Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 01-12-2022, 12:40 PM
1st Lieutenant

O Doyle Rules has much to be proud ofO Doyle Rules has much to be proud ofO Doyle Rules has much to be proud ofO Doyle Rules has much to be proud ofO Doyle Rules has much to be proud ofO Doyle Rules has much to be proud ofO Doyle Rules has much to be proud ofO Doyle Rules has much to be proud ofO Doyle Rules has much to be proud of
Jacob Conner - Alter

Did UD even take a look at this kid? At 6' 9" it appears he might even have the ability to play a wing at the D-1 level. Shooting 43% from 3 point land. I know he already signed last year with Marshall.

I guess thinking back to our 29-2 team most of the accolades were going Obi's and then Jalen's way (understandably) but with out Trey and Ryan our season would have looked way different.

I guess my point being that I like when we have some recruits from our backyard. I think it increases the chance of players sticking around and develop into players who are difference makers by the time they become Juniors.

I think the Conner kid could possibly be one of them.
Advertisement
Old 01-12-2022, 01:37 PM
Colonel

Piqua Flyer '66 has much to be proud ofPiqua Flyer '66 has much to be proud ofPiqua Flyer '66 has much to be proud ofPiqua Flyer '66 has much to be proud ofPiqua Flyer '66 has much to be proud ofPiqua Flyer '66 has much to be proud ofPiqua Flyer '66 has much to be proud ofPiqua Flyer '66 has much to be proud ofPiqua Flyer '66 has much to be proud ofPiqua Flyer '66 has much to be proud of
I have no question about CAG's recruiting.
You can't get every kid that you think might be an asset fo the program.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Piqua Flyer '66 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-12-2022), Marysville Flyer (01-12-2022), San Diego Flyer (01-12-2022)
Old 01-12-2022, 01:46 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,232 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
I have seen him play a couple times, and I do not think he is a player that would be at our level. Don't get me wrong, he is a decent player, but I think Marshall or a MAC team are a good fit for him.

With that being said, I understand every fanbase wants to keep the local kids, but many times they have a higher opinion of the local kids than reality. AG needs to keep recruiting the best kids available that fit his system and culture regardless of where they are from. We can't recruit lesser kids because they are local, in the hope they would be less likely to transfer. In this day and age, I don't think them being local is going to keep them from transferring.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
chicago92 (01-12-2022), Flyer 86 (01-12-2022)
Old 01-12-2022, 02:21 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 14,751 Times in 6,553 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
For perspective's sake:

Jacob Connor has scored about 600 pts in his 2.5-year varsity career and has about 17 games remaining...so at this pace he'll end his career with just under 1000 pts...which at Alter/GCL is a YUGE accomplishment!

Brady Uhl is on our bench as a walk-on and in his career year career at Alter, he score a little under 1100 pts and played D2 (Cumberland) as a covid freshman.

I know, I know...different heights, different positions...and you 'can't coach height', but strictly speaking about points, Connor is in small D1 territory.
Old 01-12-2022, 03:18 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,218 Times in 708 Posts
maddog07 has a reputation beyond reputemaddog07 has a reputation beyond reputemaddog07 has a reputation beyond reputemaddog07 has a reputation beyond reputemaddog07 has a reputation beyond reputemaddog07 has a reputation beyond reputemaddog07 has a reputation beyond reputemaddog07 has a reputation beyond reputemaddog07 has a reputation beyond reputemaddog07 has a reputation beyond reputemaddog07 has a reputation beyond repute
He could be the next Luke Frazier.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-12-2022, 03:28 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

CraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond repute
As long as he's not the next maddog, he'll be above the bottom rung
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CraSch For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (01-13-2022), ClaytonFlyerFan (01-12-2022), Gazoo (01-13-2022), NYCFLYER (01-15-2022)
Old 01-12-2022, 03:46 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,543 Times in 888 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
I believe he wanted to face the basket more and handle the ball which is a staple of D'antoni's coaching at Marshall. He's a far better player than a year ago and has gotten stronger. The kid can definitely play at a higher level than Marshall (not just my opinion) and he'd be getting plenty more offers had he not signed early.
Old 01-12-2022, 03:46 PM
1st Lieutenant

Sticks 'n Stearns is a splendid one to beholdSticks 'n Stearns is a splendid one to beholdSticks 'n Stearns is a splendid one to beholdSticks 'n Stearns is a splendid one to beholdSticks 'n Stearns is a splendid one to beholdSticks 'n Stearns is a splendid one to beholdSticks 'n Stearns is a splendid one to beholdSticks 'n Stearns is a splendid one to behold
He is in my son's class at Alter - UD did look at him - I know they had him behind the bench at a couple of games. My opinion - nice player, but a rung below the A10.
Old 01-12-2022, 03:54 PM
1st Lieutenant

O Doyle Rules has much to be proud ofO Doyle Rules has much to be proud ofO Doyle Rules has much to be proud ofO Doyle Rules has much to be proud ofO Doyle Rules has much to be proud ofO Doyle Rules has much to be proud ofO Doyle Rules has much to be proud ofO Doyle Rules has much to be proud ofO Doyle Rules has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
For perspective's sake:

Jacob Connor has scored about 600 pts in his 2.5-year varsity career and has about 17 games remaining...so at this pace he'll end his career with just under 1000 pts...which at Alter/GCL is a YUGE accomplishment!

