UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-27-2012, 08:42 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FlyingArrow View Post
For Yates and Hanlan, it's not clear we still wanted them after Jevon Thomas committed. Either that, or they didn't want to compete for the playing time.
It had the feel of several good players enjoying the local recruiting attention (maybe a little too cavalierly), to the point of wanting to write their own plan. Their was an undercurrent of working the process with a bit of arrogance.

When we backed off there was a bit of relief.
Advertisement
Old 03-27-2012, 09:11 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,956 Times in 534 Posts
shapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Medford View Post
I could see Redford take advantage of the grad school rule (assuming he's on track to graduate this spring) and transfer down to level to get his masters in an area that X doesn't offer while picking up more playing time. He's as good of a shooter as you could hope for, but he's far to short and slow to survive on the defensive end at this level. If he could find a school where he wouldn't be exposed defensively, he could put up near 20 points a night just by launching threes. Of course that assumes that he wants one last run at playing time. For all I know, he could content with his role and education at X.
This year he was far from even being a "good" 3-pt shooter. Redford only shot 34.1% from 3-pt range this year, good for 4th best on his own team. The NCAA average this year was 34.3%, so he is essentially an average 3-pt shooter who also is a defensive liability.

He averaged 3min/game in X's last 7 games and scored a total of zero points in those games.

Who knows if it is related to his knee surgery, but his shot just isn't there. Before he knee injury his shooting prowess covered that liability. Now there is no reason to play him. It would not surprise me at all if he was not on X's roster next year.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:13 AM
General

Thanked 4,319 Times in 2,123 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
I thought Cripe left on his own? Did he redshirt, can't remember.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:51 AM

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
Redford is still a great shooter. However, when a player is one trick pony teams can easily account for that and take away the trick. When I saw X play IMO Redford's shot selection was the problem, not his shooting ability.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:29 AM

Thanked 6,122 Times in 4,168 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by springborofan View Post
There was talk that Lyons may leave (hopefully). Also Redford has his redshirt year left but they could tell him that he is done (UD has done this a couple of times). McKenzie could leave also.
Lyons told The Cincinnati Enquirer after the Baylor game on Friday that he is coming back next year.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/xavier/2...senior-season/

Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 View Post
Is McKenzie actually on an athletic scholarship, or is he on some combo of academic/other? I only ask because (a) he is a Moeller guy, (b) X traditionally has a big guy or 2 who went to high school at one of the GCL schools, and (c) more often than not, it seems they've historically had at least 13 guys on the roster.
McKenzie is on a full scholarship.

Originally Posted by Sea Bass View Post
wouldn't be surprised to Martin and/or Mckenzie decide to go elsewhere.
Martin was a not a full qualifier, he had to sit out a year after high school, so if he transferred somewhere else, he would lose a year of eligibility, so that is not likely to happen.

Originally Posted by Sea Bass View Post
Redford is still a great shooter. However, when a player is one trick pony teams can easily account for that and take away the trick. When I saw X play IMO Redford's shot selection was the problem, not his shooting ability.
Exactly. He's still a great shooter, but opposing defenses are all over him now on the perimeter, so he is being forced to rush his shot. He almost never drives to the basket, so he is very easy to defend.

As far as Mack recruiting 2012 players, maybe Mack knows a player(s) is/are transferring out. Otherwise, I guess this would be overrecruiting.

Their offer to Cousins may be contingent upon someone transferring out, so Cousins may wait to see what happens with X's roster/the rosters at other schools, before he makes his final decision. I don't think coaches can overrecruit anymore anyway since the NCAA passed the new rule regarding making the scholarships 4 year scholarships now instead of being one year scholarships that are renewed annually, like the scholarships used to be. If no players transfer out of X, then maybe the offer to Cousins will be withdrawn.

