Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-16-2022, 11:45 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

CraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond repute
Fire MF

That's right!! Fire Mark Few!! Gonzaga are predicted to be in the Final Four every year. Yet they rarely make it. Tonight they got absolutely destroyed....even though they are ranked number 1. I don't want any excuses!! They are NUMBER 1!!! Losing, even to #11, on the road, is UNACCEPTABLE!!! They NEVER live up to expectation, fall short every stinking year. Mark Few is AWFUL!!!
So says me, GU Scott!!!!!
14 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CraSch For This Totally Excellent Post:
CvilleFlyer (11-17-2022), Flyer 86 (11-17-2022), FLYER5 (11-17-2022), Gazoo (11-17-2022), Jack D (11-17-2022), jack72 (11-17-2022), Jeff (11-17-2022), JimBo (11-17-2022), Lifelong Flyer Fan (11-17-2022), NYCFLYER (11-17-2022), San Diego Flyer (11-17-2022), steverino015 (11-17-2022), The Fly (11-17-2022), The Joint (11-17-2022)
Advertisement
Old 11-17-2022, 06:32 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,045 Times in 2,688 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Well played.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-17-2022, 09:48 AM
General

Thanked 5,466 Times in 2,391 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
The #1 team in the country should never lose. Every time they do the "reasons" are just excuses.

Nobody else in the marketplace is attempting to compete with me, it's only me, and I control all factors. I never make a mistake which is why I'm never fired. I make more money every year and I project that since I will never have a setback I will make a gadjillion dollars within 10 years and my income will be larger than global GDP.

It all makes perfect sense when written out on a spreadsheet. Anything short of this outcome is reason to commit hari kari.
Old 11-17-2022, 10:38 AM
Colonel

The Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant future
I think Zagascott will agree.
Old 11-17-2022, 10:41 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

TX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeTX Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
With this logic we should go hire Donnie Jones since he is overachieving this year
Old 11-17-2022, 12:10 PM
Brigadier General

Jack D is a name known to allJack D is a name known to allJack D is a name known to allJack D is a name known to allJack D is a name known to allJack D is a name known to all
Wow. Winning

Good one
Old 11-17-2022, 12:54 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Class of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
The #1 team in the country should never lose. Every time they do the "reasons" are just excuses.

Nobody else in the marketplace is attempting to compete with me, it's only me, and I control all factors. I never make a mistake which is why I'm never fired. I make more money every year and I project that since I will never have a setback I will make a gadjillion dollars within 10 years and my income will be larger than global GDP.

It all makes perfect sense when written out on a spreadsheet. Anything short of this outcome is reason to commit hari kari.
I made a mistake once. I thought I was wrong about something but I was mistaken.
Mad Props to Class of 73 Alum For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (11-17-2022)
Old 11-17-2022, 12:54 PM
General

Thanked 2,341 Times in 1,412 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
.........as the sound of crickets permeates the air.
Old 11-17-2022, 03:08 PM
Colonel

zmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to behold
The guy who has taken his mid major team to the 2nd weekend 7 years in a row probably should be immune from criticism for losing one game.

The guy who has 1 NCAA tourney appearance in 5 years probably shouldn't be immune from criticism
Mad Props to zmz723 For This Totally Excellent Post:
TX Flyer (11-17-2022)
Old 11-17-2022, 03:51 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,302 Times in 1,764 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Comparing Gonzaga to UD is not a good comparison as Chris has often pointed out.

Gonzaga has consistently had an easier path to the NCAA tournament because they dominate a weaker league. Conversely, the A10 has high quality competition that consistently knocks themselves out of the tournament.

In AG's first year, the league had 3 bids and then 2 bids every year after. Before A10 would send 3-6 teams a year to the tournament which made an easier path. 2014 and 2105 6 teams made it to the NCAA.

In 5 seasons, AG has finished in the A10:
Year 1 9th place.
Year 2 3rd place in A10 (previously that would have been a bid)
Year 3 1st place
Year 4 7th place. Bad finish
Year 5 2nd place. Missed the tournament by a hair.

In 5 years a first second and third place finish.

Archie's team had an easier path and barely made it a couple of times.

You can argue the quality of coaches, but the A10 pretty much requires winning the A10 tournament or regular season to make the NCAA. And you have VCU, Davidson, St. Louis and more to beat out.
Old 11-17-2022, 04:48 PM
1st Lieutenant

foolishpride is a jewel in the roughfoolishpride is a jewel in the roughfoolishpride is a jewel in the rough
Gonzaga to Big 12?

https://www.heartlandcollegesports.c...terest-report/
Old 11-17-2022, 04:59 PM
General

Thanked 3,923 Times in 2,155 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SeasonTicketFan View Post
Comparing Gonzaga to UD is not a good comparison as Chris has often pointed out.

