Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 12-05-2016, 01:05 PM
Captain

224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute
Lack of Rivalry Games

I heard on Flyer pre-game or post game show a few weeks back the question proposed: As of today, who would you consider Dayton's biggest rivalry? It got me thinking that since X left, we don't have a consistent rivalry game on our schedule year in and year out, which is disappointing. This part of the country is a hotbed for college basketball, and to think we don't play a single team within a 2 hour driving radius is a little crazy. Rivalry games are great recruiting tools, fun for fan bases and depending on how close schools are, can be great for the community. While I understand cases can be made for and against schedulimg each school below, off the top of my head here is a list of all D1 schools in a roughly 2hr driving radius:

Cincinnati, X, Wright State, Miami, Ohio State, Ohio, Bowling Green, Toledo, Butler, IUPUI, IUPFW, Louisville, Kentucky, Northern Kentucky, Morehead St, Eastern Kentucky

When you take a step back it's kind of crazy we don't play any of these 16 schools and I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting. When looking ahead at our schedule, I'd rather revive a rivalry or start one with any of these teams instead of playing RPI anchor VMI (currently 343) later this month.

Let it be noted, I largely like the caliber of teams we are scheduling and don't want this to turn into a 'strength of schedule' thread or another 'why we should play WSU' thread, however simply looking at the big picture, we have no rivalry games on the books and don't appear to be trying to start any new ones, which I find to be a little disappointing.

Last edited by 224; 12-05-2016 at 01:07 PM..
Advertisement
Old 12-05-2016, 01:32 PM
General

Thanked 4,319 Times in 2,123 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
Well its a two way street, of the teams you listed, only UC, X, UK, Louisville and OSU would be annually attractive additions to the schedule, however non of those schools have any interest in playing an annual home & away arrangement to make it work from UD's perspective.

Wright State & Miami are both local, but both have been up and down (mainly down) for quite some time and don't add to UD's schedule much. I'm sure both would happily play UD home and away, but like the schools above, I don't think UD has much interest save perhaps Miami just because of the tradition that has seemingly passed its due course.

The rest of the schools you list would never be a rivalry game. They be 2 hours or less away, but none of them are teams that would get the fan base excited and many of them are teams that UD has and can schedule for a home only "buy" game most seasons.

Short of one of X, UC, UK, OSU or Louisville agreeing to an arrangement that would allow for an annual matchup to occur (slim has left the building for man of those teams) UD needs to focus on getting its OOC schedule as strong as it can based upon the realities that home games foot the bill and there is only so much leeway UD has in scheduling. For the most part, I think they do a good job with this. I'd gladly trade Vandy for any of the main 5 schools on our schedule, but I'll gladly keep Vandy in lieu of any of the other schools that you mentioned.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:38 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
When I was in school the rivals were Notre Dame, Depaul and Marquette (early 80s). However, none of the traditional rivals want to play UD (ND, Depaul, MU, XU, UC).
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Sea Bass For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-05-2016), Jeff (12-05-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 01:40 PM

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
You are more likely to get a rivalry out of an in conference foe such as STL, Duq, or VCU for now...the first two if they actually got their heads out of the sand.

I think the MAC schools are logical programs to throw in the mix, but other than local alumni bases...no one cares about those schools and there isn't a history with anyone other than Miami. That game has always been fun, but we see it as more of a rivalry game than Miami does. There is nothing rivalry about going to a game at Millet.

Rivalries aren't scheduled, they are made....through history, tradition, geography, dislike, respect, etc...For the majority of history, the X/UD game was a rivalry for us and them...if we were to play today it would be more about UD than X as they have moved on. Even then, other than UC...who are their rivals? The only logical ones would be in Fairborn and Oxford...they are logical rivals due to geography and history. Other than that, there is nothing there other than some media hype.

Unfortunately, I think that there is probably a bunch of that across the landscape...look at UNC...they have Duke...NC State maybe...and other than that, any other powerhouse they may play from other conferences. They wouldn't see the other ACC schools as rivalries.
Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-05-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 01:46 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,388 Times in 620 Posts
AC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond repute
i'll probably get killed for this, but to me, this gets into the Big East discussion, which i know is just a thoeretical one. However, because of history and the institutional similarities to many in that conference there are many teams there which would be good,natural rivals (many already have been in the past). That has always been my struggle in the current A10 line up. There are good schools for sure, but none that the fanbases and schools in general get that fired up about on a year-to-year basis. Sure we currently get fired up for VCU or URI, but that has more to do wth their standing in the conference and the benefit to our schedule than in any interest in playing those particular institutions. and unless something changes, we will continue the current model of trying to schedule the best opponents and get in the stronges A10 pod and we will continue to lack a heated rivalry. just my $0.02.

eit: and the move to 18-game conference schdules has all but eliminated the chance for a non-conference rival.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to AC91 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-05-2016), SeasonTicketFan (12-05-2016), UDTradition (05-16-2017)
Old 12-05-2016, 01:58 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
This reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where George wanted a nickname. Like a nickname, you can't just get a rivalry started. Didn't SLU try to do that with us? We kind of laughed it off.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
AC91 (12-05-2016), Flyer 86 (12-05-2016), flyerfanatic86 (12-05-2016), UDTradition (05-16-2017)
Old 12-05-2016, 02:04 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
These Are the Good Old Days for Flyer Basketball

The Dayton program is at a sustained level of excellence unparalleled in it's history since Tom Blackburn coached. Dayton's rivalry games exist within the Atlantic 10 Conference and it is picked by the coaches and experts to contend for a title this year. Rhode Island, VCU, Davidson and St. Joseph's all qualify as rivalry games based upon the dynamic of the conference standings. Furthermore UD has created rivalries within the NCAA tournament by qualifying for the event for three consecutive years. As a life long Flyer fan who saw my first game in the Field House in 1950 I can proudly say to you "Behold Archie Miller's Dayton Flyers led by 4 Senior stars and understand you are witnessing the very best Dayton Flyer Men's Basketball has to offer." Please do not let the irrelevant minutia diminish your enjoyment as a UD Flyer fan.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Alberto Strasse For This Totally Excellent Post:
Jeff (12-05-2016), ruechalgrin (12-05-2016), TMPH66 (12-05-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 02:11 PM

Thanked 10,123 Times in 5,859 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
We needed rivalries back in the days of playing an independent schedule. Now it is about winning the A10.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (12-06-2016), Flyer 86 (12-05-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 02:21 PM
Brigadier General

DGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond repute
Slogans, chants, metaphors, etc. play a part in creating and cultivating
a rivalry. Does anyone recall the burning of furniture and chanting
"The Hawk is dead!" after the Flyers beat St. Joe's in the Palestra back in 63?
Mad Props to DGO67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer2 (05-15-2017)
Old 12-05-2016, 02:21 PM

Thanked 6,122 Times in 4,168 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Cincinnati would be a good candidate...the game would benefit both schools IMO...they are stuck in the American for the time being due to the Big12 deciding not to expand...they have fallen behind X at this point IMO...and their attendance has never recovered from the Huggins firing...they could use another rivalry game IMO to add interest for their fans.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (12-05-2016), springborofan (12-05-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 02:22 PM

Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
Cincinnati would be a good candidate...the game would benefit both schools IMO...they are stuck in the American for the time being due to the Big12 deciding not to expand...they have fallen behind X at this point IMO...and their attendance has never recovered from the Huggins firing.
... and they don't want to play Dayton.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:28 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,011 Posts
xubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond repute
Xavier and Dayton should play. They don't NEED to play, but there is more to gain from it than not. It would be fun for the fans, it would create an intense environment for the players prior to conference play starting, and it would be a quality match-up.

