UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Poll Results: FT Lane violation(s)...MAKE THE CALL!
NDSU violation negates the air ball violation - Crosby re-shoots FT 26 83.87%
Double violation - goes to possession arrow 4 12.90%
Second violation (airball) negates first violation (in lane early) - NDSU ball 1 3.23%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-19-2017, 10:03 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,878 Times in 6,982 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
You Make the Call - Double FT violation

In an effort to improve his focus at the FT line, Anthony Grant has been working hard with PG John Crosby on his form. The career 47% FT shooter needs help, especially this season as he has been slotted at the starting PG in today's home opener of the 2017-18 season.

Despite the extra time and effort of the coaching staff, Crosby still has a hitch in his form that needs to be eliminated in order to make the shot appear to be smooth. So here we are, 1:15 into game 1 and Crosby is at the FT line shooting 2. Having already badly missed the first, both UD and North Dakota State players are understandably anticipating a brick and are anxiously positioning themselves for a clank and rebound opportunity.

As Crosby begins his shot, he ever-so-slightly hesitates on the release and draws two NDSU players into the lane early. The baseline official immediately signals for the defensive lane violation...meanwhile Crosby releases the shot...which is a complete airball...and is also a violation.

Not seeing the baseline official's lane violation signal, Lead official Joey DeMayo blows the play dead and because of the airball, awards the ball to NDSU. Grant immediately jumps up and argues that the NDSU player violated first and distracted Crosby so he should be given another FT. DeMayo, looking puzzled, calls the other officials over for a quick huddle.

As WHIO-TV's Mike Ballsack tells us all to call 1-800-GET-JUNK, you have 30-seconds to MAKE THE CALL!

Good luck.

Last edited by rollo; 06-19-2017 at 10:33 AM..
Advertisement
Old 06-19-2017, 11:11 AM
1st Lieutenant

KC Flyer is a jewel in the roughKC Flyer is a jewel in the roughKC Flyer is a jewel in the rough
I think it is a double violation and then possession arrow, but what would the call be if the NDSU player distracts the shooter with his violation (either on purpose or accident). Is that still just a FT violation or change to a Technical foul?
Old 06-19-2017, 11:22 AM

rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by KC Flyer View Post
I think it is a double violation and then possession arrow, but what would the call be if the NDSU player distracts the shooter with his violation (either on purpose or accident). Is that still just a FT violation or change to a Technical foul?
That is 'disconcertion' and falls under 'unsportmanlike conduct' which would trump any lane violation(s).
Old 06-19-2017, 11:39 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,152 Times in 2,713 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
I voted A
Old 06-19-2017, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by cj View Post
I voted A
Nothing wrong with 'A'.

CT Flyer (06-19-2017), TXFlyerFan (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 01:00 PM

Thanked 1,303 Times in 675 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Without trying to overanalyze and convince myself there is a trick, if Ref A signaled a lane violation first, then anything that happens after that, short of a technical foul of some sort, is another FT attempt.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by TXFlyerFan View Post
Without trying to overanalyze and convince myself there is a trick,...
If your mind is clear and you're focused on the rules, this is an easy call. This should help you focus...

TXFlyerFan (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 04:22 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,367 Times in 537 Posts
MNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Nothing wrong with 'A'.

Those are most certainly not A's. Those are C's.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to MNFats For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (06-19-2017), TXFlyerFan (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 04:31 PM

It's been 6+ hours since I posted this poll and Sir Know-it-All, ClaytonFlyer, hasn't chimed in yet. Not being shy or afraid to put his foot in his royal mouth, it appears that I have stumped the pseudo-king and he's scouring GOOGLE looking for the answer.

Clayton....Sir Clayton....

TXFlyerFan (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 04:36 PM

Thanked 1,303 Times in 675 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
He's busy checkout out "A"
Old 06-19-2017, 04:37 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,558 Times in 3,703 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
It's been 6+ hours since I posted this poll and Sir Know-it-All, ClaytonFlyer, hasn't chimed in yet. Not being shy or afraid to put his foot in his royal mouth, it appears that I have stumped the pseudo-king and he's scouring GOOGLE looking for the answer.

Clayton....Sir Clayton....

]
I skipped 3rd through 5th grade as well as most of high school, too smart for my peers. So why would I want to spend my time answering a 3rd grade question?

PS- If this is not the easiest one to answer you have ever posted, the rule absolutely sucks and 19 of my peers have currently answered wrong along with me!

Happy now Archie Bunker?
Old 06-19-2017, 04:37 PM
General of the Air Force

ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TXFlyerFan View Post
He's busy checkout out "A"
The only thing that takes precedence in my life over Flyer basketball (other than family) is lake season which kicked off for me 3 days ago, and hanging out at the right cove to be surrounded by a few A', several B's, lots of C's and my preference of D's. 84 degree water temperature currently, so yes I will be busy and not on here as often the next 5 months. I know I will be missed

Last edited by ClaytonFlyerFan; 06-19-2017 at 04:46 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (06-19-2017), TXFlyerFan (06-20-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post
I skipped 3rd through 5th grade as well as most of high school,
So, Mr. Double-D, how was Juvie Hall?