Gonzaga has consistently had an easier path to the NCAA tournament because they dominate a weaker league. Conversely, the A10 has high quality competition that consistently knocks themselves out of the tournament.

In AG's first year, the league had 3 bids and then 2 bids every year after. Before A10 would send 3-6 teams a year to the tournament which made an easier path. 2014 and 2105 6 teams made it to the NCAA.

In 5 seasons, AG has finished in the A10:
Year 1 9th place.
Year 2 3rd place in A10 (previously that would have been a bid)
Year 3 1st place
Year 4 7th place. Bad finish
Year 5 2nd place. Missed the tournament by a hair.

In 5 years a first second and third place finish.

Archie's team had an easier path and barely made it a couple of times.

You can argue the quality of coaches, but the A10 pretty much requires winning the A10 tournament or regular season to make the NCAA. And you have VCU, Davidson, St. Louis and more to beat out.
How did Archie's teams have an easier an path if the league was stronger?
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (11-17-2022), m21eagle45 (11-17-2022)
Old 11-17-2022, 06:01 PM

SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
In Archie's years, the league would get more bids.

In 2014, UD finished 5th in the league and got an NCAA bid. 6 teams from the A10 made the tournament that year. In the last 4 season, only 2 teams made the dance. If the 2013-2014 team finished 5th in the league any time in the last 6 years, they don't dance,
Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDGutter2 (11-18-2022)
Old 11-17-2022, 06:19 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
In Archie's years, the league would get more bids.

In 2014, UD finished 5th in the league and got an NCAA bid. 6 teams from the A10 made the tournament that year. In the last 4 season, only 2 teams made the dance. If the 2013-2014 team finished 5th in the league any time in the last 6 years, they don't dance,
They had 6 teams because the conference was tougher. They've only had 2 teams in the past 4 years because the conference was weaker. If you mean he had it easier because it was easier to fill out a quality team with quality players in a quality conference, then yeah, he had it easier.
Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
TX Flyer (11-17-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 07:59 AM

I disagree. It is harder now because the Big 5 have rigged the system. The weakest Big 5 teams get in because of strength of schedule ahead of A10 teams. A bottom feeder in the Big 10 and ACC will have a losing record in conference and get in.

Yes the A10 was stronger in the past, but the squeeze is much, much worse now.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (11-18-2022), Lifelong Flyer Fan (11-18-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 11:48 AM
Major

podcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant future
I disagree. It is harder now because the Big 5 have rigged the system. The weakest Big 5 teams get in because of strength of schedule ahead of A10 teams. A bottom feeder in the Big 10 and ACC will have a losing record in conference and get in.

A winning record in conference should be the requirement for any at large bids. But sadly you are correct they rigged the system - and no way they put in that rule. It would be great to see that rule - but likely just a pipe dream.
Old 11-18-2022, 12:02 PM
General

Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute

I see where you're coming from and will say that it might be a little tougher to get in now. However, since our last NCAA appearance, there is not one season(besides 2019-2020) that I thought we had a chance to get in based on who we beat and who we lost to and how we fared in the A10 tournament. The only surprise to me and I believe most fans was to find out that we would've made it last season with one more win or Richmond losing to Davidson in the conference finals. And if we believe what the committee said, then the A10 would've had 3 teams had the Flyers won just one more of any of the regular season games they lost(obviously if we had beaten Richmond in the tournament we would've gone but Richmond wouldn't have so that's still just 2).

I was slightly surprised we made it in 2014 and was very surprised we had to go through a play-in game in 2015(rather than being in the field of 64 from the get go).

Last edited by Smitty10; 11-18-2022 at 12:19 PM..
Old 11-18-2022, 12:39 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,753 Times in 795 Posts
Marysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
How did Archie's teams have an easier an path if the league was stronger?
Isn’t that the #1 argument for having to get it to the BE?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-18-2022, 12:55 PM

Thanked 6,183 Times in 4,209 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure that I really buy this argument. Things change, but the bottom line kind of stays the same. The committee takes into account the strength of the A10 when it hands out bids. If the A10 is tougher, UD's path is tougher, but the A10 also gets more bids. If the A10 is weaker, UD's path is easier, but the A10 gets fewer bids. Everything is weighted and adjusted by the committee in the end.
Old 11-18-2022, 01:01 PM
General

Thanked 4,540 Times in 2,057 Posts
Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

This thread went off the rails . . .

