User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-04-2017, 10:25 PM
General

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
Player Assessment after the ODU Game

I was at the game and here is my assessment of the players:

1. John Crosby looked OK. He did force some drives to the bucket, but he only had one turnover. Not a a bad game for John. He looked trimmer and quicker than last year.

2. Jalen Crutcher looked very confident and very smooth. He is very quick and sees the court very well. He had a nice step-back three. I think we are going to feel quite comfortable with Jalen in there for 20 or more minutes per game.

3. Josh Cunningham looked so much better than anytime last year. In fact, he looked like a completely different player. He is so much more mobile and actually put the ball on the floor on numerous occasions. I don't think he was physically 100% at any time last season. Like Crosby, he looked thinner and quicker.

4. Darrell Davis was taking it to the hoop and finishing! Darrell looks like he could be getting 30 minutes plus each game. He looked much more confident out there than last season.

5. Trey Landers started and did not disappoint. He had some nice finishes around the bucket and was very active on the defensive end.

6. Jordan Davis looked pretty good to me. I don't think he is as quick as Jalen Crutcher, but he is quite athletic otherwise. He has some hops for 6'2"!

7. Matej Svoboda looked smooth as silk. He is definitely not afraid to pull the trigger. He is a smart player, probably due to his experience. Unlike a lot of European players, he is not afraid to put the ball on the floor and he finished nicely around the rim. Defensively, he did have trouble guarding some of the quicker players.

8. Jordan Pierce has a huge body. His hands need work and he doesn't have much touch around the basket. I think a red shirt would be ideal for him; it would give him an extra year to change some baby fat into muscle.

9. Kostas looked good. He has a huge wingspan; loves to put the ball on the floor; and he can flush it to finish around the basket. Defensively, he was playing defense far too much with his hands and not enough with his feet.

10. X-Man looked good. He didn't score many points but was good defensively and had a number of rebounds. He was trying to be Kendall Pollard-like by going coast to coast with the ball, but struggled doing so. He will be a complete force. He looks quicker and stronger to me.

In summary, the surprise players on the upside were Crutcher. Svoboda, Davis and Cunningham. On the downside, I think Pierce would benefit greatly from a red shirt. And John Crosby just needs to stop forcing the ball in the paint. But I must say, he looked like he had more court awareness than last year.

It never ceases to amaze me the quality of some of the D-2 players. They had a 5'9" point guard named Shemar Waugh who could start for the Flyers this year. They had a sweet-stroking 6'6" shooting guard named Sam Hickey. He reminded me of Damon Goodwin from 30 years ago. He had a quick trigger and could shoot nicely off the dribble. He could easily be a 6th man or even start for the Flyers. They had a few big guys whom I would term "space-eaters," but they were not much of a force.

All in all, I think it was a good start for this young team. Remember, they only have one scholarship senior. Crutcher and Kostas could be stars here in the next few years. Svoboda could be a force. If there is one area in which we may have some trouble is shooting the three-ball. That may change once they get some better looks. ODU was a good, well-coached team.
25 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TommyGola For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bat'71 (11-04-2017), Beatty Town Coach (11-06-2017), Cityengr (11-05-2017), ClaytonFlyerFan (11-05-2017), CvilleFlyer (11-05-2017), Falcon7 (11-05-2017), FIFO28 (11-07-2017), FLYER5 (11-07-2017), fuz_forward (11-06-2017), Justin (11-04-2017), MikeFlyer (11-05-2017), NYCFLYER (11-05-2017), Radar (11-06-2017), Ready Action (11-05-2017), rollo (11-05-2017), ruechalgrin (11-05-2017), Runnin' Rebel (11-05-2017), SeasonTicketFan (11-04-2017), shocka43 (11-05-2017), steverino015 (11-05-2017), superfan99 (11-07-2017), TrueTeam (11-05-2017), UACFlyer (11-05-2017), UDGutter2 (11-04-2017), UDTradition (11-05-2017)
Advertisement
Old 11-04-2017, 10:28 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Cunningham was nowhere close to 100% percent when he returned last year.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Justin (11-04-2017), ruechalgrin (11-05-2017)
Old 11-04-2017, 10:38 PM
Captain

Justin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant future
Watched from Texas, enjoyed hearing Bucky and Larry on the call, made me a little home sick.

