User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 06-07-2017, 02:04 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
2017-18 A10 Pairings

Home – Davidson, Fordham, George Washington, St. Bonaventure, Duquesne, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Saint Louis, VCU

Away – La Salle, George Mason, Richmond, Saint Joseph's, Duquesne, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Saint Louis, VCU

A10 Link
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (06-07-2017), ClaytonFlyerFan (06-07-2017), MNFats (06-08-2017), SC_Flyer (06-14-2017)
Advertisement
Old 06-07-2017, 02:17 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Figures, this should have been the year we get UMASS at home and we get doubled up with them.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:47 PM
General

Thanked 4,320 Times in 2,124 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
true, but we don't have to go to Bona as we get them only once, and if they are not the preseason favorite, then Rhody is and they are home & home. Sets up nicely for UD in my opinion.
Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (06-08-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 03:43 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 10,038 Times in 2,599 Posts
lhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond repute
I already have the game at Tom Gola as a Loss as it will happen like always lol

But seriously, not a bad schedule at all
Mad Props to lhsgolf19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (06-07-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 03:56 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

LI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant futureLI Flyer has a brilliant future
Am I missing something VCU SLU and URI twice, that a bit of a challenging A-10 schedule?
Old 06-07-2017, 03:58 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,244 Posts
C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
This schedule is horrible!!! UD needs to make the Big East let them join so we can play real teams!!! Ray Harper would be on the phone right now telling Bernadette where she can put the schedule she gave UD!!!
Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (06-07-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 04:13 PM
2nd Lieutenant

116 Chambers is a glorious beacon of light116 Chambers is a glorious beacon of light116 Chambers is a glorious beacon of light116 Chambers is a glorious beacon of light116 Chambers is a glorious beacon of light
Dang, I'm with C-Time on this one. We aren't being treated like back-to-back A10 Champs with UMass twice and only Bonnie's once. Gimme a break on UMass- they aren't a geographical rival so I don't get it. Heck, put St. Joe's in there to play twice, they are much close than UMass...

Puts more pressure on our Out of Conference schedule, which isn't looking that great.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:18 PM
Colonel

redbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud of
Put me in the camp who thinks that traditional, or at least recent, conference powers (especially ones who have roving eyes) are consulted on scheduling matters. Mind you, I have no basis for this. I just think that VCU and UD have probably been given chances in recent years to at least say whether they prefer a tougher or easier road in conference.

Remember, there are pros and cons to a schedule like this. Playing Duqesne, Mason, Fordham, etc twice a year allows for stacking of W's. But it wreaks havoc on the RPI and strength of schedule. And we know how tough it already is to schedule tough outside the conference. And it does seem that Grant has preferred a tougher to an easier schedule in his past stops from what I've read.

The thing that makes next year tough is, of course, the raw talent that lacks experience. We could be looking at anything from a 10-win team to a 25-win team. But if we pack it in and don't at least give the schedule a chance to make this team NCAA-worthy then we might as well coach toward March and trying to win the A10 Tourney.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:01 PM
Captain

AZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by lhsgolf19 View Post
I already have the game at Tom Gola as a Loss as it will happen like always lol

But seriously, not a bad schedule at all
Even worse is the game at Hagan at St Joes - I have no memory of of us ever winning at St Joes, and it's usually a humiliation. Anyone remember Archie saying "I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO"
Old 06-07-2017, 05:52 PM
1st Lieutenant

Shawnee2 is a glorious beacon of lightShawnee2 is a glorious beacon of lightShawnee2 is a glorious beacon of lightShawnee2 is a glorious beacon of lightShawnee2 is a glorious beacon of lightShawnee2 is a glorious beacon of light
RD to even dream of a 25 win season is so crazy i can not hardly comment??? If you would have said 10 to 18 possibly but come on 25??????????
Old 06-07-2017, 06:08 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,125 Times in 4,170 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by LI Flyer View Post
Am I missing something VCU SLU and URI twice, that a bit of a challenging A-10 schedule?
I agree...not that bad at all IMO if SLU rebounds...would have been nice to get SBU twice...UMASS might be pretty good with their new coach too...IMO URI and VCU will be good...even Duquesne is looking up with Dambrot at the helm now.

Last edited by ud2; 06-07-2017 at 06:10 PM..
Old 06-07-2017, 07:19 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,119 Posts
BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
I wont complain much because we still have VCU and URI in our pod, but i hate losing St. Bonaventure, always loved that program. I still fondly recall Marques Green gutting out the season and the following year following Weld-gate and the mass exodus that followed. Marques may be my favorite non-Flyer A-10 player of all-time.

As a plus, SLU should be back very soon
Old 06-07-2017, 08:09 PM
1st Lieutenant

Bigtimeflyersguy is a glorious beacon of lightBigtimeflyersguy is a glorious beacon of lightBigtimeflyersguy is a glorious beacon of lightBigtimeflyersguy is a glorious beacon of lightBigtimeflyersguy is a glorious beacon of lightBigtimeflyersguy is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by 116 Chambers View Post
Dang, I'm with C-Time on this one. We aren't being treated like back-to-back A10 Champs with UMass twice and only Bonnie's once. Gimme a break on UMass- they aren't a geographical rival so I don't get it. Heck, put St. Joe's in there to play twice, they are much close than UMass...

