Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 12-25-2008, 05:50 PM
1st Lieutenant

ParkerUD09 is infamous around these partsParkerUD09 is infamous around these partsParkerUD09 is infamous around these parts
Kurt will have a breakout game @ Toledo

Toledo's defense is pathetic, and only has no real post player inside right now. I saw them play against Houston last week and felt bad for the team. With a new coach in Toledo, a bunch of players were kicked off or left the team. I think it can be a big game for Huelsman to man up and gain some confidence before league play.

Hopefully some flyer faithful will make the trip up I-75, Toledo is the weakest team on the schedule, although they did beat UMass.
Advertisement
Old 12-25-2008, 08:17 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Dirty Sanchez can only hope to improve
Interesting. A Junior breakout game. We'll see, hope you're right.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:49 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,145 Times in 598 Posts
bcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond repute
He will have a double-double verse George Mason. Book it.

If I am wrong, just file it under the countless number of wrong predictions made on this board.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:27 PM
Major

UDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these partsUDF4N4LIF3 is infamous around these parts
I'll tell you who will have a big break out game against George Mason.

London Warren (Book It 13 Points, 6 Assists, 4 Rebounds) His speed will be to much for the Patriots.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:44 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Whats a breakout game 8 points 4 rebounds? Just kidding. I would love to see him have a breakout game if anyone on the team deserves one to shut up his critics (Including myself) it is him. But I would really like to see him to build on a breakout game and be a guy who can rebound and pound out some needed inside baskets.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:57 PM
Major

flyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by bcross View Post
He will have a double-double verse George Mason. Book it.

If I am wrong, just file it under the countless number of wrong predictions made on this board.
I would be very confident in saying that Kurt won't have a double double the rest of his tenure here at UD.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:59 PM
Just off the Jet

Super Fan Section 101 is on a distinguished road
Thats hilarious. Good call... breakout game as a junior!! I think KH is getting way too much attention... and apparently the source of a big argument .

Let hope Wright has a big breakout! i would love to see him throw up 30+ and to start generating some more hype around him. Wright could and should be in the NBA and I want to see some sick Sports Center highlights of him tearing up Toledo.

KH needs 18pts and 12 rebs for me to think he is legit if Toledo really is that Bad.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:01 AM
1st Lieutenant

FlyerE is on a distinguished road
I agree, there are plenty of other players I'd rather see get a double-double than KH. One from CW or MJ would be nice. I think DS has a better chance of getting a double-double if he gets the same minutes.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:19 AM

ClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these partsClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these partsClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these parts
I believe he "broke out" when he shut down Blair and notched a near double-double on national tv.

I believe he "broke out" when he single-handedly led us back at the beginning of second half during the Miami OH game last year.

KH is KH he will have a couple games where he goes for 8-12 points. Other than that he will beat the **** out of the other team's bigs, rebound and anchor the defense.

I still believe the turning point of the season was the Auburn game. And he had the biggest two rebounds and three free throws of the season by faaaaaaar.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ClearTheRunwayForWLJ For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (12-26-2008), Tony T 71 (12-26-2008)
Old 12-26-2008, 12:19 AM
1st Lieutenant

uddave has a spectacular aura aboutuddave has a spectacular aura about
Really not trying to jump on the KH dogpile, but he simply isn't an offensive player. He gets the ball at low post, and has no idea what to do with it. The only thing he'll do it kick it back out. The shots he does take miss, so I guess its a good thing that he kicks it back out.

Having a big guy in the middle does nothing if he can't do anything. It's not really worth having him start all season just so he can throw down a double double against a very weak opponent. Rob Lowery threw down 20+? and got less attention, and now we're hoping KH will turn around with barely a double double against a weak opponent?

I'd opt for playing 3 guards over 2 + KH any day.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:30 AM

ClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these partsClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these partsClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these parts
That is why you are not the coach.

KH has started every game of his career and the Flyers are 53-24.

When will fans get it through their thick heads that BG and UD value DEFENSE over offense and DAMMIT, KH is the best freaking defender on the team!!

He will start until he is gone and we will be fine doing that. Watch him anchor the zone, watch him block shots, box out, wear down his opponent. Watch him move the ball on offense and watch him set picks. We all know he isn't a scorer, but on this team a scorer is not needed right now! No one scores huge points every night, everyone shares.

Get off his **** back, he is doing exactly what the coaches tell him to do and is the starting center for an 11-1 team.

