User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 01-12-2016, 01:27 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
Archie's Couch

I found the Archie Miller radio show quite revealing last night. Archie admitted the Flyers are in a bit of a down turn and implied that it has more to do with what's between their ears than basketball skills. It caused this observer to get in the hot air balloon to rise above it all and gain a new perspective. My interpretation of Archie's comments is that the True Team of a year ago is suffering through some chemistry issues as new roles continue to be defined.
The guy who roamed the paint last year has been displaced by the Big Guy in the middle. The former big guy who was replicating Roosevelt Chapman with spins, dunks and short j's is now a perimeter dude. Treys are clanking and foul shots are missed. The best point guard in the A-10 a year ago is showing signs of fatigue (more mental than physical) because of the demise of the UD running game perhaps? The emphasis is on "D" at the rim and rebounding and yet this year's team trails opponents in rebounding by 3 15 games into the season. Perhaps Archie's midgets from a year ago are wondering why the taller bunch cannot rebound and defend as well as the midgets did a year ago. We have gone big for 21 minutes a game and what has it produced? Inconsistency at both ends of the court? When Mr. Big gets into foul trouble and his rebounding and defense take a seat on the bench it is replaced with a poorer defender and rebounder instead of by smaller and quicker.
Archie may have a couch but he is a coach and not a psychiatrist. Hopefully this coach can
settle on a lineup that produces consistently high quality results. His vision for this team clearly features a Big Guy in the middle. It remains to be seen whether or not True Team buys into his vision.
Mad Props to Alberto Strasse For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (01-13-2016)
Advertisement
Old 01-12-2016, 01:42 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Last year he did say it was easier to coach with less guys especially when 1 of the 7 that played was a former walk on and another was a freshman. As the saying goes, that is why he gets paid the big $$s.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:42 PM
Major

flybye is infamous around these parts
Agree, heard the same thing. he seemed worried last nite. Said they need to play and have more fun with each other. Feeling the pressure of being hunted.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:46 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Archie said last year that it was somewhat easier to coach when you only have 7 players to use. I'm sure it's also easier for players to settle into their roles that way also. You have to believe that a player gets more comfortable when he's asked to do the same things through 37 minutes on the floor rather than changing it up when different dynamics are constantly entered into the equation.

This team should resemble the team from 2 years ago more than it does the team from last season. Big differences right now is your big men are all first year players and your returning players are getting their minutes cut. This means you have not only inexperience under the basket, you have inexperience with the returning players on the court at the same time as the first year players(other than Baby D last year) for a very large percentage of their minutes.

This is why things are not flowing smoothly IMO and you just hope that it gets better and better as they get more experience with each other through the season.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:01 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,005 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
The chemistry has obviously become an issue. The Sunday article in the DDN where Archie basically called out Kyle and Scoochie followed by the radio show leave little doubt there is some dissension in the ranks. A few poster on this board that are a little closer to the program have implied that there are issues.

It seemed as if last years team was Jordans team and he kept things pointed in the right direction, this years team has had issues on offense from the start. The passing and ball movement has not been as good as the past few years and their offensive efficiency numbers show it. Some have become ball stoppers and it times it seems as if players are more interested in "getting theirs" instead of playing as a team.

Roles have changed and their are less minutes for almost everyone. I have no idea what is going on internally but Kendall has obviously struggled with adjusting to playing with Steve and Scoochie's play has taken a nosedive the last month. One thing I noticed in warmups is the fact that when they come out about 4 minutes before tipoff Scooch will quit going thru after a few rounds and shoot treys from the corner along the baseline while everyone else continues to go through the layup line. Maybe it is nothing but it has bothered me the from the first time I saw it. His PT has gone down as his play is dropped and honestly it is too early in the season for a junior who played a ton of minutes last year to be plagued by physical and mental fatigue. Darrell Davis shot so well from the perimeter last year because he took good threes, this year he has just been chucking them up. Way to many quick threes not created from inside out play are being taken and is long as that is the case they will continue to miss a high percentage.

