Comment

Article Tools Display Modes
Now The Real Fun Begins
Now The Real Fun Begins
Jim Meadows
Published by Swampy Meadows
01-06-2010
Now The Real Fun Begins

BEVERLY HILLS (MI) -- Now that the Flyers have gotten the OOC portion of their slate out of the way, it is time, as the title of this piece indicates, for the real entertainment to begin -- the Atlantic 14 Regular Season Funfest! UD logged an 11-3 record vs. their non-con combatants, just one victory shy of the 12-2 total that “FTS” had crystal balled. The thinking here was that the Flyboys would go 2-1 in PR and lose to NMU at “The Pit”. Close, but no Macanudo. Who really cares anyway, it’s all water in the Greater Miami River now, right?

“FTS” has also perused the conference tea leaves and sees a 14-2 outcome for BG and the Boys in the A-10. Here is how I believe they will arrive there:

January 9 Duquesne

OOC Record: 9-5, including losses at Western Carolina, at Ooey-Pooey and at ODU by 9, a team that UD handled by 8.

Prediction: Win

Guy to watch out for: Michael Talley III, a high scoring (29ppg) PG out of Detroit who is the son of the University of Michigan hoopster of the same name. Unfortunately for the Dukes, Talley doesn’t arrive until next season.

Comments: I hate to do this to my father-in-law (who attended Duquesne Prep, Duquesne and Duquesne Law School) but your boys are going down, Dad.

January 13 at Fordham

OOC Record: 2-10. Wins against Sacred Heart of the NEC and Stony Brook from the American East are all that the A-10 doormats have to show for themselves.

Guy to watch out for: Jio Fontan. Oops.

Comments: It’s been awhile since the Flyers have played in what was once their home-away-from-home back in the ‘50s and ‘60s, Madison Square Garden. With their best player (Fontan) gone to USC and their Head Coach (Dereck Whittenburg) toast, the Rams have successfully retired the annual “A-10 Train Wreck Award” trophy.

January 16 at Xavier

OOC Record: 8-5, with Florida yet to be faced on February 13th. Maybe Chandler Parsons can throw one of these babies in at the buzzer vs. X:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBs0P...layer_embedded

Losses include Baylor and the “Timex Game of the Year” vs. Butler. Those Mouskies take a licking and keep on ticking!

Guy to watch out for: If you are a Dayton player defending an inbounds pass, keep one eye on Coach Chris Mack at all times. Otherwise, the Flyers should be on the lookout for Jordan Crawford. In case you hadn’t heard, he dunked on LeBron in a pickup game, which immediately made him one of the 5 best players in college basketball history.

Comments: Why in the world is this tilt being played at 11:00 in the morning? Is it so the Eggsavior students won’t get all liquored-up before the game? Dollars to donuts, they’ll just drink all night and show up at the Sphinctas Center totally ‘faced. Plus the Mouskie student section doesn’t have Sean Miller around to beg them to get “fired up” for the UD game this year. Regardless, our long (Flyer) National nightmare is over.

January 20 George Washington

OOC Record: 10-3. Victories over several hyphenated scools like UNCW and UMBC. Questionable losses to 6-7 Oregon State, Big Least also-ran Providence and Hahvahd.

Guy to watch out for: Damian Hollis. The 6’8” senior is averaging 15 ppg, 5 rpg. 2 apg and 1 bpg. He’s the man in Karl Hobbs’ universe. BTW, don’t forget to count how many players you have on the floor, coach.

Comments: Karmatically speaking, having to play George Washington on President’s Day should somehow work in the Colonials’ favor, right? Nope.

January 23 at Saint Joseph's

OOC Record: A really disappointing 4-8, with Towson and Penn yet to come. How does any self-respecting A-10 school lose to an awful DePaul team, plus Rider, Cornell and Princeton? ‘Splain that to me, would ya.

Guys to watch out for: SJU has 4 players averaging double figures, including pesky freshman PG Carl Jones, the pride of Garfield Heights, Ohio.