Josh looked solid. Crutch looked like a starting sophomore, rather than a freshman. Baby D looked great (saw him call Crutch back to the huddle after an emotional foul, go Baby D!). Svoboda is what I expected, a seasoned vet masquerading as a freshman, I expect solid minutes and starting/first off the bench by midseason. One game down, looking forward to a season of potential and surprise!
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Justin For This Totally Excellent Post:
Beatty Town Coach (11-06-2017), fuz_forward (11-06-2017), steverino015 (11-05-2017)
Old 11-04-2017, 11:15 PM
2nd Lieutenant

Willy418 is a glorious beacon of lightWilly418 is a glorious beacon of lightWilly418 is a glorious beacon of lightWilly418 is a glorious beacon of lightWilly418 is a glorious beacon of light
Step back 3 by Crutcher reminded me of Donald Smith!
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Willy418 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (11-06-2017), ruechalgrin (11-05-2017), steverino015 (11-05-2017), UDTradition (11-05-2017)
Old 11-04-2017, 11:24 PM
Captain

Don is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to behold
Crutcher

I generally liked what I saw tonight. But I noticed a couple instances with Crutcher in which it seemed like he was reluctant to use his left hand. Either dribbling against pressure or shooting a layup from the left side. If this is a consistent pattern teams will overplay his strong side and minimize his effectiveness. Did anyone else notice this?
Mad Props to Don For This Totally Excellent Post:
ruechalgrin (11-05-2017)
Old 11-04-2017, 11:30 PM
General

TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Don View Post
I generally liked what I saw tonight. But I noticed a couple instances with Crutcher in which it seemed like he was reluctant to use his left hand. Either dribbling against pressure or shooting a layup from the left side. If this is a consistent pattern teams will overplay his strong side and minimize his effectiveness. Did anyone else notice this?
I did not notice the favoring of his right hand. I did notice that he attempted to dribble away from traffic and avoid double-teams. I saw those traits as being positive. You may be right; I will take notice in next Saturday's game against Ball State.
Old 11-04-2017, 11:31 PM
General

Originally Posted by Willy418 View Post
Step back 3 by Crutcher reminded me of Donald Smith!
It reminded me of Scoochie! He looked quite confident with that move.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TommyGola For This Totally Excellent Post:
Runnin' Rebel (11-05-2017), steverino015 (11-05-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 12:10 AM
Captain

GoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Smile

Originally Posted by TommyGola View Post
I I saw those traits as being positive.

You may be right; I will take notice in next Saturday's game against Ball State.
Tommy - You won't have the chance to take notice next Saturday . .the game is Friday nite.

Don't want you to miss it!
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to GoFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Beatty Town Coach (11-06-2017), cobra8u (11-05-2017), SeasonTicketFan (11-05-2017), Tcmow (11-07-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 07:43 AM
General

Originally Posted by GoFlyer View Post
Tommy - You won't have the chance to take notice next Saturday . .the game is Friday nite.

Don't want you to miss it!
Thanks GoFlyer!!!
Old 11-05-2017, 09:54 AM
Colonel

Gilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud of
Kostas has some skills but is still pretty raw - hesitant on the perimeter and not strong enough in the post, but once he starts getting comfortable and confident, I can’t wait to see what he can do - tons of talent. Looks like he will come off the bench at both C and PF.

Landers has improved a lot and looked like he was a leader in terms of energy and defense. It looks like he and Svoboda will split minutes at SF with D Davis and maybe Xeyrius sliding over there a little bit as well. Although Xeyrius was all PF yesterday. Svoboda can drive to the hoop in addition to having a nice shot. Defense looked a little shakey, but I like his overall game a lot.

Cunningham dominated the post and looked great around the basket. Hopefully he can do that versus bigger and better post players. OD was not strong in that area. Pierce is big but I don’t think he will play much this year - needs work defensively and could work on footwork, but I think he will develop a lot between now and next year.

D Davis looked great going to the hoop. Very quick and finished at the rim like I have never seen him do. He should play 28-30 minutes, primarily st SG. Jordan Davis will spell him at SG. He loves to shoot and hopefully at a decent %. JD can play some defense as well - great energy.

Crosby looked ok - better than last year. Crutcher can give some good minutes at point off the bench.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Gilchrist's Autograph 2; 11-05-2017 at 09:57 AM..
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gilchrist's Autograph 2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
fuz_forward (11-06-2017), ruechalgrin (11-05-2017), SeasonTicketFan (11-05-2017), UDGutter2 (11-05-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 11:24 AM
Captain

UD_NY is just really niceUD_NY is just really niceUD_NY is just really niceUD_NY is just really nice
If Xeyrius rebounds like that all year he'll be all A-10. He owned the glass.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:44 AM

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Remember the competition. Ohio Dominican finished 14-12 in DII last year. (or whatever Bucky called them). They appeared to have a very weak front line.

