UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > STEVEN E. YUHAS MEMORIAL LOUNGE > Off-Topic Gibberish

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 01-24-2020, 09:07 PM
General

Thanked 5,977 Times in 2,490 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Safety systems on mid size SUV's

Time to start updating the family fleet of old clunkers. Our driveway has three 2007-2008 model Chryslers / Dodge that have been awesome vehicles with minimal problems, but all high mileage and time to splurge a little and upgrade.

The Mrs vehicle is first, and she wants and needs as many of the new built in safety features on the market as possible. All this is new to me as most did not exist last time we were shopping. After hitting three dealerships today (which were all very busy despite the gloomy rainy day) I am more confused than ever. Any good advice or things or particular brands to avoid with all the safely options on the market. She wants LDW, LKA, BSW, RCTW, LCA, and ACC at minimum. Doing homework tonight for round #2 of shopping tomorrow.
Advertisement
Old 01-24-2020, 09:18 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,042 Times in 2,462 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Info

Clay it would be helpful to know a few othrr things, e.g., sedan or SUV; price range, foreign or domestic preference?, etc. There are great vehicles out there and every feature you can think of is available on just about all of them.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:24 PM
General

ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UACFlyer View Post
Clay it would be helpful to know a few othrr things, e.g., sedan or SUV; price range, foreign or domestic preference?, etc. There are great vehicles out there and every feature you can think of is available on just about all of them.
Mid size SUV (in my title), prefer domestic but not a must, and as for price I was hoping for around 40K, but we have never once stayed on budget with any major purchase we have made, so why start now? Oh, and she thinks she needs AWD. thanks
Old 01-24-2020, 10:24 PM

UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Great selection....

Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post
Mid size SUV (in my title), prefer domestic but not a must, and as for price I was hoping for around 40K, but we have never once stayed on budget with any major purchase we have made, so why start now? Oh, and she thinks she needs AWD. thanks
Clay for $35K (MSRP) you can get a fully equipped....and I mean fully...mid-size AWD SUV. Every advanced feature you can think of.

Models like the Honda CRV, Toyota RAV4 and Nisson Rogue are good SUVs and Ford and Chevy offer comparable models. All very nice looking.

Proximity to a good dealer is important to me.

Luxury brands having the same features like the Acura RDX and MDX, Audi Q5 start at about $45k and can run well above that.

The Edmunds.com website contains much useful information, including reviews and recommendations. As I recall Edmunds says that considering everything, you can't beat the Honda CRV. The very top of the line CRV runs $35K.

The choices are great. Have fun.
Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (01-25-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 10:37 PM

Thanked 4,200 Times in 2,204 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
I would watch out for the ones with CVT’s. The transmissions are belt driven and typically don’t last as long as a good mechanical transmission. Unfortunately CVT are very common.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to cj For This Totally Excellent Post:
Old 01-25-2020, 12:37 AM

Thanked 1,857 Times in 760 Posts
UDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I would watch out for the ones with CVT’s. The transmissions are belt driven and typically don’t last as long as a good mechanical transmission. Unfortunately CVT are very common.
Posted via Mobile Device
If its a belt replacement is it that expensive?
Mad Props to UDEE79 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Old 01-25-2020, 03:09 AM

Thanked 7,961 Times in 3,344 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Obviously I've got a hookup at our local Ford dealer which I'd be more than happy to introduce you to...

With that said. The new Explorers are NICE. The exterior and interior are larger, by a couple inches, than last year. If you want performance, the sky is the limit with the Ecoboost twin turbo.

I will put the Ford AWD system against anyone else. Take an Explorer around a 2 mile track at 100mph... You'll agree. The stability control is second to none in my opinion as a driver. Also keep in mind the Explorer has a functional 3rd row of seating. That's what you'll get in the"just smaller than full size" SUVs that you won't get with the Terrains, Escapes, etc.

I have experience with the edge and escape. Both nice vehicles with the same systems.

I'm not a Chrysler fan but the Cherokee sports are pretty bad ass. Not sure on operation as I haven't driven one. But have been in one at the Detroit auto show.

Stay away from GM. Nissan ratings haven't been the best. Toyota and Hondas... Well I've seen my friends who are independent mechanics drive them no questions asked. That includes the Sequoia and mid size Honda.

What do you consider midsize? Explorer or Edge/Escape.

I consider anything midsize that isn't on a truck chassis. Expedition, Yukon, Tahoe full.. anything else mid.
Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Old 01-25-2020, 03:17 AM
General

Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post
Obviously I've got a hookup at our local Ford dealer which I'd be more than happy to introduce you to...

What do you consider midsize? Explorer or Edge/Escape.

