Comment

Article Tools Display Modes
Better But Room for Improvement
Better But Room for Improvement
John Mad Dog Churan
Published by John C.
12-17-2007
Smile Better But Room for Improvement

COLUMBUS (OH) -- When Jim Jabir’s University of Dayton’s women’s basketball team started 0-2 there had to be some thoughts running through some players heads that,” Here we go again.” After a very difficult and disappointing 2005-2006 season, it was early but unless things turned around quickly, there would be six seniors wondering if they were going to finish their college careers far below their earlier expectations. It was then that the season indeed turned. Now 38 days later, the Flyers stand at 9-2 as they prepare for the biggest game of the season against ACC foe Clemson.

Although there may be a few coaches and media types in the A-10 that are surprised at the Flyers fast start, Jim Jabir can’t be counted as one of them. After making huge gains the previous two seasons, he felt all along that last year was a fluke.

”I think it has been building to this. The older kids are tired of losing. They have worked very hard and they’ve gotten better. They have helped us build a culture that we can all be very proud of. They have a great work ethic. Our younger kids like Kristin Daughtery have really stepped up. Where we fell short in years past, where we were uncertain, we now have more confidence.

”They play calm with a business-like attitude. They play very hard but it’s not like there is a sense of urgency in what they do. They know what the deal is, they know what to expect. It has been very exciting to see that growth and development.”

From the very beginning of the season, Jabir has utilized the entire team as nine players have appeared in every game and nine are averaging over 13 minutes per game. It is a team that has a dominant player in Nikki Oakland, but doesn’t have a real star and that is the way that Jabir likes it.

”Every good team that I have had in my career has been balanced. I don’t like coaching a team with a star. I think they are hard to coach. I don’t want to have to find ways to get a kid the ball. I’d rather work on getting the team better. I just think it creates challenges. Against Wright State, Nikki didn’t score a lot of points but it didn’t matter to her because we won.”

This truly is a team of players, not stars. The nice thing is that the other team can’t just concentrate on one or two players. In the 11 games, Nikki Oakland has led the team in scoring six times but Kiki Lund has led three times and Brittany Holterman has led twice. There have been five different players that have led the team in rebounding.

It is a team that has learned to run Jabir’s offense much better this year. All aspects of the shooting game have improved (FG, 3-PT, and FT) and the number of turnovers per game have dropped from 17.6 to 15.7 while assists are up from 14.2 to 16.5. For the first time in recent memory there are more assists than turnovers.

”There has really been an improvement in the way we run the offense. They are beginning to identify things before we really say anything to them. They are making suggestions to us. They are finding ways to manipulate it. We are adding more and they are taking advantage of it. It’s fun.”

However, it’s not just the players that have changed. If you have been to any games this year (and shame on you if you haven’t) you would have noticed a different Jim Jabir. Still into the game, but not the whirling dervish that we have seen in that past.

”I think I am a lot different this year. I think I am more relaxed. I don’t yell as much at the girls and they have gone out of their way to tell me that they appreciate this a lot more. I have finally figured it out that certain players just don’t react as well to that. Sometimes they just tighten up. I’m doing less of that and we are seeing better play on the court. I still have my moments, but I’m really trying to be more positive. I’m always going to be intense, I love it and it matters to me, but I ask more questions of the referees now and am less belligerent.

”I think you are always getting better or you are getting worse. You are always evolving. I would like to think that security has helped change me. I’m enjoying the process more and not just the outcome. I’m hoping that I continue on this path because I think it is good for me and the program. I think the kids are having more fun. We all laugh more. I have let loose on a lot of things. I really let them have more input. They are seniors and I trust them.”

Tonight’s game is not only important as the Flyers do their best to build up their post season resume’, but it is also key that they get a better understanding of where they stand as a team. There certainly has been improvement as the Flyers beat an Indiana team by 8 that completely destroyed the Flyers by 27 the previous year. They have also proven that they can win on the road as their 4-1 record indicates, but there is something about beating an athletic ACC team like Clemson. Last year they played well at Clemson but had to walk away with a moral victory after only losing by eight. This year a moral victory will not be enough.

”This is an extremely important game with Clemson. There are teams in the league that play like them, the Charlottes, Xaviers, and Temples. This is going to give us a very good indicator of where we are. We have to find a way to beat the better teams in the league to be able to win the conference. That is why this game is so important. We need to find where our weaknesses are.

“Clemson is going to be a great test for us. They are a very good team, very athletic. They are going to chase us and get after us. We need to stay composed. We are on a pace to do something positive this year but like the old cliché, you have to take one game at a time. This group is mature and intelligent enough to take that approach. We have to continue to get better.”

This is a game that the Flyers can and should win. Clemson has played two Top-20 teams but has not played particularly well in either. This is an opportunity to show the Tigers that there is a reason why big name schools don’t like coming to Dayton. In the past it has only been on the men’s side of the schedule. That is about to change.
Article Tools
By San Diego Flyer on 12-18-2007, 10:21 AM
Great article John. JJ stole a line from my coprorate days. You are either getting better or you are getting worse. There is no status quo. If you are standing still, someone is passing you.

This Flyer edition is exciting for all the reasons he gave. Hope they make noise in the A10 this year.
By John C. on 12-18-2007, 04:24 PM
I've been following UD woman's basketball for over a decade now and I have never seen this type of execution. I've watched two other coaches come and go and assist/turnover ratio was always below 1. This particular statistic is often overlooked, but I really believe that they can make some noise because they are working together like a flock of birds. Tonight is huge.
By UACFlyer on 12-19-2007, 12:37 PM
NCAAs

Incredibly, there is a distinct possibility that for the first time in history UD will have men's and women's BB teams playing in the post season. Both teams have been very successful in the NC portions of their schedules. There is no reason to suppose that the remaining few games will change that.

Thus, the future of the men and women will hinge on their success in the conference, particularly in road games.

There is reason for optimism. Considering football, soccer, volleyball,...and now basketball, we may well be experiencing the most successful athletics PROGRAM in UD's history,.....a solid Division 1 program across the board.
By UDBrian on 12-19-2007, 10:52 PM
This team has worked very hard to get better. I agree that both bball teams can make the NCAA tourney if they take care of business on the road. It would be a fitting end for six hard working ladies who took a chance on Dayton and coach Jabir AND a fitting end for Jimmie and Brob who took a chance on BG and Dayton.
By New Guy on 12-19-2007, 11:10 PM
The key to the season will be how we match up with GW. After Tuesday, though, I think this team will back down from no one.
Comment

Article Tools