Good game to warm up the new players. Anthony has stated several times that the team is behind where he wants them to be right now, primarily due to injuries.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (11-06-2017), Jeff (11-05-2017), Lifelong Flyer Fan (11-05-2017), ruechalgrin (11-05-2017), UDTradition (11-05-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 12:26 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
I think that Crosby played a little better than people on here want to give him credit for. Yes, he was out of control at times, but had a 4:1 A/To and looked much better at being able to get the ball where it needed to be than he has in the past. As usual, he had a few forced shots, but a couple really good shots that just didn't go down. If he cuts down on forcing shots and plays within himself, he could be a solid A10 PG. He won't be Scoochie, but he did look much improved in my opinion.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (11-05-2017), fuz_forward (11-06-2017), Glen Clark (11-07-2017), UDTradition (11-05-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 12:51 PM
Colonel

redbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud of
I think that's the key with Crosby. Did those shots "just not go down" last night but they'll go down more often than not this season? With Crosby he still has to prove it. On the positive side I was reminded of how athletic he is. If he can use that to make a name for himself on D it would be a good starting point for him. If his shot isn't there teams will sag on him in much the way they did against London Warren. But the Jacksonville Jet still made an impact on D and in the way he ran the team overall.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to redbengal For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (11-07-2017), Gazoo (11-06-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 01:44 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,244 Posts
C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
I just want Crosby to do his best Khari Price impersonation without getting injured. Would everybody be okay with that?
Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
Beatty Town Coach (11-06-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 02:49 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,029 Times in 766 Posts
jumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond repute
I agree that Jordan Pierce would benefit from a red shirt, but I don't think that's much of a possibility with only 10 scholarship players. I'm not sure if you can teach quickness, but Jordan certainly needs some work in that area.
Old 11-05-2017, 03:25 PM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jumpin' joe View Post
I agree that Jordan Pierce would benefit from a red shirt, but I don't think that's much of a possibility with only 10 scholarship players. I'm not sure if you can teach quickness, but Jordan certainly needs some work in that area.
Had to look it up - Freshmen can play in exhibition games and still red-shirt, upperclasssmen cannot. We will see what AG and Pierce decide going forward.
Old 11-05-2017, 03:31 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by C-time View Post
I just want Crosby to do his best Khari Price impersonation without getting injured. Would everybody be okay with that?
That's a lot to ask since he's so far been the polar opposite of Price. He's not been a good FT shooter and he looks to score where Price stayed within himself and would be happy with zero points and zero turnovers. In his first two years, I always thought that Crosby's outside and FT style of shooting looked more wild than Kendall's.

While you'd like him to be just a game manager than Price, I think he thinks of himself as a Kevin Dillard type.

These are my thoughts based on the last 2 seasons. I think he will improve, but he's got some hotdog to his play and I don't think you can take that out of somebody completely.

Can anybody give comment to how the team defense looked as a whole? I really cannot picture, based on the personnel, that we will look near as intimidating with our speed as we have with Scooch, Kyle and Cooke and feel we won't be seeing much in transition offense.
Old 11-05-2017, 03:40 PM
General

Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud69 View Post
Had to look it up - Freshmen can play in exhibition games and still red-shirt, upperclasssmen cannot. We will see what AG and Pierce decide going forward.
In today's game it seems like a bad gamble to redshirt someone unless you play it by ear. In other words, have him on the bench and only use him during his freshman season if something like what happened to the Flyers in 2014-2015 happens. With the amount of transferring and injuries that can take up to most of or all of a season not suiting up, I think you let them play through their freshman seasons and just try to find their replacement in a timely manner before their eligibility is up.

Also, let's remember that he was AM's recruit and while AG is very happy to have him now, by AG's fifth season, he will want a team that's 100 percent recruited by himself to fit his full vision of play style.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:06 PM
General

Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
That's a lot to ask since he's so far been the polar opposite of Price. He's not been a good FT shooter and he looks to score where Price stayed within himself and would be happy with zero points and zero turnovers. In his first two years, I always thought that Crosby's outside and FT style of shooting looked more wild than Kendall's.

While you'd like him to be just a game manager than Price, I think he thinks of himself as a Kevin Dillard type.

These are my thoughts based on the last 2 seasons. I think he will improve, but he's got some hotdog to his play and I don't think you can take that out of somebody completely.

