aura aboutTD Flyer has a spectacular aura aboutTD Flyer has a spectacular aura about
Who made out well on this deal? DPS. They get a renovated stadium, a discount for using our arena, event marketing help from UD, and new revenue from outside events, with no investment by them. If we don't get some kind of proper marking on the field, Dr. Curran failed in the bargaining process.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:48 PM
Colonel

The real problem

Isn't the real problem, the crux of our situation, that something about the University is not on the turf?

Can't argue about adding field turf and sprucing the place up. Last year they painted, fixed dangerous railings and seats. Can't argue that.

It's the fact that the Public School System which owns it puts their name on it and the field and in fact named it after one of their own, Mr. Welcome. Would not the University do the same?

I don't like this Welcome name in both end zones (it should be on the building and walls not the turf) and the DPS logo would be better received with the simple word DAYTON which is the City and University name. Now of course, if you give a million for turf then you get Kettering Foundation on the field. UD had their chance but kept the wallet closed.

UD fans will just have to put up with the names the owners want on their facility. You might call the Athletic Director, Jonas Smith - 937-542-4070 - at his Welcome Stadium office and politely suggest that the end zones are too busy and the center logo should be DAYTON. And... continue to be a bit embarrassed that this University plays on a high school facility.

Jonas Smith knows all about the field plans and who is doing the work:

DPS Athletic Director Jonas Smith said the field turf, called 24/7, will be installed by The Motz Group, a Cincinnati-based company that put in new surfaces at Franklin, Springboro and Valley View, as well as at venues around the world.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:04 PM
Colonel

smitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond repute
The outside looks nice,but

those end zones are horrible!!! I don't think that the Kettering stuff should be written on the field when it is clearly something you see upon entering the stadium. They really should reconsider that plan. It would be better to have "WELCOME" on one end and "STADIUM" on the other.Or even have "DAYTON" on both ends and a smaller Kettering logo with "welcome stadium" in the center. Of course, that's just my opinion.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:22 PM
Brigadier General

Drake and San Diego

Drake didn't build their staduim for football. They built if for Track and Field, which makes them the money that allows them to build and upgrade such a stadium. They just happen to put the football team in the same stadium.

San Diego didn't build their stadium for football. They built it primarily for Soccer.

Unless you want the AD to sink a bunch of money into Baujan Field so that they can play there again, I don't want to hear these bogus comparisons to Drake and San Diego. Valpo, maybe, but not those two.

Last edited by The Chef; 03-26-2008 at 04:25 PM..
Old 03-26-2008, 04:46 PM
Lieutenant General

Bogus....

Originally Posted by The Chef View Post
Drake didn't build their staduim for football. They built if for Track and Field, which makes them the money that allows them to build and upgrade such a stadium. They just happen to put the football team in the same stadium.

San Diego didn't build their stadium for football. They built it primarily for Soccer.

Unless you want the AD to sink a bunch of money into Baujan Field so that they can play there again, I don't want to hear these bogus comparisons to Drake and San Diego. Valpo, maybe, but not those two.

Not hardly. UD is in at least an equal if not better financial position to fund athletics as compared to either Drake or USD. If either one of those schools can build a "STADIUM" for whatever purpose you want to identify, then there is no reason whatsoever that Dayton could not at least have a "STADIUM" with our logo somewhere on the property. The FACT is both schools have much nicer "STADIUMS" on their campus then we do. Other schools find a way, UD waits for a public school system and the taxpayers of Ohio to find a way.... End of story. Try again!
Old 03-26-2008, 05:01 PM

Thanked 17,095 Times in 5,100 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
i know of no outdoor sporting event at dayton that carries the same panache' as the drake relays. that is a national event with prestige that requires national level press facilities and accommodations and egress and all that jazz. dayton vs jacksonville in football does not.

DPS football isnt very good either. On Friday night when i drive by Welcome on my way to Baujan to cover a soccer game, theres 45 people in the stands.

Dayton football just isnt good enough to spend money for Dayton football's sake alone. The ticket revenue doesnt justify it. If Welcome was getting 9,000 a game and selling out twice a year, that would be different.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Old 03-26-2008, 05:19 PM
Lieutenant General

Jacksonville....

by the way has an absolutely horrible facility. Rumor has it that they too are in the process of fund raising to build a new stadium. Any bets that the Jacksonville public school system and the taxpayers of Florida do not foot the bill?

If UD does not garner at least some kind of logo, ON THE FIELD, we have failed miserably in this endeavour as far as I am concerned. If a medical center can buy a logo, ( or two ), are you going to tell me that UD could not have worked something out as well? This does not appear to be a "compromise" agreement at all, it appears as though DPS got everything they could have possibly wanted, while UD could not even garner a small logo somewhere....

Look, I am happy for our boys that we get off that green parking lot, and as I said before, any updates will be an improvement. It just falls far short of what a school of UD's stature should have for an excellent sports program.... I just do not think Curran and company realize how annoying it is for some of us hardcore football fans to have our team play "CLEARLY" in someone's elses high school stadium.... They do not appear to have even thrown us a bone...
Old 03-26-2008, 06:54 PM

DF has an obligation to lead the charge...

OK DF, you have spoken. Now it's time to do more than "speak".

You are, without doubt, exceptionally knowledgeable and passionate about UD football. If I had your passion about anything I would do far more than just talk.

It is time for you to carefully craft a letter to Ted Kissell stating your views on the Welcome Stadium issue, and at the same time request a meeting with him to personally discuss the matter. TK will gladly oblige, of that I am certain.

When you do that at least two things will happen: 1. TK will hear first hand from you a thoughtful, knowledgeable appeal concerning UD's presence or lack thereof in a remodeled WS; 2. No doubt you will learn a few things that you do not know now. And, when you have a face-to-face with Ted you will come away with the feeling that UD athletics are in the hands of a top notch leader and a very nice guy as well,....a guy who will listen to anything you have to say.

A word of caution;....if you bring up the topic of scholarship football it will severely compromise your other points. (TK will think you're a quack.) Stick to the WS issue.

DF,....you've got to do this. You owe it to all on this board that have been absorbing your opinions on the matter. And a guy that travels all over the world to watch the Flyers play cannot say he doesn't have the time to meet with Kissell.

Make it happen!
Old 03-26-2008, 08:51 PM
Lieutenant General

TK and Scholarship Football....

I did discuss scholarship football with TK when we made the trip to San Diego. He told me that the Trustees would never support it.... I was unable to pry out his personal opinion, but I would not expect him to tell me anything other than the party line.

As for a meeting.... He would probably agree to see me. I have found everyone in the athletic department to be very responsive. I may start with a letter and see where it goes.... I agree that many times fans are willing to complain on message boards, but most are not willing to take any real action. I will give it a shot.

OK DF, you have spoken. Now it's time to do more than "speak".

You are, without doubt, exceptionally knowledgeable and passionate about UD football. If I had your passion about anything I would do far more than just talk.

It is time for you to carefully craft a letter to Ted Kissell stating your views on the Welcome Stadium issue, and at the same time request a meeting with him to personally discuss the matter. TK will gladly oblige, of that I am certain.