There is something else I didn't think about that Joe Lunardi, of all people, brought up. There is almost nothing that fits this category. Non conference rivalry between two tournament regulars that are not FBS schools. Xavier v Dayton would certainly fall into that category. He didn't point that out as pointedly as that in the link below, but I know he has made that point before. Out of everything on the list, it was the game that most caught his attention, and it was because of that reason.

I also now think that the reason XU and UD don't play isn't the reason that most people think that it is. The coaches are friends and would simply rather not play each other. I know that isn't what the internet message board world thinks, but that is what I've heard from people whom I think would know. So, I've decided to just leave it at that, I guess. But, **** it would be fun to see it come back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDKM...outu.be&t=1683
Old 12-05-2016, 02:36 PM
1st Lieutenant

KC Flyer is a jewel in the roughKC Flyer is a jewel in the roughKC Flyer is a jewel in the rough
If we had a conference opponent with a shared history and/or close geography we would not need an OOC rivalry game but it still feels like we are "new" to the A10 and do not firmly have 2 feet planted in the conference.

As others said earlier, you cannot make a rival just by putting a game on the schedule. But, that would be the first step if UD wanted a "rival" game. I think a few more years of consistent RPI will help us get a traditional rival back on the schedule.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:37 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,324 Times in 443 Posts
Runnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond repute
I consider VCU our current rival... both schools have great fan base, excellent game day atmospheres, and are challenging each other for for the A10 title each year.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Runnin' Rebel For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-05-2016), John C. (12-05-2016), Phi Psi Flyer '09 (12-05-2016), ruechalgrin (12-05-2016), SeasonTicketFan (12-05-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 02:45 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

keats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with vcu as current rival. But I also don't like Rhode Island or st joes. Doesn't make them rivals, but potential is there, i.e. Some history to build on.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-05-2016, 02:56 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,556 Times in 3,701 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Great question. I fear of the options available, most of the answers you can find in this thread.

http://www.udpride.com/forums/showth...t=27285&page=5
Old 12-05-2016, 02:57 PM

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
Xavier and Dayton should play. They don't NEED to play, but there is more to gain from it than not. It would be fun for the fans, it would create an intense environment for the players prior to conference play starting, and it would be a quality match-up.

There is something else I didn't think about that Joe Lunardi, of all people, brought up. There is almost nothing that fits this category. Non conference rivalry between two tournament regulars that are not FBS schools. Xavier v Dayton would certainly fall into that category. He didn't point that out as pointedly as that in the link below, but I know he has made that point before. Out of everything on the list, it was the game that most caught his attention, and it was because of that reason.

I also now think that the reason XU and UD don't play isn't the reason that most people think that it is. The coaches are friends and would simply rather not play each other. I know that isn't what the internet message board world thinks, but that is what I've heard from people whom I think would know. So, I've decided to just leave it at that, I guess. But, **** it would be fun to see it come back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDKM...outu.be&t=1683
I was told something different. I was told that the Big East schools were under orders to not play A10 schools for risk of possibly losing to what they would consider an inferior league and hurting the league reputation. This is very, similar to why UD won't play Wright State regardless of RPI. (except that A10 RPI ratings are closer to Big East than Wright State is to UD).

X might indeed want to play, but I question that. If they did or do, I understand the league would not like or want it.

Playing/ not playing has lots of jockeying.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:06 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
In other "you can't force a rivalry" news:

http://deadspin.com/ucf-beats-uconn-...tro-1788119816
Mad Props to priceg75 For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyhi524 (12-05-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 03:10 PM
Major General

xubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SeasonTicketFan View Post
I was told something different. I was told that the Big East schools were under orders to not play A10 schools for risk of possibly losing to what they would consider an inferior league and hurting the league reputation. This is very, similar to why UD won't play Wright State regardless of RPI. (except that A10 RPI ratings are closer to Big East than Wright State is to UD).

X might indeed want to play, but I question that. If they did or do, I understand the league would not like or want it.

Playing/ not playing has lots of jockeying.
X doesn't want to play, and neither does Dayton from what I understand. At least not right now. No one from the Matta/Miller coaching family tree plays each other.

As far as the Big East being ordered not to schedule the A10, that is clearly not the case. This year Nova plays La Salle and Saint Joe's, Providence plays Rhode Island and UMass, Georgetown plays La Salle (albeit at a neutral site), and Saint John's plays Fordham. If they're under orders not to schedule the A10, then half the league is simply ignoring the order and doing so without consequence. I seriously doubt that's what happened.

Last edited by xubrew; 12-05-2016 at 03:21 PM..
Old 12-05-2016, 03:16 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,082 Times in 469 Posts
Piqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant future
Rivals will come, possibly.
You think Butler worries about rivals?
You think XU worries about rivals? (Yea there's UC, but its not what it use to be)
IMHO, NO.....they just want to win
They just want a shot at the national championship each year.
Let's keep following the template that those two schools developed for us.
Win games
win league titles
make NCAA annually,
Beat the Big 5/BCS/Top 25 schools in the NCAA
then those schools will come to your place to play because your program is no long considered a bad loss.
We are getting there under AM.
Let's Keep dancing!
Rivals will take care of themselves.
GO FLYERS!
Keep winning......bingo, we'll be like the boys in Cincy and Indy.
Mad Props to Piqua Flyer '66 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-05-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 03:40 PM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SeasonTicketFan View Post
X might indeed want to play, but I question that.
X definitely has no interest at all in playing UD, that is coming first hand from X.

Originally Posted by Piqua Flyer '66 View Post
Butler regularly plays IU, Purdue, and Notre Dame.

Wright State started out 5-1 with their new coach, but they just got thumped by 22 at Penn State...they also lost to Toledo at home and at Georgia State, so they are falling back.

Last edited by ud2; 12-05-2016 at 03:43 PM..
Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Phi Psi Flyer '09 (12-05-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 03:41 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,912 Times in 1,082 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Me thinks we had a similar thread/topic concerning the WVB side. Although it is great to have a rivalry, one game does not make a season.