IMO these next two games are going to be a barometer for the rest of the season.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Sea Bass For This Totally Excellent Post:
Alberto Strasse (01-12-2016), Flyer 86 (01-12-2016), Smitty10 (01-12-2016)
Old 01-12-2016, 03:23 PM
Colonel

Furio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant futureFurio has a brilliant future
Alberto your rebounding numbers are wrong.
rebound margin per game this season is +5.1 thru 15 games
versus -1.8 last season.

opponents2 pt fg percentage is down a well.
what is worse is the 3point fg defense this year
Mad Props to Furio For This Totally Excellent Post:
Alberto Strasse (01-12-2016)
Old 01-12-2016, 03:56 PM
General

Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Sea Bass View Post
The chemistry has obviously become an issue. The Sunday article in the DDN where Archie basically called out Kyle and Scoochie followed by the radio show leave little doubt there is some dissension in the ranks. A few poster on this board that are a little closer to the program have implied that there are issues.

It seemed as if last years team was Jordans team and he kept things pointed in the right direction, this years team has had issues on offense from the start. The passing and ball movement has not been as good as the past few years and their offensive efficiency numbers show it. Some have become ball stoppers and it times it seems as if players are more interested in "getting theirs" instead of playing as a team.

Roles have changed and their are less minutes for almost everyone. I have no idea what is going on internally but Kendall has obviously struggled with adjusting to playing with Steve and Scoochie's play has taken a nosedive the last month. One thing I noticed in warmups is the fact that when they come out about 4 minutes before tipoff Scooch will quit going thru after a few rounds and shoot treys from the corner along the baseline while everyone else continues to go through the layup line. Maybe it is nothing but it has bothered me the from the first time I saw it. His PT has gone down as his play is dropped and honestly it is too early in the season for a junior who played a ton of minutes last year to be plagued by physical and mental fatigue. Darrell Davis shot so well from the perimeter last year because he took good threes, this year he has just been chucking them up. Way to many quick threes not created from inside out play are being taken and is long as that is the case they will continue to miss a high percentage.

IMO these next two games are going to be a barometer for the rest of the season.
Makes me wonder. A small group of 7 went through the wars together rather successfully. Probably became bonded in a way that's hard to understand. Since Big Steve and Cooke were also part of that war as far a preparation is concerned, maybe we have a somewhat click of 8 returning players. If just one of those returning players, especially one that actually played last season, is unhappy about something, it probably means the others have his back and also feel resentful. Could it be that some of the returning players don't like the fact that Williams and Miller get the call before Wehrli? Could it be that they don't like the fact that Crosby is getting more minutes every game taking minutes away from Baby D at PG in which was his job last season? Could it be that all of the returning starters feel that playing the small lineup of last season is the proven way to go?

I was concerned about this kind of thing happening after last season. We're talking about young men who got elevated to a star status last season that I would think would be hard to have taken away.
Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-12-2016)
Old 01-12-2016, 04:27 PM
General

Thanked 1,269 Times in 787 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
These issues occurred to me in watching the game Saturday. It's definitley chemistry issues to a very large degree.

Only explanation as to why Scooch appears listless and other guys are off.
Don't think it has anything to do with X and Miller getting time over Wehrli.

But as poster 1 and others hinted at. I think it has to do with

1) Big Steve's role
2) i love Cooke and he has great offensive skills. He just puts up crappy drives , not in the flow of the offense many times. I think players need to adjust to that - as he 's the main guy when it comes to driving the lane with meaning.

3) Pollard and Steve
4) DP still finding his mojo and gears and who's around him.

My Solutions.

1) While I love Steve, fouling is limiting him - and i think Arch should move more to a junior /senior focus. So once KP is fully healthy - START Him. Sit Steve.

DP and Kendall have history. Kendall gives us some meat and pushing inside.
Steve is around anyway, once it's time. Plus Steve is a frosh and it's starting to show

2) Lineup of KP, DP, Cooke, SS and Kyle is pretty well rounded. Small, yes.
Effective and has history - Big YES! Let's have the Juniors who've built this program up - take us to the promised land this year (with our Sr too , of course)!

