UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 09-18-2016, 09:58 AM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,358 Times in 2,463 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Tracking our rpi

Coming out of the weekend at 13-1 our figgie rpi remained basically the same and we sit at 23 as of Sunday am. We got some help from 4 teams on our schedule. I'm looking at everything from the perspective of "bad luck" happening during the A10 tourney (injury or illness) and we need an at large bid to go dancing.

Going into the weekend we only had one team in the 50s. That was SIU at 56. Since the committee looks at your record against Top 50 teams, I'm looking at who on our schedule has a shot at moving above 50 in the final rpi. Today there appears to be 4 of those teams because these teams had good weekends.

52 Loyola Marymount - BYU will probably win the WCC but LMU could finish 2nd. They currently sit 4 th.

58 Miami - currently 2nd in the MAC standings. We have 4 teams from this conference on our schedule. Miami, Toledo, Ohio, Kent State. I wouldn't count Ohio out, but at this point we need teams to move into the top 50, so we need to pull for Miami and Toledo.

62 So ILL- they currently sit 2nd in the MVC. I would expect Wichita State to win this conference, but SIU 2nd would help us.

63 Toledo - see Miami above.

The WCC and the MVC have been multi-bid conferences for awhile with 3 bids being the norm. Down years they get 2. If all of these teams can move above 50, our record will be 3-1 if the committee is looking at us for an at-large bid.
Advertisement
Old 09-18-2016, 10:41 AM
Colonel

udisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to behold
We also have two top teams in the OVC in our win column. If SIUE keeps winning their RPI could stay in the top 100. Austin Peay looks they should also be near the top of the OVC and that should keep their win / loss record pretty strong. I never thought Dayton would be hoping for good seasons by SIUE and Austin Peay to keep their rpi above 40, but the unexpected is what makes sports so interesting.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to udisit19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (09-18-2016)
Old 09-18-2016, 10:54 AM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
I expect UD to keep winning and win the conference tournament. We expect to do that every year. But bad things happen like injuries. It looks like SLU is experiencing an injury to a key OH and the scheduled tough this year expecting to have that player. They certainly did not expect to be 4-10 right now. Ironically, even with that record, the sit with the second highest rpi after Dayton in the A10. They should do ok in the A10. I just don't think you an go from 165 to above 40 in our conference this year with basically only conference play left.
Old 09-24-2016, 05:07 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Don't look now, but as of 5pm Saturday, 9/24, UD is 1-1 against the Top 50 in adjusted/bonus RPI. (On the verge of 2-1)

Miami (Ohio) is at 43, Loyola Marymount is at 45, and Southern Illinois is now at 52 (50 unadjusted).
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (09-24-2016), Lifelong Flyer Fan (09-24-2016)
Old 09-24-2016, 05:28 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks Figgie and Becky. Starting to look like the team could still get into the tournament even if they don't get the auto bid although there are a lot of bad record teams left.

I do have a couple of questions to see if I actually understand this.

Let's say that UD is playing someone with the #10 rpi and the #200 rpi

Does the rpi calculation take into account who you beat and who you lose to or is it only based upon who you play?

As an example where UD stands right now. If they lost in one weekend to the #10 rpi team and beat the #200 rpi team is this better, the same or worse than beating the #10 rpi team and losing to the #200 rpi team?
Old 09-25-2016, 10:13 AM

Looking at the A10...

These are the teams I think will finish with winning records and their current record:

GW 6-8 - we play them once and won
RI 6-7 - we play them once
SLU 6-10 - we play them twice and they have the farthest to dig out
VCU 9-7 - we play them twice and I think they will be just over 50-50

I guess the teams we play twice count twice in our rpi math, so we probably should root for them to win. Unfortunately I think GW and RI might be the next two best teams in the A10 this year. SLU had the toughest schedule with 6 of their opponents in the top 50 rpi. Those 6 teams should win a lot the rest of the year. That helps our math. RI and GW have 2 in the top 50 and VCU has 1. If SlLU can catch fire in the A10, they could really help us, but if not, their opponents/OOC schedule should help us.

LaSalle and Fordham are both 8-8. One of these teams will be the 6th a10 tourney team. Davidson and GM are both 4-10.
Old 09-25-2016, 04:34 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDBrian View Post
Thanks Figgie and Becky. Starting to look like the team could still get into the tournament even if they don't get the auto bid although there are a lot of bad record teams left.

I do have a couple of questions to see if I actually understand this.

Let's say that UD is playing someone with the #10 rpi and the #200 rpi

Does the rpi calculation take into account who you beat and who you lose to or is it only based upon who you play?

As an example where UD stands right now. If they lost in one weekend to the #10 rpi team and beat the #200 rpi team is this better, the same or worse than beating the #10 rpi team and losing to the #200 rpi team?
Who you beat or who you lose to means nothing. It is just your record, the records of the teams you played, and the records of the opponents of the teams you played.

So, losing to #200, and beating #10 will have the same net effect on your RPI as the reverse.