Can anybody give comment to how the team defense looked as a whole? I really cannot picture, based on the personnel, that we will look near as intimidating with our speed as we have with Scooch, Kyle and Cooke and feel we won't be seeing much in transition offense.
Your question on team defense was quite pertinent. Frankly, I was a bit surprised, as Coach Grant's VCU team played a full-court/trapping defense. I did not see any of that. In fact, this was more of a Don Donoher defense - very little hedging, working through picks, and straight man-to-man. I was expecting more of a trapping defense with a lot of pushing of the ball. There was some of that, but not as much as I anticipated.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:37 PM

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
I liked what I saw. Granted, it is what it is at this point in the year against sub par competition...

Number one...sharing the ball. With a pro style iso/pick and roll/handoff motion there aren't a ton of opportunities for ball reversals. What you do get is penetration, kick outs, and dump offs to posts in the dead spots when defenders collapse on penetration. They had a bunch of assists. This is huge and shows that everyone will get involved without heavy lifting being required by a ton of people.

Rebounding...they rebounded well. They need to do it all season.

Effort...It was mentioned on the post game, but it was VERY evident. They kept playing...no one took plays off...on defense or offense. This is something they are going to have to do all season. Different lineups all game and there weren't too many lulls.

I don't think these guys are going to have a ridiculous good season, but I think they will compete game in and game out. This gets you opportunities. I hope I am right as I would rather see them play their butts off and compete in games they aren't picked to win. I hate to use the term "rebuild"...but based on some of the individual skills observed...the only trend is going to be way upward post 2018...
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Beatty Town Coach (11-06-2017), FLYER5 (11-07-2017), ruechalgrin (11-05-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 05:41 PM
Captain

224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute224 has a reputation beyond repute
It was a very small sample size against a bad team. Let's not forget 2 years ago when Mikesell had 20+ in the exhibition. Ryan isn't a bad player, but he also didn't sniff 20+ the rest of the season. So let's take everything with a grain of salt.

That being said, my biggest takeaway was that Crutcher looked great. If he continues to play as advertised, he will be challenging JC for the starting spot soon; similar to Scoochie challenging Khari Price for big minutes before the end of his freshman year.

My other comment would be about Jordan Davis. He finished 1-9 from the field but I don't think we should be worried. He's a shooter. He had great form and reminded me a little of Sibert. As he develops over the next 4 years he will put up some big numbers in games, and also have nights where he goes 1-9.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to 224 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (11-07-2017), Gazoo (11-06-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 07:40 PM
General

Originally Posted by 224 View Post
It was a very small sample size against a bad team. Let's not forget 2 years ago when Mikesell had 20+ in the exhibition. Ryan isn't a bad player, but he also didn't sniff 20+ the rest of the season. So let's take everything with a grain of salt.
That was not an exhibition game, that was the first regular season game. Your point still stands that you can't rate with such small sample size, especially in an exhibition game.
Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDGutter2 (11-06-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 08:49 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,763 Times in 928 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
There is no way that Pierce is redshirting. None whatsoever. We are already down 3 scholarship players, why in heavens would we intentionally make that number 4?

I was pleased with what I saw. Cunningham is a stud and so is Matej. Davis and Landers seem vastly improved.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to hawkoooo For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (11-05-2017), frisco flyer (11-05-2017), Gazoo (11-06-2017), redbengal (11-05-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 09:12 PM

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
They looked good. I think they will have trouble with Crosby. He is not a PG. 4 or 5 times he went 1 on 1 and took an awful shot. He needs to run the offense. Anthony had a long talk with him late in the game.

Tonight was one game but it is something to watch going forward
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Sea Bass For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (11-05-2017), FLYER5 (11-07-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 09:39 PM

shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Crosby comes down one minute looking composed and handling the ball well...and the next leaving his feet and getting bailed out.

If he stays composed and under control he will be fine and will stay the starter. I don't look at him to be a crazy scorer...I look at him to limit turnovers and run the offense. He shoots well enough to keep defenses honest without being a London Warren...what sinks his ship is when he leaves his feet with nowhere to go. It is one of my pet peeves. He looks as if he can play the part. He needs to keep his head with it.
Beatty Town Coach (11-06-2017), FLYER5 (11-07-2017), m21eagle45 (11-06-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 09:51 PM
Lieutenant General

C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post
Crosby comes down one minute looking composed and handling the ball well...and the next leaving his feet and getting bailed out.

If he stays composed and under control he will be fine and will stay the starter. I don't look at him to be a crazy scorer...I look at him to limit turnovers and run the offense. He shoots well enough to keep defenses honest without being a London Warren...what sinks his ship is when he leaves his feet with nowhere to go. It is one of my pet peeves. He looks as if he can play the part. He needs to keep his head with it.
So you're saying you want him to be Khari Price!!!!!

