UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > STEVEN E. YUHAS MEMORIAL LOUNGE > Off-Topic Gibberish

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 01-19-2020, 09:04 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,399 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Anyone ever own a 4x4?

Never owned or driven one, looking at getting a truck with it

How much extra maintenance or trouble is this gonna give me down the line?

Anything to know? I have little to no knowledge here
Advertisement
Old 01-19-2020, 09:34 PM
General

Thanked 5,977 Times in 2,490 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
2008 Dodge Ram, bought it new. I pulled boats, trailers, loads of mulch, tile, gravel, landscape stones,etc. Plus been known to cruise 90 MPH or so on the Kentucky Autobahn. 4 wheel drive used a lot the first few years, back when we used to have snow and I was doing more rural driving north of Dayton.

241K miles on it now, never a major issue, but in the last year a lot of minor ones but fortunately most covered under the Lifetime warranty we bought from Dodge for $1950 extra when we bought the truck new. They quit offering that option for a year or two, then bring it back. Getting ready to start looking for a new one and Dodge at top of the list, but going to also take a quick look at Ford as numerous friends think they got more bang for the buck with Ford.
Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
OSU Flyer (01-20-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 09:48 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,200 Times in 2,204 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
You need to ask yourself why do you want a 4x4. Is it because you need one for work or to get around town in the snow to tow a boat or is it to look cool and manly. There are plenty of AWD vehicles out there that can do the job if you donít need the towing capacity or truck bed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to cj For This Totally Excellent Post:
OSU Flyer (01-20-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 12:19 AM
Lieutenant General

OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cj View Post
You need to ask yourself why do you want a 4x4. Is it because you need one for work or to get around town in the snow to tow a boat or is it to look cool and manly. There are plenty of AWD vehicles out there that can do the job if you donít need the towing capacity or truck bed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Relative is unloading a Tacoma to retire down to Florida. His second car is a 1992 Toyota truck that's still running with nearly 300K miles with no major work

Good price and Toyota's seem to be tanks
Old 01-20-2020, 12:24 AM

Thanked 7,961 Times in 3,344 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Own two. Ford F150 Ecoboost 4x4 Lariat with a tuner, 2 inch level, 34 inch tires. Electronic locking diff.

Ford Expedition 4x4 5.4.

Limited trouble. Limited additional maintenance. Still has more moving parts so the risk is there.

My F150 looks stock but a little different with the level and a little bigger than stock tire. I don't get snow days in my line of work, so the 4x4 is a must. I also tow a boat that when loaded and full of fuel weighs in at over 7,000lbs. In Kentucky, on steep ramps, it can come in handy. In that clay soil down there after a hard rain, it can come in handy.

I had the Expy prior to the F150 and towed with it. 4x4 for the same reasons as well as family safety in a full size SUV with 4x4.

I have also owned a AWD Ford Fusion SEL and the wife had an AWD Escape. Both were outstanding in weather and fit the bill for safety, just not towing and hauling people.

Fords 4x4 system offers 4A where it is rear wheel drive and the sensors will engage AWD when necessary. This is what most AWD vehicles have. They only engage AWD when need be. You then have your traditional 4x4 settings and on the trucks with a certain package, the electronic locking diff.

Yes, I am a Ford guy and have always been. They have been the best selling truck for 36 years. I have driven all the other manufacturers and the Ford Trucks are the best thing on the market. From the mechanical aspects, fit and finish, body, transmission, engines. I like the GMC Denali diesel trucks, but it's still a GM interior. The new Fords also offer the new 10 speed automatic. In the 1 ton diesels, customers are getting 4.5 mpg more just due to the new transmission. I imagine it is got to be much better as well in the 1/5 tons. The new Dodges look nice on the outside. Quite frankly, they sell because their prices are less. But I do agree...they look like a solid truck. Chevy trucks are ugly as sin. GMC's are solid. I image you won't be getting an HD truck, but Cummins in the Dodge are good as well as the Duramax and Allison trans in the GMC's. It's personal preference at that point on what you like in the trucks. Ford now makes all of their diesel and transmissions which I like. They control the product...and they didn't take government bailouts. (just a pet peeve)

My next truck will be a 2020 or newer F350 diesel. The thing has 475hp and 1050 lb/ft of torque. Plenty for my lake toys and an eventual 5th wheel. The diesels cost more up front and need about 150k on the clock until they break even on cost when bought new. I drive my vehicles and rack up miles to and from the lake and everywhere in between. So that helps make that decision.