When you do that at least two things will happen: 1. TK will hear first hand from you a thoughtful, knowledgeable appeal concerning UD's presence or lack thereof in a remodeled WS; 2. No doubt you will learn a few things that you do not know now. And, when you have a face-to-face with Ted you will come away with the feeling that UD athletics are in the hands of a top notch leader and a very nice guy as well,....a guy who will listen to anything you have to say.

A word of caution;....if you bring up the topic of scholarship football it will severely compromise your other points. (TK will think you're a quack.) Stick to the WS issue.

DF,....you've got to do this. You owe it to all on this board that have been absorbing your opinions on the matter. And a guy that travels all over the world to watch the Flyers play cannot say he doesn't have the time to meet with Kissell.

Make it happen!
Old 03-26-2008, 11:40 PM

Letter is not enough...

DF, "starting out with a letter..." is not enough. Request a meeting to discuss the WS matter. Here is why: TK will respond to your letter. But, sitting in his office he will be more frank and will discuss details that he would never communicate to you via phone and certainly not via the mail.

I have spoken to Ted on occasion; and like most people he is much more open and frank in a face-to-face setting. He has told me things prefaced by remarks along the lines, "this is not yet official so I expect you to keep this in confidence..." etc. I'm not talking about deep, dark secrets, just things that he is willing to get into in a one-on-one setting that he will request that you do not discuss with others.

Then, being a person of integrity, you do not go immediately to UDPride and tell everyone else. Rather, personally, you have a better understanding of things from TK's perspective. That's why a meeting in person should be requested in your letter.

I think TK will convince you easily that UD's deal with the City/Board of Ed is a very good arrangement for the University. And, he may explain that the UD name and logo will be prominent on game days. If he does not, that is your opportunity to explain that many Flyer supporters such as yourself feel that it's important for WS to be the face of UD on game days;....and that there has to be a way to make that happen to everyone's satisfaction.

UD's Master Plan has illustrations of Stewart st. adorned with UD banners. Stewart will become a major gateway to the University as the NCR land is developed, bridging the main campus and the Sports Complex. If so, on game days it's easy to envision UD banners on the light poles from Brown, along Stewart and over a new bridge, along Edwin Moses and right up to the front of WS. Many such variations are possible. If TK can be convinced that relatively simple things like that will create an atmosphere that helps ignite interest in Flyer football, he'll make it happen. He doesn't want it to look as if UD plays in a high school stadium any more than you do.

Having said that, as a practical matter, most fans could care less. What matters to the 4000-5000 people that attend UD games is good parking, comfortable seating, good rest rooms and concessions, inexpesnive tickets and reasonably priced food, etc.,....and a good football team. An entertaining day at WS results from the entire experience. UD logos would be nice; but they are definitely of secondary importance compared to the things I have mentioned, all of which will be greatly improved by the few million that will be spent to improve WS. Hopefully, attendance will increase at an improved facility.

And, I stand by my earlier comment that when all is done WS will be one of the very best facilities in all of non-schollie FCS football, not just the PFL. Very few NS FCS stadiums have a capacity over 10,000. Many are multi-purpose venues. As Chris pointed out, Drake's facility is for the nationally known Drake Relays, and happens to be used for football as well. Other schools use their fields for soccer and football. UD has dedicated facilities for its sports and is fortunate to have access to a very good facility like WS, essentially integrated withing its Sports Complex, with much of the expense shouldered by others. That money saved is available for football operations. That's what we want...right?
Old 06-12-2008, 04:55 PM
Lieutenant General

Eyes on the ground?

http://daytonflyers.cstv.com/sports/...032608aab.html

OK, it is now "June 2008". Can anyone in Dayton confirm if the renovations are underway? A couple of photographs would be nice if someone was so inclined....
Old 06-12-2008, 10:20 PM
1st Lieutenant

comebackkids0708 is a jewel in the roughcomebackkids0708 is a jewel in the roughcomebackkids0708 is a jewel in the rough
Ok I've "heard" they will begin June 23rd. Atleast that is when the new turf will start to be put in. I'm guessing the other renovations will be begin the same date if not shortly after.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:56 PM

ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Went past Welcome this evening. No construction yet. Stewart Street bridge closes for 18 months on June 23rd.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:10 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,687 Times in 927 Posts
bobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond repute
A bit earlier in this thread someone mentioned Valpo's football stadium and the implication was clearly that we should have something like that of our own.

I was last at a UD v. Valpo game in Valparaiso maybe five years ago, and unless they have done a massive improvement to their field since then, I can't see why anyone would want us to have a facility like that. Not to be unkind, but it was a High School facility -- and a small town one at that -- all the way. It seated only 2-3K, maybe 4K tops. And the seats were mainly wooden bleachers. It had one set of rest rooms and one concession stand with one long line that served everyone. The press box was tiny.

Why would we want that? Welcome, even in its pre-restoration state, was much, much better.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:19 PM
Lieutenant General

bobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond repute
I found a link to the Valpo facility. It says capacity is 5K and the one picture they do show is small, but it would seem to indicate that they have done some work on the place since I was there (the press box certainly looks nicer and bigger). Still, I wouldn't take that place over Welcome no matter what.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/brownfield.php

Last edited by bobber; 06-14-2008 at 07:22 PM..
Old 06-14-2008, 07:47 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud69 View Post
Went past Welcome this evening. No construction yet. Stewart Street bridge closes for 18 months on June 23rd.
That sign is actually a little comical, eighteen months to build a bridge over the Miami River Just imaging how many years it will take to replace the I75 Bridge over the Ohio River, 10-12?
Old 06-15-2008, 01:06 PM
Colonel

Thumbs up Turf Time

The summer schedule (hs track & all-star football) for Welcome stadium ends on June 22nd according to the AD's office. Staff knows that the field replacement will start anytime after that which concurs with the March press release that work would begin the end of June.

Beyond the field turf, I have not been able to find out anything else. Nobody I've talked to knows anything other than the turf time and I struck out in reaching AD, Jonas Smith, in three calls to his Welcome office.

Field turf for the upcoming two years is my main concern. The cash from Kettering must be available; you guys can concern yourself with the "state tax money" for the brick columns/walls at two entrances and any press box improvements for more than likely, future seasons. Sorry that you won't like the message on the new turf because of the absence of any private university name or logo or color. There just won't be any room in the very, very busy end zones as you'll see. Besides, if one favors separatation of public government influence on a private university, the reverse is on display here. So will the name of the donor.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:35 PM
Lieutenant General

Valpo....

Originally Posted by bobber View Post
A bit earlier in this thread someone mentioned Valpo's football stadium and the implication was clearly that we should have something like that of our own.

I was last at a UD v. Valpo game in Valparaiso maybe five years ago, and unless they have done a massive improvement to their field since then, I can't see why anyone would want us to have a facility like that. Not to be unkind, but it was a High School facility -- and a small town one at that -- all the way. It seated only 2-3K, maybe 4K tops. And the seats were mainly wooden bleachers. It had one set of rest rooms and one concession stand with one long line that served everyone. The press box was tiny.

