UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-14-2014, 07:44 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
It's been a heckuva year

No matter what happens today I didn't expect them to have 23 wins at this point ... and especially after the swoon in January. IMO they have done enough to get an NCAA regardless of the outcome so I plan to enjoy the rest of the ride and not worry about the stuff they can't control.

It was great to see the way Devin and Vee really stepped up yesterday, hopefully we will get a repeat today.

I also hope Stan Van Gundy does the color commentary. He is the best IMO, he doesn't talk too much, his observations are spot on.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Sea Bass For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bob G (03-14-2014), Canonball (03-14-2014), SeasonTicketFan (03-14-2014)
Advertisement
Old 03-14-2014, 08:49 AM

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
It ain't over yet....

One of the more amazing turnarounds in UD history
Old 03-14-2014, 09:10 AM

Thanked 15,873 Times in 6,980 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
I predicted 23 wins....I just didn't predict the crazy ups-and-downs it would take to get there.

This season reminds me a lot of the '83-84 Flyers who started out 7-7 with losses @ Miami and @ Toledo as well as at home to VCU and Missouri...at that point everything changed and with wins over DePaul and Notre Dame we somehow squeaked into the NCAA's as (probably) the last pick.

So now that we are where I expected us to be I'm a lot nicer...don't you all agree!
Old 03-14-2014, 09:18 AM

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
I was much less optimistic at the beginning of the season. Not sure 23 was in the cards. There were just too many unknowns. The 5 spot(Kav rusty, others stepping up), Sibert (first full time year in NCAA), buying into team defense(not a strength of past teams).

This team has talent AND they have some holes. The coaching staff and players jelled the team to overcome those holes, play more like a team (unselfish offense, more dedicated defense and rebounding).

Coaching staff deserves a lot of credit during February and March so far. Let's hope they keep it up.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:20 AM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
I predicted 23 wins....I just didn't predict the crazy ups-and-downs it would take to get there.

This season reminds me a lot of the '83-84 Flyers who started out 7-7 with losses @ Miami and @ Toledo as well as at home to VCU and Missouri...at that point everything changed and with wins over DePaul and Notre Dame we somehow squeaked into the NCAA's as (probably) the last pick.

So now that we are where I expected us to be I'm a lot nicer...don't you all agree!
We were a 10 seed that year, don't think you could be a 10 and be the last in.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:25 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,743 Times in 798 Posts
UDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond reputeUDBaby has a reputation beyond repute
I wish I was as confident as some posters as to what today's game does and doesn't mean for the fate of the Flyers.

But, I do have to agree that the turnaround has been fantastic...commendable, from Archie all the way down the bench. The guys showed a lot of character and now seem to be playing with a chip on their shoulder, which makes them very dangerous.

I just feel that its gonna be way to easy for the committee to look at today's game as a play-in game and be justified in doing so. 'One of them gets in and today we'll find out which one."

Best scenario is for the Flyers to stay on a roll and leave no bout adout it!!!

Flyers this afternoon, Allman Brothers at the Beacon Theater tonight....Shaping up to be one helluva day!
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDBaby For This Totally Excellent Post:
College B-Ball Fan (03-14-2014), rollo (03-14-2014), westchesterflyer (03-14-2014)
Old 03-14-2014, 09:26 AM
General

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
The schizophrenic nature of this team has made for a lot of turbulence, for sure. The outstanding play in Maui and then the losses to Illinois State, SC, and St. Joe's at home were very disappointing. The run we are enjoying now has put this team in position for the Big Dance and a decent seed. I just hope we can continue our recent success. Archie and the staff should be given credit for pulling the pieces back together, because this team was in shambles one month ago.
Mad Props to TommyGola For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (03-14-2014)
Old 03-14-2014, 09:29 AM
General

Thanked 4,319 Times in 2,123 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
There were only 53 teams in the field in those days. Don't know about autobids, the "preliminary rounds" consisted of most of the 11 & 12 seeds. all look like small conference autobids from that time period:

Northeastern, LIU-Brooklyn, Richmond, Rider, Morehead St, NC A & T, Alcorn St, Houston Baptist, Princeton and San Diego

Alcorn St, Iona, Oral Roberts, LA Tech (I'll assume Karl Malone was on that team), West Virginia, Marshall, and Nevada Reno were the 10 seeds or other 11 seeds that didn't have to play in a preliminary round. There is a good chance that UD was one of the last teams picked to play in the tournament as most of those on the 10, 11 or 12 seed lines would have been playing in the equivalanet of what NEC, Horizon or other worse conferences are today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_NC...nament#Bracket
Old 03-14-2014, 09:56 AM

rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
There were only 53(?) teams that year in the NCAA's so it's possible we were the last team...in fact, TBS's Sports gurus - lead by Nick Charles - went nuts on their post bracket analysis about 'how did Dayton get invited?'. I remember it vividly because I wrote him a scathing letter addressing our record vs those he thought were more deserving.