You need to figure out your needs. Weather? Do you travel where you may need 4x4? Safety in the winter? Towing on steep ramps? Peace of mind?

I personally will never own anything that isn't AWD for a sedan or 4x4 for a truck or full size SUV.
Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
OSU Flyer (01-20-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 12:32 AM

shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
Relative is unloading a Tacoma to retire down to Florida. His second car is a 1992 Toyota truck that's still running with nearly 300K miles with no major work

Good price and Toyota's seem to be tanks
I would look an independent ratings and reviews. Also youtube videos of comparisons.

There is a video of the Tundra, F150, Dodge, and Chevy and they took them through the paces on a course meant to test out the performance and capabilities of them. The Toyota was by far the worst truck chassis out of the bunch. They did a slow motion over a speed bump course and the think looked like it was about to fall apart.

Not saying they aren't runners. Toyota's will run for a VERY long time. But in terms of trucks doing truck stuff...I think they are better suited for the pavement and not doing work. You simply don't see many trucks outside of the big three being owned by people who tow or use them for fleet use. There is a reason.
OSU Flyer (01-20-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 02:17 PM

Thanked 1,805 Times in 773 Posts
MrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
In some parts of the world they are tanks

Toyota's seem to be tanks
Toyota trucks are the official vehicles of terrorists and 3rd world militias, so they kind of are tanks for some people.

I drove a '97 Jeep Cherokee for 16 years with no 4WD issues. I've driven my current Wrangler since 2014 with no issues. I've never done any towing. Just snow and a bit of off road. Both of those vehicles had a manual 4WD actuator, meaning a manual lever in the center console. Most trucks now have electronic push button 4WD. With the manual actuator, I was able to shift between 2H and 4H on the fly at up to 55MPH. Never had a reason to go into 4H at that speed, but did shift back to 2H at near that after getting out of snow.
Fuel consumption increases in 4H compared to 2H.
OSU Flyer (01-20-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 03:01 PM
Lieutenant General

4 low is for going over/through things in low speed?
Old 01-20-2020, 03:32 PM

Thanked 13,360 Times in 3,884 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MrFlyerFanatic View Post
Toyota trucks are the official vehicles of terrorists and 3rd world militias, so they kind of are tanks for some people.
A lot of truth to that. When the nuclear apocalypse hits, it appears you want to be driving one of three vehicles:

1. 1982 Toyota light bed pickup
2. 1965 Land Rover
3. 1983 Mercedes Turbo Diesel Sedan

C. M. Rieman | Publisher | 937.361.4630 | Get the latest here:

Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
OSU Flyer (01-20-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 04:10 PM

4 low is for going over/through things in low speed?
Deep sand, snow, or mud. Basically if you're stuck or need to "unstuck" someone else. Bur yes... Low speed where you need torque multiplication.

In all actuality... You'll virtually never use it for someone who needs 4x4 for weather or towing up a steep ramp. I've never had to use 4L.
OSU Flyer (01-20-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 04:13 PM
General

Thanked 5,977 Times in 2,490 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post
I also tow a boat that when loaded and full of fuel weighs in at over 7,000lbs. .
1500 pounds of which is in 12 ounce cans
Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
OSU Flyer (01-20-2020)
Old 01-20-2020, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post
1500 pounds of which is in 12 ounce cans
Empties!
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
cj (01-21-2020), ClaytonFlyerFan (01-20-2020), OSU Flyer (01-24-2020)