Of course, when the selection committee looks at your record and sees that you lost to a #200, that's not a good thing.

Let me just add one minor point. In women's volleyball, specifically, they do "bonuses" and "penalties" added to your standard RPI value. If you beat at top 25 or top 50 team, you get an addition to your RPI. If you lose to a team below 285 or below 310, you get a deduction to your RPI. (Top 25 and Below 310 is a double value addition/deduction.)

Figgie
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (09-25-2016), UDBrian (09-25-2016)
Old 09-25-2016, 04:42 PM

I didn't know about the bonus and penalties. Thanks.

Also, since we have no top 25 opponents so far this year, hopefully we show a lot this year with a good young team to be able to line up 1-2 of those each year going forward. As of late afternoon on Sunday, we have a 2-1 record with the top 50

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 09-25-2016 at 04:51 PM..
Old 09-25-2016, 07:00 PM
General of the Air Force

UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks Figgie, that is what I thought. But, I didn't know about the additional points and subtracted points
Old 09-28-2016, 07:51 AM

LMU almost knocked off #6 San Diego last night. Lost in 5. They have another shot at them in October. Both good teams in our schedule chain. Hopefully they will finish 1-2 in their conference but BYU might have something to say about that. Both should make the NCAAs. LMU is young just like UD.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:14 AM
Colonel

NovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by BeckysTXA View Post
LMU almost knocked off #6 San Diego last night. Lost in 5. They have another shot at them in October. Both good teams in our schedule chain. Hopefully they will finish 1-2 in their conference but BYU might have something to say about that. Both should make the NCAAs. LMU is young just like UD.
I watched the first 4 sets and LMU was playing tough. They won sets 1 and 2 then SD put it together in 3 and 4. Will watch the 5th set today. Made me proud of how well we competed against LMU and could have won!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to NovaFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (09-29-2016), Lifelong Flyer Fan (09-28-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 09:27 AM

If I remember correctly -- always suspect at my age -- I think LMU was a Sweet 16 team last year???? I know against us they played 4 freshmen, so that program is sitting in great shape for the next 3 years, as are we.
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
NovaFlyer (09-29-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 05:03 PM
General of the Air Force

UD also has a young team. We have mentioned Jamie on here multiple times, her talent is so obvious.

But, Lauren is only a sophomore and continues to improve.

Margo Wolf is a stud in the back row and she is only a sophomore

Kendyll is only a sophomore

We haven't seen as much of the other freshman but Sierra puts up a big block and puts the ball down about 6' from the net in warmups.

Brooke will be a star at UD at whatever position she decides to focus on.

Jordan appears capable of developing into a multi talented outside hitter, maybe she can be similar to Amanda C but that is a very high standard to reach in my opinion. If she can become that type of player we will be very happy.

Brianna is only a redshirt freshman!

I haven't seen much of Olivia Dubay

I also haven't seen Julia Brown play

There is a lot of young talent but there is still an opportunity for freshmen to come in and play. Tim has never been afraid of playing young talent.
Mad Props to UDBrian For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (09-29-2016)
Old 10-02-2016, 11:16 AM

After sweeping SLU, Dayton slides to a Figgie rpi of 35. Ive been watching our SOS ranking on Figgie rpi. We have consistently been the second weakest schedule in the top 50. That was with only a couple A10 teams on the calculation so I don't think that's going to get better as the season plays out. Today we slipped to the weakest. All we can do is keep winning and getting better and we are.
Old 10-02-2016, 02:33 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Both Southern Illinois and Loyola Marymount lost on Saturday. That doesn't help our RPI since that is the 50% of the RPI calculation, opponent's winning percentage.
Old 10-02-2016, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Figgie123 View Post
Both Southern Illinois and Loyola Marymount lost on Saturday. That doesn't help our RPI since that is the 50% of the RPI calculation, opponent's winning percentage.
And I saw they dropped out of the 26-50 segment so we are 1-0 with teams in that segment, which the committee looks at in at large evaluations.

Nebraska lost, so no undefeated teams this year, so UD back at the top of win percentage in the country - or close based on matches played.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 10-02-2016 at 05:46 PM..
Old 10-06-2016, 11:11 AM

Holding strong at Figgie rpi 35 thru mid-week matches. Looking at the a10 stats, Rhode Island looks strong and Fordham pulled an upset last weekend in a sweep. I don't know if maybe they had an injured player early in the year, but we can't take either of these teams lightly this weekend. And we will get everyone's best shot. We are a big target. Hopefully we beat these two teams and our rpi stays steady. I think our cutoff at-large number if we need it is 42-44 range.

I'm also hoping some teams we have played can get on a roll. LMU is 53 and SoILL is 54. We need them to move up into the 40s. Toledo is 89. We need a couple of the following teams to move above 100. SIUE 107 - X 118 - Ohio 138 - SLU 142. All have a shot at moving up. And the following have a shot at moving above 150. RIsland will move up win or lose against us because our 16-1 record moves into their SOS calculation. They are currently 160. NWestern 161 - VCU 163 - Chat 165.