It fires the fans up once in about 30 games (if you play H-W in the same season then 2/30 in a season). Playing in a conference where it all matters should enable both fans and players to realize that all games inside the conference has a direct bearing on the season and possibly its' outcome for post season play. Failing to understand that is a fundamental flaw in the premise "only a rivalry matters".

Now if we could look at this in another way, select any team in the BE, and you could make the case that any team you pick would be a rivalry game. AND I'm not talking about the recent snub (if you want to call it something). I'm talking about the past history with this program for most of those teams ... it goes back generations and some great and not so great outcomes against most of them.

Now that is a series of 'rivalry games' within a conference that would up the term "rivalry". Again just based upon events and history from years ago over many years and NOT the animosity generated within the last 5-6 years.

That would be a unique situation combining old program rivalry and conference rivalry in one package. We don't have that.

Failing that we must direct our attention to the intra-conference rivalries we do have. AND can you not say that some of those interactions have instilled 'rivalry' into the contest? Can you say St L?, How about St J?, AND RI to name just three!
Old 12-05-2016, 03:41 PM
Captain

Phi Psi Flyer '09 is a splendid one to beholdPhi Psi Flyer '09 is a splendid one to beholdPhi Psi Flyer '09 is a splendid one to beholdPhi Psi Flyer '09 is a splendid one to beholdPhi Psi Flyer '09 is a splendid one to beholdPhi Psi Flyer '09 is a splendid one to beholdPhi Psi Flyer '09 is a splendid one to beholdPhi Psi Flyer '09 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Piqua Flyer '66 View Post
Rivals will come, possibly.
You think XU worries about rivals? (Yea there's UC, but its not what it use to be)
IMHO, NO.....they just want to win
They just want a shot at the national championship each year.
Let's keep following the template that those two schools developed for us.
Win games
win league titles
make NCAA annually,
Beat the Big 5/BCS/Top 25 schools in the NCAA
then those schools will come to your place to play because your program is no long considered a bad loss.
We are getting there under AM.
Let's Keep dancing!
Rivals will take care of themselves.
GO FLYERS!
Keep winning......bingo, we'll be like the boys in Cincy and Indy.
Butler plays in the state of Indiana challenge at Bankers Life Fieldhouse with ND/Purdue/Indiana. They clearly, absolutely care about rivals.

UC and X absolutely care about each other, so much so that they will play each other in the middle of conference season if they have to.

I don't even care that UD doesn't have any traditional rivals anymore, but what you wrote above just isn't true. I'm fine with kicking SLU around twice a year and VCU's fanbase has developed a nice rivalry with us (even though their actually rival is Richmond, don't get that confused).
Mad Props to Phi Psi Flyer '09 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (12-07-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 03:52 PM
1st Lieutenant

KC Flyer is a jewel in the roughKC Flyer is a jewel in the roughKC Flyer is a jewel in the rough
I think a rival has to be a school where the game is BIG no matter the current standings. If either UD or VCU were not atop the conference standings, then the fans would not care about the game. If we can both continue to fight for the conference, then this could become a rivalry as our fan bases will be anticipating the games and we will have a history of big games and game day stories.
Mad Props to KC Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-16-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 04:39 PM

Thanked 3,136 Times in 795 Posts
John C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond repute
I think it could be years before we have a real rival. VCU is probably the closest thing we have to one today. Let's be honest, no one that is any good really wants to play us. No matter what we think of ourselves, we are still Dayton from the A10. No fan base is going to be excited about getting tickets to the Dayton game. Xavier has made the leap but it took them a long time to get there. Xavier gets to play the big boys, but it took 10 years of high level success to get that respect. They were there before the Big East. Being in the league has just cemented that.

It would be nice to have a team to hate every year. That is what rivalries are about. We don't hate VCU, we respect them. It just wouldn't be as much fun. X, we hate. UC, we hate. OSU, we hate. That would be fun.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to John C. For This Totally Excellent Post:
Chris R (12-05-2016), flyerfanatic86 (12-06-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 05:02 PM
2nd Lieutenant

UD B8BEE has a spectacular aura aboutUD B8BEE has a spectacular aura aboutUD B8BEE has a spectacular aura about
It will never return to the great games with ND back in my day.
Sit down Digger, rolls of TP in the air, mooning Tripuka,.......sigh ya shoulda been there
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UD B8BEE For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-05-2016), TMPH66 (12-05-2016), UDBaby (12-05-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 05:34 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
I have a funny feeling that Davidson is going to turn into a big time rival in time. But I'd rather forget about A10 or regional rivals and look at teams like Gonzaga for home and away. Maybe another west coast team that's in the dance often like SDST. Forget about the region, we don't need a regional rival as we fill our arena without them. We need quality opponents that we can start annual big games against. Ones against teams that are usually toward the top in similarly rated conferences as the A10.
Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-05-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 05:47 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,743 Times in 798 Posts
UDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UD B8BEE View Post
It will never return to the great games with ND back in my day.
Sit down Digger, rolls of TP in the air, mooning Tripuka,.......sigh ya shoulda been there
Those were BB memories I'll never forget....and still bore my buddies with as often as I can!!!
Mad Props to UDBaby For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-16-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 06:05 PM
2nd Lieutenant

Jay O'Leary is a splendid one to beholdJay O'Leary is a splendid one to beholdJay O'Leary is a splendid one to beholdJay O'Leary is a splendid one to beholdJay O'Leary is a splendid one to beholdJay O'Leary is a splendid one to beholdJay O'Leary is a splendid one to beholdJay O'Leary is a splendid one to behold
In response to DGO "The Hawk is dead..." you forgot the rest of it. As I recall, shortly after ending St. Joe's Palestra winning streak, we played Loyola of Chicago. They had won the National Title over UC a year or two before and we played them in the Field House. The chant before the game was: "The hawk is dead, the rambler's next." It was hopping and it was hot in the field house but we lost by about 5.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:36 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,244 Posts
C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
I can't believe none of you have mentioned the yearly battle for the Arch-Baron Cup with the mighty Billikens of St. Louis! Winning that is important!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (12-06-2016), flyhi524 (12-05-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 06:38 PM

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
A rivalry also has to be played every year, not twice in four. You can care about those games or series, but they aren't rivalries when they go on and off the schedule.
Old 12-05-2016, 07:25 PM
Major General

I think rivalries and showcases are different. Showcase games can be huge, and they can be intense. Kentucky v Kansas is a great example. But, if there is no actual hate, then it's not a rivalry. Duke v Syracuse is not a rivalry. It's a big game, and it's definitely a showcase game, but it's not a rivalry game. They don't hate each other.

If you have to ask yourself if someone is a rival, then it probably means they are not your rival. If you're in denial about who your rival is and can come up with a long list of reasons as to why they're not your rival, then it probably means they are your rival.

