UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > STEVEN E. YUHAS MEMORIAL LOUNGE > Off-Topic Gibberish

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 04-14-2019, 04:55 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 5,451 Times in 2,482 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Champion

Oh, by the way - TIGER!!!
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (04-14-2019), Lifelong Flyer Fan (04-15-2019), San Diego Flyer (04-14-2019)
Advertisement
Old 04-14-2019, 09:37 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. 5000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 2,916 Times in 1,342 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Ironic that I bent down to set a ladder on the floor on Wednesday and my back froze up in pain. Iíve never had any back problems. Good news is itís feeling better and I got to spend the last 4 days on the sofa with a heating pad and saw every shot Tiger made in his run to a 5th green jacket.

How has it been 10+ years since so many glued themselves to their TV sets to watch his magic on a Sunday afternoon? He was a different player these last 4 days. Not as many emotional swings during the rounds - as least outwardly showing them. Not as many highs and not as many lows. And I think he knows his limitations. I couldnít get ďuse toĒ seeing him hit first on second shots out in the fairways because the younger players out-drove him. That was new. But his genius has always been his imagination on shots, especially when he is in trouble. And his iron play is very close to his prime. The dude can shape a golf ball.

He left some putts out there especially in the first two rounds, but cleaned a lot of that up during the weekend. If he continues to putt well and work his irons like he did Sat-Sunday, he can continue to play and beat younger players out-driving him 20-30 yards. He appears to be in exceptional shape.

However, by far the biggest and most startling difference I saw in Tiger on Sunday was after securing the win on the 18th, he took off his cap and low and behold the guy who won is getting bald. When the heck did that happen?
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (04-15-2019), keats '91 (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 12:06 PM

Thanked 3,776 Times in 1,977 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
After the win NIKE value went up ~$22M
Old 04-15-2019, 12:16 PM

Thanked 5,396 Times in 2,666 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cj View Post
After the win NIKE value went up ~$22M
They are going to sell a bunch of those mock turtleneck shirts.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:56 PM
Staff Writer

Thanked 4,288 Times in 1,645 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
The great Joe Posnanski on Tiger's win:

https://joeposnanski.com/tiger-and-time/
Mad Props to Swampy Meadows For This Totally Excellent Post:
cj (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 02:58 PM

cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
Trump to award Tiger the Presidential Medal of Freedom.
keats '91 (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 03:40 PM

Thanked 3,566 Times in 2,359 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Nicklaus won his last major at age 46 in 1986. He won his 16th and 17th in 1980. Tiger is 43. Needs 3 more to tie the record of 18. Seems unlikely based upon the Nicklause timeline, but it's possible.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:11 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,662 Times in 1,341 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
In the end, father time always wins; he's undefeated.

However, 2019 is not 1980-86. Sports science, nutrition, training, etc... has improved greatly since then. Athletes today are able to maintain their level of play much longer than the athletes of 40 years ago. Even if you were to say that Tiger wins his last major at the age of 46, that gives him approx. 15 more tries to reach or beat 18.

Its probably not going to happen, he lost so much of his absolute prime to injury (both self inflicted and sports related) but no doubt, the chase is back on, at least for this season. And that makes golf much more interesting and entertaining.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:09 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
Tiger wins the Masters, then the Notre Dame Cathedral catches on fire? I think this was laid out in Revelations . . .
Old 04-16-2019, 03:15 PM

Thanked 1,674 Times in 714 Posts
MrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Medford View Post
In the end, father time always wins; he's undefeated.

However, 2019 is not 1980-86. Sports science, nutrition, training, etc... has improved greatly since then. Athletes today are able to maintain their level of play much longer than the athletes of 40 years ago. Even if you were to say that Tiger wins his last major at the age of 46, that gives him approx. 15 more tries to reach or beat 18.