He just needs to stop trying to do too much.
Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
springborofan (11-05-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 09:52 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,761 Times in 1,129 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
Mostly I was keyed on the Freshmen. From what I could see, Crutcher, Davis and Kostas all appear to have pretty high upside. I think Svboda is the most ready to contribute right now but by mid Jr. year he could be the fourth best of this group. Matej is more polished and physically ready than the others. He had a couple of good drives and I think I saw a Euro step on one of them!

It's hard to tell about the big fella. Judging his readiness compared to Big Steve, I'd say he is a behind Steve at this point but Steve had a redshirt year. There is a lot of clay there (ALOT--he is a big dude) so we'll see if he becomes an enforcer but he won't contribute much this year.
Mad Props to springborofan For This Totally Excellent Post:
shocka43 (11-05-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 09:58 PM

So you're saying you want him to be Khari Price!!!!!

He just needs to stop trying to do too much.
He's got better knees.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:13 PM
General

He's got better knees.
So besides the knees, you think he'd be the one we want at the FT line needing to sink two FTs at the end of games?
Old 11-05-2017, 10:37 PM
Colonel

tirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond repute

I think we're stuck with what Crosby can do. I think what needs to happen is everybody else on the team needs to be aware that Crosby will frequently drive into trouble and look for a panic outlet, and the rest of the team needs to make themselves available for that outlet. It's like Crosby is expecting somebody to miraculously be open, so the rest of the team need to anticipate his move and make themselves open somewhere for his heroics.

If I was playing, I would think "There he goes again, I better make a move to be in a position to save this!"

Chemistry. Crosby is what he is. He won't change right away. Maybe next year he may be LW or SS, but for now the rest of the Flyers need to be ready for his antics. He could be a good loose cannon weapon. Hit em where they don't expect it. But his teammates need to take advantage of his charge of the light brigade tactics and make themselves an outlet.

Thoughts after a few beers...
Mad Props to tirebiter For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (11-06-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 10:41 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by tirebiter View Post
I think we're stuck with what Crosby can do. I think what needs to happen is everybody else on the team needs to be aware that Crosby will frequently drive into trouble and look for a panic outlet, and the rest of the team needs to make themselves available for that outlet. It's like Crosby is expecting somebody to miraculously be open, so the rest of the team need to anticipate his move and make themselves open somewhere for his heroics.

If I was playing, I would think "There he goes again, I better make a move to be in a position to save this!"

Chemistry. Crosby is what he is. He won't change right away. Maybe next year he may be LW or SS, but for now the rest of the Flyers need to be ready for his antics. He could be a good loose cannon weapon. Hit em where they don't expect it. But his teammates need to take advantage of his charge of the light brigade tactics and make themselves an outlet.

Thoughts after a few beers...
Or maybe Crutcher can just play more than Crosby!

Thought after a few bourbons neat.
Old 11-06-2017, 12:08 AM
Captain

RamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud of
Some of you guys are really hoping for a reincarnation of London Warren??

Yuck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-06-2017, 01:31 AM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by RamodWaleskowski View Post
Some of you guys are really hoping for a reincarnation of London Warren??

Yuck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Not me!

I just want a nice calm season of Khari Price not turning the ball over and taking wide open shots.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:41 AM
General

Not me!

I just want a nice calm season of Khari Price not turning the ball over and taking wide open shots.
You'll get less turnovers and better shots from PG. At least I can't imagine that AG would come in and allow it to continue. I doubt he feels as obligated to Crosby as Archie did.

I always wonder if AG watched the Flyers like we(out of towners) do over the past few years. Was he at least a somewhat passive fan that kept tabs on his Alma Mater? If he did, he must have come in with some things he would demand that Crosby improve on. These are things that anybody can improve upon because they require not doing things rather than doing things that they might not possess in their skill set.

Last edited by Smitty10; 11-06-2017 at 01:43 AM..
Old 11-06-2017, 07:37 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting to note that the Flyers (for this game at least), have gone back to the conventional set up for player introductions. Starters seated on the bench and remaining players lined up either side on the court. Could've been just for the exhibition...we'll see. The students, however, maintained the arm-in-arm rocking back and forth.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:37 AM
Colonel

Atlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Interesting to note that the Flyers (for this game at least), have gone back to the conventional set up for player introductions. Starters seated on the bench and remaining players lined up either side on the court. Could've been just for the exhibition...we'll see. The students, however, maintained the arm-in-arm rocking back and forth.
True Team is gone new beginning new team and Coach
Old 11-06-2017, 09:04 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,324 Times in 443 Posts
Runnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond repute
True Team motto looks to be out... and the new theme appears to be "United".