Why would we want that? Welcome, even in its pre-restoration state, was much, much better.
Valpo is in the process of installing field turf, a new track, a new scoreboard, and possibly some other improvements, all in their on campus stadium. It is part of their overall effort to upgrade their athletic facilities. A program called FITT or something like that. Once they have completed the stadium renovations, they should have a very nice facility. Guess what? They did not have to rely on the Valparaiso Public School System to pay for their football stadium.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:02 PM
Lieutenant General

Well, next time UD plays at Valpo most of you will have a chance to see their field. Judge for yourselves.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:30 AM
Lieutenant General

A bit more on Valpo

http://www.valpoathletics.com/news/f...ieldBegins.php

February 15, 2008 marked the beginning of a new era in Valparaiso football as work began on a $2.6 million renovation of Brown Field.

“This is a tremendous step forward not only for football, but for the entire athletics and recreation programs” stated Athletics Director Mark LaBarbera.

The project, part of the F.I.T.T. (Football, Intramurals, Tennis, and Track) initiative, includes the installation of a synthetic turf field configured for both football and soccer, a new scoreboard with video message board, and renovations of the existing seating to bring it into compliance with current ADA guidelines.

“We are very excited to know we will have a new field surface to play on this season,” said head football coach Stacy Adams.

Funding has been set aside for the future installation of field lighting. The work is scheduled to be completed by August 4th. The facility has been designed to accommodate the future inclusion of an eight lane running track.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:25 PM

Some Perspective

Guys,.....we all welcome the improvements to Welcome Stadium. They will make a good facility even better.

With a capacity of about 11,000, excellent access and parking, all WS needed to make it one of the very best FCS stadiums in the country is a new field surface and improvements to lockers, press accomodations, rest rooms and concessions. All will be in place by September.

Put yourself in the position of the visting AD, coach and players. What's important to them? In no special order: an accessible airport; good, affordable nearby hotels; good locker facilities and a good playing surface,....not whether the UD logo is at mid-field.

What is important to the media? Good, modern press facilities,...not whether a Flyers logo is in the end zones.

What is important to the fans? Easy access, good, affordable parking, affordable game TX, good rest rooms and concessions and seating that is in good condition, as well as a generally nice ambiance.

Now as I understand it, the monies having been spent and yet to be spent by September will address each and every one of the items mentioned above. There will no significant shortcomings in either the teams or fans WS experience. Is that correct, or not?

Assuming my understanding of the situation is correct, there will be very few FCS stadiums in the country that are better than WS.

As Bill O'Reily would say, "tell me where I'm wrong". No doubt, DF will do just that.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:50 PM
General of the Air Force

UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
It's college football for crying out loud. If UD were part of the Dayton Public School league I could understand them not having their logo at midfield. How many college teams do not have their logo at midfield and are advertising the city School system when broadcast on TV, especially one of the best FCS stadiums in the country?

There is no question that the turf is the biggest priority because of the player safety, but I would trade an update to the concession area for a UD logo
Old 06-17-2008, 10:27 AM
Lieutenant General

Visit Other PFL Schools

Guys,.....we all welcome the improvements to Welcome Stadium. They will make a good facility even better.

With a capacity of about 11,000, excellent access and parking, all WS needed to make it one of the very best FCS stadiums in the country is a new field surface and improvements to lockers, press accomodations, rest rooms and concessions. All will be in place by September.

Put yourself in the position of the visting AD, coach and players. What's important to them? In no special order: an accessible airport; good, affordable nearby hotels; good locker facilities and a good playing surface,....not whether the UD logo is at mid-field.

What is important to the media? Good, modern press facilities,...not whether a Flyers logo is in the end zones.

What is important to the fans? Easy access, good, affordable parking, affordable game TX, good rest rooms and concessions and seating that is in good condition, as well as a generally nice ambiance.

Now as I understand it, the monies having been spent and yet to be spent by September will address each and every one of the items mentioned above. There will no significant shortcomings in either the teams or fans WS experience. Is that correct, or not?

Assuming my understanding of the situation is correct, there will be very few FCS stadiums in the country that are better than WS.

As Bill O'Reily would say, "tell me where I'm wrong". No doubt, DF will do just that.

in order to gain some perspective.... I have not been to every PFL school yet, but I have been to Drake, San Diego, Jacksonville, and Valparaiso. Of those schools, Drake has by far the best facility. San Diego's field is about perfect for their campus and is very nice. Valpo was a great place to see a game. The visitors seats are almost on the team bench. I'm afraid that will change when the track is installed. Still, Valpo's stadium is on campus and with the improvements will be a top PFL facility. I have seen pictures of MSU and Davidson. Both appear to be very nice on campus facilities that fit their schools extremely well. Even the Butler Bowl has been renovated to make it the right size for the current program. I have not been there, but reports are that the renovations are very nice. Campbell will have a brand new facility. Only Jacksonville is significantly sub-par. I honestly do not know how they sign a recruit if the kid has seen their "field". I hear, however, that they are raising money to build a real stadium. In EVERY case, the stadium is owned by the school, contains school logos, and is a source of PRIDE, not a source of embarassment.

Welcome Stadium, (IMHO), can best be described as a Honda Accord or a Toyota Camry. Functional and reliable? Yes. Something to proud of as the owner of a BMW might be? No! Welcome Stadium would be right at home over at Wright State. It is out of place at UD in virtually every way possible. It is simply a place we rent to play football games in because there is not a better option. UD has spent a fortune to overcome what I would call the sterile, public building look of the Engineering building so that it would fit into campus better with the other buildings....

Simply put, we deserve better!
Old 06-17-2008, 05:10 PM

Let's Get Real...

It's one thing to be a passionate supporter of Flyer football;....it's another to be blind to reality.

DF's comments re other PFL stadiums are, I believe, misleading. When the renovations are complete I seriously doubt that even one other PFL stadium will have media, concession and rest room facilites, parking and seating, as good as WS. And no one will have a better field surface.

Add to that capacity. Most PFL stadiums have a seating capacity less, much less, that WS's 11,000.

As for college teams playing on fields without their logos, many FBS teams play in pro stadiums featuring the pro teams logos at mid-field and in the end zones.

Our games are not televised; who sees or cares what the field logos are so long as evrything else is top notch?

And, WS is essentially part of our wonderfull Sports Complex. It IS a campus stadium. On game days TK can make WS look any way he wants it to look with flags, banners, signs etc.

Reversing the saying, "making lemonade when your given lemons";....many are doing just the opposite, i.e., "making lemons when given lemonade". The renovated WS will be terrific. If he's honest and objective, and I believe is, when DF attends his first game at the renovated WS I'm betting he'll agree with me.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:25 PM
Colonel

Originally Posted by UDBrian View Post
That sign is actually a little comical, eighteen months to build a bridge over the Miami River Just imaging how many years it will take to replace the I75 Bridge over the Ohio River, 10-12?
In Minneapolis they thought 'outside the box' and new I-35 bridge will open 13 months after the original one fell. For that little river across from Welcome Stadium, why not get a Sea-Bees or Corps of Engineers temp bridge? I can just see the excuses for being late to August practice; "Coach, there was an accident on the interstate".
Old 06-23-2008, 01:02 PM
Colonel

Thumbs up It's time for 69

O.K. UD69 or any others who can C.I.O. (check it out)!