Comments: This is a really good year to be facing Phil Martelli and company on the road in Philly. Not even Joe Lunardi stacking the Bracketology deck in their favor can help the Hawks this season.

January 26 Rhode Island

OOC Record: 12-1. A loss to Anthony Grant-less VCU is the only blemish on their schedule. Then again, wins vs. Brown, HC and my old UD philosophy professor John Lahey’s school -- Quinnipiac -- are not overly impressive. Rhody struggled in their most recent contest vs. Akron, too.

Lahey linky goodness: http://www.quinnipiac.edu/x50.xml

Guy to watch out for: The Rams feature Nikola Malesevic from Uzice…where the heck is that? Jimmy Baron is gone, right? Good. Book a Flyer victory.

Comments: Hopefully the ghost of Dustin Hellenga has been exorcised from UD Arena.

January 30 at St. Bonaventure

OOC Record: They should be “the Bakers” instead of “the Bonnies.” Bona is 7-6 vs. a cupcake-laden schedule featuring the likes of Lemoyne, Binghamton, Norfolk State and Savannah State.

Guy to watch out for: If you are CW, JB, KH or DS you’re gonna want to know where Andrew Nicholson is at all times…the dude can block the sun. He leads the Bonnies in ppg, rpg, bpg and ft %. Too bad he doesn’t have any supporting cast.

Comments: Ahhh, Olean, NY in late January…getting there is half the fun! Most years this road game would strike fear in the hearts of Flyer fans. Thankfully, this isn’t ‘most years.’

February 6 Xavier

OOC Record: 8-5, with a 2/13 date vs. Florida. X opened their season vs. YSU, BGSU and Sacred Heart, while UD faced Creighton, G-Tech and Villanova. Yeah, that’s about equal.

Guys to watch out for: If I’m the UD Arena timekeeper, Terrell Holloway; if you are a water fountain in the hallway outside of the X locker room, the whole **** Mouskie squad, coaches and walk-ons included.

Comments: 12:00 PM ain’t much better than 11:00AM, is it? At least the UD students get an extra hour of quality pre-game shuteye. Like last year, this one won’t be close.

February 10 Charlotte

OOC Record: 10-3 with UT coming up tonight. Talk about a bi-polar scheduling job: the 49ers played games against pushovers like Elon, UNC-Asheville, Hofstra, Yale and Winston-Salem State but also faced Duke, Louisville, G-Tech and Tennessee. Yowza.

Guy to watch out for: Shamari Spears (late of BC) is the leading scorer and rebounder for Bobby Lootz.

Comments: The 22 point thumping of Slick Rick and Lullville is muy deceiving, as three top players for the Cards were injured and didn’t suit up vs. Charlotte. In spite of that fact, it’s still fun to watch Pitino lose.

February 13 at Saint Louis

OOC Record: 9-5. Lotta hyphenated and directional schools on the OOC slate here: Southeast Missouri State, Southern Illinois, Eastern Illinois and UM-KC.

Guys to watch out for: You’re kidding me…Tommy Liddell and Kevin Lisch actually ran out of eligibility? I thought for sure that the two of them had been granted a perpetual senior year or something.

Comments: Majerus inked Chicago hotshot guard Mike McCall from Foreman HS, but he won’t be able to help until next season. Ricky does have Femi John on the roster this year, however. That's his name, not an adjective.

February 18 La Salle

OOC Record: 7-6, with Penn planned for the 20th. Head-scratching losses to Cornell and Binghamton, but the Frenchies did beat Davidson at Davidson. Go figure.

Guys to watch out for: Senior Rodney Green is the Explorers’ scoring leader. If ABC college football announcer Keith Jackson did college hoops, he would say of Freshman Aaric Murray “He’s a hoss.”

Comments: The ‘Splorers open the A-10 portion of their schedule tomorrow night at home with Eggsavior. That tilt should tell the rest of the league a lot about John Giannini’s team right away.

February 21 at Duquesne

OOC Record: 9-5, which includes a 75-72 overtime squeaker on the road vs. D-II Arkansas-Monticello.