It was actually funny to see it happening already in an exhibition game... but Ohio Dominican played the "London Warren" defense on Crosby - didn't come within 5 feet of him when he was out at the 3 pt line.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:41 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 10,037 Times in 2,598 Posts
lhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Runnin' Rebel View Post

It was actually funny to see it happening already in an exhibition game... but Ohio Dominican played the "London Warren" defense on Crosby - didn't come within 5 feet of him when he was out at the 3 pt line.
I hope most teams do that lol... John can actually shoot it pretty well from deep
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to lhsgolf19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (11-06-2017), hawkoooo (11-06-2017), Jeff (11-06-2017), JimBo (11-06-2017), m21eagle45 (11-06-2017), udisit19 (11-08-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 09:48 AM
General

Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,372 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Sea Bass View Post
I think they will have trouble with Crosby. He is not a PG. 4 or 5 times he went 1 on 1 and took an awful shot. He needs to run the offense.
For the most part that was after the game was well in hand and it looked to me like JC was trying to get himself going. He knew he could elevate over his man, he just didn't make the shots. A couple of times no one was even inside the 3 point line when he shot it, which is a bad shot, but it looked like he was just trying to get himself going for the year. I hope.

No, they did that once or twice after he missed a few shots in a row and wanted to get in his head because they knew the coach was yelling at him to run the offense. Then they left him open later in the game and he hit a 3 in the corner because they didn't guard him. This will not be an issue, he's an adequate outside shooter.
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
m21eagle45 (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
So besides the knees, you think he'd be the one we want at the FT line needing to sink two FTs at the end of games?
Until someone proves that they can run the offense better than Crosby then you play the cards you are dealt.

I imagine that AG has a much better grasp on who is more capable of being the starting PG right now than we do. Do you base your assessment off of a guy that played one game off of a JV team?
Figgie123 (11-06-2017), FLYER5 (11-07-2017), springborofan (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 10:00 AM
General

Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,372 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
My review of the game:

Our bigs outclassed a lesser opponent, BUT, they still looked really good. I haven't seen someone in a Flyer uniform as composed around the bucket as Cunningham in a while. He didn't come close to traveling, he just pivoted around and scored. Really looked great.

Guard play will haunt us all year. Some days our guards will make us think we're on our way to the sweet 16, and some days our guards will make us think Grant is getting fired before the end of the year. But there's potential there. JC spent less time dribbling at his eyeballs.

Kostas is good, but he's still a puppy. His paws are still to big for him. His footwork is sloppy and he's not committed to defense yet. But oh my the possibilities.

DD always abuses lesser competition, I don't think he has the ball skills to get those drives against better competition. But we'll see. 7 shots per game would be about right for him.

Who is this Trey Landers kid?? Wow, from scared-looking freshman to a guy who looked very, very comfortable out there.

Svoboda is likely going to be about what he is now for the next 4 years. Not huge upside, but that's just fine. He'll be that guy that people from other A10 schools say "isn't this his 7th year at Dayton?!?!"

Pierce is not ready for this action, but, he's another one who is really going to be something as he matures.

Nobody looked bad. How many years do we see guys for the first time and think "THIS GUY was hyped??" Everyone looked OK. I think we're just not talented enough this year to make the NCAA tournament. Our key players need a year to mature.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (11-07-2017), Jeff (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 10:01 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,690 Times in 2,510 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
Thought it was the interesting that AG put in Crutcher to run the point with Crosby at the 2 spot. I expect to see that a little more this year as I believe Crosby is better suited to play the 2.
Mad Props to TA111 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Jeff (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 10:07 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,690 Times in 2,510 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
Until someone proves that they can run the offense better than Crosby then you play the cards you are dealt.

I imagine that AG has a much better grasp on who is more capable of being the starting PG right now than we do. Do you base your assessment off of a guy that played one game off of a JV team?
Agreed that it is difficult to assess based upon one scrimmage. I think we pretty much know what we have with Crosby. Crutcher is the wildcard. According to those who have seen him in practice, i.e., Bucky and Brooks Hall, Crutcher has a big upside. Hall even went on the post game to predict an A10 all-rookie year. I guess we'll see.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TA111 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (11-07-2017), shocka43 (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 10:07 AM

Anyone give thought that the other guys on the floor are just better basketball players and bigger threats?

It has much less to do with playing off Crosby due to him not being an effective shooter and the fact that your main weapons on the floor were Williams, Cunningham, and Landers.