So, in short, if you're not sure then they're not your rival. If you feel instinctively compelled to make as strong of a case as possible that a team is not your rival, then that team is your rival.
Mad Props to xubrew For This Totally Excellent Post:
Runnin' Rebel (12-05-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 08:38 PM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alberto Strasse View Post
The Dayton program is at a sustained level of excellence unparalleled in it's history since Tom Blackburn coached. Dayton's rivalry games exist within the Atlantic 10 Conference and it is picked by the coaches and experts to contend for a title this year. Rhode Island, VCU, Davidson and St. Joseph's all qualify as rivalry games based upon the dynamic of the conference standings. Furthermore UD has created rivalries within the NCAA tournament by qualifying for the event for three consecutive years. As a life long Flyer fan who saw my first game in the Field House in 1950 I can proudly say to you "Behold Archie Miller's Dayton Flyers led by 4 Senior stars and understand you are witnessing the very best Dayton Flyer Men's Basketball has to offer." Please do not let the irrelevant minutia diminish your enjoyment as a UD Flyer fan.
Translated: Laissez les bons temps rouler
Old 12-05-2016, 09:07 PM
Major

Bucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond repute
X doesn't want to play, and neither does Dayton from what I understand. At least not right now. No one from the Matta/Miller coaching family tree plays each other.

As far as the Big East being ordered not to schedule the A10, that is clearly not the case. This year Nova plays La Salle and Saint Joe's, Providence plays Rhode Island and UMass, Georgetown plays La Salle (albeit at a neutral site), and Saint John's plays Fordham. If they're under orders not to schedule the A10, then half the league is simply ignoring the order and doing so without consequence. I seriously doubt that's what happened.
Stop using facts to dispute emotion!

I suppose it is possible that the BE requested members not to schedule A10 members at 1 time as the conference re-established itself. Or perhaps, requested new members not schedule games against the A10 to solidify the perception of them as BE members.But the alleged scheduling mandate always smelled a bit of sour grapes.

I assume if someone went back and checked, these games have been played every year... at least the Big 5 games.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:06 PM

Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,139 Posts
ruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond repute
Too bad Ohio cannot have the Buckeye Classic like Indiana.

Ohio St., Cincy, Xavier, and Dayton is comparable to Indiana, Purdue, Butler, and ND.

Xavier will not play Dayton (but Dayton would play Xavier). Cincy is the really odd one for me as they will not play Dayton as well in home and home. Sorry but AAC and A-10 are the same and both schools need to upgrade their OOC schedules ...
Mad Props to ruechalgrin For This Totally Excellent Post:
Runnin' Rebel (12-05-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 11:41 PM
General

Thanked 1,266 Times in 784 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ruechalgrin View Post

Ohio St., Cincy, Xavier, and Dayton is comparable to Indiana, Purdue, Butler, and ND.

Xavier will not play Dayton (but Dayton would play Xavier). Cincy is the really odd one for me as they will not play Dayton as well in home and home. Sorry but AAC and A-10 are the same and both schools need to upgrade their OOC schedules ...
I think the ONLY Way for it ever to happen (play in State quality teams, i.e. Rivals) is for in a Tournament or Classic like listed above.

You got the teams right there! Cincy, OSU, Xavier and Dayton.

Man would that be GREAT!!!
Old 12-06-2016, 10:17 AM
Colonel

Buckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud of
[QUOTE=UD B8BEE;473711]It will never return to the great games with ND back in my day.

I concur. Two catholic schools playing seemed like a rivalry. The three faces, Adrian Dantley, Kelly Tripucka and Digger Phelps still show up in my memory. Digger's insult of Donoher and etc...Also, that dirty player, Flowers is remembered.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-06-2016, 11:09 AM
Major

UDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant future
There are currently no real rivalries. From my standpoint a rivalry is now an A-10 team that was good the last couple of years and appears to have a good squad when we play them...especially if they have given us some sound beatings in the past (URI...St. Joe's...etc.)

Kinda sad...

It will take years to build another rivalry (unless Xavier is in the equation) so let's just play the best teams we can at their home. There is very little to lose in this arrangement.

Temple did this year after year with great success.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:45 AM
Major General

Originally Posted by ruechalgrin View Post

I agree. If you added a fifth team to that and played a round robin, you could count it as an exempt tournament. And, it doesn't mean that you can't play in other exempt tournaments. It just means that in the years that you don't, you could count this as an exempt tournament and play 31 regular season games.

This thread has made me realize something. The more of a hardcore fan you are, the more likely it is that you underestimate and under-appreciate rivalries. Hardcore fans care about everything and are used to caring about everything. They don't understand that the vast majority of people out there are not hardcore fans. They don't care about everything, but they do care about rivalries. The fact that so many of them have gone away (not just with UD, but across the entire landscape of college sports) has really alienated the casual fan and made them even less interested.

Texas and Texas A&M can come up with all the reasons in the world of why they don't need to play each other. And, not one of those reasons will make any sense to the casual fan. Their arenas are half empty for most of the OOC games. If they scheduled each other, it would sell out in an hour. Bringing the football game back would mean more viewers as well. Not everyone is a diehard fan, but everyone is highly interested in that match-up.

You want to know why rivalries are important?? Ask the people that aren't diehard fans and that don't watch every game what games they do watch. Or, sadly, USED to watch. If you don't care about preserving and/or restoring rivalries then you should, and unfortunately the people in charge don't seem to think that way.

Last edited by xubrew; 12-06-2016 at 11:49 AM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to xubrew For This Totally Excellent Post:
Radar (12-06-2016), superfan99 (12-07-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 12:38 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
I agree. If you added a fifth team to that and played a round robin, you could count it as an exempt tournament. And, it doesn't mean that you can't play in other exempt tournaments. It just means that in the years that you don't, you could count this as an exempt tournament and play 31 regular season games.

This thread has made me realize something. The more of a hardcore fan you are, the more likely it is that you underestimate and under-appreciate rivalries. Hardcore fans care about everything and are used to caring about everything. They don't understand that the vast majority of people out there are not hardcore fans. They don't care about everything, but they do care about rivalries. The fact that so many of them have gone away (not just with UD, but across the entire landscape of college sports) has really alienated the casual fan and made them even less interested.

Texas and Texas A&M can come up with all the reasons in the world of why they don't need to play each other. And, not one of those reasons will make any sense to the casual fan. Their arenas are half empty for most of the OOC games. If they scheduled each other, it would sell out in an hour. Bringing the football game back would mean more viewers as well. Not everyone is a diehard fan, but everyone is highly interested in that match-up.

