User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 01-03-2020, 09:13 AM
General

Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,372 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
LaSalle observations

-LaSalle at 9-3 thought they had a fighting chance. So did I. Wow. We're not going to make a lot of friends this year running up scores like this.

-But I love that AG is able to keep the intensity up. How many teams can win by consistent margins of victory like this? It's extremely difficult. Bad habits form, guys showboat, they take a defensive play off. I'm really impressed by whatever AG is telling these guys, by the senior leadership, and by the maturity of the whole team.

-Obi is not a good rebounder. I'm not saying we cut him, it's just a fact, there's 1 aspect of the game he does poorly. He turns his head and tries to out jump guys. And he doesn't love to fight big guys for position. Is that box score right??? 17 offensive rebounds?!?! Good god, man, that's a month worth of offensive rebounds. Go ahead, keep disagreeing with me, but our rebounding problems are because of our best player. Sure, at some point we were up 30, and it's natural (but not preferable) for someone at Obi's level to turn it on and off. But it ain't good.

-I love Jordy's effort. Yes, he's got warts. Could someone take the iron gloves off his hands? But there's no dropoff in energy when he comes on the court. I hope he continues to improve his game--please.

-Ryan Mikesell's +/- was 29 last night. Think about how that's even possible. 11/7/3/2 and he was at +29.

-Rodney needs to get his stoke back.

-Crutcher committed a foul in the first 2:00 of the game, and finished with 1 foul.

-5 guys in double figures, and our starting PG had 9. The offense looked really good moving the ball around and never got selfish or sloppy.

-I wish AG would go with his normal rotation for 30 minutes in a game like this, and then totally call off the dogs. At the 30 minute mark we were up 31! Get Cohill 10 straight minutes of PT along with Matos, sub in the walkons for breaks. It scares the heck out of me to see Crutcher and Obi flying through the air when we're up 30. I know margin of victory matters in the new formula, but you know what matters a lot more? No losing Obi and Crutcher to a season ending injury.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cityengr (01-04-2020), CvilleFlyer (01-03-2020), San Diego Flyer (01-03-2020)
Advertisement
Old 01-03-2020, 09:41 AM
Major General

Phinhead54 is a splendid one to beholdPhinhead54 is a splendid one to beholdPhinhead54 is a splendid one to beholdPhinhead54 is a splendid one to beholdPhinhead54 is a splendid one to beholdPhinhead54 is a splendid one to beholdPhinhead54 is a splendid one to behold
Jordy looked like he moved better yesterday than I've seen him move up to this point. He still needs to play up to his size when he gets the ball in the low post. Lots of hooks and fade aways, if he can develop some real power moves, he'll be a force.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:57 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with your points for the most part. Think Obi is not interested in being a stat hog.
He defers to Mikesell and Landers when rebounding. The offensive rebounding numbers were a little watered down last night. Several sequences had their big moose recording anywhere from 2 to 4 OR's because he was wide enough to tip the ball but not secure it and finish. Each tip is a rebound. But still, we just don't value OR's. Some players are standing around watching too much. I feel that AG has our guards releasing because he wants to push the ball as much as possible. It's crazy that we can give up 17 offensive rebounds and still hold them to 58 points and a margin of 26 points. It's a mystery that we can live with against bottom feeders. Against the contenders not so much.

Bottom line I think Obi chooses to not spend energy on rebounding when he has two hungry forwards going hard to the boards.

One other note. Rodney needs to let the game come to him for change. It's nice to be the best defender in (name your country), but not if you are on the pine within 3 minutes of tip-off.
Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Radar (01-03-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 10:00 AM

Thanked 10,123 Times in 5,859 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
-

-Obi is not a good rebounder. I'm not saying we cut him, it's just a fact, there's 1 aspect of the game he does poorly. He turns his head and tries to out jump guys. And he doesn't love to fight big guys for position. Is that box score right??? 17 offensive rebounds?!?! Good god, man, that's a month worth of offensive rebounds. Go ahead, keep disagreeing with me, but our rebounding problems are because of our best player. Sure, at some point we were up 30, and it's natural (but not preferable) for someone at Obi's level to turn it on and off. But it ain't good.