His two rebounds and three free throws against Auburn were the biggest plays of the season! Who knows what we see against Marquette if we lose that game.

Every year this board finds a new person to run into the ground (Binnie last year, Warren Williams the year before). And every year it is the ultimate team player who maximizes his talent that he has and does exactly what the coaches tell them to do.

Knock it the hell off guys. This is a college athlete doing his best and following a system, not everyone is Shaq.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ClearTheRunwayForWLJ For This Totally Excellent Post:
camo6 (12-27-2008), flyerfanatic86 (12-26-2008), jpk4ud (12-27-2008), RipFlyer'07 (12-26-2008), UD1969 (12-26-2008)
Old 12-26-2008, 12:37 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,145 Times in 598 Posts
bcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by uddave View Post

Having a big guy in the middle does nothing if he can't do anything. It's not really worth having him start all season just so he can throw down a double double against a very weak opponent. Rob Lowery threw down 20+? and got less attention, and now we're hoping KH will turn around with barely a double double against a weak opponent?
Do you even know what a double double is? Because this really doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Last edited by bcross; 12-26-2008 at 12:39 AM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to bcross For This Totally Excellent Post:
m21eagle45 (12-26-2008)
Old 12-26-2008, 08:59 AM
1st Lieutenant

flyerdube is a jewel in the roughflyerdube is a jewel in the roughflyerdube is a jewel in the roughflyerdube is a jewel in the rough
Breakout?

Can someone please define "breakout" game? How does this differ from a good or great game? Does anyone really believe that if a player "breaks" into the double figure stat, he will then consistently remain in that statistical category for remaining games? Sorry, I just do not like the "breakout" term. I would prefer just saying ...."I can see soandso having a super game because....."
Old 12-26-2008, 10:09 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 1,645 Times in 683 Posts
Tony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ClearTheRunwayForWLJ View Post
I believe he "broke out" when he shut down Blair and notched a near double-double on national tv.

I believe he "broke out" when he single-handedly led us back at the beginning of second half during the Miami OH game last year.

KH is KH he will have a couple games where he goes for 8-12 points. Other than that he will beat the **** out of the other team's bigs, rebound and anchor the defense.

I still believe the turning point of the season was the Auburn game. And he had the biggest two rebounds and three free throws of the season by faaaaaaar.

Excellent points...when sitting in the lower arena you can really see the defense and position on the boards, which when he doesnt get the rebound it allows others to do so, AND leadership KH provides. His minimal offense comes with the territory. His free throw shooting has improved this year.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:32 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

oldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond reputeoldfan has a reputation beyond repute
K H seems to always have a big game when up against a strong center ie Blair. But this could be that we are more observant of what he brings to the team the more the threat in the middle becomes real. The better the talent the more doing the little things right spells the difference between sucess and disaster.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:03 AM
Major

number21 has a brilliant futurenumber21 has a brilliant futurenumber21 has a brilliant futurenumber21 has a brilliant futurenumber21 has a brilliant futurenumber21 has a brilliant futurenumber21 has a brilliant futurenumber21 has a brilliant futurenumber21 has a brilliant futurenumber21 has a brilliant futurenumber21 has a brilliant future
Kurt will never have a "breakout game". To me a breakout game means he comes of age with a big game. He is never going to be that type of player and although I know this will not be poplular Kurt is not a very good player. He is a space eater that plays decent defense and is our best option at the 5 position right now. If the Flyers had a great 5 right now this team would be very dangerous. Not the case so you go with what you have and root for the players you have.

Toledo is not the worse team on the schedule. For my money I will say that UNC Greensboro gets that honor.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:42 AM

Thanked 15,915 Times in 6,996 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
flopping

When posted up low, it seems that most outsized centers- in lieu of pounding it out down low - rely on the 'flop' in order to draw the foul on the bigger offensive player. These floppers are well trained and will emphatically flail themselves into the front row at the slightest bump, typically drawing the charge.

Kurt falls into this trap way to often. If GM's/Toledo's/UMass' center is of the 6'8, 220# variety, there is no doubt that his job will be to get Huelsman in foul trouble immediately. Kurt needs to be smart enough NOT to post this guy up, but to instead work on getting inside him and the basket, where he is a much more effective center.

When Kurt faces a true center, whether it be Grey from Pitt or Character from Louisville, they don't back down, will initiate contact, and play bball the way it was meant to be played - HARD! These types of matchups benefit UD because Kurt likes that type of play and has proven to be very successful when physically challenged.