Puts more pressure on our Out of Conference schedule, which isn't looking that great.
This is ridiculous to me. If the measure of a good A10 conference schedule is difficulty, then we took the cake (Umass might be up there too). If we could choose to see any three matchups twice, VCU and URI would likely be 1 and 2. SLU, with the supposed rejuvenation of their program and considering the archbaron cup, would arguably be third. So 3/5 of our double matchups are just as we'd like them. The other two are against two hungry programs with new coaches trying to make a name for themselves. Each of which I project to be in the top 10 of our conference next year. Umass, in particular, I expect to become a contender in the next few years with Matt McCall at the helm. Don't forget, that guy beat us with Chattanooga a couple years ago.

So what are you upset about? Did you expect to get VCU, SLU, URI, Bonnie's, AND st. Joes? You say we deserve special treatment because we're back to back a10 champs. Well we're the ONLY team to play URI and VCU (the two best a10 teams besides dayton last year) twice this year and we got to do the same last year. That seems like special treatment to me.

I may be in the minority but I'm very happy with the pairings we got.
Posted via Mobile Device
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Bigtimeflyersguy For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (06-07-2017), Phi Psi Flyer '09 (06-08-2017), San Diego Flyer (06-08-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 07:34 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,119 Posts
BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Bigtimeflyersguy View Post
This is ridiculous to me. If the measure of a good A10 conference schedule is difficulty, then we took the cake (Umass might be up there too). If we could choose to see any three matchups twice, VCU and URI would likely be 1 and 2. SLU, with the supposed rejuvenation of their program and considering the archbaron cup, would arguably be third. So 3/5 of our double matchups are just as we'd like them. The other two are against two hungry programs with new coaches trying to make a name for themselves. Each of which I project to be in the top 10 of our conference next year. Umass, in particular, I expect to become a contender in the next few years with Matt McCall at the helm. Don't forget, that guy beat us with Chattanooga a couple years ago.

So what are you upset about? Did you expect to get VCU, SLU, URI, Bonnie's, AND st. Joes? You say we deserve special treatment because we're back to back a10 champs. Well we're the ONLY team to play URI and VCU (the two best a10 teams besides dayton last year) twice this year and we got to do the same last year. That seems like special treatment to me.

I may be in the minority but I'm very happy with the pairings we got.
Posted via Mobile Device
Actually Neil Sullivan is the one who has helped form the way the A-10 sets up pods. Neil Sullivan used math to present why its best the contenders are all in each others pods. Neil Sullivan also used math to convince St. Mary's to sign up for a home and home. So yes it is reasonable to expect another perfect pod like last year.

Im disappointed the Bonnies arent in our pod. They are my pick to win the title this year. Best backcourt in the league in a very long time. Just goes to show, UD brass may have some clout but in the league office they still have final say.
Mad Props to BRob2Perryman3 For This Totally Excellent Post:
redbengal (06-08-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 05:56 PM
Colonel

redbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Shawnee2 View Post
RD to even dream of a 25 win season is so crazy i can not hardly comment??? If you would have said 10 to 18 possibly but come on 25??????????
Well, we are taking advantage of the "4th" game of the exempt tourney by scheduling Auburn. So that puts the # of regular season games at 31, correct? Add 2 or 3 postseason games (NIT?) and we're talking close to 35 chances to win. I wrote 25 because it just seems that, with so many games in this day and age, the old magic mark of 20 wins is long past. 25 seems to be the new goal to shoot for.

Plus, ya gotta believe!!
Old 06-12-2017, 09:39 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 1,650 Times in 838 Posts
Canonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond repute
UD can't rely on a resurgent A10 to help in terms of an NCAA bid. IMO the tougher the A10 schedule the better.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:18 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
Overall Wins

Originally Posted by redbengal View Post
Well, we are taking advantage of the "4th" game of the exempt tourney by scheduling Auburn. So that puts the # of regular season games at 31, correct? Add 2 or 3 postseason games (NIT?) and we're talking close to 35 chances to win. I wrote 25 because it just seems that, with so many games in this day and age, the old magic mark of 20 wins is long past. 25 seems to be the new goal to shoot for.

Plus, ya gotta believe!!
are interesting but in conference play the goal must be to win the conference championship preferably the conference tournament and the automatic bid. When UD was an independent the goal of a 20 win season was noteworthy but that measure has long since passed.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:03 AM
Colonel

SC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud ofSC_Flyer has much to be proud of
Even though UMass looks stronger, they ended with an RPI of 194. As a lover of PODs (please hear my sarcasm), I crunched the changes in Average POD RPI using the current UD Pride RPI data. VCU had the toughest POD last year and they clearly wanted a bit of relief as they swapped Davidson (89) for Fordham (215). Not surprisingly, they had the biggest change in Average POD RPI. The 2nd biggest change was actually Dayton, by swapping SBU (91) for UMass (194). As I always want our relative POD strength to be in the middle to bottom of the pecking order, I like this change. I imagine others won't. One interesting fact is that 3 teams (DUQ, GW and LAS) didn't change their PODs at all. The only team to not change their POD 2 years in a row is GW.

Code:

2017-06-14  PODS Sorted by Ave POD RPI Change
--------|---------------------|
TEAM       Ave POD RPI Change
--------|---------------------|
URI             -22.4
SBU             -22.0
UM              -11.0
SLU             -10.2
FOR              -9.2
GM               -8.8
DUQ               0.0
GW                0.0
LAS               0.0
UR                6.4
DAV              13.0
SJU              18.4
DAY              20.6
VCU              25.2
Old 06-14-2017, 11:18 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,283 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
While I see that last years data is the only way to project pod strength for this year, the probability that SLU will be vastly improved should move our strength of pod up quite a bit. Will be interesting to do this comparison at the end of the 17/18 regular season.