3) Play X less. Miller is a necessity at times. I just hope he doesn't see AS MANY minutes as of late.
Miller takes us way out of Archie's offense as well. Can be effecive, yes at times. In the flow, definitiely NOT.

AGAIN, Steve, Sam and the rest have another 3 and half years. So let's not force the playing time.

Let's go Flyers!!!
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyer 86 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Buster Goode (01-13-2016), jack72 (01-13-2016), LI Flyer (01-13-2016), swish61 (01-12-2016)
Old 01-12-2016, 04:53 PM
General

Originally Posted by Flyer 86 View Post
These issues occurred to me in watching the game Saturday. It's definitley chemistry issues to a very large degree.

1) Big Steve's role
2) i love Cooke and he has great offensive skills. He just puts up crappy drives , not in the flow of the offense many times. I think players need to adjust to that - as he 's the main guy when it comes to driving the lane with meaning.

3) Pollard and Steve

My Solutions.

1) While I love Steve, fouling is limiting him - and i think Arch should move more to a junior /senior focus. So once KP is fully healthy - START Him. Sit Steve.

Steve is around anyway, once it's time. Plus Steve is a frosh and it's starting to show

Effective and has history - Big YES! Let's have the Juniors who've built this program up - take us to the promised land this year (with our Sr too , of course)!

3) Play X less. Miller is a necessity at times. I just hope he doesn't see AS MANY minutes as of late.
Miller takes us way out of Archie's offense as well. Can be effecive, yes at times. In the flow, definitiely NOT.

AGAIN, Steve, Sam and the rest have another 3 and half years. So let's not force the playing time.

Let's go Flyers!!!
I actually thought that sitting Steve was the respectful move to make. Let the Juniors and Seniors start the game. Doesn't really matter as the minutes will probably remain the same as Pollard will get in foul trouble and Pierre will need rest. Obviously the first person off the bench will be Steve. I also think it could cut down on Steve's fouls as I think if you sit him for the first few minutes, teams would be less likely to target him for fouls.

One way or another, this team has to get used to play at least half a game with Big Steve out there. That's on them, not Big Steve.
Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-12-2016)
Old 01-12-2016, 05:14 PM

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,005 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
the ORtg and DRtg for the team show two things. Flyer offense needs Cooke, Flyer defense needs Steve.

Kendall needs to figure out how to play with Steve. On defense that means better perimeter defending and rebounding. On offense that means not trying to bull his way to basket when no gap is there. Kendall has struggled to adjust to his different role at both ends.

I have no clue as to the reason for the listless offensive play from Scoochie but the quality of his play must improve or this team is going to lose a lot of games over the next 2 months.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:19 PM

runnerup is a name known to allrunnerup is a name known to allrunnerup is a name known to allrunnerup is a name known to allrunnerup is a name known to allrunnerup is a name known to all
I agree sit Steve. KP looks out of position. Archie seems giddy talking about his big man but something is amiss and he's the new starter.
Mad Props to runnerup For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-12-2016)
Old 01-12-2016, 05:48 PM

Thanked 4,603 Times in 2,849 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Chemistry, chemistry, chemistry...

Remember when DP was out and all was well...how many Priders were licking their chops...."Just wait until DP returns...we're gonna be sensational". Well, he's back...and we ain't.
Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
LI Flyer (01-12-2016)
Old 01-12-2016, 06:01 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,461 Times in 612 Posts
UD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond reputeUD90 has a reputation beyond repute
A group of 11 lost five in a row in January and made it to the Elite 8. We may take a few on the chin the next week or two, but I trust this will be Archie's best team come March. Too much talent and too much battle tested experience in the junior class. I trust that Kyle, Scoochie, and Kendall will pull us through any "chemistry" issues.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UD90 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (01-13-2016), ClaytonFlyerFan (01-12-2016), Smitty10 (01-13-2016)
Old 01-12-2016, 06:46 PM

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
Looks like they may get to try Davidson without Cooke.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-12-2016, 07:50 PM
General

Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDDoug View Post
Looks like they may get to try Davidson without Cooke.
Posted via Mobile Device
say What? Injury or sick?
Old 01-12-2016, 07:52 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,409 Times in 577 Posts
anthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond repute
Injury. Major bummer.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:00 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,388 Times in 620 Posts
AC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond repute
i think it is easy to forget that there are 6 new faces - that is half of the roster! - on the team, plus a seventh in cunningham. add to that the entire Dyshawn isn't here, now he is here, and anyone who didn't think there would be bumps in the road just didn't think things through. I was at the mess on saturday and there was simply an indecisiveness on offense (which is creating frustration that carries over to defense) that is hamstringing this team. we saw more of it in the first half yesterday. They started loosening up in the second half yesterday but, we still are learning how to keep the pedal to the medal and close it out strong. i think i understand what archie is trying to say. there are a lot of new and inexperienced faces on our team and only a handful of experienced upperclassmen who understand what effort it takes on every play to be successful. And I think that final push needs to come from the upperclassmen - there is only so much the coach can say. Scooch, Kendall, Kyle and Dyshawn need to do their part in making sure the newcomers understand this. otherwise we will see some more ups and downs - like a 30 point win followed by a headscratching loss -until these kids realize the constant effort it takes to sustain success.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to AC91 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (01-13-2016), Garson (01-13-2016), Glen Clark (01-13-2016)
Old 01-13-2016, 09:54 AM
General

Kudos to Archie for starting KP. I mean do ya think Steve really minds

Much more energy and smartness on the Floor. SS had his legs and game on. KD was IN THE ZONE....DP is back to normal. KP with a good not great game

.As its KP AND I BASICALLY diagrammed it above, I'd like to see my Invitation to tbe Round Table of Knighthood.

Last edited by Flyer 86; 01-13-2016 at 11:49 AM..
Mad Props to Flyer 86 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (01-13-2016)
Old 01-13-2016, 10:26 AM

Thanked 10,173 Times in 5,901 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer 86 View Post

1) Big Steve's role

3) Pollard and Steve

My Solutions.

Let's go Flyers!!!
I had to take a double take on the time of this post. It is like you are in Archie's head, or are Archie, hmm. Anyway great post!
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-13-2016)
Old 01-13-2016, 11:52 AM
General

As an outsider (living in NY) I've seen the past 2 years that DP and KP have great chemistry from simply watching on the television. They made one of those great layup passes last night. Their spacing and reads where they should be on the blocks or foul line are simply intuitive and smart!

Even Big Steve moved the ball well , when they collapsed.

Arch is a risk taker with lineups. It all came home to roost at LaSalle. Tried stuff early in the year. Time to quit some of that and reduce to an 8 or 9 man roster.

Last point, imagine if DD hit 2 to 3 more shoots. Then we'd be where we are last year. I had no fear against any team last year.

This year, we are getting there. We're at 88 on the 100 point meter. Room for improvement.

I didn't know Coach Miller would take ALL the solutions. But certainly hoped he took 2 or 3 of the biggies!
Old 01-13-2016, 12:47 PM
General

Thanked 5,460 Times in 2,387 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
It's a crying shame but it looks to me like some players are resentful of Steve starting and being a focus. We're a better team when he's in there and playing well, but that + $5 will buy you a cup of coffee at Starbucks. If that's what it takes to make the team more effective, start KD.

The players have to buy in or the system won't work no matter how well designed.

Also, we're just the gang that can't shoot straight right now. If our shooting picks up it will cure a lot of ills. Davidson clearly had a game plan to go under the screens and dare us to shoot. Most of our 3's we're completely wide open (not always good shots, but not contested at all). You don't get that many wide open 3's unless the opponent is just daring you to make them. In the second half they started to fall and we looked like world beaters on offense all of the sudden.

Every game we've lost, we've shot under 30% from 3. In the games we've won we've shot under 30% from 3 twice, Monmouth and Duquesne. In both of those games we dominated points in the paint.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
AC91 (01-13-2016), Figgie123 (01-13-2016)
Old 01-13-2016, 12:55 PM
Captain

31770 is a jewel in the rough31770 is a jewel in the rough31770 is a jewel in the rough
Archie's Couch:

Link