Regardless, we won't be the last pick on Sunday...and due to the balance of the field, UD could make a run. Just gotta stay away from an 8-9 seed.
Radar (03-14-2014)
Old 03-14-2014, 10:10 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
No, it was 53. Seeds 1-12 in 4 brackets make for 48 teams. Then there were additional 12's in each bracket, and the 12's all played a play-in game (makes 52). Then one bracket had a play-in game for the 11's as well (the additional 11 seed makes 53 teams).
Mad Props to priceg75 For This Totally Excellent Post:
m21eagle45 (03-14-2014)
Old 03-14-2014, 10:11 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TommyGola View Post
The schizophrenic nature of this team has made for a lot of turbulence, for sure. The outstanding play in Maui and then the losses to Illinois State, SC, and St. Joe's at home were very disappointing. The run we are enjoying now has put this team in position for the Big Dance and a decent seed. I just hope we can continue our recent success. Archie and the staff should be given credit for pulling the pieces back together, because this team was in shambles one month ago.
Yesterday's game was a microcosm of our season.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:12 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
There were only 53(?) teams that year in the NCAA's so it's possible we were the last team...in fact, TBS's Sports gurus - lead by Nick Charles - went nuts on their post bracket analysis about 'how did Dayton get invited?'. I remember it vividly because I wrote him a scathing letter addressing our record vs those he thought were more deserving.

Regardless, we won't be the last pick on Sunday...and due to the balance of the field, UD could make a run. Just gotta stay away from an 8-9 seed.
Remember that well...
Old 03-14-2014, 10:20 AM
Colonel

Flyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant future
. . . Just gotta stay away from an 8-9 seed.

How many want to bet we get an 8-9 seed???
Old 03-14-2014, 10:30 AM

Here's the '84 bracket: http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...orical/1984/DI

Final count...48 teams.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:36 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
If you ignore that thing in the middle that says "Opening Round" then yes, there were 48 teams.
Mad Props to priceg75 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (03-14-2014)
Old 03-14-2014, 10:43 AM

Thanked 1,650 Times in 838 Posts
Canonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Sea Bass View Post
No matter what happens today I didn't expect them to have 23 wins at this point ... and especially after the swoon in January. IMO they have done enough to get an NCAA regardless of the outcome so I plan to enjoy the rest of the ride and not worry about the stuff they can't control.

It was great to see the way Devin and Vee really stepped up yesterday, hopefully we will get a repeat today.

I also hope Stan Van Gundy does the color commentary. He is the best IMO, he doesn't talk too much, his observations are spot on.
Kudos to Archie and the players. That was a massive hole to dig out of, and they got it done. First sign of fresh air and sunshine since 08-09. I really thought UD was still rebuilding given the age of our point guards, and condition of the most experienced guy, but they've come a long way.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:51 AM
Colonel

TerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond repute
I thought Vee really just took charge of our last 2 games.... Sometimes I think he defers to the other guys too much. We need all of em to step it up today!
GO FLYERS!
Old 03-14-2014, 11:02 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

IndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
My prediction: Few on this board will remember the nice run the Flyers have made and the nice things they are saying now if the Flyers lose today.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:06 AM
General

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TerryK_67 View Post
I thought Vee really just took charge of our last 2 games.... Sometimes I think he defers to the other guys too much. We need all of em to step it up today!
GO FLYERS!
I attended the Richmond game and had to listen to the Fordham game on the radio. He was outstanding in both games. He is playing with a whole lot of confidence. The only thing that concerns me are the shot-blockers he will be facing today. That seems to give all of our players the "yips."
Old 03-14-2014, 11:18 AM
Major

westchesterflyer is a name known to allwestchesterflyer is a name known to allwestchesterflyer is a name known to allwestchesterflyer is a name known to allwestchesterflyer is a name known to allwestchesterflyer is a name known to all
Originally Posted by UDBaby View Post
I wish I was as confident as some posters as to what today's game does and doesn't mean for the fate of the Flyers.

But, I do have to agree that the turnaround has been fantastic...commendable, from Archie all the way down the bench. The guys showed a lot of character and now seem to be playing with a chip on their shoulder, which makes them very dangerous.

I just feel that its gonna be way to easy for the committee to look at today's game as a play-in game and be justified in doing so. 'One of them gets in and today we'll find out which one."

Best scenario is for the Flyers to stay on a roll and leave no bout adout it!!!

Flyers this afternoon, Allman Brothers at the Beacon Theater tonight....Shaping up to be one helluva day!
Hope you go "Down to the Whipping Post" twice!
Mad Props to westchesterflyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDBaby (03-14-2014)