It's June 23rd, the bridge closes and Welcome Stadiums spring event dates are over. The stadium updates can begin. So maybe late suppers or early departs from work, anything you can do to bring us the daily story. And don't forget that digital camera. Just email a shot to founder,editor and all-around good guy ChrisR and he'll post the photo (that is, if you can't do it yourself like me).

The Motz Group will be putting in the new turf. Should be easy since they just have to remove Astro turf not grass. Maybe you want a handfull of Astro Turf for framing - like the OSU grass sod I've seen framed in offices. Then again, you should consider one of the numeral shapes they will cut from the green field turf where they will glue down the white yard numbers. Take your number home and glue it on the side of your driveway or patio. It not only is a conversation piece but a great shoe scrapper.

Then please give us the first word about any other work. For instance, that two-tier $400,000 press box. Or maybe the footers for the brick columns and curved brick header at an entrance to add shape to a flat fronted stadium and take your eye away from that huge metal framed light tower dead center of the entrances. The second funding - $1.6 million from the State- was supposed to be available this month according to the DDN's March 25th story. There is some bureaucracy involved and scheduled plans are tough to pin down. The DDN will be on this story weekly but YOU can be on it DAILY!

O.K. 69er, you da man, it's all yours! :frog:
Old 06-23-2008, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Flyer Gramps View Post
O.K. UD69 or any others who can C.I.O. (check it out)!

O.K. 69er, you da man, it's all yours.

I haven't had this much pressure since I was at the line and down 1 with 3 seconds left in my 6th grade CYO game.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:21 PM

I'm with Gramps....

I'm with Flyer Gramps in appealing to those that drive by Welcome regularly or are close by and can drop by without going far out of your way......please keep the rest of us up to date.

In fact, I suggest a new thread titled something like: "Welcome Stadium Renovation UpDate". Progress should be humming right along since the work is to be completed in just about two months.

Many thanks in advance.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:59 PM
Colonel

Cool 69er won't let us down

I'm with Flyer Gramps in appealing to those that drive by Welcome regularly or are close by and can drop by without going far out of your way......please keep the rest of us up to date.

In fact, I suggest a new thread titled something like: "Welcome Stadium Renovation UpDate". Progress should be humming right along since the work is to be completed in just about two months.

Many thanks in advance.
Close by heck, this is important even for more distant reporters who might need to swing a loan for fuel to get over there! :frog:

I was told by a receptionist in the AD's office that they didn't want to start while events were scheduled which apparently ended last weekend. The next event is a high school football game in the third week of August. If, and I say if because we've been disappointed before, if they start the press box and the brick structures they will just have to live with construction issues because we all know that contractors seldom meet their time schedule. The field turf is definitely a go, everything else is an "if".

Will we have morning or evening reports
Old 06-24-2008, 12:52 PM
General of the Air Force

If someone stops at the stadium can you even get inside? I am assuming that the only possibility would be during work hours, would they actually let you take pictures?
Old 06-24-2008, 02:47 PM
Lieutenant General

Well....

The family is driving from Detroit to Huntsville, AL this weekend.... Seems to me we just might be going by the Welcome Stadium exit on I-75 around 4:00 PM or 5:00 PM or so on Friday evening, (6/27/08). Maybe, I will have to stop for gas about then and take a quick look for myself.... If I get the chance, I'll take a quick look around on Friday evening and report back.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:45 PM
Colonel

Friday photo opp

The family is driving from Detroit to Huntsville, AL this weekend.... Seems to me we just might be going by the Welcome Stadium exit on I-75 around 4:00 PM or 5:00 PM or so on Friday evening, (6/27/08). Maybe, I will have to stop for gas about then and take a quick look for myself.... If I get the chance, I'll take a quick look around on Friday evening and report back.
Put a ladder on your car top carrier or take a long rope and tie it to an old, worn Bridgestone tire, throw the tire over the wall and climb up for your photo opp.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:55 PM
Colonel

June 30th

Somewhere in the several news stories I read back in March about the Welcome Stadium improvements it was said that the new turf work would start on June 30th.

Well today is June 30th!
Old 06-30-2008, 02:35 PM
Lieutenant General

Work is underway!!

I was able to stop briefly on Friday afternoon on my way to Alabama. By the way, it is a long drive from Detroit to Huntsville, AL!!!! Not much to see yet, nothing on the outside at all, but they were beginning the removal of the old green parking lot, I mean astroturf....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg STP60294.JPG (55.0 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg STP60295.JPG (56.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg STP60296.JPG (51.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg STP60297.JPG (51.8 KB, 23 views)
Old 06-30-2008, 04:49 PM
Colonel

First confirmation of activity

Thanks Michigander for the photos you took at Welcome. You have understanding family just to make the stop and your photography is very good not to mention getting it onto this site.

Just think, all that turf just tossed into the trash container when it could be framed for sale to old footballers who played on it!

That 650 mile hike to Huntsville is longer than I can do in a day now. And the $200 worth of gas is more than I want to spend today!
Old 06-30-2008, 06:43 PM

Thanks DF....

Ditto Gramps' remarks; indeed, you must have a tolerant, understanding spouse.

Perhaps you'll have the chance for another look at WS during the Summer, most likely not. But, when you attend your first game in the Fall I'm counting on you for an honest appraisal of the "new" facility and its new look, even though a Flyer logo will not be on the field.

As I understand it, by Sept WS will have a new surface, a new press box, refurbished rest rooms and concessions, aesthetic improvements and improved seating, some with seat backs. It should be a very nice complement to our wonderful Sports Complex, with someone else footing the bill. How can you beat that?

_______

Speaking of football, I just thought of something that will give some of you a chuckle. When coach Bud Kerr arrived at UD from ND in `56 he did a wierd thing;...he change UD's colors from red and blue to ND's colors, Navy and gold. Yep, the Flyers were outfitted in Blue and Gold during the Kerr era. At a game in `56 my wife-to-be traveled to Dayton for a weekend, incl a football game. I'm pretty sure it was Homecoming weekend in `56 and the Flyer's opponent was Louisvile, outfitted, of course in their red and white uniforms. My "girlfriend" knew Dayton's colors were red and blue, in fact I sent her a UD sweat shirt with red lettering.

Well after halftime she made a remark clearly revealing that up to that point she thought the Cards, wearing red, were the Flyers! Dayton's colors are red, right!, she exclaimed. What could I say?

To this day my spouse knows very little about football, although she dutifully accompanies me on Fall weekends to watch the UConn Huskies. It's the outing that she enjoys,...adding, "the games would be so much better if they ended at the half".
Old 07-03-2008, 02:46 PM
Colonel

Thumbs up Weekly update

Originally Posted by ud69 View Post
Originally Posted by comebackkids0708 View Post
Ok I've "heard" they will begin June 23rd. Atleast that is when the new turf will start to be put in. I'm guessing the other renovations will be begin the same date if not shortly after.