The odds are better in your favor when you are undersized and you sag your perimeter defenders in order to clog the lane on the guys that are going to beat you. ODU was undersized and needed to limit the touches to the post. The easiest way to do that is to sag off of the wing. That's what they did. Williams got limited touches. Cunningham torched them. Landers got a bunch of looks headed towards the rim. These three guys have a better chance of killing an undersized team than Crosby can from the perimter.

This post isn't defending Crosby's play...because that simply isn't the case. Just the fact that one of the easiest things to do with team defense is to sag your perimeter players to make the interior a tough place. Teams that are equal to or greater in size are going to play Crosby true. Teams that are smaller are going to clog the paint.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (11-07-2017), Gazoo (11-06-2017), m21eagle45 (11-06-2017), Runnin' Rebel (11-06-2017), SeasonTicketFan (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 12:39 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,761 Times in 1,129 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post

Svoboda is likely going to be about what he is now for the next 4 years. Not huge upside, but that's just fine. He'll be that guy that people from other A10 schools say "isn't this his 7th year at Dayton?!?!" .
Is there anyone else who had an immediate negative flashback of Dustin Hellenga from Rhode Island after reading the comment: Isn't this his 7th year? If he torments URI fans as much as Hellenga tormented me, Matej Svboda may end up being one of my all time favorites!
Mad Props to springborofan For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (11-07-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 12:43 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
I don't know. "Be normal" is pretty hard to top.
Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
KC Flyer (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by springborofan View Post
Is there anyone else who had an immediate negative flashback of Dustin Hellenga from Rhode Island after reading the comment: Isn't this his 7th year? If he torments URI fans as much as Hellenga tormented me, Matej Svboda may end up being one of my all time favorites!
The guy that seemed to play forever was that Cardinal dude from Purdue.
Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 01:14 PM
General

Thanked 4,319 Times in 2,123 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
You are wrong, the longest tenure of any college player in the history of the world was the run of Alonzo Mourning, never mind that he played with Dikembe Mutombo for 3 years at Georgetown, I swear by the end of Alonzo's fourth season he had been there for a decade or more.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:48 PM

Thanked 6,122 Times in 4,168 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Scott Padgett at UK, seemed like he was there for a long time.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:11 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,223 Times in 585 Posts
CvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
I can guarantee you our opponents, especially A-10 teams, felt that way about Keith Waleskowski!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CvilleFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
shocka43 (11-06-2017), springborofan (11-07-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 02:13 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CvilleFlyer View Post
I can guarantee you our opponents, especially A-10 teams, felt that way about Keith Waleskowski!
They also felt that way about Scoochie.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CvilleFlyer (11-06-2017), FLYER5 (11-07-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 02:21 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,223 Times in 585 Posts
CvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Especially Davidson! My son and I were there in Charlotte last season and I don't think I've ever seen a player dominate and take over an overtime like Scoochie did.
Mad Props to CvilleFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 06:53 PM
Colonel

Gilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud ofGilchrist's Autograph 2 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by TA111 View Post
Thought it was the interesting that AG put in Crutcher to run the point with Crosby at the 2 spot. I expect to see that a little more this year as I believe Crosby is better suited to play the 2.
When I saw that, it looked to me like Crosby was running point with Crutcher out on the wing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-06-2017, 08:38 PM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
La Vance Fields from Pitt. Ten year vet.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:41 PM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
My review of the game:

Our bigs outclassed a lesser opponent, BUT, they still looked really good. I haven't seen someone in a Flyer uniform as composed around the bucket as Cunningham in a while. He didn't come close to traveling, he just pivoted around and scored. Really looked great.

Guard play will haunt us all year. Some days our guards will make us think we're on our way to the sweet 16, and some days our guards will make us think Grant is getting fired before the end of the year. But there's potential there. JC spent less time dribbling at his eyeballs.

Kostas is good, but he's still a puppy. His paws are still to big for him. His footwork is sloppy and he's not committed to defense yet. But oh my the possibilities.

DD always abuses lesser competition, I don't think he has the ball skills to get those drives against better competition. But we'll see. 7 shots per game would be about right for him.

Who is this Trey Landers kid?? Wow, from scared-looking freshman to a guy who looked very, very comfortable out there.

Svoboda is likely going to be about what he is now for the next 4 years. Not huge upside, but that's just fine. He'll be that guy that people from other A10 schools say "isn't this his 7th year at Dayton?!?!"

Pierce is not ready for this action, but, he's another one who is really going to be something as he matures.

Nobody looked bad. How many years do we see guys for the first time and think "THIS GUY was hyped??" Everyone looked OK. I think we're just not talented enough this year to make the NCAA tournament. Our key players need a year to mature.
Nice job.