You want to know why rivalries are important?? Ask the people that aren't diehard fans and that don't watch every game what games they do watch. Or, sadly, USED to watch. If you don't care about preserving and/or restoring rivalries then you should, and unfortunately the people in charge don't seem to think that way.
The casual fan theory also applies to student support (or lack thereof) as well. The reason the student section was 40% larger in the 70's and 80's and always full was not always the success of the team, but the fact the opponents were DePaul, ND, Xavier, UC, Miami, etc. Yes we were an independent, but it would be nice to have 1-3 of the above in a non-con rotation.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:47 PM
Captain

hessbz12 is just really nicehessbz12 is just really nicehessbz12 is just really nicehessbz12 is just really nice
I'd like to see Dayton play more MAC schools in their OOC schedule. Not multiple MAC teams in a season, but work with some MAC schools to host or for a home and home. I'm an OU grad and they have had some good runs over the last 5 years. Sweet sixteen one year and we all know that Akron and Kent are always up there. Miami always gives us fits no matter how good they are. I think it would just be good for the state of Ohio to see Dayton host more MAC schools.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:40 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
I miss the days of UD having a rival. Those 2 or 3 games were a little more fun and a little more intense than the rest, even for us fans. But I would not trade our success we have had since we lost our main rival to have a rival again. People keep bringing up playing Miami or other MAC schools to be rivals. Do any of these teams really excite the fans unless they have personal ties to that school as well? The MAC is a 1 bid league. Can teams from the MAC beat us? Yes, we almost lost to Miami, BGSU, and Eastern Michigan in back to back to back games a couple years back. But not one of those teams is good enough from year to year to be a rival. I know we have had a lot of history with Miami, but the last 10-15 years, I have not got any more excited for that game as I have for Winthrop. I hope to develop another rivalry, but I really hope we do not try and force one just to have one.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (12-06-2016), flyerfanatic86 (12-07-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 06:04 PM

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
I am pretty sure there is no BE rule or request to not play A10 schools. UD has been close to signing home and home with one or more BE teams not in Cincinnati.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to UDDoug For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (12-15-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 11:47 PM

I listened to Lance McCallister for a few minutes on WLW earlier tonight...he was ripping on UC's OOC home game schedule...he said that UC is asking their fans to pay for a nice dinner but giving them a bag of Cheetos in return...he said that UC fans were being asked to get their dinner out of a vending machine instead of being given the nice meal that they paid for.

His comments made me laugh.

UD would be a good addition to UC's schedule.

UC's home OOC schedule has 1 good game, Xavier, and that's it.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:46 AM
General of the Air Force

ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDDoug View Post
I am pretty sure there is no BE rule or request to not play A10 schools. UD has been close to signing home and home with one or more BE teams not in Cincinnati.
Posted via Mobile Device
Close? So when I watch a D2 school I should just close my eyes and pretend it is a Big East school since we were close? Why did the deals fall through? Were the Big East schools just blowing hot air up our rear ends to make us think they might commit to a home and home series? Though they may not say it publicly, would not surprise me one bit if their was an unofficial do not play UD request. Then again, being one of the top two conferences in RPI for the second straight season, the Big East does not need to play us out of conference.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:12 AM

Thanked 15,872 Times in 6,979 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDDoug View Post
I am pretty sure there is no BE rule or request to not play A10 schools.
What I was told (two years ago) was that the new Big East schools were told not to schedule UD for non-conference games to protect themselves in case the BE expanded and added UD, meaning that they would play us twice and it could screw up Conference standings.

Is this the truth? I don't know but it came from someone inside the Dept so I had no reason to doubt them.
UD62 (12-15-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 08:34 AM
Major General

m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
What I was told (two years ago) was that the new Big East schools were told not to schedule UD for non-conference games to protect themselves in case the BE expanded and added UD, meaning that they would play us twice and it could screw up Conference standings.

Is this the truth? I don't know but it came from someone inside the Dept so I had no reason to doubt them.
Butler played X in an OOC game the year Butler was in the A10. They would just have to have that game count towards the OOC since that was the way it would have been scheduled.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:47 AM
1st Lieutenant

Dillomernda is a glorious beacon of lightDillomernda is a glorious beacon of lightDillomernda is a glorious beacon of lightDillomernda is a glorious beacon of lightDillomernda is a glorious beacon of lightDillomernda is a glorious beacon of light
I listened to Lance McCallister for a few minutes on WLW earlier tonight...he was ripping on UC's OOC home game schedule...he said that UC is asking their fans to pay for a nice dinner but giving them a bag of Cheetos in return...he said that UC fans were being asked to get their dinner out of a vending machine instead of being given the nice meal that they paid for.

His comments made me laugh.

UD would be a good addition to UC's schedule.

UC's home OOC schedule has 1 good game, Xavier, and that's it.
UC was originally supposed to have Michigan at home this season. They backed out of the game in late August and had to fill someone else in at the last minute.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:07 AM
Captain

224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute
For the first time, and second time, in as long as I can remember, I felt bored at the last two UD games. Versus D2 St Joes and East Tenn St. We won both games fairly comfortably, and with little knowledge or emotional ties to either program, it was just kind of blah. It wasn't even like they had some undersized guard from Ohio scoring buckets (like Winthrop), where you think to yourself, 'I wonder what this kid was like in HS and if we ever even looked at him.'

For all those saying a rivalry simply can't be scheduled and started, I would beg to differ. As an example, I think St Mary's would be a great rivalry if both would agree to extend the series beyond a 2 year commitment. They are a 'like-minded school' facing similar scheduling issues as us, and with a quality program. In 10 years from now, if we have played them every year for the last 10, I would think most would agree a rivalry has been started with a comparable catholic program on the west coast.

Also, I recognize that with the exception of UL, UD, X, UC, OSU and maybe Butler, UD would have no interest in starting a home and home in the attempt to create or revive a 'rivalry' game with a D1 school like Northern Kentucky, Toledo, Miami, IPFW, etc. HOWEVER, to ignore playing all local schools all together is where my frustration lies.

So to somewhat edit my initial comment, I would love to see a rivalry started (St Mary, Butler, Whichita St, etc) or revived (UC, UL, X). And regardless if they start one or not, play some local schools. Plain and simple. I think almost everyone would rather see us play a comparable local school instead of a team we know nothing about.

As an example, look at these comprable schools versus teams on our schedule: Schedule OU (projected RPI 84) instead of East Tenn St (projected RPI 77). Or Akron (projected RPI 90) instead of Winthrop (projected RPI 100). Youngstown State (projected RPI 264) over Austin Peay (projected RPI 256). Or literally anyone over RPI anchor VMI (projected 346). Miami is projected at 286, would you rather not play them?

