Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2021, 09:43 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,761 Times in 1,129 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Medford View Post
A large factor is how the Pac12, Big 10 and ACC respond in kind.

For this exercise, lets say both Texas and OU go to the SEC. Would the B10 rekindle conversations they had previously (allegedly) with UNC, Virginia and/or GTech? to get to 16. Or would they look at pick up Kansas and someone else in the B12? Academics and research money I've read dwarf that by major college football. I know Kansas is an AAU member, not sure about anyone else in the B12. The Big 10 shares all of their research information w/ each other and that is immensely valuable to each school.

Does the Pac12 try and pick up a few schools to get to 16 as well? Kansas could be attractive, not so sure about the others, especially if they were trying to expand to 16 and need 4 more schools in total.

Would Notre Dame see the writing on the wall and commit to full conference membership in either the ACC or Big 10? Would the ACC be willing to take on West Virginia along with Notre Dame to get to 16? What about UC or Memphis or anyone else from the AAC?

May not be much left of the Big 12 if/when Texas and OU depart and the dust settles elsewhere. The ACC, B12, B10, SEC and P12 as currently compromised are made up of 64 football playing schools. Throw in Notre Dame plus a few schools in the AAC that might be attractive to the ACC or B10 and that leaves somewhere around 1-3 current B12 schools that have to be wetting the bed at the moment. How comfortable do you think the ADs at Kansas St, Iowa St, Baylor, TT and TCU are sleeping right now?

Times....they are a changing.
I was pondering the shifts myself earlier today. There currently are 64 teams in the Power 5. If it goes to a Power 4 of 16 teams each it is still 64. Easy Peasy, right? No, there are still problems with this.

1) ND may decide it’s time to join a conference. Now there are 65 schools. In theory, one school could be left without a chair when the music stops. My gut tells me WVU only because I don’t think the ACC or Big 10 are interested and the SEC would be at 16

2) If the Big 12 implodes there is a geographic misalignment. Only one conference is primarily West of the Mississippi. I think the 3 other Texas schools would band together and go to the PAC12. That leaves 5 schools; 4 West of the Mississippi (Kansas, K St., IA St. and OK St.) fighting it out for one last spot in the PAC12, and WVU. How does the ACC absorb one or two schools so far West? Does the Big 10 want Kansas?

3) Politics. Just like X doesn’t want UD in the Big East, maybe Iowa doesn’t want IA St. in the Big 10? Maybe Kansas state politics plays a role in forcing Kansas and K St. to be a package deal similar to VA Tech backing into the ACC.

It would be a cut throat environment among 4 schools (K, KST, OKST, AND IAST) that have been aligned in the same conference since,I think, the old Big 8 days (not sure if OKST was in Big 8 or SWC). Even getting into one of the Big 4 isn’t ideal if it means all your conference foes reside in the ACC. Brutal for these schools.

Biggest winner in the past 15 years from all the previous realignment? Louisville. By far.