Brady Uhl is on our bench as a walk-on and in his career year career at Alter, he score a little under 1100 pts and played D2 (Cumberland) as a covid freshman.

I know, I know...different heights, different positions...and you 'can't coach height', but strictly speaking about points, Connor is in small D1 territory.
Only thing I can say in defense of his lack of points, that two other players on the team have put up more shots than him over the last 2 years. If he put up the number of shots as other scoring leaders in the area, he would probably be averaging 25 a game.
Old 01-12-2022, 03:56 PM
1st Lieutenant

Originally Posted by maddog07 View Post
He could be the next Luke Frazier.
Posted via Mobile Device
You're almost right.

I was actually thinking more like Luke Fabrizius.
Mad Props to O Doyle Rules For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (01-12-2022)
Old 01-12-2022, 04:23 PM

Thanked 4,754 Times in 3,192 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Any relation to Larry Conner?
Old 01-13-2022, 10:47 AM
Major General

Thanked 5,363 Times in 1,955 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Spelling of last name is different. Larry Connor
Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud2 (01-13-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 11:28 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,970 Times in 976 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
CAG

is recruiting nationally and internationally at a very high level. Dayton is no longer dependent on local talent to compete with Philly New York Pittsburgh St Louis and Washington D.C.
Old 01-13-2022, 12:26 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 4,406 Times in 2,011 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by steve View Post
I believe he wanted to face the basket more and handle the ball which is a staple of D'antoni's coaching at Marshall. He's a far better player than a year ago and has gotten stronger. The kid can definitely play at a higher level than Marshall (not just my opinion) and he'd be getting plenty more offers had he not signed early.
Portal Player in a year.
Old 01-13-2022, 03:24 PM
General

Thanked 4,629 Times in 2,021 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
100 kids we overlook and they end up at MAC type of level.

10 go on to be the leading scorer on their respective teams.

1 ends up as a bona fide star level talent.

That doesn't mean we should have offered all 100.

The kid might end up in the NBA someday but a bad decision is NOT defined by a decision where you made the best possible choice based on all the information you had and it doesn't work out. If there's something else we should have known, and didn't, then it's a bad decision.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
springborofan (01-14-2022), UDEE79 (01-14-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 03:52 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,682 Times in 953 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
100 kids we overlook and they end up at MAC type of level.

10 go on to be the leading scorer on their respective teams.

1 ends up as a bona fide star level talent.

That doesn't mean we should have offered all 100.

The kid might end up in the NBA someday but a bad decision is NOT defined by a decision where you made the best possible choice based on all the information you had and it doesn't work out. If there's something else we should have known, and didn't, then it's a bad decision.
Just ask Jim Calhoun...

https://youtu.be/SX6FDEDbesE
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (01-13-2022), Gazoo (01-13-2022), Lifelong Flyer Fan (01-13-2022), MrFlyerFanatic (01-14-2022), springborofan (01-14-2022), steverino015 (01-15-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 04:37 PM

Thanked 6,207 Times in 2,825 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
Just ask Jim Calhoun...

I had not seen that before. That was awesome!
Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (01-14-2022)
Old 01-14-2022, 09:16 AM

Thanked 2,160 Times in 876 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
Wasn’t UD in the final two for Ryan Gomes?

I think he almost came here and should be one of the top “got away” players of all time.
Old 01-14-2022, 11:16 AM
General

Thanked 3,655 Times in 1,791 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not sure if we were in the Final 2 or not, I know UD was involved pretty involved with him and Mark Jones at the same time, both were from CT.

As far as one of the top "got away" players, when the standard is Wilt the Stilt, Ryan Gomes is pretty far from the top despite being a very good player
Old 01-14-2022, 01:48 PM

Thanked 2,160 Times in 876 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
Wilt was in a class of his own. Leon Douglass (went to Alabama) is also near the top.
Old 01-15-2022, 12:32 AM
General

Thanked 3,993 Times in 2,089 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by springborofan View Post
Wilt was in a class of his own. Leon Douglass (went to Alabama) is also near the top.
Don’t forget Ron Harper, but that was one that we let get away, not one that we tried (but failed) to get.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-15-2022, 03:46 AM
Colonel

steverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
Just ask Jim Calhoun...

all things considered,
I am now a Jim Calhoun fan....)

I had never seen this before
I would suggest:
no follow up questions, bruh...)
Mad Props to steverino015 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (01-18-2022)
Old 01-15-2022, 03:53 PM

Thanked 6,207 Times in 2,825 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by steverino015 View Post
all things considered,
I am now a Jim Calhoun fan....)

I had never seen this before
I would suggest:
no follow up questions, bruh...)
Yep. This was much better then "Playoffs!!?? Playoffs??!!" or "Practice, Practice? You talkin' 'bout practice? Practice??!!"
Old 01-15-2022, 04:47 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 3,054 Times in 1,697 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I think we Connor was considered a higher rated prospect early in his career but seems like his ranking sank as time went on