Problem is that few, if any, of our opponents have true centers that like to play hard, physical bball. With that in mind, Kurt has to avoid getting set up for a 'flop' as his defense is necessary for our success.
m21eagle45 (12-28-2008)
Old 12-26-2008, 01:18 PM
1st Lieutenant

RipFlyer'07 is on a distinguished road
Agreed with most posts. Don't try to make Kurt a player he is not. Let the other boys drop 20 points and in the mean time appreciate the defense Kurt is offering us in the middle.

Does he sometimes drive me crazy as well? Absolutely. But why is that - Because most of us would rather watch a reverse jam instead of seeing a good switch or hedge on a pick below the block... but that bottom line is both these plays can be worth two points.

Last edited by RipFlyer'07; 12-27-2008 at 03:10 PM..
Old 12-26-2008, 01:30 PM
Major

flyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud offlyerfan4life has much to be proud of
That is why you are not the coach.

KH has started every game of his career and the Flyers are 53-24.

When will fans get it through their thick heads that BG and UD value DEFENSE over offense and DAMMIT, KH is the best freaking defender on the team!!

He will start until he is gone and we will be fine doing that. Watch him anchor the zone, watch him block shots, box out, wear down his opponent. Watch him move the ball on offense and watch him set picks. We all know he isn't a scorer, but on this team a scorer is not needed right now! No one scores huge points every night, everyone shares.

Get off his **** back, he is doing exactly what the coaches tell him to do and is the starting center for an 11-1 team.

His two rebounds and three free throws against Auburn were the biggest plays of the season! Who knows what we see against Marquette if we lose that game.

Every year this board finds a new person to run into the ground (Binnie last year, Warren Williams the year before). And every year it is the ultimate team player who maximizes his talent that he has and does exactly what the coaches tell them to do.

Knock it the hell off guys. This is a college athlete doing his best and following a system, not everyone is Shaq.
We are using our records to defend him. Someone with some time on their hands look at the Flyers record against teams w/ winning records. I would bet it is close to .500 over Kurt's tenure as a starter. He is just solid against weaker opponents and below average against MOST good opponents. The exception being against Pitt. He needs to be in there....just not as much like I said. Here is the lineup I would LOVE to see out there in crunch times.

London Warren/Thomas/Lowery (whoever has the hot hand that night)
Marcus Johnson
Chris Johnson
Charles Little
Chris Wright

Little and Wright are formiddable against low post opponents defensively...and on the offensive end they would give FITS to any center. Kurt can defend the post better than those 2...but the difference on the offensive end and what the other team would have to handle would be a HUGE difference. Worth the small drop off on the defensive end in my opinion.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:35 PM

Thanked 15,915 Times in 6,996 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flyerfan4life View Post
Here is the lineup I would LOVE to see out there in crunch times.

London Warren/Thomas/Lowery (whoever has the hot hand that night)
Marcus Johnson
Chris Johnson
Charles Little
Chris Wright
As long as the game doesn't hinge on free throws, it's not a bad lineup. Also have to factor in Wright's propensity to get in foul trouble for no good reason. If he's forced to guard someone's center, I'm afraid he'd only play 8 total minutes! But I'd rather see that group play some run and gun throughout the 1st half with the occasional shift to the control game just to mix things up a bit.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:39 PM

AdamtheFlyer can only hope to improve
Some people will just never understand Kurt's defensive value because they only care about offense.

Mickey Perry is due to have a 15 point outing. I'll keep saying that until it happens.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:06 PM
Major

Originally Posted by rollo View Post
As long as the game doesn't hinge on free throws, it's not a bad lineup. Also have to factor in Wright's propensity to get in foul trouble for no good reason. If he's forced to guard someone's center, I'm afraid he'd only play 8 total minutes! But I'd rather see that group play some run and gun throughout the 1st half with the occasional shift to the control game just to mix things up a bit.
Well...as long as we could get the ball in to CJ and MJ's hands we wouldn't have a problem. Chris is an okay FT shooter and Charles is improving. I would say put Thomas in there...but I just LOVE the way London and Rob put pressure on the other PG.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:10 PM
Major

Originally Posted by AdamtheFlyer View Post
Some people will just never understand Kurt's defensive value because they only care about offense.

