» Advertisement
Comment

Article Tools Display Modes
Back in the Saddle
Back in the Saddle
Published by Swampy Meadows
02-25-2011
Back in the Saddle

BEVERLY HILLS (MI) -- Well Mrs. Swampy and I just returned from 6 days of well-deserved R&R in Florida -- and we did so not a moment too soon!

While in the Sunshine State:

-- We managed to escape the Motor City on Sunday at 7:00AM, just ahead of the Second Coming of Snowpocalypse that dropped 10” of heavy duty white stuff.

-- We tried to avoid the Portuguese Men of War that were frequenting the beaches on the Atlantic and the stingrays that were everywhere when we dipped our toes into the waters of the Gulf of Mexico. We witnessed a kid on each coast who got stung and it didn’t sound like either one of them was enjoying it much.

-- We drove across the lower portion of Florida via “Alligator Alley” which cuts thru the Everglades. Never done that before and it’s nothing but swampland as far as the eye can see for about 100 miles. Impressive.

-- Had the best lobster roll I have ever eaten at a place called Boston’s (after my hometown) in Delray Beach, Florida served by a lady from the Bronx named Peggy. Go figure.

-- We ended up sitting next to the parents of a former co-worker of mine at The Hotel Networks while we were having breakfast at our hotel in Ft. Myers. What are the odds of that happening?

But now I’m back in the saddle again and just in time for what could be the biggest game of the season for the Flyers!

I’m speaking of course of the road game on March 5th vs. George Washington and the Colonials’ dreaded 2-2-2 zone defense!

As Doug Harris pointed out in the DDN before we left, UD has enjoyed a rare, three game stretch of home contests which allowed them to rest, practice and get ready to run the table and help build their post-season resume, without the bother of having to travel:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayto...h-1085433.html

The victory in the first leg of the homestand vs. Duquesne provided the Flyers with another Top 50 RPI win. One of UD’s other previous Top 50 RPI scalps (according to KenPom.com and besides New Mexico) was George Mason, who got some serious ink from USA Today this week:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...urnament_N.htm

Other than the crucial GW road tilt next Saturday, UD’s other two remaining home games are a rematch with Thick Rick and the SLU Billikens, a team that UD has already beaten at their place to open the A-10 festivities.

Oh yeah and then there is the chance to demoralize another Top 50 RPI team on Sunday at home when the Fly Boys face off against a squad they beat by 25 in similar circumstances last season.

I think I might jump on I-75 early Sunday morning and check that one out, just for grins.

Hope to see you there.

That’s it “From the Swamp.”
You can email me at: swampy@udpride.com
Article Tools
By Figgie123 on 02-26-2011, 08:37 AM
Swampy, Duquesne isn't Top50 RPI, and neither is New Mexico. Currently, Mason is our only Top50 RPI win.
By Swampy Meadows on 02-26-2011, 09:16 AM
Figgie:

I was gonna put "RPI according to KenPom.com" in there. Guess I should have, huh? Now that you mention it, I will.
Comment

Article Tools