I'm not lobbying to play all these schools and all local games, as I recognize there is more that goes into scheduling, I.e. scheduling conflicts, recruiting, maybe a team wants a home nd home, politics, etc. But to tell me we couldn't have made even 1 of these games work? I don't like it.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to 224 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Dillomernda (12-15-2016), Radar (12-15-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 10:59 AM
Major General

Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post
Close? So when I watch a D2 school I should just close my eyes and pretend it is a Big East school since we were close? Why did the deals fall through? Were the Big East schools just blowing hot air up our rear ends to make us think they might commit to a home and home series? Though they may not say it publicly, would not surprise me one bit if their was an unofficial do not play UD request. Then again, being one of the top two conferences in RPI for the second straight season, the Big East does not need to play us out of conference.
A few things...

I thought the game against East Tennessee State was the best Dayton had looked all year. In fact, I was half expecting UD to lose the game. ETSU had just one loss, and appears to be as good as Chattanooga. They also just won at Mississippi State the other night. They may not have the brand name that gets you excited, but they are actually good and you beat them rather easily.

The Big East is in its fourth season under its current format. In that time, they've played 29 games against A10 teams. Anyone who says that the Big East is under some sort of mandate to not schedule the A10 means that you're doing two things. They're using your imagination, and they're ignoring the facts. Now I haven't looked this up, but I'd say that outside of the Big Ten in which the Big East plays in the Gavitt games, there is no other conference that the Big East schedules more games against than the A10. I know some of them have been in tournaments, but the vast majority are regular home and homes and/or regular rivalries (Nova and the Big Five, Saint John's v Fordham, Providence v Rhody, etc).

Dayton no plays 18 conference games. They were in an exempt tournament this year, which means they're now down to nine OOC (exempt tournaments mean you play 27 games in addition to the exempt event). Of those nine, seven were home games and five were buy games. The ones that weren't were Alabama, Saint Mary's, Northwestern, and Vanderbilt. Now, if that's how they choose to schedule, then great. But, the real reason they may not be able to get Big East teams to play them is because of how much they've chosen to limit themselves. If you feel you need that many home games, then which of those four non-buy games do you replace with a BE opponent??

And, to be fair it isn't just UD.

On the day UD played Austin Peay, UC played Brown.
On the day after UD played Winthrop, UC played Bowling Green
On the day before UD plays VMI, UC is playing Marshall.

And somehow, both fanbases are complaining (and deservedly so) about how boring their OOC schedule is.

Hmmmm....it's just too bad that there isn't an obvious solution to this problem. If only there was some way for these two schools who's fans are complaining about their OOC schedules to come up with a way to work together to perhaps fix that.

Last edited by xubrew; 12-15-2016 at 11:14 AM..
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to xubrew For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (12-15-2016), rollo (12-15-2016), Runnin' Rebel (12-15-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 12:58 PM
General of the Air Force

The Big East is in its fourth season under its current format. In that time, they've played 29 games against A10 teams. Anyone who says that the Big East is under some sort of mandate to not schedule the A10 means that you're doing two things. .
Excellent post as always xubrew

First of all, at least for me and I think this thread in general, the complaint is not the A-10 playing the Big East. It is UD not playing the Big East and the rumors which appear to be true so far that the Big East refuses to schedule UD. For the most part I do not care who the rest of the A-10 schedules (as long as it not dragging down the RPI across the entire A-10)

Agree on the ETSU game, very well played by UD and I have no problem with a few buy games against quality teams who will be at the top of their conference. I understand and have no problem with UD having the game with a D2 school. In my example, I should have used VMI and their 300+ RPI.
Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-16-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 02:33 PM

Thanked 6,616 Times in 3,023 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 224 View Post
As an example, look at these comparable schools versus teams on our schedule: Schedule OU (projected RPI 84) instead of East Tenn St (projected RPI 77). Or Akron (projected RPI 90) instead of Winthrop (projected RPI 100). Youngstown State (projected RPI 264) over Austin Peay (projected RPI 256). Or literally anyone over RPI anchor VMI (projected 346). Miami is projected at 286, would you rather not play them?
To beat a dead horse, the East Tennessee State and Winthrop games were buy games (and pretty good ones). I'm not sure whether you are suggesting that OU and Akron (and Miami) would be willing to play us in buy games, or that we should give them home-and-homes. And I'm guessing we purposely scheduled a weak team for Dec 23, since we play Vanderbilt on Dec 21. It's tough to squeeze games in around Christmas, especially with the A-10 schedule starting Dec 30. Also, I believe we normally try to schedule a weak team the Saturday after finals, but the Northwestern game was too good to turn down.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:55 PM

longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Dayton no plays 18 conference games. They were in an exempt tournament this year, which means they're now down to nine OOC (exempt tournaments mean you play 27 games in addition to the exempt event). Of those nine, seven were home games and five were buy games. The ones that weren't were Alabama, Saint Mary's, Northwestern, and Vanderbilt. Now, if that's how they choose to schedule, then great. But, the real reason they may not be able to get Big East teams to play them is because of how much they've chosen to limit themselves. If you feel you need that many home games, then which of those four non-buy games do you replace with a BE opponent??

Hmmmm....it's just too bad that there isn't an obvious solution to this problem. If only there was some way for these two schools who's fans are complaining about their OOC schedules to come up with a way to work together to perhaps fix that.
I think we easily would have given up Alabama or Vanderbilt for, say, Georgetown. Some of our home-and-homes come about because we can't get teams like Georgetown, and it seems SEC schools will schedule us. As for your last comment, that is more or less how the St Mary's series came about. We needed a good game and apparently Neil convinced St Mary's that they also needed a good game. And we may have approached St Mary's because we couldn't get a team like Georgetown (just using them as an example because they are a big name in the Big East who apparently won't play us).
Old 12-15-2016, 03:21 PM

The Big East is in its fourth season under its current format. In that time, they've played 29 games against A10 teams.
I'm wondering how many of those have been against UD.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:02 PM

UC will not play. XU will not play.

It is what it is.

Move along.
Mad Props to Sea Bass For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-16-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 04:35 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
I think we easily would have given up Alabama or Vanderbilt for, say, Georgetown. Some of our home-and-homes come about because we can't get teams like Georgetown, and it seems SEC schools will schedule us. As for your last comment, that is more or less how the St Mary's series came about. We needed a good game and apparently Neil convinced St Mary's that they also needed a good game. And we may have approached St Mary's because we couldn't get a team like Georgetown (just using them as an example because they are a big name in the Big East who apparently won't play us).
Saying Georgetown won't play Dayton because they don't want to is actually entirely believable. Georgetown won't play GW either, which is a shame. Georgetown was in the Maui, and locked into the Gavitt Games match-up against Maryland, and locked into playing Syracuse. Of their seven remaining games, six were home buy games, which is how they like to schedule.

Saying Georgetown won't play Dayton because the Big East league office is telling the Big East to not play Atlantic Ten teams, or specifically not to play Dayton is the kind of thing that people say as they're reaching for their tin foil hats. Of the seven remaining games that they weren't locked into, six were buy games (as mentioned earlier), and the other was against La Salle, who's an A10 team.