Its probably not going to happen, he lost so much of his absolute prime to injury (both self inflicted and sports related) but no doubt, the chase is back on, at least for this season. And that makes golf much more interesting and entertaining.
I believe Tiger's advantage is mental.
So many young guys on tour grew up idolizing him. Now they match up with him on Sunday and start hitting balls into ponds and missing putts.
Tiger was far from stellar on #18, but the meltdowns that had already occurred paved the way for his bogey for the win.
Eventually, guys may get over the mental challenge, but if Tiger gets on a roll and wins a couple tournaments, his mental toughness and focus will make him difficult to match. Guys say they like the big crowds and the cheers from neighboring galleries, but can they block out the noise when the guy in the red shirt is walking up the fairway?
ClaytonFlyerFan (04-17-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 03:52 PM
Lieutenant General

Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
I think the Tiger mystigue for a lot of those guys was gone for awhile. Its now officially back, and I bet many of them loved to hear the difference between an Augusta roar, and a tiger roar for the first time in their playing careers. In fact I saw and read many of the stories from the young guns on tour who haven't experienced this. If he stays healthy and in contention for the next few years, it will grew to something even greater than what it was in his prime.

Regarding #18 he had a 2 stroke lead heading into it, he only needed to play for the 5, no reason to do anything that could potentially put him in position to bring a 6 into play. If he needed a 4, he would have played the hole different and would have got in with a 4.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:19 AM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
18 is back in play after this win, but I think he needs to get at least another one this year to tie or break Jackís record. And technically he could tie it this year. Anyway around it, golf will be the winner this year as must-watch tv. Letís hope his health holds up for another 2-3 years. If so itís going to be a fun ride because the dude can shape a golf shot like no other.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:51 AM

My favorite Tiger Wins the Masters article. Great read.

https://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/...-2019-masters/
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 10:08 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 5,267 Times in 2,137 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, I am that guy.....

I get so sick of Tiger this, Tiger that, Tiger, Tiger Tiger

When he is tied for 38th place in the Car Company Hotel chain southwest dumpster classic and they show his every movement, ignoring the 37 guys ahead of him on the leader board, I turn TV off.

They say Tiger is great for the game of golf, which may be true, but if he is so great for the game, why has at least a dozen golf courses in the Dayton area alone closed in the last decade?
Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 10:43 AM

Thanked 6,331 Times in 3,640 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
There are a bunch of reasons for the golf shortfall, and none have anything to do with Tiger or the PGA/LPGA.

The cost and time involved to play golf is prohibitive, or at least very restrictive, for most people. But it is not only golf, kids are playing sports less. I had four brothers and all five of us played multiple sports. I had five kids and all played multiple sports. I have 11 grandchildren of age to play sports, and only five play even one sport. Tennis, baseball and football have taken huge participation hits. Only soccer has gained.

It is extremely hard for golf courses to make money. The upkeep, for the great conditions people now demand is very high. It is a seven month season in the north. They must pack the course to make money, and then people start to get frustrated with waiting and play less.

Then there is the cost of the land. In many cases a developer makes a lot more money putting houses in place of a course.

I live in an area of huge population growth, so no courses are closing here, but none are opening.
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 10:51 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 5,267 Times in 2,137 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
There are a bunch of reasons for the golf shortfall, and none have anything to do with Tiger or the PGA/LPGA.

The cost and time involved to play golf is prohibitive, or at least very restrictive, for most people. But it is not only golf, kids are playing sports less. I had four brothers and all five of us played multiple sports. I had five kids and all played multiple sports. I have 11 grandchildren of age to play sports, and only five play even one sport. Tennis, baseball and football have taken huge participation hits. Only soccer has gained.

It is extremely hard for golf courses to make money. The upkeep, for the great conditions people now demand is very high. It is a seven month season in the north. They must pack the course to make money, and then people start to get frustrated with waiting and play less.

Then there is the cost of the land. In many cases a developer makes a lot more money putting houses in place of a course.

I live in an area of huge population growth, so no courses are closing here, but none are opening.

Agree 100 percent. I was sorta being sarcastic with my comment, though looking back I did not word it well at all.

I am in the same boat, as kids got older with sports and all had less time to play. Went from 3 times a week to 3 times a year if lucky. Just a shame many of my favorites in Dayton area closed, including Weatherwax which at one time was on Golf Digest top 75 public courses list.
Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 11:01 AM

I had no idea Weatherwax closed. That was a constant for all high school golfers trying to get to the state tournament from SW Ohio.

Also, Rollandia will be closing as well as it was sold to a developer.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:24 AM
Lieutenant General

Truth is, the Dayton area is well saturated with solid courses at relatively reasonable rates. SW ohio (most of ohio) is rich with quality public golf courses as well as private clubs. At the end of the day, that land is more valuable in many cases to a developer than as an income generator thru golf. Golf courses in general got oversaturated during the 90s-00s, the reason some are closing is that it was inevitable that interest was going to fall back some; people were going to find their favorites and play there.