O.K. guys, what has happened this week at Welcome?

Old 07-03-2008, 10:42 PM

Drive By Report

O.K. guys, what has happened this week at Welcome?

Drove by Welcome this evening. No visible construction yet. Looks like the old carpet removal is complete - as was shown in DF's pics. The new carpet appeared to be on the sidelines in big rolls covered in plastic. Not much else to see.

One further note. I was passing by on Edwin C and went past the Stewart Street bridge. The contractor is waiting for 24 hours of dry weather to blow the piers and drop the bridge into the river. The entire road decking of the bridge has been removed - leaving only the piers and connecting supports and arches. There is an exceptional amount of heavy duty construction equipment on site. Although they have only been at it for 2 weeks, and they must work around any high river crests, progress seems rapid - especially when compared to some of the other bridges in downtown that have been or are being replaced. It would not surprise me if they complete the job earlier than the scheduled date of December 1, 2009.

Last edited by ud69; 07-04-2008 at 02:08 PM..
Old 07-04-2008, 11:24 AM

Thanks UD69

....that's just the type of report that keeps those of us far away up to date.

Thanks.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:44 PM
Colonel

Hey 69er

....that's just the type of report that keeps those of us far away up to date.

Thanks.
Roger from me too!
Old 07-05-2008, 11:26 AM

Bridge is Blown

They dropped the bridge this morning.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/p/con...608bridge.html
Old 07-09-2008, 08:36 AM

Turf Getting Installed

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...spwelcome.html
Old 07-09-2008, 10:21 AM
Colonel

Turf -n- flags

Thanks UD69, we need your local "eyes" because articles like this don't show on the DDN site for UD Sports news. Sometimes photos are not available on the internet for these stories. I found a link that shows five more photos than the article included.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/p/con...lcometurf.html

The turf is really great news and that Kettering money got it started quickly. Notice how Mark Govkavi who wrote the article can't include any more schedule of construction activities. There may not be a single person who can say, "this is the schedule". Apparently the press box will not be started until after this season's football tournaments are finished. I'm assuming they want the press box ready for spring 2009 track season.

Guess the bad news, if a Flyer fan wants to read into this story, is that we'll look at flags of all the Dayton High Schools flying around the stadium. This is an area I wrote about before; UD bringing in "decorations" for their games to give a bit more collegiate atmosphere to the City's Public School facility. You can't blame the school system for promoting its schools, but there are other things needed doing on our part.

69'r, keep us alerted for anything new at Welcome!
Old 07-09-2008, 03:57 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,355 Times in 586 Posts
College B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute
I wonder how badly the student attndance for football games will suffer this year as a result of the stewart street bridge demolition? I know that the students could be more supportive---but I can see even more staying home this year when they can't walk across the bridge for the games. Has the University tried to adress this at all? Go flyers
Old 07-09-2008, 04:28 PM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Boy, does that bring back memories seeing the bridge blown up.

No, not the bridge, the polluted Miami River we used to boat in!!! Folks downstream will hardly notice the muddy water from the explosion.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:28 PM
Colonel

Bridge or no bridge

Originally Posted by College B-Ball Fan View Post
I wonder how badly the student attndance for football games will suffer this year as a result of the stewart street bridge demolition? I know that the students could be more supportive---but I can see even more staying home this year when they can't walk across the bridge for the games. Has the University tried to adress this at all? Go flyers
Bridge or no bridge, there sure are a lot on campus who have no interest in attending a football game. Think about those universities where the stadium is across town or out in the country. For some, it has to be "the thing to do" or they'll just not be part of it regardless of the distance to get there.

Aside: Wasn't it amazing how many got to a basketball game in the snow...er, a lot of snow!
Old 07-11-2008, 11:40 AM
Brigadier General

Guess the bad news, if a Flyer fan wants to read into this story, is that we'll look at flags of all the Dayton High Schools flying around the stadium. This is an area I wrote about before; UD bringing in "decorations" for their games to give a bit more collegiate atmosphere to the City's Public School facility. You can't blame the school system for promoting its schools, but there are other things needed doing on our part.
In every year since the inception of the PFL, the University has brought and flown pennants over the stadium with the names and colors of the member schools. In some years, they even had ones with PFL logo on them.

Now, what I think you are suggesting (and I may be wrong here) is the approach of using banners and posters at field level with UD athletics logos on them. You'd think that would be an easy enough thing to do. Ever thought of proposing the idea to TK (perhaps through Hauschild)? I wouldn't want to be accused of stealing your idea, Gramps.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:42 PM

TK and Doug

Don't underestimate Ted and Doug. These are the guys that made the decisions re the Arena, Frericks and Baujan graphics. When UD football begins I will be amazed if we don't see an "enhanced" UD and PFL presence at WS. There will be flags, banners, signs, whatever that DF can tell us about.

When CBS or ESPN does a game they hang very conspicuous banners somewhere that they are sure to be seen,....e.g., often over the seating area wall near field level. There is always a place that provides good sight lines for TV and the fans. In the case of WS its the atmosphere for fans that is of interest.

Bottom line: I think on game day WS will have the atmosphere of a college stadium.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:40 PM
Colonel

Smile A banner, a banner, my kingdom for a UD banner

OMG Chef!!! I forgot about those flags so I checked my photo archives and sure enough, you're correct, flags atop both grandstands. Of course I mainly look at the visitor side and only see four.

Those flags got lost in my memory, maybe never even entered there. Kinda like spacing 8 model airplanes along the edge of an aircraft carrier. I use that analogy because Welcome Stadium in my mind conjures up all those gray walls - across the front of the seating area and encircling both end zones. A uni-color place albeit a different color than a really terrible stadium named Fenway Park (sorry UAC). And then I see all that chain link fence on the far corner behind which are parked some vans probably belonging to the school board. All of the gray walls and fence just cry out for signage. Are there no frats that see worth in the effort? No competition and prize for the best sign each home game? I bet 50 years ago at Bajuan there were signs! Maybe even skits. How about football floats instead of homecoming floats. Decorated vehicles? Has Title IX dulled the womens interest in spirit support for the boys game?

The new brick columns at the two entrances will draw my eye away from the humongous light towers right in the center of the entrance. Don't get me wrong, they are much better than wood telegraph poles inside the track area in my days. But these towers too cry out for banners; even a "welcome" banner for the visitor. Nothing like a positive point upon entering.

Think about this, outside of looking at the players on the field and your girlfriend/wife at your side, what do you look at next often at the game?

The scoreboard of course; it has a nice space below it and screams for a UD banner.

Guys, I'm not a benefactor for this institution, you are. And it is up to you guys; go ahead, say it's your suggestion. I'm just shootin away here as a complete stranger who has been drawn to your university for a few years but who was underwhelmed so far at some aspects of my UD football experience. Heck, some of the banners could be used at spring sports venues too. Sorry that my liberal arts education gets in the way, but my occupations always required a number of hats be worn and this forum is so much fun...God Love ya'all!
Old 07-11-2008, 04:49 PM
Lieutenant General

Flags....