Last edited by ud2; 03-27-2012 at 11:40 AM..
Old 03-27-2012, 11:49 AM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Medford View Post
I thought Cripe left on his own? Did he redshirt, can't remember.
I thought Cripe left on his own to play down a level with his last year of eligibility. But maybe he was encouraged to leave. The only other case I can think of was walk-on turned scholarship player Andy Metzler who had graduated and had a year of eligibility left. Dayton was pretty horrible then, and Metzler actually was one of the better players on the squad so I believe he would have been welcomed back to the team, but he decided to not utilize that last year of eligibility and instead got on with his professional, non-basketball career.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:53 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,008 Posts
Buster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond repute
Cripe was redshirted and graduated after his third year of play and still had one year left. However, I think he wanted to play a larger role in his final year so he transferred to Northern Kentucky for his final year of eligibility.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:06 PM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Also, incoming X freshman point guard Semaj Christon was rated at 5 stars by Scout.com, http://xavier.scout.com/a.z?s=442&p=8&c=1&nid=5309047. He is X's first ever 5 star recruit, so he may potentially cut into the playing time that Dee Davis will get, which I would imagine would not make Davis happy.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:08 PM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,914 Times in 2,926 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
I don't think coaches can overrecruit anymore anyway since the NCAA passed the new rule regarding making the scholarships 4 year scholarships now instead of being one year scholarships that are renewed annually, like the scholarships used to be.
Are you sure about that? Haven't read about such a change anywhere and I can't possibly see coaches or ADs being in favor of it.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:16 PM
1st Lieutenant

funeralplanner is a name known to allfuneralplanner is a name known to allfuneralplanner is a name known to allfuneralplanner is a name known to allfuneralplanner is a name known to allfuneralplanner is a name known to all
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
Also, incoming X freshman point guard Semaj Christon was rated at 5 stars by Scout.com, http://xavier.scout.com/a.z?s=442&p=8&c=1&nid=5309047. He is X's first ever 5 star recruit, so he may potentially cut into the playing time that Dee Davis will get, which I would imagine would not make Davis happy.

Area for improvement....Defense and 3 point shooting.....
Old 03-27-2012, 01:25 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Swampy Meadows View Post
Are you sure about that? Haven't read about such a change anywhere and I can't possibly see coaches or ADs being in favor of it.
It definitely was passed for football and would assume that it did for basketball as well. I know the Big10 was a big supporter of it other than Wisconson. There have been several articles about football coaches at places like Michigan taking advantage of this rule for the class they just signed this past Feb.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Swampy Meadows View Post
I'm pretty sure, this article says that it is technically at the discretion of the school as to whether the scholarship is a multi-year scholarship. I was wrong, the scholarships can actually be awarded for any where from 2-4 years, not just 4 years. I am assuming that all schools would give out 4 year scholarships so as to give the impression that they stand behind the player 100% and are not going to cut him/her loose at the first opportunity when they find a better player.

There was an override vote in February 2012 to repeal this rule, but the override vote failed, so the new rule is still in effect. This new rule was also adopted in conjunction with paying the players approximately $2,000/year from now on for incidental expenses not covered by their scholarship. The $2k rule is still under review. However, due to a later delay/review in implementing the $2k rule after the $2k rule was first passed into rule:

"Recruits who signed national letters-of-intent in November will be able to collect the money they were promised. Those who sign in February and April will not get that money, said David Berst, the NCAA's vice president for governance in Division I."

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...l-2000-stipend

"The board also approved a measure that will give individual schools the authority to award scholarships on a multiple-year basis.

Under the current model, those scholarships are renewed annually and can be revoked for any reason. If adopted, schools could guarantee scholarships for the player's entire career and would be unable to revoke it based solely on athletic performance. Scholarships could still be pulled for reasons such as poor grades, academic misconduct or other forms of improper behavior.

Ridpath said he's personally been involved with 50 or 60 appeals cases after a coach pulled a player's scholarship.

'The reason usually is they find a prettier girl to bring to the dance,' he said. 'If you're Frank Beamer or Nick Saban, they make a lot of money, and they should be able to coach that kid up.'"

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...-rules-changes

"Critics of the annual scholarships had said athletes were unfairly losing them for poor performance or after they had become injured."

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...an-falls-short

Last edited by ud2; 03-27-2012 at 01:36 PM..
Old 03-27-2012, 05:17 PM

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
Cripe and Cain Doliboa are the two UD players who come to mind. But in the case of Cripe IIRC UD played one scholly down that year so it wouldn't be a numbers issue. Doliboa was a numbers issue but you had the circumstances about whether he would or wouldn't get a redshirt year. Andy Metzler is similar but he had no interest in grad school. And then Norman Plummer but that was more other issues.