-I wish AG would go with his normal rotation for 30 minutes in a game like this, and then totally call off the dogs. At the 30 minute mark we were up 31! Get Cohill 10 straight minutes of PT along with Matos, sub in the walkons for breaks. It scares the heck out of me to see Crutcher and Obi flying through the air when we're up 30. I know margin of victory matters in the new formula, but you know what matters a lot more? No losing Obi and Crutcher to a season ending injury.
After the first 26 minutes LaSalle had 12 total rebounds. They got a bunch on both ends after we psychologically called off the dogs once we were up 31. We shot and rebounded poorly in the last 15 minutes.

Glad Grant is coaching, and did not take out the starters. Poor coaching can turn 30 point leads into 10, at a D1 level, in the blink of an eye. Putting in Cohill, Matos and 3 walkons for the last ten minutes would have been a huge mistake.
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Clear Prop (01-03-2020), CvilleFlyer (01-03-2020), IAFlyer (01-03-2020), San Diego Flyer (01-03-2020), steve (01-03-2020), Viperstick (01-03-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 10:10 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
AG is sending periodic reminders to the team that conference play has started...and is different. Larry and Keith noted that during a pre game practice in Philly, AG yanked a starter (not named) off the floor. The message: "if you're not interested in playing defense then you must not be interested in playing."
Old 01-03-2020, 10:14 AM

Thanked 1,650 Times in 838 Posts
Canonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond repute
Offense looks good and the guys continue to share the ball. Obi continues to impress with his ability to run the court and pass the ball. He's the real deal. Sometimes he takes some ill advised heat checks from deep but when you're the man, you can get away with it. He can knock them down and when he does, I don't know how an opponent tries to defend him.

One thing the Flyers are going to need is for Tshimanga to start anticipating on the defensive end. I think he moves really well for a big man, he's much quicker than you think, but he's always reacting rather than anticipating and he gets in trouble trying to make up for it with his hands. Got to have his presence to make a deep run, otherwise the Flyers will need a lucky draw (i.e. don't end up with Kansas like team in round 2, SS). With Tshimanga contributing with Obi on the bench and less of a drop when we go to the bench, the sky is the limit with this group. Would be nice to see a bit more consistency with Chatman. Some possessions I get it, other possessions he leaves me wondering what he was seeing.

Colorado knocked off #4 Oregon last night. How they're not ranked yet is beyond me. The Flyers two losses are in OT to tournament ready teams.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:23 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

keats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond repute
Was really glad to see Jordy out there for extended minutes with other starters. He was able to work in that environment. And clearly Obi was looking for Jordy. Need to continue that, as Jordy is the best next option for inside play if Obi is sitting/out/etc.

I agree with prioritizing Jordy as next man to mesh in. But realized last night that it's just not the same as putting in Jordy with Matos with Cohill all together. Too many guys with either limited offense or current limited roles. Leads to too many uncertainties to get steady play. But I am convinced that we will need either Matos or Cohill or both at some future game. And hate to seem them struggle strictly due to no rhythm (game time). Hope we see some combinations of those 3 on Sunday (due to being up so big).
Old 01-03-2020, 11:11 AM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
My observations:

1)Total ass kicking
2)Thought Obi rebounded better
3)Jordy improving
4)Still sloppy with the ball at times
5)Crutch still likes to fly solo in the last 20 seconds of a half
6)Cohill played like a person who is beginning to feel the discomfort of limited minutes...tried to do far too much.
Old 01-03-2020, 12:12 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,324 Times in 443 Posts
Runnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond repute
Wish Grant would have matched Jordy up more against LaSalle's big man (dude was punking Obi down low). I believe Jordy could have walled up that guy - no easy layups anyway.
Old 01-03-2020, 12:30 PM
Colonel

Flyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant future
Smile

Originally Posted by Runnin' Rebel View Post
Wish Grant would have matched Jordy up more against LaSalle's big man (dude was punking Obi down low). I believe Jordy could have walled up that guy - no easy layups anyway.
No easy lay-ups at least until Jordy fouls out. . .
Mad Props to Flyer69ers For This Totally Excellent Post:
Runnin' Rebel (01-03-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 01:00 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
As long as Obi can play entire games without getting in foul trouble, I'd prefer he not be battling that hard for rebounds because it's more important that we outscore the other team due to offense than defense and he makes the offense work.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ChrisInVenice (01-04-2020), fuz_forward (01-03-2020)