Guy to watch out for: Eric Evans. I saw him brick 3 or 4 consecutive three-pointers in the Michigan HS All Star Game and then turn around and nail 3 of ‘em in a row. Let’s hope he does more of the former rather than the latter.

Comments: I think I smell a road trip for Mrs. Swampy and me to her hometown. Hello, Danny’s Hoagies on Route 51!

February 24 at Temple

OOC Record: 11-3, with Penn still to come on January 11th. Only losses are to Georgetown, St. John’s and by 32 to Kansas. The Owls looked a helluva lot worse vs. the Jayhawks than the Flyers did in the NCAAs last year. Fran Dunphy and company did, however, beat Villanova and UD obviously didn’t.

Prediction: Loss

Guys to watch out for: Senior Ryan Brooks is good for 15 ppg. Junior Lavoy Allen averages 10 ppg and 10 rpg…your basic double-double.

Comments: You can’t win ‘em all and the Flyers come close to running the A-10 table, but unfortunately the streak ends here.

February 27 Massachusetts

OOC Record: 6-7, with Baylor yet to come on the 23rd. WH is saying WTF. Consecutive losses to Central Florida and Cornell to open the year will prompt such a response. UMass did, however, bury Arkansas-Ft. Smith 94-68, so they have that going for them….which is nice.

Guy to watch out for: Ricky Harris. He’s already launched 84 three pointers but also manages to turn the ball over 4 times a game.

Comments: The UMass roster features 5’11” PG Lee Mongo. He’s just a pawn in the game of life. There is nothing like some home cookin’ to help the Flyers recover from a tough road loss at Temple.

March 4 at Richmond

OOC Record: 11-4. What I want to know is how did the Arachnids get to schedule 15 OOC games when the rest of the world only played 13 or 14? I know Bill & Mary is supposedly a decent team this year, but that is a “bad loss” for the Spideys, RPI be ****ed.

Prediction: Loss

Guy to watch out for: I love Kevin Anderson’s game. He’s got that silent assassin vibe going for him, as he showed in last year’s A-10 Tournament vs. the Flyers. And he does it with a smile on his face, which is really disheartening.

Comments: This will set up a steel cage, grudge-game re-match in Atlantic City.

March 6 Saint Louis

OOC Record: 9-5. I’m sure Billikens’ fans are extremely proud of their team’s victory over Rockhurst. The only thing that the D-II Hawks have going for them is that Lee Boddie (HS teammate of CW’s at Trotwood-Madison) is on their roster.

Guy to watch out for: If I’m the Hickory BBQ on Brown Street, I would go out of my way to welcome the arrival of Rick Majerus, the self-proclaimed “BBQ sauce guy.” Here are some other interesting quotes from Thick Rick:

http://www.activejoints.com/majerus/majquotes.html

Comments: The Flyers head to Atlantic City with a regular season-ending victory, a 25-5 overall record and a bye into the 2nd round of the Atlantic 10 Conference Tournament. Keep your calendars open for 1:00PM the afternoon of Sunday, March 14th.

That’s it “From the Swamp.”
You can email me at: swampy@udpride.com
Article Tools
By Figgie123 on 01-06-2010, 08:39 AM
The Spiders got 15 games in non-conference the same way the Flyers got 15 games in non-conference last year. They played in an exempt tournament which allowed 2 home games, before the semifinals and finals at South Padre. (Us - Chicago)
By UACFlyer on 01-06-2010, 10:49 AM
Optimistic...

14-2 ? Swampy, you are one optimistic fellow!
By udx2 on 01-06-2010, 02:58 PM
Made my day to see this 14 -- 2 prediction, particularly with the win in Cincy.
By Buster Goode on 01-12-2010, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by UACFlyer View Post
14-2 ? Swampy, you are one optimistic fellow!
I'll say so....I say we go 11-5 and on the bubble again going into the A10 tournament.
By Buster Goode on 02-25-2010, 12:38 PM
ouch...
Comment