You hit the nail on the head.... I would be willing to bet that if you surveyed fans before a game, most would not know those flags are flying. The only other references to UD are on the silly pop-up advertisment things on the sidelines.... I'm just not certain what UD could do to give that sterile place a college, game day feel.... I felt it at Drake, at USD, at Valparaiso.... Not so much at Jacksonville, that felt more like Pop-Warner and I'm not kidding! Very hard to generate a UD feel when the whole place is plastered with Kettering Medical Center, Welcome Stadium and DPS. About the only thing that even comes close to saying "We are UD" is the arena next door! Being a public project, I'm betting it will be years before any of the outside work gets done, and that assumes that the funding does not dry up before it is completed. I am pleased that our boys get to play on a safe, new surface, but I'm really having a hard time being optimistic about any other changes at the Sterile Stadium, I mean Welcome Stadium.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:42 PM

It's up to TK...

Guys, creating the atmosphere we're looking for as is easy as falling off a log. If TK is interested in doing it, and wants to do it, it will get done.

I went to grad school at Northwestern, located in Evanston IL just north of Chicago. Evanston has a nice downtown with two main thoroughfares, as I recall. On the weekend of an NU home game the lamp posts on the main drags in town featured brightly colored flags of the Big Ten schools. You know, just as they put American flags on the lamp posts for Memorial Day and July 4,....from Fri PM until Mon AM on home game weekends downtown Evanston became a Big Ten football town. It was really quite festive. I have no idea if Evanston still does that; but I thought it was really neat.

Of course, that sort of thing requires a little cooperation from the Town. But, it was no big deal to do. All the flags could be put up in about two hours, I'm guessing. No more effort than putting up the American flags on national holidays.

OK, so imagine Stewart Street, ....the connector between UD's main campus and the Sports Complex, and the main thoroughfare through our new Campus West,...with PFL team and/or UD flags (or both) on lamposts lining both sides of the street going right over the jazzy new bridge and along Edwin Moses,....or something like that. You get the idea.

Welcome Stadium and surrounding environs on a football weekend can become just about anything the UD athletic administration wants it to be. Minimal cooperation from the City is required. I have never been to South Bend for an ND game; but, I know people that have been. I've been told that a fan highlight on game day is the ND band marching through campus on their way to the stadium. I can envision the UD band assembling somewhere, perhaps near the old PAC, and marching along Stewart over the new bridge to WS on game days, weather permitting. If that's a bit too far the marching distance can be tailored to be suitable.

Many schools have fan-oriented traditions that have endured and have great appeal. We can do just about anything we want. The operative word being "want". If TK thinks something is a good idea and worth the effort, it gets done. It ain't rocket science!
Old 07-11-2008, 07:36 PM
General of the Air Force

FlyerGramps, nice suggestions that wouldn't cost a lot of money to implement.
Old 07-12-2008, 07:50 PM
Academy Doolie

John the Bomb is on a distinguished road
John the Bomb

I think it's great that Welcome Stadium is getting a good upgrade and the fact that UD doesn't have to pay for it is a big plus. Now I agree that it should have UD in it or the Welcome Stadium words above Kettering Health Networks Field in the endzones should be red, NOT YELLOW with the blue background because UD's colors are red and blue. That's the only thing that irritates me about it.

Last edited by John the Bomb; 07-12-2008 at 07:53 PM..
Old 07-12-2008, 10:20 PM
Colonel

Originally Posted by John the Bomb View Post
I think it's great that Welcome Stadium is getting a good upgrade and the fact that UD doesn't have to pay for it is a big plus. Now I agree that it should have UD in it or the Welcome Stadium words above Kettering Health Networks Field in the endzones should be red, NOT YELLOW with the blue background because UD's colors are red and blue. That's the only thing that irritates me about it.
That's the point John, the colors are what they are because they are not UD colors. We have a public owned facility that will use it's colors and avoid anything close to colors of a private Catholic institution. UD rents a stadium to play football and it is what the public elected board wants it to look like, but especially not what the private school would want. This disconnects the public from the private in a visual way.

It is up to UD to bring in temporary decorations to enhance the event. This happens before every University of Minnesota football game in the Metro Dome when pro baseball & football and the Vikings disappear in favor of the Golden Gophers. Expensive to change the turf in the end zones and in the field's center besides covering the dirt baseball base areas and lowering the pitchers mound but it gets done along with goal posts and signage around the walls of the dome. UD can't change end zones or center field but it sure has many other options in addition to 8 flags or whatever.
Old 07-13-2008, 04:02 PM
Academy Doolie

John the Bomb

You're right, Flyer Gramps. That is the point(that we can't get our identity in the stadium). We need(like you said) flags and the name of University of Dayton put along walls and whereever else we can get them since Kettering Health Networks bought the rights to the name of the field. Having the nine teams in the PFL symbolized by flags would be a good start and getting our school image(like colors and name) whereever we can without it interfering with the Dayton Public Schools and Kettering Health Networks would be MUCH better than nothing.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:25 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,082 Times in 469 Posts
Piqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant future
July 16 update

Stopped by WS during lunch.
Yes, endzones bright Dodger blue
WELCOME STADIUM in 12 foot tall yellow, trimmed in white, letters. With blue background - Go Michigan!
Kettering Health Care Network Field, 3 foot tall white letters below WS stretching from side to side across the endzone.(kinda reminds me of the alphabet letters stretched across the top of the blackboard in my 1950's elem. school classroom! - except there were only 26!).
Yellow line from side to side on 11 (or was it the 9?) yard line. Installers said that is part of the soccer field marking configuration.

Will hold final judgement until comnplete.

From outside, no sign of any work being done for upgrade.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:28 PM
Colonel

Thanks Piq for the update.

Endzones just like the early drawings. I figuired the end zones to be every, very busy with letters. Suspect some people may say it's a bit much! It's owners choice on the colors. Remember, I don't expect UD to bring in yellow or blue signs anymore than the school board to use the color red. It is what it is - public & private helpful to a point but separate.

Apparently nothing at midfield yet. Expect a blue w/white trim DPS logo.

If nothing else is done, at least an important part has been accomplished for 2008.

Wish they could do the press box next.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:30 PM
Lieutenant General

To me this feels like....

Originally Posted by Piqua Flyer '66 View Post
Stopped by WS during lunch.
Yes, endzones bright Dodger blue
WELCOME STADIUM in 12 foot tall yellow, trimmed in white, letters. With blue background - Go Michigan!
Kettering Health Care Network Field, 3 foot tall white letters below WS stretching from side to side across the endzone.(kinda reminds me of the alphabet letters stretched across the top of the blackboard in my 1950's elem. school classroom! - except there were only 26!).
Yellow line from side to side on 11 (or was it the 9?) yard line. Installers said that is part of the soccer field marking configuration.

Will hold final judgement until comnplete.