FlyingArrow (11-18-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 01:17 PM

Thanked 6,183 Times in 4,209 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Marysville Flyer View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Correct, but it is the same thing as with the A10 in that everything is weighted by the committee, some years the BE is getting 6 or 7 teams into the NCAAT. You can go .500 or maybe even 8-10 in BE conference games and still make the NCAAT. Everything works out in the end.

We gotta dump these A10 bottom feeders somehow. Maybe form a new league with the top 8 or so A10 teams, maybe poach a few good teams from other leagues, and leave the A10 bottom feeders behind. These bottom feeders kill your metrics and are always potential land mines/bad losses on your schedule that blow up your season.

Last edited by ud2; 11-18-2022 at 01:26 PM..
Old 11-18-2022, 01:30 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,513 Times in 827 Posts
FlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Glen Clark View Post

4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FlyingArrow For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (11-18-2022), Gazoo (11-19-2022), Glen Clark (11-18-2022), Lifelong Flyer Fan (11-18-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 01:39 PM
General

Originally Posted by Marysville Flyer View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
I guess I'm switching directions here by saying that it's a great argument.

You have a better chance to recruit better players in a more respected, tougher conference. This in turn means all things being equal on your team, you will have a worse record in the tougher conference but be allowed to qualify for the NCAA tournament with a worse record. And for the most part, the NCAA weighs it pretty well.

In 2013-2014, the Atlantic 10 lost Xavier, Butler, Temple and Charlotte and added George Mason followed by Davidson the following season.

There was still a residual effect because many of the players that signed with teams left in the A10 did so while X and Temple were there and one class while Butler was there and were now hitting their prime as far as CBB was concerned. Transferring out wasn't the option it is today as sitting for a season changes everything.

Back then, teams like UMass, St. B, St. Joes, LaSalle, RI, Richmond and GW would rise up every 3 or 4 years and be NCAA worthy. Teams like Dayton and SLU would stay close to the bubble at least. VCU added a year or two before the big departures also fit that close to bubble category.

But once those classes that were acquired prior to the departures started graduating or leaving for other reasons, the quality of the A10 diminished also.

So yes, it certainly makes sense that being in a better conference makes it easier to get to the NCAA tournament, but only because it makes it easier to put together a better team not because you have the same quality of team losing more games but to better teams.

When we see 6th and 7th place teams from the big conferences make it over a 3rd place team from the A10, I believe 90 percent of the time those 6th, 7th or whatever teams are better than the 3rd place A10 team.

Yes, the NCAA committees make some headscratching decisions, but when it comes to rating the 36 best at-large teams for the tournament, they're not too far off.
Old 11-18-2022, 01:57 PM

Thanked 2,211 Times in 976 Posts
MrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
Fire Juwan Howard as well!
The #20 team in the nation should not be taking a 25pt beat down by a team that lost to Texas Southern just 4 days prior.
Chris R (11-18-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 02:18 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,089 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
Correct, but it is the same thing as with the A10 in that everything is weighted by the committee, some years the BE is getting 6 or 7 teams into the NCAAT. You can go .500 or maybe even 8-10 in BE conference games and still make the NCAAT. Everything works out in the end.

We gotta dump these A10 bottom feeders somehow. Maybe form a new league with the top 8 or so A10 teams, maybe poach a few good teams from other leagues, and leave the A10 bottom feeders behind. These bottom feeders kill your metrics and are always potential land mines/bad losses on your schedule that blow up your season.
Don't kill the bottom feeders just require they schedule at least one more away game and have them kill one of their miserable 'buy games'.

Mad Props to NJFlyr71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud2 (11-18-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 07:07 PM
General

Thanked 2,341 Times in 1,412 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Glen Clark View Post

Cant we just get back to giving Mark Few a pink slip?
Mad Props to Jeff For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (11-18-2022)
Old 11-19-2022, 01:31 AM
Colonel

zmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by MrFlyerFanatic View Post
Fire Juwan Howard as well!
The #20 team in the nation should not be taking a 25pt beat down by a team that lost to Texas Southern just 4 days prior.
Juwan Howard’s Michigan team made the sweet 16 last year and the elite 8 the year prior. Starting to think the people who post here truly don’t care about the NCAA tournament…
Posted via Mobile Device