User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-26-2022, 09:19 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,350 Times in 1,343 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
10 Second Rule

Can somebody find or tell me definitively what the 10 second backcourt rule is in college basketball? I always thought that a timeout or the ball going out of bounds restarted the 10 second count (I believe in the NBA the count never resets).

However over the last several years I have heard numerous announcers say that a team only has the remainder of the original count left to get it over halfcourt after the deadball, although I have never actually seen it called that way. Then yesterday the refs called it that way but seemed to reverse their call. BYU then was allowed to inbound with a full count to get it over.

Hopefully someone can put this to rest for me and all of the confused announcers in this world.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-26-2022), Smitty10 (11-26-2022)
Advertisement
Old 11-26-2022, 02:17 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,181 Times in 5,906 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
Can somebody find or tell me definitively what the 10 second backcourt rule is in college basketball? I always thought that a timeout or the ball going out of bounds restarted the 10 second count (I believe in the NBA the count never resets).

However over the last several years I have heard numerous announcers say that a team only has the remainder of the original count left to get it over halfcourt after the deadball, although I have never actually seen it called that way. Then yesterday the refs called it that way but seemed to reverse their call. BYU then was allowed to inbound with a full count to get it over.

Hopefully someone can put this to rest for me and all of the confused announcers in this world.
Since Rollo moved his kingdom to Saudi Arabia, as an ex-ref, I will answer.

The count continues where it was at the timeout, once the ball is touched inbounds by either team. It does not restart.

Likewise a deflection by the defense does not restart the count.
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-26-2022)
Old 11-26-2022, 02:24 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
Since Rollo moved his kingdom to Saudi Arabia, as an ex-ref, I will answer.

The count continues where it was at the timeout, once the ball is touched inbounds by either team. It does not restart.

Likewise a deflection by the defense does not restart the count.
This is the point where we would ask Rollo why then, did BYU have extra time to get the ball over the line yesterday? And Rollo would pull some BS out of thin air as to why the refs were right and we should accept the King's explanation without any follow up questions.
Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-26-2022)
Old 11-26-2022, 02:27 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,181 Times in 5,906 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
This is the point where we would ask Rollo why then, did BYU have extra time to get the ball over the line yesterday? And Rollo would pull some BS out of thin air as to why the refs were right and we should accept the King's explanation without any follow up questions.
I will answer for Rollo, "Because the refs are never wrong."

Honestly, I did not see the play, so I don't know.
Old 11-26-2022, 02:38 PM
General

Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
I will answer for Rollo, "Because the refs are never wrong."

Honestly, I did not see the play, so I don't know.
Let me see if I can recall it properly.

BYU has ball with 10 seconds to get it across half court line. For some reason (a deflection out of bounds by the Flyers or some thing like that. They have to inbound the ball about 15 feet from half court line. RJ blocks the inbound and it rolls out of bounds again. While 8 seconds have rolled off the game clock, the shot clock still sits at 30. BYU inbounds the ball backwards and the guy takes his time and 2 seconds roll off the clock and the guy hasn't even started up court yet. Refs call 10 seconds. But then a conference and the Refs give them another chance with 21 seconds on the shot clock. A timeout might have been taken by BYU at this point, not sure or if it was just the discussion that took so long. They as they leave for commercials, TV guy says it will be BYUs ball with one second left to get it over the half court line. When they come back, they inbound backward again, take their time and get the ball over the line with 17 seconds on the shotclock. No whistle.
Flyer 86 (11-26-2022)
Old 11-26-2022, 02:57 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

IndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
I am a retired long time high school varsity official, and my son is an active NCAA official. The rule is under Rule 9, Section 10 of the NCAA Division 1 Men’s Basketball Rules. Rule 9 Section 10 requires a reset of the 10 second clock upon a timeout by the offensive team. The officials correctly reset the count to 10 seconds.
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to IndianaFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (11-27-2022), San Diego Flyer (11-27-2022)
Old 11-26-2022, 03:12 PM
General

Originally Posted by IndianaFlyer View Post
I am a retired long time high school varsity official, and my son is an active NCAA official. The rule is under Rule 9, Section 10 of the NCAA Division 1 Men’s Basketball Rules. Rule 9 Section 10 requires a reset of the 10 second clock upon a timeout by the offensive team. The officials correctly reset the count to 10 seconds.
Posted via Mobile Device
Okay. But here's the thing, there were two events. The timeout occurred before the 2nd event but not the first. When RJ disrupted the inbounds and they only had 2 seconds to get it over the line, there was no timeout. They argued that they were confused by the 30 seconds clock and the Refs let them do it again with one seconds on the clock(even though before the argument of the 30 second clock, they had already failed to get it across and should've been UD's ball. BYU coach was smart to call timeout and get it reset after they were gifted a 2nd chance by the officials.

Thanks for clarification of the timeout rule though. I personally don't understand why a timeout can cancel out 8 or 9 seconds of what a defense already accomplished, if they do that, why not do the same for shot clocks? 2 seconds left on shot clock, call timeout and get a new one.

Last edited by Smitty10; 11-26-2022 at 03:15 PM..
Old 11-26-2022, 03:43 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

IndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
No idea as to the thought process by the rules committee, just answering someone’s request for the actual rule to allow them to look it up. You certainly make a valid point of comparison.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-26-2022, 05:34 PM
General

Originally Posted by IndianaFlyer View Post
No idea as to the thought process by the rules committee, just answering someone’s request for the actual rule to allow them to look it up. You certainly make a valid point of comparison.
Posted via Mobile Device
btw, just jumping off topic a little to throw this out there. But I cannot stand the rule that says that during a held ball, if the team that was on offense has the possession arrow, they play from where the shot clock is, even if it's one second. Seems to me the held ball rule is supposed to make things kind of equal for both teams by rotating who's turn it is to gain possession. At least give the team on offense a chance to wave off their use of the possession arrow rather than have them have one second to inbound and shoot and also lose the possession arrow at the same time.
Lifelong Flyer Fan (11-27-2022)