From outside, no sign of any work being done for upgrade.

getting a cap on a molar. Sure the tooth is saved, you can chew without worry, and you are a bit healthier, but in the end it is not all that exciting. It is still just a tooth....
Old 07-16-2008, 02:44 PM
Colonel

Piqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant future
UD $$$$$

I assume UD has some financial support/involvement in this project.
Answer is probably in one of the many replies above.
If so, I think UD should be recognized on the field in some manner.
If, not, I understand that UD has no presence in the layout art.

Took a look at the turf.....each stran is 3-4 inches long....looks like plastic.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:10 PM
Lieutenant General

Not much if any....

I assume UD has some financial support/involvement in this project.
Answer is probably in one of the many replies above.
If so, I think UD should be recognized on the field in some manner.
If, not, I understand that UD has no presence in the layout art.

Took a look at the turf.....each stran is 3-4 inches long....looks like plastic.
UD money is directly involved. We rent Welcome Stadium to play our football games.... I guess we might get a bit of a discount for rent as we are reported to provide preferential rent to the DPS for use of UD Arena. I understand that the DPS does not wish to promote our university in their stadium.... Still, if Kettering Health Care figured out a way to get their name plastered all over the place, one would think that UD could have as well, IF WE WANTED TO....

Feeling more and more like that capped tooth every time I think about this....
Old 07-16-2008, 04:28 PM
Colonel

As I indicated.....

I am not sure how much $$$$ we have in WC or this project.
If all we do is pay rent then I don't think we have a leg to stand on regarding field markings.......if that was the case the the OHSAA would/should have their emblem on the field as a renter. If we have $$$$$ in the remodeling then we should have our name visible.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:46 PM
Academy Doolie

John the Bomb

I guess you're right in that since UD only rents it, we can't get much of a say in having our name(or colors) put on the field, Piqua Flyer '66. Kettering Health Network is the one paying for the new astroturf that's on it now, so they are entitled to the name of the field. Just too bad it has to yellow(rather than red) as well as blue. That gives me a feeling of a new cap being put on my molar, too, Detroit Flyer. But it is what it is and at least we get to play on it. Like I said before, it would be nice to have some identity with UD by at least putting 10 flags up(five on each side) for the 9 schools in the PFL now and the 10th could be for the PFL in general(with it's logo, for instance). That's just how I feel.

Last edited by John the Bomb; 07-16-2008 at 04:51 PM..
Old 07-22-2008, 01:29 PM
Colonel

July 22, Noon

Endzone art week complete.
Mid field has a 20 yard outlined circle, ready for artwork
No clue what will be in this 20 yard circle.
Have to say the playing field has "come alive".

Outside on west side temporary fencing is in place as if some construction will soon be taking place.

Thought - at each end of WS there are the curved (concave) walls.
Why not some neat DAYTON FLYERS/FOOTBALL art work on removable tarps (12' high wall) that could be used for UD home games.

Between the track and the new installed playing field nothing has replaced the old turf. Wonder what type surface will be placed in this sideline area? Looks as though it will not be similar to the playing surface.

Later...
Old 07-22-2008, 08:38 PM
Colonel

Thanks Piq for another update on Welcome Stadium.

If the "west" entrance is the "home" entrance, I hope the temporary fencing is to keep people away from walking under the press box area above. I could care less about the brick-work at the entrances but the press box needs to be replaced and a work zone must be fenced off.

It would be nice if some kind of covering between the turf and the track would be rubberless - that is, none of those rubber granules where much of the first aid is dispensed. The released drawing did show that bright blue covering in the bench area but green beyond the benches. Watch for this!

The "architectural drawings" for the center of the field show that 20' circle will have very large blue w. white trim letters DAYTON
Under that in small letters ---Public Schools. It's not our color or logo of choice but at least the word Dayton replaces DPS.

We await next weeks update!
Old 07-30-2008, 04:10 PM
Colonel

July 30

Sidelines are blue from 25 to 25 yard line, rest is same green as playing field. All same type artificial surface as playing field.

20 yard circle at midfield filled with DAYTON and then PUBLIC SCHOOLC underneath

No evidence of any work started on press box

Fenced in area to west of WS shows little activity. No breaking of ground for any footer.
Other then DANIS signs now hanging on fencing - not much sign of any work.

On east side stands, entire center section, near top, about 15 rows covered up/secured with blue tarp. Not able to see what's going on there.

Don't see how west entrance/press box can be done for 8/31 vs. Central St or even 9/13 vs. Fordham.

First impressioin......playing field is really "gaudi" and Kettering, etc., name on field is hard to read, endzones are so crowded with wording. Green field with Blue/yellow/white color combo is not attractive.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:34 PM
General of the Air Force

A good camera man (or editor) can get some nice shots of the field with Dayton in the picture and public schools somehow off the camera

Piqua and FlyerGramps both have some good ideas that can be implemented

Last edited by UDBrian; 07-30-2008 at 08:36 PM..
Old 07-31-2008, 09:08 AM
Colonel

What Piqua Flyer sees

Gosh Piqua guy, you are really getting these reports in terrific descriptive format. I can visualize everything you say and this new one tells a lot. Don't forget to tell when the yard markers and hash marks are in place.

Your comment about the endzone is to be expected. I wrote this post here on June 15th: 'Sorry that you won't like the message on the new turf because of the absence of any private university name or logo or color. There just won't be any room in the very, very busy end zones as you'll see.'

What has happened here is that the end zone design was approved by an "elected school board" and "health care administrators" , both with a need. The 'board' won't give up on plastering the name "Welcome" in the end zone and of course the health boys want & should be acknowledged, albeit a long name. What we should have here is Kettering Field in Welcome Stadium. That concept was too much; can't let go of history. And the poor people were given artwork to approve that was drawn from the view of a blimp pilot, not a view of 30 degree angle above the surface and 45 degrees off center!

Your noting the signs for Danis explains a lot. This is a project by a big time operation; it is not Dayton Dan the Handyman. Danis has addresses in Dayton, Miamisburg and Cincy. They do commercial & school work. This project will be handled much like a highway rework or can you say bridge rebuild. It will not be ready for the first high school games which are about 9 days before the Flyer game (at) Central.

And your note about the the blue tarp, visitor side, top rows, center section. That sure sounds like a 2008 temporary press box to me.

Keep them updates coming Piqua, you've piq'd all our interest!
Old 07-31-2008, 09:41 AM
Lieutenant General

Internet Broadcasts

Gosh Piqua guy, you are really getting these reports in terrific descriptive format. I can visualize everything you say and this new one tells a lot. Don't forget to tell when the yard markers and hash marks are in place.

Your comment about the endzone is to be expected. I wrote this post here on June 15th: 'Sorry that you won't like the message on the new turf because of the absence of any private university name or logo or color. There just won't be any room in the very, very busy end zones as you'll see.'

What has happened here is that the end zone design was approved by an "elected school board" and "health care administrators" , both with a need. The 'board' won't give up on plastering the name "Welcome" in the end zone and of course the health boys want & should be acknowledged, albeit a long name. What we should have here is Kettering Field in Welcome Stadium. That concept was too much; can't let go of history. And the poor people were given artwork to approve that was drawn from the view of a blimp pilot, not a view of 30 degree angle above the surface and 45 degrees off center!

