User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 01-04-2018, 12:09 AM
General

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
Synopsis of the Bonnies Game

I attended tonight's game and thought that it was the Flyers' best effort of the season. Here are some key points in the victory:

1. Jalen Adams looked injured to me. He had a knee brace on and was just not looking for that three-ball off the dribble. Also, they got two fouls on Mobley less than five minutes into the game and he had to sit. Although Adams was not himself tonight, I still believe that is one of the two or three best guard tandems in college basketball. In fact, despite his sub-par showing tonight, I don't think there is a better point guard in the country than Jalen Adams.

2. The Flyers were really quick to close out on the three-ball tonight, at least for the first three-quarters of the game. Trey Landers and Crutcher were especially good at limiting the three-ball. Late in the game, Mobley got his three-ball going, but it was too little too late.

3. Trey Landers had a superb game. For a guy who is essentially a freshman in terms of minutes, he was a beast on both sides of the ball. He made a lot of good decisions and had some really active hands on defense. One thing I have noticed about Trey is how well he finishes around the glass. I think his strength comes in to play there.

4. Jalen Crutcher had a nice game at the point. He hit a couple of huge threes and had several nice floaters and finishes in the paint. He also played very well on defense against two outstanding guards.

5. Kostas had a fine game tonight. He stayed out of foul trouble, hit some free throws and big buckets, and had a couple of nice assists down low to cutters.

6. Jordan Davis did not have his best game offensively, but defensively he demonstrated he could defend against the best. He had a couple of turnovers and for the second straight game was going too fast to finish on a fast break.

7. Josh Cunningham had a good defensive game against some quality bigs in the middle. Although his point and rebound totals were not up to par, his defense made up for any shortcomings on offense.

8. John Crosby only played about six minutes in the first half. He played very well defensively, but did try to force some things on the offensive side. He looked a bit out of sync.

9. I wish someone had an answer to what has happened to X Williams. Toward the end of last year and into the tournaments, X was really playing good basketball. This year, for whatever reason, he looks totally lost out on the court. He is not cutting to the hoop; he is not getting out on the break; his three-ball looks really bad. I wish someone had an answer for X, but at this point it looks to me like his minutes may shrink to single digits.

10. And I almost forgot Darryl Davis. I thought he may have had the best game of his career tonight. He finished with 28 points, 10/10 from the line, and I believe he had 7 rebounds. He did have several turnovers as he forced some things offensively during the waning moments of the shot clock.

All in all, it was a very good night for the Flyers. They never let those two outstanding guards get into the flow of the game. It is clear from this post that I really like Mobley and Adams. They are outstanding guards.

Last edited by TommyGola; 01-04-2018 at 12:12 AM..
9 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TommyGola For This Totally Excellent Post:
Alberto Strasse (01-05-2018), BeckysTXA (01-04-2018), Cityengr (01-04-2018), Flyer 86 (01-04-2018), SeasonTicketFan (01-04-2018), TXFlyerFan (01-04-2018), UDBaby (01-04-2018), UDGutter2 (01-04-2018), wes (01-04-2018)
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2018, 12:24 AM
Major

66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of66flyer has much to be proud of
Totally enjoyed tonight's game. My gut told me that the law of averages would catch up with SBU boasting an 8 game winning streak and that they would come in here thinking all they had to do was show up. The Flyers played as if to say, "Enough of this losing crap!" I'm sure there will be some ups and downs to come, but this has to be encouraging for them. I just hope they have it together when they go to SLU, because my sisters-in-law and I are going on Leslie's fan bus and really want to see a win.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:51 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,764 Times in 929 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
One of the biggest complaints about this team has been guard play. Somehow we went up against quite possibly the best guard duo in the country and took care of business. I hope this is a start of something new and not a flash in the pan.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to hawkoooo For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (01-04-2018), ClaytonFlyerFan (01-04-2018), Flyer 86 (01-04-2018), jack72 (01-04-2018), TommyGola (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 07:19 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Kostas tied DD with 10 FT attempts...one of the most impressive stats of the night. He doesn't have the body (yet), but he realized he was looking down at anyone SBU put in as a post player (are you watching Xeyrius?).
Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 09:06 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,559 Times in 2,452 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Olean Times good article
http://www.oleantimesherald.com/spor...96ab97715.html

When asked if the Bonnies were “brought back to Earth” by the Flyers, Mobley was pointed in his answer.

“It definitely humbled us,” he said. “We knew coming in that any road game in the A10’s going to be tough, regardless of who we’re playing. I’m not sure why we came out thinking that we were the (expletive), honestly.

