User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 12-19-2015, 10:07 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
KP at the FT line

I had a feeling we'd see some change tonight. I will bet that it ate KP up knowing that if he'd hit his FTs we would be in the top 25 right now. I knew he would work on it and if you saw the game, you could see he had much less movement. He put the ball in front of his face and moved his arm straight forward. He went 4 of 6 but his misses weren't left or right and there wasn't the side spin.

If he keeps this technique, I think he can get into the mid 60s or higher percentage wise as he gets more comfortable.

I also believe that his mind might have been off tonight as he probably spent the last 7 days beating himself up over this and that's why he wasn't as effective on the offense.
Advertisement
Old 12-19-2015, 10:20 PM
General

Thanked 2,811 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
I had a feeling we'd see some change tonight. I will bet that it ate KP up knowing that if he'd hit his FTs we would be in the top 25 right now. I knew he would work on it and if you saw the game, you could see he had much less movement. He put the ball in front of his face and moved his arm straight forward. He went 4 of 6 but his misses weren't left or right and there wasn't the side spin.

If he keeps this technique, I think he can get into the mid 60s or higher percentage wise as he gets more comfortable.

I also believe that his mind might have been off tonight as he probably spent the last 7 days beating himself up over this and that's why he wasn't as effective on the offense.
Smitty: Your observation may in fact be correct. Another option is Archie personally spent time with Kendall working on his free throws. Archie certainly sees that you cannot have the guy with more free throws than anyone else on the team shooting them at 50%.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:25 PM
General

Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TommyGola View Post
Smitty: Your observation may in fact be correct. Another option is Archie personally spent time with Kendall working on his free throws. Archie certainly sees that you cannot have the guy with more free throws than anyone else on the team shooting them at 50%.
Oh, I agree with you that either AM or one of the Assistants spent time with him. But I'm guessing it was initiated by KP, he just seems like the type of guy who would realize that the problem needs corrected when it costs us a game.

Also, I would think that AM himself thought it best that KP initiate it, you know the saying, "you can't get better if you don't admit to yourself that you have a problem".
Old 12-19-2015, 10:32 PM
Colonel

Ready Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant future
From this morning's DDN:

Miller said players who feel less comfortable at the line spent extra time shooting free throws this week, but they’ve been doing that all along. Last weekend, even some of the more consistent shooters missed.

“Our hope is to keep getting better,” Miller said. “You can’t talk a whole lot about it. You make more of it than it is, then guys start to think about it. They just need to step up a bit.”
Mad Props to Ready Action For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-20-2015)
Old 12-19-2015, 10:35 PM
General

Originally Posted by Ready Action View Post
From this morning's DDN:

Miller said players who feel less comfortable at the line spent extra time shooting free throws this week, but they’ve been doing that all along. Last weekend, even some of the more consistent shooters missed.

“Our hope is to keep getting better,” Miller said. “You can’t talk a whole lot about it. You make more of it than it is, then guys start to think about it. They just need to step up a bit.”
Makes a lot of sense, but as drastic of change as KP's technique was, I would have to think that he was coached quite a bit.

I'm also guessing Big Steve wasn't one of those that felt uncomfortable at the line. How would he have known since he only took four of them all season until tonight. In a 30 second span in the 1st half he took four more and made all of them. That's actually a great thing to see. When your big man gets the ball in low, it's nice to know that a foul isn't going to mean giving up the points.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:49 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,996 Times in 2,669 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Watched KP's form both last Saturday and tonight. The position of his left hand was completely different. Last week, that hand was actually on top of the ball, which is probably what was causing that side-spin that people have noted. This week, that hand was @ 120 degrees lower, in front of and below the ball. As a result, 50% became 67%, and the misses were hitting the inside of the rim instead of the outside. Much better results, and a much better outcome for the team as a whole. Keep up the good work, Kendall. The results will come.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Smitty10 (12-19-2015)
Old 12-19-2015, 10:53 PM
General

Thanked 2,909 Times in 1,405 Posts
frisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Archie said after the Chattanooga game that KP took 4000+ FTs after practices and was hitting them at a 70% clip. I don't think it's the mechanics so much anymore. It's in his head. He did much better tonight. Let's hope it's the start of something good.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:03 PM
General

Originally Posted by frisco flyer View Post
Archie said after the Chattanooga game that KP took 4000+ FTs after practices and was hitting them at a 70% clip. I don't think it's the mechanics so much anymore. It's in his head. He did much better tonight. Let's hope it's the start of something good.
Did you watch the game tonight? The mechanics were night and day. I believe it was the mechanics and he needed 4000+ practice shots to get it into muscle memory. And if it was just in his head, I doubt we would have had this issue for his first 2 seasons+9 games.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:05 PM
General

Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 View Post
Watched KP's form both last Saturday and tonight. The position of his left hand was completely different. Last week, that hand was actually on top of the ball, which is probably what was causing that side-spin that people have noted. This week, that hand was @ 120 degrees lower, in front of and below the ball. As a result, 50% became 67%, and the misses were hitting the inside of the rim instead of the outside. Much better results, and a much better outcome for the team as a whole. Keep up the good work, Kendall. The results will come.
Posted via Mobile Device
T-Bone, didn't he seem to take the ball higher(over his head if I remember right) previously? It sure seemed to me that he kept it at eye level tonight and much less motion.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:07 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
KP

still has a bad spin on his shot because he has too much hand on his ball and too few fingertips. The rotation should be back to front and his ball has side spin on it. The guy who could really help him is HOF coach Don Donoher. I'm sure Archie can improve his skill as well.
It all starts with the waiter position with the waiter carrying a tray in his/her hand. Elbow down, ball on the finger tips (not the palm of the hand) and let it fly. A swish is the wish!
Old 12-20-2015, 05:05 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,996 Times in 2,669 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
T-Bone, didn't he seem to take the ball higher(over his head if I remember right) previously? It sure seemed to me that he kept it at eye level tonight and much less motion.
Yeah, Smitty10, with his old form, his arm positioning looked a lot more like Mike Sylvester's than your namesake's. Used to release from above the hairline. Against Furman, that release seemed to be closer to eye-high. Much better.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-20-2015, 07:29 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Sid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 View Post
Yeah, Smitty10, with his old form, his arm positioning looked a lot more like Mike Sylvester's than your namesake's. Used to release from above the hairline. Against Furman, that release seemed to be closer to eye-high. Much better.
Posted via Mobile Device
Still seemed to me the release was from still over his head. It certainly wasn't at eye level.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:47 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,912 Times in 1,082 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
I was so disgusted with the previous game (and not about KP) that I didn't want to post anything. Listening to the Mocs game I thought that time after time the only one taking the rock to the hole was KP. Unfortunately he was not getting it to fall and we came away with zero to 1 point per possession. Although his form was suspect, I asked myself where the hell was everyone else during that last 8 minutes? Surely someone else can take the ball and do something?

So although KP's poor foul shooting was a major impact (and needs to be addressed) we certainly need some other bodies to take possession of the game. Listening to the game last night, seems we are still trying to find our offense in the first half. Too many people disappear either for a game OR during major portions of a game.

Not sure DP coming back is the totally magic elixir for this team ... I will wait a see.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to NJFlyr71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Ivan (12-20-2015), jack72 (12-20-2015)
Old 12-20-2015, 08:25 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NJFlyr71 View Post
I was so disgusted with the previous game (and not about KP) that I didn't want to post anything. Listening to the Mocs game I thought that time after time the only one taking the rock to the hole was KP. Unfortunately he was not getting it to fall and we came away with zero to 1 point per possession. Although his form was suspect, I asked myself where the hell was everyone else during that last 8 minutes? Surely someone else can take the ball and do something?

So although KP's poor foul shooting was a major impact (and needs to be addressed) we certainly need some other bodies to take possession of the game. Listening to the game last night, seems we are still trying to find our offense in the first half. Too many people disappear either for a game OR during major portions of a game.

Not sure DP coming back is the totally magic elixir for this team ... I will wait a see.
Once the ball got in KP hands he didn't pass it off to anyone else and took the ball to the hole with time still left on the shot clock. Wasn't much anyone else could do when he decided to be the man. Nothing wrong with that thinking except you gotta be the complete man in all phases. His strength was in getting to the basket and if you are aware your free throw shooting is suspect then you either make darn sure you slam that ball through the basket or pass to another player who can also take it to the hole and make freethrows. Cooke and Mcelvene showed last night they also are capable of taking it to the hole and make free throws. Cookke only 2 of 7 and Mac 3 of 7 but together 12 of 12 freebies, thats 22 points but more importantly others feed off of that.

Last night KP most likely held back till he could prove he could make ft in a game situation. He has the right mindset to be a go to guy but needs to make those freebies at a better clip which I think he will do. I agree he most likely blamed himself for the loss but it is a team effort and you got to know when its your night and when its not.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:28 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Regarding DP, I don't want to put too much into his return for at least the next 5 games. We need the DP of last 3 seasons, but how much does he know the players on this team, how much time has he spent working out with them. DP has one advantage, he knows the offense and defenses of AM so that will help alot.