Your noting the signs for Danis explains a lot. This is a project by a big time operation; it is not Dayton Dan the Handyman. Danis has addresses in Dayton, Miamisburg and Cincy. They do commercial & school work. This project will be handled much like a highway rework or can you say bridge rebuild. It will not be ready for the first high school games which are about 9 days before the Flyer game (at) Central.

And your note about the the blue tarp, visitor side, top rows, center section. That sure sounds like a 2008 temporary press box to me.

Keep them updates coming Piqua, you've piq'd all our interest!
I sure would like to see them originate from the visitors side. It is just not good to see the empty visitor side on the Net for most games. A full home side would look SO MUCH BETTER on a computer screen.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:46 AM
Colonel

A new view?

I sure would like to see them originate from the visitors side. It is just not good to see the empty visitor side on the Net for most games. A full home side would look SO MUCH BETTER on a computer screen.
You may get your wish...for one season. However, the view of a temp. booth from your seat might not look great. All conjecture on my part is this construction idea. We do watch a lot of detective TV every afternoon and I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:47 PM
Just off the Jet

WHS00_UD04 is on a distinguished road
I'll hopefully be at the first game to be played there on the 21st.

Go Warriors
Go Dayton Flyers
Old 07-31-2008, 02:00 PM
Just off the Jet

WHS00_UD04 is on a distinguished road
I'm glad my high school went with Good Samaritan for their deal. They just changed the name of the field to Good Samaritan Athletic Fields at Heidkamp Stadium, with nothing permanent on the field itself.

Here is an artists rendering

This is the same thing that Premier Heath Parners has done with all of the other deals they made as well.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:41 PM
Colonel

Hash marks are down

So are the yard line numbers
You are so right, the 35-45 degree line of site angle make the endzones look cramped and very hard to read.
I don't think even Danis can have things ready on west sied for CSU and/or Fordham.

I still want removable UD FOOTBALL banners on end walls of WS.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:00 PM
Colonel

Easy read angle

Originally Posted by UDBrian View Post
A good camera man (or editor) can get some nice shots of the field with Dayton in the picture and public schools somehow off the camera

Piqua and FlyerGramps both have some good ideas that can be implemented
O.K.Brian, this is what Piqua would see from a blimp.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:05 PM
General of the Air Force

If they send the Goodyear Blimp I don't care what the logo looks like! I was actually talking about the view from the stands, but you would need to cut out half the field to eliminate the Public Schools in the picture.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:30 AM
Colonel

Monday August 4

Last week I sent an email to Ted Kissell suggesting a 12-15' UD FLYER FOOTBALL banner on the concave ends of WS. This reply from Tim Wabler today.

"Thanks for your suggestion re: the Dayton Flyers football banner. We are working with Dayton Public Schools on the potential of having UD identified particularly during UD Football games. Since the focus is getting the field in and successfully completing the renovation, these ideas will be worked through during the next few months. The renovation will continue during the season. Thanks again".

Promising!

Oh, ya'. Ted asked be to be involved in the unveiling ceremony. :>)
Old 08-04-2008, 09:02 PM
Lieutenant General

Sound Prromising....

They must be reading the board.... I stopped by Welcome today on my way to Kentucky on business. I took a few pictures that I will post on Wednesday when I get back to Detroit. There were some dirt piles and fencing on the home side.... Maybe some of the facade work has started. The field really looks new, a VERY bright green. It sure looks more player friendly than the old green parking lot. The endzones do look crowded, but the new surface is so much better that I did not mind. It reminded me of the surface at Robert Morris. I'm sure the players will appreciate it and it will certainly help recruiting. Man, I sure hope that UD and DPS can work something out....
Old 08-06-2008, 09:16 AM
Lieutenant General

August 4, 2008 Status

I stopped by briefly on my way to Kentucky on business on Monday, August 4, 2008. Attached in this and the next two posts are the photographs I took. Hard to capture the entire field without being in the stadium. I did not try to get in as my time was short, but this should at least give you a taste....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg STP60318.JPG (53.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg STP60319.JPG (55.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg STP60320.JPG (59.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg STP60321.JPG (57.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg STP60322.JPG (54.0 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by DetroitFlyer; 08-06-2008 at 09:20 AM..
Old 08-06-2008, 09:18 AM
Lieutenant General

A few more photographs from 8/4/08

Well, it will take one more post to get the last photograph in....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg STP60323.JPG (49.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg STP60324.JPG (51.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg STP60325.JPG (50.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg STP60326.JPG (49.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg STP60327.JPG (47.5 KB, 8 views)
Old 08-06-2008, 09:19 AM
Lieutenant General

Final photograph from 8-4-08

Last one I took....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg STP60328.JPG (50.8 KB, 11 views)
Old 08-06-2008, 01:12 PM
Colonel

Wednesday August 6

Not much to add to Detroit Flyer photos.
Footer being dug for west side entrance remodeling
Can't imagaine being finished for first couple games.
No action on press box
On the field one guy was driving a tractor with a dispenser applying a "coal dust" type amaterail while another followed along with a 6' wide roller broom "removing" that dust.

Any idea what they were doing? No one for me to ask.

A lot of the "coal dust" still outside WS, so I guess there will be several more applications.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:51 PM

On the field one guy was driving a tractor with a dispenser applying a "coal dust" type amaterail while another followed along with a 6' wide roller broom "removing" that dust.

Any idea what they were doing? No one for me to ask.

A lot of the "coal dust" still outside WS, so I guess there will be several more applications.
After the turf is down they fill it in with black rubber pellets - almost like sand.

Here's the process.
http://www.themotzgroup.com/247/247_proc.php
Old 08-06-2008, 03:14 PM
Lieutenant General

Infill Process....

Kind of interesting that is goes down after the turf is in place.... I guess that it fills in around the "blades" of grass and acts a bit like dirt? I wonder if this is something that needs to be done every now and then to keep the field from getting too hard like the old astroturf. On these types of fields, you can certainly see the "dust" kick up after a tackle, again kind of like real dirt. This should be a huge bonus for our players.

On a side note, while I was taking pictures, it sure seems to me like the endzone walls on both sides sure looked shabby. Were they painted as part of phase 1? If so, the job did not hold up at all.... I'm thinking that the outside walls were not painted....

Oh well, it will be interesting to see when I head back on August 31 for the CSU game.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:19 PM
Colonel

A grain of rubber

Watching the Hall of Fame Game on Sunday there were a number of times that the pros threw up waves of rubber dust when they stopped or cut. On another forum, a father wrote that his high school daughter removes her shoes, socks and soccer uni in the garage before coming in the house because of those rubber beads. They also must be cleaned from washing machines. BTW, regular cleats are worn.

The infill needs to be raked on occassion, depends on usage. Don't know if a little top dressing is to be added after a few years but some does "leave the park" for sure.

" lot of the "coal dust" still outside WS, so I guess there will be several more applications"...Either Piqua is from PA or WV or he is pulling our chain. Us guys from near Akron or familiar with Bridgestone/Firestone know that something black is rubber.