Looking for a good rpi weekend.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:46 PM

Our SOS rank moved up from 155 to 150 after the weekend and we moved a couple spots up depending on when you popped out to figgies rpi. Approximately 3 spots. We play LaSalle twice and Fordham once, so LaSalle winning that match helped us. And we took care of business in our two matches.

The next 3 weeks will be interesting to follow and track the impact on our rpi. We have LaSalle currently with a SOS ranking of 252. FYI there are 334 D1 teams. Their record is 9-13. Playing UD and SLU this weekend will probably drop them to 9-15. The SLU match is a wash since we play both 2x so we get credit for whomever wins, but take the hit on the lose by the other team. LaSalle's weak schedule also hurts us. I do think LaSalle scheduled well for their program. Our record and SOS will help their rpi because both are better than were they currently sit. As will SLUs. LaSalle being firmly out of an rpi of 300 is a great step forward for this program. Still hurts our rpi, but this program is moving in the right direction.

Ironically, Duquesne might hurt us just as much. Them playing SLU is a wash just like with LaSalle above. Dukes record of 16-6 will help us. But their SOS is one of the weakest in the nation. They currently rank 303 out of 334. Basically the bottom 10% of all D1s. All those records from weak teams on their schedule get folded into our math after this weekend. It will be very interesting to see where that leaves our rpi.

We get both these two teams again in two weekends plus Morehead State who also has a losing record and weak SOS. Like I said, will be interning to see how it all plays out. Hopefully other teams in our OOC will win their matches and help balance out the impact of the math we absorb from the teams on our schedule.

And, if I'm understanding the rpi wrong since I'm just trying to learn it this year, for those of you who know it better, please jump in and correct any and all of this if I have it wrong. Thanks.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:52 AM

Good news on the SOS front on Sunday morning with 3 regular season matches and another assumed 2 matches in the conference tournament. Our SOS is sitting at 136 this am. A week and a half ago it was at 136. We've beaten some pretty weak times in the last 2 weeks but have gotten help from teams down schedule that are winning. We also got help from SLU's strong SOS which sits at 41.

I expect us to win the A10 tournament, but we appear to have some cushion right now if we need an at-large bid. However, before anyone gets too comfortable, I will give you an example of what can happen if you don't take care of business.

2002 Western Washington. Had an rpi of 24. (UD currently 34) 3 Top 50 wins. (UD currently 1 Top 50 win) Only 2 losses, with the second one being their conference tournament. (That's what UD should have if they lost the conference tournament.) They didn't get in. Now most people think the committee flat out made a mistake. They think the committee had them slotted as the auto bid, and when they lost their tournament, speculation is the committee forgot to add them to the list of at large teams and they therefore were never considered. This is speculation, but the bottom line is they didn't get an at large bid.

Moral of the story is TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS and secure the auto bid.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
NovaFlyer (10-30-2016), UDBrian (10-30-2016)
Old 10-30-2016, 10:41 AM
General of the Air Force

There are no guarantees without winning the a10 tournament. There are many teams in the at large bubble who will have much stronger strengths of schedule and wins against top 50 teams. We have seen before that selection groups can choose to emphasize whatever they want

The way the team played Friday they are capable of upsetting one or more teams in the ncaa tournament
Mad Props to UDBrian For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (10-30-2016)
Old 10-30-2016, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by BeckysTXA View Post
Good news on the SOS front on Sunday morning with 3 regular season matches and another assumed 2 matches in the conference tournament. Our SOS is sitting at 136 this am. A week and a half ago it was at 136. We've beaten some pretty weak times in the last 2 weeks but have gotten help from teams down schedule that are winning. We also got help from SLU's strong SOS which sits at 41.

I expect us to win the A10 tournament, but we appear to have some cushion right now if we need an at-large bid. However, before anyone gets too comfortable, I will give you an example of what can happen if you don't take care of business.

2002 Western Washington. Had an rpi of 24. (UD currently 34) 3 Top 50 wins. (UD currently 1 Top 50 win) Only 2 losses, with the second one being their conference tournament. (That's what UD should have if they lost the conference tournament.) They didn't get in. Now most people think the committee flat out made a mistake. They think the committee had them slotted as the auto bid, and when they lost their tournament, speculation is the committee forgot to add them to the list of at large teams and they therefore were never considered. This is speculation, but the bottom line is they didn't get an at large bid.

Moral of the story is TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS and secure the auto bid.
Above I have a typo. Rpi was 155 a couple weeks ago. 136 this am.

Also forgot to add, even tho that is a great improvement, we are still the highest SOS rank in the top 60-65 teams on any given day. In other words, too weak for comfort if the selection committee has us down to 2-3 final teams. We won't win that one. We have to win record, top 50 wins, rpi and AVCA poll votes. If it comes down to SOS, we will not get an at large bid. We will be considered, but based on today's teams with rpis above 45, we will not get the invite if the committee is one that places a premium on tough scheduling.