ClaytonFlyerFan (06-19-2017), Gazoo (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 10:38 AM
1st Lieutenant

88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of
That is 'disconcertion' and falls under 'unsportmanlike conduct' which would trump any lane violation(s).
In my mind, this answers the question. The initial violation by the opponent trumps the subsequent airball. Now, if JC had intentionally faked a shot to draw them into the lane, then his violation would trump theirs effectively. But, you didn't say he faked a shot to intentionally draw them off the line. I'm sticking with the majority on this one...
Old 06-20-2017, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by 88flyer View Post
... if JC had intentionally faked a shot to draw them into the lane, then his violation would trump theirs effectively...
Faking a FT is not a delayed call - it's immediate - so there wouldn't be another violation to be trumped.

Just sayin'...
Old 06-20-2017, 03:39 PM
1st Lieutenant

88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of88flyer has much to be proud of
Faking a FT is not a delayed call - it's immediate - so there wouldn't be another violation to be trumped.

Just sayin'...
so... with this little tidbit - i'm sticking with A
Old 06-23-2017, 10:36 AM

If you were one of the 4 who voted 'double violation - possession arrow' you win!

Defensive violations during a FT are 'delayed' meaning other things can happen that need to be applied, too. And just as a double-foul leads to an 'alternating possession' situation, so, too, does a double-violation.

It's complicated, I know, and expect a lot of WTF's from my millions of fans and minions, and I'll try to explain your concerns, just don't go all extreme on me. King Rollo doesn't reply to extremes unless it relates to bikinis or biceps.

Hate away...the King is in the mood!
cj (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 11:38 AM
1st Lieutenant

hmmm... it seems there is room for interpretation here. If the official that called the initial lane violation felt there was disconcertion, then this applies...

c. When disconcertion by an opponent is followed by a violation by the
free- thrower or a teammate of the free-thrower, only the disconcertion is
penalized and a substitute free throw shall be awarded.

Does disconcertion imply an intentional distraction?

I'm just learning here... certainly no expert.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:46 AM
General of the Air Force

If you were one of the 4 who voted 'double violation - possession arrow' you win!

Defensive violations during a FT are 'delayed' meaning other things can happen that need to be applied, too. And just as a double-foul leads to an 'alternating possession' situation, so, too, does a double-violation.

It's complicated, I know, and expect a lot of WTF's from my millions of fans and minions, and I'll try to explain your concerns, just don't go all extreme on me. King Rollo doesn't reply to extremes unless it relates to bikinis or biceps.

Hate away...the King is in the mood!

I think you been growing and smoking your breakfast, surely the NCAA is not that stupid on this rule when the lane violation occurred first and in theory distracted the shooter. Oh wait, we are talking the NCAA here, guess I believe anything.

I know, don't call you surely.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by 88flyer View Post
hmmm... it seems there is room for interpretation here. If the official that called the initial lane violation felt there was disconcertion, then this applies...

c. When disconcertion by an opponent is followed by a violation by the
free- thrower or a teammate of the free-thrower, only the disconcertion is
penalized and a substitute free throw shall be awarded.

Does disconcertion imply an intentional distraction?

I'm just learning here... certainly no expert.
Disconcertion is something intentional like coughing, clapping or yelling during the shooting process...stepping into the lane isn't disconcertion unless you're also doing jumping-jacks and/or cartwheels.

Or, in the case of a 3rd grade boys game I did earlier this year, two opposing moms ringing their f'in cow bells during opponent's FTs...or idiot Franklin 5th grade girl parents setting off their phone's ringer while little Suzie-Q tries to shoot a 12-foot FT.

Idiots are everywhere.

Normal people are outnumbered by them 5:1.

Royal immortals are outnumbered 318M:1.

King Rollo the Underdog...OUT!
Old 06-23-2017, 12:42 PM

PS- If this is not the easiest one to answer you have ever posted, the rule absolutely sucks and 19 of my peers have currently answered wrong along with me!
I think you been growing and smoking your breakfast, surely the NCAA is not that stupid on this rule when the lane violation occurred first and in theory distracted the shooter. Oh wait, we are talking the NCAA here, guess I believe anything.

I know, don't call you surely.
Sounds like the Assistant Deputy to the Deputy Assistant of the Royal Court got this call wrong.

I skipped 3rd through 5th grade as well as most of high school, too smart for my peers. So why would I want to spend my time answering a 3rd grade question?
Clayton Elementary just called and has openings in all grades...you'll just need a birth certificate and proof of residence to enroll. Good luck...I hear 'cursive' is pretty tough these days!
ClaytonFlyerFan (06-25-2017), Gazoo (06-24-2017)
Old 06-25-2017, 09:40 PM
General of the Air Force

Sounds like the Assistant Deputy to the Deputy Assistant of the Royal Court got this call wrong.

Clayton Elementary just called and has openings in all grades...you'll just need a birth certificate and proof of residence to enroll. Good luck...I hear 'cursive' is pretty tough these days!

Quit bullying me or I am calling my snowflake police to report you.