You don't have to pull the scholarship. Most transfer voluntarilly once the facts of future PT are laid out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-27-2012, 08:47 PM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,568 Times in 5,077 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
I think that Griffin Mckenzie gets booted from gangsta nation.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:59 PM

Thanked 10,123 Times in 5,859 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by shapanud View Post
His team is playing Boys and Girls? I have concerns about the level of competition he plays against if he plays in a co-ed high school league.
Boys and Girls is ranked #25 in USA Today. Also Mt Vernon is ranked about #8 in the East by USA Today.
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-28-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 11:51 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 4,000 Times in 1,176 Posts
THirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond repute
Committed to Oklahoma. Bummer

https://twitter.com/#!/NYCHoops
Old 03-28-2012, 11:52 AM

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
not surprising. Usually the first visit has the best shot. I am sure that 1) it isn't a surprise 2) the staff has a plan.

They need to explain it to us!!!
Old 03-28-2012, 12:04 PM
Captain

UDan71 will become famous soon enoughUDan71 will become famous soon enough
Disappointing but look at bright side

At least he's not going to the team 45 miles south.

That still leaves us with a shot at Kedar Edwards and the Ridenour young man (similarities to the Norris Cole situation?), who's video is impressive. Either would be a solid addition.

Let's hope we can get Ryan Taylor (huge get). That would make the class.

One more name to keep in mind: Dickerson.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:27 PM

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
Not a surprise. He had an offer for a long time and was clearly holding out for bigger.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to UDDoug For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-28-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 02:32 PM
Major

westchesterflyer is a name known to allwestchesterflyer is a name known to allwestchesterflyer is a name known to allwestchesterflyer is a name known to allwestchesterflyer is a name known to allwestchesterflyer is a name known to all
The website of the local paper (lohud.com) confirms the Oklahoma story.

Time to move on.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:45 PM
Major

Iguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by DallasFlyer View Post
I thought Cripe left on his own to play down a level with his last year of eligibility. But maybe he was encouraged to leave. The only other case I can think of was walk-on turned scholarship player Andy Metzler who had graduated and had a year of eligibility left. Dayton was pretty horrible then, and Metzler actually was one of the better players on the squad so I believe he would have been welcomed back to the team, but he decided to not utilize that last year of eligibility and instead got on with his professional, non-basketball career.
Cripe had graduated and still had a year of eligibility left. I don't think that the current rule where you could transfer to a DI school after graduating without sitting was in effect at the time. I'm not sure if he was asked to leave, but he had to know his playing time would be limited. Big Des was the center of the future at the time. I also think he had some ties to NKU (high school teammates on the team?). Whatever the reason, it was probably for the best. Cripe had a good season at NKU, got to play in the NBA-DL, and has played overseas.

One player who was "asked to leave" under BG was Chris Spears. He got in trouble for using his roommates credit card without permission, but really BG wanted him gone because he was terrible. I've heard from someone close to the team that BG pulled his assistants off to the side during his first practice and asked if Chris Spears actually had a scholarship or if there was some mistake. He came in so out of shape that he had to pull himself out of some basic drills. I think BG used that scholarship on Nick Stafford.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:34 PM
General

Thanked 1,266 Times in 784 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDan71 View Post
At least he's not going to the team 45 miles south.

That still leaves us with a shot at Kedar Edwards and the Ridenour young man (similarities to the Norris Cole situation?), who's video is impressive. Either would be a solid addition.

Let's hope we can get Ryan Taylor (huge get). That would make the class.

One more name to keep in mind: Dickerson.
what i'm getting on Ryan Taylor is that he was offered or decommitted from Louisville. Is this the same recruit?
Old 03-28-2012, 05:53 PM
Brigadier General

FlyerFanatic08 has a spectacular aura aboutFlyerFanatic08 has a spectacular aura aboutFlyerFanatic08 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Flyer 86 View Post
what i'm getting on Ryan Taylor is that he was offered or decommitted from Louisville. Is this the same recruit?
yes it is
Old 03-29-2012, 04:05 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,151 Times in 2,712 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs...cxtype=feedbot

Missed out on this one. At least he didn't go to X.