Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 12-18-2013, 11:41 AM
1st Lieutenant

udflyerfan is a jewel in the roughudflyerfan is a jewel in the roughudflyerfan is a jewel in the rough
Underrated??

Nice article that gives the Flyers major props............

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ght-now/page/6
13 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to udflyerfan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bat'71 (12-18-2013), Bob G (12-19-2013), Bonziflyer (12-18-2013), ClaytonFlyerFan (12-18-2013), GoFlyer (12-18-2013), Justin (12-18-2013), Lifelong Flyer Fan (12-18-2013), m21eagle45 (12-18-2013), mikeymo85 (12-18-2013), San Diego Flyer (12-18-2013), SC_Flyer (12-19-2013), UD Sam (12-18-2013), UDBaby (12-18-2013)
Advertisement
Old 12-18-2013, 01:10 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,603 Times in 2,849 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
True,...

Originally Posted by udflyerfan View Post

...but, unfortunately, ISU-type disappointments has become part of UD's DNA. We have got to demonstrate that things have changed by winning games we should win,....consistently. That is the mark of a good team.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:12 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,743 Times in 798 Posts
UDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond repute
"The public seemed to lose respect for Dayton when it suffered an inexplicable road loss to Illinois State on Dec. 7."

Inexplicable to everyone except the Flyer Faithful.....now where was I?
Oh yea, "another cup of Kool-Aid please."
Old 12-18-2013, 02:38 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,464 Times in 1,288 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UACFlyer View Post
...but, unfortunately, ISU-type disappointments has become part of UD's DNA. We have got to demonstrate that things have changed by winning games we should win,....consistently. That is the mark of a good team.
Agree UAC. We have done this year what we have done in the past. Get ranked and then lose to a team that, on paper at least, we should have beaten. Hard enough to get ranked, sad that we blow the opportunity again. May take us a while to get back there, if we ever do. Teams in the 20-25 rankings have good records and bypassing them will be tough. Teams in the 26-35 range are good also. Over the years we just can't stand prosperity, that hasn't changed yet. I'm not a fan of this "under the radar" stuff. Being ranked has so many advantages, we get our chances, just can't sustain the effort. AM will probably change that but we are 0 for one so far this year.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:36 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
This is absolutely correct. All teams are going to lose to teams they are better than. Those 3 games in Maui should hold more weight than the one loss to Illinois St. Sure we should've dropped out of the top 25, but to lose all our votes after winning both our games since the last poll, makes no sense.

And as for the poster bringing up how UD always does this, yes, we see it, but I doubt the voters do. They don't rank teams based on their previous years' history because they are I'm hoping, intelligent enough to know that every team is different from one year to the next.

Originally Posted by udflyerfan View Post

2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
m21eagle45 (12-18-2013), udstevied_D87 (12-18-2013)
Old 12-18-2013, 04:00 PM

Thanked 10,505 Times in 4,706 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
It's seems clear that the tabloids are giving the Flyers a virtual "pass" on the ISU loss. Prefering to rank the 3 Maui games as proof that we are better than folks thought at the beginning of the year. With a chance to be a LOT better.

But we won't get another free pass if we stumble again.
Old 12-18-2013, 04:15 PM
Lieutenant General

UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
This is absolutely correct. All teams are going to lose to teams they are better than. Those 3 games in Maui should hold more weight than the one loss to Illinois St. Sure we should've dropped out of the top 25, but to lose all our votes after winning both our games since the last poll, makes no sense.

And as for the poster bringing up how UD always does this, yes, we see it, but I doubt the voters do. They don't rank teams based on their previous years' history because they are I'm hoping, intelligent enough to know that every team is different from one year to the next.
I am not saying voters don't rank us due to our record in previous years. I am saying that once ranked we lose right away, and lose the ranking. We have done exactly that in past years and again this year. Hopefully we get another chance to do it right.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:06 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UD62 View Post
I am not saying voters don't rank us due to our record in previous years. I am saying that once ranked we lose right away, and lose the ranking. We have done exactly that in past years and again this year. Hopefully we get another chance to do it right.
And I'm saying who's "we"? The fans? Can't really blame us for doing it over and over. It's not the Coach because this is Archie's first time ranked. Price, Sibert, Pierre, Sanford, Robinson and Scott, this is their first time. Last time we were ranked, I believe Kavs and Devo were on the bench. Freshman? First time for them.

So no, there's no pattern here "we" haven't done this before.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (12-18-2013), oldfan (12-19-2013)
Old 12-18-2013, 06:33 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
And I'm saying who's "we"? The fans? Can't really blame us for doing it over and over. It's not the Coach because this is Archie's first time ranked. Price, Sibert, Pierre, Sanford, Robinson and Scott, this is their first time. Last time we were ranked, I believe Kavs and Devo were on the bench. Freshman? First time for them.

So no, there's no pattern here "we" haven't done this before.
We would be the individuals that have represented the UD men's basketball team this year and in the past. And as a fan of over 60 years I would like to be included as part of the "we". So parse your words any way you want. Fact is the team has done it in the past and did it again this year. Not blaming anyone. Just stating a fact.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:31 PM
General

Thanked 4,539 Times in 2,056 Posts
Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
So take out the word 'we' and put in the words 'the program'.
Simple.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:33 PM

Thanked 10,505 Times in 4,706 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with UD62, we, meaning our program as an entire body of work, has a history of not performing consistently well enough to stay ranked. Maybe the U didn't get a coach that can get us over the hump. Maybe the coach still hasn't got the right combination of healthy, skilled, veteran players to get the job done. Maybe the players still don't have enough recruiting stars after their name. Maybe our fans don't cheer loud enough. Whatever.

It's in the same ballpark as to why "we" don't win at Cintas.
When he was recruited, Matt said we will never lose to Xavier while he is at UD. Really.
How did that work out for US. We have fans who won't go to Cintas.

As a program there are hurdles we have encountered for decades that have repeated themselves all too often--winning one week after we are ranked, winning at Cintas, winning the A10, winning two consecutive NCAA games, .....

Mysteries that we need to collectively figure out. I like our coach, the team, and our attitude, maybe this is OUR year.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bat'71 (12-19-2013), toledodan (12-19-2013), UD Sam (12-18-2013)
Old 12-18-2013, 10:16 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

IndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
I would guess that nearly every team, if not every team, loses a game or more a year to a team they should beat on paper. I don't think it is something that only happens to UD.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:25 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by IndianaFlyer View Post
I would guess that nearly every team, if not every team, loses a game or more a year to a team they should beat on paper. I don't think it is something that only happens to UD.
I agree IF, but we seem to time a loss, whoever the opponent is, the week after we get ranked. It's hard enough to get there, it's a shame to give it up so quickly. Not down on the team or anything like that, just pointing out a tendency we seem to have over the years.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:44 PM

Thanked 1,645 Times in 683 Posts
Tony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond repute
Wow all this Debbie downer talk and we are 8 and 2. Yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery and today is a gift. Amen)
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Tony T 71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (12-19-2013), m21eagle45 (12-19-2013), oldfan (12-19-2013)