They show tiger often, no matter his standing, because that is why many tune in. Golf Purists may not like it, but joe schmoe is often more interested in what Tiger doing than what anyone else is doing. There is a reason why ratings surge when he's in contention. I can only imagine that sunday's ratings were thru the roof despite the significantly earlier start time. CBS made the mistake of largely ignoring Jack's Sunday run in the 86s masters until it was obvious to everyone that he was in contention that day; I doubt any network wants to make that same mistake today.

You are not alone in being "that guy" who gets sick of the over the top Tiger coverage, but there is no doubting the impact he has had on the game, their purses and its popularity.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:32 AM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by BeckysTXA View Post
18 is back in play after this win, but I think he needs to get at least another one this year to tie or break Jackís record. And technically he could tie it this year. Anyway around it, golf will be the winner this year as must-watch tv. Letís hope his health holds up for another 2-3 years. If so itís going to be a fun ride because the dude can shape a golf shot like no other.

I mostly agree with this. If he's going to make a real run at 18, he needs another title this year. Who knows how much longer his back will hold up. Over the next 3+ years, taking him thru his age 46 season (the age in which Jack won his last) he'll get 3 more cracks at Augusta, and once each at Torrey Pines, Beth Page black, Pebble Beach and St Andrews; all courses that he's won a major at, perhaps a few of the other stops he's won at as well. The 2021 event at the Old Course would be the last one of his age 46 season; imagine the scene if he's crossing over the bridge on 18 getting set to win his 19th major on that Sunday afternoon?
Old 04-17-2019, 11:36 AM

CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
I have been that guy for the last few years but this past Sunday, I was rooting for him.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:30 PM

I mostly agree with this. If he's going to make a real run at 18, he needs another title this year. Who knows how much longer his back will hold up. Over the next 3+ years, taking him thru his age 46 season (the age in which Jack won his last) he'll get 3 more cracks at Augusta, and once each at Torrey Pines, Beth Page black, Pebble Beach and St Andrews; all courses that he's won a major at, perhaps a few of the other stops he's won at as well. The 2021 event at the Old Course would be the last one of his age 46 season; imagine the scene if he's crossing over the bridge on 18 getting set to win his 19th major on that Sunday afternoon?
I got tears-eyed just thinking about this. If heís got Jacks record he needs to walk off into the sunset after this tournament. Go enjoy the high school and college years with his kids. Save whatever he can of his health. And help some young players along the way cheering for whoever looks like they can break his record. Finish his life on a positive and as an ambassador of the game.

On a side note, I was at the British Open in 1999 to see the Frenchmanís biggest collapse in sports on the 18th hole. I was sitting in the stands right next to the ďburnĒ (creek) and there was a lot to see. One day we ran over to St Andrews and took the picture on that little stone bridge. At that time there was a cafe across the street from the Old Course we ate lunch at. Owned by a couple from Texas. Great burgers. That was a bunch of years ago, so who knows if itís even still there, but worth a stop if youíre in the area.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:40 PM
Lieutenant General

I was at the Old Course in 2000, a few weeks before the open was to play there. Played the Jubilee course (yes it was tough, imagine hitting a 6 iron into a par 3 with the sea on your left, and the thescoo (sp?) all up the right using borrowed clubs and not having touched a club for well over a month. Anyhoo, it was a sunday so the old course was closed per tradition (I think it was actually closed for setup for the open at that point anyways) but you were allowed to walk around the course at your own pace. Couldn't cross the bridge however on 18. Definitely worth a trip if you happen to be in Scotland.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:16 PM

I was at the Old Course in 2000, a few weeks before the open was to play there. Played the Jubilee course (yes it was tough, imagine hitting a 6 iron into a par 3 with the sea on your left, and the thescoo (sp?) all up the right using borrowed clubs and not having touched a club for well over a month. Anyhoo, it was a sunday so the old course was closed per tradition (I think it was actually closed for setup for the open at that point anyways) but you were allowed to walk around the course at your own pace. Couldn't cross the bridge however on 18. Definitely worth a trip if you happen to be in Scotland.
I was waiting for you to tell us you had a hole in one.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:57 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
I was waiting for you to tell us you had a hole in one.

I had several hole in ones that day....if you count a sand trap as a hole