When you're playing an eighteen game conference schedule, and playing in an exempt tournament, and have a set number of home games that you feel you must play, that doesn't leave a whole lot of flexibility, especially if the teams you're trying to schedule have the same limited flexibility, which most of the Big East does.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:22 PM
Captain

LI2UD2PA is a name known to allLI2UD2PA is a name known to allLI2UD2PA is a name known to allLI2UD2PA is a name known to allLI2UD2PA is a name known to allLI2UD2PA is a name known to all
Are there any A10 schools that see Dayton as their rivalry game? St Louis seems to be "up" for the Dayton game, have they seen us as a rival and we have not recipricated?
Old 12-15-2016, 05:56 PM

Thanked 2,377 Times in 809 Posts
The Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond repute
I'm wondering how many of those have been against UD.
I can think of only two: Providence (win; NCAA tourney) and Xavier (loss; in-season exempt tourney). Obviously neither was scheduled.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:03 PM
Academy Doolie

slysyl is a jewel in the roughslysyl is a jewel in the roughslysyl is a jewel in the rough
Most A10 schools are located on or near the east coast they don't want to recognize middle America, UD or ST L.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:41 PM

This year is projecting to about be UC's 2nd worst sos since 1994...sos of about 68.

Last edited by ud2; 12-15-2016 at 06:47 PM..
Old 12-16-2016, 10:14 AM
Captain

To beat a dead horse, the East Tennessee State and Winthrop games were buy games (and pretty good ones). I'm not sure whether you are suggesting that OU and Akron (and Miami) would be willing to play us in buy games, or that we should give them home-and-homes. And I'm guessing we purposely scheduled a weak team for Dec 23, since we play Vanderbilt on Dec 21. It's tough to squeeze games in around Christmas, especially with the A-10 schedule starting Dec 30. Also, I believe we normally try to schedule a weak team the Saturday after finals, but the Northwestern game was too good to turn down.
I'm suggesting we play at least one somewhat local school a year. Between Austin Peay, Winthrop, ETSU, D2 St Joes, and VMI we could have swapped one of those buy games for Youngstown St, Bowling Green, Miami, Toledo, Akron, Kent St, Cleveland St, NKU, etc. Each of those schools is comparable to one of the buy game teams in RPI rankings.

I guarantee you they'd sell more tickets to a Saturday afternoon UD v Ohio game than what they did versus ETSU. Ohio is a top 100 program, just like ETSU. Sell even 200 more tickets, plus food, beer, etc -- it's a win-win for everyone. Same goes for VMI on 12/23. A comparable bad team like Miami will be more engaging for the fan base and generate more revenue for the school, while still accomplishing their scheduling goals.
Mad Props to 224 For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDTradition (12-17-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 10:31 AM

jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
I'm suggesting we play at least one somewhat local school a year. Between Austin Peay, Winthrop, ETSU, D2 St Joes, and VMI we could have swapped one of those buy games for Youngstown St, Bowling Green, Miami, Toledo, Akron, Kent St, Cleveland St, NKU, etc. Each of those schools is comparable to one of the buy game teams in RPI rankings.

I guarantee you they'd sell more tickets to a Saturday afternoon UD v Ohio game than what they did versus ETSU. Ohio is a top 100 program, just like ETSU. Sell even 200 more tickets, plus food, beer, etc -- it's a win-win for everyone. Same goes for VMI on 12/23. A comparable bad team like Miami will be more engaging for the fan base and generate more revenue for the school, while still accomplishing their scheduling goals.
How do you know Ohio U or Miami would take a buy game?
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
longtimefan (12-16-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
How do you know Ohio U or Miami would take a buy game?
Those schools regularly take buy games...I agree that local opponents are more interesting.

Ohio State football started playing 1 Ohio school per year about 15? years ago to keep the money in the state.
Old 12-16-2016, 11:08 AM
Major General

Those schools regularly take buy games...I agree that local opponents are more interesting.

Ohio State football started playing 1 Ohio school per year about 15? years ago to keep the money in the state.
I am pretty sure Miami isn't so willing to take a buy game with us, considering our history and the fact we just came off a H&H with them.
longtimefan (12-16-2016), ud2 (12-17-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 11:43 AM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Can you list the last 5 games Ohio University was bought for?

I'll wait awhile while you figure that out....
Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
longtimefan (12-16-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 11:50 AM
Major General

Originally Posted by Figgie123 View Post

Since the arrival of Saul Phillips it's probably zero. I know they played at Georgia Tech this year, and that may have been a buy game, but I bet it was scheduled reluctantly.
Mad Props to xubrew For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (12-16-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 12:15 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Since the arrival of Saul Phillips it's probably zero. I know they played at Georgia Tech this year, and that may have been a buy game, but I bet it was scheduled reluctantly.
I knew the number was almost zero (GTech?), but ud2 said they "regularly do buy games." I wanted ud2 to do research to prove himself wrong.
Old 12-16-2016, 12:56 PM

It appears you missed the entire point of my post and didn't answer the main question, but I see that jack72, eagle, and Figgie have already pointed that out.
Old 12-17-2016, 07:47 AM
Captain

It appears you missed the entire point of my post and didn't answer the main question, but I see that jack72, eagle, and Figgie have already pointed that out.
I didn't miss your point. I just fail to see how you made one?

If you want to make a point, please list the reason that not a single D1 school in Ohio is on our schedule--and please go school by school. If Miami or OU don't want buy games, then great. But we played BGSU in a buy game a couple years ago. And there are 11 other D1 schools in Ohio.

Ohio State, Xavier, Cincinnati, Miami, Wright State, Akron, Ohio, Youngstown St, Bowling Green, Toledo, Kent State, Cleveland State. 12 D1 schools. How are we not able to play one
Old 12-17-2016, 07:57 AM
Captain

Ohio State, Xavier, Cincinnati, Miami, Wright State, Akron, Ohio, Youngstown St, Bowling Green, Toledo, Kent State, Cleveland State-- and us. 13 D1 schools in Ohio.

What I would love to see is an 'Ohio Basketball Event' every year featuring exclusively Ohio teams, similar to what Indiana does with the Crossroads classic. Or comparable to the Chicago tournament we are in today that features 2 Illinois based teams.

Hold the event at Nationwide Arena on the weekend before Xmas just like these other tournaments, and have 4 games--2 sessions. Afternoon session can be "B level teams" with 4 teams that rotate each year between Wright St, Miami, Cleveland State, Kent State, Youngstown St, BGSU, Toledo, Akron, Ohio. Each year 2 MAC schools play 2 Horizon schools.

Then in the evening session, "A level" teams Dayton, Cincy, X and OSU play. Each year it rotates on who plays who.

This honestly seems like a no brainer. You have the inclusion of 6 conferences, huge revenue generator, fun for the community and great for scheduling for all teams.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:21 AM

I didn't miss your point. I just fail to see how you made one?