“It’s definitely a learning moment and we’re going to make sure it doesn’t happen again.”
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Buster Goode (01-04-2018), Cityengr (01-04-2018), Figgie123 (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 09:25 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,488 Times in 763 Posts
N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
Sometimes in games like this you are exposed for how bad a team you really are. Last night, UD was exposed for how GOOD a team they can be. Now build on this and BEAT UMASS.
Mad Props to N2663R For This Totally Excellent Post:
JimBo (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 10:44 AM
General

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
We caught St.B on the right night. That's ok, happens to us all the time. They played poorly and we took advantage. No apologies, and more than St.B would apologize for beating some of UD's better teams on the road when they were totally outgunned.

It seems like Crutcher will rarely commit a charge. When he sees someone set up he is very good at just pulling straight up and letting go of that floater.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (01-04-2018), Flyer 86 (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 10:56 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,132 Times in 5,867 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Notice that Matej did not play. A good coaching move by AG, who did not like some coaches put guys in just so they get minutes and give some guys a blow, which is the biggest falacy in basketball. Many coaches would have put Matej in for Landers and Crosby in for Crutcher in that second half, which usually ends up being a momentum killer. As they say, ride the hot hand.

Must have been AG's talk with Bucky, because he coached a great game tonight.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cityengr (01-04-2018), CvilleFlyer (01-04-2018), Flyer 86 (01-04-2018), TommyGola (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 02:12 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,557 Times in 3,702 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Assistant Coaches

In a few games earlier in the year, I asked myself "who are the assistant coaches and who are the student managers" as no one other than AG seemed to be engaged in the game, talking to players, talking to Grant, etc. At times it looked like a bunch of zombies in sport coats and ties sitting on the bench.

Last night, right from the opening tip, I noticed it was a team effort coaching and comparing notes on in game changes to make. Takes time when starting from scratch, hoping we are over that hurdle
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (01-04-2018), Flyer 86 (01-04-2018), Gazoo (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 04:08 PM
General

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post
In a few games earlier in the year, I asked myself "who are the assistant coaches and who are the student managers" as no one other than AG seemed to be engaged in the game, talking to players, talking to Grant, etc. At times it looked like a bunch of zombies in sport coats and ties sitting on the bench.

Last night, right from the opening tip, I noticed it was a team effort coaching and comparing notes on in game changes to make. Takes time when starting from scratch, hoping we are over that hurdle
Great comments ClaytonFlyerFan: Never underestimate the value of the assistant coaches. Those are guys deep in the trenches teaching and diligently working with each individual player to make him better. If you have ever been to a Flyers' practice, you would see how valuable they are.
Mad Props to TommyGola For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 04:11 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

mikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud of
could last night be the start of the gelling process?
Trey was the hot water, need to add some year old X to the mix.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:27 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Flyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond repute
Does this mean that AG can coach one more game?
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyer68 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (01-04-2018), SeasonTicketFan (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 06:34 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
Notice that Matej did not play. A good coaching move by AG, who did not like some coaches put guys in just so they get minutes and give some guys a blow, which is the biggest falacy in basketball. Many coaches would have put Matej in for Landers and Crosby in for Crutcher in that second half, which usually ends up being a momentum killer. As they say, ride the hot hand.

Must have been AG's talk with Bucky, because he coached a great game tonight.
Not trying to pile-on Matej, but last night was a good example of AG setting-up favorable matchups for his team. The Bonnies have a great pair of guards and a fair number of athletic wings. Not the best matchup for a 6’7”, muscular forward from the Czech Republic. So, AG didn’t try to force it. Instead, he played guys who better matched the Bonnies’ personnel.

And not to , but that was one of the things that most drove me nuts about BG. Matchups and game flow be ****ed, he had a script and a substitution pattern that he was going to follow, come Hell or high water. No adjustments made whatsoever for hot/cold hands or personnel advantages/disadvantages. Glad Archie and Anthony don’t come from that same mold.
Posted via Mobile Device
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (01-04-2018), jack72 (01-04-2018), rollo (01-04-2018), Runnin' Rebel (01-05-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 09:01 PM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Could have swore I heard the TV guys say that Schmidt put the Bonnies through a pretty intense practice at 5PM, or finished at 5PM. Anyone else hear that?
Old 01-04-2018, 10:48 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Yes

Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Could have swore I heard the TV guys say that Schmidt put the Bonnies through a pretty intense practice at 5PM, or finished at 5PM. Anyone else hear that?
I heard that too.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:18 PM
Major

Donniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant futureDonniex3Era has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Flyer68 View Post
Does this mean that AG can coach one more game?
After our next loss, they will ALL be back in force.