Mickey Perry is due to have a 15 point outing. I'll keep saying that until it happens.
I understand his value...but it's just like London Warren. HE is the most valuable player defensively on our team...but he has deficiencies offensively...therefore the minutes are split relatively equally w/ Lowery and Thomas usually gets about 8-10 minutes a game. There are 2 ends of the floor.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:54 PM
1st Lieutenant

Trinity is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
AAlso have to factor in Wright's propensity to get in foul trouble for no good reason. If he's forced to guard someone's center, I'm afraid he'd only play 8 total minutes!
CW hasn't been moving his feet well on defense lately. He seems more occupied with trying to block shots than keep his man from getting to the rim.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:21 PM

Thanked 10,505 Times in 4,706 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I understand his value...but it's just like London Warren. HE is the most valuable player defensively on our team...but he has deficiencies offensively...therefore the minutes are split relatively equally w/ Lowery and Thomas usually gets about 8-10 minutes a game. There are 2 ends of the floor.
London is making adjustments on offense. If you notice the minutes are going up for LW and down for RL. Along with fewer silly fouls by London, his A/TO ratio is excellent. Something we never dreamed of last year. It had to happen for us to be successful.

The other adjustment is that London has practiced his 3 point shooting. AND IT DIDN"T HELP !!
So, he quit shooting them altogether, and that did help. It's like a trip to the doctor and the doctor says, "Does it hurt when you do that? Ok, then don't do it".

We can't squeeze offense out of Kurt if it isn't there. I think Kurt already had his breakout game. He scored 12 points with 7 rebounds in the second exhibition against Gannon.
Kurt has made one major adjustment on offense that some overlook. His current freethrow percentage is 73%. That's up TWENTY % points from last year. Now THAT is important.

Those fans who are waiting for a breakout game from Kurt are setting themselves up for a lot of frustration. He knows his role and he performs it admirably to the best of his ability.
Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-27-2008)
Old 12-26-2008, 07:42 PM

Thanked 6,634 Times in 3,033 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
The other adjustment is that London has practiced his 3 point shooting. AND IT DIDN"T HELP !!
So, he quit shooting them altogether, and that did help. It's like a trip to the doctor and the doctor says, "Does it hurt when you do that? Ok, then don't do it".
Or if London were to have shoulder surgery and he asks the doctor, "Am I going to be able to shoot after the surgery," and the doctor says, "Sure," and London says, "Great, because I couldn't shoot before."
Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (12-26-2008)
Old 12-27-2008, 04:46 AM

My final statement.

If we did not have KH this season we would currently be 8-4.

End of story.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:01 AM
Colonel

Atlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud of
[QUOTE=ClearTheRunwayForWLJ;84869]My final statement.

If we did not have KH this season we would currently be 8-4.

End of story.[/QUO Did you dream this last nite?
Old 12-27-2008, 08:03 AM
Colonel

Atlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud of
Well...as long as we could get the ball in to CJ and MJ's hands we wouldn't have a problem. Chris is an okay FT shooter and Charles is improving. I would say put Thomas in there...but I just LOVE the way London and Rob put pressure on the other PG.
CJ is a OKAY FT shooter, I believe he is better than OKAY
Old 12-27-2008, 12:12 PM
Major

Originally Posted by Atlantic 10 View Post
CJ is a OKAY FT shooter, I believe he is better than OKAY
I said "Chris" is an okay free throw shooter....right after I said get the ball in CJ and MJ's hands....

Most people could tell that I was speaking of Chris WRIGHT.

And as far as us being 8-4 w/ out Kurt.....WOW!!!
Old 12-27-2008, 12:34 PM

8-4, yes. His huge rebounds and free throws against Auburn (1 pt game) and Akron (3 pt game) in two defensive battles were the keys to victory along with other players. Meaning if someone else on our roster such as Searcy played over KH in the meat of the game, down the stretch, we would be in trouble.

Also it is funny how people forget the Wofford game and how big Kurt was in the final 5 minutes. Two distinct boards and a blocked shot at the end.

So I will say it. If anyone other than KH started and played more than 20 minutes a game on this current team at center we would not be 11-1 and could be 8-4.

