User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 04-02-2015, 12:03 AM
General

Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,408 Posts
frisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond repute
NCAA: It's not our job to ensure educational quality

NCAA: It's not our job to ensure eduational quality

Not a surprising admission by the NCAA but a sad indictment of the realities of college sports. This amounts to a license for colleges to abuse their student athletes.
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2015, 08:01 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,910 Times in 6,994 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with the NCAA on this one...you can't reasonable expect them to certify every class offered at every NCAA institution...that's silly. There are Deans, Provosts, Presidents and Accreditation Boards assigned those duties.

If UNC's athletes feel like they didn't get an education and it's the NCAA's fault that these former student-athletes took classless classes that required no work, the first person to blame is the student/athlete for hunting out these classes, the 2nd is the professor for not doing squat, the 3rd is the Department for not overseeing and evaluating each class/professor semester-by-semester, the 4th is their Advisor for recommending no-work classes (they know everything!), the 5th is the Provost who is the Academic guru, the 6th is the University President who takes the heat for such matters...and somewhere in their I guess is the coach, but only if he steered them toward the classes.

Why the NCAA is being blamed and sued for this cries 'deep pockets'.
CE80 (04-02-2015), Flyer14 (04-02-2015), jack72 (04-02-2015), jpk4ud (04-02-2015), Muckem333 (04-02-2015), Townie (04-02-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 10:27 AM

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
The NCAA role is to levee heavy punishment when academic fraud occurs. It is not their role to ensure the quality of academic instruction provided. That's the role of accrediting organizations, presidents, provosts and deans.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by UDDoug; 04-02-2015 at 04:45 PM..
Mad Props to UDDoug For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud69 (04-02-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 03:29 PM

Thanked 15,910 Times in 6,994 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Every semester, and I'm certain UD isn't unique, 2 things happen that give my bosses data that - if taken seriously - immediately identifies problems with the class curriculum, professor, materials and/or classroom IT equipment.

First is the on-line student evaluation that includes opinions on the text, professor, relevancy and difficulty of work, etc...

Second is the form I am asked to fill out evaluating the room, book, resources and Departmental support as well as a box for me to ask for additional resources to improve the class.

The review of these 2 vital pieces of information, combined with the end of semester performance evaluation, are 100% the responsibility of the Departmental Dean or Chair...UNC is a top tier University and I'm Royally certain they have a similar or more stringent policy that I'm also Royally certain was ignored in certain Departments that favor certain athletes.

The law suit blame should stop at that level. God forbid it go any higher than that, because if it does it only means that the NCAA will become an even larger bureaucracy...which, much like D.C., is mostly unnecessary.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:28 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,011 Posts
xubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with the NCAA, but my God they need to hire a better publicist.

Instead of "It's not our job to ensure educational quality,"

how about...

"We strongly value educational quality, and we rely on the presidents of our institutions, and the accrediting agencies that oversee them, to ensure that educational quality is being provided. We are very disappointed that UNC appears to have failed in this regard."

They may be right, but wow they sound bad. "That's not my job" is not a good battle cry for anyone to have. Then again, as the saying goes, if it sounds like a duck.....

Last edited by xubrew; 04-02-2015 at 06:32 PM..
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to xubrew For This Totally Excellent Post:
1in25 (04-02-2015), Figgie123 (04-03-2015), Flyer 86 (04-02-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 07:16 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Come Rollo, you know when there is a law suit of anykind they have to name every person entity etc who may have a hand in it. Thats the nature of the beast if you will. Soon as you leave someone out then during the course you discover that that person/entity was very much involved directly or indirectly and you didn't cover your bases, could be too late.

When filing a suit you assume everyone/entities alike have a part in it. Also you list every possible person/entity on you witness list, even though you more than likely won't call 80% of them. Again got to cover your bases up front cause if you omit one and they turn out to be involved one way or another your goose could be cooked.

Not always about deep pockets, its about accountability and up front you may not know just who/whom all those persons/entities are. Be surprised what comes out in a trial. If a person or entity has no involvement they do as the NCAA did and that is probably the end of it for them unless someone knows something else.