Good question on what we consider the midsize, I think Edge is adequate as I will only be driving on road trips, she will drive locally. For some reason I am actually concerned about and wanting better mileage over HP. Interested in your hookup. A few claim Ford is best, at least domestically, with all the safety features she needs and wants. Wish Ford would let me use either the GM family discount or wife Chrysler family discount
Old 01-25-2020, 03:28 AM
General

Originally Posted by cj View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Wow, good info. Doing some quick reading up on CVT's and $4K to $7K to replace after 100K life expectancy per a few articles scares me. Thanks for info. We would love to get 200K miles and 8 years or so out of this vehicle if all goes according to plan.
Old 01-25-2020, 04:03 AM

Thanked 7,961 Times in 3,344 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Good question on what we consider the midsize, I think Edge is adequate as I will only be driving on road trips, she will drive locally. For some reason I am actually concerned about and wanting better mileage over HP. Interested in your hookup. A few claim Ford is best, at least domestically, with all the safety features she needs and wants. Wish Ford would let me use either the GM family discount or wife Chrysler family discount
You may not need the family discount.... Shoot me a PM on Facebook or a text and I'll get ahold of my guy to see when he's around this week.
Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Old 01-25-2020, 12:11 PM

Thanked 6,980 Times in 3,982 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
We just traded in our 15 year old Lexus SUV (220,000 miles with no major problems), because it was time. We were convinced not to spend the extra 10-15% on another Lexus, so we test drove a Honda, Kia, Hyundai, Toyota and Subaru. Finally we drove the Lexus. No comparison. Some of those others, like the Hyundai, had some additional nice technology, but Lexus has enough. The solid feel of the Lexus, just close your eyes and shut the door on it and others. Of course the 295 Hp and 267 torque and solid road feel is well above most others. So we spent the extra 10%, and are not regretting it. We expect to get 15 years out of this one.
Old 01-25-2020, 12:37 PM

cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
My Nissan Altima had a CVT and it crapped out at 172,000. As I was looking at getting an SUV my mom and her hubby got a new car and I inherited their Lexus RX300 SUV. It is a 2003 with 120,000 miles on it and it looks brand new. All maintenance was kept up with at Lexus and I am hoping to get another 120,000 out of it. It is still very solid. I added an Echo Auto and a cassette adapter and it is just like having Bluetooth.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2020, 03:39 PM

Wow!

Wow! Apparently Some of you guys have driving and ownership habits that are anything but average or typical. Ten years...fifteen years....150,000 miles....200,000 miles?

Lexus makes great automobiles; I've owned more than one. The problem with driving a high-mileage car for ten or more years (I've done it) is that even the very best of cars occasionally have failures that simply reflect age and mileage.

Every important component or system on a car is not designed to last for 10+ years or 100,000+ miles. When you're away from home and the starter motor fails or something similar happens you don't think, "****, what a lousy car". The failed item may be relatively inexpensive to replace...but, the car won't run without it and the "away from home" aspect of the situation reminds you that your great car is an old, high mileage car, meaning it's reliability has become a serious issue.

Additionally, automotive technology changes dramatically over a ten year time frame. That ten-to-fifteen year old car, no matter how good, is lacking in important features....safety features.

Here's a flip side re technology. Just because it's possible to do something doesn't mean it's a good idea and should be done. Car makers ignore that. Clay, if all your cars are "old" you and your wife may be in for a shock when you encounter the complexity of using the new "infotainment" systems, some of which have very steep learning curves. Indeed, consumer complaints about infotainment systems exceed those of all other automotive features, regardless of the brand or model. Some are hard to use even when the car is parked! Some dealers offer lessons on use. I'm not pleased to be informed that I'll need lessons re how to use the radio, temp controls, etc. Ugh.
Old 01-25-2020, 04:12 PM

100,000 may have been the limit 30 years ago but manufacturing technologies and good routine maintenance makes most cars last 200,000 miles or more. I love the fact that I have no car payment and pay less for insurance. I have a good friend that has his own mechanic shop and he said the Lexus that I got will last a long time from a mechanical standpoint if regular maintenance is performed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2020, 04:26 PM

Thanked 13,240 Times in 5,867 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Part of the royal fleet is a V8 4Runner that could tow the Space Shuttle. I highly recommend 4Runners to everyone for every need.
Old 01-25-2020, 06:18 PM

Thanked 1,805 Times in 773 Posts
MrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
Ask who makes the airbags.
Takata supplies a lot of automakers.
ClaytonFlyerFan (01-25-2020), UACFlyer (01-25-2020)
Old 01-25-2020, 06:54 PM
General

Originally Posted by UACFlyer View Post
Wow! Apparently Some of you guys have driving and ownership habits that are anything but average or typical. Ten years...fifteen years....150,000 miles....200,000 miles?

If I count the 2003 Chrysler 300 that has been in the family for years that I gave to my son to drive back and forth to work every day, we have 4 ranging in age from 2003 to 2008 model years, with a low of 154K miles and a high of 241K miles. I know many that think Chrysler is junk, but we have had nothing but good luck with them. We never miss a scheduled oil change or maintenance.