Needs just to play into himself and not try and take the load. As I see it, he will make others better and by doing that make the team better.
Old 12-20-2015, 03:28 PM
General

Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by frisco flyer View Post
If you can only hit at a 70% clip during practice, while shooting 4,000 practice shots, you have done nothing but form terrible habits that will make you a terrible shooter in game situations. I can shoot at a 70% clip right now (in an empty gym) and I haven't picked up a basketball in 2 years.

If I shot 4,000 over the course of a summer I would be easily in the 90%+ range (in an empty gym).

Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. If he shot 4,000 with anything in the zip code of a reasonable shooting motion he would be at 85%+ in practice and 67%+ in game situations. 2 out of every 3 is not that difficult even for a mediocre shooter.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Sid Louick (12-20-2015), UDTradition (12-20-2015)
Old 12-20-2015, 03:48 PM
General

Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
I can shoot at a 70% clip right now (in an empty gym) and I haven't picked up a basketball in 2 years.
How do you know?
Old 12-20-2015, 05:52 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,082 Times in 469 Posts
Piqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant future
Both feet square on the line
Ball above head balanced by the left hand
Remove left hand
Bend knees
Come up with one motion as you release ball
from finger tips with back spin and finish with wrist bent pointing at the hoop.
Also, keep eye on rim, do not follow ball throught its flight to the hoop!!!!!
Worked for me in the day....85% for three years in HS.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:15 PM
Colonel

TerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond repute
For the life of me, I don't understand why Archie doesn't just hire the experts here on UDPride, and all of our free throw woes will be history! It is obviously soooo simple, what am I (and Archie) missing?
It all sounds like my 5th grade CYO coach talking! Has to be gospel no?
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TerryK_67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (12-21-2015), Glen Clark (12-21-2015), Townie (12-21-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 01:48 AM
Colonel

redbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
If you can only hit at a 70% clip during practice, while shooting 4,000 practice shots, you have done nothing but form terrible habits that will make you a terrible shooter in game situations. I can shoot at a 70% clip right now (in an empty gym) and I haven't picked up a basketball in 2 years.

If I shot 4,000 over the course of a summer I would be easily in the 90%+ range (in an empty gym).

Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. If he shot 4,000 with anything in the zip code of a reasonable shooting motion he would be at 85%+ in practice and 67%+ in game situations. 2 out of every 3 is not that difficult even for a mediocre shooter.
FWIW, I thought I remembered Archie saying it was 76% in practice, not 70. But I also recall him putting the 76% in the context of stopping Pollard as Kendall was lamenting about his in-game performances and saying, "Look, we've charted you over 4301 FT's in practice and you're hitting 76%." My take was that Archie was satisfied with the form and wanted Kendall not to lose confidence. Yet it was obvious that tweaks were indeed made prior to Furman.
Mad Props to redbengal For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (12-21-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 07:37 AM
General

Originally Posted by TerryK_67 View Post
For the life of me, I don't understand why Archie doesn't just hire the experts here on UDPride, and all of our free throw woes will be history! It is obviously soooo simple, what am I (and Archie) missing?
It all sounds like my 5th grade CYO coach talking! Has to be gospel no?
Yeah, why do we even have a forum anyway? The Coaches know everything, the players execute everything and all we do is watch and root. Nothing to be discussed.
Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (12-21-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 09:23 AM

Thanked 10,134 Times in 5,868 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, why do we even have a forum anyway? The Coaches know everything, the players execute everything and all we do is watch and root. Nothing to be discussed.
How else would we ***** and moan?
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (12-21-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 09:26 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
How do you know?
The only thing he knows with 100% certainty is that he hasn't picked up a BB in two years...
Old 12-21-2015, 10:31 AM

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
It is not easy to unlearn a lifetime of bad habits. KP learned how to shoot that way probably early on and it was comfortable for him. UD staff has been working on improving his FT shooting ever since he stepped on campus. I asked one of coaches about this during his freshman year. He echoed the same thing. It will be hard to teach him a new technique.

But, unlearning habits is hard. Under pressure you revert back to what was originally comfortable. Look at golfers who make major swing changes. They can execute on the driving range and they immediately revert back on the first tee. I am not surprised that Kendall has had trouble taking the practice stroke to the game.

Final note: If Kendall had been a good/great free throw shooter in high school, a bigger school (Top Ten) would have gotten to him before Dayton. Archie does a great job with players who need improvement in their game.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:31 PM
General

Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
How do you know?
I don't bet on anything but I would put money on that one.