If you want to make a point, please list the reason that not a single D1 school in Ohio is on our schedule--and please go school by school. If Miami or OU don't want buy games, then great. But we played BGSU in a buy game a couple years ago. And there are 11 other D1 schools in Ohio.

Ohio State, Xavier, Cincinnati, Miami, Wright State, Akron, Ohio, Youngstown St, Bowling Green, Toledo, Kent State, Cleveland State. 12 D1 schools. How are we not able to play one
Why is it important to play an Ohio School? UD schedules for RPI and making the NCAA, not playing recognizable names to Ohio residents.

I don't believe UD has a problem selling tickets. There is a problem getting students to games, but playing Bowling Green will not fix that.

A few years ago, I could get student tickets over Christmas break, but not this year. Fans care about name recognition, but only as a secondary factor, when it comes to UD basketball.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (12-17-2016), m21eagle45 (12-17-2016)
Old 12-17-2016, 12:07 PM

I knew the number was almost zero (GTech?), but ud2 said they "regularly do buy games." I wanted ud2 to do research to prove himself wrong.
Yes, you may be right, I will look into it.

OU might be a candidate for a home and home...a 2 for 1 seems like a good deal.

4 out of the last 5 years have been sub-100 in the rpi.

A game in Athens would be an enjoyable road trip.

Ohio Bobcats RPI History

Season Record RPI Rank SOS Rank
2015-2016 rpi 81 sos 101
2014-2015 10-20 0.4653 231 0.5267 97
2013-2014 22-11 0.5480 87 0.5152 124
2012-2013 24-9 0.5590 67 0.5007 146
2011-2012 26-7 0.5782 46 0.4967 165
2010-2011 18-15 0.4978 163 0.4982 161
2009-2010 20-14 0.5420 95 0.5264 113
2008-2009 15-17 0.4882 184 0.4926 165
2007-2008 19-12 0.5526 76 0.5208 109
2006-2007 18-13 0.5351 105 0.5120 122
2005-2006 18-11 0.5384 99 0.5085 140
2004-2005 21-10 0.5693 48 0.5194 114
2003-2004 10-20 0.4569 231 0.4981 155
2002-2003 14-16 0.5076 141 0.5213 99
2001-2002 17-11 0.5183 115 0.4887 180
2000-2001 18-11 0.5306 109 0.5005 136
1999-2000 20-13 0.5484 73 0.5292 92
1998-1999 17-10 0.5512 73 0.5250 97
1997-1998 5-21 0.4262 251 0.5042 128
1996-1997 16-10 0.5332 94 0.5058 122
1995-1996 15-14 0.5157 111 0.5151 113
1994-1995 22-9 0.5764 43 0.5319 75
1993-1994 23-7 0.5813 31 0.5195 93
Old 12-17-2016, 12:32 PM

I doubt that UD wants to start doing home and homes with MAC schools.

Akron would seem to be the best MAC school.

Akron Zips RPI History

Season Record RPI Rank SOS Rank
2015-2016 rpi 34 sos 122
2014-2015 20-14 0.5265 115 0.5130 121
2013-2014 21-12 0.5430 93 0.5089 137
2012-2013 25-6 0.5906 42 0.5134 131
2011-2012 21-11 0.5744 55 0.5382 81
2010-2011 22-12 0.5345 107 0.4905 180
2009-2010 23-10 0.5457 89 0.5018 158
2008-2009 22-12 0.5367 99 0.4891 174
2007-2008 23-10 0.5529 75 0.5082 135
2006-2007 25-7 0.5679 67 0.4883 178
2005-2006 21-9 0.5604 70 0.4972 159
2004-2005 18-10 0.5545 70 0.5151 118
2003-2004 13-15 0.4737 201 0.4768 207
2002-2003 13-14 0.4866 182 0.4883 173
2001-2002 9-21 0.4641 223 0.5188 110
2000-2001 12-16 0.4793 190 0.4962 147
1999-2000 16-11 0.5224 125 0.4990 155
1998-1999 17-9 0.5335 99 0.4934 146
1997-1998 16-10 0.5091 135 0.4737 197
1996-1997 7-18 0.4441 228 0.4989 137
1995-1996 2-23 0.3966 287 0.5021 138
1994-1995 7-18 0.4529 206 0.5106 116
1993-1994 7-18 0.4191 254 0.4655 226
© 1994-2011 by Palm Sports Resources, Inc. All rights reserved.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:58 AM

1. 2013-2014 at Ohio State
2. 2013-2014 at NC Asheville

http://realtimerpi.com/2013-2014/rpi_271_Men.html

3. 2012-2013 at Memphis
4. 2012-2013 at Oklahoma
5. 2012-2013 at UMass

http://realtimerpi.com/2012-2013/rpi_271_Men.html

There are several other games where OU was bought if you go back and look at seasons before 2012-2013.

Appears to be true, GT might be the only buy game under Phillips that I can find. But, OU played at GT in 2016-2017, so GT might be playing at OU this year.

Well ok, I was wrong about very recent history, but I was right about longer-term history.

Yes, you may be right, I will look into it.
I wanted to look this up.

Last edited by ud2; 05-15-2017 at 10:02 AM..
Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (05-15-2017)
Old 05-15-2017, 12:15 PM
I Am A Statistical God

2. 2013-2014 at NC Asheville

5. 2012-2013 at UMass
NC Asheville @ Ohio 2/18/2012
Ohio @ NC Asheville 1/4/2014

Ohio @ Massachusetts 12/19/2012
Massachusetts @ Ohio 12/18/2013

But, yes, around 5 years ago are the last times they were bought. (Well, before GTech, maybe ...)
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
m21eagle45 (05-15-2017), ud2 (05-15-2017), Widget (05-15-2017)
Old 05-15-2017, 12:55 PM
Major General

NC Asheville @ Ohio 2/18/2012
Ohio @ NC Asheville 1/4/2014

Ohio @ Massachusetts 12/19/2012
Massachusetts @ Ohio 12/18/2013

But, yes, around 5 years ago are the last times they were bought. (Well, before GTech, maybe ...)
Thanks Figgie. I didn't think those 2 were buys but didn't want to look it up.

Last edited by m21eagle45; 05-15-2017 at 12:58 PM..
Figgie123 (05-15-2017), ud2 (05-15-2017)
Old 05-15-2017, 10:33 PM

Yeah, I completely overlooked the UMass at OU game, I am not sure how I missed that.

The NC Asheville game was in January at Asheville, I assumed that the MAC schedule started by then...and the NC Asheville series was not played in back-to-back years, it was played in 2011-2012 at OU and 2013-2014 at Asheville, so I am going to use those 2 things as excuses for missing that game, lol.

Last edited by ud2; 05-15-2017 at 10:47 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (05-16-2017), m21eagle45 (05-16-2017)