Comment

Article Tools Display Modes
Twitterverse
Twitterverse
Jim Meadows
Published by Swampy Meadows
11-27-2010
Twitterverse

BEVERLY HILLS (MI) –- 140 characters is all that ya get. Yet somehow, many college hoop and sports media types are able to jam more info into a Tweet than they sometimes do in an entire column or article. As an added bonus, they will Tweet things they might never, ever say in the traditional media. For example:

--Ken Pomeroy on the Savannah State/UD close shave:

Sav St/Dayton is worth a look on Pixelvision. Still unlikely to happen, but would be upset of the year so far. Sav St up 3 with 9 to go.

Dayton survives a potential game-losing 3 at the buzzer. Incredible. That was the least watchable game tonight according to FanMatch.

Savannah State over Dayton would be a mild surprise compared to Chaminade over Michigan State...

WLW’s Lance McAllister on the (lack of a) UC crowd at a home game:

Crowd at UC tonight? Listening on radio I can hear the squeaking shoes, the ball bouncing and Mick calling plays.

WHIO’s Voice of the Flyers Larry Hansgen:

You're not supposed to put valuables in checked luggage, but try taking the family jewels through airport security!

Went with son to get Call of Duty Black Ops game last night. Every 30-year old living in his parent's basement was in line in front of us.

St. Joe Joe Lunardi:

Called a game tonight where the winner (Penn State) shot 1-21 from 3PT. Combined, Penn St and St Joe's were 5-42 from the arc (.119). Yuk.

BTW, so glad the Ohio St prez isn't on the Men's Basketball Committee. His Boise St comments are even more ignorant than usual BCS blather.

Brandy Pearl (wife of UT coach Bruce) comparing her husband to Jesus:

Now I know of two Jewish men who have been crucified. Lord be with my hubby’s spirit. We will get thru this.

Gregg Doyel from CBS Sportsline on Brandy Pearl:

Bruce Pearl's wife compares him to Jesus. Wrong. Who's a Biblical car salesman? That's Pearl.

More goofy goodness from Gregg Doyel:

Rule on cell-phone ringtones: The louder the ring, the bigger the douchebag.

Good Lord what is Ohio State WEARING? Looks like someone robbed the local Goodwill.

OSU penalized for "giving a sign to the crowd"?!? Hey, refs. I'm giving a sign to you right now. Guess what it is?

Few days ago I Googled myself, got 31,000 hits. (Yeah, so?) Today: 264,000. What the HELL? Did I screw a rabbit?

Fading Derek Jeter wants 6 years, $150 million. Don't forget to ask for a unicorn, Derek.

Does Lupica have Twitter? Has he heard of Twitter? Has he heard of that big ol' world outside NYC? Smug little clown.

Favre got Mangini fired with NYJ. Now he gets Childress fired. The Grim Reaper wears Wranglers.

Jim Leyritz not guilty of DUI manslaughter despite (1) being DUI and (2) slaughtering someone.

Gary Parrish of CBS Sportsline:

Back at the Old Spice. Some fan just dropped a "Hey ref, f*ck you!" right in the middle of Disney World. Pretty sure that's illegal.

Sat with Temple coach Fran Dunphy for part of the Georgia-Notre Dame game. He was worried about his team's 11-day layoff. Now I know why.

That's the difference between Haddadi and teammate Hasheem Thabeet. Thabeet would never hit a woman. Hell, he wouldn't even box out a woman.

Best quote so far from Old Spice: Wisconsin's Bo Ryan frustrated and yelling at M Bruesewitz. "You need a haircut because you can't hear!"

Recruiting Guru Dave Telep of ESPN.com on BG’s buddy Fran Fraschilla:

Fran Fraschilla to young coaches: "Don't mess with happy." Point was enjoy the job u have. Great point!

TSN’s Mike DeCourcy on MSU:

First Kalin Lucas doesn't run the play that's called, later abandons ball without knowing where Summers is. A senior. When does he learn?

And on college football:

Why college football is absurd: "Boise: hasn't played anybody." They play somebody. They lose. Now "look how much they stink losing to them!"

Started covering Paterno when he was 58. Spent 9 years on the beat. Was CERTAIN I'd write his retirement story. Left beat 18 years ago.

ESPN.com’s Paul Biancardi:

Life is a give and take, but so many are not willing to give what it takes.

Alan Stein of StrongerTeam.com:

Thought for the season: “Be concerned with your preparation/execution, not theirs. Don’t worry about them. Let them worry about you.”

Being average is easy. “The two hardest things to handle in life are failure and success.”

“There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. That’s its only reward.”

The Detroit Freep’s Michael Rosenberg on the Lions/Patriots Turkey Day game:

Thanksgiving Day, light staffing on the copy desk. Perhaps I can get "big stinking pile of s---" into my column.

I actually think the Lions have a chance to win today. In related news, when I'm alone I hear voices.

America: Please stop complaining that the Lions play on Thanksgiving. You only have to watch them once a year.

Tepid response to Kid Rock here at Ford Field. Perhaps the fire, giant American flag and big flashing lights were too subtle.

More Mike Rosenberg Twitter goodness:

ESPN's "24 hours of college basketball" reminds me of John Calipari's recruiting pitch: "24 hours of college."

New rule: If you've never been on a plane before, you're not allowed to fly. Let's keep the skies safe and the security line moving.

I would tweet from the UFC matches in Detroit but I'm too busy being happy I'm not there.

Tony Parker should issue a short press release: "What did you expect? I'm French."

That’s it “From the Swamp.”
You can email me at: swampy@udpride.com
Article Tools
Comment

Article Tools