Offense isn't what we need on this current roster, everyone shares the scoring. Defense wins championships. The posters on this website are downright stupid if they can't see this. There is a reason why he plays. Because he is the BEST defender on the court and saves Little's and Wright's asses when they get lazy and their opponents blow by them. Who is there to be the big tree? Possibly block the shot? Thats right, good old No. 41.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ClearTheRunwayForWLJ For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-27-2008), PerrymanFan (12-27-2008), WhereWouldWeBeWithoutUD? (12-28-2008)
Old 12-27-2008, 01:27 PM
2nd Lieutenant

addicted2flyers
final statements are not followed by more statements, this is my final statement.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:01 PM

masonflyer is a splendid one to beholdmasonflyer is a splendid one to beholdmasonflyer is a splendid one to beholdmasonflyer is a splendid one to beholdmasonflyer is a splendid one to beholdmasonflyer is a splendid one to beholdmasonflyer is a splendid one to behold
8-4, yes. His huge rebounds and free throws against Auburn (1 pt game) and Akron (3 pt game) in two defensive battles were the keys to victory along with other players. Meaning if someone else on our roster such as Searcy played over KH in the meat of the game, down the stretch, we would be in trouble.

Also it is funny how people forget the Wofford game and how big Kurt was in the final 5 minutes. Two distinct boards and a blocked shot at the end.

So I will say it. If anyone other than KH started and played more than 20 minutes a game on this current team at center we would not be 11-1 and could be 8-4.

Offense isn't what we need on this current roster, everyone shares the scoring. Defense wins championships. The posters on this website are downright stupid if they can't see this. There is a reason why he plays. Because he is the BEST defender on the court and saves Little's and Wright's asses when they get lazy and their opponents blow by them. Who is there to be the big tree? Possibly block the shot? Thats right, good old No. 41.
So you are saying that without Kurt we would be 8-4 but with Kurt there is a 100% chance of beating GMU. Kurt must be able to walk on water.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:04 PM

Thanked 10,505 Times in 4,706 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Smile You are really on a roll today

Offense isn't what we need on this current roster, everyone shares the scoring. Defense wins championships. The posters on this website are downright stupid if they can't see this. There is a reason why he plays. Because he is the BEST defender on the court .
I think Marcus Johnson is the best defender on the court, and Kurt and London are tied for 2nd. But all of the starters are pretty good on D as a 5 man unit.

Also we DEFINITELY need offense, but it doesn't have to come from the same guys every game. We are set up to succeed without one player scoring 20/game.

Finally, I think we have a whole bunch of knowlegeable posters on this board that are anything but stupid, and in fact pretty savvy.

2 cents

Last edited by San Diego Flyer; 12-27-2008 at 05:08 PM..
Old 12-27-2008, 07:34 PM
Major

You use all of these instances of him getting a big rebound..or hitting a big free throw...

Who is to say that someone else couldn't have done the same thing? Or even better. You can't say for SURE that we would be 8-4 w/ out Kurt. Who knows we might even be 12-0. We can never KNOW for sure...and you are acting like you know.

And you are actually saying that OFFENSE isn't what we currently need??!! Have you watched us play LOL. We already have a more than formiddable Defense....We NEED offense. Especially from the post position. I would argue to say that might be the thing this team needs most. Other than MAYBE a couple of knock down shooters.

Also...when you are using the example of Kurt "being there" when Wright or Little get blown by...Wouldn't Searcy be MORE effective at that? Him being able to jump MUCH higher?

Oh wait a minute...everyone on this board is stupid other than you I guess.

Also, I get so SICK of people using the cliche "defense wins championships". It's exactly that...a cliche. You still have to be able to put the ball in the hoop. Period. The saying should be....."Defense plays an integral part in winning championships, but you still need to be able to play offense very well"
Mad Props to flyerfan4life For This Totally Excellent Post:
m21eagle45 (12-28-2008)
Old 12-28-2008, 01:07 AM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Our offense is struggling that is definitely a problem. Yes we get points in the paint but not the traditional way. UD needs a 5 that can score a little and get more rebounds. I also hate it when people say defense wins championships because its not true. This years team is averaging 68.5 points a game. the last 5 champs have averaged 80.5, 79.8, 78.3,88.0, and 82.7. Im sorry but points need to be scored. Also on everyone of these teams their big man may not have been their best player but he could get you 10 pts 8 boards and play good defense everynight and was capable of a 15 and 10 night here and there. KH does not have to be a great player, but UD needs and inside threat.

Also Clear the way you cannot say for certain UD would be 8-4 without KH. Another player might have been in the same position on those boards or even better position. Also other players have proven they can hit ft in the clutch even LW did against marquette.

Last edited by m21eagle45; 12-28-2008 at 01:16 AM..