Trey Landers is Johnny Davis, Velvet, & B Rob, all in one.

OK, maybe not. Put me in the category that says he develops into a solid player.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Jeff For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (11-07-2017), San Diego Flyer (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 01:29 AM
Colonel

redbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud of
He definitely played one year too long for the Flyers' taste. I was there to witness the 2000 NCAA Tournament game in Tucson. My recollection was that, on Brooks Hall's 2nd FT that would have tied the game with 6 seconds left, Ashman got the rebound but Cardinal flopped and got a crucial foul called. Cardinal missed the 1-and-1 with 3 seconds left but the Flyers were left with only a desperation heave by David Morris at that point. I know memories can play tricks but that's how I still see it in my mind.

Not many people remember that Purdue went on to the Elite Eight that year after sneaking one out by a point against Dayton in the First Round.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:25 AM

Thanked 1,302 Times in 674 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by redbengal View Post
He definitely played one year too long for the Flyers' taste. I was there to witness the 2000 NCAA Tournament game in Tucson. My recollection was that, on Brooks Hall's 2nd FT that would have tied the game with 6 seconds left, Ashman got the rebound but Cardinal flopped and got a crucial foul called. Cardinal missed the 1-and-1 with 3 seconds left but the Flyers were left with only a desperation heave by David Morris at that point. I know memories can play tricks but that's how I still see it in my mind.

Not many people remember that Purdue went on to the Elite Eight that year after sneaking one out by a point against Dayton in the First Round.
My recollection is vague but similar, at least on the flop. Also reminded me of the year Illinois knocked Norm Grevey out of the game. Flyers went on to win that game but lost to Arkansas 86-84 in the 2nd round. I always felt they would have won that game had Grevey not been injured. Arkansas went all the way to the Final Four that year, beating North Carolina and Texas.
Mad Props to TXFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 09:14 AM

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
Steve Bardo nailed Grevey as he was going in for a layup and he landed flat on his back. A cheap shot.
Mad Props to Sea Bass For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 09:50 AM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Not me!

I did not see their shot selection, but Crosby, Jalen, and DD are showing 12 assists vs 3 turnovers in the stats, while averaging 24 minutes each. Hopefully that's a sign of good things to come.

Now back to the warts discussions.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:53 AM

Thanked 15,872 Times in 6,979 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Sea Bass View Post
Steve Bardo nailed Grevey as he was going in for a layup and he landed flat on his back. A cheap shot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGMjtVPfn-g

I'm not defending Bardo at all, but if Norm doesn't lazily 1-arm the left-handed layup he probably isn't off balance and doesn't get hurt....and 99% of us - in that situation - would have anticipated contact and gone up strong in order to avoid injury.

Again, I'm not defending Bardo but if you watch the video (above) at the 2:39 mark you see Bardo and Norm shake hands and a few seconds later Bardo tries to help Norm get up.

Hard foul...yes. Exactly the type of foul I would have expected a Flyer to deliver to anyone attempting the same sort of shot.

Cheap shot. Not.

Again...I'm not defending Bardo!
bigudfan (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Hard foul...yes. Exactly the type of foul I would have expected a Flyer to deliver to anyone attempting the same sort of shot.
That foul gets called much differently in today's game. Hard foul yes. Violent swing of the arm with contact across the head?
Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 10:03 AM

rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
That foul gets called much differently in today's game. Hard foul yes. Violent swing of the arm with contact across the head?
I 100% agree with you and if King Rollo were reffing and saw that contact tonite it would be 100% flagrant...but today isn't 1990.
shocka43 (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 10:05 AM

I 100% agree with you and if King Rollo were reffing and saw that contact tonite it would be 100% flagrant...but today isn't 1990.
If you didn't call that when we go down to Kettering you'd have to toss me out of the game!!!
Old 11-07-2017, 10:08 AM

If you didn't call that when we go down to Kettering you'd have to toss me out of the game!!!
I don't toss 6'5" 260 lb coaches. I call 9-1-1!
Old 11-07-2017, 10:18 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,151 Times in 2,712 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
Call 911 and shocka43 shows up. He is coaching on his lunch break.
Mad Props to cj For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 10:59 AM

Thanked 1,302 Times in 674 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Call 911 and shocka43 shows up. He is coaching on his lunch break.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:27 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,001 Times in 493 Posts
Flyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond repute
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGMjtVPfn-g

Cheap shot. Not.

Again...I'm not defending Bardo!
I’ll give you that it’s not a cheap shot but I think it was certainly flagrant/intentional. The fact that you regret the consequences of your actions immediately after doesn’t excuse you from those consequences.