Which makes it harder for us to change brands, but we are looking. Very happy with the dealer we use as well which is probably the highest priority. Thanks all for the advice

Last edited by ClaytonFlyerFan; 01-25-2020 at 06:58 PM..
Old 01-25-2020, 09:24 PM

OK Clay....

If I count the 2003 Chrysler 300 that has been in the family for years that I gave to my son to drive back and forth to work every day, we have 4 ranging in age from 2003 to 2008 model years, with a low of 154K miles and a high of 241K miles. I know many that think Chrysler is junk, but we have had nothing but good luck with them. We never miss a scheduled oil change or maintenance.

Which makes it harder for us to change brands, but we are looking. Very happy with the dealer we use as well which is probably the highest priority. Thanks all for the advice
Once you've made your decision....that is, the new car is home in your driveway....let us know "what and why". Good luck!
Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Old 01-26-2020, 12:33 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
UACFlyer is correct. You will be in for a shock with all of the new technology - most of it is pretty useless or lulls you away from paying attention to the road - such as “lane keeping assist” type features. These new cars are close to driving themselves which allow people to text, etc. You need to pay more attention than ever, because no one else on the road is. Also, why do you think you “need” AWD? Does your wife go off-road? You are probably lucky if have 5 snowy enough days in Dayton that you would come close to needing AWD. The other 360 days it’s hurting your mpg. Just sayin’
Old 01-26-2020, 07:28 AM
General

Originally Posted by N2663R View Post
Also, why do you think you “need” AWD? Does your wife go off-road? You are probably lucky if have 5 snowy enough days in Dayton that you would come close to needing AWD. The other 360 days it’s hurting your mpg. Just sayin’
Agree 100%. After a week of trying to convince her of the same thing, I may have actually won this battle. I hope!
Old 01-26-2020, 03:49 PM

A bit more on AWD

Originally Posted by N2663R View Post
UACFlyer is correct. You will be in for a shock with all of the new technology - most of it is pretty useless or lulls you away from paying attention to the road - such as “lane keeping assist” type features. These new cars are close to driving themselves which allow people to text, etc. You need to pay more attention than ever, because no one else on the road is. Also, why do you think you “need” AWD? Does your wife go off-road? You are probably lucky if have 5 snowy enough days in Dayton that you would come close to needing AWD. The other 360 days it’s hurting your mpg. Just sayin’
Agree 100%. After a week of trying to convince her of the same thing, I may have actually won this battle. I hope!
We have been talking as if the choices are FWD or full time AWD. But many if not most cross-over SUVs having AWD really have part time AWD or "as needed" AWD. That is, power is supplied to the front wheels only unless/until sensors detect loss of traction on one or more front wheels...at that point power is also delivered to te rear wheels.

One of our cars is an Acura RDX "AWD"....but it's only AWD or four-wheel drive when the sensors detect loss of traction on the front wheels...which doesn't happen often. So our AWD Acura is really a FWD car almost all the time. I'll bet >95% of the time.

The car has a six cylinder engine and gets 30+ mpg on the highway and has averaged 22.5 mpg over the 55,000 miles of our use.

So Clay, the issue is not FWD or AWD all the time. Most SUVs advertised as AWD really use all-wheel-drive only when it's needed...which is not very often. They are FWD drive vehicles almost all the time.

Something to think about. Your wife can have the comfort of knowing she has AWD when she needs it, while for the vast majority of her driving it's an FWD car as you prefer. No conflict after all. But when shopping you have to press the salesman to provide accurate information re the type of "AWD" drive system.
Old 01-31-2020, 09:53 AM

rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
So what did the Vice-King buy for the Vice-Queen? And I don't mean Victoria's Secret...
Old 01-31-2020, 10:05 AM
General

The queen who never gets sick ended up going to bed early last Saturday night and is just now vertical and fever free on friday morning and going to her office today. The flu bug going around is quite nasty. Needless to say I avoided her as much as possible and the new chariot talk went on the back burner for a week or two.

We looked at too many options, when in the past we drove onto our favorite brands lot and whipped out the cash. I have my list of two, maybe three brands I like, and a couple I do not fit in as they are not made for 6'3" of awesomeness. The lack of product knowledge about what they are selling amazed me at a couple of our stops. The pushy sales tactics used by some light my fuse and chase me away quicker than Obi gets down the court. Stay tuned, and more importantly everyone stay germ free.
Old 01-31-2020, 10:42 AM

In the past 4 months the King has sold 4 of his chariots and replaced them with 3 others. I just got sick of going to Grismer every month for something major. Now that the million-heirs and Queen are safe and set, I hope to not buy another armored vehicle for at least 10 years. I wish you well, Sir Vice King!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-31-2020, 10:44 AM
General

Thanks

This is the first of 2 to replace in the next couple months, hoping to not replace the third one or I might have to start working a bit harder.